272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 Important warning Posted by Daditude (4 years ago)

Post #6 Coronavirus website with up-to-the-moment stats Posted by Daditude (4 years ago)

Post #172 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #193 Name of disease and of the virus Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #209 Explains why you need social distancing Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #239 Comment on seasonality Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #251 Avoid ibuprofen Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #370 Info on chloroquine Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #530 News from Italy Posted by Pedretti_Gaming (4 years ago)

Post #693 Important info and advice Posted by ForceFlow (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dent00.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#389 4 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

The chloroquine question is not certain at this time. There were some observational studies during the SARS outbreak in 2003 that patients on chloroquine for other conditions seemed to do better with SARS infection. There is a small study out of France that seems to show similar effects however it is a very small study and that is why Dr. Fauci is trying to throw some water on that fire.
Bottom line is it is not clear that there is a definite benefit as there have not been any large, randomized, controlled trials yet. Also, we want to protect the supply we do have and keep those for doctors and hospitals to use in cases to see if there is any benefit. There is probably concern from the administration to stop a run on chloroquine based on a small study and then not have any to use for the really sick patients.

I want to chime in a little bit here about the use of Chloroquine or Hydro-Chloroquine. About 10 years ago, I went overseas to an area where Malaria was possible and also yellow fever, among other nasty things. People that I went with were all required to get this medicine to prevent encephalitis and also take a bank of other shots for various diseases like hepatitus. What was available at the time were pink pills that you either took each day or some once per week. Taking that medicine was pretty much torture. If you have to take it, you can expect to have some serious gastrointestinal problems. Serious symptoms like diarrhea, vomiting and generally an upset stomach. Out of 10 people that I saw take the medicine, they all got sick, except for one person that only had mild symptoms of these same problems. I did not see one person take that medicine with no symptoms. Coincidentally, the treatment for malaria is the same medicine. Having experienced being around people that were required to take this stuff makes you understand the serious nature of the drug and desire to not have to take it. I guess if it keeps you from dying, it is worth it, but the results of taking this drug are severe. Two people even got dysentery. And if you don't know what that is, you can look it up, because I do not want to describe it here.

#395 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I did the whole malaria pills regiment way back when, but I don't recall it having any effect on me.

You must either be lucky or have a iron gut, is all I can say...
Personally, I will do everything possible to avoid taking that medicine.

1 month later
#12401 3 years ago

The state of Mississippi went from "Stay at Home" to "Safer at Home" status today.
What that means is that I still can't get a hair cut, among other things, and it is starting to get out of control.
I guess I will have to procrastinate on a hair cut for another 2 weeks.

#12411 3 years ago
Quoted from Pham78:

Or better still, if you haven’t offended the wife in a while, beg her to help you. She might do a good job you never know.

I have been trimming on the edges that I can see myself. I think I can wait another 2 weeks without severe consequences... We do have some trimmers that she uses on the dog, so I think I will forego that and wait for a normal barber... We are not in the apocalypse. Barbers are just taking a vacation. I heard that in some places that you could get a haircut, but you have to make an appointment. Not sure what that is about, but I plan on waiting till normal haircuts are back in place. I have never made an appointment for haircut and I don't plan on starting now.

#12566 3 years ago
Quoted from smalltownguy2:

I feel like that's the elephant in the room that no one's addressing: what if a vaccine is NEVER completed? I mean, it's a real concern.

I think a lot of people will decide not to take the vaccine, even if it is produced. With a mortality rated of around 0.05% (from what I read), you will likely just get sick from Covid-19, exactly like with the common flu or common cold with no lasting effects other than immunity, after you recover. And there is still no vaccine for the common cold or ebola, for that matter. Unless you are elderly with underlying health issues, it is probably not a big concern. Those people will need the vaccine and need to take extra precautions. Everyone else will be exposed eventually in the general population anyway. People die from all kinds of things... Heart disease, pneumonia, cancer, car accidents, electrocution... you name it... Life is fragile, but we are not in the apocalypse with zombies roaming the streets. I personally am ready to go back to business as usual and take my chances. However, my state is still in the "Safer at Home" mode until May 11, so I intend to comply, but I don't have to like it. I am not one of those people protesting in my state because of the partial reopening of normal business operations, but I was glad that they did it.

