Topic Stats

• 21,429 posts
  • 517 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 hours ago by Pinball_Gizzard
  • Topic is favorited by 84 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 3,087 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Screen Shot 2021-01-25 at 7.34.37 PM (resized).png
Screen Shot 2021-01-25 at 7.34.27 PM (resized).png
Screenshot_20210125-174734~2 (resized).png
nickleback (resized).jpg
CBD592FC-A9B1-44C0-AF92-F76FD80E1DD9 (resized).jpeg
14B7CF02-2E78-4D85-9341-076165423125 (resized).jpeg
9901678_012221-cc-cnn-troops-parking-garage-img (resized).jpeg
C1CDB543-3981-4E71-830E-B7957289D153 (resized).jpeg
DCBC2F8F-CA84-4DDB-ACD6-1E40DF12C84F (resized).jpeg
20210121_121739.jpg
20210121_121719.jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
Dentalchair_a (resized).png
ADEF9814-41EB-4103-A43B-2BB7443A3537 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20210118-233900~2 (resized).png
victoria (resized).PNG

Topic index (key posts)

140 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 Important warning Posted by Daditude (10 months ago)

Post #6 Coronavirus website with up-to-the-moment stats Posted by Daditude (10 months ago)

Post #172 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by Pinball_Gizzard (10 months ago)

Post #193 Name of disease and of the virus Posted by Pinball_Gizzard (10 months ago)

Post #209 Explains why you need social distancing Posted by Pinball_Gizzard (10 months ago)

Post #239 Comment on seasonality Posted by Pinball_Gizzard (10 months ago)

Post #251 Avoid ibuprofen Posted by Pinball_Gizzard (10 months ago)

Post #370 Info on chloroquine Posted by Pinball_Gizzard (10 months ago)

Post #530 News from Italy Posted by Pedretti_Gaming (10 months ago)

Post #693 Important info and advice Posted by ForceFlow (10 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider loneacer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#34 10 months ago

The good thing about having a single thread now is that once the troublemakers are ejected we're going to have a nice civil discussion here.

#38 10 months ago
Quoted from WackyBrakke:

Think millions.......that’s the reality if we don’t isolate now.

7.7 billion world population, 70% infection rate, 2-10% die without (and often with) adequate treatment. 107 million - 539 million worldwide deaths. That's what we'd see by making no changes from typical daily life.

#42 10 months ago

The best scenario I see right now is that they have adequate proof that the drugs they are testing now are enough to mitigate the symptoms, lessen duration, and more or less eliminate deaths. Then they'll free everybody to go about their normal lives, with the expectation that everybody will get sick, get the medicine, recover, and this will be over with. Kind of like a seasonal flu without a vaccine. We'll hit the peak of the crisis mid to late April, then be back to normal by June.

#51 10 months ago
Quoted from JodyG:

the Dunning-Kruger effect

Was that related to the guy with knives on his fingers?

#146 10 months ago
Quoted from Dono:

I personally feel that posting these types of numbers is irresponsible... I am sensitive to how bad it could potentially be in this country, but if you view what's happening in China, Korea, Japan, and the fact that these countries are now flatlining or slowly diminishing with new cases, how can anyone responsibly say that there is going to be a 70% infection rate? That just seems way over the top to me.

So you object to all the leaders telling their citizens that?

"German Chancellor Angela Merkel has warned that up to 70% of the country's population - some 58 million people - could contract the coronavirus."

"As many as 80% of the population are expected to be infected with Covid-19 in the next 12 months, and up to 15% (7.9 million people) may require hospitalization,” states the Public Health England (PHE) briefing for senior NHS officials"

"California governor projects "56% of state's population will be infected" in the next 8 weeks"

#413 10 months ago
Quoted from woody76:

Italy dropped the ball and they have a very OLD population

The USA dropped the ball and has a very stupid population.

#416 10 months ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

My guess is that when this is all said and done, our numbers will be in between China’s and Italy’s.

I wish I shared that view. Excluding the one day when China changed their criteria of what counts as a case, they didn't have a single day with as many new cases as we have today and we're just getting started. We might have less deaths, but not less overall cases.

