272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 Important warning Posted by Daditude (4 years ago)

Post #6 Coronavirus website with up-to-the-moment stats Posted by Daditude (4 years ago)

Post #172 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #193 Name of disease and of the virus Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #209 Explains why you need social distancing Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #239 Comment on seasonality Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #251 Avoid ibuprofen Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #370 Info on chloroquine Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #530 News from Italy Posted by Pedretti_Gaming (4 years ago)

Post #693 Important info and advice Posted by ForceFlow (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinball_ric.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#171 4 years ago

The statement 'once you get over it you're cured' is false. There have been multiple reports of people getting re-infected after recovering.

#190 4 years ago
Quoted from wolfemaaan:

Actually it’s not. You’re cured buddy. No new strains have been detected, that’s why it’s called Covad 19. It is a derivative of SARS and originally SARS-CoV-2
If they were reporting Covad 19 and Covad 20, etc we’re developing then I’d be concerned

Here is just one article talking about a reinfection and rehospitalization. There are many more if you look.
Perhaps you don't know how to use google?

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/story/2020-03-13/china-japan-korea-coronavirus-reinfection-test-positive

#1213 4 years ago

I wouldn't put so much stock in Faucci. I personally don't trust him anymore than the person standing behind him when he talks. He said "Not everyone needs to get tested. I don't see how testing everyone would help prevent the spread".

Obviously if you test everyone you can isolate the people who are not showing symptoms and spreading the virus. Also look at South Korea.. They tested like mad and are the only country to flatten the curve.

#1252 4 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

I don't think that Faucci gets to say everything he would like to say. I suspect his testing comments were more related to the follow up after testing, how badly we had already screwed up testing, and the reality that S Korean methods would not/could not be duplicated in the US for logistical and political reasons.
S Korea's testing program was only part of a comprehensive integrated plan - very early and widespread testing, monitored quarantine, tracing the contacts of the infected person, electronic (cell phone) monitoring of the infected, sharing of information across the country, re-testing contacts, follow up of everyone, and a very strong single payer healthcare infrastructure with which to carry it out.
Meanwhile we were having a hard time figuring out toilet paper distribution and allowing private individuals to buy up all the available masks and hand cleaner.

I don't disagree with any of this but we certainly could have done significantly better than we have been. And stating that testing wouldn't help is just not true.

#2667 4 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Got the town hall, cant find a source for that conclusion....Thin Air?

It was during a press briefing yesterday I believe. I was watching it when he said it. So yes it happened.

#3177 4 years ago

So the CDC is now reporting that the virus has been found on the Princess cruise ship up to 17 days. That's a pretty damn long time for the virus to be on a surface.

Also if these PPE's are so great and prevent the transmission why are healthcare workers contracting the disease and dying? Perhaps they help but they certainly doesn't seem to be fool proof.

#5188 4 years ago

China didn't lock down until February. The first reported case was in November. There's no way the number of deaths is so low.

#6603 4 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

arbitrary milestone reached:
Coronavirus Cases:
Italy and Spain still have the most daily deaths (709, 760 respectively), but USA numbers (616) keep going up. (death numbers are SO FAR today)

The US has been over 1,000 deaths the past 2 days. Very soon we'll pass both countries for total number dead. Granted this wasn't unexpected since we have a much larger population. It didn't need to happen so quickly though. We are far more spread out than any european country.

3 weeks later
#12174 3 years ago
Quoted from Theo_Ioannis:

Very sad.......today is a new record......38,474 new cases
[quoted image]

Thats weird. The stats on the page I prefer show today was our first real decline. I wonder if it's not updating properly for some reason.

https://infection2020.com/

2 weeks later
#13753 3 years ago

Buffets aren't going anywhere. Golden Corral is opening back up in some places but instead the food will be served cafeteria style. A worker will give you what food you ask for on your plate which will keep people from all using the same utensils

2 weeks later
#14945 3 years ago

You know what else keeps you from touching your face? A mask. Though I suspect there isnt anyone wearing gloves that isnt wearing a mask also

3 weeks later
#15625 3 years ago
Quoted from Atrain:

The cases are rising, but to me it doesn't seem like the deaths are rising, which is great news. Am I looking at the data correctly? Have we gained some immunity to the virus and because more people have caught it they can't catch it again and things are "better" now than in March? I would have thought the death rate would have been spiking as well but that doesn't seem to be happening. I am a little confused, but liking that the deaths are not rising.

