272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 Important warning Posted by Daditude (4 years ago)

Post #6 Coronavirus website with up-to-the-moment stats Posted by Daditude (4 years ago)

Post #172 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #193 Name of disease and of the virus Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #209 Explains why you need social distancing Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #239 Comment on seasonality Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #251 Avoid ibuprofen Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #370 Info on chloroquine Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #530 News from Italy Posted by Pedretti_Gaming (4 years ago)

Post #693 Important info and advice Posted by ForceFlow (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gambit3113.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#13780 3 years ago

I'm in Dallas and we are literally peaking right now. 250+ new cases identified every day for the last 7 days, down to 236 yesterday. Texas was under 1000 new cases per day when we started to re-open. We’ve been over 1000 and now 1100 every day but two since.

But we as a state are 49th or 50th in the country in tests conducted, so the numbers are clearly hampered by the lack of available testing. You still have to have a fever or be a front line worker exposed to get approved for testing here. Governor Abbott promised a phased re-opening, starting with the first phase which hasn't changed much in my area because no one wants to go to restaurants. But he jumped the gun on rolling out the next phase, and intends to bump up on the 18th to the next phase. There has been no increase in testing like he promised there would be before we moved forward into the next phases. And in fact, the Fed intends to close shop on two large testing locations locally that provide 1,000 of the currently 1,950 tests available per day to the county. The plan is quite clearly to avoid finding new cases by reducing the number of tests performed, thus avoiding identifying any surges in new cases. And they are coming. The second that we "re-opened" everyone got called back to work and a good segment of people dropped the masks and bothering to distance. Mother's Day was an amazing display of letting the guard down. We are going to spike to high holy hell starting the week of the 24th. June is going to be gnarly.

#13815 3 years ago

Fauci is popular. The administration is not. It’s insanity that they would throw him under the bus, but everyone saw him telegraphing that pitch. Whatever. He’s got bigger fish to fry with Howard Stern.

#13832 3 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Hey man nice to see you back again.

Hey-o.

#13968 3 years ago

85,000 American have died choking on their own lung fluid from a virus, in a little more than 60 days. That's a lot of dead people.

People don't have to agree on everything, but a modicum of caution surely is warranted. Wearing a mask in public is so restrictive and oppressive that we should rather sacrifice another 85K? Another 200K? How many dead people are worth not having to at least wear a mask? Be honest.

#13970 3 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I'll tell you what really worries me. Now that we have seen all these morons that refuse to take simple precautions like wearing a mask in public, it dawned on me that a shitload of these same idiots will probably refuse to get the vaccine if/when one is available.

Yep. But it's nothing new. That's the exact same reason we get a mumps or measles outbreak still here and there. Herd immunity kicks in at an estimated 68-72% of exposure/vaccination. They get to freeload on the rest of us (this is literally the original use of the term freeload, which is ironic) and enjoy a return to pre-pandemic normal activity. It happened after the 1918 Flu, it'll happen again here. But there aren't enough of these guys that are so tough to not need masks (yet require a bazooka to order a sandwich at Subway for some purpose) to make us test that vaccination rate. They are the squeakiest wheels, but they aren't plentiful enough to concern ourselves over hitting the herd immunity eventually.

#13988 3 years ago

To be fair, that billboard has been up long before COVID-19 was an issue. They run a series of signs in a row, like Burma Shave. The one preceding the Risk It For Brisket one says something about holding your pee for a few more miles.

Debate the risks of exploding your bladder and contaminating your innards with urine as you wish. But it’s not that brazen.

#13991 3 years ago

Not my pig, not my farm.

#14021 3 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Hey all, if you don’t have your city and state in your profile, please consider adding it. I enjoy knowing where (roughly) people are posting from, and we promise not to stalk you. Right Pinside?

You first, hombre.

#14033 3 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Ugh, I though if I could see it everyone could. How to make it public?
[EDIT: I think I fixed it, damn I feel silly]

Now you’re cooking with gas.

#14330 3 years ago

It’s a feeding tube.

#14342 3 years ago

Guys, the guy was obviously on a vent. See the tracheotomy scar? That’s a feeding tube run into his abdomen. Let’s quit looking to conspiracy everything.

#14354 3 years ago

Those foam rollers are great. I use one for my ridiculously tight IT band in one leg, almost daily.

#14454 3 years ago

Luckily, even the CDC has relented and acknowledges now that this virus isn't easily spread by surface contamination.

#14462 3 years ago

Yeah, I’m still wiping things down and treating every door knob like a COVID sufferer just licked it. But hopefully it will be a little forgiving to the relaxation of our guard that the fatigue is causing.

#14501 3 years ago

If that 2nd wave coming looks anything like the Fall 1918 wave, the choice will be made for everyone. The virus doesn’t give two wet farts about your or my economy. It’s not about anything but surviving, depending on your risk level, your area’s exposure threat and reality when the hospitals max out.

#14588 3 years ago

100,000 Americans are dead. What’s wrong with you?

#14592 3 years ago

How would we not cruise past 140K? We are picking up steam and exponential growth is happening before our eyes. Just because it took 8 weeks to go from 0-100K dead some of these people are acting like it never actually hit at all. Which is dumbfounding. We shut down and only managed to stifle it to 100K this far. 140K total dead would be a miracle at this point. We will be there by mid June.

#14617 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Bullshit, people arent sick around my area at all. I know a shitload of people and I dont know anyone who has got the coronavirus yet.

Bullshit on you, pal. I know 8 that have caught it, three in one family, three in another, and one is dead. It’s not in your neck of the woods. Awesome. Go to Chuck E. Fucking Cheese if you want. But don’t tell me it’s not bad. And quit spewing OAN bullshit to the rest of us that you don’t know dick about. We’re catching 200 cases a day down here in my neck of the woods. Do you mind if I take this shit seriously? That Ok with you?

#14642 3 years ago
Quoted from srmonte:

So out of the eight, care to disclose the age of the individual who passed?
And yes that is the point. You take this shit however you want. Just don't dictate to me or others what is best for us. Because clearly you don't know what you are talking about either.

He was 54 and otherwise healthy. He was on a ventilator for 16 days. I don’t know anyone older than 61 that has caught the virus. Sorry it doesn’t fit your narrative, but it’s happened. What now?

#14643 3 years ago
Quoted from srmonte:

100,000 deaths is terrible. Pretty sure that there was a death count like this last flu season.

According to the CDC, 2019-2020 flu season killed about 8,200 Americans. Could you be more wrong? Answer: Negative. Ignore with glee.

#14644 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

the pandemic never came.

Please get off Breitbart long enough to find the definition of “pandemic” on that electronic computer device You are using.

#14858 3 years ago

Do you have anything from the AMA from 1951 telling us that red meat and cigarettes are good for us, also? It’s outdated information. What did you want?

#14868 3 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

It was a lie then and now.
What will it be next Month? They have to get rid of acceptance of masks at some point to further implement facial-recognition systems.

Yep. You’ve sniffed it out. 7.79 billion of us are in on this ruse to convince you in Orwellian style to wear a mask for our nefarious purposes. None of us actually read what we claimed to read or saw what we claimed to see. And we’d have gotten away with it, too. If it wasn’t for you meddling true life V for Vendetta‘s on the pinball forum!!!

#15077 3 years ago

Ugh. Dallas County is officially in a 2nd spike now. Record high single day new cases today, record high single day deaths today: 257/16. That’s just Dallas Co. Tarrant County (Ft. Worth and Arlington) is just as bad. Note that it is right at the 4 weeks mark after Texas “re-opened” and 3 weeks post Mother’s Day weekend. We plateaued the week of the re-opening, and held steady for a few weeks and then saw a 25-30% reduction per day. Got down to like 170/day new. Back well up into the mid 200s now and climbing again. And before it is!asked, our testing is still abhorrent and lagging and has not increased for crap.

It’s such a mixed bag around here. A lot of people are really being careful still, and most major corporations are still working from home. But man, there are just plenty of people completely disregarding all distancing measures. I personally know several people that have gone through it, two people that have neighbors dead from it here, another guy that spent 27 days on a vent and miraculously lived (not doing well, but alive) and a guy that is one of the healthiest, in shape dudes I know that currently has it and says you do not want anything to do with this thing. He swears it takes him 10 minutes to get to the bathroom and he’s wheezing out of breath when he gets there and then back to bed. This guy runs 45-55 miles a week.

And Abbott will not relinquish an inch of control back to the local leaders. We get treated like the fly-over counties with 900 people and 6 total cases, just because we vote for other people around here. Shit. Not good, man.

#15110 3 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/coronavirus/dallas-county-reports-200-new-covid-19-cases-for-7th-straight-day-4-more-deaths/2382065/?amp
The 239 new cases announced Wednesday brings the county's total number of cases to 10,958. According to the Texas Department of State Health Services, an estimated 6,687 people in the county have recovered from the virus.