#441 10 months ago

A lady I work with is in her 60s. She has sanitizer on her desk and walks around the office spraying Lysol in the air every day. I overheard her say she's going to a birthday party this weekend where they are going to an axe throwing place. So everybody at that party is going to be handling the same axes. Hope they wear gloves...

#448 10 months ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Haha never heard of an axe throwing party. I’d suggest they give each guest their own axe and let them throw it at one another. Maybe knock a few people out for good.

Axe throwing has gotten popular here in the midwest in the last couple years. I don't really get it, but I hear a lot of people talking about it.

axe (resized).JPG
#454 10 months ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

Red Neck darts

I guess it's the new bowling. They even call them axe throwing lanes. They serve you greasy food and alcohol and then you go throw axes. What could go wrong?

#555 10 months ago

Just got back from my weekly Saturday morning grocery run. I go to a Walmart Supercenter in a town of about 10000 population. Last week everything was normal other than no cleaning products or TP. Today there were about double the people at 7 AM that I see when I normally go at 8. It was about 80% empty shelves. No bread, eggs, butter, cereal, TP, pizza, meat of any kind. Very little lunch meat. There were a few cans of soup, maybe 5 different ones where there are usually 50+. I saw three people wearing masks. Here's pics of cereal and lunch meat (stuff that barely sells anymore during normal times).

I asked the cashier why she didn't ask me if I found everything I was looking for like she does every other week. She said she's not falling into that trap.

IMG_0495 (002) (resized).jpgIMG_0496 (002) (resized).jpg
#723 10 months ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

I hate to cause undue panic or hysterics but I’m going to let some insider information out here.
I’m still in “essential retail” and thankfully one of the managers is my very good friend. They told me, officially they cannot say anything, but to make sure I’m carrying my working papers on Monday.
Upper management gave us papers addressed to the National Guard/government officials, stating I am allowed free travel due to my designation as “necessary personnel” which is kinda ridiculous because this job is really not that essential whatsoever lol
When I asked “will the National Guard be closing off roads and stopping people?” I was given a dirty look and the old “I don’t know what you’re talking about” card from the very person who gave me the letter.
They aren’t allowed to tell people yet I suppose to avoid undue panic, but it’s going to be very serious in New York. The National Guard is already set up over at the State Park.
Another service member I am friends with has told me they will be arresting people who violate the “PAUSE” order and leave their homes. Please don’t give me the “YOU’RE LYING TO CAUSE A PANIC!” As someone in the Guard just told me themselves lol.
Get ready.

I'm afraid it's time we expel NY from the US and cut our losses. You guys are Canada's problem now.

#875 10 months ago

The KC metro is now under a stay at home order for 30 days starting Tuesday. It may be extended after 30 days. Technically it's for residents of 4 counties. I don't live in those counties, but I do work there.

#1251 10 months ago
Quoted from rwmech5:

US just posted 14,000 new cases today. Probably due to expanded test results coming back.

And the day is barely half over. What's the deal with all the cases in Louisiana?

#1798 10 months ago

Guess who is about to work from home?

"As many of you have probably read, the whole KC Metro area is under stay-at-home order effective this coming Tuesday, with the order lasting until April 24th. While our business is considered an “essential service”, we are confident we can perform our duties from home for the next several weeks. Look for department specific virtual meetings to occur tomorrow morning so we can touch base and plan on how we’ll effectively communicate with each other for the next several weeks. The office WILL be open tomorrow if you do need to come in and gather any important work materials."

#2136 10 months ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Still chewing on these 2 comments:
1. “The mortality rate is a lot lower than we thought it would be.”
2. Paraphrase: Deaths from an economic crash could be much worse than deaths from the virus

I could see heart attacks and suicides from an economic crash being a significant number.

#2449 10 months ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Daaaaamn. I usually prefer logarithmic but this tells a story.[quoted image]

The sad thing about that is that the US had the most advance warning of all the countries.

#3650 10 months ago

This came in an ebay order I received today.

IMG_0515 (002) (resized).jpgIMG_0517 (002) (resized).jpg
#3732 10 months ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

Quality prime beef on the cheap right now around here, restaurants ain’t buying much now, freezers full, going to need something to barter for the tp.

I heard last week about pork futures or something plummeting last week. They were saying herds would swell in a few months and meat would be dirt cheap.

