272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 Important warning Posted by Daditude (4 years ago)

Post #6 Coronavirus website with up-to-the-moment stats Posted by Daditude (4 years ago)

Post #172 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #193 Name of disease and of the virus Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #209 Explains why you need social distancing Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #239 Comment on seasonality Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #251 Avoid ibuprofen Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #370 Info on chloroquine Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #530 News from Italy Posted by Pedretti_Gaming (4 years ago)

Post #693 Important info and advice Posted by ForceFlow (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider roffels.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#2797 4 years ago
Quoted from RWH:

Really???????? I can't fathom your thoughts, did you find that funny?????

It's literally what some talking heads and politicians are proposing - it's better to die than let the economy collapse. He's poking fun at that rhetoric, because of course it's a ghoulish take.

#3918 4 years ago
Quoted from Pickle:

This may be the rum talking but read if you want.....
I made over 99K so I get no relief so why should I even pay taxes when they don’t benefit me in times of need like this.

People that are in desperate situations can be dangerous. I'd rather live among a population that's not scared about getting thrown to the street or where their next meal is coming from than one that is. That could be seen as a spillover benefit to people in your situation.

#4351 4 years ago
Quoted from tiltmonster:

Masks are meant to prevent your potential infected droplets spreading to others, your hand and eyes are more of a concern of contracting the virus.

That's the trick though - imagine everyone wearing masks, healthy or not, to prevent spread of infected droplets - that would help the greater population, right?

#4528 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

It's not going to get changed so may as well forget it. The people that dont like the election results need to stfu and get over it. I've never seen this kind of crying and acting like stupid little babies in my life.

I'd like to introduce you to your self.

Quoted from Who-Dey:

Funny how some people like yourself can say anything that they want and arent held accountable.

#5697 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

They should be making minimum $15 an hour. Don’t you agree? I guess I’m one of those people “pushing it.”
Supermarkets are making a KILLING right now and wages should instantly be raised to $15 minimum. I’m sure you’ll confirm there’s zero sales on anything now too. The 4 for $10 TV dinners I bought the Thursday after the shit hit the fan are $5 each now. My last trip to the supermarket I didn’t see a single thing on sale. And why would I?

I agree with the pay, but disagree with the generalization on stores making a killing. With reduced hours, supply chain issues, and people afraid to go out, our business is now down quite a bit.

#6830 4 years ago
Quoted from Lame33:

One of my school district administrators posted this during a meeting the other day and it helps put thing in perspective and so I thought I would share.
[quoted image]
It does not sound like enough businesses are following these right now...

Man, solitude is getting to me. I'm tearing up just reading that.

#8797 4 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

We get a (normal) supply everyday. Problem is we need a truck load everyday. So we sell out by noon. Each factory can only make X amount a day. Many of these places were already setup to run 24/7 so it's not like they can just run more shifts to make more. Plus people are still hoarding and some are still bulk buying to resell at a higher price. If all stores would limit to only 2 packs a day they would have a better chance of catching up.

Our store's issue is our main distributor is limiting how many pallets we receive and toilet paper takes up a lot of space.

3 months later
#16686 3 years ago
Quoted from SLCpunk2113:

My wife’s best friend is headed to the hospital. 30 years old. Very healthy and just finished school to be a physical therapist. Scary times. I think I’m shutting down the arcade. The trickle of business isn’t worth risking my employees lives. Stay safe out there guys!

Thank you for taking care of your employees. I hope your wife's friend pulls through.

#16689 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Are they retired? If so all they have to do is stay away from people and they will have a 0% chance of getting Covid-19. Very simple

Quoted from Who-Dey:

Going to a doctors office is very safe, so is having a plumber come to your house unless you start kissing him and have sex with him. I guess I shouldn't have said 0% risk, maybe I should have said 0000000000.1% risk instead.
I have been in and out of doctors offices and hospitals several times since this Covid-19 thing started and I never felt worried that I would get the Coronavirus because I was there. I just went to the hospital and sat in a room for 4 hours while my lady friend had her gallbladder removed. It didnt worry me at all. I kicked back and watched some TV, fell asleep for a bit and it felt like home. That was 10 days ago and so far we are ok and I dont think we have any reason to think that we will get Covid-19 because we were there.
We gotta go to the doctors office Thursday for a follow up appointment.....I'm not worried at all about it.

I'm glad that you're doing well, but survivor's bias is a real thing. Of course all the people that survive will say "Nothing bad happened to me!" - that doesn't dismiss that other people may not have survived, they're just not here to tell you.

And not all people can be as self-sufficient as you.

#16754 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Alot of people look to the government for help and protection and I just dont understand that.

You don't understand the police, education, military, fire department, health department, or worker protections?

1 week later
#17099 3 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

Sounds like you are the little whiner here. Qouting CNN? Fail. Racist attack by using West Virginia as a metaphor? Another fail. The question is why don't YOU believe in Science and use a proper mask?

Do you yell at people wearing seatbelts because those don't prevent all traffic fatalities?

#17229 3 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

Lol ... That's the best one I've heard yet!
More theories than facts. Questions with volume, conflicting unreasonable "information"... anyway, entertaining, and still containing fragments of realistic information.
Also basic counting, math. Their count 125,000 in the video is fairly consistent with the numbers of flat top stacks shown in several visual pans. So there is questionable information in the link, they must be implying that 9/10ths of what is seen in the videos is cgi or/and some bad math? . Maybe
Why are all those lids flat again? ... unlike the "other" tens of thousands with bubble lids that are produced for "general use"? . I dunno, just a question.
It shows sometimes when people don't really watch or take in all of a vid.

I don't understand the video you shared - there's a guy on his computer, reading some fringe websites, and their main source is a guy named "Brian" - why should we give these videos extra consideration or attention?

2 weeks later
#17746 3 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

Scored some hand sanitizer, but it smells like moonshine. Is there anyway to neutralize the smell?

Be careful, in the United States a lot of producers used methanol for hand sanitizer and it's getting recalled for being unsafe.

1 month later
#19012 3 years ago

^ There's a third US Senator that got it, Ron Johnson from WI. I'm unsure if he was at that event or not though.

1 week later
#19258 3 years ago
Quoted from Gunnut40:

Well we have the smart guy here. How about you treat them as human beings? We do the wrong things that makes us human. You want to make difference? How about asking how is day going? Instead of why are you not wearing your mask asshole! Damn data sheets flying see this! I got you now! (Back at the homestead). Damn cootier..I was just trying to get some vettlis! What happened? Some feller showed in crow costume and started saying it’s real! Did you talk to him? Naw he just started saying wear your mask! Well that doesn't sound to polite. Well the next time you see that feller hanging around. I might shoot him in the ass!

Did you just tell someone to be polite while saying you're going to shoot them?

#19333 3 years ago
Quoted from RonSS:

So cold kills the flu but heat kills the C19? Or, rather doesn't help it? That is not a good scenario.
Feed a cold, starve a fever or however that goes,,,

The flu does well in the cold though.

#19463 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Perhaps too soon to get an actual tally on covid but,
"61% of individuals who died from H1N1 in 2009 had a BMI ≥304,c"
https://www.rethinkobesity.com/content/dam/novonordisk/rethinkobesity/patient-materials/documents/US20OB00096_COVID-19%20HCP%20Factsheet_Digital_Final.pdf
And-
"Patients with severe obesity appear to be highly represented in the severe COVID‐19 disease population."
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/oby.22866
There are quite a few articles on the subject, but the actual numbers at this point appear to still be a work in progress.

I believe the greater point they're trying to make, but it's good to understand what the numbers mean. https://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/adult.html

In the US, about 42.4% of our population is obese. The link you posted mentions that 41.7% of people hospitalized for COVID19 are obese. It appears having a healthier weight has no bearing on needing to be hospitalized or not.

1 week later
#19855 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

There's been some early reports that the flu vaccine makes it harder to catch covid-19 (but exactly what the reason for that is remains unclear), which has me considering a flu shot for our family for the first time ever.
If you're going to go into that tremendously risky family gathering, I'd take out some insurance with a flu shot for you and your wife at least 3 weeks in advance so your immune system has fully recovered from the shot and that may give you a boost in protection if you are exposed to the novel coronavirus from someone not yet symptomatic that has COVID-19 at the gathering.

Do you have any articles backing this? I'm not having any luck. Thanks!

1 week later
#20088 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I see VERY few maskless faces or nose-maskers here in this photo I took in Times Square on Saturday. Thousands of people and almost all of them are wearing masks, and doing it properly.

Wow. That's something. I went to look for a celebration in Minneapolis, I heard there was a gathering near the 3rd precinct that was burned down. By the time I got there it had made its way elsewhere. I walked along Lake Street, and found these deer just chilling in a cemetery. There was a fence between us, but they seemed so unbothered by being near people. We hung out for a few minutes, enjoying the peace, until I moved on.

20201107_161846 (resized).jpg20201107_161846 (resized).jpg

#20162 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

Twin cities region:
Regions Hospital has over 20 people in emergency room waiting for beds to become available.
Methodist is on divert.
Lakeview 95% full. (Edit: granted lakeview is super tiny to begin with, so a fire at a house party could fill it to 95%)

I live alone and have been going into the office on a limited basis just to have some human contact. With as bad as things are, I think it may be best that I become a hermit for a while. It's so bad around here. And about 6 people in our organization have tested positive in the last two weeks.

1 week later
#20336 3 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

How do people sort through this kind of thing exactly?...
Information wars they say ...

By acknowledging things for what they are. I sat through that video and they don't even acknowledge there's a virus, only that they feel controlled and stoking fear that this will lead to another holocaust. Here's the thing, many of us wearing masks or not getting together with our family is because we want to protect them or ourselves, and would be doing this independent of government regulation or laws.

it's a unicorn (resized).jpgit's a unicorn (resized).jpg
#20350 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

How many people here are still planning on cooking the same Thanksgiving spread...just not inviting anyone over?

I work in grocery, and this is the biggest question we have.

#20362 3 years ago
Quoted from EJS:

I was at Sams club in Eagan today. They have a limit on 5 turkeys. Five? How many people would you have to invite to need 5 birds? As a kid I don’t remember having more than 1. Let alone in this covid climate.