And Abbott plowed right ahead with Phase 3 reopening today, despite Texas just piling on new cases and hitting the dark red on the “states seeing most new cases” map. 75% capacity bars and restaurants, here we come. 50% capacity pro sports arenas! Come to Arlington and see the Cowboys fart and fall down in the Death Star. Come for the 8-8 football. Stay for the pneumonia!

This state is stupid.

#15148 3 years ago

Dallas County’s record high for new cases lasted two days. New one set today! We are in the 280s per day now. With a little luck we will crack 300 by Monday! Oh boy! Who wants Corona? You’re getting Coronavirus! And youuurrrr getting Coronavirus!!!

C90A0B61-37C1-4FC3-B7AB-A5E710415868 (resized).jpegC90A0B61-37C1-4FC3-B7AB-A5E710415868 (resized).jpeg
#15330 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

A handful of states are now at or above their previous shutdown peaks in new cases:
Texas
California
Florida (almost at peak. Approx double the new cases as May 4th when they reopened)
These just happen to be the three most populous states.
A few more smaller states are also ramping up at an alarming rate:
AZ
SC
NC
UT
Since I have been obsessing over AZ For awhile let’s use them as an example below:
[quoted image]

Yeah, we are effed. Houston and Dallas are on fire and nobody gives a damn. Everyone here is too stupid, too proud or too stubborn to take any precaution.

#15366 3 years ago

The safe and warm feeling of holding onto hope that a boogeyman created the virus in order to achieve a nefarious goal is much more comforting than the overwhelmingly most likely truth: shit happens and the Earth throws a purge our way every century or two, we have become far too dangerously reliant on meat sources and live animal propagation to maintain any measure of safety with regard to cross-species contamination, and nobody is in charge and in control other than the dipshits we see practicing dipshitery on a daily basis. Chaos sucks.

#15371 3 years ago

The 1918 mutation was rare, luckily. These things tend to mutate in a way to lessen human immune response, thus become less severe versus more so. This one isn’t going anywhere for summer, unfortunately, though. It’s going to be more of a slow burn than the 1918 second wave head-on crash. But the worst is yet to come, for sure. Parts of Arizona are cruisin’ for a bruisin’ right now. Texas has a shitload of hospitals in Houston and DFW, but those numbers are rising. I’m so much more concerned now than I was 2 and 3 months ago.

#15505 3 years ago

Our number are going up and we don’t have a total number of tests being performed because we have so many private labs that don’t keep numbers. But the rate of positive tests have increased from 4.9% to now over 7.5%. Our total cases discovered numbers have set record high numbers four days in a row and 5 days total last week, and our hospitalization and ICU numbers are increasing steadily. We are in the immediate danger Houston is in right now, but we are drinking straight toward that ditch. And Governor Abbott won’t do a damned thing about it, and will fight Houston when they try to usurp his “Open it up big and wide” order.

#15512 3 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

I believe that the 20s, 50s, and 80s we're the best decades in the last 100+ years of our country.

Prohibition, Ozzie & Harriet, and coked up yuppies. That’s a hell of a mix.

#15580 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Has Brazil's idiot of a president finally come to grips that this virus is some serious business?

No. And neither has ours.

#15606 3 years ago

We are about to have hospitals bursting at the seams, while Abbott tells us that the bodies piled on the side of the road are nothing to worry about because there are still a few empty ICU beds in Dimebox, TX.

#15618 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Hey Gambit, do you root for the Longhorns too?

Went to A&M for undergrad.

#15665 3 years ago

We are in the middle of Stupid Time, Stupid City, USA. We should feel better that we are down around 1000 dead per day??? That’s another 365,000 dead per year, at our low point!! And the numbers in huge states are skyrocketing. New York got its shit under control. Now it’s boiling over in the South and other huge populous states. Texas is headed for disaster in DFW and Houston at a minimum. I’m just at a loss for what’s acceptable. We get what we deserve in this ridiculous country. Lord.

#15671 3 years ago

News is news. 2519 new cases in AZ today. 3207 new cases in FL today. 3516 new cases in TX today. CA? More than 4000. 121,407 dead in the US in 100 days. More US dead than the entirety of the decade-long Vietnam conflict and war. More US dead than in WW1.

News is facts. You don’t like facts? Tough shit. Now, are there channels that report 121,407 dead mothers, fathers, sons, daughters, grandmas and grandpas in a morose and sobering tone? Yep. Are there channels that report it as if the dead don’t matter? Yep. Are there channels worried about another 121,000 dying and reporting as if it’s a terrible omen? Yep. Are there channels reporting that all of science and logic and common sense is a lie so that your portofolios grow enough to make you happy so that you keep your cog in the wheel for the billionaires? Yep.

Pick your poison, but just because you don’t like facts doesn’t mean shit. Other than the rest of us have to step around you in the long, slow march back to humanity and sanity. Darwin will always win.

#15682 3 years ago
Quoted from Powdevil:

Man, I don’t know where you get your news.. I assume CNN.. you don’t get that CNN’s Lemon and Cuomo encourage protestors (spreading the virus) and basically turn their heads to looting and violence on police.. on the other hand Fox’s Carlson and Hannity are constantly pushing for stronger police and military response to disturbances and encouraging attendance to tonights rally (spreading the virus). Most media sources in the US are biased one way or the other.. You want proof of the bias of cable news... sit back and flip channels tonight between CNN and Fox tonight and watch both spin the coverage of Trumps rally. It’ll be almost laughable. I miss real news.. not propaganda.

There is a difference between news and editorialization by those sitting in front of the camera talking over the news. I don’t like any of them, other than Anderson Cooper, honestly. I agree with the OPINIONS on CNN more than I do usually on Fox News, but they don’t speak for me nor do they form my own opinions. I watch all
Manner of TV without being zombified by the scripts.

There hasn’t been a Walter Cronkite since Walter Cronkite. You have to think for yourself. Or watch Nickelodeon.

#15758 3 years ago

I see silver linings and darker linings from the newest data. The death rates are down (from the 5% morbidity that we had seen so far) I suspect due to the fact that this latest peak of the first wave of cases is skewing far younger than the earlier infections. I know our average age of infection here right now is early to mid 30's - from shitheads in bars not bothering to take any precautions.

The tougher development is that the long-term effects on the lungs looks awful for a lot of people. I know a few that have dealt with it, in their 40s and 50s, who can't climb stairs in their house or walk to the parking lot without getting winded severely now. I think that this a lot of us are more committed to never getting this thing than we were earlier on in the ordeal. I, too, was of the mindset that the point of flattening the curve was to space out the inevitability that we were all getting in, and just save the medical system from being overwhelmed. Well, I have a different opinion of it now. I don't want this thing taking years off the back end of my life for respiratory scarring and complications. Additionally, we now know that this thing is particularly bad for blood type A. I am A+, reconfirmed in the past two weeks by test just to make sure. So....I don't want this shit. And frankly, I don't give a damn what any non-epidemiologist thinks or has to say about this. In particular, anyone that clearly approaches everything from a well-honed Breitbart echo chamber rationale.

Regardless, our hospitals in DFW are bursting at the seams. ICU full at UTSW, and they are already moving more beds into the ICU and using the ER as triage at the Baylor and Preby systems. We have a ton of hospitals, but we have too many COVID patients already to take another few days like we have seen the past two weeks. And there is no sign of anything but things getting worse so far.

#15769 3 years ago
Quoted from smalltownguy2:

You're going to have a tough time arguing the following two points:
1. We will likely never see a vaccine, as in the 200,000 years humans have been on the planet, we've failed to develop one for a caronavirus yet.
2. Because of #1, herd immunity is the only path forward.
We all know where your risk tolerance is. Be safe. You do you.

Yeah, that's not a valid point. The vaccines in Phase II trials are effective so far. We haven't bothered with many coronaviruses prior, and certainly never this well funded and dedicated. Most are nuisance viruses at best. The worst have been far less contagious and spread, obviously. This particular coronavirus does not mutate fast. Thus, effective vaccine is exponentially more likely. And ultimately, even if it isn't effective forever in theory, eliminating the virus entirely by herd immunity with the vaccine will, at best kill it off with one round. At worst a few over the coming years.

And it's a nice flourish of the wrist to throw a huge number like 200,000 out there for years we didn't create an effective vaccine. I would counter by pointing out that it's about the amount of time that humans quit wiping our asses with leaves. Vaccines were unknown and, at best, theoretical until 224 years ago. That's relevancy of 0.00112 of the time period you want to argue we should consider. Don't do that. Overreaching exposes your soft tummy. Stick to the dark meat.

I think I argue both points just fine. But whatever. You are right. I have to do me. And right now I choose to believe that the resources produce something that is effective to a greater degree than unmitigated exposure.