#3739 10 months ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I've very high level outlined it a few times, but it's basically short term communism by hitting the pause button on everything. No bills, no rent, no mortgage, basically everything just freezes.

Cheesecake Factory took that into their own hands and said they weren't paying rent at any of their locations for April. Curious to see how that plays out.

#3761 10 months ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Isn't going out for fast food a little like Russian roulette right now, even worse in weeks to come?

Just right now?

#3769 10 months ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

At least in my area, I've heard Cheesecake Factory is still doing a pretty good take out business. Taking the stance they arent paying rent anywhere for April strikes me as pretty bold and questionable.
Are they a company not healthy at all financially? With many of their locations still open for take out, they can't afford to pay rent for a few months if they have to? Hard to believe.

That I don't know. It says only 27 of their 294 North American restaurants are open except for take-out.

#5125 10 months ago

Interesting. With everyone staying home, Covid-19 is saving thousands of lives per week.

lives (resized).JPG
#5978 10 months ago
Quoted from o-din:

Thanks doc. You just taught me a new word.

Not a Big Bang Theory fan?

#7164 9 months ago
Quoted from chad:

Anyone spraying down their grocery items prior to picking up? Saw a lady in gloves and mask spraying the packages on the shelf before handling them.
Aldi in my area now has the 6 foot floor stickers now and the giant plastic shields up.
It was nice to see employees out wiping the carts down and providing wipes inside for the customers. I'm sure this put some minds at ease. Also learned Aldi is donating $1 million dollars to various charitable ( covid 19) needs during these rather strenuous times!!

I held my breath the whole time I was in Walmart today.

#7169 9 months ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Our smalltown Walmart has never been cleaner Just got back from there, everyone is doing a good job of keeping distances. Looked like everything is stocked well, with the exception of Lysol Wipes. Lot's of workers spraying everything people touch. Kudos to all the workers, has to be stressful on them.

Ours is clean, but still pretty empty. Only cereal was Cheerios. Fourth week in a row with no TP. No eggs. Very little bread or meat. It's kind of taken a step back. Last week it was a bit better stocked, but two weeks ago was like today.

Strange thing is the grocery store a mile away from Walmart is fully stocked with everything. I've been getting a few non essentials at Walmart, then heading to the grocery store for everything else.

#7171 9 months ago

Guy in line behind me waiting to get in Walmart was ranting about this being a biological weapon and we're all going to get it and die. Then he was in front of me at the register and was repeating the same stuff to the teenage cashier. He didn't have a mask on.

#7175 9 months ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Lol no doubt. Why do so many people wear their pajamas to wal mart?? Unbelievable!

My mom tried to take her dog in Walmart last year. No it's not a service dog, she's just loopy.

#7182 9 months ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I already had some masks and a couple full on respirators here in the shop. I use them for mowing because of my allergies and when I work with nasty stuff. It sucks right now because I have maybe 8 N95 masks left and they can't be found anywhere.
I had to mow the yard with a full respirator on today so I didn't ruin one of our ones my wife takes to the store.
I have real gas masks with NBC cartridges stowed for if things get really sketchy, but I doubt coronavirus will take us there.

I bought two boxes of 20 N95s back in January. Then I decided in February I didn't want to be the only wacko walking around in public wearing one (plus the experts were saying healthy people don't need them) so I sold them. Oops.

#7650 9 months ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That Koontz book is hot right now. When I first heard about it I bought up all I could find. I've sold around 70 at an average price of $60ish. Got my first hardcover one yesterday and flipped it in minutes for $115.

#7660 9 months ago
Quoted from cait001:

Awww man you can't downvote BOOK HUSTLERS, people!!

No kidding. Not like I’m flipping pins. Gotta put food on the table in these uncertain times

#7662 9 months ago
1E247C9D-30D2-4CC7-A1A0-D54E53D81267 (resized).jpeg
#7672 9 months ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

If people are paying $60 for old paperbacks, maybe the threat to the economy is being exaggerated.

Jigsaw puzzles are hot now too. I had a few unopened ones in the closet that I planned to do someday. Now those $10 puzzles are going for $50+.

#7693 9 months ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

We just set up a big puzzle table in the living room. Time to get serious.

I love jigsaw puzzles, but after finishing this one a couple years ago it burned me out.