Haha wow. Some people are concerned about supply chain shortages. My current experience is we won't be seeing many long-term out of stocks of food or supplies, but as this virus gets out of control, we'll have temporary disruptions. IE what happens if the producers' truck drivers are too sick to work? Or the distributors? In our business, someone in our production team got sick. The big question was whether everyone else had to quarantine and how we'd manage without an entire department. It's a mess, but we're coping as best as we can.

#20392 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Ok. I see now. Thanks. But how about when I am watching You Tube on my big screen TV?

You can get premium access that disables ads: https://www.youtube.com/red

1 week later
#20517 3 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

Omg, you really believe that nonsense man??

Quoted from razorsedge:

it isn't good for people to be eating that ****!.

potkettleblack (resized).jpgpotkettleblack (resized).jpg
#20552 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

Wife has noted an apparent shift in tone. Don’t get me wrong, she still got a “this whole thing isn’t real/a big deal and you guys are making it up for profit” today but now the more prominent theme is “where is my vaccine? Why won’t you give me the vaccine? I’m a better candidate than those other people. Why are you hoarding it? Where is it? Give it to me.”
People be crazy.

Oh wow. I don't mean to pry, but has this been a major source of friction between you two? There are some things people can disagree on and still get along, but I would seriously have a lot of trouble with such differing views on something so serious.

#20578 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

Apologies if you were being tongue in cheek, but to clarify, the dialogues in my post were a paraphrase of my wife’s patients yesterday.

Oh, I misunderstood and thought you were had that attitude. Thanks for the clarification.

#20679 3 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

120 fuel pumps and a grocery-store sized travel store with multiple food stations. Huge, clean rest rooms with hand sanitizer by every urinal and stall.
I was at that Macon location two weeks ago. Masks suggested, but not required unless you "are in close contact with a Buc-ee's employee while inside". Not required at the registers as they have the plexi shields at every register.
An amazing place. Yes, I wore a mask even though not required. I Estimate that 75% of customers were wearing one.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

One thing I don't get - why even bother with hand sanitizer if you're not going to have near 100% mask compliance? The primary transmission is through droplets from people breathing. 25% of people not wearing masks seems like the bigger problem. Kind of like skydiving wearing a helmet but no parachute.

#20708 3 years ago
Quoted from PokerJake:

My family and I drove the 35 minutes to Wisconsin to enjoy dinner and drinks. We met up with some of my extended family and had about 20 of us head to another restaurant. It felt great to be out and about, none of us are high risk, oldest one is 56 and in great health. It's sad Minnesota is going to give up potential income and force closures to Wisconsin for nothing. Planning to head back over the river on Friday.

Who knew? The double pandemic everyone warned us about is actually Affluenza and Covid.

I read this article shortly after reading your post:
https://fortune.com/2020/12/08/restaurant-workers-say-the-pandemic-has-brought-fewer-tips-and-more-sexual-harassment/

Quoted from misfitdart:

Why would you get sick if you got the vaccination??? didnt think your rant through did ya?? lol

It's not 100% effective.

1 week later
#20799 3 years ago
Quoted from albummydavis:

This has been really interesting to me. My son is playing hockey, and almost all of the team-associated transmissions among younger kids has been identified as happening in locker rooms and outside team related events. Still scary as heck, but until it appears to be a problem, I’m willing to let him play.

So how are teams trying to prevent spread in locker rooms? Do they limit how many people are in it at a time?

#20809 3 years ago
Quoted from PokerJake:

So you can't trust statistics? Hmmm...

Have you posted any statistics? I missed it.

Quoted from Oaken:

Coming at this a bit sideways but could you point me towards your news / statistics source that has led you to believe sporting events AREN’T an issue?

I've spent some time looking, and admittedly this not an area I'm all that dialed in on. I'm curious too. I've found a few opinion pieces that the infections are from teammates meeting or eating together but haven't had luck finding any real data.

1 week later
#20919 3 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

And for anyone interested in raw numbers, compare South Dakota's testing rate to Delaware's, a state with a comparable population size. It is very obvious South Dakota isn't testing nearly as much as they should be. Why is that?
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/national/coronavirus-us-cases-deaths/?itid=hp_pandemic-guide-box-1208

My uneducated guess would be population density. Mass testing sites are pretty convenient if you don't need to travel far. I imagine if I was a 50-minute drive from a testing site, I wouldn't bother.

#20930 3 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

If you take this virus seriously and think you may have it, you'll drive 50 miles if you are able, especially if you have a family.

I get what you're saying, but our definitions of taking this serious are different. My assumption is everyone has the virus, myself included, regardless of the tests' results.

So if I have symptoms, I'm treating it as if I have it. I'm also in a position where I can and have been mostly isolated.

#20985 3 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

I am sorry but you are wrong, on many levels. That is not my uninformed opinion.
I can not even effectively respond here and have it published. So there you go.
What I can say is that maybe you should read up on the W.H.O. advise, which disagrees with you.

Don't you live in Australia where lock downs worked in the goal of reducing infections?

The United States doesn't have anything near a "shut down" - we have poorly implemented restrictions that vary by local government.

#21012 3 years ago
Quoted from oldskool1969:

ha ha, another biased source, The Guardian. Cmon man.

... yes, there is bias in the media. You're biased. Everyone here has bias. Good job on pointing that out.

Here's another report from another biased organization with a different agenda than the Guardian. : https://www.foxnews.com/world/russia-admits-coronavirus-death-toll-3-times-higher-than-reported

#21030 3 years ago
Quoted from Lame33:

For some positive news, I went to the grocery store for the the first time in several weeks and while it was crowded (immanent snow storm and new years on the horizon), I observed plenty of good social distancing practices and 100% mask compliance. No chin diapers or exposed sniffers to be seen.
Even more inspiring was this was at Woodman's, where I've yet to see great mask habits and can be an odd place with an interesting clientele. They carry every grocery item imaginable, don't take credit cards, and most of their stores that I've been in give off a slight People of Walmart vibe.

That is good news. I work for a grocery organization that has a pretty good COVID response - enforced masks, store limited to 30% capacity, markers on the floor to encourage distancing, with most customers keeping distance.

I visited my folks in Wisconsin back in August when my grandmother died (not COVID related), and stopped in a Woodmans. It was chaos. No distancing. Masks on the chin, people screaming, children running everywhere. I've been so used to our stores' culture and it was a huge culture shock stopping in there. I couldn't get out of there fast enough, and left empty handed.

1 week later
#21131 3 years ago
Quoted from Trogdor:

Wouldn’t it be more efficient to dose more then do a second dose for any?

No, because the virus could become resistant to the vaccine.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/covid-vaccine-two-shots-undermine-efforts/

1 week later
#21279 3 years ago
Quoted from misfitdart:

I’m seeing “experts” comment on the inaccurate case/death counts but very little on the massive spikes in domestic abuse, mental breakdowns, divorce rates, crime rates

Hey, I agree we need better mental health resources and business relief too! I also believe that the threat from COVID is real. These don't need to be mutually exclusive thoughts.

#21298 3 years ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

I do think everyone needs to be doing their part to limit the spread, such as continuing to mask and distance. But I will say that my wife and I spent almost a year being really worried about catching Covid. We took extreme measures, were very cautious, pulled our daughter out of school, and in the end...we still got Covid anyway ... But at the same time, I would expect any relatively healthy, relatively young person to have no significant problems with Covid. If that profile fits you, then I wouldn't worry about catching it, so much as inadvertently spreading it.

I'm young and healthy, but caught this before people were masking up or even knew there was community spread. While I hope I don't have any permanent damage, it definitely kicked my ass and I ended up at the ER. For me, your experience illustrates how taking caution can reduce your chance of having a bad case. Glad you came out of this well.

1 week later
#21414 3 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

It looks like Florida is one of the places to be, looking at the outcomes and numbers.
The old media is on the attack there though, it seems? ... I don't understand, why are they doing that?

I'd be suspicious of any numbers out of Florida:
https://www.npr.org/2020/12/08/944200394/florida-agents-raid-home-of-rebekah-jones-former-state-data-scientist

#21459 3 years ago

Fascinating hearing people argue a 1-2% fatality rate from COVID is no big deal, but a potential .00003% fatality rate from a vaccine is cause for concern.

This last year has been exhausting.

#21494 3 years ago

Why not just say it out loud?

1 month later
#21832 3 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

This was per news outlets just a bit ago. I would never say that Texans have "mastered" safe practices, lol

Oof. I feel so bad for the working class that are at the mercy of their employers to keep them safe.

#21898 3 years ago
Quoted from rwmech5:

This isn't a 1 size fits all situation. Densely populated urban centers are where most of the transmissions are, rural areas and smaller cities aren't having near the numbers and R values are under 1.

This is not true for our state, unless you're not accounting for population.

1 week later
#22019 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I think at this point they really just want to get jabs into arms and don’t really care about whether or not you have an ironclad case for eligibility.
Nobody I know including myself was required to provide actual proof for the reason they got their shot. I really don’t think they care they just want people to get vaccinated.

Yep. I've heard a few stories of pharmacies asking for documentation, but far more where there are no questions asked beyond the survey taken online.

They didn't ask for my ID or insurance card when I received mine from a major pharmacy chain. I didn't even give them my name, they said "You must be [my name]" when I got there, and asked "Do you still live at [my address]"? Yes, and yes.

#22022 3 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

I don't mean to ruffle any feathers, but i am debating getting the vaccine. For those that don't know, here is my story

Maybe I'm missing it, but I don't see the cause of your hesitancy in your post. Like, what's the worst case scenario if you do get the vaccine?

If it's something you care about, and the vaccines have sterilizing immunity, at the very least less hosts decreases likelihood of mutations I'd hope.

#22102 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinballs:

Other 'real world' study data gives AZ a greater efficacy (different end point) than the Pfizer vaccine:
https://www.ox.ac.uk/news/2021-02-22-coronavirus-vaccination-linked-substantial-reduction-hospitalisation-real-world-data
"Based on data from 1.14 million vaccinations which have been administered, scientists from the University of Edinburgh have shown that both the BioNtech/Pfizer and Oxford vaccines are highly effective and that by the fourth week after receiving the initial dose shown to reduce the risk of hospitalisation from COVID-19 by up to 85% and 94%, respectively.".
Very confusing.