Deaths lag behind cases an additional 1-2 weeks at least. People don't die from it right away as soon as they catch it. Don't worry deaths will go up very very soon.

1 month later
#17340 3 years ago
Quoted from RonSS:

I'd rather people not paste my image all over the web, thank you. Mask or no mask. Good reason or bad. Facebook is a poison.

I've got some good news! There is a way to make sure you aren't recognizable in pictures of you that are taken in public spaces! The device is super cheap. You just have to put it over your mouth and nose.

#17355 3 years ago
Quoted from RonSS:

I'm talking general terms here, but, yeah, just do as you're told and you can avoid social outcasting....
Great, what's next? How high boss?
Again, as I said, good or bad, mask or no mask. Post your dog eating cake as much as you like, were6all super interested, just keep me off the web unless I choose to be there please.

So you don't obey any laws? You don't fasten your seatbelt when you get in the car? Wearing a mask is no different here. It's a safety thing not a political statement.

Also you do not have any expectation of privacy if you are out in public. Sorry. That has been well established by the courts.

#17368 3 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

Geez what's with all the extremist assesment there dude?? ... "don't obey Any laws"? Wtf? ... mate only stated his value on privacy
I'm qualified in engineering and a boiler attendant as well sometimes... If I don't obey laws then simple pricks could very easily be killed. What is your problem exactly again??
I fully agree with him, super interested in seeing your dog eat cake!

It's not extremist. He was defending people who refuse to wear masks. So I made a valid comparison. Which is selfish as the mask helps cut spread down by a factor of 5. Since the mask mandate went into effect in texas our daily case counts have been in steady decline (It's also been hotter here so maybe that's been a factor as well? Don't know about that).

#17566 3 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

I hope I’m wrong but I suspect our Texas Attorney General is going to look pretty foolish for saying the state health department can’t mandate virtual learning until late September here to prevent spread of the pandemic, only in response to an outbreak.
So, many of our schools are opening for in person instruction in about 2 weeks. I’m all for opening schools but we are still a hit spot here in D/FW and the initial plan of virtual learning until late September and in person learning after that seemed pretty reasonable to me.
I suspect we will have at least one if not multiple outbreaks in Texas schools within a week or so of re-opening and THEN the schools will have to shut down again.
Once again, government not doing what is prudent up front in an attempt to make things seem “normal”.

Thankfully all of the schools in the greater austin area are all remote learning "for the first 3 weeks". I expect that to get extended.

2 months later
#19208 3 years ago
Quoted from RonSS:

I'll respectfully agree to disagree. Censorship is not a good path to follow.
I don't want this turning political (and again, I'm not suggesting Q is true or false), I just have a large bug up my bum about media censorship.
We should all think carefully before " requesting" it.

They aren't being censored. They're free to make their own website to peddle their opinions. No company is obligated to provide a platform for someone/something that they find offensive. Off topic but this thread has really slowed down with useful rona talk.

1 week later
#19432 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Yes, the antibodies last on average 3 to 4 months, then you get to start over.
I guess it's like the common cold, which is also a coronavirus. Just because you had it once, doesn't mean you won't get it again. Kind of kills the thought of the effectiveness of a vaccine lasting very long as well.
I've been reading up on an alternate treatment to harsh chemicals and medicines to prevent cytokine storm syndrome, which can happen in severe cases.
https://www.healtheuropa.eu/medicinal-cannabis-may-play-a-significant-role-during-covid-19/103093/

This isn't entirely true. Yes it seems like anti-bodies probably only last 3-4 months it's possible that your immune system learned to better handle the infection in the future even without existing antibodies. There's no scientific evidence showing that to be the case for this virus. Some of the reinfections were different mutations which could imply that getting one version doesn't protect you from another. If that's true it's really not good for a vaccine.