SUN63346 (resized).jpg
#7752 9 months ago
Quoted from DCP:

I have shelves full of science fiction (parents' collection) - some of my favorites are the future predictions with dates (i.e. 2076 - the American Tricentennial in 1st pic). I think Koontz' book just proves that scientists and smart people like sci-fi writers knew 40+ years ago that it was only a matter of time before we would be hit by a big pandemic virus. This didn't come out of "nowhere ".
Many of these books filled my imagination growing up. I'm especially grateful to be the curator of the collection now that we're shut in. Any other fans of 1940s-70s sci fi on Pinside? My Dad actually published several stories in Analog and The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction in the 50s through the early 70s. I plan on publishing his stories in an anthology at some point...(pics show maybe 10% of the SF portion of Mom and Dad's collection. There are several other sub-collections).[quoted image][quoted image]

Cool stuff. I'm a sucker for books. If I had to choose between books and pinball, I'd choose reading. These pandemics fascinate me. During the last Ebola outbreak, I read Richard Preston's The Hot Zone. Also bought his Demon in the Freezer book, but I haven't read it yet.

amazon.com link »

#7756 9 months ago

Do I get moderated for trolling?

#7774 9 months ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

Per stats from last year, ~70% of new car loans were 6 years or more. If you were financing a car for a term greater than 5 years, I’d guess your finances were already somewhat precarious. Are they offering any car payment relief?

Car manufacturers are pushing for another cash for clunkers program. Most dealers have 0% for 7 years right now.

#7805 9 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

All of the roofers around here are Mexican labor and the boss will be an English speaker.

Those roofers are something else. I lived just south of Joplin in 2008 when a big EF-4 tornado went through and just missed us. We had softball size hail though. Roofers just swarmed the area over the next few days. Hundreds of houses in my subdivision had roofing company signs in their yards. And yes what you said it true.

This one if anybody cares. It's interesting reading it and reliving it. No basement, so we just got in the closet and listened to the destruction.

https://www.weather.gov/sgf/events_2008may10

#8241 9 months ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

COBOL programmers needed in NJ to help with their decades-old unemployment insurance systems.
https://qz.com/1832988/covid-19-results-in-new-jersey-desperately-needing-cobol-coders/

Saw that yesterday. I don't think you could pay me enough to program COBOL (or go to NJ).

#8242 9 months ago
Quoted from sataneatscheese:

The only new notable absences at Target were... Jigsaw Puzzles.

I wish I would have anticipated the great jigsaw puzzle bubble of 2020. I dug this one out of the closet that I bought in 2014 and never opened. Somebody bought it yesterday. With shipping and tax, they paid $82. Just unreal.

puzzle (resized).jpg
#8244 9 months ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

They might not be paying at all--they're looking for "volunteers".
Good, experienced COBOL programmers can be quite expensive.

My first employer out of college was a COBOL shop. I thought I was going to have to use it, so I read COBOL for dummies. I got there and they put me on a new team writing web applications.

#8246 9 months ago
Quoted from Tuukka:

Real Programmers can write FORTRAN programs in any language
https://web.mit.edu/humor/Computers/real.programmers

I had a semester of Fortran my first year in college. Don't remember much about it other than the giant printouts that were our program results we had to turn in.

#8298 9 months ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Damn! I could be sitting on a gold mine. I've got more than 60 I've accumulated since I retired a few years ago. My wife and I have been doing them a second time over the last 3 weeks. The two of us do a 1000 piece puzzle in about 4 hours. The more difficult ones, maybe closer to 5.[quoted image]

Nice. I glue puzzles when I finish them, so I don't have any used ones I could sell. Always felt stupid spending as much on glue as the puzzle itself cost.

#8339 9 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Assume, just assume, that the worst of this is over. How will you change your life? What will you do different?
Are you going start flying again?
What about a cruise ship?
Will you be buying a new $1,000.00 iPhone?
Will you be buying a new car?
Are you going to have a job to go back to?
Are you just going to keep hunkering down and hoard all of your money, or what money you have left?
In short, what will you be doing to help propel the economy back to health?

Nothing different for me. Never flown, never been on a cruise, don't own a cell phone. Wife needs a new car, so that's on the agenda. No change in employment.