#15772 3 years ago
Quoted from dsmoke1986:

Do you work in the hospital there?
Question for you if so, aren't ICU's full because hospitals are fully open for all patients now??

Me? No. A family member? Yep. And a neighbor at another facility.

...and I'm not quite understanding your question. You are suggesting that the ICUs are being crammed full due to the availability of the ER to all patients? Ummmm....what? If someone gets brained in a motorcycle wreck, they get to come into the ER and go to the ICU, whether or not COVID patients are the focus. On the other hand, they aren't stashing non-critical care patients in the ICUs just because they have room there. Hospitals are open for all necessary patients at all times, unless it's on fire, I guess. Elective procedures might have been contributing to less general hospital beds (non-ICU) in the past weeks. But whether Gov. Dipshit has cut them out again or not, the hospitals around here are reeling those back now.

#15776 3 years ago

You can’t compare the failures of vaccination against one virus type to another. HIV mutates way more and in different ways than Coronaviruses mutate. And specifically this one, which isn’t mutating much and very quickly.

#15818 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

In other fake news, the noose found in Bubba Wallace's Nascar garage had been there for over a year before he even used it, so instead of a hate crime, it was some mechanic showing off skills he learned in Boy Scouts.

Man, hurts to miss that one so bad. Geesh.

#15824 3 years ago

I spoke to my buddy that is an internist at one of the big hospitals here this AM. The 3 main systems have ICUs that are now full or will be full within the next 2-3 days. I asked him if he had heard anything about moving to set up the pop up hospital they had plans for at the Dallas Convention Center. His response: “I think pop up funeral homes is the way Texas Government is leaning right now.”

#15831 3 years ago

Florida gonna Florida. We need to start sawing that sucker off.

#15858 3 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

Testing at this point is meaningless. Why? Negative exposed to positive 4 minutes later. False negative, false positive.
All the testing is doing is giving the people trying to control others a propped up means to justify it.
Entering thousands into an invasive Database run by Federal stooges. Generating hyped Headlines when the reality is much less severe.

Yeah, we are out of ICU space and they are moving adults to the children's hospital, and the doctors here are begging us to please stay home and quit infecting one another because they cannot keep up. But imma just tell them to fuck off with that noise because a dude on a pinball forum says it's all fake news. Time to high step down to the mall.

#15895 3 years ago

OAN and FoxNews and the Alex Joneses of the world are telling them that masks are government control mechanisms. And in a remarkable twist of irony, the prevailing argument from the crowd following the absolute morons, crisis profiteers, actors and grifters on those media platforms is that the rest of us are the lemmings that are blindly following the advice of dubious persons. Make no mistake, the most dangerous thing that the US has going for it these days is this: a full 35% of this country is stupid. And I mean really, really stupid. They want to believe they are oppressed, or that they know something the rest don't, or that there are vicious and evil actors controlling the media and the government and the AMA, etc... They want to believe these things because they are stupid and weak, and to acknowledge that there is randomness and unpredictability and chaos in the world would be too much for them to weather. No matter how insane and harebrained the theory is to the rest of us, to them it is just simply better than having to believe that something might just be going to shit because things go to shit. If I have a boogeyman to blame, at least I have something to justify my digging my heels in to hold onto my position and never evolve or think for myself.

#15898 3 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

It's kind of comforting to know that America doesn't have a monopoly on stupid.

Well, fruit and tree, right?

#15907 3 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

I missed that Fox News segment, do you have a link to it?

lol. Laura Ingraham was telling Virginians to sue the state over masks not long ago. Come on.

#15942 3 years ago

Texas just shut the bars again. And cut back restaurant capacity. Abbott should take the word “never” out of his vocabulary and save himself the kind of headache that is coming from the hard stupid now.

#15948 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Pretty shocked. It must be getting really bad down there for abbot and Lt. “All the grandmas I know want to die for the economy” gov. to finally reverse course Like that.
The good news is it’s really not that tough to fix, even now. Everybody just needs to stay home for a couple
Months.

People are pretty worried up here. My buddy across the street runs sheetrock and makes a killing. I stopped and talked to him this morning while I was walking the dogs and he said for the first time since this started, he has had to start sending guys home that show up coughing and obviously sick, and/or that come in telling them that they have a family member that just tested positive. Said he's paying like a dozen guys to stay home right now, because he knows that if he doesn't they will just go catch onto another crew and make those guys sick. He was pretty wigged out about it.

Now, the guys I know in the Houston area? Those guys are shitting bricks.

#16055 3 years ago

601 cases and 20 deaths today in Dallas.

Save yourselves. Just let us go.

#16090 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Dallas county shows 20 deaths today. Tarrant county shows 3 deaths. Since DFW is one big metroplex, what is Tarrant county doing that Dallas county is not? I might as well toss Harris county into the mix with 2 deaths but Houston is not next door to DFW.
What is going on with Dallas?
EDIT: Oh yeah, we are now at 130,074 deaths in the USA.

That was the record for a day, and was an anomaly thus far. 1 was light, though, too. 6-12 is what we've been seeing. That 20 was on a Monday, and i suspect it was when the normal rounds doctors were back on the ICU floor and made the calls to shut some down.

#16233 3 years ago

We have big issues down here, bud. And I’m afraid to say that the rest of the world might have to go at it without us for awhile.

#16486 3 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

So, which state will pass California first in infection rate and death count, Texas or Florida? Their combined case rate is already higher than New York and they are both coming on strong.

Florida gonna Florida. But do not count us out.

#16500 3 years ago
Quoted from Pickle:

I think your math is wrong...3.1 million reported cases in US....135K deaths. That’s just under .5% fatality rate. At 4.5 we should all be scared. The numbers of new cases are going up because there is so much more testing.

Uhhhh.....how are you doing math? 135k/3.1M = .0435 = 4.35%. And according to you, we should all therefore be rightfully scared.

And stop with the “numbers are only high because tests are high” crap. That’s been disproven repeatedly and nobody believes it. Do what you want, but stop vomiting disinformation.

#16530 3 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

There are 2 reasons we can’t just divide deaths by cases to come up with a mortality rate. First, it assumes that all the infected-but-not-dead will stay that way. Second, it ignores all the undiagnosed cases (as Gweem pointed out). What matters to me most is “If I catch this, what are the odds that I’ll have organ damage or be sick for months?” I’m not seeing anything that helps me understand those risks.

Yeah, and we also don't know how many people have died from COVID complications that were never diagnosed or tested. So, in the end, there is a lot left out of the wash. We have the numbers we have. And if we really want to be technical, dividing by a number that includes the existing known cases is in error statistically. You are, by definition, counting existing people on ventilators and headed for death in the case total, but not the death total. We can move all over the place, but I can show you scarier numbers on dead for every way anyone wants to do math the other way.

I think we can all agree that COVID-19 causes more deaths than are comfortable to just live with, and our current guidance and response is lacking to contain this thing.

#16557 3 years ago

Dallas alone was at 1200 today. And have been over 1000 for 8 straight days. ICUs full. People are about to die because we are out of room to treat them, and it sucks.

#16559 3 years ago

A little 4 act piece on COVID:

6A9458C5-E7C3-462F-8B6C-4B9FBAE81142 (resized).jpeg6A9458C5-E7C3-462F-8B6C-4B9FBAE81142 (resized).jpeg6592F7FB-2C08-4EA7-80A2-CFF5B73B7E1D (resized).jpeg6592F7FB-2C08-4EA7-80A2-CFF5B73B7E1D (resized).jpeg26A961DA-1129-4C9E-A606-A4E949070CA8 (resized).jpeg26A961DA-1129-4C9E-A606-A4E949070CA8 (resized).jpeg665E0279-F0C7-4128-8F86-D8BFEB45CA28 (resized).png665E0279-F0C7-4128-8F86-D8BFEB45CA28 (resized).png

#16563 3 years ago

Budesonide is the generic and now OTC form of Rhinocort Aqua. I’ve taken it for years for seasonal allergies. It’s a silver bullet for you if you suffer from severe tree and grass allergies, especially in spring bloom. But I’ll tell you what else I know about it: you need to be on it for a course of at least 5-7 days before the allergens appear, or you get zero relief. It is in no way a drug that treats anything on a prn or acute basis. I find it difficult to believe that anyone would get immediate relief from it for any acute symptom, absent a significant build up in the system. And 12 patients being treated by a Family Practitioner isn’t exactly the most solid dataset. But hey, I’ve got a metric assload of the stuff. If I go down you’ll have your answer.

#16691 3 years ago

Between masks and being outside, the protests seem to have been much less of a problem than the Breitbart crowd would like. If we could just get everything outside for the time being, especially school, I think we would be fine to resume a lot of activities.

#16784 3 years ago

Just a hair under 11,000 new cases in Texas today = new record. 87 dead = new record.

The roof is on fire.

