272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 Important warning Posted by Daditude (4 years ago)

Post #6 Coronavirus website with up-to-the-moment stats Posted by Daditude (4 years ago)

Post #172 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #193 Name of disease and of the virus Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #209 Explains why you need social distancing Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #239 Comment on seasonality Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #251 Avoid ibuprofen Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #370 Info on chloroquine Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #530 News from Italy Posted by Pedretti_Gaming (4 years ago)

Post #693 Important info and advice Posted by ForceFlow (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flynnibus.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#3260 4 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

How can this great nation be so exceptional if a couple months out of work tanks the whole freaking country?

Because we are a consumer society - not a country of sustainers. Virtually the entire economy is based on the production and consumption of services and goods to sell to someone else. The vast majority of the country must be able to consume or sell to sustain it's status quo... you take away that loop of purpose and money.. and the whole thing implodes.

We are not a society of self-sustaining, or even locally sustaining entities. We rely across the board on items that come from afar.

People's purpose and daily substance relies on this economy of selling and buying.

#3973 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

False False False
In 2019, the NSC estimates 38,800 people lost their lives to car crashes. 107 per day.
The CDC lists flu deaths at 34,200 for the 2018-2019 flu season, so 94 a day (not flue )
268 people died from COVID-19 in the US yesterday. And the curve is accelerating.
Stop spreading false narratives and wake up!!

You are comparing an average over a year to an absolute measurement (not averaged)

#4052 4 years ago

There are many valid reasons and scholarly texts describing why the electoral college is antiquated, unfair and unfit for this democracy. How the country is MUCH much different now than then, and why it existed in the first place isn’t relevant now.

Last I checked... we were still a union of states- not one federal unit.

#4060 4 years ago

Doesn’t make my point any less valid.

Yes it does... because, like the makeup of the senate... the design is to ensure the simple majority don’t dominate. Yes how each state names it’s electors etc is funky etc... but the idea of a straight popular vote nukes the protections of the smaller states.

Electoral college is not perfect by any means.... but it serves a purpose over popular vote.

#4292 4 years ago

If you like things the way they are, that’s your prerogative. Agree to disagree.
Why should smaller states be protected exactly? Why should the will of the people be based on geography?

Because it is not based geography- the states are separate entities. Maybe in your brain the idea of a state is immaterial and just something transparent- but thats not how our country was setup and very intentionally so. Our country is a collection of separate states - not one big state with just local governors.

#4902 4 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

”far-UVC light cannot penetrate even the outer (non living) layers of human skin or eye; however, because bacteria and viruses are of micrometer or smaller dimensions, far-UVC can penetrate and inactivate them. We show for the frst time that far-UVC efficiently inactivates airborne aerosolized viruses, with a very low dose of 2mJ/cm2 of 222-nm light inactivating >95% of aerosolized H1N1 infuenza virus. Continuous very low dose-rate far-UVC light in indoor public locations is a promising, safe and inexpensive tool to reduce the spread of airborne mediated microbial diseases. “
From an article in Nature
This proposal does not seek to completely remediate the virus from all parts of the lungs, but could eliminate the large clusters shown in the main airway from x-rays of patients.

Dude.. you're trying to cite findings about AEROSOLIZED work... and the safety concerns mentioned about UVC at DISTANCE... to applying it INTERNALLY where there is no epidermis or even dermis at all to protect cells.

Short wave length UV-C light is mean stuff. This isn't your stranger things blacklights... This is destroy cells stuff.

#5804 4 years ago
Quoted from lifefloat:

Post #5753 with the video of the guy who has his diploma in the background as validity that he is a doctor......did anybody notice that the
bookcase with the fancy gilded books on the shelves is a poster? Who hangs a poster of a bookcase up behind them? A real doctor? A person who really likes books but can't afford them?
I'm not hating on the guy but it just struck me as a little odd.

No odd... an obvious attempt to try to create credibility.... reason enough to not even watch the video

#5813 4 years ago

62000 flu deaths over a 6month flu season = 340 a day
The US is going to be topping that number for corona and keep climbing. The virus spread really hasnt hit the full country yet

In addition - you can see how the load impacts the medical system... because its not built to handle this NEW surge in addition to the normal load.