#8351 9 months ago
Quoted from WJxxxx:

I've been working on and off on this one for nearly 2 years.
I'm working 7 days a week now, so even less time to complete it.
Just had a look at other 6000 piece puzzles and they were ridiculous prizes![quoted image]

Why stop at 6000 when you can get the 40000 piece puzzle for $800 on Amazon?

Looks like there's also a couple 51300 piece ones.

610lL7PlLhL._AC_SL1024_ (resized).jpg

#8649 9 months ago

There's 3 confirmed cases in my little town of 8500 people now. I can feel the walls closing in.

Sidewalks are jammed with people out walking in my neighborhood. I've never seen so many people out here.

#9088 9 months ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I really hope people heed this warning. I'm down here in the bible belt and the number of churches still planning something is staggering.

The Kansas governor issued an executive order to limit church gatherings this week, then the legislature overturned it. They are of opposing political parties.

#9701 9 months ago
Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

Nooooooo! Bacon!
"One of the country's largest pork processing facilities is closing until further notice as employees fall ill with Covid-19. The closure puts the country's meat supply at risk, said the CEO of Smithfield, which operates the plant."
"South Dakota Gov. Kristi Noem said during a Saturday news briefing that Smithfield employees accounted for more than half of the active coronavirus cases in the state. About 240 employees are sick, she said, out of roughly 430 active cases in the state. Because of that, she and the mayor of Sioux Falls recommended that Smithfield suspend operations for at least two weeks."
https://edition.cnn.com/2020/04/12/business/meat-plant-closures-smithfield/index.html?fbclid=IwAR34YPMrFlvm_IM9o3pkE_Yg0PG0L-nKczn-hfBVGsnNiiMY4p042YkoR-w

Saw that earlier. They are my employer's biggest customer.

#10337 9 months ago
Quoted from cait001:

fuck it, I'm giving it an upvote. A for effort.

Don't encourage him. He already ruined the original flu shot thread.

#10820 9 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Peaking? Did someone say were are peaking?
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

That looks like peaking to me. It stopped the upwards trajectory around 4/4. If it kept rising at the rate prior to that we'd be up around 80k new cases a day now.

#10832 9 months ago

NEW YORK (Reuters) - North Dakota Governor Doug Burgum issued guidelines for reopening the state as soon as May 1 in a statement issued late Wednesday, according to a statement from his office.

#10834 9 months ago

This lockdown has been going so long I've seen the same episode of Fresh Prince 4 times.

#10837 9 months ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

That’s the best post of this thread so far! Lmao

It wasn't even a joke. The one with Bel Biv Devoe is on VH1 right now

#10890 9 months ago

The PGA Tour announced today they plan to resume play (minus fans) on June 11th.

#11857 9 months ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

Latest data. By state:
[quoted image]
By country:
[quoted image]
And if you really want to appreciate the situation here, this is a linear representation...
[quoted image]

Looks like the old Scorched Earth video game.

#12045 9 months ago
Quoted from metallik:

West Texas is trading for nothing because there's no place to put it. Brent and other crudes are still somewhat normal, as storage overseas isn't in quite as dire a situation.

Right. Also the June contract is still over $20. That's the real price of oil.

1 week later
#12457 9 months ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

Yes, no touching the flags, no sand rakes or ball washers, there actually will be a raised cup, meaning that if your ball touches the raised cup it counts, so that way you don’t have to put your hand in the cup.

I heard about the raised cups about a month ago. They said there would be a surge in hole in ones because of it. The golfer is supposed to use their best judgment on if the ball would have gone in had the cup not been raised.

#13013 8 months ago

Now that the lockdowns are ending, it's obviously going to get much worse. They won't be able to lock it down again. People barely tolerated it the first time and believe the results didn't justify it. Now we just ride it out, try to make the best decisions for our own unique situations, and tally up the losses in a year or two.

#13166 8 months ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The give us free cookies at work to incentivize the flu shot, that's enough for me.

I got paid like $2 through Go365 to get one this year with my work insurance.

#13207 8 months ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I was at walmart yesterday for the first time in 2 months. I've been avoiding it specifically because I knew there would be people there who would simply ignore the rules. And as it turned out, there were a handful of people roaming around without masks on, going the wrong way down aisles, and not following distancing rules. Although, to be fair, they were more or less following the 6ft rule front and back...just not on their sides...