#16913 3 years ago

Houston and Dallas ISDs are going to virtual-only school for the first several weeks now. As if it's getting better and they will be opening in September. Here we go. Time to stay home again.

#16950 3 years ago

Man, I opened a bottle the other day that was straight up moonshine. Smells fresh from the Red River County river bottoms.

#17067 3 years ago

The rate of death cannot take into account the undiagnosed persons without symptoms, which would naturally lower the rate. However, it is a mathematical fallacy to include people still sick and/or treating in the "closed cases" denominator. The people that are going to die tomorrow are counted as a sick number today. If you divide by the total number, including those currently sick, you are artificially deflating the death rate by including them into an equation as lived, when they very well could be counted on the dead.

That said, the death rate is more than 1% and less than 5%. But who the fuck cares? 1% is too many. 5% is too many. Any is too many. Wear your goddamned masks. We don't care if you don't think that you can't filter out every small micron. They are working, when we can get everyone to wear them. Every study says so. Quit being contrarians about something that has been scientifically proven to reduce spread and stop these peaks. Seriously. The shaming is going to get worse if you don't become good neighbors and citizens. You don't get to smoke in the car with the windows up and your kids in the backseat anymore. You don't get to lock your dog in a hot car anymore. And you don't get to walk into stores and busy public indoor places without masks anymore. Get used to it. We don't give a shit about your objections.

#17077 3 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

A box of N-95 3M masks cost 16 dollars.
I would like to see the scientific study of the 70% effective rate of a doubled t-shirt. Sounds like Horsesh%t.
These cheap thin blue "Surgical masks" are garbage too. The aerosolized breath just blasts out in a 360 degree pattern away from the mouth and nose. Then potentially infected air is breathed through the same leaks.
We might as well admit we are just jumping through regulatory hoops, going through the motions to appear to be doing the right thing. These home made rags are not a serious tool for fighting virus transmission.
A condom with a 30-70% effective rate is rejected as defective. The comfort from seeing one put on is illusory.

Why don't you believe in science? What is the research team in your laboratory conducting that contradicts every legitimate scientific source of information on viral control on this thing? Can we expect the study soon? Will it be peer reviewed by the Army Navy Store in West Va? Wear. A. Damned. Mask. And. Stop. Whining.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/21/health/covid-19-three-things-will-stop-it-wellness/index.html

#17103 3 years ago

For the first time in 19 days, Dallas County reported less than 1000 new cases today. Deaths are ticking up, but the catch-up was inevitable with the numbers between 1100-1250 a day the last 3 weeks. But fingers crossed we may be plateauing on the spread.

What’s it being attributed to locally? Mask compliance. Huh. I’ll have to alert the civil authorities that fabric masks don’t catch every single virion and are thus useless. I heard it from a reliable source.

#17227 3 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

Yup, cause they never find any new adverse side effects once a medication / vaccine is released into the public.
You line up ..... I'm going to give it a few months

Truth is that the elderly, the military and the high risk are going to be the guinea pigs for this vaccine. Those of normal health and risk will have no choice but to wait a few months, and by the time our opportunity comes we will either have proof that it's safe or we will have zombies.

#17261 3 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Are you trying to make me cry?
Within the last two weeks I had tickets to see Rage Against The Machine and Guns n Roses. Both are bucket list concerts, I was very excited for both of them. Both Bands don’t have the best track record with touring regularly. Both shows delayed for a year with the option for a refund or wait. We decided to wait, they were tough tickets to get in the first place. I really hope axel and slash can keep it together until after the tour.

I saw RATM in Astro Arena in Houston in 1997. Drove down from college. We were on the front row of the floor standing room GA area, against the fence. Well, until I got booted in the school from a crowd surfer behind us and I crumpled like a sack of rocks. Had to go get checked out by EMS on the side of the stage for a few minutes, but they let me go back into the crowd. I was concussed 100% and don’t remember a ton about the last half of it, but that show was amazing. And the loudest thing I have ever experienced.

#17382 3 years ago
Quoted from RonSS:

So again, why haven't we been mandated, or at least strongly urged, to wear masks during the flu season?

Because influenza is a wholly different animal. It's not as contagious as this virus, and certainly not by the same mechanisms. Just because something is effective for one virus does not mean it is an effective preventative against another. That is NOT a difficult concept to grasp. The people claiming to just "have some questions" are full of shit. This is a complete inability to differentiate between entirely different strains of entirely different disease. Do you also go to the zoo and demand that the tigers be kept in the aquarium, because crocodiles are also man eaters?

#17420 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

After all that has been going on and after the Covid has passed on by, what will happen a couple of years down the road, if during flu season I want to wear a mask? Will the stores still allow mask or are they going to think I'm there to clean out the cash register?
My feeble mind thinks that if a mask is about the best all around option for dealing with Covid then a mask should be just as good for the flu. Or a cold. In the future, I think I will always have a mask within easy reach and if someone comes up to me with a runny nose I am going mask up.

It's a brave new world. Masks will stick around after this thing runs its course. I suspect flu season will be full of masks from this point forward. Although I think that the handwashing and sanitizing protocols are going to be more important to deal with influenza, but I also think that hand shaking and direct contact with non family members will be a thing of the past for many people, too.

#17604 3 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

1.3 million people marched in Germany to be free from oppressive covid restrictions. Looks like the MSM isn't really covering this story, as expected, since it doesn't follow the approved narrative.
They all will probably be written off as neo-nazis.

Or 17,000....whichever. Every media outlet in Europe and Germany is saying this was less than 20,000 people claiming to be 1.3 million. And you are here lamenting that someone isn't reporting your made up number? Who is pushing disinformation on whom here?

They also hurt cops. But don’t you acknowledge that fact. That won’t work for you, either.

https://www.dw.com/en/germany-45-officers-injured-at-berlin-rally-against-coronavirus-curbs/a-54402885

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8583397/Thousands-protesters-join-march-against-coronavirus-measures-Germany.html

So a country of 83 million people (with a fraction of our cases), who shut down from the start and stayed on top of the virus, now has "thousands" of protesters taking to the streets and getting trashed by local news agencies? And? What does this prove, other than your propensity to over exaggerate that which you think bodes well for your unpopular opinion? The organizers touted 1.3 million, much like someone we know in this country likes to claim big numbers that are objectively proven to be ridiculously overstated.

#17627 3 years ago

Eh. Humans do overall. 29% of Americans don't. I avoid that 29% like the plague.

#17686 3 years ago

Yeah, let's not address mental health issues in a constructive and safe way. Instead, let's open the doors and pretend like everything is normal, and let other kids die, or take home COVID to infect and kill other people, so that the kids with the depression can be placated without mom and dad getting off their asses and parenting.

Any discussion of a public interest in preserving life for any child of any age by the right, under any situation from this point forward, is purely discredited, debunked, and untenable.

#17733 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Spare me the 1st amendment crap. These houses were not in compliance with the locals who trying to stop the spread of Covid. If shutting off utilities is what it takes then that is those houses tough luck.
Way back in earlier times, entire families were quarantined to keep the spread of whatever disease was trying to kill everybody.

The "we have God given rights for EVERYTHING" argument is so ridiculous. No you do not. If you actually want the right to live unfettered and unencumbered by any obligation or restriction, I have a map to Somalia and a canoe for you. Get to rowing and go become a pirate in your new lawless utopia.

#17823 3 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

Thousands in the streets in every major city of the World. Seems like everybody is protesting something. Evidently the message of fear didn't get through. Supposed to be a Pandemic and people are doing exactly the opposite of what was recommended, gathering in large groups in close quarters.
What is this, the lemming effect? A subconscious desire to commit suicide? Or people have studied the danger and don't take it seriously? Perhaps they just don't care anymore.

Oh, they are not. You talk about being in the middle of nowhere, out in the country, where "everyone" is also moving as fast as they can, too. You haven't bothered to respond to the countless people that posed questions directly to you about your 1.3M vs 17,000 snafu above. If everyone is fleeing the cities, how are there just countless millions in them to do this protesting? Cake and eat it, much? Nothing you say is true. It's a pattern. We all know it. Look at your posts here. The downvote to upvote ratio is staggering.

#17841 3 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

I answered the 1.3 million estimate error in Post 17710. This figure is still thrown about on many of the March videos, I didn't make it up.
This Thread has been fun, from the early days when it had another Author, the Dark Days of the virus, till now.
It appears to be winding down, as it should, for after all Pinside celebrates fun, something like this can be( and has been) a burden for the Mods. I wish all of you the best. Please forgive me if I offended you.
Tomorrow is a new day. Live it accordingly.

This thread is winding down, just like the virus is disappearing, huh? You have posted in this thread 323 times overall, and 9 times in the past 72 hours. That’s far and away the majority of your posts in that time period here. That’s winding down to you? You have offended me, and this IS a headache for the mods, for sure -- but in huge part because of the blatant misrepresentations and outright falsifications from you and a small handful of others. This thread has become a constant battle against absurd gas-lighting, fact distortion, regurgitation of scientifically disproved arguments and/or outright lies, and blatant pushing of poorly formed opinions as facts.