The system is built out to handle the load of the normal flu. We are not built out for this new load... thats why change was necessary to avoid a massive stackup that results in much higher death counts because treatment can’t be reached.

#5826 4 years ago
Quoted from wrb1977:

This is not a flu argument...you must not have read the whole thing. I realize this IS worse than the flu...more contagious AND new. I support and am practicing 100% of our precautions and actions and in many ways I feel we could be doing more. Many people are not listening to what we are being told to do and it infuriates me.

Yet... you only respond to the posts that tear you down... not to the posts that answer the questions you pose....

So one has to wonder if you actually want the answers...

#5880 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

if you ever get a chance, try to get someone to give you a tour of one of your local TV channels where you can see a TV set for a news show. On TV, it looks all glittery and upscale. But up close you will see some of the backdrops are held together with scotch tape. The news caster is sitting there with his/her jacket and tie on while below desk level he is wearing a pair of Bermuda shorts and flip flops. And on either side of the set, you will see the brick walls of what is basically a warehouse building..

Missing in your whole comparison is the key point... the point that the backdrop is INTENTIONALLY CONTRIVED. It's setup to project some image or thought. That's the point. If you're doing that in your youtube video... it's because you're trying to project something.

TV stations do the same - but for different reasons. If you found a TV station trying to roll images of 'credibility' or 'awards' in their backdrop... you'd probably have similar skepticism on why...

#6325 4 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

I cant believe it took Florida until today to announce a stay at home order.

And it's a garbage one at that... when you look at the details

https://www.flgov.com/wp-content/uploads/orders/2020/EO_20-91.pdf

https://www.flgov.com/wp-content/uploads/orders/2020/EO_20-83.pdf

#6329 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

The part of that I would fear is the medically induced coma laying there to die.

Nope - you just suffocate from lack of oxygen.

#6628 4 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

It's conspirational thinking

just give the guy 12hrs... he'll get himself booted from the thread soon enough. There is no point trying to help show those kinds of people the right path... they are on their path because of what they want to believe, not because of what they learned.

#6647 4 years ago

da fuq... who pointed the conspiracy forum to this thread...

#6762 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The captain of the USS TEddy Roosevelt "relived of his command?" That seems odd.
Any of you military folk wanna tell me if that seems appropriate?
https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/02/politics/uss-roosevelt-commander-relieved/index.html

They probably pinned the leak of his letter on him...

#6870 4 years ago
Quoted from CanadianGamer:

I thought the US still had freedom of speech? Apparently not so much. Is this true that clubs and bars censor your speech? Crazy.

You don't seem to understand our laws. Freedom of Speech is to ensure the government doesn't silence you... nothing to do with individuals banning activity in their own space.

#6878 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I've never heard this. Maybe it's a 'plaque' on a wall, but it would be tough to enforce unless people start throwing punches.

Bars have been known to throw people out for the kind of music they play on the jukebox... they'll have no problem removing people stirring up debates they don't want.

#6892 4 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

Huh... for playing a certain song from the actual bar's jukebook

Want to start a ruckus in a bar full of rednecks? Play 4-5 songs of hip hop or rap in a row... or maybe some latin music.

Not everyone 'prunes' their internet jukebox fully...

#6942 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

The coast guard already started rejecting cruise lines calls for sick passenger removal. Cruise companies who are not US flagged and do not have their headquarters in the US were told to contact the country they are flagged in for help (usually Bahamas) or contract a private rescue company.

...about 60% right.

They told the ships to be ready to stay off shore indefinitely and be prepared to tend for their own. All evacuations would now have be approved. The coast guard could not secure shore side medical treatment and the company would have to prove they've secured their own transportation and medical treatment for the patient once brought to shore for an evac to even be considered. They were also told they should check with their own flagged country --first--

The actual bulletin attached...

MSIB 20-001 COVID-19 Cruiseship Medical Capabilities_Signed.29Mar20.pdfMSIB 20-001 COVID-19 Cruiseship Medical Capabilities_Signed.29Mar20.pdf
#7066 4 years ago

o
Unless these are like 4 week cruises, I mean, WTF? Should anyone that got on a cruise ship after the first week of March be given any special consideration whatsoever?

Remember there are hundreds of cruise ships cycling all the time. The main ships are never idle unless in refurb. The ships that are out there mostly did leave right before the shit hit the fan. Some of these were cruises that were supposed to be 2 weeks... trips all the way down south america etc.

Don’t forget how quickly this situation escalated in the US... days.

#7068 4 years ago

But if cruise lines are trolling the way Levi posted they are, fuck. 80 year old people are susceptible to that BS

That was an old story... basically boilerroom talking points on their sales agents in one call center. It was from the start of the crisis before the shutdowns were starting.

#7245 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

smh....I was going to say if I needed advice on taxes...but...now I'm not so sure.

It's like the pandemic... people are slow to catch on.. but once they do, they'll wonder how they didn't act sooner

#7337 4 years ago

Flatten the curve... ignore the baiting and stupidity

pinside is there for you with the n95 stupidity mask... available in unlimited supplies... click on an avatar to get yours.

#7740 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Anyone else notice more and more restaurants now closing indefinitely versus just being open for carry out?
An owner of a local restaurant chain around my area said they will "save" more money staying closed then only being open for carryout.

Of course.. when your business is not take away driven... it's not going to magically transition fully to it. Business tanks... margins plunge when you pay delivery services, etc. Many simply can't make it work given the revenue they're getting. When you can't make enough in sales to pay for your costs... you close.

The new SBA loans and grants coming out now help make this choice easier as well.

The 'we'll do take away' was a desperation move by most... trying anything vs total shutdown. But not all can make it work, or get enough volume to make it sustainable.

#7984 4 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

Think about this for a second....
a) China has the most advanced facial recognition systems and citizen surveillance systems, in the world.
b). The owner of Zoom is a Chinese billionaire.
c) every school in america is using Zoom because it is free
d) In a matter of a few weeks, Zoom has a screen shot of nearly every single American child that can be used for facial recognition and surveillance moving forward.
Now back to your regularly scheduled pinside red vs. blue circus....

jesus will you stop with this total horseshit?

The founder of zoom is a Silicon Valley vet who yes, is of Chinese birth. He's been in the industry for over 20 years working in Silicon Valley for webex, cisco, and then left to start zoom.

Your idea of how facial recognition works is neanderthal.

Please go back to whatever conspiracy circus you came from.

#8082 4 years ago

That is contingency planning being sensationalized by media.

Its not happening.... (yet)

#8886 4 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

I’ve heard that reported by Tucker Carlson and Bill O’reilly. The line seems to be, these people were on their last legs anyway, something would have killed them. The stats in NYC seem logically to point to covid...if they normally have 25 dead in homes, and now they have 200-300? What’s happening now that might cause that? Birx and Fauci just addressed this contention of over counting and said it’s false and has no basis. Seems like political messaging.

It's just another example of some taking a slice of truth and misapplying it to push certain platforms.

The truth is, yes, there are disparities in how deaths are counted across the literally thousands of different entities involve. But that doesn't mean they are NEFARIOUS differences... nor does it necessarily mean the deltas are materially significant to the overall numbers. Just because item1 is true, doesn't necessarily mean anything else said in the same claim is.

But just having that sliver of truth is all the pontiffs need to spin FUD about 'is it really that bad?' and rather than actually look into the points raised... people take the FUD and run with it.... because again, it re-enforces what they already want to believe.

Once again, #DetailsMatter

#9132 4 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

Maybe it's just me, but someone should maybe let that guy know there is a pandemic going on and he shouldn't be worrying about TV ratings.

But then he wouldn't be camacho...

#10273 4 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

How much money is ANY company in America spending to influence your spending choices? Is there some specific reason pharmaceutical companies should be exempted from that? This is what I don't understand. Why is a company treated differently than any other company just because they make a medication?

Just as it's your responsibility to spend your money wisely despite the barrage of advertisements you see every day, it's also the responsibility of the doctor to give his or her patient the best drug for their issue

That last line is the key point... its on doctors to remain grounded in what they practice. But doctors are humans too...

Of course the reality is there are multiple options in how to treat many things.. and the doctors have a role in what they prescribe. Getting the word out and encouraging use is the job of the reps. It is very much a PUSH market. Pharma spends BILLIONS in the US on advertising every year. Pharma has armies of reps pressing on practices to embrace their products.

I know this topic somehow has struct a nerve with you as if it's a challenge to your objectivity or something... but how can anyone deny the scale and persistence of pharma reps in the field? I mean come on... it's an entire stereotype of it's own for the type of young people they'd hire in.

#10283 4 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

Oh it’s an issue for sure. I’m not saying it isn’t. My issue is with the word kickback. It implies a quid pro quo system between pharmaceutical companies and doctors and that simply doesn’t exist in modern US medicine.
Yes drug companies market their products. Yes they hire good looking people to do so. Yes, there are issues with the pharma industry that need to be addressed. No, it’s not a quid pro quo system.
My patient’s inability to get medications due to cost or insurance restrictions pisses me off just as it does my patients.

I think the conflict is over some inference that is some 'universal' thing. Like everything, talking in absolutes is usually a source of conflict

There is a lot of room for 'steering' behaviors - even if not directly involving a 'kickback'. There are always people looking to slip through the cracks...

I don't think the conversation was about doctors being corrupt... but more about doctors being influenced and swooned. Like I said, it's on the professionals to remain professional and objective

#10284 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

The things about the drug companies that chaps is that if I buy my scripts from Canada, it is implied that I am buying from a 3rd world country. And then when the virus hit us all, I find out the drugs are Made in China and India.
A months supply of Crestor costs approx. $235.00 month. In Canada, the same money will buy you 3 months worth of Crestor. Big favors are being called in from the drug companies. I do not expect drug prices to get any better in the U.S. Screw 'em. I'll keep Canada on speed dial.

You could make the same argument about pinball machines... It's not really fair to compare local prices across international markets when you don't take into account the different constraints and things influencing those prices.

Just like you can't just blanket rag on the store in the mall that charges more than the very same store that charges less out in the boonies. Prices are a reflection of multiple factors - not simply cost of goods.

#10548 4 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

Except that the pharmaceutical industry hasn't handed out any of that stuff for over a decade now.

Yet most charts on the wall... every model... they all are branded to the pharma products

#10563 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Threads a total cesspool.
We’ve gone full circle with those in denial repeating the lies and misinformation from the top, and now we are being invaded by Jesus freak conspiracy theorists.
Have fun guys, and good luck. I pray you live in a state with a sane, competent Governor.

Makes you wonder if someone stopped posting with one account... to start with their other...

#10886 4 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Maybe it’s a Canadian thing, or a community thing, but I don’t see how a gun would help me or my neighbors in a disaster. I don’t fear people around me, and will help them out best I can. I’m not on my own, I know my neighbors.

Do only your neighbors ever come to your area?

The problem is the scenario where law enforcement is only reactive - or simply not able to respond at all. Desperate people do desperate things... and when there is no fear of law enforcement intervention, the threshold of what people are willing to do increases.

Simple example... rioting... or looting. Those things happen because of the intersection of falling consequences and desperation/opportunity

#10888 4 years ago
Quoted from Murphdom:

I’m glad I don’t have any debt. Apparently there is a loophole in the the stimulus plan where creditors can seize the money.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/5136596002

tax refunds wouldn't have been exempt before. So I think this is more theoretical than practice. They would have had that problem with their refund in prior years too (assuming they don't owe). Those that are getting paper checks probably would cash and be aware of this anyways.

I think the concern is meritus... I just don't think people are likely getting burned by it.

#11070 4 years ago
Quoted from Mizzou0103:

Let me take a stab at this. The news department at Fox still has some good journalists in it. Chris Wallace’s Sunday show is excellent viewing. Fox definitely lost a good journalist when Shepherd Smith left. CNN has Jake Tapper and Jim Acosta who have been trashed by some folks, but they are very good at their jobs. The best cable news, and TV news viewing in general are the Sunday morning shows. If you just watched a sampling of those, you’d be super well informed.

Here's a simple indicator... if the show is a single person just monologuing about things - it's not going to be a good source of anything except a platform.

The monologue delivery is used because it provides a single stream of uncontested content. The narrative can be laid out and traversed without having to defend or face opposition. The hand picked 'guests' whose role it is to reiterate and support the narrative are just a tool to support the narrative being laid out - they aren't an actual open dialogue of other views.

When they do it on TV/Radio you only have their interpretation of the information they are supposedly citing. You don't see the actual sources - at best only things in snipets. You have no immediate way to check their sources. They use this to their advantage to pass distortion or selective interpretation as credible sources.

And when it's a real slant... there is no obligation to be objective... and they use repetition and filtered perspective to pump ideas. They rely on horrible logic and argument techniques and just beat people into believing it's a rational way to support the conclusions or challenges pushed. The one way broadcast model uses this lack of accuracy checking to their advantage to move right past 'close enough' facts to build larger ideas and conclusions based on that.

It's no coincidence in the format these talking heads use for their show. It's all part of the toolset.

Doesn't matter if it's left leaning or right... It's a downright manipulative, horrible format to get information from.

#11658 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Elton’s no spring chicken not a big deal. He coulda made armpit noises for 3 minutes it would be fine.
If we
Are keeping score I think he sounded a lot better than Paul McCartney.
Mick of course distant first in the oldies division.

Yeah Jagger came across as all world.. especially against the rest of the lineup. Vedder sounded great, but on a funky composition.

#11727 4 years ago
Quoted from zpinman370:

Yes but what if the US gave China the $$$ to the lab that actually created the virus if it holds up to be true??

International collaboration and cowork is common. Don’t take one fact to mean something else.

#11992 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

You do realize that we are kind of joking don’t you? You shouldn’t take this stuff so serious. Its good to laugh. I mean i really don't want a tranny reading bedtime stories to kids but its kind of funny in a way at the same time. I mean its really not funny at all but........nevermid lol. Im so dammed confused that i dont even know what the hell that I'm even saying.

Maybe funny to you... but this topic actually has been taken very seriously by many.. including threats and movements trying to bar such activities

#12190 3 years ago
Quoted from SadSack:

A couple of Doctors' opinions that are parallel with mine:

Couple of Doctors making statements that are stretches and immediately countered by the people they were talking about
https://www.turnto23.com/news/local-news/public-health-responds-to-comments-made-by-accelerated-urgent-care-doctor-about-reopening

#12378 3 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

But, devils advocate, two points. Hospitals, with the exception of NYC, have been far from over run. In fact many have furloughed nurses and doctors for lack of patients. So if that's the goal, why haven't those areas been reopened

This trope is so tired...

1) The hospitals adapted a ton of capacity to be stay ahead of the demand. The 'demand didn't materialize because the hospitals aren't overflowing' spin ignores the fact CHANGES WERE MADE to stay ahead of demand.. and in the hard hit areas it still was only barely enough.
2) The 'only NYC' point is outright false. The 'slice of truth' is yes, not all spots are hit as hard as the areas like NYC.. and the vast majority (by numbers) are not overwhelmed because the vast majority of the country doesn't have the same scale of outbreak. But where they do.. like Detroit and others... they too were overwhelmed
3) The oft cited "then why are they laying people off" is simple misuse of information. Medical Systems do a wide range of things. Simply because one category is busy, does not mean all categories are busy. The resources used for one type of patient treatment are not universally interchangable with other needs. Your physical therapist isn't going to be a lot of help treating COVID patients. Now apply that idea to EVERYTHING Medical Networks handle... and you can see why shutting down non-essential activities means that yes.. even Hospitals are impacted and need to reduce staffing/services.

#12385 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Did you forget the part where hospitals were barred from doing elective surgeries in order to be ready for Covid-19. Elective surgeries are hospital bread and butter. The hospital profit machine. So, the hospitals have been shut down like all the other businesses. No revenue.

No, I just didn't list it explicitly. Simply lumping all that together under the stuff 'that isn't COVID 19 treatment'. The PT example is used to make it obvious... because if you use something like surgeries people get wound up arguing that those doctors should be treating COVID patients. Not really grasping the whole concept of specialties. It's much easier to use an example they can't munge

It's not even worth getting into the financial discussion with them... they think hospitals just shit money. Not being bothered to understand how some areas are very costly, and are offset by other areas that are more profitable. And this whole elective-shutdown has nuked the more profitable portion while the 'very costly' portion runs wild.

But they'd rather just focus on 'see, I saw there was a layoff... so they can't be busy...'

#detailsMatter

#12395 3 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

But to your point, if hospitals geared up, and are now generally not seeing patients, Covid or otherwise

Not sure how you got 'not seeing patients, Covid or otherwise' from that. You need to stop thinking of hospitals and medical systems as some singular thing. One side can be very busy, another side is empty. That was the point. Being busy treating Covid is not enough to support the entire business model the medical provider is built upon. That's why you see layoffs and changes.

Just like a restaurant doing carry-out isn't enough to support their previous business model... so people like waitstaff and bussers were being laid off.

Quoted from robertmee:

why not open back up to elective surgeries?

For the same reasons they stopped elective procedures in the first place.

High risk population, high contact places, non-essential services, and it was competing with things needed for essential care like PPE supplies.

#12407 3 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

I'm just going by what others in the healthcare industry are saying. I readily admit, I'm not a hospital administrator, nor pretend to be. I can understand your point about hospitals having vast specialties, but is that really the case with more rural hospitals?
https://www.newsweek.com/most-us-hospitals-are-empty-soon-they-might-closed-good-opinion-1500028

The topic about rural vs other areas is not really a medical industry topic - but one wound up rather in the larger discussion of "is the shutdown right for all places...". But what is specific to health care is those rural hospitals are far worse equipped to handle these kinds of pandemic patient loads than their larger peers. So they are more vulnerable... but if the patient load doesn't appear because the region isn't impacted... it's preparation for naught. But that's why it's about the larger topic - not health care.

As to your linked article... you should look more at what/where and article comes from.. not just their sales pitch. That's an opinion piece pleading to end shutdowns because it puts people out of work... from someone who... wait for it... is the head of hospital staffing company! The shutdown specifically cripples his business. And he gives no reason to support his argument in that article except for the point of "its putting people out of work" (like the people he makes money putting into roles). It's a completely self-serving piece without any supporting points to the argument beyond "shutdown = people out of work".. Yeah Thx Capt Obvious M.D.

Be more skeptical of your sources... look into where their argument comes from and how they support it. And look at who is writing it and their possible motivations.

Everyone wants the shutdown to end... just getting a piece published saying so doesn't mean there is more valid reason to do so (or not!). Gotta look into the arguments about why (or why not!)

#12497 3 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

It's not a strawman argument....there are those I've talked to that believe we must keep the stay at home orders in place until a vaccine is developed

There are also people that believe the world is flat... Just because there are some that hold those beliefs it doesn't mean we need to embrace them as representative of rational people in the discussion.

The informed parties all recognize that the vaccine objective is not the only metric to hang everything on because of its uncertainty and at the least, the duration needed.

#12502 3 years ago
Quoted from smalltownguy2:

I feel like that's the elephant in the room that no one's addressing: what if a vaccine is NEVER completed? I mean, it's a real concern.

It is a very real possibility - which is why none of the people really evaluating these things are using that as the criteria for return to 'normal'

We will adapt... change the way things are done... change our expectation of public safety... and more. There are many things we can't control that will kill us - but we find a balance of expectation and actions to be able to function day to day. We may have to deal with more permanent changes in some things.. either expectations or actions. We'll just have to see how things progress.

#12514 3 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

So those people don’t go shopping for food and water?

Do you spend hours next to the same people when shopping?

Why do people have a hard time grasping prolonged exposure to a source increases the likelihood of transmission?

#12563 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

First, there were not enough N-95 masks. And we were told we don't need to wear masks, at all. I'm not sure how many drank that Koolaid, but eventually, people starting making their own masks out of any old kind of cloth laying around the sewing room. The authorities start telling us we need to wear masks and more and more homemade masks start coming on strongly.
And now, this: " First responders say KN95 masks are not as advertised."
https://www.boston25news.com/news/health/first-responders-made-china-kn95-masks-are-not-advertised-according-mit-researchers/WKU2LIMY5FGTPNFY5M2Q3E53SY/?outputType=amp
"The Brockton Police Department sent out a memo warning all of their officers about the Chinese-made KN95 masks, saying the masks aren’t really protecting them against this deadly virus."
" An email update sent out to officers said that tests conducted by MIT researchers determined that “they should have a filtration efficiency of 95%, but they tested at 28.1%.″
===========================================
My question(s): If this mask KN95 is not any good, what the hell chance does grandma's homemade mask have in providing protection?
It makes no sense.
What little trust I have had with the government putting out honest information has, rightly or wrongly, evaporated.
=========================================

Simply put -- 'not all mask debates are over the same thing'

#12576 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

My point is the cops don't feel safe with their batch of masks, so why should anybody feel like they are doing any good by wearing a homemade mask that goes through no quality control measures are far as filtering out the bad stuff.

It's not about 100% effectiveness... it's about reduction of efficiency of transmission...

IMG_7342 (resized).jpgIMG_7342 (resized).jpg
#12934 3 years ago
Quoted from Reality_Studio:

I am genuinely curious though if some restaurants find they actually make more money in this new environment compared to how they operated before. Like one of our favorite restaurants we walked by today previously only supported Grub Hub, but now they have a banner out that shows they support Uber Eats, Door Dash, Grub Hub, etc and now offer their own delivery as well. Likewise I wonder if some may notice that they don't actually need all that indoor space for tables and instead can earn more by focusing on online delivery and pickup

The problem is volume.

They dont get the same volume as sitting 20-50 tables at a time. Sure each transaction is quicker and in theory cheaper, but...
- they are still paying for all that retail space they Aren't using
- delivery providers charge fees and commissions that destroy margins

The model to jetison the space works... its why prople got into food trucks... but they are not there. Burdened by space they can't use, lower volumes, and higher cost per transaction.

#13272 3 years ago
Quoted from Sinistarrett:

On the way out I witnessed a confrontation between two shoppers and an employee over the one-way aisles. They were cussing the poor kid up and down when he tried to get them to obey the rules. In short, going to Walmart absolutely sucks even more than before Covid-19 and is really starting to make me hate people.
Makes me wish we had a Costco here!

meanwhile at our walmart tuesday... I'd say 95% of people were wearing masks. People just did their business and shopped. Must be 'florida man' syndrome

2 months later
#17245 3 years ago
Quoted from chad:

This guy says he won't goto restaurants, but yet he is at a ball game close to others. This may very well be a cardboard cutout they talked about 6 weeks ago.

Cycling this picture around is as stupid as people people taking video stills as examples of what people look like. Trying to have a 'gotcha' moment while ignoring everything around it.

Like sitting next to your wife and friend ... in an otherwise EMPTY ballpark...

#17257 3 years ago
Quoted from chad:

Not abiding with the social distancing 6 foot rule either. Funny how they want us to follow this , but they cannot even mirror it themselves. Empty BallPark , plenty of seats .[quoted image]

You don't social distance within your own cluster genius.

No one is sleeping in separate beds at home because of trying to follow 'social distancing'.

#17269 3 years ago

Did you fail reading as a child?

#17323 3 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

Anybody see this America’s Frontline Doctors video? I only saw part of it, but it looked a bit dubious to me. Many of my local Floridians are extremely worked up over it.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/28/tech/facebook-youtube-coronavirus/index.html

Straight up propaganda

A summit organized not by doctors- but by a right leaning political group. The tea party patriots.

Note the lab coats with logos? A made up organization.

Its a political push to grab doctors who all sign the same song and put them in front of cameras to push their preferred message. They even included the much shammed er doctors from cali.

People will be sharing those stupid videos for weeks

#17327 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:Remember when all of you people talked about how stupid a certain person was for believing that Hydroxychloroquine was an effective drug to fight the Coronavirus?
https://twitter.com/carrieksada/status/1287978414104690688?s=21

Remember when I said 'people will be sharing those stupid videos for weeks? ... thx for proving the point within hours.

Quoted from flynnibus:

Straight up propaganda
A summit organized not by doctors- but by a right leaning political group. The tea party patriots.
Note the lab coats with logos? A made up organization.
Its a political push to grab doctors who all sign the same song and put them in front of cameras to push their preferred message. They even included the much shammed er doctors from cali.
People will be sharing those stupid videos for weeks

#17339 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

You are being lied to. There are a bunch more articles just like that one backing up what she is saying.

You seriously can't spot the poltiical propoganda going on here?

Look into this 'americas frontline doctors' group - It doesn't exist! It's a name made up to project a sense of authority - and why all the doctors were wearing labcoats with it's logo proudly on it.