I was halfway through my weekly Saturday Walmart run last weekend before I even noticed the signs on the floor saying the aisles were one way. They were not obvious at all. Nobody was following them, even the grocery pickup workers gathering items. Mask usage here is down to around 25% of customers from what I've seen.

#13213 8 months ago
Quoted from Mr68:

More than a two hour moderator delay and counting. I'm enjoying the kinder/gentler feel to this thread but wondering if there might be a different way. Not criticizing and I sympathize with the moderators burden. Just wondering.

Agreed. I went from spending all day on pinside reading the various Coronavirus threads to giving this thread a casual scan a couple times a day. All the entertainment value is gone now.

1 week later
#13773 8 months ago

An old lady wearing a mask just came in our office asking where the corona testing center is. I guess there's one in a different building near here.

#14303 8 months ago
Quoted from Pinball_Gizzard:

Third, as a physician I am forced to wonder what the President’s doctor is thinking here. He is placing his patient on a medication with risks and without proven benefit. He also is putting the rest of the country’s physicians in a position to have to field more questions and demands from patients for “preventative” Hydroxychloroquine when that isn’t even an approved use of the medication.

His doctor is giving him Tic Tacs and telling him they are medicine.

1 month later
#15777 7 months ago
Quoted from jlm33:

This discrepancy (more positives cases / less deaths) can be the result of at least 3-non exclusive reasons. Two of them are good news, the last one not so much:
- Increased testing on asymptomatic carriers of the virus. GOOD
- Improved treatment on patients (dexamethasone + knowing what to do / what not to do with your patient): lower fatality ratio. GOOD
- A new surge in contaminations that will lead to a new peak of casualties in 3-4 weeks. NOT SO GOOD
I would not be surprised if all three hypotheses are true. Time will tell to what extent.
As for me, I am on the "(very) cautious optimism" side.

My theory on the lower death rate is that it already has killed off the easy kills. The people that already had one foot in the grave were finished off already. The remaining population is a bit more hardy, so the death rate will slow more the longer this lasts.

#15832 7 months ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

Florida gonna Florida. We need to start sawing that sucker off.

A couple feet of sea level rise and nature will take care of that for us.

#16040 6 months ago

At some point even the crackpots have to acknowledge reality right? Right?

Kansas announced a mask requirement yesterday. Go read the comments section of any facebook group related to that announcement and you'll have your answer. It's probably 9 to 1 against with people claiming such things as it's a conspiracy to keep them from carrying guns since they say (falsely) that it's illegal to wear a mask while carrying a concealed weapon.

#16109 6 months ago

I'm back to working from home starting today. Confirmed case yesterday in my employer's one room office of about 20 employees (and 3 more in the office building on other floors). How long until symptoms start to show again?

1 week later
#16740 6 months ago

This happened just a few miles from me. Doctor's office is swamped with calls now and summer school sports activities have now been canceled.

https://www.kshb.com/news/coronavirus/cass-county-reports-largest-virus-cluster-thus-far-after-high-school-party

108215269_3143246275782997_826420783017515540_n (resized).jpg
#16762 6 months ago
Quoted from RTR:

Holy crap, what is wrong with their hands? Covid Claw?
[quoted image]

You weren't aware of the rural, white, middle America, wannabe gangsta population???

The 4 fingers represents the teeth they have left after their meth addiction.

1 week later
#17198 6 months ago
Quoted from Oaken:

I envision a future of Esports, golf, and singles tennis.

Don't forget bowling. I think it was the first back (or never really went away)

1 week later
#17602 5 months ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

"Arkansas governor says there is no correlation between Covid-19 spike and lifting of restrictions"

There *is* a correlation between believing this and living in Arkansas.

1 week later
#17805 5 months ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Starting Aug 12, masks will be mandatory in Walmart across Canada. Curious to see how they implement this. Are they going to have a security guard at each store? I can't imagine the usual senior door greeter trying to stop the ignorant assholes that you know will be kicking and screaming that they don't have to mask up.

Walmart in the US has been like that for a few weeks now. Ours has a guy outside in the queue to get in that won't let you in without a mask. All entrances but that single one are closed.

#17921 5 months ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Serious answer - there ARE biohazard bins

All the people I know have been wearing the same mask for months and never wash it.