1 week later
#19623 3 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Governor said if numbers dont improve by next friday more lockdowns are coming.

They won't. You dont see results from lockdowns for at least 2 weeks

1 week later
#19993 3 years ago
Quoted from BigT:

As you guys know my wife and daughters had COVID in September, we found out because my wife gets tested every week for work. She works for American Century and she was informed that she will now be taking an antibodies test each week instead of the COVID test. I will let everyone know when her antibodies test comes back negative. Daughter came home from college on September 9th, so that would have been the earliest she contracted COVID.
As a disclaimer, this is just one person!! Do not take this as scientific fact as far as how long antibodies last. When we had COVID, nobody ran a fever, it was most characterized as bronchitis and head colds. The only similar symptom they had was loss of taste and smell.

From what's been reported antibodies last around 3 months. However it's just now coming out that t-cell immunity can last up to 6 months and maybe longer.

#20019 3 years ago
Quoted from smalltownguy2:

Americans (myself included) do not like to be told what to do. That's evident. It's pretty much why our country was founded in the first place. One of our states literally has the slogan, "Live free or die." Seriously.
The ONLY path to ending this in the USA is herd immunity. That's it. I'm not holding my breath for an effective vaccine.
Get it, and get past it or die. That's it. Reality sucks sometimes.

This has been said over and over in this thread but I'm going to repeat it again since you seem to not grasp things. For starters herd immunity is mathematically impossible when you factor in immunity is potentially short term. But we'll ignore that for now. Currently the case fatality rate is around 2.4% but I'll be generous and go with 2%. If every american got the virus with a CFR of 2% that would mean 6,564,000 deaths. I don't know about you but I don't consider the 200,000+ deaths we have to be acceptable so to say we should go for herd immunity and be fine with 6.5 million deaths is just abhorrent.

So that was with a CFR of 2%. If we really took the brakes off and let it run rampant that CFR would skyrocket as health care becomes overwhelmed and people can't get the care they need. Even with measures I expect the CFR will go up during the winter as people will likely start getting heavier viral loads again.

It's really not hard to wear a mask and socially distance. If you want to hang out with people do it outside but still stay distanced. We already saw what happens when you don't distance even while being outside (rose garden event). I don't think it's unamerican to ask people to consider their fellow americans and wear a mask. Lots of professions have to wear a mask all day long.

If you're really against masks though and don't think people should consider others around them then when you have surgery in the future make sure you demand that the staff in the OR doesn't wear a mask or wash their hands.

#20075 3 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Texas hit 1 million cases. Just wow.
Considering its just 4 months till TPF getting worried about pinball events in 2021.
Im probably going to cancel my Hotel reservation this week.

My brother and I had no plans to go next year because there is little chance this will be over by then. I wish they'd put it off a year. I'm not sure they can withstand canceling 2 shows back to back financially. I would hate to see TPF go under.

1 week later
#20383 3 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

with the chinstrap look going

That is called a chin diaper

1 week later
#20475 3 years ago
Quoted from misfitdart:

The facts are that there is far more negative issues attached to a shutdown then covid itself, you should look up the stats of suicide/depression/alcohol/drug abuse in the areas with a shutdown. A fast tracked vaccine has it’s own possible set of complications and I don’t mean science fiction, maybe look up some of the facts attached to that subject as well.

NZ and Australia have had some of the strictest lockdowns and AFAIK there has not been a significant suicide increase. I'm not sure if drinking has gone up or if it's just the people who used to drink at bars are drinking more at home now so there's more bottles in peoples trash cans than usual which makes it appear as those drinking is up.

I also wouldn't consider depression to be "worse" than being permanently maimed from covid or even death.

If you've got some evidence to prove there has been a significant uptick in suicides that out weigh the number of deaths from covid please present it. Even if there is an uptick I seriously doubt it would be high enough to surpass the amount of lives that could have been potentially saved from a lockdown. We're approaching our highest daily death count in the US to date. I expect us to pass 3,000 dead a day pretty soon. I just don't see over 3,000 people a day committing suicide.