Keep in mind, at 4 weeks, you won't have the full protection of pfizer or moderna's. They believe the best efficacy is two weeks after receiving your 2nd shot which could be 5-6 weeks after receiving your first.

#22128 3 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

I remember hearing the Pfizer people were able to decrease the production cycle from ~110 days to 50 or 60 days.
One thing to note (made a difference in my case) is the Pfizer vax has the easier temperature storage requirements than Moderna, meaning the Pfizer is better suited to the rural communities.

"The Pfizer vaccine requires ultracold storage (-76 to -112 degrees F), while the Moderna vaccine can be stored at -20 degrees F, or normal freezer temperatures."
https://news.sanfordhealth.org/coronavirus-disease-2019-covid-19/moderna-and-pfizer-vaccines-similarities-and-differences/

Edit - I see they've changed Pfizer temperature requirements to allow conventional freezers to work. Sorry for the confusion!
https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/coronavirus-covid-19-update-fda-allows-more-flexible-storage-transportation-conditions-pfizer

2 weeks later
#22278 3 years ago

Got pfizer two this past Monday. I had a sore spot at the injection site, and around 15 hours later, I felt like I took a bunch of cough medicine and felt incredibly drowsy. Not too bad but I probably could have benefitted from taking a nap rather than working.

1 week later
#22392 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Looking forward to the comparisons of annual vaccine related blood clot deaths to those of car accidents.
ARE YOU SAYING WE SHOULD BAN CARS?!

Can we?

Quoted from DaveH:

I consider pharmacists to be just like regular people. If they told me about a chemical reaction or side effect of a medication I had been prescribed, I’d listen intently because they are trained in that subject. But if they spoke on other subjects, like this one, I’d treat their words with the same weight as if said by a 2 year old. He was just spouting opinions.
Could that happen? I guess it’s possible, but highly doubtful. Just imagine the backlash.

Not only that, the "proof" is literally just a piece of cardboard that's reasonably easy to fake.

1 week later
#22535 2 years ago

Hey pinlink, i was stressing about pfizer's 2nd shot too. Thankfully the worst I had was feeling drowsy like I just took some cough medicine. Hopefully your 2nd shot is no worse.

#22538 2 years ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

I gave this an upvote for having the balls to admit your fears in this thread knowing the landslide of responses itll spawn.

Good call. I appreciate people being honest about this sort of thing. Anxiety is no joke either.

#22582 2 years ago
Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

I have been trying to stay very careful, and at this point I may have to lie and say I do not feel well and everyone needs to stay away from me, until I can go get a shot. (not sure if my age group can yet, last time I looked it was still for others older than me).

Sorry to hear about your girlfriend's brother. Assuming your location is correct, in Georgia, vaccines are available for anyone 16 and older. https://dph.georgia.gov/covid-vaccine

#22682 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I'm all for letting science have it's say on this but I'd like to know what the endgame is here.

Look, I sometimes have acne and my teeth aren't great. Hiding my face hasn't been so bad.

#22776 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Sounds good. And inside, too.
On further thought, I guess it does not really matter. If you are vaccinated you are golden. And if you are not, you are taking your chances; If you lose that means more for those of us who are still around.

There are breakthrough cases, children that can't get vaccinated, and possibility of further mutations though.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/news/article/California-reveals-how-many-breakthrough-cases-16172770.php

#22801 2 years ago
Quoted from Gunnut40:

Y’all crack me up. The funny thing is I get my vaccine shots like clock work. Just seeing you doing you’re dog pile posting. It makes me resist! How about y’all treating people as human beings for having different options? Nope keep on being elites. Your way the highway? Piss on on it I’ll kiss the curb!

Quoted from Gunnut40:

That was a good response. I’m waiting. My wife got her first shot about a week ago. She turns into a zombie. I’m going to round house kick her in the face!

ok.

#22907 2 years ago
Quoted from Trogdor:

The CDC recommended bleaching everything and wearing masks outside. And they were wrong. Did any of you listen to people who questioned these protocols last year or just mass downvote?

Being outside isn't a barrier to catching COVID, close face-to-face conversations outside put you at risk.

Quoted from Trogdor:

Even if an impossible 90% were vaccinated, the wrong variant would still spread like fire and destroy everything- so you suggest lockdown until no cases worldwide? Good thing we didn’t do that with polio.

Why do you think this? The currently available vaccines still offer some strong protection against variants, and 75% efficacy is still better than 0%.

What is your suggestion? Do nothing? Open everything up? Close down borders between states? The virus is already here.

Quoted from rwmech5:

What happened to my body, my choice? If you are vaccinated and they do what they're supposed to, why are you concerned what others do?

Vaccines aren't 100% effective. They're most effective when everyone has them.

1 week later
#23002 2 years ago
Quoted from rwmech5:

No one should be forced to take anything. That is a slippery slope. Put yourself in their shoes if your employer said you had to take a shot you weren’t comfortable with.

Workers should have a right to a safe workspace and expectation of their employer to providing one.

Quoted from RonSS:

Maybe your employer should demand you be a vegetarian, or do yoga three times a week? Maybe they shouldn't allow alcohol or smoking/vaping outside of work hours (or within!)?

At least none of those things sound bad.

2 weeks later
#23176 2 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

Both guests have gotten the jab, both are now seriously questioning, for many reasons.
Just saying ... don't shoot the messenger!
https://trialsitenews.com/should-you-get-vaccinated/

It's curious that he has no sources for his most outlandish claims.

#23191 2 years ago

Razorsedge, you could post "Wake up, Sheeple!" and save your fingers some work and get the same message across.

3 weeks later
#23376 2 years ago

Has anyone found any studies addressing whether people vaccinated can still get long-COVID symptoms if infected?

1 week later
#23561 2 years ago
Quoted from RonSS:

I fear too many people are just following and not taking a second to think.
You can go all in on pocket aces and still lose the hand. .

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jemimamcevoy/2021/07/01/995-of-people-killed-by-covid-in-last-6-months-were-unvaccinated-data-suggests/

Being a free, questioning thinker sounds like risky business.

#23627 2 years ago
Quoted from Flyfalcons:

Just demonstrating why covid deaths among the working aged does not make for a labor shortage. That takes math and percentages, like it or not. But your virtue has been signalled, and that's what's most important.

Someone at some point should explain to me why some folks think that using the words "virtue signaling" is some kind of gotcha. "Look at this guy over here, caring about more than half a million people dead! What a virtue signaler, am i right?" "oh wow, this person cares about something. Virtue signal much? "

It's not like they're going around displaying their flag lapel or shouting political slogans in unrelated threads. Seems pretty appropriate to talk about the impact of covid in the Coronavirus thread.

#23723 2 years ago
Quoted from Flyfalcons:

Your virtues are duly noted. Back to enjoying my life. (The math still doesn't lie regarding unemployment though)

You do you.

1 week later
#23908 2 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

If your local Wal-mart closes for a couple days for deep cleaning, congrats. Delta has arrived and they had an outbreak….

Not a Wal-Mart employee, but early in the pandemic, when we had our first employee infected at our grocery store, we shut down for a deep clean. Not long after, our state's department of health reached out and advised us it's more important to stay open and provide food to the community than to close and do a deep clean. I'm doubtful Wal-Mart would close in the US to do a deep clean from an outbreak.

#23916 2 years ago

Seems like a lot of work considering the primary transmission is from aerosols and water droplets and not fomite, I thought we had this figured out April 2020.

Edit - don't get me wrong, it's good to keep things clean, but we should be doing that anyways.

#23921 2 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

They have to do something, even if just for show, otherwise employees will bolt....

Feels like we're back in the early days of the pandemic. My workplace did the cleaning theater long before requiring masks, and Wal-Mart is strongly encouraging customers to wear masks now, not requiring.

#23983 2 years ago

Any of you still taking trips? (Mr. Bally, I see you, and know you have no issue traveling)

I have a vacation planned that will have me on public transportation and a flight to Colorado. I have tickets for some indoor live music. It's all feeling like a pretty terrible idea right now. I'm vaccinated, and will be wearing n95 masks indoors, but I'm kind of dreading this.

#24052 2 years ago
Quoted from BigT:

This is from my wife’s work who funds Stowers Institute.[quoted image]

This drives me nuts, it's the same argument as those that were arguing survival from covid being a sure thing by comparing deaths against total population rather than deaths among the infected. I realize it's difficult to track breakthroughs against possible exposure, but comparing against population vaccinated seems incredibly misleading. To date, roughly 10% of the US has contracted COVID since the start of the pandemic.

#24121 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

And you’re not for forcing people how??
The flu goes around every year and kills tens of thousands…no vaccine mandate. Last I checked, the flu gets passed person to person.
Tens of thousands die each year in car crashes. Many of the deaths are caused by other people. Should we ban cars?
People die in plane crashes every year, of which none is their fault….time to ban planes?
There’s no such thing as living a life without any risk. As adults, we all examine risk, and make decisions off of it…hence, the recent spike in vaccinations.
You can’t answer my question, because you are well aware it destroys your argument.

Sure, make a flu vaccine mandatory for working in some places. Why not? Some businesses do. Are you against the free market?

Yes, there are safety requirements for planes and cars. What safety proposals do you have to curb COVID?

#24129 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

I’m against the government forcing us, or putting mandates on us to get vaccinated.

How about private businesses?

#24354 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

I understand completely. Some people are for control over other people’s lives.
As I said before, people are capable of making their own decisions. The vaccine is out and readily available. With this latest surge, more and more people are getting vaccinated. Hence, people looking at their risk assessment and more are deciding to get vaccinated.
This idea that covid will go away is foolish thinking. It’s going to be with us forever. We need to learn to live with it.

Learning to live with it might just mean everyone getting vaccinated so we don't need to worry about our hospitals getting overrun. Your NYC analogy would be fantastic if you were also advocating for there being no laws, and to just stay home.

#24372 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Give me one good reason why I should trust the government to protect us/stop the virus.
Here is one fantastic reason why I don't trust them: Delta variant.
Delta variant originated in India. How on earth did it get here? Did our government not know about this virus mutating?

I don't trust our government to do enough to stop it, but that doesn't mean we should do nothing.

#24390 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Doing something isn’t always better than nothing.
Go into hospital for a heart attack, but you get a vasectomy. Hey, at least they did something.

I can't tell if this is an act or if you're being earnest.

#24445 2 years ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

Here watch my video its a tear jerker, really gets the heart strings:

Hey, a fan of Bill Burr! Here's a video for you.

1 week later
#25121 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Look at October ‘20 through mid January ‘21.
I’m on my phone, otherwise I would post the chart.
Everyone is using one time use masks how many times? How many people wear it incorrectly?

If I'm doing a quick shopping trip, I use a kn95 and toss it after the day is over. N95 for any work shift/extended time around people. Toss it when I'm done.

#25214 2 years ago
Quoted from embryonjohn:

“While moderating the symptoms of infection, the jab allows vaccinated individuals to carry unusually high viral loads without becoming ill at first, potentially transforming them into presymptomatic superspreaders.
This phenomenon may be the source of the shocking post-vaccination surges in heavily vaccinated populations globally”
[quoted image]

That's misleading.
https://www.reuters.com/article/factcheck-251-viral/fact-check-study-did-not-find-vaccinated-healthcare-workers-carry-251-times-the-viral-load-of-those-who-were-unvaccinated-idUSL1N2PX1HH

Edit - Missed the previous response.

#25338 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Read it again.
The masks everyone wears, people are still breathing in and breathing out the virus. So since people are breathing in and breathing out the virus, how exactly is the mask stopping the virus? Answer: it isn’t.
It’s only the N95 that is properly worn, stops the virus.
They also use the word “may.” It may stop the virus vs. it will stop the virus are two completely different things. When they use the word may, it means in perfect conditions the masks people wear will stop the virus. Perfect conditions…that practically never happens.

I agree, we should make it so every American has easy access to n95 masks and they should be worn.

#25550 2 years ago
Quoted from JoeJet:

So then what's your opinion as to why Hawaii and Florida's curves are so similar?

Florida has around 14 times the population and 100 times the daily deaths right now. I'm not seeing what you're seeing. Unless you're just looking at case counts, then my guess would be under-testing in Florida.

Florida hawaii (resized).jpgFlorida hawaii (resized).jpg
1 week later
#25851 2 years ago

I've read posts like these on Reddit's Herman Caine Awards.

#25882 2 years ago
Quoted from Mjonesproperty:

Do you even realize how ignorant and foolish you sound to any sane person in this country spewing that garbage?

My point is, you don’t live their life, you have no clue what is or is not going on in their heads so what gives you the right to judge them???? Pure ignorance and division driven by external influences is what I read, plain and simple.

I honestly had the same reaction to you and your Matrix meme. You think this is profound? Or you have a grasp on the factors on why people are being cautious during a (hopefully) once in a life time pandemic? People are having a conversation about a pandemic, and you come in with a cartoon.

#25916 2 years ago
Quoted from JimB:

So what next? If we aren’t eligible to get a booster and with each month our percentage of protection goes down.

CVS and Walgreens probably will just take your word if you ask for a third dose.

#25945 2 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

No sense in changing the mind of the company president. I have raised the topic many times at meetings but unfortunately people slip up all the time ...I watch it from my office like a spy.

Sorry, what?

#25973 2 years ago

Art lives in Florida, that might have something to do with it.

#25993 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

If a marathon is meaningless, then so are the following things:
Sports
Restaurants
Movies
Shooting range
Libraries
Weddings
Any stores that isn’t a grocery store
Pinball companies
All public transportation
Schools
Parks
Beaches
Gyms
Concerts
Plays
Companies like Pepsi and coke
Theme parks
Resorts
Museums
Funerals
Parties
Church (all religions)
If you’re gonna come down on a marathon cause it can spread the disease, then be consistent. Everything else should be shut down too, cause it can spread the disease.

I mean for most of that list, yeah?

Like look, I'm for everyone pursuing things that make them happy or better their life experience, but let's not pretend you're making an amazing contribution to the world by attending live music, playing pinball, running a marathon, or working out. The value it holds to you is what matters. If it means so much to you, why worry about other people validating what you do?

#26025 2 years ago
Quoted from cnuts13:

thats why people with similar thoughts to me keep them to themselves.

I like that about them.

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

But what about the charities?!?!?!

No marathons=no charities. Sorry.

#26058 2 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Thoughts please.
My wife and I fully vaccinated (Moderna; she just had a booster shot).
We are going to an indoor show (essentially a one man show) in Denver where proof of full vaccination or negative test is required for entry and will both be wearing N95 masks. Don’t know how good the theater’s ventilation system is. Show appears to be almost sold out. How concerned should I be for 2-2.5 hours?

Honestly I've grappled with this. I feel like I'm a hypocrite but aside from not going, wearing an n95 and being vaccinated is the best you can hope for. Bonus if the venue forces masks. I've been to a few shows, and it's been a mix of super uncomfortable (indoor show with hardly any one masked) to vaccinated and forced masked (and I let myself get wrapped up in the music). I've worn my n95s to all shows.

#26096 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Youtube has banned anti-vax misinformation videos.
A death blow to the anti-vax movement?! I can't imagine it continuing at this point since it pretty much depends 100 percent on youtube links.

There's always facebook and twitter. Or did those get nuked too?

#26168 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

12 year olds are not allowed to run marathons.
Is that where you’re going with this?
Here’s some more data you don’t want to see or acknowledge: https://www.aap.org/en/pages/2019-novel-coronavirus-covid-19-infections/children-and-covid-19-state-level-data-report/

12 year old and younger children interact with adults though?

Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Did you even bother looking at the picture I posted?????
0.55% of the vaccinated in NJ has caught covid. With the vaccine, I have a 99.45% chance of not getting covid.
0.01% of the vaccinated in NJ has been hospitalized with covid. With the vaccine, I have a 99.99% chance of not going to the hospital with covid.
0.003% of the vaccinated in NJ has died with covid. With the vaccine, I have a 99.997% chance of not dying with covid.
What kind of full protection are you looking for......There's no vaccine that is 100%.

Counting cases against the total amount vaccinated is incredibly misleading. At least 85% of the United States hasn't gotten COVID yet, but that doesn't mean everyone in the country only has a 15% chance of getting COVID.

#26197 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

What exactly is misleading??? The chart shows how incredibly effective the vaccine is at preventing the vaccinated from catching covid. How you come to any other conclusion is beyond mind boggling.

It's not mind boggling if you understand. It's like saying in February 2020 that 99.99% of the United States hasn't caught covid - how useful is that information? Nevermind that as near as I know, only hospitalized breakthrough cases are getting counted.

For it to be relevant, you would need to compare per capita likelihood of catching covid between both the vaccinated and unvaccinated over a given time period.

#26255 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Yet, we didn’t reach the same numbers as late fall. Why is that?

My friend, compare October 8th of last year to October 8th this year... We still have plenty of opportunities to reach last year's height and then some.

Also where in your FDA link does it say masks don't work?

covid cases (resized).jpgcovid cases (resized).jpg
#26262 2 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

This morning I feel a little tired, arm is sore. Otherwise fine.

Pfizer # 3 just made me sleepy the next day. Same for dose #2.

#26273 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

OMG!!!!!
I wasn’t comparing the exact day of this year to the exact day of last year.
I was comparing the summer surge this year to the fall surge last year.
People need to start growing up.

Take your own advice. This year's summer surge was worse than last year's.

#26283 2 years ago
Quoted from skink91:

Live your life the way you believe it should be lived, and be an example to those around you. Don’t dictate terms to your loved ones… we need to stop telling them that we won’t (visit them, talk to them, care about them, invite them to holidays, etc) if they vote for someone, hold an opinion, have a sexual preference, etc.
I just don’t understand how we get here…

Eh. I had no problem telling my parents I would not be visiting them until both they and I were vaccinated, especially when my mom was vaccine hesitant. I didn't want it on my conscience if I brought COVID into their household and it killed them.

#26311 2 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I’d love to get a booster shot, since I’m 6 months out from jab #2 now. I’m well under 65, but I have high blood pressure and mild asthma. Are the drug stores asking for a note from a doctor before allowing you to get the booster?
EDIT: looks like only Pfizer people are getting booster shots right now:
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/booster-shot.html

You can just check a box when booking your shot saying you're at high risk and get a shot at CVS or Walgreens.

#26317 2 years ago
Quoted from jorge5240:

Dude is vaccinated and wont take a ride with a family member just doesn’t make sense to me.
I am all for vaccination I just don’t understand how covid is treated so much differently than all other illness.
I will let you guys go back to hoarding and preparing for doomsday scenarios.
And the dudes smoking, drinking, and eating like shit also clog up your ERs and increase medical costs as well. Probably more over the long term.

I don't want brain damage from someone breathing or coughing close to me.

#26322 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

The data is indisputable. The vaccines are practically a guarantee against hospitalization and death.

In the past 30 days, over 20% of COVID hospitalizations and deaths in the Seattle area were among the vaccinated.

#26351 2 years ago
Quoted from albummydavis:

This is a meaningless statistic and fear-mongering. As the vaccinated start to outnumber the unvaccinated, it only stands to reason it will increase. The only number that matters is % of either group to be hospitalized or die.
Still depressing though

I understand the numbers, I also find people saying "Virtually no chance you'll die" like the car avatar dude is misleading. The vaccinated still can and will get sick. Your chances are just reduced.

1 week later
#26488 2 years ago
Quoted from poppapin:

Got my Pfizer booster last Thurs. and arm still red and warm at injection site. WTF they put in this shot habanero?

It's so wild hearing all the different reactions. My 1st shot gave me insomnia and a sore arm, 2 and 3 just made me really sleepy the next day.

#26510 2 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

Total confirmed cases per 100,000 population since start of the pandemic. Sorted highest to lowest. Just the first few rows.
Notice a theme?
[quoted image][quoted image]

It gets kind of interesting when you look at deaths per capita. Florida is among the worst, but so is New York, New Jersey, etc. I wish it was easier to see this broken down by demographics, when the deaths occurred, etc.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/1109011/coronavirus-covid19-death-rates-us-by-state/

#26524 2 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

Problem is if I give death data, then they will ask for age distribution of population and infected.
Then it will be covid type.
Then it will be seasonal.
Etc…
Forever there will be excuses for why it is really New York and New Jersey that are really the worst actors while the Dakotas are really the gold standards. If only we slice and dice the data just so.

Hopefully my mentioning NYC or NJ didn't lump me in with that lot. I've been pretty horrified by the "pretend the pandemic doesn't exist" crowd and wear n95s in public, and I'm fully boosted. I just found it interesting that the death per capita list didn't cleanly follow the cases per capita, and trying to pinpoint the exact reasonings why each state did better or worse seems complicated.

#26552 2 years ago
Quoted from Mikala:

I’m glad to see Expo is more civil and using common sense with their rules than MGC’s 12-years and up need to be vaccinated or tested before entering.

I can see why you might like the policy better, but I don't see how it is more civil or common sense.

#26568 2 years ago
Quoted from Mikala:

If Dan was truly concerned about everyone’s health and safety for MGC, then he should require that everyone (vaxed-unvaxed) bring a negative test, not just the unvaxed. I caught COVID from my vaccinated wife. After arguing with her for three days to get tested when she first showed symptoms of being sick, she finally got tested on day four (and tested positive) when I had to take her to the hospital. Her attitude the first three days was I’m vaccinated so I can’t have COVID and don’t need a test. This is the consensus I receive from many vaccinated people. They seem to think that since they are vaccinated, that they can not catch or spread Covid.
Let’s follow the science…
Vaccinated people can catch Covid.
Vaccinated people can get sick from Covid.
Vaccinated people can and will spread Covid just as easily as a non-vaccinated person.
So considering the above, MGC is not protecting anybody with their policy. If anything, they are creating an unsafe environment for the non-vaccinated, since there will most likely be, many vaccinated people infected with COVID spreading it to others, because they weren’t required to show a negative test.
I see EXPO taking more of an adult approach to this. People have to be responsible for themselves and others. What EXPO is stating in their policy is, vaccinated or not, if you are sick or show signs of being sick, be responsible and do not attend the show. It’s as simple as that.

Alright, I get where you're coming from. Honestly I think it's kind of insane not to have masking for everyone in these situations - but from what I heard from Dan, they couldn't require it because event staff refused to enforce it unless it was in place by law.

#26593 2 years ago
Quoted from BrianJ1337:

Overall? Mortality cases in Florida is ranked 7th overall since the start.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/1109011/coronavirus-covid19-death-rates-us-by-state/
With ZERO MANDATES!

Look, I have to ask, you realize being ranked 7th in deaths is bad, right? More deaths per 100,000 people isn't something to cheer. Unless you're rooting for the virus?

#26613 2 years ago
Quoted from BrianJ1337:

We could compare to any state with lockdown measures and mask mandates we have maybe 15 more deaths per 100k That's with the highest elderly population per capita in the US. Some states force kids to wear masks at school. My kids haven't worn a mask except the first month or so into the pandemic. 90% of the kids at the schools don't wear masks here, barely any adults do either. My dentist nor chiropractor requires then either and wow.. we're doing as well as everyone else is. Weird huh?

Survivorship bias.

#26706 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Raise your hand if you feel you have been “living your life” over the last year.
Ok, that’s everybody.

2020 was definitely down the toilet, but 2021 has been alright. Traveled to California, Illinois, Wisconsin, and Colorado, seen and met some of my favorite musicians. Played some location pinball. Things are definitely different but I'm glad to return to activities that were all on pause.

#26847 2 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

There now appears to be 3 groups of people in regards to views towards the pandemic.
1. Those that don't believe in the pandemic (or at least that's it not that serious), that the case / death counts are inaccurate, that vaccines are fake and or not needed, prefer / refuse not to wear a mask.
2. Those that believe in the science, willingly got vaccinated, and now want to move on (or already have) with their lives without mask mandates (excluding hospitals and nursing centers)
3. Those that continue to be terrified of Covid even after being vaccinated, want to see everyone vaccinated regardless if you already had Covid, believe that mask mandates need to remain in effect regardless of vaccination status
Personally I'm seeing more people in group 2 as time goes on, just an observation.

Not sure if terrified is the right adjective for me, I'm in group 3, continue to mask. If there comes a time when long-covid is curable with no fuss, I'd probably find myself in group 2. I don't eat in restaurants, but otherwise have been going to movies/shows/etc.

Though like Crazy Levi, I'll likely always mask on public transportation and airplanes - I've caught too many nasty bugs from being seated next to people coughing.

Also, the phrase "believing in the science" is loaded, the whole concept of science is that we adapt our understanding as new information becomes available and we're still in the early days of understanding the impact of COVID. Look at Israel's data, especially as COVID cases increased with time in 2-dose vaccinated individuals. And notice that their cases plummeted after a 3rd doses became available to their population.

#26914 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

So no one wants to admit what the daily cases are……interesting.
Why would any pro-lockdown, pro-mask everything person want to admit that daily cases have crumbled from 180,000 down to 23,000 without lockdowns or mask mandates?

They're among the highest they've been in Minnesota this year:

https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2021/11/08/covid-in-mn-mdh-says-recent-numbers-among-highest-in-2021/

#26932 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Just more proof that a lot of posters don’t know anything.

I'll go to you if I have any questions about marathons, but otherwise you're just projecting here.

#26988 2 years ago
Quoted from rwmech5:

The inventor of the glorious PCR test has stated on the record that it's not designed for testing for covid.

The inventor, Kary Mullis, died in August 2019, before we were testing for COVID.
https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-factcheck-pcr/fact-check-inventor-of-method-used-to-test-for-covid-19-didnt-say-it-cant-be-used-in-virus-detection-idUSKBN24420X

Quoted from rwmech5:

No one has come out with the gene sequence of the virus

Here it is, but I'm a big dummy and have no idea what I'm looking at.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/nuccore/MT072688

Quoted from rwmech5:

and the biggest question I have is why is there a US patent on the virus itself?

Is this a Gish gallop attempt? Otherwise I'm going to need a source on that.

#27002 2 years ago

There was a post about vaccine "myths" from a couple days ago and I happen to believe some of them. For example, I am worried about the safety of vaccines to women during pregnancy. Common practice for decades has been to avoid medication during pregnancy, but now it's suddenly ok? It makes no sense to me, but I'm sure many disagree. I've discussed this with a few vaccinated women and most of them say they would have avoided during pregnancy.
So who is right, the people who say avoid medication during pregnancy or the people saying the vaccine is safe for pregnant women? Here is where i get accused of JAQ..

Flu shots, TDAP vaccinations, etc are encouraged for pregnant women though.

#27013 2 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

Weird that i am seeing this post quoting me since it is definitely bonzo’s and not my words.
Is the forum playing tricks on me?

weird. This happened in an earlier post I made too, not sure why. I'll fix it.

#27061 2 years ago
Quoted from Bmad21:

I should clear up a stance that some people seem to not understand.
9. Masking will eventually lead to a giant super cold because our immune system has not had the ability to properly aclimate to the other viruses.

Can someone explain why we should be afraid of a potential super cold from masking, but COVID is not an issue?

#27069 2 years ago
Quoted from Bmad21:

Why not kill two birds with one stone?
Manage covid and keep ourselves safe from the super cold with a robust immune system.
Will you be going to the doctor for antibodies while it's plowing through the "Following the science crowd"

I'm going to be 100% honest with you, I have no idea what solution you're proposing here or what you're on about.

#27071 2 years ago
Quoted from Bmad21:

To the thread at large.
What are you going to say to the autistic non verbal child who had their mask taped to their head.

Nothing, do you go around talking to other people's children?

Quoted from Bmad21:

What are you going to say to the scores of people who lost loved ones whom committed suicide because of the lockdowns who didn't get to see a loved one or interact with others.

Look up the definition of scores. I'm not going to play the trolley problem with you though. We can do a lot more for mental health, including funding resources, removing barriers to treatment, and remove the stigma to talking about mental health issues. Let's work together on this.

Quoted from Bmad21:

What about the untold domestic abuse that went on during the lockdown because someone was confined.

Because someone was confined? Are you for real? Maybe they're just abusive.

Quoted from Bmad21:

What makes a concert different than a Sturgis rally you should mask up at the rally but what at a concert does the virus go away.

Yes, mask at both please.

Quoted from Bmad21:

A pinball machine alone can only do so much, but does it get lonely playing alone? what about laughing, the scores, competition and sisterhood and brotherhood.

We have location pinball here, what about where you're at? Not too many people masking here though.

Quoted from Bmad21:

We either follow the real science or we screw this up big time and the person who leading the charge right now failed on the AIDS epidemic. I'll take my trust somewhere else.

Agreed, we could do much, much more to reduce the spread.

#27112 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Just be a man and admit you were wrong…yet again.

Why are you so insecure about this?

#27129 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

I answered your question.....yet again. I can't help the head in the sand mentality.

Sure you can! Just pull your head out, buddy! And maybe let it go?

#27187 2 years ago
Quoted from BrianJ1337:

Also myself and my kids do have our traditional vaccines but we are against participating in medical experiments.

You're in the control group, whether you like it or not.

Quoted from BrianJ1337:

“They don't do what a vaccine should do? They protect you from getting in hospital”
False. I stopped there.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Coronavirus/comments/qwpr2r/hospitalizations_rising_among_fully_vaccinated_in/

Why take zinc and vitamin d if it's not 100% effective then?

#27229 2 years ago
Quoted from 7oxford:

What about drink driving, speed limits, red lights and multiple other road laws you are required to abide by to protect yourself and others.

That, and we do have seatbelt laws here.

That's a great resource, I especially like this part at the bottom: "Should I Still Get Myself or My Child Vaccinated?
Yes. CDC continues to recommend that everyone ages 5 years and older get vaccinated for COVID-19. The known risks of COVID-19 illness and its related, possibly severe complications, such as long-term health problems, hospitalization, and even death, far outweigh the potential risks of having a rare adverse reaction to vaccination, including the possible risk of myocarditis or pericarditis."