Sorry. I don’t just leave it alone. Not my style. Go on about your business as well. Just don’t expect me not to call this out when I come across it.

#17899 3 years ago

Rex Chapman's Twitter got popular for his Block or Charge series of posts. And some of them were the funniest things I've ever seen on Twitter.

#17995 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

CNN has a video with Anderson Cooper and the MyPillow guy. I think the guy is full of more shit than a Thanksgiving turkey. You may have a different opinion.
https://www.cnn.com/videos/business/2020/08/18/mike-lindell-anderson-cooper-coronavirus-therapeutic-mypillow-sot-vpx.cnn/video/playlists/top-news-videos/

That MyPillow guy makes my skin absolutely crawl. Ugh.

#18098 3 years ago

DFW is actually getting so much better and safer now, too. Ugh. I'm afraid we will see complacency again and that the fall and winter wave is going to be really nasty. This sucks so much.

#18189 3 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

This really underscores why it is important to understand how diseases work in the body and why people tend to die from diseases. You could do the exact same thing for pneumonia, heart disease, kidney failure, cancer, etc.
Mortality from most illnesses increase as comborbid conditions increase. That's basic medicine.
It has nothing to do with how dangerous COVID-19 is to our society or whether mitigation measures should continue.

Doc is of course right on the money here. Not that the contingency that really should pay attention will or can. HIV itself has never caused one death in all of its recorded history. The virus replicates, becomes uncontrolled, and leads to AIDS and a host of co-morbidities that eventually kill its host. See: pneumonia complications causing death in AIDS patients.

#18242 3 years ago

How about just calling it horse shit? Because that’s what it is.

#18330 3 years ago

The percentage of positive tests can only be based on the total number of tests performed. How many tests are positive? The number of county residents? What does that have to do with anything? If they didn’t get tests, they aren’t part of the equation.

1 week later
#18546 3 years ago

Lol. Oops.

1 week later
#18718 3 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

So what is the magic number of deaths that we need to get down to per year before they stop making masks mandatory and leave it up to personal choice?

Zero. Until then, fuck your choice.

#18729 3 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

Such an emotional response with no logic involved. I bet you apply that emotion every time you get in a car and risk being one of the 40,000 killed every year.

I’ve posted 85 times in this thread over the past months. Many times at length and with patience. Go read through them if you give a damn, because frankly I no longer have the slightest of patience for ignorant bullshit such as what you are peddling. Otherwise, see the good doctor’s response above.

#18746 3 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

I asked a logical question that the majority of people in this country want an answer to. You're triggered for some reason, I'm not here to waive the anti-mask flag so just chill.

And I answered your question. Zero. Zero unnecessary deaths is the number.

______ days since the needless erasure of someone else's mother/father/child/loved one's existence off the face of the planet forever, just because I am a selfish, narcissistic, callous and heinous piece of monkey shit.

There. The higher the number we achieve, the better. We start at 1. God help us.

#18768 3 years ago
Quoted from smalltownguy2:

I understand your point, however, you DID choose your field of work.

This is an ice cold take. What the fuck?

#18775 3 years ago

Some people suck.

#18814 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I can't imagine there's anybody in the country at this point who believes any vaccine released this year will be anything but rat poison.

You clearly haven’t been watching the Stock Market thread. The old investment guru over there thinks the magic bullet is out tomorrow.

#18822 3 years ago

My personal prediction is that the first doses of vaccine will be given to healthcare workers sometime around Feb-March.

That sounds very realistic. And is still a laser-focused, super efficient and lightning-quick development. That transverse myelitis case was really a concern, and they have all certainly been back peddling on any suggestion of the October Surprise assist for Trump. I don’t know what he’s intent to stick into someone’s are by 11/3, but it won’t be a vaccine for COVID-19.

#18855 3 years ago

Went out to grab some stuff yesterday, and hit the Super Target in an area closer to Daditude’s side of town. I go there b/c since March/April I have seen total compliance with the mask mandate and no overcrowding issues. Not yesterday. For the first time. It was overpacked, a ton of families with all the damned kids everywhere, and masks were half-assed. People with them pulled down under their chin, several people that would just hold it up to their mouths as you got near them, some just had them hanging off their ears. It’s a damned shame, but the numbers are clearly about to go up again. Here we go.

#19021 3 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

I read he's having trouble breathing. I could also believe it's all a hoax to garner some sympathy or delay the election.

21F3DFAA-D6E0-4B8F-8E6E-BB765E0A8927 (resized).jpeg21F3DFAA-D6E0-4B8F-8E6E-BB765E0A8927 (resized).jpeg838F9541-0675-4117-BB16-147272394B09 (resized).jpeg838F9541-0675-4117-BB16-147272394B09 (resized).jpegF5374FEB-9904-40BF-9B21-D2C19AAB5D2C (resized).jpegF5374FEB-9904-40BF-9B21-D2C19AAB5D2C (resized).jpeg
#19040 3 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

Is that a portable oxygenator? Just saw it on a replay. Good catch.

It is. And it means that they coifed him and put him in that suit for show and to hide that bottle and line, which he needed just to make the 60 foot walk from the WH to the helicopter. That’s different from supplemental oxygen being given at the WH for “precautionary purposes.” That’s more like he had to go to the hospital because he needed hospital care beyond the considerable abilities of those available at the WH, and that walk to Marine One was everything he could muster.

And who the fuck is downvoting me for pointing out pictures of something objectively present and obvious? Bet that dude also thinks Joe wore a wire at the debate. What a joke.

#19219 3 years ago

Fucking A. If you don't like the filters and censoring on a certain site or platform, move to another. Or build your own. Lord.

#19251 3 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

So you'll be happy when you have an "echo chamber"?

No, I will be happy when the liars, the willfully ignorant and the morally corrupt go the fuck away.

#19347 3 years ago

My 19 year old nephew has it, and first exhibited symptoms 11 days ago. He's been sick as shit. Fever and headache and cough. Luckily he somehow managed to not spread it to his brother or dad, who he had been around in the days leading up to his symptoms. He was around my sister and my mom at a baseball game the day before he got sick, but not in their faces and obviously outside - and it was windy and sunny. Everybody is coming out of quarantine now that was around him and luckily all seemed to dodge it, but that kid is healthy as a horse and it's really had him down.

#19380 3 years ago
Quoted from RonSS:

I think your percentages are off, or your target group.
I believe those percentages apply to "infected" not total population.
217k deaths out of 330 million is about 0.07% chance of random death by C19.
1189 x 0.0007 = 0.83, or about 1 Pinsider.
At least according to my math.

Your math is nonsensical. It's been explained a hundred times in this thread as to why. You don't divide by the number of people that didn't get it. Why would you do that. other than to artificially deflate the numbers? That is not how statistics work. At all.

#19435 3 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

Yeah so lets go unreasonably way to the opposite of extreme, and artificially Inflate the negative numbers like some simple peanuts do!
Explanations that "explain" little to nothing, and don't add up, make no sense.
There are way way way more actual infected people out there, than some number of positive tested cases. There is no possibility that every case of Cv19 out in the world is identified or tested. Far far from it. There are Way more infections out there, many times more, than we can confirm.
C'mon guys, try to use some grey matter.

So....we use the number of tested positive because it's the number we have. Not hard.

#19436 3 years ago
Quoted from RonSS:

Again, I'M NOT THE ONE STATING THAT. Sorry to yell, but I'm being misrepresented here.
The numbers I'm applying are INFECTED PEOPLE DYING. The numbers that were being applied were infected dying given to Pinside members - as a whole - not infected.
Doc, again, we agree.

I like your manner of disagreeing, then really really insisting that you are agreeing, then making it clear you are disagreeing. Zig when they zag, zag when they zig.

#19478 3 years ago
Quoted from cnuts13:

and leave me alone if my lack of a mask kills your grandma, too bad

I wish everyone that lacked any moral compass or compassion so easily identified themselves.

#19561 3 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

"As of 3:00 pm October 20, 2020, Dallas County Health and Human Services is reporting 510 additional positive cases of 2019 novel coronavirus (COVID-19) in Dallas County for a cumulative total of 90,790 confirmed cases (PCR test), including 1,089 confirmed deaths. There are 38 additional probable cases (antigen test) to report today for a total of 4,669 probable cases including 13 probable deaths. Of the 472 confirmed cases we are reporting today, 268 came through the Texas Department of State Health Services’ (DSHS) electronic laboratory reporting (ELR) system, and all are from October."
Me: we are now seeing many hundreds of new cases each day, unfortunately.

