272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 Important warning Posted by Daditude (4 years ago)

Post #6 Coronavirus website with up-to-the-moment stats Posted by Daditude (4 years ago)

Post #172 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #193 Name of disease and of the virus Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #209 Explains why you need social distancing Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #239 Comment on seasonality Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #251 Avoid ibuprofen Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #370 Info on chloroquine Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #530 News from Italy Posted by Pedretti_Gaming (4 years ago)

Post #693 Important info and advice Posted by ForceFlow (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider justlikeme.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#96 4 years ago
Quoted from wolfemaaan:

So we shut down the entire US over 200 deaths?

Quoted from wolfemaaan:

The damage from shutting down the entire US will far outweighs 200 deaths let alone 2000

Quoted from wolfemaaan:

You’re just making up numbers now. Send the proof. Based on the numbers above, not going to even match the flu deaths

Quoted from wolfemaaan:

That’s clear as mud

Quoted from wolfemaaan:

Here’s what a clear copy looks like.
https://www.visualcapitalist.com/history-of-pandemics-deadliest/
It’s mice nuts on the chart. Let me know when Covad passes swine flu and I’ll be interested. They didn’t shut down the US for SARS
[quoted image]

I'm not smart enough to understand advanced physics. I've also never studied physics beyond our equivalent of high school. On the other hand, my brother-in-law has a PhD in the subject from Berkeley and has worked with NASA. He understands concepts which I haven't even heard of, but just because I'm not smart enough to understand them doesn't mean that they aren't real.

The same thing should apply to you here. Listen to the experts.

#150 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Not saying this won't get worse but we have to understand the current state, compare it to what other virus did, assess the amount impacted and be smart.

I'm afraid there's no point in comparing viruses. Some viruses have a higher mortality rate than others, some transmit more easily than others and so on. Just because they are both viruses means nothing.

It would be like comparing the actions of a house cat and a tiger if you took turns putting one of each in a room full of people. They're both technically cats, but you can't look at the behaviour and impact of the house cat and use it to predict what would happen with the tiger, or vice versa.

#152 4 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

Funny, the more we react to this appropriately (social distancing, shut downs, closing schools, washing hands, etc), the bigger chance we can make it look like an overreaction later.

I hope this does look like an overreaction at some point in the future, but I doubt it. Measuring our efforts against other countries that are further down the road than us - Italy - they did not react fast enough and are having a horrible time with it now.

China and South Korea - their interventions makes our "overreaction" look like a spring break beach party, but they seem to have things under control.

I read something the other day which stuck with me - 'The paradox of the novel coronavirus response is that it only works if we take aggressive steps before they seem necessary and, if they work, will not have seemed necessary. Success will look like we overreacted.'

#163 4 years ago
Quoted from wolfemaaan:

That’s a little better chart. But it doesn’t account for age, health, previous conditions, etc. Face it here. The first chart on this thread says it all. Most people will live, and like the “experts” say old or vulnerable people will not. I’m curious how many Twenty year olds on this thread think this is overrated vs 50+ that are screaming chicken little
Sounds like the facts are in, don’t get this if your old and grumpy. I’d like to see the stats on young healthy people that already got the virus. I bet that number is next to zero

The point that you are either ignoring or failing to understand is the impact on healthcare systems if this virus goes unchecked. At the moment, no country has enough ICU beds to accommodate even the conservative estimates of how many may need to be admitted. That means the healthcare system will be effectively crippled. If the healthcare system is seeing unprecedented demand, and all ICU beds are full, what happens when you are in a car accident? Or you're diagnosed with an aggressive yet treatable cancer? Or any other health emergency that could happen to any one of us, at literally any time?

I'm 33 and in good health. I'm not worried for myself, I'm worried for everyone who could be affected or is at risk. Occasionally, just occasionally you have to consider the impact of your actions on others, and not view the world from an entirely self-centred position.