#17924 5 months ago
Quoted from Tuukka:

Really for months?! We just got a recommendation on wearing masks in public transportation and other places where the safe distance cant be secured. Very strict instructions on removing and throwing away the one time mask, and washing the reusable mask.

Pretty much. I work in Kansas and masks became required there around the beginning of July. We don't have to wear them in the office, but we go out into the common area of the building like the bathrooms or elevators they are required. Any other time they're just in our cars or on our desks. Same dirty cloth masks every day.

#17954 5 months ago
Quoted from swampfire:

My son hasn’t done half the stupid things I did when I was his age.

That you know about Kids are pretty good about hiding things from their parents.

2 weeks later
#18170 4 months ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Its probably nearly as bad because the protesters are out mingling with a lot more people than kids are. Its probably closer than you think. The point is though, going to school is necessary and protesting is not.

I don't think a few dozen protests compares to 130,000+ schools in the US.

#18256 4 months ago

I've noticed my area has pretty much had enough at this point. My co-workers are going to businesses without masks even though there's a mask mandate in both the state of Kansas and the Kansas City counties. When workers or customers approach them about it, they just say no thanks I'm fine.

Less than half of the customers in Walmart had masks, even though Walmart "requires" them.

I've joined a couple bowling leagues in a county that doesn't require masks. 100+ people in there with no masks or social distancing. They announced one member of one of those leagues tested positive already. It's just business as usual.

Some of my old friends / former classmates posted on FB this week that they tested positive. Weird symptoms like swelling and numbness in their face.

#18273 4 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I was at Walmart yesterday and everybody had a mask on; well, at least everybody but one younger couple who thought the rules we’re meant for everybody else and not them.

Since Walmart added their mandate, I only saw one person without a mask....until last week. It was like somebody flipped a switch. Well under half had masks. I felt like the rebel sticking to the rules.

#18274 4 months ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Stay safe out there. I couldn't imagine hanging out indoors for a couple of hours with a hundred unmasked people. So long as none of them have covid you're good, but from those stories of weddings/conferences that turn into super-spreader events, being in an enclosed space with even a handful of unmasked infected people for a considerable period of time is no bueno.
On the plus side, at least with bowling no one's breathing hard, am I right?

This is my one careless activity. I bought masks and hand sanitizer back in February before the US had any cases. I didn't leave my house other than to pick up groceries from mid-March through mid-May. I was absolutely on board for a mandated lockdown or national mask requirement, but with so few people caring now this thing is going to drag on for years.

The one league I bowled in late July and early August was delayed due to Covid and ended up just being a 5 week league. A few days before the final night, they announced somebody in the league had Covid and they canceled the final night. I'm not sure what the point of that was, because a week later all the fall leagues have started. Full house every night of the week. The employees are now wearing masks where they didn't before the bowler in our league tested positive. Other than that, I don't see a difference.

No breathing hard on my part, but the league I joined isn't very competitive. I might be the only person there that's under 50. The lady they put on my team is in her 70s.

#18275 4 months ago

Yeah, people with cancer probably get sick of having to do chemo too.

I don't think the chance of catching something that has a 1% chance of killing you is a fair comparison to somebody already battling cancer.

Depending on the type of cancer and survival rate, I wouldn't always choose chemo. If I learned I had stage 4 pancreatic cancer, I'd just try to enjoy my final days and get my affairs in order.

1 week later
#18465 4 months ago

Heard I have a second co-worker that tested positive (in an office of about 15). He was at some lake party all weekend. Came in to work Tuesday, started feeling sick, and tested positive Thursday.

Also went to Menards yesterday and didn't take a mask. They made me buy one at the front door. No signs anywhere that I saw saying they were required or I would have brought mine in from my car. It was raining so I didn't want to go back to get it.

1 month later
#19588 3 months ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Hi Doctor , sorry to slide off topic a bit but what is the significance of the new membrane discovered in our brains ?

It's probably the one that goes insane.

#19589 3 months ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

A downvote, really?[quoted image]

Probably because the poster is a habitual downvoter and is getting the favor returned.

1 week later
#19940 83 days ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

What just a minute, I thought this whole Covid 19 thing was going to disappear before today?
Did all the hospitalizations just drop to 0 overnight and we missed it? Why is this thread not locked yet.