Parkland's Red Box Unit has seen a tripling of the number of COVID cases admitted in the past 3 weeks. The director said yesterday that, since we lag 2 weeks on hospitalizations, we are likely already almost back to where we were at our worst and that we are in the middle of a second, bigger spike currently. We just don't know it yet.

8 months later
#23257 2 years ago

This was always a race to inoculate before mutation. That’s what viruses do. Another wave coming.

#23272 2 years ago

Man, we aren’t going to get to herd immunity down here in the dumb South.

3 weeks later
#23599 2 years ago

I love when dumb doubles down. That’s my favorite part.

#23645 2 years ago

1) The governor here can go [edited] himself. I hope he takes a bad case and gets rolled off a cliff.

2) Every restaurant, bar, and other food service establishment here has a HELP WANTED sign in the window and can't get the help they need. Still.

#23731 2 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:LA man who mocked Covid-19 vaccines dies of virus

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-57958358

2077FA70-09AF-4CE6-95D0-FA0B1276836A.gif2077FA70-09AF-4CE6-95D0-FA0B1276836A.gif
#23737 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

A radio host who mocked Covid now has Covid.
https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/23/us/radio-host-vaccine-trnd/index.html
"For months, conservative Nashville, Tennessee-based radio host Phil Valentine has repeatedly made posts on multiple social media platforms telling his fans that if they weren't at risk for Covid-19, they shouldn't get the vaccine."
"Phil contracted the Covid virus a little over a week ago and has since been hospitalized and is in very serious condition, suffering from Covid Pneumonia and the attendant side effects," the family statement reads, which emphasizes that Valentine has never been an anti-vaxxer. "(Phil) regrets not being more vehemently 'Pro-Vaccine' and looks forward to being able to more vigorously advocate that position as soon as he is back on the air, which we all hope will be soon."
---------------------------
Maybe he will live and maybe do some good on the vaccine front.

607EEA59-C4B8-4B4B-ADAE-90B863A14C38.gif607EEA59-C4B8-4B4B-ADAE-90B863A14C38.gif
#23755 2 years ago

We don’t report until Tuesday now, and give a three day total. And nobody is masking here now - even in the blue areas. They think we have herd immunity because of one report from one hospital. Meanwhile our numbers are going up exponentially.

#23815 2 years ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

I guess your party is a good example of how well these vaccines work?
Everyone at the party is vaccinated, one guy shows up unvaccinated, now EVERYONE has it. So which vaccinated person gave it to the unvaccinated person?

Or is the fact that everyone that was vaccinated and contracted it nonetheless has a mild case a better example "of how these vaccines work?"

He also didn't say that everyone vaccinated contracted it, now did he? Read the post again. Then again until you get it.

#23819 2 years ago

My understanding is that the Israeli study is under some scrutiny and the results may not hold up vs other larger studies. 39% efficacy does not jive with what we are seeing real world here in the US. I suspect it is higher than that. It would also depend on how much of the viral population is felt I guess, I’d be surprised if it was only 40% effective against delta though.
Here in north Texas the large majority of cases are unvaccinated. The CMO of Parkland hospital in Dallas was on the news a couple days ago and said of the 70+ COVID patients in their hospital all of them were unvaccinated. ALL of them.

Totally anecdotal, but I do know a surprisingly large number of people also in the DFW area that have breakthrough cases. But they are very mild symptoms for the vaccinated in all cases.

#23912 2 years ago

The Wal-Mart by me shut for 3 days last summer when they had a big employee outbreak.

#23971 2 years ago

Texas' governor issued a blanket executive order that says no governmental entity or state funded entity can mandate masks. Period. And fuck him for it.

#23984 2 years ago

Highlight the portion of that story that details the "variants being brought into this country" by undocumented immigrants. Because that's what you were responding to - a post regarding someone's relative having a baseless opinion about, specifically, variants being introduced into the country by people coming over without documentation. That being said, I don't want to hear about what "might" be brought in, or what you want to spin this into politically. I want you to point out the relevancy of your posted article to the quote you selected to respond to, specifically. Detail it for me.

Spoiler alert: a simple CTRL + F search on that article page tells me that the word "variant" is not found.

#23987 2 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

The only thing this guy sort of predicted was a booster shot and to be fair, people were talking about the prospect of a booster even back then and before. So if anything, he is a decent parrot.
He whiffed on the government takeover of anything didn't he? Please direct me to the things the government has taken over and is distributing for free, because I still pay for everything.
Also called a second nationwide lockdown and so far - no lockdowns as far as I can see. Please show me the nationwide lockdown?
Also completely missed on Vaccine effectiveness? The unvaccinated are the ones largely dying.
Also he looks like the kind of guy that skips leg day. Try again.

All they care about is the part where the numbers "didn't change." But, those of us that can read and write and have opposable thumbs understand that the numbers decreased when measures were undertaken, then rose when they were loosened. And they REALLY don't want any attention paid to the natural tendency of viruses to mutate and evolve when given the chance, thus meaning that the progress we enjoyed with early vaccination distribution is now being negated and is backsliding because of them. No. They just want you to look at the numbers being high again. then they get to call this guy Nostradamus and play "Told Ya So", ignoring the fact that in all actuality 85% of what he says is total bullshit and never happened.

#23994 2 years ago
Quoted from poppapin:

Variant's, that's your issue? Never mind the fact that positive cases are coming into the country? Allrighty then.

Me!?!? You picked the post to equivocate and shoe horn your neat little article into. Yes, I expect you to be able to address the very subject of the post YOU chose to pick out of the litter and respond to with a link to an article. You made variants your issue when you picked a post about variants to try to respond. Not my fault your reading comprehension skills are where they are, pal.

#23997 2 years ago
Quoted from telmnstr:

Are you talking about the people in India when they recently had the outbreak? The monied bought fake "all clear" test results and fled. To Canada, to USA, to wherever.
The US Government paid for the gain of function that led to the worldwide outbreak in the first place. Don't we deserve whatever we get?

So you guys really buy that stupid shit, huh?

#24068 2 years ago

You can always stay home in protest and not show anyone anything. Land of the free, after all.

#24119 2 years ago
Quoted from TRAMD:

1. "It's just two weeks to flatten the curve."
2. "It's just a mask."
3. "It's just a mask mandate."
4. "It's just a vaccine."
5. "It's just a vaccine passport."
6. "It's just a vaccine mandate."
7. "It's just an anti-vax camp."
8. "It's just an anti-vax prison."
9. "It's just a technocratic autocracy."
I'm curious where some of you draw the line and will no longer say "It's just..."?

Easy. Between 6 and 7.

#24177 2 years ago

Not going back to find the question to quote here because it’s just not worth my damned time. However, if you go to Tractor Supply Company, buy horse de-wormer, ingest it because grifters and the compulsively stupid told you there was good science in favor of doing so, then end up shitting your innards out and dying on the john like Elvis or toxifying your kidneys into oblivion, you deserved it. You should be mummified and exhibited in the Potomac Atrium of the Smithsonian Museum as a precautionary tale, in fact.

#24243 2 years ago

https://fullfact.org/health/ivermectin-covid-treatment/

"Merck, one company that produces Ivermectin, said in February 2021 that it had examined the findings of “all available and emerging studies of ivermectin for the treatment of COVID-19”, and the analysis has concluded that there was:

“No scientific basis for a potential therapeutic effect against COVID-19 from pre-clinical studies;
“No meaningful evidence for clinical activity or clinical efficacy in patients with COVID-19 disease, and;
“A concerning lack of safety data in the majority of studies.”

Manufacturer That Stands to Profit: This shit isn't safe.

Dude on the Internet: Hey, take this shit.

Manufacturer That Stands to Profit: No, no. Don't take this shit. Really. Those sources are sketchy as hell.

Dude on the Internet: Let's take all this shit we can find! It's great!!

#24245 2 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

This drug is for very specific doses for some parasitic worms, in ANIMALS and there are topical (on the skin) formulations for head lice and skin conditions like rosacea. NOT COVID. It is NOT an ANTI-Viral drug for treating viruses.

Its been removed from Youtube because its being touted as a treatment for COVID and MISINFORMATION. Stop getting advice from Quack-A-D@@ Voodoo Chicken Doctors.

Lol. It was written in disappearing ink!

#24263 2 years ago

25 ICU beds left available in Dallas County tonight.

#24458 2 years ago

Turns out that Ivermectin doesn’t do shit, after all. Who would have guessed?

https://www.latimes.com/business/story/2021-08-11/ivermectin-no-effect-covid

#24459 2 years ago
Quoted from frisbez:

Your CNBC article is from May of 2020. Maybe look for a more recent source? (I don't think you'll find one)

Lol. Also breaking...we landed on the moon!!

354E8EE9-21C7-4B3F-814F-BBDE4F305CB8 (resized).jpeg354E8EE9-21C7-4B3F-814F-BBDE4F305CB8 (resized).jpeg
#24517 2 years ago
Quoted from BrianJ1337:

The website is a meta analysis of 62 studies that is correct. They also update as each new study comes out. Each study is linked at the bottom And will tell you if it's peer reviews double blind etc.
Most if not all of the studies it analyzed were peer reviewed with control groups and have the same standards as any other study. Hence why they even included bill gates funded research.
I've read most of them and again I think it sounds pretty positive. At least as positive as the mRNA vax is to me.

Meta analysis of 15 cases knocks your socks off? Man, I have some meta analysis of about 15 Pinsiders that I'd like to share my report on about now.

#24540 2 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

For Prince/Purple Rain fans-
[quoted image]

Got COVID? Why don't you purify yourself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka?

#24724 2 years ago
Quoted from Xenon75:

Someone explain this to me please. I have very painful and intimate knowledge of someone dying from a car accident 2 weeks ago. Clearly and without a doubt from the trauma of this accident. Post mortem doc did a covid test and was positive. Death certificate cause of death - covid. This is a complete and utter lie. So please what is the explanation for marking someone died as covid when clearly (sorry for the graphic description) they died because their head was collapsed in from the car crash?

COVID is listed as the only cause of death? Not being confrontational here, but truly interested if you have actually seen the death certificate? That sounds like exactly what the CDC has assured is not happening. I do know that COVID is listed even when found post mortem simply for recording purposes, and only the primary cause is used for death statistic purposes. From everything that has been published and answered on this topic, yes your acquaintance will be counted into COVID statistics as being a positive case, but the death will only be counted among traffic fatalities.

#24745 2 years ago
Quoted from tommyp:

Also bouncing in cold like the above post - my perspective. Skimmed about 2 pages..but my thoughts in order:
1) It's been fast tracked, not approved. Note..there is a definite difference. The people that take the vaccine ARE the clinical trial. There were no long term studies (typically 3 yrs), no side effect knowledge. Nothing. Minimal studies on efficacy then it was "TAKE THE DAMN THING FOR THE GOOD OF THE WORLD!! DONT BE SO SELFISH! My spidey sense went up immediately.
2) People are getting rich off these. I know because I raked in about 4 Stern Prems of the Novavax vaccine that didn't even make it to market. If you think the politicians aren't betting on the stocks prior to the shock and awe of the scare tactics..you ain't all that smart.
3) Do they work? Probably. But. People are getting re-infected that had them. They have literally no fucking clue how long they work for, when they need boosters, or any long term side effects.
...for those of you keeping track so far, the government pushed a drug down your throat based on scare tactics that probably worked while they lined their pockets based on minimal clinical data, with no regard to long term effects.
4) I had it. I avoided the world for about a year best I could, and like many I know I got it. 38, high BP and some sinus issues. I had what felt like a sinus infection, followed by wanting to die for about 3 days due to ache and fatigue, then had a cough and aches with congestion minimally. Overall it kicked my ass for about two weeks.
So - someone is gonna tell me i should take a drug, with no long term effect study, that people are getting rich off of, that half of them wont even take themselves? Plus, if I take it, no one knows how long it lasts for and I can still get sick?
Not saying it doesn't work, not saying it doesn't help, but am saying it's based of minimal fact (obviously growing daily as all the sheelple provide scientific feedback) and more question than answer if you think it through - likelihood of death or severe long term impact on the chance I caught the disease wasn't worth it to me. Had I had a ton of pre-existing conditions or cared for sick/elderly my answer may be different.
Thanks but no thanks. Think for yourself. Question "authority".

pajamakid (resized).jpegpajamakid (resized).jpeg
#24905 2 years ago

An observation:

When it is convenient the doubter crowd insists that otherwise natural or other-occurring deaths are being recorded as COVID deaths illegitimately. The common example is the MVA victim that tests positive postmortem, and had COVID listed on the death certificate.

Also, when it is convenient, the same crowd insists that the vaccine is causing deaths, despite evidence and documentation of other cause of death. The screaming example of this is Tucker telling his viewers about a man that died 12 hours after receiving his first vaccine dose, failing to disclose that the man’s vehicle was hit by a train. Also, I am sorry, but statistically it is impossible for someone to personally know multiple people that died (actually) from vaccine complications.

This is called wanting your cake and eating it too. Pick a lane, fellas.

#24922 2 years ago

I love that the line for the Doubt Crowd is "it probably won't kill your kid." Like that's the acceptable line for anything that isn't this stupid, cry Freedom!, politically charged lightning rod - or literally anything else other that this subject that they have so much ignorance equity invested in now.

"Here, serve this food to your family. Your kid will get sick and feel like dogshit, and will be quarantined from school and miss two full weeks of instruction, leaving him behind and playing catch up for a semester at best. But he probably won't die."

"Uh, no thanks, Chipotle."

#24961 2 years ago
Quoted from Jamesays:

My antivax Brother from another state just called to say hes coming near me and wants to visit.Hes a trucker no vac.I want to see him as I rarely get a chance but I may have to say no thanks.Any thoughts

Outdoors and stay a fair distance apart. Unvaxxed aren't coming in my house these days. Sorry, not sorry.

#24989 2 years ago
Quoted from Flyfalcons:

If your vaccine works then why wouldn't you see him?

pajamakid (resized).jpegpajamakid (resized).jpeg
#25031 2 years ago

I’m starting to wonder what they are putting in the water in Pennsylvania.

#25037 2 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

Anybody else read The Primer? Young, vaccinated, and now on a ventilator. This sucks….
https://mobile.twitter.com/MikeTagliereNFL?utm_source=Iterable&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=campaign_2762169

Saw that about an hour ago and it shocked me.

#25053 2 years ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/francis-mossman-actor-in-spartacus-and-the-horizon-dies-at-33-1234999761/
[quoted image]
Looks like it worked, he won’t be able to catch or spread anything at all anymore.

Let's talk about this one real quick. He didn't die of COVID. Nothing in any story, including the one linked, suggests that COVID played any role in his death, whatsoever. The family statement, while not identifying the cause of death, says that he had "old scars and trauma" that he was dealing with while not working. This clearly implies that he died of suicide.

But you are posting this to further your narrative that the vaccine is useless. You are no better than Tucker Carlson telling viewers that people are dying hours after being vaccinated and not disclosing that their causes of death have nothing to do with the vaccine. No different. This is misinformation, you are intentionally being obtuse and spreading this drivel. Gross, dude.

#25160 2 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

You can’t put a price on my freedom! Wait what?
[quoted image]

This is the way. Freedom? Sure. But freedom ain't free, bitches.

#25275 2 years ago

I didn't want to air my laundry while I was fighting it, and really while I was actively irritated and scared for my kid's fight with it (under 12), but in full disclosure I just finished what has been a 21-day battle of quarantine/illness from COVID Delta running through my house. I will stick to the facts in detailing the ordeal and let everyone pull their own conclusions and opinions from my experience:

1) My wife is an elementary school nurse and we knew the risks when we made the decision for her to go back last year, when in-person school kicked back off. Masks were required all of last school year, and about 30% of her school attended virtual learning. She made it through the entire first semester unvaccinated and without contracting COVID. She received her first dose of Moderna in December '20 and second in January '21. She made it through the second semester innoculated and without contracting COVID. This school year kicked off with no mask mandate and no virtual learning option - 100% capacity and about 70% of kids were opting to wear masks. She made it 5 days before contracting COVID. Her vaccine was just over 7 months old.

2) She was exposed by an unvaccinated special education teacher that never wore a mask to any faculty meeting or in her classroom during instruction. That teacher contracted COVID and came to school with symptoms, teaching for 2 full school days before finally reporting to my wife that her throat had been sore and she had a cough. My wife administered a rapid test which was positive, confirmed with PCR next day. That weekend 3 special education students fell ill, two with Downs Syndrome. One of them ended up in ICU for 10 days and will not be allowed to return to school for the remainder of this year. The teacher is currently in ICU. She has co-morbidities.

3) My wife woke with fever over 102 three days after testing the teacher, maintaining fever over 101 for four full days, and had sinus pain, congestion and dry cough. She lost taste and smell for three days, with both returning within 10 days. Her symptoms got better on day 5 and she was relatively recovered on day 7. My son and I quarantined to the complete opposite side of the house. I masked with N-95 and encountered her as little as possible.

4) My son has severe ADHD and we returned him to in-person learning in November of '20. Masks were mandated and apx. 50% of his school attended virtual learning throughout the year.. Being under 12 he was not vaccinated. He avoided contracting COVID for the entirety of the '20-'21 school year. He woke up with 101.5 fever on the fourth day of my wife's illness. No prior symptoms presented. He maintained fever for four days, reaching a high of 104.5 twice. Ibuprofen would break the fever under 100, but acetaminophen would barely touch it. He lost smell for 3 days. He experienced nausea for the first two days, dry cough, sinus pain and congestion. His fever broke on day 5 and all symptoms vanished overnight, save for the dry cough that lingered for a few days.

