272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 Important warning Posted by Daditude (4 years ago)

Post #6 Coronavirus website with up-to-the-moment stats Posted by Daditude (4 years ago)

Post #172 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #193 Name of disease and of the virus Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #209 Explains why you need social distancing Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #239 Comment on seasonality Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #251 Avoid ibuprofen Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #370 Info on chloroquine Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #530 News from Italy Posted by Pedretti_Gaming (4 years ago)

Post #693 Important info and advice Posted by ForceFlow (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinjim.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#28 4 years ago
Quoted from Brtlkat:

Wow lock every thread about the subject but yours.

I have to agree, what was the point of locking the other threads? I was enjoying some of them. I get that this is a pinball forum....are you going to lock all other non-pinball threads?

#787 4 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

Hey, what would Kentucky, Missouri, Mississippi, etc do without NY, CA, NJ, etc. funding there lifestyle?

I’m not even sure what you are trying to say. Whatever you are trying to say, perhaps you should use proper grammar before attempting to insult people?

#793 4 years ago

This shit stresses me out.

C6481A88-0429-4D0A-90C3-D2069B455338 (resized).jpegC6481A88-0429-4D0A-90C3-D2069B455338 (resized).jpeg
#803 4 years ago

(edited)

#917 4 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

My bad. I meant to say Their not there.
Their, is that better, are you happy now?
As for what I am trying to say, I said it pretty clearly. States like NY, NJ, CA, and a few others give more to the federal government than they get back from the federal government (the givers). States like Kentucky(#1 of all the states btw) take more from the federal government than they send to the federal government (the takers). So essentially, my state and my taxes help fund your state and the services your state provides to you and your fellow Kentuckians.
Your welcome.

Yeah, that’s better. I guess your state is helping fund a better education system in my state. Thanks! Maybe we can send your state some tents for the mass population of homeless people?

And for what it’s worth, I pay more than my fair share in taxes.

#937 4 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

I noticed this too. KFC tastes almost synthetic. Can’t put my finger on it. Go with Church’s or Popeyes.

KFC is garbage. Note that China has more KFC locations than the US. There’s a “Claudia Sanders” restaurant in Louisville...it’s good. KFC is more like deformed chicken garbage. Yuck. But honestly, most fast food is absolute garbage. We don’t eat it. Haven’t for years...

#1085 4 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

And if you have type 1 diabetes, asthma, etc. you are kinda fucked too and that has nothing to do with life style choice. And no, “certainly okay” is not how I would classify it.

Type 1 diabetes surprises me a bit. I would think type 2 would be an equal or higher risk, since a lot of that group is also obese. My wife is type 1 and honestly, she’ll handle it better than me (or that’s my prediction anyhow). Historically illnesses hit me much harder. But to be fair, I’m 10 years older than her and smoked until 3 weeks ago. The virus scared me into cold turkey.

I’m sure we’ll get it at some point so I’ll post the results. Both of us should survive given our age and overall health (my wife is obsessed with exercise).

Off topic, but my wife can maintain damn near normal blood sugars, even with a non-functional pancreas. We’ve been on a virtually zero carb diet for 6 months. It’s absolutely amazing what it has done for her blood sugars, A1C is 5.5 (non-diabetic range).

#1088 4 years ago

Is there any way on pinside to see the rate of successful pinball sales? I would think it has to be down. Glad I sold a machine a while back. Not buying anymore anytime soon. We were quadrupling our mortgage payment. Stopped that too...

#1094 4 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

Autoimmune disorders are especially susceptible.
Dang, best I do is a1c 6.0. If I try to go lower, I have too many lows. Usually 6.5 is where I can sit with minimal events.

We get virtually zero lows on a severely carb restricted diet. She dialed in her basal rates and usually hovers around 100, maybe spikes to 140 after a meal. Protein converts to glucose, just slowly. She has to bolus for protein. But overall, it’s an amazing approach to a autoimmune disease that’s very difficult to manage. Dr Bernstein wrote the Bible on the approach.

#1095 4 years ago
Quoted from BobSacamano:

Taking bets on whether or not Japan will host the Olympics this year.
Will basketball finish the season? Will Baseball even start their season? Football!?
Man, sportscards are going to be weird, if sportscards are even still around.
Recession? More like Depression???

No way on the olympics. Depression is a real possibility...

#1221 4 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Some fun for Seniors during Lockdown.....Just think, one day it will be us!
Hungry Hungry Hippos

That’s funny! My mom has late stage Alzheimer’s. A few moths ago I was visiting her and the staff had set up an inflatable goal post. The residents were taking turns trying to throw a foam ball through it. Great place, I’m so glad my mom is somewhere like that. Of course, should the virus find its way into there, it’s game over for many of them.

#1222 4 years ago
Quoted from Coindork:

Not me. If I live that long I’m taking my pins to the retirement home with me.

I’ve often joked that I’ll be buried in my TZ. I’ve owned it for well over 20 years and it’s still my go to game. Didn’t see much arcade time.

#1237 4 years ago
Quoted from Sinistarrett:

Spring break in full swing here, local govt closed all public beaches a couple days ago so now the spring breakers are gathered up in their rooms and the condo parking lots.
No word on “officially” cancelling spring break so I guess they are going to keep coming.
I understand the economic impact of cancelling alltogether but damn. Theres tourists everywhere.

That’s disturbing and wholly irresponsible of the partakers and govt officials.

We have a beach vacation scheduled in July. Hopefully things are back to normal by then.

#1276 4 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Moderators, can I get a voluntary permanent ejection from this thread? It is just a nasty and toxic thread that has brought out the worst in folks with politics, half truths, and sheer stupidity. I have drained it numerous times but always come back to see what is going on. This is not a great behavior, and I am cutting the cord. I would appreciate your help.
I wish everybody else well. Please, please, please keep your wits about you and practice common sense and respect for others. This is going to get worse before it gets better, and this is the time to try to help as opposed to tear down.

I got moderated for politics, but it seems to me this whole thread is highly political. Whatever, I’m enjoying it. And I don’t own this forum. I do however vote with my wallet, and will act accordingly.

#1351 4 years ago

I cleaned my guns and took inventory of my ammo this weekend. Guns locked and loaded. I sure as hell hope I don’t need them.

#1354 4 years ago

Mainly to protect my family. I assume your comment was laced with sarcasm.

#1360 4 years ago
Quoted from jhanley:

Who is coming after your family?

Go stick your head in the sand somewhere. Have you tried to find ammo lately? I’m not alone in my sentiments. And to be honest, your opinion is worth as much to me as used TP.

