Topic Stats

• 21,401 posts
  • 517 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 hours ago by o-din
  • Topic is favorited by 84 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 3,082 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

9901678_012221-cc-cnn-troops-parking-garage-img (resized).jpeg
leadership-by-example (resized).jpg
C1CDB543-3981-4E71-830E-B7957289D153 (resized).jpeg
DCBC2F8F-CA84-4DDB-ACD6-1E40DF12C84F (resized).jpeg
20210121_121739.jpg
20210121_121719.jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
Dentalchair_a (resized).png
ADEF9814-41EB-4103-A43B-2BB7443A3537 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20210118-233900~2 (resized).png
victoria (resized).PNG
Screen Shot 2021-01-17 at 7.33.30 AM (resized).png
Unknown-2 (resized).jpeg
20210116_224325 (resized).jpg
20210116_224251 (resized).jpg
20210116_124545 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

140 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 Important warning Posted by Daditude (10 months ago)

Post #6 Coronavirus website with up-to-the-moment stats Posted by Daditude (10 months ago)

Post #172 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by Pinball_Gizzard (10 months ago)

Post #193 Name of disease and of the virus Posted by Pinball_Gizzard (10 months ago)

Post #209 Explains why you need social distancing Posted by Pinball_Gizzard (10 months ago)

Post #239 Comment on seasonality Posted by Pinball_Gizzard (10 months ago)

Post #251 Avoid ibuprofen Posted by Pinball_Gizzard (10 months ago)

Post #370 Info on chloroquine Posted by Pinball_Gizzard (10 months ago)

Post #530 News from Italy Posted by Pedretti_Gaming (10 months ago)

Post #693 Important info and advice Posted by ForceFlow (10 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rtr.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

419 posts in this topic match your search for posts by rtr. You are on page 1 of 2.
#117 10 months ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

Most people who don't understand science are just shutting up right now.

Funny, that isn't what I've observed.

#119 10 months ago

We have enjoyed using grocery delivery recently. Big tips for these awesome delivery people! Most things that aren't TP or chicken related seem to be in stock at our Publix. Their app for ordering is pretty good too.

One question - Perhaps one you software devs in the crowd can explain how the algorithm thinks pencils are related to eggs?

Screenshot 2020-03-18 at 5.03.22 PM 2 (resized).jpeg

#121 10 months ago

Brilliant! I knew there had to be a good reason. If I had kids at home, I would have thought that to be a magical insight.

I am somewhat pleased that Publix does not know my personal info down to the level of my pencil needs, lol

#145 10 months ago

Funny, the more we react to this appropriately (social distancing, shut downs, closing schools, washing hands, etc), the bigger chance we can make it look like an overreaction later.

I hope this does look like an overreaction at some point in the future, but I doubt it. Measuring our efforts against other countries that are further down the road than us - Italy - they did not react fast enough and are having a horrible time with it now.

China and South Korea - their interventions makes our "overreaction" look like a spring break beach party, but they seem to have things under control.

#230 10 months ago
Quoted from Pinball_Gizzard:

Without significant limitations on person to person spread it will become widespread within a month or so in the US.
Yes, we will eventually get a handle on it, the question is how many people will die before we do. If we keep our medical system from being overwhelmed we will have fewer deaths.
Vaccine is 12-18 months from being widely available from what I have seen and heard so far.
There are several drugs out there that may have some benefit based on anecdotal evidence but it remains to be seen if that effect will hold up under more widespread use. I will say that there isn’t a whole lot we have in our toolbox at the moment so most doctors are willing to try drugs that may help.
Thanks for your questions.

When can we start saying 11-17 months on the vaccine?

#343 10 months ago

Guys - don't fall for the generational divide/class warfare bait. There are people attempting to use coronavirus to stoke tribalism, probably related more to their politics more than anything they really believe about the pandemic.

Just ignore them, they aren't really trying to create discussion about a topic.

#374 10 months ago

Damn, that should be required viewing. Thank you for sharing it.

#383 10 months ago

I've only been into collecting pinball machines for about 18 months so I only have a couple Pinside buddies so far.

You have a few more now!

#412 10 months ago

This is an updated (3/19) article on Medium.com by Tomas Pueyo (and a team of people pulling together information). It is a good explainer of why the successful countries - China, South Korea, etc used the Hammer/suppression approach. Long, but good read.

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-the-hammer-and-the-dance-be9337092b56

#467 10 months ago
Quoted from Dono:

I get it... The shock method of communicating does have its benefits - helps pound the point home for folks thinking they don't have to worry about it, and pushing individuals and companies to become part of the solution - whether that's increasing the numbers of test kits, producing more ventilators, reducing vaccine testing/time to market, self-quarantining, etc. etc.
That being said, those numbers aren't supported by extrapolating the current numbers and historical data, not even close. It's just adding to the hysteria, hoarding, over-reactive binge shopping, etc. etc. I'm being personally responsible, as well as my family, but to me the sky is not falling, and the world is NOT coming to an end!

What is your basis for saying the numbers don't add up?

#483 10 months ago
Quoted from Dono:

If you look at mainland China's population - latest census... that would be ~1,400,000,000, with infection numbers flatlining (actually slightly decreasing) around 80K. For argument sake let's assume China's reporting sucks, and they're not truthful/or accurate with their testing... so let's increase that 80K number by 5X (putting total cases at 400K), and do the math... unless I'm missing something it's a mere .028% of the population CONSERVATIVELY at this point.
Sure you could argue China was quicker to the punch, so potentially far less cases per capita than the US; I get that; however you could also argue that China has huge areas of intense population density + a much higher percentage of smokers, so their death rate should be HIGHER than the US... a lot of other factors, sure but still...
So IMHO, for the "leadership" of California coming out with a statement touting a 70% infection rate potential, well, IMO that's just silly.

You are correct on one point - you are missing something. I urge you to read this article. https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-the-hammer-and-the-dance-be9337092b56 It gives real numbers based on epidemiological principles. It shows a path forward with some short term pain, but longer term results. Not a 12-18 month lockdown of the whole country.

It goes into what China and South Korea did to stop the spread. It is nothing like what we are doing here. Our efforts thus far look more like free pizza night at Chucky Cheese compared to what China did in a very short span of time. They did it like that bc they knew it would get out of control fast. Italy is a great example of a country that let it spiral out of control.

#486 10 months ago
Quoted from Dono:

This all true, great point. However each pandemic must be looked at in its own light... they're totally different viruses, each with its own characteristics, so comparing H1N1/SARS/Spanish flu/polio/MERS, etc. etc. to COVID-19 may not be very fruitful in determining how this one will pan out. That's why I'm more focused at statistics for this particular virus; my view is we can gauge more accurately what to expect by reviewing what's already happened in countries where the pandemic evolved or spread to prior to making it onto our shores.
We shall see.

OK, let's expect China numbers, but with Italy's effort - giddy-up! Sounds like a plan!

#694 10 months ago
Quoted from titanpenguin:

But...but...the media is our hero......
None of us will ever forget what was more important to the media and congress from December 2019-March 9, 2020. It’s the reason we are where we are right now. Some in power tried to bring attention to the real issue at hand and even pass some legislation, including travel restrictions to and from China, back in the end of January.

This is hilarious, it's one of your best jokes ever! A real gut splitter! Keep'em coming!!

#784 10 months ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Isn’t it MORE outrageous that the POTUS would say anything like this? Target your pearl clutching elsewhere please. We all know what he said.
Point is....at rally...saying bs, instead of being in 911 blinking red light alert mode because his intelligence agency told him a potentially deadly pathogen was coming.
Could have been preparing Country, but, nope.

Did he call it a hoax specifically on Feb 28th? Not really, but he did say the media/democrats criticisms of his coronavirus response was 'their new hoax'. Then told everyone at the South Carolina rally what a great job his administration had done on it. Then told them about Big Flu Numbers (that no one had ever heard of) and contrasted them with small coronavirus numbers. If you were at that rally in South Carolina, you definitely did not go home worried about coronavirus. You very likely thought it was overblown media hysteria. And you might have thought the virus itself to be a hoax. Later that week you have MSM consumed with Coronavirus coverage and Fox/Conservative Radio telling you it's the same virus that causes the common cold and no big deal.