It's a name registered just two weeks ago
Domain Name: AMERICASFRONTLINEDOCTORS.COM
Registry Domain ID: 2546369396_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.tucows.com
Registrar URL: http://www.tucows.com
Updated Date: 2020-07-16T01:27:54Z
Creation Date: 2020-07-16T01:27:49Z
Registry Expiry Date: 2021-07-16T01:27:49Z
Registrar: Tucows Domains Inc.

It's a 'summit' under that name organized by the Tea Party Patriots.

The 'leader' is Simone Gold, MD - Look her up... she's been campaigning against the shutdowns and pumping that drug since april.

Breitbart even TOLD you who was behind the event -
"The purpose of the two day summit, organized by the Tea Party Patriots, is to allow “frontline doctors [the ability to] talk directly to the American people.” Topics to be discussed include the reopening of America’s schools, “medical cancel culture,” and the public policy."
https://www.breitbart.com/health/2020/07/27/watch-live-frontline-physicians-aim-to-dispel-massive-covid-19-disinformation-campaign/

When they went live... TWO sites were pumping this... breitbart and teapartypatriots.

This whole thing is political propaganda... and yet even when the information is under your nose people refuse to look at it.

#17352 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

You are being lied to. There are a bunch more articles just like that one backing up what she is saying.

Here's also what 'shes saying'

Listen to how she's going to use the blood of Jesus to defeat demons and witches

This is the 'expert' you are rallying behind... Dr Stella Immanuel - strip mall doctor and 'Firepower Ministries' org. Check out her facebook and youtube for some top notch advise on how to avoid demons

#17416 3 years ago
Quoted from RonSS:

In this case, I'm asking why if we Americans suffer from the flu we haven't been firmly recommended to wear masks. I realize covid and influenza are different beasts, but it seems like a simple/cheap way to save lives and misery.

It's already been answered.

And you would notice that masks and isolation are recommended when people have contagious diseases like the flu. It's not done enmass because the problems facing the general public from the two diseases are not the same. And masks are seen as obtrusive, so it's not something you need to push for to deal with the public health issue. It's about "right sizing" your solutions to the problems you are facing.

#17421 3 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Are we just assholes?

Yes - There are plenty of platforms out there now preaching that putting your rights above all else is paramount. It's hyperbolic posturing as a way advocate you can't let someone infringe on something, else you'll lose even more.

The 'slippery slope' scenario is not new - but the drive to convince people that it's a threat worth pushing back against is stronger than ever.

It's a byproduct of the polarizing gap forming in our politics. Where people are being drawn to extremes rather than moderation. You see it in entertainment... you see it in social interactions... (karen'ing).. you see it in our politics.

People are motivated by fear and boogeyman. People want 'easy answers'... It's a ripe market for manipulation and conditioning.

The polarizing politics are pushing agendas like 'caring for others is socialism' and other hyperbolic crap. They preach that doing X will lead to Y... and lump things in together. "Fighting big government" is a easy umbrella to lump your efforts under.

#17470 3 years ago
Quoted from RonSS:

What I'm thick about is why we think it's ok for the numbers below if a mask could lower them substantially. Again, I'm not looking for a mandate, just a change in norms/acceptance I guess.

we get mandates because 'urges' don't work. Remember when we spent 2 months trying to explain the simplest thing.. like WASHING YOUR HANDS?? and people still don't do it. Everyone thinks 'oh its everyone else... not me...'

#17598 3 years ago
Quoted from Enaud:

Something doesn't add up here. Not trying to cause conflict but a real concern and a real question. Here in Alabama, there is lots of conflict about opening up the schools. However, the state opened the daycares back up about two months ago. My daughter is in college (early education) and works in the afternoons at a daycare. So, if it's safe enough to open the daycares (questionable) wouldn't it be safe enough to open the schools? Again, don't flame me, I'm posing a legitimate question and would appreciate your thoughts on this seeming inconsistency.

1) scale - look at the size of most daycare class sizes compared to schools
2) scale - look at gow many are in school vs daycare
3) movement- most daycare does not rotate or regroup into nee groups every hour or 90mins like most middle school and up do
4) the age grouos in daycare vs school as a whole
5) busing

Just some of the examples of how they differ

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flynnibus.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread?tu=flynnibus and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.