#1366 4 years ago
Quoted from jhanley:

I'm serious. What do you think is going to happen to you family.?

There are going to be a lot of people out of work. There is serious potential for people to loot, riot, etc. While I do not live in an area where I think that will occur - it’s not outside the realm of possibility. If people get desperate, crazy shit can happen. I’ll leave it at that.

#1374 4 years ago
Quoted from jhanley:

I understand what your saying. I just think there are more serious things happening right now with the virus shit.

Right, but right now I’m still employed. Others aren’t so lucky. As others said, if things go seriously south, gangs of robbers aren’t out of the question. I lived through the Cincinnati riots. This has potential to be worse. So yeah, the virus. But it’s what may come after that worries me. Messed up to even think about, but if it goes there, I’m prepared.

#1377 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

And I lived through the LA riots. What a show they put on.

I can’t even imagine. God help us if it comes to that.

#1396 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

It was about how he worded it. It sounded like panic. The 'let em try to come and get me' mentality. We don't need that at this point.

Call it panic if you want. I think it’s a matter of preparing for the worst and hoping for the best. I sure as hell hope in a month everything is back to normal. I hope the market recovers, jobs are reinstated and the virus dies off. I think that’s a real potential. But, I’m not taking a chance. And no, we did not buy a year supply of TP. But I am worried, as are a lot of people. Hard to believe really, a month ago the wife and I were working on starting a business. That has been side burnered at the moment for various reasons all related to the virus...

#2522 4 years ago

The governor of KY announced that someone who went to a coronavirus party now has....the coronavirus.

Hang on for a wild ride for the next month...

#2625 4 years ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

KY's new governor is remarkably level headed. When it comes to TP, chicken, and other supplies he's been saying every day: "Buy for yourself, but only for a week. Don't buy for a month - there would have been enough but you're just taking what the next person needs. Our supply is safe, but just buy for you for a week."
If we still had that asshole Bevin, the rambling cheeto might actually look smart.

I’m with you on this one. Beshear has a very calming mannerism. Kinda a model for other leaders, at least in that regard. And he’s realistic on other key issues. Bevin....ugh. Glad he’s gone.

#2761 4 years ago

I'll be interested to learn the details of the stimulus package. I wonder if I'll see a dime of it. Probably not; I worked my ass off to get where I am, so I'm sure that means I'll be excluded from it. Irony is, I'd spend the damn money in the name of boosting the economy. Uncle Sam likes me, always has....

And that Mexico video is frightening. With that attitude, they will be worse than Italy. Keep the border closed...

#2766 4 years ago
Quoted from RWH:

If you make more than 75K a year you won't but we will need to see it as I'm sure there are extenuated circumstances where some will qualify even if in the upper income level.

I assume that'll double for a household? I make more than $75k per year. We are a single income household with two young children. I pay through the nose on taxes. So in short, I pay more than my fair share, but probably will get "phased out". I wonder if Robinhood helped author this thing? I'm not bitter; the whole thing sucks, really. Let's add some more to our national deficit...

#2786 4 years ago
Quoted from RWH:

Really???????? I can't fathom your thoughts, did you find that funny?????

I feel bad for the kids family. In private, I would make a joke about it. Publicly, maybe not, depends on my audience.

Maybe I just have a twisted sense of humor. Hell, I make jokes about my own family getting it. For instance, my mom has advanced dementia. I wish they'd give her a coronapop. See, funny. Not that I want my mom to die some horrible death - hell, she's my mom and all I want is the best for her (which honestly would be for her to pass so she doesn't suffer any more than she has - what an awful disease). But I try to keep a sense of humor about things.

I'm sure Levi doesn't find pleasure in the death of a 17 year old kid.

#2877 4 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

Oh, I have no issue with helping the poor or small businesses, but most of the aid package will go to corporations that either don't need it or sucked every penny of profit out for execs. Most of these would deserve to fail. In the end, I'll likely have to pony up 20% of my savings to these assholes via inflation.

No offense, but what's the basis of your statement?

So Outback should fail because of this?
Cedar Fair should fail?
Name your favorite hotel chain. They should fail?
Automakers should fold?

It could be an extensive list of companies. I think people assume that big companies are sitting on giant piles of cash. Many of them operate on razor thin margins. And what about all of their workers that will be unemployed - and nobody is hiring since a large percentage of companies folded?

I know it's not popular, but I understand why there is a push to re-open the economy. Say we don't re-open it. What did you accomplish? Saved lives? Ya think? The virus isn't going to magically disappear, no matter how long we socially distance. The only hope is wait for a cure or effective treatment. In the mean time, half the country is out of work. I'm all for trying to control it via distancing, but to remain shut down will have an immediate and long lasting impact.

I don't want to see a single person die. I have a lot of family members that most likely won't survive this. It sucks. I'm not sure that there's a good outcome, again, short of a vaccine or treatment within the next week (unlikely).

#2890 4 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Airlines took tax cut and used 96% for stock buybacks...maybe shoulda held a bit in reserves?

They didn't have a crystal ball. Imagine a 75% revenue loss. What company could survive that?

Quoted from Zablon:

Let's be realistic here. They operate on razor thin margins...except the people in charge. Those are more like anvil margins. Anyone else in the country is told to have a buffer. Where is their buffer? Over expansion(too fast), wasteful spending, and CEO pay. They have tax shelters normal people don't have, etc etc. While these things may not apply to every single large company, it does apply to many of them. They've abused the system, and in most cases, if any of 'us' did what many of these companies do we'd be in jail.

<Insert any business name here> would fail with a 75% revenue loss. And a lot of companies do re-invest their profits. It's growth.

Quoted from Tranquilize:

Multiple logical fallicies.. Where to begin. I never named a specific corporation, but let's start with Goldman Sachs? I'm talking the big guys who have stolen from the coffers in the past.
It's not unpopular to want to reopen the economy. Arguments like that make you look silly. I was obviously arguing for a package that does not favour corporations that DO NOT NEED aid.
I never mentioned people dying, and your insinuation that I support that again makes you look silly. Please read, or reread, or improve your reading comprehension if you want to argue.

Tranquilize yourself.

#2896 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I get that in the scenario we are in things are in an unknown area. The point is we don't need to hand them free money. We've already seen what they do and who they care about. It isn't the employees.
My thoughts are:
Any provisions need to be a loan with strict conditions. No stock buybacks, no CEO bonus/raises - maybe even drop in pay, until it's paid back.
Not one cent should go to a company that is not based in the US.
We cannot guarantee they won't have to cut employment, but we should have a guarantee that if they have health coverage they get to keep it (for a period of time - due to the current crisis)

I can buy into that. Hopefully those provisions made it into the package.

