272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 Important warning Posted by Daditude (4 years ago)

Post #6 Coronavirus website with up-to-the-moment stats Posted by Daditude (4 years ago)

Post #172 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #193 Name of disease and of the virus Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #209 Explains why you need social distancing Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #239 Comment on seasonality Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #251 Avoid ibuprofen Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #370 Info on chloroquine Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #530 News from Italy Posted by Pedretti_Gaming (4 years ago)

Post #693 Important info and advice Posted by ForceFlow (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dinot.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#23356 2 years ago
Quoted from Mattyk:

I still don’t get why vaccinated people care whether someone chooses to get the vaccine or not. If you have the vaccine you are all set. No need to worry. Live your life

1) Because no vaccine is 100%

2) Unvaccinated people are the breeding grounds for variants. The Epislon/Zeta (etc...) variants will come from an unvaccinated person. While Pfizer/Moderna/Novavax are quite efficacious against Delta, how well will they work with the a new variant?

3) I have an unvaccinated 10 year old.

The unvaccinated are prolonging this. They are affecting society as a whole. If it only affected them, I couldn't give 2 shits about what they do.

This reminds me of the arguments of smokers during the 90s regarding smoking bans.

#23368 2 years ago

In addition, news out of Israel shows a sharp decline in efficacy of the Pfizer vaccine against Delta. My suspicion is that efficacy is the same but that additional exposure is what is causing the rise in infections. So in other words, you have good protection but once many more people get infected you are exposed to more virus. The reassuring note is that protection from hospitalization remains strong (but hospitalizations tend to trail infections by 2-3 weeks)

https://fortune.com/2021/07/05/israel-data-plunge-efficacy-pfizer-biontech-vaccine-delta-variant/

So we really, really need as many people vaccinated as possible.

#23371 2 years ago

For those that hadn't seen this yet:

https://news.yahoo.com/more-99-recent-covid-deaths-162952585.html

The sad truth is that from here on out, we can avoid thousands of additional deaths in the US if people would just get vaccinated.

#23379 2 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

This is the proverbial elephant in the room and our country right now.
Our entire family has been vaccinated except my brother in law and wife. They still don't think COVID is a big deal and that they don't trust the vaccine. The same talking points and misinformation that's been repeated to them is all they know. A family friend the same age as my brother in law contracted COVID and was in the hospital for over 100 days. We get videos of him learning to re-walk again with family cheering him on. He'll be on O2 the remainder of his life and is only in his 50s. This still wasn't scary enough though.
After you've been fed the BS and lies for so long, its fact them. Aside from putting a bag over their heads and throwing them in a van to take them to be deprogrammed what can you do?

It is maddening isn't it? And we live in a state with relatively high vaccination rates (I live just up Rt 32 from you ) but even here, we get these deniers. I can't imagine what its like in low vaxx states. I have a 10 1/2 year old and the thought has crossed my mind as to how I can try to get her vaccinated. The current estimates of having to wait until Sept/Oct is causing us issues. We go to the beach every weekend and the prospect of another semester of online school is really causing my daughter to get pretty upset. I have a 13 year old who is fully vaxxed and she will attend school in person and can go out to places which understandably is making things worse for my 10 year old.

#23409 2 years ago
Quoted from Trogdor:

Except for point 3, is there a study that proves your points? Not what I remember of how variants work but I’m sure those upvoting your post understand it much more completely.
There is no 100% effective vaccine. That means the virus can enter cells of a certain amount of VACCINATED individuals and replicate. Any error in replication can theoretically produce a variant. Therefore, technically, any individual can produce a variant. We have yet to determine if infected, vaccinated people actually produce enough to infect another individual, but if it is a strong variant- they will. I don’t know if I would rather encounter a variant from an unvaccinated or vaccinated individual- the vaccinated will probably produce a much more nefarious virus. Would more vaccinated people probably result in less variants? Yes- probably.
Several medical professionals(recent op Ed by UCLA assoc professors) are advising caution in vaccinating groups that are not at risk due to incidence of myocarditis, blood clots, and other reactions. Covid vaccines did not go through regular approval process. Members of these groups which do get covid, will likely recover and have likely greater immunity then vaccinated individuals. Several will not recover and their families will have to live with those choices.
There are “selfish” individuals not vaccinating, there are also highly educated people not vaccinating who simply can’t overlook the risks vs risks- there is no reward necessarily.
I am Pfizer vaccinated and have allergies for first time in my life. Did I get old or vaccinated?

Just because a vaccine is not 100% efficacious, do we throw up our hands and say, "well some folks will get infected and we could get a variant from them so why bother"?

If everyone were vaccinated, we'd lessen the chance of a variant occurring by 95%...give or take and this pandemic would end very, very quickly. Additionally, even if the vaccinated get infected, it is far less likely to cause them to develop serious disease.

As you said, variants occur when a virus is replicating. Basically it is a screw up in replication. The virus infects someone and makes billions of copies of itself. Errors happen all the time. Most of the time, those errors make the copy unviable. Sometimes those errors actually make it better. If it can't infect people (because of vaccination or prior infection), it has no vector to replicate, therefore a variant can't be created. Yes, some breakthrough infections will occur, but they will occur at a FAR, FAR lower rate and those affected will be 93% less likely to develop sever illness.

This is why the unvaccinated are screwing things up for everyone. This is also why it is in our best interest to make sure the vaccine makes it everywhere. (Meaning other countries with lesser means than us)

When you advocate not vaccinating certain groups because they will likely recover....I am guessing you mean minors. While they are VERY unlikely to die, they can develop debilitating symptoms and we don't know yet how long they last. Also, approximately 386 minors have died from Covid in the US as of June 30th. How many have died from the vaccine?

1 week later
#23548 2 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

Not sure what there was to disagree with in my post. Even the guy that is now waiting around for 2 new (to him) lungs and has a gofundme to pay his massive medical bills regrets his decision not to get vaccinated against the disease that has killed 607,000 Americans, is still killing about 9,000 people a month, and wrecked the health of many more. His entire family all got the shot and they are all fine.
These stories are easy to find. Get the shot. Encourage others to get it. Don't be that guy.

Also, this person got lungs that could have gone to someone else. (Maybe someone suffering from Cystic Fibrosis or some other lung disease).

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dinot.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread?tu=dinot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.