5) My daughter (22 yrs) never experienced any symptom and never tested positive despite being on the same side of the house as my wife and being exposed to her up until symptoms presented. She was Moderna vaccinated in May.

6) I felt like I had a head cold starting on Day 3 of my wife's illness. That drainage moved into my chest and I had symptoms of bronchitis beginning Day 5. I felt generally unwell on Day 7 after my wife first experienced symptoms, and I tested positive that same day. My symptoms worsened that night, with bronchitis being the worst. The next day I experienced the worst sinus pain I have ever felt. Every inch of my sinuses were inflamed and I felt like my head was going to burst like Scanners. I was congested in my head and chest. My joints ached but my temperature never exceeded 99.5. My wife heard fluid in my chest and made me breathe deeply and cough a few times over the first couple of days of my illness. I felt pretty cruddy for 3 days and not great for another 2. Sinus congestion/pressure and productive cough remained for a few days, but have mostly cleared. I had no other symptoms, but lost taste and smell. Taste slowly returned to apx 50% of normal. I still have zero ability to smell. I have sinus headaches that continue, but I have sinus headaches from allergies pretty often.

7) I was Pfizer vaccinated in April and am in my early 40s.

1 week later
#25529 2 years ago

Dallas County saw 2500 positives and 10 deaths yesterday. We haven't seen numbers like these since the dead of last winter, when we were at the worst point. Guess I am pleased to have some added immunity right now, but it's bad here. It's bad here for many, many reasons, in fact. Send thoughts and nudez.

#25573 2 years ago

Man, Rolling Stone needs to be fired into the sun about now. That’s unforgivable.

But, as to the overall impact on the issue, even a 25 : 1 ratio of articles detailing truthful need for more vigilance to stop the spread is still an overwhelming amount of objective evidence.

#25626 2 years ago
Quoted from bonzo71:

Im reading it as hospitalization with covid, not from covid.

What if it means hospitalization with covid and not from covid? If an unvaccinated person ends up in the hospital due to an injury and tests positive for covid, do they appear on the chart? I looked on the website and could not tell.

If you are “hospitalized with COVID” it means you are hospitalized because of COVID. (i.e. Hospitalized with traumatic head injuries from a motorcycle accident doesn’t mean “hospitalized for _______, but also happens to have traumatic head injuries from a motorcycle accident.” It means hospitalized because of traumatic head injury.

#25644 2 years ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

If you have COVID and decide to drive to the hospital and die in a car crash on the way, you died because of COVID and that death will be added to the “numbers”
This is why so many people (outside of this thread) laugh at the numbers.
And be careful before you argue this because if the car accident scenario is removed then you gotta remove all the other things that killed people other than JUST COVID, which would make the numbers so low you’d question things and be labeled a conspiracy theorist.
If you slip mowing and cut off your toe and go to the ER they want to know if you’re vaccinated. If you are not vaccinated you end up as a count in the unvaccinated list as if a shot would’ve kept you from having an accident while mowing.

Nope. We're done.

#25691 2 years ago
Quoted from Friengineer:

So I'm curious how the pandemic ends and society heals. Right now there are two groups: vax vax booster + and no vax ever. The former loves the government/Biden the latter hates government/Biden. So how can we ever end the pandemic while it's so politicized?
Biden ordering all businesses to make employees get vaxxed is only going to galvanized the other side that much more.

It ends by one of:

A) The virus continues to mutate and becomes another version of a common corona virus cold.

B) The virus mutates into something far more scary and Group B vaccinates.

C) The virus mutates into something apocalyptic and kills us all.

As to society? It doesn’t heal. Not completely. But Group B becomes smaller and more insignificant and more angry and militant. It’s going to make for an ugliness that becomes a part of our culture.

#25706 2 years ago
Quoted from chad:

Out of curiosity, has anyone turned on the "Covid 19 Exposure Notifications " app that was forcibly installed on to everyone's cellular device quite sometime ago? Have you had many updates or Contact Tracers speak to you Thanks!

Are you also concerned about the Amber Alert or Blue Alert notifications that were “forcibly installed” on your “cellular device quite sometime [sic] ago?” Or the U2 album that was also “forcibly installed” on your “cellular device sometime [sic] ago?” Just curious.

#25722 2 years ago
Quoted from chad:

Interesting on that u2 install. That was well before I even had one of those flat screene phones.

You had a CRT phone prior to that time?

#25730 2 years ago

Lol @ "my news source is the comments section."

#25749 2 years ago

Pennsylvania, man. Pennsylvania.

#25774 2 years ago

I still don’t have much of my smell back from my bout in mid-August. Maybe 10-15% of normal at this point. And sometimes I experience a phantom smell that is pretty overwhelming, which I can only describe as the smell of frying something in hot oil in a cast iron stove. When that happens, I can smell nothing else, and the phantom burning smell I experience is always exactly the same.

#25784 2 years ago

Guys. Enough validating this nonsense with acknowledgement, much less discussion. Click the button and be done.

#25787 2 years ago

What’s the Snowman’s problem? Speak up. Let’s get all the conspiracy theorists and the truly lost out on the line so I can do this in one fell swoop. Enough is enough.

#25800 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

There you have it folks.
Concrete evidence the sheeple are allowing themselves to develop giant impotent sheep balls!!!!!
Don’t be a sheep. Be a free thinker with tiny, working balls who gets their medical advice from social media.
The anti vax movement makes for some strange bedfellows, that’s for sure.
[quoted image]

Perfect. Her cousin in Trinidad. Trinidad, home of Obeah. Voodoo spell casting, which is just about as sound and well-reasoned as the “Do your own research” crowd here that can’t figure out where/were, a/an, or to/too. *chef’s kiss*

#25861 2 years ago

Wait, this guy won a lawsuit over COVID restrictions and the spoils of his victory ended up killing him?

E5D53764-E9E4-4284-BE2F-A5ECF740AC5F.gifE5D53764-E9E4-4284-BE2F-A5ECF740AC5F.gif
#25917 2 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I think it has to do with crowds. If I sneeze with COVID outside without a mask, I can easily infect several people if they’re within a few feet of me. Personally, I’ll just avoid crowded situations until this is over. Easy for me, since I hate crowds anyway.

Not to be Debbie Downer, but are we sure this is going to ever be over?

1 week later
#26097 2 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

New research: More than third of COVID-19 patients become 'long haul' cases
According to researchers, among the long-COVID-19 symptoms reported, anxiety or depression was No. 1 (15.49%), followed by abnormal breathing (7.94%), abdominal symptoms (8.29%) and fatigue (5.87%).
"So, they are respiratory, physical things, but there's also brain-related things that are probably because the virus comes in and attacks through the nose, and the nose is part of the brain, really. So, it's not surprising that a lot of cognitive attention, anxiety, depression symptoms follow that," Dr. Suzanne Rybczynski, associate chief medical officer at the Kennedy Krieger Institute.
https://www.wbaltv.com/article/covid-19-long-haul-long-covid-study/37794158

You can count me among those abdominal issues group. I have stomach and GI issues and have all my damned life. But I’ve had random bad abdominal pain and symptoms I had never experienced prior, since my breakthrough bout in early August.

I did finally get my smell back. It’s not 100% back to normal, but I can smell things generally again.

2 months later
#27408 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballizfun:

I didn't say anything was skipped at all. just that it was rushed. When the c19 vaxes came out they had zero data on possible long term effects and efficacy. This justifiably concerns some people. When people say "well you got a measles shot" sure, most everyone has, but most of those people didn't get it in the first 3 months it existed. Not 3 months after it was released, but just after it even was thought up. There is clear long term knowledge of that and other major vaxes. Having a developed knowledge base quells the concerns of most reasonable people. And even with things like measels and smallpox and the long establised history there are idiots who refuse them.

The polling tells us that those not having received any vaccine for COVID at this point indicate that they have no intention of ever receiving one. There is a fine line between the "I want to be cautious about this new concoction" crowd and the "I'm not taking it and it's none of your business why" crowd. And by this point, the polling on this issue says that the "just being cautious" crowd has dwindled. Anyone still refusing really seems to be refusing for reasons wholly unrelated to the actual medical science. They will say anything to build a more foundational case, but it's just us vs them now. At what point can the rest of us take them at their word that they will never, ever, ever, ever, ever, nana-nana-boo-boo get this shot because of freedom and flag and eagle and God?

#27556 2 years ago

I had no smell at all for a good 6 weeks after COVID, then it was definitely off in a manner for several more weeks. I suppose it has returned to normal now. I got a phantom smell that was like oil burning on a really hot pan - kind of an odd metal-y smell - during the time I could smell nothing at all.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gambit3113.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread?tu=gambit3113 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.