I worked for a company that slashed salaries by 10% during tough times. While we didn't like it, the alternative was much more frightening. And, they made it back up when things improved.

Scary, uncertain times...

#2968 4 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

Goes by 2019 tax returns. Did you both file jointly and together less than 150k gross?

My company relocated us last year. It shows up as income for 2019, to the tune of over $50k. Crap....

#3759 4 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Isn't going out for fast food a little like Russian roulette right now, even worse in weeks to come?

I agree. I’ve gotten sick in the past from that crap, I always assumed from someone not washing their hands. We don’t eat it anymore. I can imagine them coughing, rubbing their nose, etc. and then serving up some hot snot on your burger. No thanks.

#4108 4 years ago

Some big companies have shuttered operation, if just temporarily. But I see that as a trend. A company local to my area ceased production for a week due to some people being sick. No confirmation of it being the coronavirus, but they ceased operation out of an abundance of caution.

I see that as a trend, and most likely will effect Amazon and the delivery companies. My point being: us relying on delivery service for stuff will most likely not be a good short term strategy. A local Amazon center already closed for a day or two this week. I think facilities will close as soon as a person tests positive for it, and stay closed for a day or two. Maybe longer.

Crazy times we are living in.

#4122 4 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

A Positive one!

That’s flippin awesome!

#4174 4 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I actually donated to Pinside about an hour after I got a moderation notice. You can’t take it personally, just try to be better I guess.

I guess I have my sensitive panties on. I contributed in the past and was honest about a game sale on here. The moderation did not sit well with me given that so much of this thread is political and I found my comment to be benign. I figure someone takes offense, flags the post, and you get moderated. Whatever though, lot bigger fish to fry right now. Being moderated on here is very low on my list of worries.

#4404 4 years ago
Quoted from chad:

Heard about this this morning. Pretty sad..

My mother has late stage Alzheimer’s. She hasn’t recognized me for years. She doesn’t know herself, her family, etc. Hell, if my family had a choice, we’d have euthanized her already. Don’t prioritize her over someone that has potential for useful life. Of course, every situation is different, but that’s my situation.

If I were 80 and had it, and a 30 year old also had it - prioritize them over me.

#4426 4 years ago
Quoted from Gunnut40:

GM making ventilators so quickly is scary. They will have to bipass a lot of quality checks to roll these out this soon. I have a question for pinball_gizzard. If we had all the machines to keep people alive. Would we have enough properly trained people to use them correctly?

I had the same thought. How do they even do it? Converting a car factory to a ventilator factory with the snap of a finger? Seems impossible. Maybe I’m just not up to speed on how quickly you can convert a machine from making plastic part for a car to plastic parts for something else. Same applies to motors, electronics, etc. Not to mention setting up assembly lines. I guess they’d just forgo QA?

I’m not sure I buy it.

#4523 4 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

I feel like us non-Americans should have our own designated thread where we just look at the headlines from America and silently mouth "W T F" every hour.
Would save pinside like 50% of all moderation

Agreed, get your own thread and play your Canadian made pinball machines.

#4524 4 years ago

Caution, adult language in this one...

#4573 4 years ago

The bickering in this thread has seriously taken away from its intent.

I’ve been reading about the EMT and fire department personnel in NYC and how many of them are ending up sick. What happens when their numbers fall off? Same with hospital personnel. This has the potential to become a much bigger tragedy than what we are already seeing.

#4759 4 years ago

I officially know someone with the virus. Owner of the company I worked at for 20 years has in, in ICU and on a ventilator.

I figured it’d make its way around to someone I knew eventually, and I suspect it will get much more personal down the road.

#5337 4 years ago
Quoted from RWH:

Damn woke up to some bad news this morning. I live in Norwood Ohio a small city (3 sq.miles) within the city of Cincinnati actually. We had our 1st confirmed case last night and sadly it was a little boy with down syndrome, just broke my heart for him and his family. I just can't imagine what his parents must be feeling at this point. Some of these cases seriously at times have me questioning my beliefs, these kids have not lived life long as is and then this on top of all the problems everyday life has handed them. I just can't process it sometimes and I know it's going to get worse and that many are going to suffer all over the world, it just leaves you feeling helpless and useless at times. Be safe guys for you and yours and ours.

So sorry to hear this. Unfortunately, I know someone who is in a cinci hospital, ventilated. It sounds like they will make it. Crazy when it hits close to home...

#6012 4 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I’m thinking of bringing back the smoking kid as my avatar theme. To go with Odin’s smoking dog, who I hope will come back some day.
[quoted image]

Thanks for the pic. I am smoke free for one month now. Sure miss my cigars.

#6017 4 years ago

Does anyone find this math to be funny?

US population = 330 million people
Two percent of US population = 6.6 million people

So, if 2% of the US population dies, that’s 6.6M deaths. If 50% of the population get the virus, we are still at 3.3M deaths at a 2% death rate.

Why are they predicting 100K US deaths? Is it just me, or does that seem like a sugarcoated estimate? That’s roughly .03% of the US population. I must be missing something, or the govt is trying to control panic....

#6020 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I don't think anyone actually thinks 3-6 million will die if we don't overrun the system. The 100k number is estimates with current lockdowns. Hard to say if we'll hit that number or more at this point.

What are lockdowns doing their than slowing down the spread? I don’t see it stopping the spread, just slowing it down. I think the numbers are being grossly underestimated, just to control the panic. Until there is a vaccine or deterrent...

#6027 4 years ago
Quoted from noob-a-tron:

Only 570 infections per million people in the USA i have no idea how these figures are going on 2% death rate. So much misinformation on this thread time to shut it down i think.

You do realize this is contagious? The current infection rate is 570 per million. I wholly understand that distancing is slowing it down. But distancing won’t go on forever. We will go back to work and it will spread.

Misinformation? I don’t think so. Numbers don’t lie. And my 2% is an estimated kill rate. Maybe it’s half that, maybe it’s twice that. The jury is out on the kill rate.

I love math, and I’m failing to see their 100k number, short of a vaccine.

#6034 4 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

You slow down the spread so hospitals can handle the demand and have enough equipment to save lives.

I guess I can see that, but eventually I think we’ll just accept the consequence of returning to normal. A few weeks into this and people are stir crazy. A few more weeks and people will be onboard with returning to normal, knowing the price. And Uncle Sam understands that shutting down until June will have a lasting impact on the US as we know it.

I bet the US death toll we’ll exceeds 1 million.

#6040 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

They have to keep the optimism up.
If they told America today 50 million will die from this, then there would be utter panic and despair.
By increasing the numbers in gradual amounts, it helps people better cope.
Nobody knows when this virus will peter out. It took the one from 1918 three entire years.

Agreed. I guess I’m a realist, maybe a pessimist. I foresee our potential saving grace being summer. Hopefully the virus dies off like the flu, and maybe we can find some treatments over the summer.

But I still say 100k is bullshit and lies. Control the panic.

#6057 4 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

Not neccesarily. People will put on their N-95 mask and gloves like they put on their hat every morning.
Workplace guidelines specific to the job (Safe Operating Procedures) will be trained and practiced.
Safe distancing practices will continue. Deep cleaning will become prevalent. Many Businesses based on crowds
will go the way of the Dodo.
PPE is like a suit of armor going in to battle, it won't save everyone but it will save many, those who are diligent
in using it.
I noticed the first creaks from Titanic beginning to see the advantages of gloves and masks, I expect supplies to be available
to the Public in a couple of weeks.

No offense, but I don’t buy it.

First, what PPE? It’ll be months before it’s available to the general public, at best. And even when it is, I don’t see people wearing it to work, the store, etc.

Second, it’s not who we are. Humans are social animals. We will eventually accept that people will get sick so we can go to the mall, have parties, head to the amusement park, etc. I’m not very social, in fact, I’m an introvert. But even I want to get out. And it’s been a few weeks.

A lot of people will die. That’s my prediction. And eventually it’ll work it’s way through society, and we’ll gain resistance. Sucks being an animal. But we are, and it’s not a perfect world.

Anyone who says 100,000 dead is not being truthful. Sorry, not buying it. Million, millions. I’m sorry for those older people in our communities. I’ll do my part to distance and hope a solution comes forth....

#6059 4 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

I’m going to go out on a limb here, and guess the total will be closer to 100,000 than 1,000,000.

Well I guessing gambling isn’t approved here. If it was, I’d put $50 on > 1 million dead from coronavirus in the US before the end of 2021.

The math for less doesn’t make sense to me, short of a vaccine.

#6061 4 years ago
Quoted from belairjoe:

how will you collect if your one of the dead ones?..think this thing out..

Good point. Make it $1k. If I’m dead, call the debt collectors. If I live, I, coming for my money.

One of my team members told me his wife (a nurse) was offered $100/hr to head to NYC to help. Nothing to see here folks, it’s all under control. Only 100,000 will die, nothing to worry about. Right.

#6065 4 years ago

Look, my math may not be popular. I’m just saying this: I’m not buying the advertised numbers. It’s to control the masses. Do the math. It doesn’t add up. Gonna be a lot of dead people, mostly our older population. It sucks, my parents are old. My wife’s parents are old.

We aren’t shutting down past June 1st, and even that is a pipe dream. The lower class will riot and loot - they’ll be out of work and their kids need to eat. What would you do in their positions? Anyone want civil unrest? Keep the economy shut down.

People I’ll die. We’ll survive as a race. My kids I’ll make it. My parents will not. It may repeat and I’ll die. Better than the Spanish flu which killed young adults....

#6076 4 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

A few incorrect assumptions.
The most recent studies put the fatality rate at .66%, but it is likely going to end up less than that. It is not the 2% that was once believed.
Secondly, the entire population doesnt get infected. The current infection rate is around 10%.
Thirdly, once herd immunity is established, around 60% of the population, the virus R0 or rate of infection quickly drops below 1 and the virus dies as it's no longer spread.
There's a lot of confusion between case fatality rate, confirmed fatality rate and mortality rate and unfortunately media uses them interchangeably and they aren't the same.
This link towards the bottom does a good job of explaining it:
https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus

Data source for .66% kill rate? I haven’t seen anything with a kill rate that low.

You are saying 90% of the population won’t get it? Why? Immune? Distancing?

#6080 4 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

Infection rate is probability...its not a pure multiplier of a set population.

Sorry, what kind of answer is that?

If we need 60% infection rate to achieve herd immunity, how do you achieve that with a 10% infection rate?

Are you saying 90% of people are immune?

#6085 4 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

That was unnecessary....

Quoted from cait001:

population of USA: 327.2 million
fatality rate: .66 %
estimated population spread: 60%
Estimated fatalities: 1,295,712
Hopefully .66% is indeed the high-end.....

Exactly. Even an optimistic outlook is well in excess of 100k. We are being misled to control the masses.

#6093 4 years ago
Quoted from Extraballz:

What kind of weak human being can’t sit on his couch for a couple months to help save American lives. Past generations were asked to go off to war for years at a time. What an embarrassment......

Most people. Sorry, it’s the truth.

#6094 4 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

So you're expecting 32 million deaths worldwide?

I’ll run the math tomorrow.

#6139 4 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Chill out and follow the scientific predictions.

Like the rest of the sheep?

#6142 4 years ago
Quoted from PinJim:

I’ll run the math tomorrow.

Some numbers. I'm not bothering with the world population for the moment. You can see that if you believe the latest 0.66% kill rate prediction, we'd need a 4.59% infection rate to get to 100,000 deaths. Maybe that's how they came to their 100k number? Maybe they are basing things on the flu infection rates (which are 5% to 20% annually)? So they think the rate of infection will be less than the flu? Huh. Note that the initial estimates said that 70% percent of the population would get CV.

I think their 100k number is wishful thinking. A way to control the panic.

I know people will lean on social distancing as a way to keep the infection rates down. Again, it just slows it down. People will still get infected. And in a month from now, "the show must go on". Uncle Sam isn't going to let society collapse over this. And people aren't smart enough to "sit on their couches", as someone here suggested. Sorry, I don't give the general populous that much credit. Hell, even in my town, people are out in large gatherings that the cops have to break up. Mostly in the lower socioeconomic areas of town, where I think there is a general mis-trust of authority anyhow. Which coincidentally are the areas that most likely will be hardest hit by this, for a variety of factors...
CV.jpgCV.jpg

#6163 4 years ago
Quoted from wrb1977:

In my opinion, why the numbers don’t “add up” is that they do not account for those that are asymptomatic or have very mild symptoms. Those people are not accounted for in these calculations because they never see a doctor or get tested. The number of people that get the virus and are either asymptomatic or have very mild symptoms is very large. This can drastically reduce the mortality rate. I think this is where the discrepancy is.

Actually, the 0.66% death rate does account for those people.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/30/health/coronavirus-lower-death-rate/index.html

#6166 4 years ago
Quoted from wrb1977:

There is no way to accurately know the numbers of those that are asymptomatic or experience mild symptoms...they are unreported/unknown cases...they are just speculating as to what those numbers may be...there is no mathematical way to calculate the unknown.

Right, it's all estimates. It's impossible to predict the outcome with 100% accuracy, short of a time machine. And Data East sucks, so I don't have a time machine (I did once, sold it).

My charts show numerous scenarios. My point was, I think the govt numbers are very optimistic. I think a lot of their statements are simply made to control panic. But we shall find out....

#6243 4 years ago
Quoted from kirkgun:

I'm not wagering. This thing could go all kinds of sideways. It depends on how dense people are.
But the reason you are struggling with the math is that your model is far too simple. The death rate is not a constant in the real world. Therefore, it should not be in your equation either. There is no fate, 2% or otherwise.
The death rate in the real world is highly variable. And. We can make the death rate really fucking low, but only if we do this right.
Here's an better model than yours: In a single hospital, a single ICU staff (Docs, RNs, Techs, etc) could easily handle one Covid case (Patient A). They'd all bust their ass, but they'd keep Patient A alive long enough to make some sort of recovery. However, that same single ICU staff would not save patient A, in a situation where they had an additional 25 Covid patients at the same time. The outcome for patient A is highly variable, it is not a fixed percentage.
Everybody who gets Covid is Patient A. This is why we need to slow to spread... So Patient A can get a high-level of treatment (and we'll push that death rate way, way down below 2%).
Forget the "death rate" until post-pandemic study. We control the death rate, not the other way around. After it's all over, you'll see that some areas had very low death rates, and others very high, mostly dependent on how stupidly people reacted. The death rate was never a fixed percentage.
We can, and should, do far better than 2%. That's why your numbers don't align.
But I've been stunned how dense some people are in this mess. Your estimates could be wildly optimistic.

Maybe this is more realistic. Everything is speculation. Nobody can predict the future....

CV (resized).jpgCV (resized).jpg
#6480 4 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Maybe our lives are different, but Im angry.
It IS apparently OK, to be angry at China, the Media, The Governors, the WHO, the CDC, and post that anger.
My anger is the path and method. You are free to disagree.
Perhaps Why, for me.
Ive lost 10 people. I have a Grandaughter 1, and her dad is a doctor in Vanderbilt Hospital,
I worry for them, and hear news, I no longer share.
I have a Niece who gave birth this morning in Seattle. There is concern the baby may be infected.
I have sister in law, an ICU nurse, and found out she has cancer this morning.
My 83 year old Mom is coughing, and recovering from Shingles....I need to help her today.
I may need spine surgery, I cant have it though, because of the Spread.
If what I share is not True, please correct me with a different link....I am fine to be wrong
and admit it.
But critical thinking should not be suspended because the information is uncomfortable.

My comment was meant to mean, not that I am being political, but someone in the article is.
Ill go away now....apparently we only want different info....

Wow....sorry for all of the difficulties you are experiencing. Tough times, sounds like especially rough for you.

I'm not sure why politics are so restricted on pinside. In my humble opinion, this thread was much more active, and frankly more interesting, before the restrictions were put in place (or maybe better said, enforced). But it's hard to deny that your link was political. Sorry, not trying to be mean...I think politics add a lot of color to this thread in particular. It almost drove me away from pinside for CV reading...

#6497 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Anyone trying to convince themselves that politics wasn't at the heart of our and many other countries reactions to this whole event from the beginning is lying to themselves.

But yet, we aren't supposed to discuss them on a thread about coronavirus.

#6692 4 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

No. there's no evidence to support airborne transmission like that. Even a truly airborne disease like tuberculosis would have difficulty traveling from one house to another like the smell of cigarette smoke.
Now, there's plenty of reasons for people to not smoke or vape but spreading coronavirus isn't one of them.

How do you explain this?

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/story/2020-03-29/coronavirus-choir-outbreak

I’m 4 weeks and 1 day smoke free. Damn I miss cigars...

#6702 4 years ago

Just because they were all singing doesn't necessarily mean the virus was transmitted airborne. Respiratory droplets can be created when coughing or clearing the throat. In addition, singing itself is a very different activity vs talking. There is much more air being forced from the lungs so you could consider the possibility that a higher amount of virus was placed into the air. There are cases of physicians contracting coronavirus from intubating a patient or doing a bronchoscopy where large amounts of virus is put into the air. Similar situation.
Also a choir is in very close proximity to each other and likely are touching each other or common surfaces intermittently which is another possible mode of transmission.

I mean, we weren’t there. So who’s to really say how much direct contact they had with each other?

How much does a virus weigh, exactly? I think your argument is that cigarette smoke travels between distances that the virus cannot. Why? Does the virus weigh more and simply falls to the ground? Or the virus dies during travel? I’m meerily curious, as my simpleton mind thinks smoke transmission would also permit virus transmission.

#6704 4 years ago

I guess we could go down the rabbit hole of what ifs all night if we wanted to.
Would it be theoretically possible to transmit coronavirus by standing in front of an opera singer who had it? I guess, it's possible.
I will say the amount of smoke it takes in the air to allow your nose to pick up the smell is WAY less than the probable needed amount of virus to transmit a disease.
Let's not get crazy people.

I’m just trying to understand the hard facts. People recommend six feet distance. Based on what? Or maybe we just don’t know? That’s ok too, just trying to u defat and the facts.

#6797 4 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

Yesterday I did a spring cleanup in the yard, today is drinking beers and a massive bon fire, and fried chicken.

I have to wonder, how many people are truly out of work? I'm working from home. People at my old company got furloughed for 2 weeks. At my current company, we are moving at 100 mph since we serve the parcel industry (FedEx, UPS, Amazon).

Are you out of work? With or without pay? Temporary or permanent?

#6805 4 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

Wait....what? They are gonna double her work load and halve her pay? So work more for nearly the same amount of money? What kind of work does she do?

Could beat the alternative.

I get the feeling that some of my team members would prefer to be laid off or furloughed. Some seem to think the US should just shut down, like they are entitled to some sort of break due to this crap. Ugh, it's so short sighted. I'd take a pay cut over a work stoppage. At least I *think* my company would make it right when things improve.

#6811 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

I'd rather be home than have to come to work with a bunch of plague rats and potentially catch something that can kill me. Call me selfish/lazy, but I need to look out for myself. The CEO's that get to work from home right now certainly are not looking out for me.

To be clear, my teams are working from home. And I know that's tough for some of them. I have offered to help any way I can - better home setups. But, for the most part, the show must go on. I know that's hard for some. It's hard for me. I'm putting in more hours now than I have in a long time....

#7028 4 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

Safeway up here in the NW has 3 lb package of bacon for sale at $2.99/lb, if you are a safeway card club carrying member.
Buy and freeze it!

The local Kroger (Louisville, KY) had brisket and pork ribs on sale for $2/pound last week. I’m still kicking myself for not buying brisket. Our damn freezers are full. I did buy and make some ribs, yum yum...

3E6BAC94-3E22-4580-943F-5153D3E698E5 (resized).jpeg3E6BAC94-3E22-4580-943F-5153D3E698E5 (resized).jpegF0C3BEA6-6E9B-4965-9F79-05E0ABC52303 (resized).jpegF0C3BEA6-6E9B-4965-9F79-05E0ABC52303 (resized).jpegD57BCE88-24E6-4398-A9FF-C541A5BC4B3C (resized).jpegD57BCE88-24E6-4398-A9FF-C541A5BC4B3C (resized).jpeg
#7093 4 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

A steel braided propane hose. Nice!

My Smoke Vault is a damn nice smoker. My father in law gave me a masterbuilt and it doesn’t compare. I added the steel braided hose and a needle valve to the Smoke Fault. It’s an awesome smoker. I’ll probably sell the masterbuilt...

#7108 4 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

Most of you think this is excessive or justified? I don't see it any different than exercising by yourself which is not endangering anyone to the virus but I guess it gives other idiots the idea that beaches are open for parties or gatherings.
https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-04-03/paddle-boarder-arrested-in-malibu-after-flouting-coronavirus-closures

Justified. Sounds like the guy was ignoring their orders. And even besides that, letting him continue is a slippery slope. It’s like telling people they can go to parks, but need to distance. Clearly that didn’t work. People were letting their kids play on the playground toys.

#7134 4 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Oh, it's not the system's fault it's broken. It's the head of the system that has no f'ing clue what to do.

Isn’t that a political statement?

#7250 4 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Flattening the curve is also about:
- making enough ventilators available for those that need them
- making enough PPE available to healthcare workers
- shortening the window to vaccines or cures
- reducing overall deaths by at least 30-50%
- creating time to set reasonable public policy for “after”

All while our economy totally crashes.

I know this is pessimistic, but I think we are fucked. We won’t do a hard shutdown. And we won’t do a hard re-open. Instead, we’ll do some half assed stay at home BS while our economy takes a dump, and really we just drew out how long it took for people to get it. Sure, we may have saved some lives and kept the healthcare system from getting overwhelmed. We also destroyed millions of jobs, created looting and riots, and stayed locked up in our houses.

#7252 4 years ago

I just got back from grocery shopping. I tried to stock up for at least a week, nothing crazy. Still no TP or paper towels.

I’d say 50% of the people had some form of mask. I did not, and don’t intend to in the future. But I couldn’t help but wonder: will people get pissed at those who choose to go mask free? As if we are putting others at risk? I think the cloth masks really keep people from spreading their own germs more than keeping them from breathing them in?

#7258 4 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

<blockquote c

But that is the whole F'ing point of wearing the masks. A mask ISN'T to protect you...it's to protect others. You can not know for a fact that you are not carrying the virus, 80% of carriers have no symptoms!!

Well, people can get pissed. I’m not wearing a mask to go grocery shopping. Next thing you know, they’ll be taking body temp scans at the door.

I get that people are dying. It’s a shitty virus. But I think it’s starting to get blown out of proportion...

#7263 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Forcing people to put a mask on before they enter a grocery store -
As well as taking temp - these are not unreasonable requirements. It wouldn’t surprise me to see this.
Would make me feel much more at ease when I have to go shopping.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryan_White

Just saying.

#7274 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

"We have met the enemy and he is us".
Walt Kelly

Right. Just stay 6’ away from me. I won’t cough on you. Promise. I take strong precautions to not get the virus or pass it on. I’m low risk to others. So stay the f away from me, please.

I was doing a work function this week and a guy shook my hand. I was not ok with it, and immediately washed and sanitized. I’m not suggesting that we don’t take precautions, but I think maybe we are taking it to a new level of paranoia.

#7314 4 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:You're not telling us anything we don't already know.
Here's the real question, are you saying you are willing to sacrifice someone else's life to preserve your what, income? Ability to go to Lowe's?
Exactly what are you willing to sacrifice someone else's mom or grandmother for? How many people are you willing to sacrifice? 1? 10? 100? What's the line for to preserve your personal way of life? Is it too much to ask that you inconvenience yourself for 30 days to save someone's life? 60? How much inconvenience is it for you to just wear a mask in public?

Can you answer your own question? What’s you line? Would you sit at home, out of work, for 2 years to save a life? Or out of work for 1 day to save 1 million lives? I suspect I know the answer to both questions. But what’s the tipping point between the two?

I’ve accepted that people will die from this, and frankly, have to die so we can sustain “life as we know it”. My own father would die before accepting that he *might* live for 5 more years, only to devastate the lives of his children and grandchildren. I’m 43, and I feel the same. I’d sacrifice myself so my kids can have a better life.

I know that could be interpreted as “f your grandma, your parents, etc.”. I could interpret the opposite position as “f me and my kids”. Halting the economy for 2 months to save the lives of people who may live another few years is foolish. The end result is devastating to me financially, and thus will hurt my offspring too. It’s a shit sandwhich, I know. My parents are old. My in-laws are not in good health. It sucks. I will lose family members.

We go to war to fight for our beliefs systems, to sustain our way of life. In war we send kids in to do our “dirty work”. And yet we want to destroy our economy and way of life so we can maybe save our elderly and vulnerable? I know what I’m say is blunt. It may not be popular. But it’s what I see as reality.

And even if we distance and pause, there’s no stopping the virus. Short of a vaccine. We may slow it down and save some lives. And destroy a lot more in the process. Don’t let the cure be worse than the disease...

#7321 4 years ago

Yes, your position boils down to "f you and your family". Congratulations.
And my line is ZERO. I go to work every day to try and help patients. I go directly home every day after work. We go to the grocery store only when we have to. My kids haven't been outside of our front yard in 3 weeks. That's my line.

Look, I don’t like it. I’m absolutely, 100% doing what I can to stop it. I’m working from home and only leave to get food. I cancelled a camping trip with my father. We haven’t seen my inlaws for weeks.

But it can’t go on forever. We have to open up business. Eventually, the US as we know it will collapse if we don’t start bringing in tax revenue. Businesses will go under. We literally could be in a mad max society.

I’m not trying to disrespect you. I think there’s some middle ground. I just suspect that shutting down society is a short term solution. Six months of shut down will have serious, long term consequences. I don’t know how long we can remain shut down. I’m guessing nobody does...not even our leadership. It’s too complex of an equation.

#7324 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

The bulk of what these people are really trying to say is 2 things:
1. Money over people
2. Why should I be inconvenienced because of someone elses problem
Basically, the part of the American mentality that most of the world hates.
Learn some empathy, and learn that not everything revolves around what you want.

Sorry, but that’s a very short sighted view of the situation. Would you be ok with a complete collapse of the US? Government ceases to exist? Food is obtained via bartering? Medicine is gone. He who has the best weapons rules, and those who lack protection get shot and killed for their goods? I could go on. And it could be reality.

It’s a lot deeper than what’s in my 401k. It’s about providing stability for myself and my family.

#7331 4 years ago
Quoted from zpinman370:

if our leaders worldwide had have listened to the people who know and not had their collective heads up their ass or a head so big it can't fit thru the door we wouldn't be in near as bad a shape as we are now. They all had notice, but lacked the will to do what was needed until it was way too late. Now we ALL suffer the consequences

You’re damn right about that. I may get moderated for this statement, but it may effect how I vote this year. What a f’ing mess they created by turning a blind eye to the tragedy that was about to unfold before them. And it continues to this day. Look at South Carolina. They are “different”. Smh....

#7348 4 years ago
Quoted from dsmoke1986:

You aren’t understanding the point. Kiss our way of life goodbye if we stay closed until August.
It’s not feasible, we are talking global carnage on a grand scale that will dwarf whatever a worst case scenario is from these data modelers.
Our economy drives the world’s economy. You do get that right? Add in all other countries’ economies getting blunted at a similar rate and you have something economically that we have never seen before, EVER! That scenario would make the Great Depression look like a mild recession.

And that’s what scares the hell out of me. Mad max. Killing for the next meal. A complete collapse of society as we know it. Honestly, in context, I could give two shits about my own life. I’ve had my fun and frankly have gotten more than my fair share. It’s my kids that make it such a devastating thought. If I had to pick my parents living for another 5 years, or my kids having a prosperous life. It’s a no brainer.

#7349 4 years ago

Don’t be “that guy”. You’re better than that.

Like I said, my mind is malleable. Maybe after some thought I’ll change my mind. Just seems extreme right now.

I miss the days of being 16 with a cute girl in the passenger seat, driving along, smoking doobies, listening to music without a care in the world...

#7353 4 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Even if you open up the economy suddenly you still are faced with the fact that the virus will be in everyone's minds. People are not going to fly, cruise, go to movies, restaurants, sporting events, concerts, vegas, etc. as long as they are worried about getting the virus. Proven therapeutics, a vaccine, or herd immunity is what it is going to take to have life as usual barring the virus just disappearing somehow.

Point well taken. I’m guessing herd immunity would lead the three options, at a price. Sucks...

#7364 4 years ago

I enjoy the mental volley here. It’s great to hear other perspectives. I learned a long time ago: there are a lot of people in this world who are a lot smarter than me. In work, I hire them and listen to what they say. In my personal life, I listen. Let’s not take this personal. Lots of opinions out there. ...

#7376 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Well he is a Cowboys fan ya know.

Lol, you’re a bengals fan. I lived in Cincinnati for 20 years. Damn I loved Cincinnati, but that damn football team...

I will admit though, i miss Cincinnati. Best big town I’ve lived in.

#7377 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Well he is a Cowboys fan ya know.

Have you been to Pins Mechanical in Cincinnati? Been wanting to check it out. The Columbus one was excellent.

#7380 4 years ago

When you type this out, how many of the people you think read this think “it’s” going to “go on forever”?
My guess? Zero.
How many of the people preaching caution and safety and personal responsibility and sacrifice hope the economy goes to shit? My guess? Zero.
I’m just glad I’m more afraid of death than losing my standard of living. I think THAT’S genuine darwinism in action. Not whatever you and Icey are selling.

Right. How will you feel about it if we close the economy for 6 months, society collapses and a gang of thugs show up at your house with AK47s? I guess they beat you at the game of Darwinism?

#7387 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You are just saying this is like Ryan White?
I really don't follow.
"just saying" doesn't mean you can make zero sense and still expect to get your point across.

Ryan White had a disease that was not well understood, and society took an extreme view against him. Barring him from school. Complete paranoia, when the reality was, he wasn’t going to spread HIV via a sneeze of handshake.

I understand this is not HIV. It’s highly probable that COVID-19 is transmittable via many methods beyond sex. But, my point was, are we panicking when we expect people to wear masks when in public?

#7389 4 years ago
Quoted from jhanley:

How would you feel if the economy was opened back up and the virus runs rampant and someone in your family dies? Would you change your thoughts on this?

No, it would not change my mind. I’d accept that my parents both died and my kids could have a prosperous life. My parents are awesome; they have done immense things to help me. But like them, my focus is my offspring. I have zero doubt that my parents would agree with me.

#7393 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

LMAO
Yes he's right. This is all a big hoax, it's no worse than the flu, and we are all overreacting. Also, the stock market is rock solid and only morons are bailing out, and the smart thing to do is buy buy buy.
That's his bit from a month ago.
Now he's back, with the exact same act, with mild alterations, still saying it's overblown, still saying buy buy buy, still saying this will all be over in a month. The only real difference is now 100-200K dead from what he was calling a hoax a month ago is a tremendous accomplishment.
You can hope all you want. He is not right.

Well “buy buy buy” is right. Wish I had a wheelbarrow of money right now to throw into the market. Unfortunately, my money was in the market when it crashed.

#7398 4 years ago
Quoted from clg:

I think most people would feel pretty bad if that happened. If that is what you really think will happen it must be pretty stressfull for you and I hope you can come to grip with things in a way that helps you get through it.

It’s not stressful for me. I am well prepared.

#7401 4 years ago
Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

Would you accept one or both of your kids died?

Dies for what? For society to continue vs 200 years of collapse? Or die so a fuel truck could make it another 25 miles down the road? Not a simple answer to the question. But I’m not greedy and want the best for humankind. Even at great personal sacrifice.

#7406 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Your point makes no sense.
There is almost ZERO drawback to everybody wearing a face covering in public. I can't think of a significant one.
There IS however clear drawbacks to ruining a child's life, attacking his family, and running them out of town.
This may be the worst analogy ever. Just sayin'.

It’s over reactivation. I’m sorry that you can’t see the analogy.

#7417 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It's not an analogy. It's just a bunch of stuff you said.
Seriously. It makes no sense. I don't think you know what an analogy is.

Ok, you win.

#7442 4 years ago

I would expect the US Army and Marines and National Guard - and cops! - to mow down the Mad Max crew in short order. We’ll all be the better for it.
I have two Seal Team 6 members in my immediate family. I have the utmost confidence that our military can do the right thing in OUR country, just like they kick ass in freaking anarchic situations as a matter of course around the world ALL the time.
YMMV.

I have no doubt the US military is bad ass. But without a govt to support them...

#7448 4 years ago

Nah, more just a plan. I’m a controls engineer by trade. So I figure I could somewhat automate the protection of my property. That and a lot of ammo. And supporting people. I’m sure there are people who are better prepared...

#7453 4 years ago

This thread makes me want a good cigar. On day 30, smoke free. Dammit!

#7455 4 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

Will the automation be like a Home Alone thing? I hope you will have video!

Maybe slightly more sophisticated. I was thinking 12VDC photoeyes, powered by car batteries. You break the beam and get a surprise. Easy enough to implement...

#7464 4 years ago

Holy shit, thanks! Needed a good laugh!

#7493 4 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

It was actually anti-smoking propaganda.

Well it worked on me I guess. I read the China stats on smoking and COVID-19 and threw my cigars in the garbage. Never looked back...

#7636 4 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

It depends on the industry. If you work in a skilled nursing facility, yes. You can’t walk in the door without having your temperature taken. No honor system, someone takes it right there.

I work in an essential industry, the supply chain. We aren’t taking temps. Most of our people are working from home, but there are some office hold outs...

#7690 4 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

Estimates are out that over 50% of restaurants in my area (Dallas, TX) will close their doors permanently.

Ouch.

Suppose you own a restaurant. If you hard closed for a few months, what are you out beyond rent and utilities? Maybe some spoiled food, and you’d have to eat the cost of restocking once things come back online?

I guess you’d have to restaff too, since the laid off / furloughed employees most likely would have moved on.

Ok, maybe it is easier to understand why 50% would just fold.

#7702 4 years ago
Quoted from Sinistarrett:

I think a lot of people, possibly myself included, will have a bit of trouble with the idea of going back to crowded restaurants even when this is over. I havent even gotten take out since this started, cooking my own food at home only.

Yeah, understood. Might be a year or two before people get back to normal. Rough times for the restaurant industry.

#7716 4 years ago
Quoted from poppapin:

Not only restaurant, but movie, theatre, any venue with crowds in close proximity.

Unfortunately, I own a bunch of Cedar Fair stock. Guessing amusement parks will take a major hit.

#7779 4 years ago
Quoted from Honch:

https://swprs.org/a-swiss-doctor-on-covid-19/
Sometimes it's better to have an international perspective. The facts make this pandemic a lot less scary IMO.

Nice little read. Wonder why the media isn't focusing on those facts?

#7780 4 years ago
Quoted from chad:

I know they have been struggling for what seems an eternity , but could the bug finally break the USPS??
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/us-postal-service-could-shut-down-by-june-lawmakers-warn/ar-BB125w?lBBnbfcL

What am I missing here? How can the USPS being doing worse in a time when the amount of internet sales has to be going up?

#7783 4 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

With great credit. I’d argue most folks with great credit aren’t terribly interested in a 7 year car loan.

And I’ve been in business long enough to know that they’ll make their money elsewhere. I don’t see you getting a rock bottom price and 0% for 7 years. Honestly, I might take them up on it if I got both.

#7787 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Depends on where their money is. Get a loan with a low payment, use that money elsewhere making more money than you're paying on interest. I can tell you that as someone with great credit I have never once been able to get 0% interest for any amount of time.

That was my thought. Right now, I’d rather put my money in the market. Well, actually, I’m hoarding cash at the moment. But soon enough I’ll put it into the market....

#7896 4 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

Man the Queens speech this weekend made me very jealous that we don't have someone who could communicate like that here in the US.

I’m fairly certain there are a few examples in the US.

#8140 4 years ago

https://www.wdrb.com/news/kroger-to-limit-number-of-customers-in-stores-beginning-tuesday/article_c513cd5c-7843-11ea-95b5-d348cedb190a.html

Lovely. Now we won’t be able to get groceries without waiting in a line outside. Really? How about everyone just stays 6’ away from me. Better yet, 20’? I’m not a big fan of masks for everyone, but I’d succumb to the idea to squelch this idea. Now I won’t want to go to the grocery. What’s next?

I’m growing a garden and setting live traps....

#8152 4 years ago
Quoted from FYMF:

So funny. First video Ibhave ever sent to like 20 people in my life.
For everyone else, please enjoy the latest masterpiece by lock picking lawyer:

Well thanks for that, just watched it with my wife. Lol....

#8154 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

They need to put padlocks on these church doors, just like they did with bathhouses during the AIDS crisis.

Careful, I made an analogy between this and Ryan White, and was challenged by a few here..

#8155 4 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

The limits are in place so there's enough room to keep your desired 6' away from each other. If they let too many people in the store, it's harder to maintain safe distances. Believe it or not, there are smart people setting these policies...

Really? So we can stand in line, 3’ from each other while people with the snot nosed kids cough and sneeze around me? Right, make sense. Thanks for clarifying.

#8157 4 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

Pin Jim is still in my will for fifty

We have to get to 1M first. We’ll get there. Lol.

#8447 4 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Their line should have marks six feet apart and folks should follow them. The couple stores I've seen with lines are doing just that.

Is that safer than me walking around the store and keeping my own distance? I don’t think so.

This shit is gonna go south in a hurry. Total shutdown of the US or total open. Take your pick.

8 months later
#20959 3 years ago

I lost my mother to Covid this morning. She, like so many others, had other underlying health issues. She had advanced Alzheimer’s and kidney problems. She was 78.

I’m glad she’s no longer suffering. I saw her a few days ago (she lived 6 hours from me) and it was apparent that she was in a lot of pain. An awful thing to witness.

RIP mom.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinjim.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread?tu=pinjim and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.