#27245 2 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

Ok Brian, let’s read through that nejm article shall we?
“Among more than 2.5 million vaccinated 54 cases met the criteria for myocarditis.
A total of 76% of cases of myocarditis were described as mild and 22% as intermediate; 1 case was associated with cardiogenic shock.”
So 1 in 2.5 million had a severe reaction.
How is this evidence in your favor?

Oh hey a 99.9996% survival rate!

#27252 2 years ago
Quoted from BrianJ1337:

Isn't NZ like 91% vaccinated? Weird we can't question the effectiveness when we see numbers like this isn't it?
[quoted image]

Their total covid cases to date are roughly the same as a day's worth of new cases in my state. Weird!

#27339 2 years ago
Quoted from supermatt:

Sounds pretty simple to me. What possible effects can it have on my body five, ten, twenty years down the road? I think you know that’s what he means too but you’re trying to bait him into saying it so you can come back with why are you worried about twenty years down the road when Covid can kill you now. If you go back to Trekkie’s post from a day or two ago with the CDC elevated risk factors and not check off any of those boxes and add in a healthy diet and regular exercise, the odds of this killing you are slim to non existent vaccinated or not. I think it’s pretty clear by now that especially in younger people that an elevated BMI and smoking is your worst enemy.

The impact from Covid on your health isn't a binary "you live or you die" situation - long term effects could be reduced lung capacity, brain and organ damage, and more. So sure, you may and probably will survive, but you may not return to your perfect health.

#27370 2 years ago
Quoted from supermatt:

I’d say it’s a pretty safe bet that the majority of the long haulers fall into the same group of people with high risk factors.

I would not make that bet. Two people I know got hit hard. One was a runner, late 20s, her lungs got wrecked and she can't any more. The other young, good diet, suffers from brain fog and derealization long after getting infected.

#27424 2 years ago
Quoted from BrianJ1337:

Hard to imagine Pfizer wanted to keep these documents out of the public eye for 50 years..
"1,223 in total, carried a fatal outcome."
https://phmpt.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/11/5.3.6-postmarketing-experience.pdf
You cannot tell me these are safe or effective any longer.
Thank god the freedom of information act still exists.
A lot more than 3 Swampfire.

Gosh, makes you wonder if they smoked cigarettes, took their vitamins, or ran marathons.

#27513 2 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

I know zero people that have died from the vaccine. I know zero friends who have friends or family members die from the vaccine. Yet I have two friends that have died of Covid and over 2 dozen friends that have had family members or friends that have died from Covid. All the data falls in a similar pattern. I feel like these anti-vaxxers are either really lucky to have not been touched by death with this virus or are just completely nuts. Probably both.

I hate assuming someone is a liar, but when someone uses anti-vaxxer language like knowing someone who is "vaccine injured", I figure they're just lying to help spread their propaganda.

#27522 2 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

I agree that it is a generalized term that has been co-opted a bit. At the start, the main drivers of the movement were generally anti vaccine groups, but it has certainly grown well beyond that to encompass a whole slew of disparate groups.
My opinion: globally, a very large driver of this growth has been political in nature.
The terms I can think of tend to be more pejorative or more political than anti vax, so I have been using anti vax.
If this is still offensive, what would you suggest as a more accurate, yet still simple to say, term? Anti c19 vax doesn’t roll off the tongue the same way, which is probably why it hasn’t caught on.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaccine_hesitancy

Vaccine hesitant.

#27534 2 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

The Hesitants have had their day, IMO. I don't think any new information on the vaccines coming out in the next 5 years could sway them. Maybe if unvaccinated people started turning into Walkers, but even then I am not sure. A large portion of them would swear it's the vaccinated doing so.
Saying the entire group now is just 'vaccine hesitant' is like saying a boulder is movement resistant.

It really is hard to separate the two. Flip side is that even without my realizing, I'd been in the vaccine hesitant camp pre-covid. I was never against vaccinations, I just didn't think about getting a flu shot, or if I did, figured it was too much out of my routine to bother with. I'm better about it now. But there is a gap in philosophy, even if the societal impact is the same.

#27558 2 years ago
Quoted from RonSS:

Anti-Covax seems easy enough. I'm certain there are other iterations equally fluid.
How long until the "anti vaxxers" are also all flat Earthers?

All the flat earthers I've interacted with are definitely anti-vax.

#27566 2 years ago
Quoted from RonSS:

So, you hang out with flat earthers?

Friends of friends on facebook has introduced me to all sorts of weirdos. The second largest exposure I have to kooks is this probably on this forum ( and thankfully most people here aren't)

#27574 2 years ago
Quoted from poppapin:

How do you know they're flat earthers?

They talk about the earth being flat and how we're all sheep. It could be an elaborate ruse, it's hard to tell parody apart from reality when a person is that deep into it.

#27589 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Seriously???
Omicron is not the dominate strain in the country yet.
Isn’t it obvious I was specifically talking about omicron???

People may be able to get infected with both Omicron and Delta.

Keep wearing n95s out in public.

#27602 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

I was specifically talking about omicron.
Still waiting for the day when some people on here stop inventing words I never said.

What words did I invent? I'm having a conversation here.

I'm also talking about omicron. Even if it's mild (if... IF), we don't know what will happen when a person catches multiple strains.

#27606 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Talk about useless drivel.
It’s in 38 countries. Not 1 death from omicron. Not 1 person in this country is in the hospital because of it.
Yet…..we have no data…..
You do realize there are 4 different coronaviruses that cause the common cold. It is believed they originated the same way this one has, jumping from animals and causing death until it mutated itself down into the cold.
Amazing how the most so-called pro-science people on this thread post the most anti-science garbage.

#27619 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Not horse crap.
More proof that words are just invented.

If everyone misunderstands you, rather than get angry at them, have you tried reflecting on your own messaging and choice of words to try and do better?

#27624 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

When I specifically talk about omicron. And the response I get is that I'm ignoring delta...maybe it isn't me, but rather the people who can't deviate from their own narrative.
Remember, I was told that the NYC marathon would be a super spreader event...looks like not one person got sick from it.

Speaking about people not deviating from their own narrative, you've posted about marathons 24 times in this thread.

#27674 2 years ago
Quoted from Friengineer:

What strange comments. That's exactly what we need is to make personal health closer to religion instead of continuing to make terrible health decisions and then relying on the healthcare system to bail us out with pills, shots, and other bullshit.
Did you know the survivability rate of most stage 2 cancers is really bad? So I'd say instead of drinking soda all day, eating bread, and being a fat ass, try being healthy, try running a marathon, try sleeping well.
When are my NY peeps eligible for their second booster?

I don't think the person you quoted is disagreeing with you, only that speaking in absolutes about a novel coronavirus may not be the wisest thing. Treating your body well certainly is a good second defense, the best not getting the virus in the first place.

#27698 2 years ago

Must be exhausting to be right 100% of the time.

#27711 2 years ago

Re: bad doctors - I likely had Covid early March of 2020. The whole experience was pretty illuminating.

I had a cough that just wouldn't go away. It was mild for about a week, but took a turn for the worst. I had chills, couldn't breathe well at night. It didn't register until I was unable to sleep, and passed out vomiting a couple times that I needed medical attention. Just the flu, right? I was young and healthy, and pretty ignorant on when to seek medical attention.

The day started with a visit to a walk-in clinic. The doctor there was incredibly considerate and professional - immediately handed me a mask. She gave me just about every test their clinic was equipped to, tested negative for the flu, high heart rate, low-blood oxygen level (90%) and told me I need to get to urgent care, stat. I walk everywhere, she expressed concern, saying usually they have people with low oxygen levels driven in a ambulance, but I was stubborn and walked the mile to the hospital. Before I left, I asked if I should return to work, and she said "under no circumstances should you return to work with any of these symptoms" and wrote me a letter.

This turned into a 12-hour hospital visit. Urgent care also threw a bunch of tests at me, insisted I might have asthma (I don't), I didn't respond to their nebulizer. Eventually I was told I have to go to the ER and don't have a choice (is this true? It was all very quick and I already felt like trash)

Police cleared the hallways, and escorted me to isolation. I sat there, alone, for a few hours without anyone really telling me what was going on. Got hooked up to IVs, all sorts of sensors. Eventually a doctor came in, said "we talked to the department of health, there's no reported COVID where you traveled so we don't think it's that and we're not going to test you for it" - like, come on, if you're not testing for it, how would you know if it's there or not? But after more inconclusive tests, hours on IVs, and more nebulizer treatments, my heart rate started to get better and they were ready to release me. I asked the main doctor if he thought I could go to work the next day, and his answer was "Well, as long as they don't have any policy about working with a cough, I don't see why not." and was also informed I have a "virus". Thanks doc. Great advice, advise me to go into work during a pandemic when I have symptoms of the virus that you didn't test me for. Somehow I got better advice from the person working at the CVS Minute Clinic than at our major hospital.

Nevermind the whole experience cost me $2000.

#27760 2 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Opening those bags without licking the tip of your finger is nearly impossible.

I'm trying hard to resist this derail - definitely have heard from some coworkers how uncomfortable the finger-lickers make them, especially in the pandemic. Pretty common at the check-out lane with people trying to separate their money.

It's a headscratcher for me, because I can't think of one time in my life where I felt compelled to lick my fingers to separate a bag or paper or whatever.

Quoted from nwpinball:

Costco is a nightmare, everyone just stops and blocks the aisles with their carts.

The worst!!

#27778 2 years ago
Quoted from Mjonesproperty:

Someone care to explain this? Starting to look more like “science” may have gotten ahead of itself again and is causing more issues than helping.
[quoted image]

If it's as mild as reported, maybe it's a data bias thing? IE people more concerned about covid and vaccinated are more likely to get tested? Who knows?

1 week later
#27977 2 years ago
Quoted from BrianJ1337:

Last I checked. NY has a mask mandate and the city has a vaccine passport. And NYC is at an all-time high.
So as I’ve always said. Outside of N95, the masks don’t work.

Yeah, I really wish we could get everyone to wear n95s.