I personally prefer to take my health advice from the medical community who are overwhelmingly saying that more restrictions are needed rather than politicians who's only goal is to self serve to get re-elected. If there was as much risk/damage as you're saying lockdowns cause I'm pretty sure the medical community would be the ones to know first and adjust their viewpoints.

1 week later
#20700 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

The new guy says he is going to ask us to wear masks for 100 more days. Not forever, only 100 days. That must be what the science is saying now.

Has nothing to do with "the science". This is no different than telling a 5 year old who won't listen "look. just do this thing for this short X amount of time ok? it'll be easy". When people act like selfish children they should expect to be treated as such. If people could just do this one simple thing maybe we wouldn't have to shut so much down. Maybe restaurants and bars could be open at a reduced capacity instead of just closed entirely.

Note: This isn't directed at o-din. I'm taking his comment as snarky satire for the most part. I hope that was the intent.

#20730 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Apparently, severe allergic reactions to the vaccine are already happening.

Kinda like saying it will be gone in the springtime as to not create panic? I could have sworn this dude said all his actions and recommendations would be based on science.
We can count down those 100 days and have a national "mask off day" when the time comes. Figure it's going to be late April, perhaps the beginning of May. I'm sure there will be a lot of people holding him to his exact words.

*Heavy sigh*.. I guess you weren't being sarcastic. You're really going to compare telling the public it's no big deal it'll go away no problem to an actual effort to get people to do something that might actually help?

Plus the "just do this for a short time thing" is just a trick to get kids to do something.. It's easier to get them to keep doing the thing once they've already been doing it. Same logic is being applied here. Those 100 days will probably be much longer.. probably at least half a year (till we can get the majority of people vaccinated).

#20747 3 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

It's only a dolla.... I mean It's only another 100 days. Problem is that it has been 250 days already as I have done my part and wore a mask even where not required. Another 40 days til the hundred day mandate means almost 400 days of fun.
I've done my part and things are getting worse in the Midwest. I say open restaurants back to 50% occupancy since the mask idea now seems like a farce.

The mask idea is not a farce there is a HUGE overwhelming gigantic pile of evidence that they work. Look at the asian countries who have near 100% compliance. They're pretty much back to normalish. Other eastern countries as well. Yes you (and I) have been doing our part but there is a HUGE number of americans that haven't been. THAT is why we aren't seeing the decline we should be or at least a slower rise.

2 weeks later
#20987 3 years ago
Quoted from roffels:

Don't you live in Australia where lock downs worked in the goal of reducing infections?
The United States doesn't have anything near a "shut down" - we have poorly implemented restrictions that vary by local government.

And a lot of those restrictions are unenforceable. In texas our governor has said people can't be fined or jailed for violating the restrictions. So we effectively have no restrictions.

#20992 3 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

How much voluntary compliance is there?

I can't speak for all of texas (texas is quite large afterall) but in the Austin area it isn't too bad I don't think. I don't venture out myself except the grocery store or dr appointments when they can't be virtual. We had almost 20,000 new cases last Wednesday I think it was. Pretty sure that's the most any state has reported.

Houston has been hit particularly hard I believe and El Paso was really bad and might still be.

#21083 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

New strain: Evidence so far suggests it isn’t more severe, but it is a good bit more transmissible.
This means there will likely be more stress on the hospitals, which could result in a decrease in quality of care and an increasing rate of negative outcomes.

While it doesn't yet seem it is more serious it is hitting people under 20 much much harder than the previous strains. The number of people under 20 being hospitalized is rising significantly

#21148 3 years ago
Quoted from cnuts13:

how many covid cases would we have in this country if hospitals were not paid for a positive but were fined?

I thought conspiracy theories were not allowed? I don't get why this is seen as ok. This is highly inflammatory and trolling both of which are against the general forum rules.

#21168 3 years ago

It was actually two times from what I saw but the media was too busy on wednesday with other news to realize.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinball_ric.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread?tu=pinball_ric and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.