3 weeks later
#14778 3 years ago

In my area, there is now an advertisement about how you can get a test to detect if you have antibodies to COVID-19 and the advertisement says that it "only costs" $189. I also hear some people say that the test is covered by insurance and the copay is like $10. I think they are doing it in parking lots. Someone please explain to me why I would want to pay for this test or why I would even want it... The only reason I can possibly imagine is if your employer is requiring that for you to return to work...

#14797 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

I would love to know so I could relax my guard a bit and maybe normalize my life somewhat. That said my gut instincts tells me those tests are unreliable and I would prefer going through my doctor.
Edit: Sucks to be last after a moderator delay.

I think what I am hearing from some people in my area on antibody testing, is this thing about "I just want to learn that I am immune, so that I can not be so afraid". Frankly, I am not paying anything for that feeling. There are plenty of other real things to be afraid of, so I see it as an unproductive waste of time and money. Further, some group is making a boatload of money doing virus antibody testing, because some people are just terrified of the whole situation. I think it is immoral to live off the fear of people, but I guess some people really do need the test for antibodies, because they were previously infected, had symptoms, and want to go back to work. Perhaps the antibody test is necessary for those people. Perhaps that antibody test proves that they are no longer contagious.

#14859 3 years ago

The governor of the State of Mississippi had a news conference today and stated that beginning on Monday, June 1, gatherings of people practicing safe guidelines can gather indoors in groups of up to 20 people. Outdoor gatherings are limited to 100 people, still requiring safe guidelines. Masks is still a big topic of conversation and is still being recommended.

6 months later
#20711 3 years ago

I am not a medical worker, but my employer has determined that my job is essential and I have a letter from them that states that for anyone that requires it. So far, no one has asked for that letter. I wear a mask and gloves to work every day when I go to work and I am hopeful that I can get a vaccine. The sooner the better. I am curious when I can get it and how much it will cost. If what I hear on the news is correct, it sounds like it will be several months before people like me in the general population can get a vaccine. It almost sounds like by the time I can get a vaccine, I might not even need it.

4 months later
#22364 3 years ago

I got the 1st Pfizer vaccination dose a few days ago. It was free at Walmart. I have not had any side effects that I can detect. I got a reminder card to return for the 2nd dose on May 9. The pharmacist told me to keep that card because it might be "required" at some point to board an airplane. Just repeating what he said. I find it difficult to believe that someone might be denied access to a airplane on a security check if they did not have a vaccination card. I guess if they have a fever and no card, that might be different. I still hear people in my area that are scared or simply refuse to get vaccinated for a variety of reasons. Most of those people are still staying at home.

1 week later
#22588 2 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

The cards are too easy to counterfeit and there are too many dishonest people out there that are willing to procure and use them without getting vaccinated if it comes to that.
There are apps in development that would allow people to access their own records and show proof digitally. While I doubt airlines will be able to require them domestically (even if they may like to), I am pretty sure they will be required to travel internationally once things begin opening up. Countries that have already started to open up like Iceland are requiring proof of vaccination or proof of previous Covid infection in the last 6 months.
A lot of people will kick and scream this is unfair but it may he the price of opening up international travel, cruises, and theme parks again. I read the other day Disneyland California may open up to vaccinated non -Californua residents as well in the near future.

I read a news story today where they mention that there are offers available to get your vaccination card laminated for free. The CDC recommends that you don't do that because they say that the heat process will make the card unreadable and you won't be able to post any booster shots that you get later on the card. The CDC apparently recommends that you take a photo of the card to preserve it. First time I have heard anything about booster shots.
https://www.foxnews.com/health/dont-laminate-covid-19-vaccination-card-experts-warn

#22598 2 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

Had to make a pit-stop at a Winn-Dixie near the Ocala National Forest Saturday morning. The pharmacy tech was walking around the store offering the vaccine to anyone who wanted it. My first time seeing that, but I'm not really surprised considering the demographics.