#166 4 years ago
Quoted from wolfemaaan:

I actually don’t mainly because we are going to die from panic than the disease itself. Nobody is talking about once you survive it, you are cured. So I’m getting in my car, and doing my stuff. Then I’ll come back and you guys will still be running around with your hair on fire accomplishing nothing. Good luck with that

I'm honestly not sure what you're trying to say here. I get that you think you don't think you have to consider the impact of your actions on others, which is wonderful of you, but what difference does it make that once you have survived it you are 'cured'?

That has nothing to do with what happens when the healthcare system cannot cope during the peak - and all measures that are currently being suggested or enforced are focused on lowering the infection rate, which in turn lowers the numbers infected at the peak, allowing the healthcare system to cope and continue treating people who are critically ill - and not just due to the coronavirus.

By the way, and just for future reference - the term you want to use in the future is 'immune', not cured.

#174 4 years ago
Quoted from pinball_ric:

The statement 'once you get over it you're cured' is false. There have been multiple reports of people getting re-infected after recovering.

This is still up for debate - the general consensus is currently that the cases in which this has been seen was likely caused by false negative tests, followed by a correct positive, but I don't think anyone knows for certain.

#197 4 years ago
Quoted from wolfemaaan:

What I’m say is quit trying to apply your panic on me. I’m not telling you to quit running around with your hair on fire, go ahead and do it. Meanwhile I’ve seen enough data and I’m not concerned about this virus. And the facts and data I’m seeing is backing this up. So you do you, how about that?

I'm not suggesting that anyone panics, and I'm not sure why you think I am. I'm suggesting that it is selfish of you to only consider the direct impact that this might have on you personally, and not on anyone around you. I was also pointing out that the potential risk of this virus isn't limited to those who catch it, but on the impact to a healthcare system which in its current state doesn't have the capacity to cope. I'm also suggesting that everyone takes simple precautionary steps to help the greater good.

If you honestly aren't concerned about this virus then you are either only looking at what the impact of catching this virus will have on you as an individual, or you simply don't understand the wider repercussions. Unfortunately, neither selfishness nor ignorance makes you correct.

In terms of 'you do you' - I'm all for personal liberty, but when your actions could directly contribute to harm to others I take issue. Just like with drunk driving.

Quoted from wolfemaaan:

Actually it’s not. You’re cured buddy. No new strains have been detected, that’s why it’s called Covad 19. It is a derivative of SARS and originally SARS-CoV-2
If they were reporting Covad 19 and Covad 20, etc we’re developing then I’d be concerned

If you reread what I wrote I was actually agreeing with you there, albeit with a caveat that more evidence is required - it still seems likely that once you have survived it you are immune (not cured).

#216 4 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

I think the biggest fear is to have it bloom all at once which will overload the system. Kind of a power surge that pops a breaker. The thing is just trying to get everyone on board with just laying low for a while.

Exactly - lowering the peak.

Quoted from wolfemaaan:

Ok, confirmed. So not panicking over 2 strains. If that’s increases significantly then I’ll change my opinion

Ironically, when a virus mutates it normally becomes less aggressive, not more aggressive.

Quoted from PantherCityPins:

This is correct. The idea of flattening the curve is to avoid overloading our medical system in the short term.
Also important to realize that many patients in China were infected by people who were not yet showing symptoms. That’s why it’s important to follow the guidelines for social distancing even if you don’t feel sick.

The worrying part, that wolfemaaan just doesn't seem to be able to grasp, is that both the US and the UK have fewer ICU beds per capita than Italy, where the system is already beyond breaking point.

#223 4 years ago

It's just been announced over here in the UK that all cafes, pubs, bars, restaurants, clubs etc will be closed indefinitely from tonight. Only takeaways will be allowed to open.

Also, another 627 people have died in Italy in the past 24 hours, the largest daily rise since the start of the outbreak.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider justlikeme.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread?tu=justlikeme and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.