In the background of all this - the CDC created a test on 1/24 and the FDA took 10 days to approve it. CDC ships tests around the country around 2/6. Slowly figures out the tests don't work and finally loosens rules about who can create and use a new test by the 28th. FDA and CDC spent 6 weeks or so in a bed shitting contest and completely blow any advantage to be gained in early and wide testing - and many other countries did not blow this opportunity.

China travel ban happens on feb 3rd, that's a really great thing in theory - but we already had cases on both coasts at the time and US citizens could still return from China. They had 14 day 'self-monitored' quarantining period if they had no symptoms at the airport health screenings upon arrival. And no way to test in February.

In case you guys think I left anyone out - WHO and China also shit the bed on this. China for the attempted cover up and WHO for not calling BS on China early enough.

#788 10 months ago

That will be super, especially if one of the antivirals under clinical trial right now shows promise. Some of them need to be administered early to be effective, similar to Tamiflu and the flu.

#796 10 months ago
Quoted from BobSacamano:

Does he change his gloves between patients?
They look taped on? He must disinfect them or have another pair on over the taped gloves?
Seems like a way to pick up the virus if you don't already have it?

Just remember what Joe Pesci says about the drive thru.

#816 10 months ago
Quoted from Zablon:

It was clear he thought the question was loaded. Honestly? I don't know...but I know how he handled it was not how a professional or person in power should have handled it.

It was a soft toss that anyone should have been able to knock out of the park. Just restate your plan and your faith in the team and the American people.

#847 10 months ago
Quoted from Psw757:

They declared it a global emergency way back on 1/30 and knew about the situation in a China much earlier than that even. The measures we have now should have been in place by early feb. Don’t think it became a pandemic until some time in March. Not sure on that date.
The point I was trying to get at is it looks bad when you have the WHO reluctant to call it such and then in the same briefing have the CDC calling it a pandemic by definition. I’m mean seriously, talk about bad optics.
Once a pandemic is declared its game on and nations have a lot more leeway on how to deal with things of this nature, that’s a fact and what many of the articles argue.

The WHO definition of pandemic has zilch to do with our country/CDC's approach. No one in the Trump administration sets their watch by WHO's proclamations or lack thereof.

#922 10 months ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

Tents would be great. Thanks.

So he's gonna order tents made in China, to send to you, with your money? This thread is getting weird.

#968 10 months ago

Hey guys - we are up to #3.

Screenshot 2020-03-21 21.49.51 (resized).png

#982 10 months ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Well that escalated quickly

Yup. We have a lock on the Bronze right now. As testing increases and dumbasses keep moving around and ignoring the warnings, the Silver is definitely achievable in the next 3-4 weeks.

#986 10 months ago

Of course it's just 4:30am in Spain right now, they will report new numbers while we are sleeping. Prob knock us out of 3rd for a bit.

#990 10 months ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't you the one that started boasting about how you and your state are subsidizing all of us rednecks in the hinterlands (followed up with religious slurs)? Maybe not your exact words but that is clearly how it came across.
I lived in So. California for 3 years when I first graduated from a college and still have many friends there. I enjoyed my time there and feel the weather and recreational options are great.
We still visit 1-2x a year but have no desire to live there again given the crowds , cost of living, and terrible state and local taxes.
I would have been nicer in telling you this if not for the fact you felt the necessity to pull out your superiority complex and put others down in this thread that live in smaller states.

Why don't you two get a room?

#996 10 months ago

daditude which tracker are you using? I like yours better.

#1021 10 months ago
Quoted from swampfire:

USA is at 81 cases per million, Italy is at 886 (10x), so we have a little time before we catch up. 10 days at least.

Italy had 6500 new cases. Damn. And they have been on lockdown a while. I still think we will catch and surpass them though. We probably had more new cases than them, just not tested yet.

I read that LA isn't even testing people now unless the test would impact treatment. Decision made because lack of tests.

#1035 10 months ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

For what it’s worth, Italy has a nationalized health care system. Like what people are proposing for the USA.

I don't think that is the problem in Italy. South Korea also has socialized medicine that is free to all citizens and they are pretty much kicking ass on coronavirus thus far.

#1137 10 months ago
Quoted from Methos:

I don't get the low risk with take out food. If they sneeze or sweat gets on the food, I would think the heat or organic particles of the food would lengthen the lifespan of the organism.

Buy food you can heat up when it gets to you. 140 F kills the virus. Wash hands after handling the containers/bags.

Deep fry your salad. lol.

#1158 10 months ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yeah we all know about this miracle cure now. More snake oil designed to distract by people who are desperate to deliver some good news to the American public. There is no magic carpet that’s going to whisk us away from this crisis “soon”. STAY HOME.

Levi, if you can't see that this is super news for your cell culture collection, then my goodness.

#1197 10 months ago

The first quote itself is patently false. The study I provided a link to specifically investigates its use to treat the coronavirus if you bothered to read it.

It did not. It was a study that showed it killed the virus in a cell culture. That is not the same thing at all.

#1209 10 months ago

You do realize this is how new drugs are tested for effectiveness before human trials?

There are several human clinical trials going on now regarding chloroquine. The one that was done in China had some issues with one of the groups that received both drugs, the '100%' group. It wasn't really 100%.

I am as hopeful about it as anyone and hope that it works. When a doctor (like Fauci or similar) gets excited about this, then I am ready to get excited about it. Until then, it is unnecessary hype that can lead to problems.

#1220 10 months ago
Quoted from pinball_ric:

I wouldn't put so much stock in Faucci. I personally don't trust him anymore than the person standing behind him when he talks. He said "Not everyone needs to get tested. I don't see how testing everyone would help prevent the spread".
Obviously if you test everyone you can isolate the people who are not showing symptoms and spreading the virus. Also look at South Korea.. They tested like mad and are the only country to flatten the curve.

I don't think that Faucci gets to say everything he would like to say. I suspect his testing comments were more related to the follow up after testing, how badly we had already screwed up testing, and the reality that S Korean methods would not/could not be duplicated in the US for logistical and political reasons.

S Korea's testing program was only part of a comprehensive integrated plan - very early and widespread testing, monitored quarantine, tracing the contacts of the infected person, electronic (cell phone) monitoring of the infected, sharing of information across the country, re-testing contacts, follow up of everyone, and a very strong single payer healthcare infrastructure with which to carry it out.

Meanwhile we were having a hard time figuring out toilet paper distribution and allowing private individuals to buy up all the available masks and hand cleaner.

#1259 10 months ago
Quoted from pinball_ric:

I don't disagree with any of this but we certainly could have done significantly better than we have been. And stating that testing wouldn't help is just not true.

Totally agree. Testing was and is still a major fail. More testing will still help, if nothing else to let people realize the severity of the situation, allow local health systems to understand magnitude, etc.

#1358 10 months ago
Quoted from jhanley:

Who is coming after your family?

Shit, this sounds serious.

#1364 10 months ago
Quoted from Psw757:

I agree, a must read is a book called strategic relocation.

It's got a 4.8 on Infowars with 79 reviews!

http://www.infowarsshop.com/Strategic-Relocation-North-American-Guide-To-Safe-Places-BOOK_p_439.html

#1554 10 months ago

I highly recommend "Nathan For You" on Comedy Central or Hulu.

A superb Canadian export.

#1557 10 months ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Trailer park boys is a great Canadian Comedy ..not recommended for minors

Ive watched them all. It's water under the fridge man.

#1567 10 months ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

The Rush Episode is my favourite!

I recently saw the Xmas Special - it's kind of a prequel to season 1 and it was really good. Might be my fave. But the Rush episode is a classic too.

#1646 10 months ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

It's time to change that then isnt it? I dont want to buy anything made in China anymore if I can help it.

IMG_2EC4A351F024-1 (resized).jpeg

#1661 10 months ago

I just hope we can get some China Masks, China Gloves, and China Protective Gowns in stock soon for our healthcare workers.

See you guys tomorrow. Gonna go take my China Blood Pressure Medicine and go to sleep.

#1818 10 months ago

An interesting interview by Science Magazine with Faucci- touches on a lot of questions we have and shows what a toug job this 79 yo doc has right now.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/03/i-m-going-keep-pushing-anthony-fauci-tries-make-white-house-listen-facts-pandemic

#1861 10 months ago

Friend of the family attends a large church in Alabama where they decide to continue with Choir practice. What could go wrong with 50+ people exhaling forcibly around each other, sharing at the refreshment table and using the same bathrooms?

I person was infected. Now 30 are infected and one has died.

#1865 10 months ago

Same guys that want to stop criticizing current admin/approach and just 'look forward' have no problem shit-talking pangolin handlers.

#1868 10 months ago

Can you imagine where we would be if he controlled the news? Corona would be snuck into flu/ILI numbers and we would just be having a 'bad flu season'

Dude media came through on this big time.

#1897 10 months ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

Wow, they should track those returning and throw them in isolated county jail quarantines for 14 days upon return. Selfish morons.

They can put them right next to the choir members and church attenders

Quoted from RWH:

Levi did you serve your country???? Simple question.

That isn't even a valid argument for anything.

#1905 10 months ago

Everyone builds up a Comfy House of beliefs to live in over a long period of time. It gets validated by information they choose to surround themselves with. Conflicting information - even when true - generally cannot penetrate the house. The house owner just thickens the walls - especially when the info is true and conflicts with a belief.

This coronavirus information (a real world problem that is inextricably wound up in politics for some) is in severe conflict with some people's carefully constructed Comfy Houses. Dunking on those people or presenting them with facts can cause them to push back harder. It's all over this thread.

I don't have a solution for this, but understanding why it happens makes me a little less crazy sometimes. If you are at all interested in a better explainer (and it is a comic - we all like comics!):

https://theoatmeal.com/comics/believe

#1915 10 months ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

Everyone needs to get passed the blame game, it does absolutely no good. They’ll be plenty of time for that after this passes.

I am in agreement as far as blaming pangolins or delayed testing fiascos from 2 months ago.

Looking critically at and being vocal about current approaches and plans (to improve them) as they unfold over time is appropriate and necessary, IMO. That has certainly helped push us into suppression mode.

#1925 10 months ago
Quoted from Lame33:

[quoted image]
I think one of my favorite authors said it best.

You have all my thumbs sir.

#1931 10 months ago

It's not just young people. 1800 person church service yesterday in Louisiana. FFS.

https://www.cbs42.com/news/central-church-hosts-more-than-1800-people-amid-covid-19-outbreak/

#1955 10 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Apparently, this preacher missed that part in the Bible where you are not supposed to tempt God.

He (his name is Pastor Spell - makes the story all that more entertaining) has that under control:

"Throughout the service parishioners could be seen touching each other and closely gathering, very few wearing masks or gloves.

Spell says if anyone in his congregation contracts covid-19 he will heal them through God.

“I’m going to address that by laying hands on them and praying for them and depending on God to heal their body,” Spell said"

#2106 10 months ago

Trump not doing a bad job at press conference. So far no punching down, no cheap shots, no China Virus. Talking up federal government role in helping with distribution and management, support, etc.

Trying to walk a fine line between keeping country shut down and keeping economy going. Handling reporter questions with more self control today.

Semi apologized to Asian Americans for people treating them poorly over the last couple weeks, but didn't come out and say he started it with China Virus comments or apologize personally for same. You can tell why he's saying it though and he has not said China Virus one time.

Dr. Birx doing a good job of talking about hotspots in US. NY coronavirus tests are coming back at 28% positive vs 8% in rest of country. Seems like they are going to be focusing on testing and surveillance over the coming weeks to determine where the virus is. Will be using the data to help fine tune the current social policies.

A good discussion of antibody testing to help flesh out how many people have had it, to identify antibody donors. Good new tests coming up for this as well as a self swab for Covid soon.

#2109 10 months ago

Didn't seem to be on the same page with medical people regarding the length of time we would be on lockdown. A lot of back and forth on his comments regarding the "cure cant be worse than the disease". He didn't commit to opening things up after the 15 day period, but seemed to want to open some things up.

The path seems to revolve around getting more information on the disease spread, hotspots, etc. Talked about a couple different tacts to take including possibility of more targeted restrictions - geography, age, etc.

#2111 10 months ago
Quoted from RTR:

Didn't seem to be on the same page with medical people regarding the length of time we would be on lockdown. A lot of back and forth on his comments regarding the "cure cant be worse than the disease". He didn't commit to opening things up after the 15 day period, but seemed to want to open some things up.
The path seems to revolve around getting more information on the disease spread, hotspots, etc. Talked about a couple different tacts to take including possibility of more targeted restrictions - geography, age, etc.

When I say not on same page, I didn't mean they openly disagreed on stage. Just that he obviously wants to open things up, but seems to understand that he can't promise a date. Many reporters pressed him on those statements, but he never gave a firm answer.

Birx pretty much reiterated that she does not know when things can get back to normal, we are still in a learning phase, need more data, let's evaluate on day 15 of the 15 day pause, etc.

No one asked me to live comment on this but I did. Hope I was fair and accurate with it.

#2116 10 months ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

Fun fact- I once took Spanish fly and banged a Spanish hooker while jamming Spanish Lullaby

This is the kind of content that keeps me coming back to Pinside!

#2120 10 months ago

This is more simply people who don’t follow directions. The drug has historically been available for those traveling to areas where malaria is present. It comes with specific directions on how to use it. I’m betting people ordered it from outside the country in directions other than English.

Also, I am betting they didn't utilize a physician to help them. Just a hunch, but I'm a smart guy.

#2125 10 months ago

Also, handshaking has been banned forever starting today. Thank goodness.

#2129 10 months ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Still chewing on these comments:
“The mortality rate is a lot lower than we thought it would be.”
(Paraphrase Deaths from an economic crash could be much worse than deaths from the virus

Definitely off script there on that. He likes to contrast the mortality of Covid with lots of things that make it look less consequential. Today he reiterated that we have a bad flu season with 50,000 deaths - so many more than coronavirus! Then mentioned death from car accidents. Dude made a cargument for why we should consider going back to normal. "We aren't talking about getting rid of cars" or something to that effect.

You know what happens to everyone else on Pinside that makes a cargument.....

#2130 10 months ago

I was throwing shade at someone else with that comment, you may not have gotten the joke. The clues were:

Hunch and Smart Guy

#2132 10 months ago

But keep it coming, I enjoy the attention!

Plus I am bored.

#2137 10 months ago

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/man-dies-after-ingesting-chloroquine-attempt-prevent-coronavirus-n1167166
This is just sad and EXACTLY why medical professionals are trying to tamp down the hysteria over this drug.
Please people, there's a reason we train for 7-12 years AFTER college.

Serious question - with a mini-poll. Upvote for "no". Downvote for "yes".

Did Trump have a hand in that Arizona man's death (even if just 1%) by promoting chloroquine as a game changing drug for coronavirus?

#2140 10 months ago

Really? If he took aquarium products that are labeled not for human consumption, how is that on anyone but them?

Not saying Trump hid them in the guy's Big Mac. Or that Trump is 100% responsible. Maybe just 1% responsible? Just saying he might not have been aware or as interested in the drug if POTUS hadn't been talking about it so much.

You can change your vote if I have persuaded you.

#2145 10 months ago

No, I get it. The guy was stupid all by himself and solely responsible. Who knows maybe had a mental condition?

But would he have had the idea in the absence of T's comments? If not, then seems like what T said would not be an insignificant factor.

#2155 10 months ago

Now you’re grasping at straws. Plus, if the guy was smart enough to find it from a fish store after listening to trump, then you would think he is smart enough to not take it, or at least look up what he was taking and realize only 600mg is the LD50 level for a rat.

That article seems to indicate that a LOT of people have been ordering the fish tank chloroquine at inflated prices. That is scary.

Sold data on eBay is off the hook for it!

#2162 10 months ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

People have been taking fish medicine for decades. There are even books on how to convert dosages for human dosages. You're really reaching on the blame game. But in all fairness they probably wouldn't have know about it if T didn't mention it.
Same way as the article I posted about the guy in Florida that asked his doctors to prescribe it for him and it cured him.
SO we have one person that used his doctor and got better and one person that self meditated and died. See the difference here.

Damn - you are right - people buy a lot of pet fish antibiotics for personal use. I had no idea. They even review them on Amazon.

#2165 10 months ago

I like that they are enrolling 1000's of people in the chloroquineand other studies up in NY and NJ area. It will provide a lot of useful data on it.

This article talks about 4 of the most promising mega trials. We should know which ones are working and how well very soon.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/03/who-launches-global-megatrial-four-most-promising-coronavirus-treatments

#2182 10 months ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I cannot believe these lunatics are talking about "loosening distancing protocols" and "reopening the economy" in a matter of days. This is madness.
The economy isn't going to recover with our health care system destroyed and 100s of people dying a day. Over 100 deaths today, for the first time.
I cannot believe this is happening in this country. We are JUST getting people used to this shit and now we are gonna say "ah, never mind, the doctors and health experts are idiots we have to get Pizza Hut open again for sit downs. Fuck it."
You guys are all ok with this idea?

Trump didn't say one way or another today, but I came away from it believing he wants to open things up too soon. Sooner than we have good data to support. He deflected on who makes the decision medical people or him or others. He basically said he takes it all into consideration.

Dr. Birx was walking a tightrope when she fielded the 'when' questions and pretty clearly answered that it would be data driven and evaluated on the 15th day of our 'pause'.

I wasn't super happy with her comments on mortality for younger people. That answer seemed to be preparing us for an age driven return to normal strategy. And she was using data from China and South Korea. We don't have enough mortality data here yet to draw those kinds of conclusions.

And then there are a lot of 'tough decision' talking points making the rounds. The TX LT Governor just told Tucker Carlson in an interview that grandparents would be willing to take the risk for saving the economy for their grandchildren.

#2190 10 months ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

This is how America ends.
We are gonna be a third world country in a couple months.

The 65+ crowd is kinda like the Wu Tang Clan in politics - they ain't nuthin to fuck with. Don't count them out. If T starts doing stuff that makes all those boomers feel scared, Trump is gonna back off that 'cure is worse than the disease' stuff.

He was clearly not himself today at the press conference and we haven't even seen the real shit hit yet. Over the next 2-3 weeks, I don't think there is any way he will be able to call off the slow downs in whole.

And with some treatments becoming available, including antibody testing and harvesting, and better testing and surveillance - I think some laser focused start ups can happen safely. Much like South Korea.

#2209 10 months ago

We are 6-8 weeks behind the virus on this because of the testing failures. If we were fully tested up and had data from all over and surveillance of cases in progress - we could be making better decisions today. We aren't there.

We are about 1 week into real testing and have almost no data. Can't make smart decisions, so we did the smart thing and shut everything down. Erred on the side of caution and it will let us 'catch up' a bit to the virus.

They are ramping up testing and we will soon be able to make better decisions. I don't think we are gonna go back to whatever the new normal is in 2-3 weeks for sure. But with testing, surveillance, maybe a treatment or 2, and some other strategies - it is probably reasonable to start letting some people get back to normal whenever the available information allows it.

Without sacrificing the grandparents.

#2212 10 months ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Lost weight. Actually, HELL NO to both! [quoted image]

I think I know which of those two you like better.

#2213 10 months ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

Come to think of it, this is the first time in my life I’ve been deemed essential.

See, your glass is half full!

#2229 10 months ago

We’re far more than 6 weeks behind. That’s why the virus seems to be exploding in spread with every test administered.

Sure, but we are 6-8 weeks behind where we should be, considering when the information was known/recognized as a threat by our threat detectors. We built our first coronavirus test on January 27th or so and then screwed that up until early March.

#2230 10 months ago
Quoted from canea:

Article is a couple days old and not the primary source, but thought it was worth reading if not terribly convincing yet. Possible link between blood type and susceptibility to the virus. Will be interesting to see what is causing the somewhat random degrees of severity in cases. Different strains or... ?
https://www.forbes.com/sites/claryestes/2020/03/20/what-the-relationship-between-blood-type-and-coronavirus-susceptibility-means-for-future-treatments/#44ba946e677c

Lucky for us coronavirus research is also happening on a logarithmic scale. Here is an article on a possible blood pressure medication link:

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-03-ace-inhibitors-angiotensin-receptor-blockers.html

#2315 10 months ago
Quoted from Tuukka:

Was he now calling it the covfefe virus?

If he keeps f*cking up, he will be calling it the Joe Biden Virus.

#2322 10 months ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Heres one my buddy from china just sent me.[quoted image]

Completely false. Don't we have enough misinformation going around?

#2893 10 months ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

That's where you lost me.

That was his appeal to authority. I'm so smart, I don't even like this thread - and that is why you should listen to me.

#2921 10 months ago

The media is being easy on them, IMO. Trump, Birx, and Pence were all breaking their own arms patting themselves on the back in the press conference yesterday about TESTING of all things. As if we were somehow ahead of the curve on that now. That was some straight up 1984 bullshit right there.

Maybe it's good reporters didn't take the bait and hammer them as there is nothing we can do about it now and time was probably better spent on other questions.

#2924 10 months ago
Quoted from taz:

I didn't say that Fox is less biased than the other networks. I no longer trust any of them. I googled Fauci and Fox happened to be the news outlet that had the article I posted, which kind of explained where Fauci has been.

"I don't trust any of the news outlets" is sort of a both sides argument, but in reverse.

We are getting both sides arguments quite a bit today.

#2941 10 months ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

come on even you have to admit that some of the asks on the other side had nothing to do with dealing with our economic problems. I also enjoyed the piece on the NY Governor....apparently he had the opportunity to buy 16000 respirators yet refused to allocate the funds yet somehow its Washington's problem....its crazy the spin people put on the facts. I'm just happy that Washington and these Governors (mine included) seem to be working well together to solve this problem....now all we need to do is get back to work by Easter

The 16,000 ventilators story is a complete fabrication.

https://www.mediamatters.org/coronavirus-covid-19/trump-slings-death-panels-lie-cuomo-taken-far-right-blogs

#2990 10 months ago
Quoted from RWH:

I'd rather read it for myself Schumer can not be unbiased that is definite. I'm not saying McConnell can either so I just want to see the whole thing for myself.

I heard it is 1000 pages. You may have to rely on someone to summarize it for you. Here is a nice rundown from Wapo:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2020/03/25/trump-senate-coronavirus-economic-stimulus-2-trillion/

#3091 10 months ago
Quoted from guitarded:

Well, now you're just being racist. /

Quoted from Utesichiban:

Good hell, what next?... and why does 85% of this stuff seem to originate in China?

We have native Hanta here too. Pretty sure this is sensationalizing of a non-threat. Here's a news story - let's get us some clicks!

Carried by rodents in urine and feces. Gets in the news here every once in while because someone camping or in a dirty house usually out west inhales dust from a mouse nest and gets infected.

It's pretty much the least of our worries at the moment.

#3108 10 months ago

I could only find the 2018 map for HantaVirus, or as some people say America Virus. /s

It's pretty rare (around 800 known cases since 1993 in the US) and human to human is super rare. So you guys can stop with that one now and look for something else.

Screenshot 2020-03-25 15.10.57 (resized).png

Screenshot 2020-03-25 15.08.38 (resized).png
#3154 10 months ago
Quoted from Psw757:

We will know soon, they tested all 32 on the bus. Hopefully this didn’t mutate into another human to human virus. Symptoms apparently very similar to Covid - 19 but with a 30% mortality rate.

We know now.

#3504 10 months ago

For those of you that think we can just go back to normal work ASAP - without a science driven approach.

My son lives in Michigan and works for a small company, 12 employees or so. Started working from home 3/12. Found out today he was exposed to a coworker on 3/6 who started exhibiting flu like symptoms around 3/8 or 3/9.

That coworker was not given a CV test, despite asking for one constantly, and only found out it was CV 2 nights ago (3/24) when admitted to the hospital. Never given a test until symptoms were bad enough for hospital admission. Coworker is young and otherwise healthy btw.

No one has attempted to trace the coworker's contacts. My son is thankfully past the 14 day quarantine period - that he did not even know he was on - and has no symptoms.

This virus is all over the place. There are no strategies fully in place yet that allow us to think we are ok back at work. We still do not have adequate testing, no follow up plans for contact tracing/quarantine/follow up (like South Korea and others), we won't have adequate data until there is adequate testing for xx days/weeks, no proven treatments yet, and we have ZERO PPE available for non-healthcare workers to go back to work with.

#3508 10 months ago
Quoted from beergut666:

An hour after our governor announced a stay in place order, 25 dumb fucks lined up outside a liquor store (in the pouring rain) that will not be closing during the order.[quoted image]

Gotta get Pappy when it comes in, no matter what's happening.

#3519 10 months ago
Quoted from Oaken:

Everything involved is so scarce these days that we are left with the following.
From a patient care perspective, testing is not necessary until hospitalization. You think you were exposed? Stay home. Think you are super human healthy? Stay home. Think you definitely have it? Stay home.
Can’t breathe? Call ahead, then head where they tell you to. Maybe you get a test, but the benefits of that test are mostly for the healthcare workers around you so that they can save PPE if possible.

The testing is important for more than treating the ill. They are downplaying the importance of the test because they f*cked it up, because they don't have the capacity yet, and because they don't have the personnel and PPE to conduct the tests widely.

Believe me - if Faucci and Birx could have 20x the tests done than what they currently have, they would love to have that data to make better decisions. If they could have been testing in February - when they should have been - then it is very likely we would not be in the mess we are currently in.

Trump and De Blasio rarely agree on anything, but they both agreed in early March that everyone should be out and about and ignoring CV - they had no real data to base that decision because of no testing. Now look where we are in NYC.

#3525 10 months ago
Quoted from Oaken:

rtr Oh yeah, it’s definitely a messed up situation. Everyday my wife comes home it’s hard to not get more and more worried. So many aspects of this are cribbed from a Kafka novella.

I wasn't disagreeing with you and understand that testing isn't important for treatment right now in most people. I am generally against any test that won't impact my treatment.

#3537 10 months ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Have you ever had the desire to really beat someone's ass.

Daily.

#3626 10 months ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

It's your president not mine, so I refrain to comment,...
...but beeing who he is he spawned an international discussion about social darwinism, wich really isn't helping.
(I'm sitting, helping out in a hospital at the moment. - On a break.)

They say there is no such thing as bad publicity......

#3668 10 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Yep. As expected, The US is #1.
[quoted image]

USA!!! USA!!! USA!!!

#3872 10 months ago
Quoted from jp1985:

What’s everybody like for rum around here?

Release the Kraken!

IMG_7139 (resized).JPG

#3976 10 months ago

Unless Coronavirus agrees to sign an NDA, it is gonna be tough to defeat.

#4135 10 months ago

If you are for throwing Faucci, old people, NYC, Science, California, certain Governors, GM, China, Oprah, news media, Obama, or anyone other than the people who were in the (very early) know and in charge of our national response - you need to better understand how we got here.

If you waste one breath or keystroke talking about how this is no worse than the flu, that it pales in comparison to many other ways to die, you are encouraging vulnerable people to take this less seriously.

If you are spending effort on any of the above - either here or on Twitter, Facebook, Nextdoor or whatever - you are an unhelpful distraction from the tasks at hand and working to cause people to take this with less seriousness than this deserves.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/the-coronavirus-test-that-wasnt-how-federal-health-officials-misled-state-scientists-and-derailed-the-best-chance-at-containment/ar-BB11MJRy

#4491 10 months ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I can’t believe there’s still people who think bleating “fake news!” is in any way clever, or bolsters any kind of argument.
I miss actual discussion but people seem to be lazier than ever.

People don't want to chew their own food.

#5141 9 months ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

I thought squirrel was breaded and fried, then served with gravy? Never had crow. They are smart though.

Quoted from Sinistarrett:

Plenty of people will be eating crow soon enough.

What ya'll talking about eating crow for?

#5292 9 months ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Was this good Either? Thousands gather at Tampa Church....Belief that they will not be infected?
https://www.foxnews.com/us/coronavirus-church-service-defy-government-guidance

Lots of churches still had services and some still are. My mom's church in FL urged everyone to attend even yesterday. Said they had hand sanitizer, lol, col. She prayed in place thank goodness.

They are just as dumb as spring breakers, maybe dumber because of the median age, but don't get the press coverage that half naked young people get. I can't figure it out?

#5298 9 months ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Many years ago, when my son was just 9, he begged us for weeks to buy a slap chop. We thought it was funny so we got him one for Christmas and put it under the tree with the “real” gifts. He was not happy or amused.

Thank you for mentioning Slap Chop! I don't know where I was, but, I've never seen that infomercial. I just watched the long version as well as the Schticky. Saving some for later. You're gonna love my nuts!

#5816 9 months ago

People coming to the thread with a flu argument at this stage are not seriously seeking information.

#5828 9 months ago
Quoted from wrb1977:

This is not a flu argument...you must not have read the whole thing. I realize this IS worse than the flu...more contagious AND new. I support and am practicing 100% of our precautions and actions and in many ways I feel we could be doing more. Many people are not listening to what we are being told to do and it infuriates me.

Hit dog always hollers.

But if you are serious - Flu is endemic. For various reasons we cannot eradicate it. It will always be with us. We have developed ways to fight it - Tamiflu, flu shots, herd immunity, partially immunity, etc. We are not defenseless against it and the mortality rate has gone down to roughly .01% due to our efforts in fighting it.

Coronavirus is pandemic, but will likely become endemic. And we have ZERO proven defenses for it, except our own immune sytems and our over-large brain - which if used correctly - can allow many of us to avoid catching it for a while. Add to this that the mortality rate is much higher than flu and the % of people requiring hospitalization is higher as well. Therefore it takes up an inordinate amount of resources to fight it as compared to flu.

#5873 9 months ago
Quoted from wrb1977:

Thanks for the info...good explanation. So do you think we will get coronavirus shots in the future like we do for the flu?

I do think we may be looking at CV vaccine in the future as long as they can make one that is effective.

My apologies for being bitchy. I'm a little frazzled too.

#6044 9 months ago

Just read the article, it is far from a definitive source on Covid-19 ventilator patient mortality. It is almost misinformation.

It gives two examples from a paper in China with no info on the patients, no info on how early this was in the process, maybe so early they were not being treated quickly enough or intubated in time - just 2 scary numbers. 86% and 97%. And an only slightly less scary 66% from a paper in the UK.

Very little info, followed by a call to to create stronger triage rules in US hospitals regarding who gets vent access in the case of a shortage.

Better data will be forthcoming on this as things progress.

#6755 9 months ago
Quoted from Reality_Studio:

It's part of the reason many are puzzled why the south hasn't been more aggressive with lock downs.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I have lived in the south all my life. I am not puzzled.

#7446 9 months ago

It's amazing how concerned some people have recently become about poverty, suicide and mental health issues in the country.

#7452 9 months ago
Quoted from PinJim:

Nah, more just a plan. I’m a controls engineer by trade. So I figure I could somewhat automate the protection of my property. That and a lot of ammo. And supporting people. I’m sure there are people who are better prepared...

Will the automation be like a Home Alone thing? I hope you will have video!

#7475 9 months ago

Just putting this here for reference in two weeks.
I cannot believe you are citing China and South Korea getting back to work. You know WHY they are getting back to work? Because they shut their countries down. In China during the outbreak you were ARRESTED for stepping out of your home without papers and a mask.
Come to think of it, that's not a bad idea.

I read they would take your temp when you left your apartment building and before you re-entered your own apartment building. Fever = do not pass go, straight to a quarantine ward.

#7479 9 months ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I keep seeing about the fever thing as a test, but is it even 100% a symptom? Seems like the symptoms vary greatly and if you are asymptomatic, then this seems like a hit or miss test.

It is not 100%, but was an easy way to identify some of the sicker population.

#7487 9 months ago
Quoted from swampfire:

It’s not up to any of us to decide when the rest of society will get back to normal. It’s not really even up to political leaders. If people are dying at the rate of 2,000 a day and they say “all clear”, people are not going to just start going to Disney and taking crowded trains to work again.
We all have different levels of risk tolerance. I’m not going to get on a plane again until a vaccine or cure is available. I’d rather drive 800 miles to Philadelphia once a month, if it came to that.

#7494 9 months ago

It was actually anti-smoking propaganda.

Either way, maybe start a different thread for the new topic? This one is trying hard to remain a coronavirus thread.

#7497 9 months ago
Quoted from Sinistarrett:

Georgia’s Governor just reopened all their public beaches a couple hours ago. With a shelter in place order in effect.

In his defense, he just learned about all this yesterday.

#7554 9 months ago

Yep, sure you do. Let's talk in 2 weeks and we'll see who understands how a disease spreads better. A physician or an accountant.

$20 on Doc Gizzard.

#7569 9 months ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Let's cut down on the profanity TFA. I've made a pledge to avoid it. Not good.

People who swear are more trustworthy. Dammit.

#7581 9 months ago

I’m getting tired of hearing the big number to little number arguments.

Especially when the comparison has nothing to do with the issue.

When someone starts out with “There are 7.5 billion people....” they aren’t making a logical argument about a pandemic in progress.

#7589 9 months ago
Quoted from taylor34:

The mortality numbers for the US were (early on, 2449 cases):
0 to 20 0%
20 to 44 .1% to .2%
45 to 54 .5% to .8%
55 to 64 1.4% to 2.6%
64 to 75 2.7% to 4.9%
75 to 84 4.3% to 10.5%
85+ 10.4% to 27.3%
It's not just the elderly, it's just really bad for them. But it's still bad for everyone else.

Those numbers only show mortality. They don’t show hospitalizations. An inordinate number of people with Covid19 wind up in the hospital as compared to flu and they stay longer.

The numbers get a lot worse for everyone that requires hospitalization if the healthcare system in an area has been overwhelmed.

Younger people can still get their ass whipped by this and wind up getting better in a hospital bed. As long as good care is available, they don’t show up in the mortality figures.

#7595 9 months ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Inconvenient facts?
Just the numbers. It's not hard to accept the reality of those numbers.

The numbers are real, but meaningless if you get sick in an area with limited healthcare resources and unlimited sickness because people didn’t take the threat seriously soon enough.

I’m as optimistic as anyone that we eventually figure this out and beat it. We have some of our smartest and greediest people Working on solutions. CV doesn’t have a chance against us in the long term.

But I also get the short term sacrifice we have to make to allow our healthcare system and scientists the time to get it it done.

#7604 9 months ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Of course we’ll figure this out! Outside of Aliens we’re the smartest species on the planet! We’ve risen to every challenge so far and we will with this. But this brand of optimism is different that what is being touted elsewhere. This brand of optimism is humble, out of respect for what we can’t predict or control. Like Mother Nature. This brand of optimism accepts that the world can’t go on undisturbed in times of crisis - and shouldn’t! - and that sacrifices must be made.
As Levi stared so eloquently, perhaps Applebee’s must take one for the country.

Applebee’s is a sacrifice I am willing to make.

#8074 9 months ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

I have decided to create my own backyard diner.
[quoted image]

Wish I were closer!

#8323 9 months ago
Quoted from jlm33:

Yes - no choice.

No f***ing way !! Would probably decline even if it was a gift...

They should sink all the cruise ships in the Gulf of Mexico for artificial reefs. It will improve the fishing!

#8418 9 months ago

Doc pinball_gizzard question - When high blood pressure is listed as a co-morbidity in the mortality data, does that include people with well controlled (by meds) HBP?

For example an otherwise healthy and active 185 lb, 69" tall, 53 yo male that keeps his BP around 118/78 with meds - is that considered a risk factor if I , er I mean he, got coronavirus?

#8429 9 months ago

No, I did not find it interesting. I found it scary.

#8592 9 months ago

That’s the same guy someone posted from the Blaze. It’s the exact same article the Blaze cut and pasted. Again, if Hydroxychloroquine and Zinc cured 100% of people we’d be hearing about it from more than one ER guy in California.

If he is doing this from the ER/Urgent Care, how is he following up on 100% (his claim, not mine) of his patients? Does he see no one in the ER that has to go straight to the hospital?

#8617 9 months ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

Lets not forget,
Microwave ovens first became available to the public in 1950's but it wasn't until the 70's that laws were pasted to regulate how safe they were.
Let that sink in.

I thought it was just your brother that was a 5Ger? Or was that another joke?

#8722 9 months ago
Quoted from Daditude:

Can anyone recommend a good breakfast wine?

I don't have a wine, but this stout from Founders is all you need in the morning.

IMG_7180 (resized).JPG

#8884 9 months ago

Over counts and "smear the experts" are the new talking points.

#9734 9 months ago
Quoted from GPS:

I am hopeful that when we emerge from the other side of this thing, to whatever degree we do, we and the country learn some very important lessons. First would be to bring pharma production back to the good ole USA and out of China. Second, never trust the Chinese government no matter what they might say. Third, be far more proactive in the future with virus’ that maybe around the world but could be here with just one arrival at a major gateway like nyc or LA or CHI. It is not an issue of if we will be struck again but when and how bad. We all need to take more responsibility for ourselves and be better prepared. The government can only do so much no matter what party is in the big chair. This thing is scary but the next may make the Covid19 crisis look like a walk through the park! I am sure there are many more lessons to be gleaned from our present situation. This is by no means an exhaustive list but ones I personally feel are important. Maybe the biggest lesson is to make sure that we all have a few months worth of living expenses saved up for the next big whatever. Again, this could be just a primer for far more deadly possibilities down the road

Maybe businesses should have a few months of operating expenses saved up as well.

#9784 9 months ago
Quoted from Dooskie:

If you've ever owned a business, you know that's easier said than done. Especially for a small business owner.

I have owned several businesses, still own two small ones, and yes, it is difficult. People don’t prepare for (or expect) The Spanish Inquisition.

When people start tut tutting about personal responsibility and lack of emergency savings, they should apply that standard everywhere and see how it lands.

#9821 9 months ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

I think China's negligence and liability in this pandemic is without question. If China's government was a corporation, they would be sued by millions globally affected by this virus and end filing bankruptcy. The evidence is overwhelming.
Given, the documented misteps of the president in recent days, from a US response standpoint, I would also say it is pretty clear his propensity to go with his own instincts rather then listening to his advisors puts much of the lack of preparation in the US on him. Ditto for local and state politicians in places like New York and Louisiana where they dragged their feet and dropped the ball as well.
None of this absolves China of its lies and cover ups regarding the timing and severity of this virus. I personally find it odd that many in our country have no problem assigning blame and pointing fingers at some of our own national and state politicians but at the same time refuse to consider or even acknowledge China's massive role in this global disaster.
There is plenty of finger pointing and blame to go around both here and abroad. If you can't acknowledge both realities,, you aren't being objective or credible IMO.

I haven't heard or seen anyone absolve China of anything related to this virus on this thread or anywhere else. If anything, I've seen the opposite - a China blame game designed to distract from our own inept responses.

Our focus is where it should be - on our own governmental responses to the outbreak bc it is our government tasked with protecting our country, not China.

#9840 9 months ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

Did you read what I said? I'm not a solving Trump or any US Federal or state politicians of blame for their lack of preparation or misteps. I'm very disappointed in Trump on this as well.
What I am saying is there is a tendency amongst some to refuse to discuss or even acknowledge China's culpability in why this even happened to begin with while constantly blasting our own leaders. Ditto for some on the other side.
I'm pointing this out as refusing to discuss or acknowledge both sides of this issue just often strikes me as politics, not objective analysis of the situation.

I understand exactly what you said, I was disagreeing with you. I don't think anyone has a lack of appreciation for China's role in this. I'm mad as hell about it too. But IMO focusing on it is a distraction - don't take the bait and believe me, people are being baited with this. To what end should it be discussed right now? What do we gain from it? It is our government's role to handle the response when it's an appropriate time and I am sure they will.

I hope there is a multi-pronged approach to the China problem as the current crisis abates. Taking our supply chain more seriously, being willing to pay more for some things - labor and products - in exchange for security and fairness. More money spent on CDC, NIH, reform at WHO with our input because our dollars will support it. Pulling some manufacturing back to the US from China where feasible and more collaboration with our allied countries where it is not. How about some changes in how healthcare is distributed? Looks like our employer based system was exposed a bit during this crisis. Maybe some independence for the CDC so they can make the nation aware of issues without external pressure concerns. A complete rethink of the FDA to CDC feedback loop and early preparedness. Lot's of change could and should come from this when the time is right. It's a little early for all this at the moment.