No no. You're a day off. It magically disappears tomorrow.

#19951 82 days ago

My cousin tested positive a couple days ago. Fever around 102 for a couple days, no symptoms now. I bowl league with him once a week. So far so good for me, but at least two people in the league of around 50 bowlers tested positive this week. I think that makes around 10 so far in 9 weeks, so around 20% of the league has been positive. Not saying it's spreading during league, but it's certainly possible.

I have about 20 co-workers and 4 have been positive so far, so 20% there too.

1 week later
#20158 75 days ago

My guess is that IF the Pfizer vaccine rolls out for general use it will be administered by a governmental agency that can be funded to have the specific equipment and staff to store and administer the vaccine properly. This probably isn’t something you would drive to Walgreeen’s to get.

They announced a month ago that CVS and Walgreens would be administering the vaccine to nursing homes.

3 weeks later
#20532 54 days ago

One of my old Junior High teachers died from Covid today. Two people my wife knows died of it the last couple weeks as well. The stress of this year and life in general pushed my 25 year old niece over the edge and she took her own life yesterday. Tough times for all. The vaccine can't get here soon enough.

#20539 54 days ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Very sorry for your loss. Was your niece greeting over just the virus or was it over not having a job and having no money?
I realize you may not have an answer for this, but running out of money and no means to get any money pushes people over the edge.

Thanks. It's hard to say. She's had mental illness for a long time. On the outside she looked fine, but I know she was on medication. She had been hospitalized in the past. She had some drug issues off and on. She used to cut herself when she was younger. Covid may have had nothing at all to do with it, or it may have been the final straw. I know we didn't have our usual family Thanksgiving. That's usually at my older cousin's house and he tested positive for Covid last week. Two of my cousins have had it in the last month, but mild symptoms for both thankfully.

She left behind a 5 year old son. It's him and my mother, my sister, and my other nieces that I feel bad for.

#20548 54 days ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I'm sorry to hear about these losses. Hugs.

Thanks. Now is the dilemma. Funeral is Friday. I'm sure it'll be packed. It's SW Missouri where nobody believes in masks. Nothing will keep my parents away and they're 74. I hope this doesn't turn into a super spreader event. Another of my cousins is planning to fly in from Texas. He has a job maintaining medical equipment and is around people with Covid every day. He's planning to take a rapid test before coming, but you can be contagious before you test positive. My wife won't be going, she's high risk and pretty much hasn't left the house since March.

1 month later
#21121 20 days ago
Quoted from hAbO:

Why even comment that only a small percentage get sick then? Its dismissive and downplays the urgency of the Pandemic. Why even try to point fingers and blame people that may not be as lucky as you. Its not just arrogant its ignorant, small and petty.

His attitude keeps changing from flippant to concerned throughout this discussion. He was pretty concerned when he thought his ex was going to die from it in the spring. I skim past most of his posts in this thread now.

1 week later
#21188 13 days ago
Quoted from DaWezl:

Even *if* the vaccine directly caused this death, look at the odds. A handful of bad reactions out of millions of doses already administered. Meanwhile I’ve seen reports in hot spots of anywhere from 1 in 30 to as high as 1 in 5 *currently* infected, depending on location. So, not counting people who were sick back in April or whenever. Out of every 100 people who get sick, something like 10-15 will need hospitalization, 1-2 will die, and 20 or so will deal with long-term after effects.
If you’re going to worry about dying bc of taking the vaccine, it’s like worrying about getting hit by lightning while walking down the middle of the highway. You wouldn’t want that particular outcome for sure, but it’s pretty unlikely to happen to you. And meanwhile you’re exposing yourself to a much more likely threat.

I saw an article on this about a month ago. In summary, it was something like "If a million people get the vaccine, X amount of them will die of a heart attack within a couple weeks". Yet without the vaccine, the same X amount of people will die of heart attacks. The vaccine didn't cause the heart attack.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 10.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 86.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
ArcadeArts
$ 149.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Full Tilt Pinball LEDs
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.
$ 34.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
$ 209.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 229.00
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 47.95
Lighting - Interactive
MicksPinball
$ 90.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 69.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 85.00
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Boards
nvram.weebly.com
$ 104.00
Boards
nvram.weebly.com
$ 100.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider loneacer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside