272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 Important warning Posted by Daditude (4 years ago)

Post #6 Coronavirus website with up-to-the-moment stats Posted by Daditude (4 years ago)

Post #172 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #193 Name of disease and of the virus Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #209 Explains why you need social distancing Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #239 Comment on seasonality Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #251 Avoid ibuprofen Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #370 Info on chloroquine Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #530 News from Italy Posted by Pedretti_Gaming (4 years ago)

Post #693 Important info and advice Posted by ForceFlow (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballosp.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#406 4 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

I’m reluctant to wade into this thread but in the interest of helping someone who may have honest questions I will.
I am a board certified internal medicine physician working in the Fort Worth, Texas area.
If anyone has a question regarding COVID-19 I will be happy to try and answer.
Please be aware I will ignore troll posts.
Thanks, wash your hands, limit your unnecessary exposure to others and stay safe!

Thanks for volunteering! My question:

my understanding is China, Taiwan, S. Korea took extreme measures of total isolation at home (not sure how they did food?). That makes sense. You'd think 2+ weeks of this and the illness is isolated to homes and hospitals.

what we're doing in California: we're sort of home... but freely able to go on walks, hikes. My wife is at the grocery store ~1.5 hours every few days. It's packed.

how is the California way going to prevent spreading the virus in any reasonable amount of time?

I'd rather hole up for 2+ weeks than live this shitty way for months. What am I missing ?

Thanks !!

#649 4 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

That’s really the problem, weighing controlling the virus against the economic effects and limiting peoples liberty.
South Korea was one of the most successful and they had a massive testing program and strict isolation.

My question/statement was slightly stronger:

We know the Chinese/Taiwanese way works -- it's been proved.

But it isn't clear to me whether this somewhat half-assed effort is going to actually contain the disease at all -- in a bounded time frame ?

#1049 4 years ago

100s of cars, bumper-to-bumper, lined the entrance to Joshua Tree Park today. Apparently this is everyone's idea of shelter in, right?
In San Jose, the police has to get involved, just 3 days in, because, once again, we can't get it right.

I have really struggled to accept our ways, especially in the last 3 years, but this is the last straw for me.

We're too selfish and too stupid to have the freedoms we have in America. Great ideas on paper - just like communism - but not when the average person makes such poor decisions. Which do impact everyone else.

I am sad and ashamed that we ended up here and that there are countries who continue to look up to us. Please, learn from our mistakes!

#3835 4 years ago

Nice to see lots of critical thinking posts in this thread (likely, others got banned ).

Hoping we wisen up so we don't have to do this for the next 6 months -- it sucks. Lots of people still making brutally bad decisions.

This summed it up real well:

#3885 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I agree with most all of this, except the jogging/running stuff. It's a contact/area issue. Being outside out of reach isn't an issue. A little common sense goes a long way.

it's people jogging together. Basically any excuse to get outside, which is what he's getting at.

I have Italian friends: a new thing is going outside with a leash and claiming you're looking for your dog.

That type of shit.

#6137 3 years ago

Drove home to San Jose from Joshua Tree a few days ago via the 101. Coastal towns open for business, like there was no pandemic. Beach packed with RVs, bumper to bumper. Solvang shut down -- good job!!

On my street nobody is practicing social distancing. This is while the Kaiser < 1 mile from my house is > 50% full with COVID patients.

2 of the neighbors are investment bankers so they're not supposed to be this stupid. I am angry and frustrated. This kind of shit is what's getting us in trouble and also making this shut down last longer.

#8372 3 years ago

I have never ignored pinsiders at a faster rate than this thread.

And my faith in America has never been more challenged. It isn't as much the lies spread from above... it's the percentage of the population that stubbornly believes them and ignores ALL scientific fact.

There is only one other country I have lived in that behaved the same way: Kenya. Where you could show up with scientific evidence to explain AIDS and why one should use condoms and people would still visit the village elder and follow his/her advice. And obviously the result is not so good.

I always knocked on China for believing the propaganda but aren't we actually worse? We have theoretical freedom of the press... and people believe horseshit anyway.

I am so befuddled.

#9760 3 years ago

Sad to see many more anti-Chinese posts in the recent days. They change nothing about the current situation... and it's beyond what we control.

And, how about looking a little closer to home? NY Times article is a great start. And that we, voters, do have control over.

#10402 3 years ago

Insanity at the top continues!

Makes me think of

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

#11270 3 years ago
Quoted from embryonjohn:

The days of this country relying on 3 TV news anchors & two newspapers for its opinions are over. Please, just get over it.
Long live diversity of thought (which used to be welcomed and championed by both sides) in America.

Except this is not true: a lot of people in America rely on FoxNews for their news... and since they are not accountable for anything IMO it's no different than spreading hate speech.
Facebook, Google moderate it (to some extent) but nobody moderates the media.

#11642 3 years ago

This thread has really gone to shit the last few pages.

Perhaps there is some natural law where if you take a fixed number of people and have them post 10,000 times you will eventually spiral down to the lowest common denominator?

(sums up a lot of social media, actually)

1 week later
#12799 3 years ago

Reading this thread and contrasting with pinball machines being offered *and* sold for 17K is just disturbing for me.

Quite the 2 different realities, the disparity in the US has never been higher???

Great thread, anyway.

1 month later
#15052 3 years ago

That was touching. Thank you. I needed that.

Quoted from Asael:

I would like to answer your question and I hope it is ok that my answer has nothing to do with corona and is a bit longer. I grew up with American soldiers stationed around my village and they are still here. Some say we’re still occupied, I think they are here to help, so that we all could live in freedom. And I hope the american soldiers keep staying here.
As a kid I loved their ice cream on Independence Day and as a kid they let me sit in a F16 Falcon (I think that’s why I later went to the german army). They were always friendly, and I liked them. And perhaps as a kid I thought they were the best and number one in the world. I learned to speak the english language way before I got into school. In school I failed the English course because I was talking like on the street and not the british english they wanted to teach us. I watched american TV Shows, always loved the music and the culture. As a teenager I loved the book “Centennial” from James R. Michener that covered a big part of American history. I love western movies with John Wayne like “The Searcher” and my all-time favorite TV show is “Northern Exposure”. I cannot live without american music from, soul and blues, over folk to rock and metal.
Over the years I have met many American families from different corners of the country. They taught me how to love and watch American Football. And I played baseball with them and had fun. They let me sneak into the base to buy things that you could not get here in Germany. Then after 9.11. something started to be bit different many Americans started to close everything and keep for themself. I could understand this. There were times when soldiers from the Iraq war came in my pub and were broken down, after a few drinks they started crying over the things they saw there or about lost friends. Sometimes they wanted to get in fights, and I had to show and tell them that they are now under friends again. I could understand all this, also it sometimes was precarious.
And still through the years I often found good friends and with the internet I could keep in contact with them:
The Texan girl, who is a good musician and has a farm where they filmed a lot of westerns.
The guy from LA that became a member and big part of a traditional runners club in my village and had a wife here but left her and went back to the USA.
The black guy from Hawaii with the german name “Fritz”, one night I taught him very drunk a few swear words that are used in my village, only to hear him say these words to the referee the next day in a soccer match which resulted in a red card.
The Captain from a Irish New Yorker family that had run a pub in NY and always came to my similar pub cause of homesickness as long as he stayed in the US army here.
The big black guy from Belize, who is in the freemasonry and has a teacher as his wife who loved world music and my beer. And told me that he wants to come back in a few years to live the rest of his life in my village, far away from all the racism he is confronted in the USA.
I still have contact with them after they left and there were many more!
And under my good friends are still Americans living in my little village:
An American/Mexican ex-soldier who stayed here after his army time as a sport teacher and soccer coach.
Or the beautiful wife of the mayor of my village, who could not vote for her husband in his election, cause she still only has her american citizenship and wants to keep it that way.
And one of my best friends an ex-soldier from Puerto Rico who also stayed here and has a good salsa band and many kids and grandchildren who are living here now like german natives.
One of my neighbors is an old friendly lady from Jacksonville who hates Trump and she wants to live here till she dies also she misses surfing.
All these people are different, different colors, religion and view on politics, but they are all coming from the USA. They are genuinely nice, and I like talking with them as often as possible, almost daily!
2 Years ago, I went to watch my first NFL game in London. I am a big Seahawks fan, always was, no bandwagon fan! I came into the Wembley stadium and searched for my seat. Direct next to me sitting was an old guy from seattle, I would say around 80 years old. Before I could sit, he looked at me in my Seahawks shirt from up to down. Then he said that this is a big relieve for him, he thought he had to travel so far, and he was afraid he had to sit next to a Raiders fan. I told him that I am a real Seahawks fan, but that I am from Germany. He said: “Bloody Nazi doesn’t matter, as long you are no Raider!” Normally to call someone a nazi would be a big insult but I had to laugh about this. After the game he said to me: “Son you did great, cheering up the team!” And that I am a real loud “12” and that I should come to watch a game in Century field one day. That was for me like I have been knighted! Later that night I got drunk with a nice couple of Raiders fans from oakland in the London Crobar. I still have a video from her saying "Go hawks!", took me a lot of drinks to get her this far.
So why I am telling you all this? Perhaps it is not the answer that you wanted but It does not matter for me if America is the number one and the best or not. It does not matter if you start a rocket into space. When I write “Black lives matter” on facebook it is not against America, it is the opposite. As long I have so many friends from your country, and as long I am invited as a friend. I am on the side of the American people as a friend too. You have problems in your country, we have problems here, sometimes the same, sometimes different. But as people I think we almost have the same background and the same culture and, in many things, the same way of thinking. We value the same things: Freedom, democracy and human rights. We should keep working and living together in this world. Does it matter where we are born? And I think that covid shows us this more than anything else. May the force be with you!

#15053 3 years ago

Much more than Corona, I am really struggling with the division in the US. And that was BEFORE the last few days.

I really thought a virus would be one thing that could not be politicized... and that it might help us all get on the same page. And then that it might help see who we've got in charge.

But the same side of the population is refusing science, data, facts and logic. I know that's exactly what I should be expecting by now but it's hard to come to terms with it. It hurts all of us.

While I have met many good people here this has worked only as long as politics stayed out of the equation. And now that this government has made everything political it has made certain interactions unbearable and others impossible. Some people say it's just two sides of the same coin. I don't think that is true any more, unless you consider "sane" and "insane" being 2 opposing sides.

I do feel grief that this is where we are. It just seems like such a waste of all that's good here.

3 weeks later
#15899 3 years ago

This is PRECISELY where the problems in the US stem from

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-us-canada-53174415/they-want-to-throw-god-s-wonderful-breathing-system-out

ego centric stupid dimwits

#15902 3 years ago
Quoted from too-many-pins:

Here is my question:
For years places of business have required shirts & shoes in order for you to shop or eat and everyone is basically OK with that. Over the past 10 years (give or take) smoking in public has been banned in more and more places and people are OK with that. If you want to drink alcohol or beer in public places in most areas you need to conceal what you are drinking and people are OK with that. Yet when the Department of Health asks you to wear a mask to help stop the spread of a deadly virus somehow they are taking away your rights?
Are people really getting this stupid?

My fear is the stupidity has always been there... affecting so much of the country... explaining so many things.

It's only now that it is so plainly visible, black on white.

It's frightening!!

1 week later
#16106 3 years ago

Just when I thought we (as a nation) couldn't possibly get any more stupider

Taiwan wore masks on day 1 -- it worked well!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballosp.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread?tu=pinballosp and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.