I haven't been going out too much this past month, playing it safe. Wanted to see the new Spider-man and figured it might be ok with my n95 and catching a matinee. Maybe 10 others in the theater, and 2 people unmasked were coughing the entire movie. Why are people like this?

#28171 2 years ago
Quoted from BrianJ1337:

Also how many people you know that actually wear an N95? I never see them (I wasn’t even allowed on the plane with mine!) not to mention most available are the respirator style which only filters on the intake not the breath out so again you’re not saving anyone aside from yourself even if you do wear one. Though Razer has a pretty cool one that filters both in and out now which is neat.

Did your n95 have an exhaust valve?

I get the rationale of companies against the valve, but it's bad logic. The n95s with valves leak about as much air as a cloth or fake surgical mask, and if the n95 prevents you from catching covid, you're not going to pass it on.

#28190 2 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

This is wrong. A valve doesn't protect anyone else, it defeats half the purpose of wearing a mask. My partner with cystic fibrosis rages every time she see's someone with these masks and how they don't understand the science and data and to the rest of us are essentially unmasked.

It doesn't defeat the purpose of a mask if it prevents you from getting sick, after all, someone who isn't sick isn't going to pass on the illness. And cloth masks are incredibly leaky, so I'm not sure what you're suggesting is wrong with my statement. The CDC and NIOSH disagrees with you and your partner. Personally I'd rather be in a room with people with valved n95s than with cloth masks. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/respirator-use-faq.html

"Yes, an N95 filtering facepiece respirator will protect you and provide source control to protect others. A NIOSH-approved N95 filtering facepiece respirator with an exhalation valve offers the same protection to the wearer as one that does not have a valve. As source control, findings from NIOSH research suggest that, even without covering the valve, N95 respirators with exhalation valves provide the same or better source control than surgical masks, procedure masks, cloth masks, or fabric coverings. In general, individuals wearing NIOSH-approved N95s with an exhalation valve should not be asked to use one without an exhalation valve or to cover it with a face covering or mask. However, NIOSH-approved N95 respirators with an exhalation valve are not fluid resistant. Therefore, in situations where a fluid resistant respirator is indicated (e.g., in surgical settings), individuals should wear a surgical N95 or, if a surgical N95 is not available, cover their respirator with a surgical mask or a face shield. Be careful not to compromise the fit of the respirator when placing a facemask over the respirator."

#28192 2 years ago

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2021/10/commentary-what-can-masks-do-part-1-science-behind-covid-19-protection

A good chart to help folks understand mask efficacy - if you're concerned about catching or spreading COVID, consider upgrading your masks to n95s. If one person has covid and and all parties are wearing only cloth masks, it would only take 26 minutes of shared air to infect the other person. If all people are wearing n95s, the time it would take to infect increases exponentially.

Please note, this study was done in earlier covid waves.

mask_table_1-final covid mask (resized).jpgmask_table_1-final covid mask (resized).jpg
#28214 2 years ago

Let me try to help explain.
Unless you wear a mask 24/7 you can’t be certain that you aren’t infected and even if you did there are other methods of infection besides breathing in particles. Family members, neighbors or the postal worker could leave COVID particles around your house. Bottom line is that wearing an N-95 in public does not guarantee you aren’t infected and spreading particles.
Having said that, a valved N-95 does not stop your exhalation at all. If you are infected then any particles you exhale will go out the valve and thus the valved mask is ineffective.
Again, masks aren’t really to prevent you from being infected although N-95s do work better in that regard vs paper masks. The primary function of masking is to catch the respiratory particles from an infected individual and reduce the chances of that person spreading COVID to others.
Hope that helps some.

My point is that COVID 19 is spread by aerosol, and studies have shown both the valved n95s and the cloth masks leak just as much air. If you have a study that shows otherwise, please share. Otherwise at this point, it seems to be mostly corporate policy and "I heard" statements.

Regardless, I'm wearing n95s without valves but honestly I have the same disdain for cloth masks as those some folks are showing over valved n95s. If everyone wore valved n95s or better, this pandemic would be over. Not true with cloth masks. A room full of 100 people wearing valved n95s are unlikely to transmit covid to each other. Can't say the same for a room of 100 cloth-masked individuals.

#28215 2 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

You never mentioned NIOSH-approved filtering, if that's what you originally meant, then I agree with you. A heavy duty filtering mask is great. What it sounded like is you were advocating for a mask with a straight up exhaust valve that only protects the wearer but does nothing for the people around them. Early on in the pandemic people were wearing those alot and that's what people were critical of and your quote points out they should have the respirator covered with a surgical mask to be effective with airborne viruses. I wear N95s at work and for travel, the only thing I wear a larger respirator and filter for is clear coating playfields.

I believe you misunderstood - an n95 mask, by definition, is NIOSH approved. My original post only mentioned n95s. I'm also against any non-n95/non-niosh approved mask with exhalation valves - the cloth and random masks out there are already leaky enough. Also the CDC quote specifically says people should not be asked to cover up the valve unless in a medical environment (IE surgery) - "In general, individuals wearing NIOSH-approved N95s with an exhalation valve should not be asked to use one without an exhalation valve or to cover it with a face covering or mask. " - putting a surgical mask over a valved n95 could break the seal against your face, defeating the purpose of the extra protection.

#28241 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

What studies? You might as well say, "everybody has been talking", or "they said".
I studies I have read (CDC) say otherwise.

I linked to and quoted the CDC's website earlier. Here it is again, with the most relevant part. The whole page is worth a read though.
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/respirator-use-faq.html
"N95 respirators with exhalation valves provide the same or better source control than surgical masks, procedure masks, cloth masks, or fabric coverings."

Please share a reputable source if you have one to dispute it. Yes, ideally you should have an N95 without a exhalation valve, but we'd all be in a better spot if we were using n95s, valve or no valve. Do you have a good source to dispute this? And for the record, I'm wearing N95s without a valve.

Quoted from 7oxford:

The studies this table is based on is pre delta and omicron. Omicron is so contagious, 3 layer cloth masks are practically useless. Would like to see new data for other mask types.

I would too and agree 100%. That's why I'm advocating for n95s. They can be purchased at most Home Depots here in the states, or from industrial supply sites. Thankfully they're not in short supply any more.

#28242 2 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

I'm in day 5 snice my symptoms first began and my Covid has escalated. My doctor was concerned enough that yesterday he arranged for me to go to the hospital for Monoclonal Antibody Therapy. I drove myself.

I'm hoping for the best for you, and sorry you're going through this. I appreciate you sharing your experience.

Quoted from JimB:

Agree. I’ve yet to see coughing people around me even wear a mask. I just don’t get why people actively coughing can’t put a mask on.

It's awful. I probably mentioned it earlier, but went to my first movie in a while. Two people, unmasked, coughed throughout. Just stay home if you're sick.

#28250 2 years ago
Quoted from JoeJet:

You have got to be kidding. LOL

Go on.

#28285 2 years ago
Quoted from BrianJ1337:

Sadly we have to cancel our NYE plans and the kids will miss the first few days start back to school but it is what it is.
If you’re sick STAY HOME. It’s not hard.

100% We may have our difference of opinions, but I'm glad we can agree with this. All the best to you and your wife, I hope for good outcomes for the both of you.

#28295 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Whats not to get?
Do we have vaccines readily available for everyone? Yes or no?
If the answer is yes, time to go back to living life. That's why we have the vaccine. So we can live a normal life. Oh I get it, you want to protect the people who don't want you protecting them. How noble of you to want to control them.
I don't need idiots telling me I need protection from the unvaccinated. My Moderna Vaccine gives me protection from the unvaccinated. Honestly, why is so that incredibly difficult for so many people on here to understand that?
But I get it, I'm always wrong because I look at things like data and facts. Such an inconvenience to look at things like that.

Quoted from Trekkie1978:

According to the FDA…masks don’t work.
https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/personal-protective-equipment-infection-control/n95-respirators-surgical-masks-face-masks-and-barrier-face-coverings
Tell me about the fall wave of 2020, where most of the country was still shut down and pretty much masking up. How did that wave happen exactly? (Hint: click the link).
Couldn’t get sick at concerts. Couldn’t get sick at races. Couldn’t get sick at sports events. Couldn’t get sick at schools. Couldn’t get sick at offices. Couldn’t get sick traveling (no one was traveling, hence the extremely dirt cheap airfare). Couldn’t get sick at movies (Regal was closed).
Country was masked and socially distancing….the wave was the worst one we’ve seen.
But we were distanced and wearing masks….and the virus still exploded.
Look at the recent delta variant wave. We have a variant that is extremely easy to spread. Masks and social distancing, for the most part, are a thing of the past, except for a few places. Yet, we didn’t reach the same numbers as late fall. Why is that?
Answer: immunity.
How do viruses burn themselves out? Through masks/distancing or immunity?
Answer: immunity.
If anyone tells you otherwise, they are lying to you.
But I forgot…I just troll and ignore science.

Just thought this one deserved a follow-up. Let's not declare victory until we're victorious.

CKZLQlV (1) (resized).pngCKZLQlV (1) (resized).png
#28335 2 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

Tokyo stats from yesterday:
# of people hospitalized with severe COVID: 1
# of COVID deaths: 0
# of Tokyo elderly who died choking on mochi: 2
# of new COVID cases in Tokyo: 84
# of new COVID cases among U.S. Forces in Okinawa: 235

Taiwan is a good one to look at too. Amazing what a difference in cultural attitudes make during a pandemic. Pretty good for a country with a population of over 23 million.

taiwan covid (resized).jpgtaiwan covid (resized).jpg
#28352 2 years ago

For all you folks feeling better after a couple days, please continue to monitor your symptoms. It's not uncommon to feel slightly better, then get hit hard days later.

#28394 2 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

PS: When the heck did this thread turn into the Ivermectin positivity thread. It seems we have rounded the bend and may as well start testing cat litter against Covid. Cat litter has lots of beneficial properties and uses, so it must also work for Covid, right?

Howabout some milk protein and benadryl?
https://m.ufhealth.org/news/2021/two-common-compounds-show-effectiveness-against-covid-19-virus-early-testing

It's fun following along with this. Maybe one of them will be useful!