We have emergent issues in our country and discussing them critically will materially affect our current situation. We have much to gain now from letting our leaders know what has been scratched and what still itches - that is why talk about anti body testing, active virus testing deficits, lack of PPE, social distancing, protecting our essential workers, (realizing who our essential workers are!), whether, when, and how we return to work, and all of those other important issues need to be on the news and discussed robustly.

I don't think this was a political post, but willing to take my medicine if it comes off as such.

#9888 9 months ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

I can't say I agree with you that this pandemic has "exposed" our employer based insurance health system, though. Outside of So. Korea & Singapore (who used testing and contact tracing), what countries with national health systems have done a great job of handling this (the UK, Italy, Spain, France)? Most were underprepared and have been overwhelmed.

I wasn't talking about the response of the systems, although that would be a good debate to have - South Korea, Sweden, Netherlands, Norway, Denmark, Switzerland, Singapore, Japan, Germany, New Zealand and many others with various forms of Universal Coverage and more centralized responses have all done pretty well.

I was talking about having coverage period. We already had 28,000,000 uninsured. Then 3 million plus people lose their job. When you lose your job in an employer based system or if your job keeps you artificially in a part time status, you have coverage issues - sometimes none available, sometimes unaffordable through COBRA. This seems like an exposed weakness in the healthcare coverage system that most of the civilized world doesn't have to deal with. So agree to disagree:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2020/03/26/unemployment-claims-coronavirus-3-million/

#9996 9 months ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I don't do that to myself any more. I'll check out the recaps later.

You missed the 3 minute propaganda video.

#10319 9 months ago
Quoted from SadSack:

This is my own hypothesis. I came up with it by studying the official Event 201 website. I believe COVID-19 virus is real, but the numbers are being pumped:
Why and how Bill Gates unleashed COVID-19 on humanity – my current belief based on Gates Foundation Motives and Means with respect to current events.
Goals:
Save Banking
Cashless Society
Mandatory Travel Tracking
Medical Tyranny Beginning with Mandatory Vaccine to Escape Quarantine
Micro-chipping the Population
Monopolization of Markets
Reduction of Human Self-Sufficiency
Human Sacrifice (Occult)
Implementation:
Develop a Family of Viruses through medical/academic/military research.
Within the family of developed viruses, establish categories of Individually distinct viruses having a range of the properties Virulence (transmission) and Strength (Mortality/Side Effects) for each distinct virus:
1. Virulent but Weak
2. Less Virulent but Strong
3. Virulent and Strong (rare.. may be impossible)
Disbursement Strategy:
Establish 3 types of Geographic Zones:
1. Safe Zone(s) (Home)
2. Administrative Zone(s) (Government)
3. Sacrificial Zone(s)
Release Type 1 (Virulent but Weak) virus(es) in the Safe Zone(s) to create a buffer of immunity where people whom have been exposed will be generally immune.
Release Type 2 (Less Virulent but Strong) Virus(es) in Administrative Zone(s) to maintain a functional society while propagating fear-driven Government and Media.
Release Type 3 (Virulent and Strong) viruses in Sacrificial Zone(s) to create massive death, destruction and civil unrest.
Aftermath:
Safe Zones – A large buffer of immunity surrounding castles, compounds and redoubts of the Super Elite where services from local populations live mostly normal lives and services are mostly available
Administrative Zones - Smaller local communities where government and media are somewhat protected through social controls. Graft is prevalent through business operation permits. Free markets are eliminated. Black markets are monitored and selectively enforced rules based on whom controls those markets
Sacrificial Zones – Maximized chaos and death in pursuit of developing permanent black markets, a permanent underclass that maximizes crime, disease and terrorism.
Addendum: If you have any ideas to add to or subtract from or disprove any of these hypothesis, please comment. If you think Bill Gates is going to help us find a “safe and effective” vaccine, may your chains rest lightly. I see the endgame is going to be to submit your DNA for testing so you can freely travel. Once the next COVID-20 or COVID-21 comes out, the vaccine will be ready. They couldn’t introduce the vaccine at the same time or that would be too obvious. Once the vaccine is ready, you will be called to submit to blood-stream infusions to participate in their envisioned world.
I believe that I live in a Home Zone. I believe that many, if not most, of those responsible for this virus live within 250 miles of me. I believe that me and my neighbors were all distributed the type 1 (Virulent and Weak) virus sometime after Nov. 1, 2019 or even later than January 1, 2020. I believe that the type 3 (Virulent and Strong) virus was either not ready to go or mutated into a failure and resulted in much less death and destruction than was hoped. I believe an ignorant underclass is being ginned up to attack those of us who are not going along with the program. I believe those of us who don’t go along will be physically, financially, politically and medically attacked by people who honestly believe they are in the right. I believe the blood of the Lord Jesus Christ is a protective cloak for all of us who ask for its protection.
Now one of you little gammas can go turn me in and get me banned from the thread because I scared your hand off your crank.
With the strength of my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, I say, “No.” Amen.

A super example of all sources of information not being equal and not worthy of consideration, news coverage, or space on a thread for that matter.

#10324 9 months ago
Quoted from SadSack:

This is my own hypothesis. I came up with it by studying the official Event 201 website. I believe COVID-19 virus is real, but the numbers are being pumped:
Why and how Bill Gates unleashed COVID-19 on humanity – my current belief based on Gates Foundation Motives and Means with respect to current events.
Goals:
Save Banking
Cashless Society
Mandatory Travel Tracking
Medical Tyranny Beginning with Mandatory Vaccine to Escape Quarantine
Micro-chipping the Population
Monopolization of Markets
Reduction of Human Self-Sufficiency
Human Sacrifice (Occult)
Implementation:
Develop a Family of Viruses through medical/academic/military research.
Within the family of developed viruses, establish categories of Individually distinct viruses having a range of the properties Virulence (transmission) and Strength (Mortality/Side Effects) for each distinct virus:
1. Virulent but Weak
2. Less Virulent but Strong
3. Virulent and Strong (rare.. may be impossible)
Disbursement Strategy:
Establish 3 types of Geographic Zones:
1. Safe Zone(s) (Home)
2. Administrative Zone(s) (Government)
3. Sacrificial Zone(s)
Release Type 1 (Virulent but Weak) virus(es) in the Safe Zone(s) to create a buffer of immunity where people whom have been exposed will be generally immune.
Release Type 2 (Less Virulent but Strong) Virus(es) in Administrative Zone(s) to maintain a functional society while propagating fear-driven Government and Media.
Release Type 3 (Virulent and Strong) viruses in Sacrificial Zone(s) to create massive death, destruction and civil unrest.
Aftermath:
Safe Zones – A large buffer of immunity surrounding castles, compounds and redoubts of the Super Elite where services from local populations live mostly normal lives and services are mostly available
Administrative Zones - Smaller local communities where government and media are somewhat protected through social controls. Graft is prevalent through business operation permits. Free markets are eliminated. Black markets are monitored and selectively enforced rules based on whom controls those markets
Sacrificial Zones – Maximized chaos and death in pursuit of developing permanent black markets, a permanent underclass that maximizes crime, disease and terrorism.
Addendum: If you have any ideas to add to or subtract from or disprove any of these hypothesis, please comment. If you think Bill Gates is going to help us find a “safe and effective” vaccine, may your chains rest lightly. I see the endgame is going to be to submit your DNA for testing so you can freely travel. Once the next COVID-20 or COVID-21 comes out, the vaccine will be ready. They couldn’t introduce the vaccine at the same time or that would be too obvious. Once the vaccine is ready, you will be called to submit to blood-stream infusions to participate in their envisioned world.
I believe that I live in a Home Zone. I believe that many, if not most, of those responsible for this virus live within 250 miles of me. I believe that me and my neighbors were all distributed the type 1 (Virulent and Weak) virus sometime after Nov. 1, 2019 or even later than January 1, 2020. I believe that the type 3 (Virulent and Strong) virus was either not ready to go or mutated into a failure and resulted in much less death and destruction than was hoped. I believe an ignorant underclass is being ginned up to attack those of us who are not going along with the program. I believe those of us who don’t go along will be physically, financially, politically and medically attacked by people who honestly believe they are in the right. I believe the blood of the Lord Jesus Christ is a protective cloak for all of us who ask for its protection.
Now one of you little gammas can go turn me in and get me banned from the thread because I scared your hand off your crank.
With the strength of my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, I say, “No.” Amen.

Can you give me an address where to submit my DNA? I would like to freely travel, get the vaccine, and pledge my loyalty to Bill Gates. I'm a huge fan! Thank you for this awesome info!

Also - how did you know my hand was on my crank? That was weird.

#10336 9 months ago
Quoted from cait001:

fuck it, I'm giving it an upvote. A for effort.

It gives Arcademojo's 5G theory some stiff competition. Completely takes China out of the equation, adds in some religion and occult, hints of Revelations. I think it has some real appeal and is a highlight to today's thread material.

Changed my downvote to an upvote!

#10357 9 months ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Anybody else have any batshit crazy "hypothesis" they want to share about Covid-19?

Covid 19 did start with Pangolins, but not how you might suspect. Pangolins are supremely intelligent hive mind beings from another arm of our spiral galaxy where they have conquered and colonized all of the 'local' planets. Unfortunately, in their enthusiasm for Pangolintopia (sort of like a Dune inspired Jihad movement) they wiped out the native cultures and differences. Every planet they conquered now has the Pangolin equivalents of McDonalds, Home Depots, Bed Baths and Beyond, Old Navy's etc

They had been studying us for many 1000's of years to subdue earth and install the Pangolin equivalent of the smaller footprint neighborhood Walmarts. Financing fell through on that project, but no one put in the proper paperwork to dissolve the outpost. Earth Outpost stayed in the observer rotation, essentially through a clerical error, but it became a very popular assignment because the inhabitants were so primitive, feisty, easily persuaded, and generally entertaining.

So then - because they were very, very, very bored (even more bored than Vyvyan on The Young Ones) they kept watching us, but again mostly for entertainment purposes. One of them had an idea to break the boredom. His name, coincidentally, was also Vyvyan. Why not transmit all the earthly antics back to Pangolintopia in 'channels' so all Pangolins could watch?

So - all of our periods, cultures, wars, sports (they started the idea of the Olympics), yes, even our pandemics are now broadcast live across the vast reaches of our galaxy to entertain our Pangolin overlords. This was just them kicking the ant mound a little to liven things up. It will be over soon.

#10366 9 months ago
Quoted from SadSack:

You are afraid it will scare your hand of your crank.

Dammit, got me again! How are you doing this???

#10431 9 months ago

This puts some things in better perspective:
The US national debt is approx. $25T after first round of stimulus
The top 20 valued companies in the world add up to $9T.[quoted image]

Look at this number: $100T. It is 4 times bigger than $25T

Let that sink in for a bit. I have even bigger ones that I'm not ready to show yet.

#10474 9 months ago

WHO should be looked into, and funding changes made if ongoing problems are found and not resolved.

But not defunded during a pandemic. They do a lot of good around the world and likely will be critical in helping 3rd world countries get through this.

If you line up the 4 timelines of what WHO, CDC, China, and Trump said or did and dates when they said or did it, the problem does not seem to be solely with WHO.

But WHO will be the talk of the town for a little while now. Just like big number/little number, nothing worse than Flu, nothing will happen here unless it does, it’s just one case, it’s just 15 cases on a ship, overreaction, over counts, cure can’t be worse than the problem, chloroquine the wonder drug, China, and anything else that can be made shiny and distracting for a bit.

#10577 9 months ago
Quoted from SadSack:

Why do you think there are so many Finnish jokes?

Are you Finnished?

#10759 9 months ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

Expect more push back against Authority, Civil Disobedience and rogue Openings.
The Nursing Homes are going to be hit hard.
Young people are Over It.

Are they going to attack nursing homes?

What is it with the random capitalizations? Is that a writing style of the movement?

#10836 9 months ago
Quoted from loneacer:

This lockdown has been going so long I've seen the same episode of Fresh Prince 4 times.

I have learned to like store brand unfrosted pop-tarts.

#10898 9 months ago
Quoted from Eightball88:

Unfrosted?? I bet they taste like cardboard

No, no, I don't eat them, I use them for toilet paper.

Sorry for the confusion.

#11422 9 months ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

100% yes! I think you would have to search long and hard though to find a guy that thinks she is hot lol. Maybe Anderson Pooper or Don Lemon would think she is hot?

When you have a weak argument, attack the person. Typical and predictable.

#11989 9 months ago
Quoted from twoplays25c:

In progress, the PA protest at the state Capitol in Harrisburg.
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=232799107933780
So far, my fav is the guy holding the Bill Gates and Micro Chips sign ...
I'd term this a more Bud crowd than a Coors Light crowd.

Is this an anti-mensa protest?

#11990 9 months ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

All I see are Busch Light drinkers.

This looks more like a potted meat crowd to me.

#12011 9 months ago
Quoted from twoplays25c:

As of 8PM Sunday, unless you have a medical condition or are >2, masks are mandatory til further notice at the open 'essential business' stores.
For both businesses and individuals. And you can be refused entry. If you make it ugly, they can call police and have you removed.
Meantime here are the 'Open Now' protestors at the state Capitol.
(State) Sen. Republican Doug Mastriano asked the crowd, “do you feel your rights are being trampled on?”
The crowd shouted “yes!”
"It’s time to rise up," he said.
Interestingly, the Legislature is out of session. So they've gathered to scream and honk horns at an empty building.
[quoted image]

If these fakers really wanted to work, there are plenty of jobs out there for them. Amazon, grocery stores, pet stores, warehouses, and more in PA all have immediate openings and fall under essential jobs.

https://www.indeed.com/l-Pennsylvania-jobs.html

#12012 9 months ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

nobody home, cross won't burn...

Klookies, lol.

#12236 9 months ago
Quoted from lifefloat:

And now another thing to add to the "I really don't want to get the virus" stack is the possibility that it is causing otherwise healthy young people who have contracted the virus to have a stroke. This storyline has popped up all over the internet......…...below is just one link to it.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/04/24/strokes-coronavirus-young-patients/

Any healthy people thinking about contracting Covid-19 on purpose to get a Pandemic Hall Pass needs to read this story and a couple others first. We are still in a low information environment - beating this is not the same risk as beating the flu.

#12345 9 months ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It’s not all doom and gloom here in nyc these days! Enjoy:

Levi! Levi! Levi! Levii! Woohoo!!!!! that was awesome!! Wish I could have seen it live! Deserving of 100 Upvotes!

#12363 9 months ago

Even if there will never be a vaccine, if you contract this later in the curve, you may benefit from better treatment options.

So many studies happening right now on various drugs, vaccines, and treatments, the longer you go without infection, the more likely you will have the best available treatment if you do get sick.

#12529 8 months ago

So those people don’t go shopping for food and water? Supposedly, this thing spreads like wildfire. I’m just not wrapping my brain around why the meat packing plants are full of virus, but no one in the communities at large around these plants aren’t on fire with covid. They have to be shopping and getting gas somewhere....

People in meat packing plants work shoulder to to shoulder in stations on lines with conveyer belts moving product past you. Your head is literally 2 feet or less from the person on your left and your right. Very close quarters. They have lunchrooms and everyone eats lunch at the same time. It is the opposite of social distancing.

#12530 8 months ago
Quoted from robertmee:

Fake news....the lady who had Covid was not a leader of the open NC group. She was an administrator, and she contracted the virus before the movement ever started. And she has never been to any of the rally's. She lives in the western part of the state. Just goes to show you the ridiculous bias of media.

The article never said she attended a rally, just that she is a 'leader' of the movement and she herself made it unclear as to whether or not she attended any rallies. Here is the quote from the article:

"She refused to indicate whether she tested negative before releasing herself from quarantine and answered "no comment" when asked if she had attended a protest the group held last week."

#12604 8 months ago