At the Walmart, near my house, they actually made an announcement over the intercom to the entire store that they had some shots available.
The Pfizer vaccine requires refrigeration and expires after a certain time period.
I was able to get mine 5 minutes before the shot was expired.

#22670 2 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

How does everyone feel about mask wearing in your area?
Should we continue? Stop? Slow down?
I'm curious to know.

I don't think you should be required to wear a mask if you have been vaccinated.

#22724 2 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Honest question. Most people say a sore arm is the worst side effect of the vaccine. I notice on tv the vaccine is being given into peoples left arm; I assume this is so that their dominant arm is unaffected.
I’m left handed, should I get the vaccine in my right arm, does it matter? If my arm is sore for a day, I’d prefer it to be the one I don’t use.

I got my 2nd dose of the Pfizer vaccine this past Sunday, May 9. The pharmacist asked me both times which arm to administer the shot and both times, I said "it doesn't matter". He gave the shot in the right arm both times. I would have had more reaction to a wasp sting in the general area where the shot was administered. No other side effects in my case. Only other thing is that I heard on the news this morning that they "might" want people to get a booster shot after 6 months. I think I might decline that. I am vaccinated and that's that, as far as I am concerned. My thought is that in 6 months, all this insanity should be over...

#22767 2 years ago

:
One step closer to actually having pinball tournaments again.
Perhaps the tournament directors can require that only vaccinated people attend.
If IFPA adopted a strategy like that, they could get back to work and allow rated tournaments again.
I am surprised that there is not more discussion about that...

#22779 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

IPFA has been transparent...I believe they are waiting for 51 percent of IFPA reps to approve turning it back on. THe number is currently hoovering around 30 percent. As more get the vax more confidence will grow; but remember these reps are worldwide so everybody needs to get it together. (This is all as relayed from a bud so who knows could be horseshit).

If anyone is scared, participants could be required to sign a waiver that says that if they get sick, the tournament director is not responsible.
The waiver should say that if you are sick, or have a fever, or if you have been around someone sick, you are asked to leave... Period...
If you have been vaccinated, then you can participate without a mask (very simple).
People that are scared, do not have to participate, or they could wear a mask and gloves, if they feel comfortable with that.
I don't really see why this is not already happening to be honest.
Places overseas where they are not working diligently to get people vaccinated and such, might have to figure out if they really want to get well or not and what they need to do to make that happen.
I am not going overseas.
Just my thoughts.

#22889 2 years ago
Quoted from Jamesays:

I am fully vaccinated but went to pickup my meds and the place was packed with people getting 1st shots.I noticed the pharmacist asking for I.D. and insurance.Why show insurance for free shots ? Just curious.

When I got vaccinated, I did not have any insurance. It was still free. The only reason that they ask for insurance is to charge the insurance company for the service. If you don't have insurance, I assume the bill goes to the CDC or some other local government entity. You can bet they someone is getting the bill even though the vaccine is being given at no charge.

#22903 2 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

On Wednesday, some of the mask restrictions were lifted here.

Where exactly is "here"?
Your ID does not list your location.

1 month later
#23345 2 years ago

Walmart in my area now has a sign that says that vaccinated persons are not required to wear a mask. I have been vaccinated, so, for the first time, I went into Walmart without a mask. About 25% of the people there in the store still had on a mask.

1 month later
#24823 2 years ago

Local news in Mississippi is reporting that the University of Mississippi Medical Center in Jackson has opened two field hospitals to accommodate additional patients and that 95% of the new patients have Covid19.

2 weeks later
#25605 2 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

My fcuking insurance (obamacare, Nevada Healthcare marketplace) COmpaNy sent me a bill for a $29.00 "processing fee". This was for the 2nd dose received here. 1st dose in Michigan, under real insurance, did not appear anywhere indicating a cost.

That is totally absurd because the shot is free if you don't have insurance, which was my case.
At Walmart, it was announced on the store speakers that shots were available that would expire soon and anyone could get one for free.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dent00.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread?tu=dent00 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.