#28403 2 years ago
Quoted from PinPatch:

Show me the long term studies on mRNA vaccines?
Something greater than three years.
Also how can one evaluate Pfizer when the placebo control group no longer exists?

We can go round and round on this. Show me the long-term studies of long Covid.

A good chunk of our country is the control group.

#28421 2 years ago

If the vaccines are causing the mutations why are the variants not coming from the most highly vaccinated countries? We should be seeing an explosion of variants in the highly vaccinated countries like the US, Great Britain, France, Germany, etc. We aren’t. I’ll wait for your answer.

There could be better tracking of variants in those countries. Just throwing that out there as a possibility as why we don't see those first reported in highly-vaccinated countries.

Edit - for clarity, I'm pro vaccine.

#28426 2 years ago

You’re suggesting there is better tracking of variants in India, Brazil, Colombia, Peru and South Africa than in the US and Europe? Just clarifying if that’s your position. The medical infrastructure in the US and Europe is vastly superior to those other countries so I would think variant tracking and testing would be BETTER in the US and Europe, not worse.

I'm suggesting when one is trying to make a point, to consider all the variables rather than reach a single conclusion - IE you insinuating that it's just the lack of vaccines in non-Western countries. You might be right, and there's no argument here that it should be a priority of all nations to ensure COVID doesn't get out of control in the world. But there's also a large enough pool of unvaccinated folks in western nations as well.

We know South Africa was the first to report Omicron. We don't know that it originated there. It may have. It may not have. I'm not a watchdog for organizations doing genome sequencing, so I can't comment on who has the better systems, political will, and media to report it. Omicron was found in samples in the Netherlands that predate South Africa reporting it.

#28444 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

I’m down at Disney World.
Zero social distancing. Masks optional outside.
Just curious, how many of you will never visit again due to Disney not being strict with the virus?
You should’ve seen the expo this morning. Shoulder to shoulder.

Why are you like this? Dude just go have fun. Or don't?

#28445 2 years ago

I'm open to discussing other alternatives but I think if you are going to suggest that countries with minimal medical capabilities somehow have better viral tracing than countries with vastly better medical capabilities then I'm going to ask for some evidence of your assertion. You can't just shrug your shoulders and say "we don't know" and think that is a valid counterargument.

You asked if someone could account for why the variants originated there, I posited an explanation - I'm not terribly attached or invested in this as an argument, nor suggesting you're wrong - I'm not a person of faith and will admit ignorance where I have it. That's a conversation, I'm not trying to win here.

Though I do think it can be fallacious to equate poor medical access to the average person to lack of expertise in the country. India has some of the best medical facilities around, though I'm not going to pretend that level of care is offered to most people in India. I don't know enough about South Africa's culture, income disparity, or medical facilities to know if it's similar there.

#28446 2 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

1/4 of our staff are out at work today either with Covid or because they were exposed to it and are getting tested. This is only going to get worse over the next couple weeks. I'm hiding in my office.

Got to have some fun conversations at work today about having some plans in place if/when we have major disruptions to our food supply - we all see the massive call offs, stories of Wal*Marts (60 of them in the past month!) temporarily closing, etc but I haven't heard a peep from anyone else at my company on preparing for some bad scenarios. I'm hoping for the best, but trying to line things up so we can scrap by if our primary grocery distributor has no drivers/can't deliver to us for a few days/whatever.

I'm not suggesting anyone hoard, but I don't think it would be the worst idea to have stock and maintain a couple week's extra supply of food/toiletries/pet food right now.

#28449 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

You have been away for awhile. I put myself in danger by going somewhere I should not have gone.

I missed it, where do you think you picked up Covid?

#28461 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

That is because I have not revealed my dark secret. I should have known better. in fact, I did know better. But the temptation(s) was/were too much.
Tron, POTC, LOR, Spiderman, Mustang, Sharky's Shootout, WPT, WCS, Riverboat Casino, Rock, Baywatch, Laser Cue, Nine Ball, CSI, TMNT, Willy Wonka, Ironman, and Godzilla.
I was invited to a pinball party. No masks. Those old school Catholic nuns would be slapping the backs of my hands with their rulers for what I did.
Hindsite being 20-20, I made the wrong choice. But the temptation was too great. One killer ball on Ironman made the risk feel worthwhile, and then the chickens came home to roost, in a manner of speaking.

Hey, sorry you've had a rough go at it. Try not to beat your self up too hard over this, we've been bombarded with all sorts of contradicting messaging from the CDC and media over the past several months that it's been difficult to know what our actual risk is.

And damn, a nice game on Iron Man sounds fun right about now!

#28471 2 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

I've found the messaging to be crystal clear and easy to understand. I suspect that is because I watched Covid kill a couple of people that were very dear to me. That is why I refer to it as a deadly disease. In that light, none of it sounds contradictory at all. Information changes, recommendations change. But overall the message has always been "You don't want Covid, so do what you can to avoid catching or spreading it". I don't live in my basement because of it, but I do weigh that into decisions of what I do.

Just my list of bad advice from the CDC:

- Not pushing the conversation that this is airborne, instead focusing on droplets and people adopting the messaging that 6-feet distance from others is enough
- changing guidelines to "3-feet" instead of "6-feet", not because 6-feet is safe, but 3-feet is marginally less safe and is easier for businesses
- Advising vaccinated to stop wearing masks, despite vaccinated still being capable of spreading Covid
- Waffling on boosting advice as recently as September, rather than encourage everyone to get boosted, push the "assess your personal risk" line - https://www.cbsnews.com/news/transcript-cdc-director-rochelle-walensky-face-the-nation-09-26-2021/
- Pushing the line that air travel is safe because of the air filtering/fresh air intake during flight (while conveniently ignoring the 30 minutes before the flight and after landing that everyone sits on the tarmac breathing in recirculated, stale air)
- Advising people NOT to wear good PPE/n95s because "they're uncomfortable" or "people may not wear it correctly" rather than trying to educate people https://abc11.com/n95-mask-cdc-recommendation-dr-rochelle-walensky-what-type-of-is-the-best/10092451/
- The messaging that gatherings are safe for vaccinated people, especially when a good chunk of our vaccinated folks weren't boosted and demonstrably had waning immunity from their initial vaccination https://www.boston.com/news/coronavirus/2021/11/21/anthony-fauci-thanksgiving-gatherings/
-Limiting quarantine time from 10-days to 5-days at the request of Delta airlines/private businesses, without including a negative COVID test. https://www.npr.org/2021/12/29/1068731487/delta-ceo-asks-cdc-to-cut-quarantine

Look, I've arrived at the same conclusion as you - be vaccinated, limit exposure, wear good masks, but I can understand how people have dropped their guard. Very few folks have seen me in-person, indoors, unmasked these past two years. I'm that weirdo, I guess.

#28487 2 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

Yeah, the CDC hasn't always got it right, they've aired on the side of trying to keep things open and running cautiously instead of really landing on the side of caution. But their recommendations, when compared to someone like Joe Rogan's, at least look sane.

No argument here!

#28586 2 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

... and the almost comical irony, how they don't even twigg on how the label really applies to them.

Ah, the Pee Wee Herman defense. Classic!

i know your are (resized).jpgi know your are (resized).jpg
#28598 2 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

Not sure if anyone has mentioned Project N95. Non-profit that sells high quality, counterfeit checked masks at good prices.
If you have been on Amazon looking for N95, KN95 or whatever it can be confusing to figure out if the masks you buy are what they say they are.
https://shop.projectn95.org/masks

I've been watching this guy's channel for mask reviews - a lot of the kn95s and general PPE on Amazon is counterfeit. Beyond that, it's good to hear someone's opinion on fit AND smell of the masks.

https://www.youtube.com/c/ArmbrustUSA

#28691 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Cases are dropping with no new restrictions.

They also rose without new restrictions.

Quoted from Oaken:

Hospitalization rates in Alberta Canada:
Boosted 80+ yr olds have a lower rate than unvaccinated 12-29 yr olds.
[quoted image]

Apologies if I'm misreading, but doesn't that say the opposite? Boosted 80+ year olds are hospitalized at a higher rate of 43.27 per 100,000 vs the 12-29 year olds unvaccinated at 37.54? Not a huge difference though, and doesn't speak well for younger folks' natural immunity.

#28705 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

And it went up in places with new restrictions….so what exactly is the point?
Maybe omicron is just highly transmissible and can evade the vaccine.

New Jersey has a population under 9 million, and has close to the same amount of cases as the entirety of Japan, a country of 125 million. The point is good health policy and a willing population helps. We don't have that.

#28717 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

It’s 2 completely different cultures…..
Geez.

I think that's my point?

#28736 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

It came across that Japan is better than the USA.
Which I don’t agree with at all.

In their COVID response, if the goal is to reduce harm to their population, they absolutely are. I'm guessing they have less folks going on about "No restrictions! No masks!" than us at the very least. If your point is restrictions are pointless, you're right if no-one follows them. If people do follow them, they're useful.

#28780 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I do have a Judas Priest concert to go to at the End of March, and I won't be missing that as long as it happens. Maybe we'll have a shiny new variant by then!

I went to one last show last Tuesday. It's hard to gauge risk - if doctors can work with COVID patients with n95s, it should be good enough for a show I'd hope.

Either way, the band announced one band member and crew had COVID 2 days later. Can't imagine any show is safe for the band these days.

#28786 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

" Tearful Adele announces postponement of Las Vegas residency due to Covid among crew and 'delays'
https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/20/entertainment/adele-las-vegas-residency-cancel/index.html
"Singer Adele has announced the postponement of her Las Vegas residency, one day before it was set to kick off, saying Covid has rendered it impossible to move forward.
" In a tearful video posted to Instagram, an apologetic Adele said her team "tried absolutely everything we can to put it together in time and for it to be good enough for you, but we've been absolutely destroyed by delivery delays and Covid."

The show I was at required vaccinations and masks, but the whole mask thing falls apart when they serve food or drinks and all the cool kids think if they bought a drink, they don't need to mask the entire show. Meanwhile, the band isn't masked, what do they expect is going to happen when in a club packed with people?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider roffels.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread?tu=roffels and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.