272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 Important warning Posted by Daditude (4 years ago)

Post #6 Coronavirus website with up-to-the-moment stats Posted by Daditude (4 years ago)

Post #172 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #193 Name of disease and of the virus Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #209 Explains why you need social distancing Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #239 Comment on seasonality Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #251 Avoid ibuprofen Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #370 Info on chloroquine Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #530 News from Italy Posted by Pedretti_Gaming (4 years ago)

Post #693 Important info and advice Posted by ForceFlow (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dcp.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#872 4 years ago
Quoted from BobSacamano:

Who exactly is Anthony Fauci?
A bit of history on the man we're all counting on.

If this guy doesn't get a Presidential Medal of Freedom (or equivalent)... WE RIOT!

3:45 into the video, G.W.Bush gives him the Presidential Medal of Freedom. It would be fine if he got another one!

2 weeks later
#7630 4 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

[quoted image]

Hi, Daditude - just FYI they reset the stats on worldometers.info around midnight GMT, which is 5PM my time , and 7 PM in Texas. That's why the "new cases" and "new deaths" are lower. The best time to take a screenshot would be around 6PM your time, otherwise it doesn't show the full total for the day. After 7PM your time, the count has been reset and is starting on the next day. Unfortunately, we haven't reached the point where either of those counts is going down in the U.S. and there will be a lot more than 280 new cases added today. There were 34,196 new cases added yesterday in the U.S.
The most accurate count can be seen by clicking "yesterday" and seeing the final totals for the day.
I've been around for 6+ decades and have never seen anything like this. My girlfriend and I are taking every precaution and have only been out in public 3 times in 6 weeks. We have old buildings with that we've been working on and cleaning for years, so we already had a modest stock of PPE to deal with dust and lead paint and other toxic shit. We've put a "freeze" on using alcohol for cleaning parts. There's enough in the shop to get us by for at least a while. Many pinball hobbyists are probably decently prepared for this!
Scientists have been warning us for at least 20-30 years (that I can personally remember) that we need to be prepared for evolving new pandemics. It sucks to live through one, but it looks like people are adapting and are willing to wait it out until the peak appears to have passed and the numbers go way down. But that could be many weeks, stretching possibly into months, so we all need to get used to this and help each other however we can.

#7635 4 years ago
Quoted from sven:

PS: For others like me, who hate the social isolation and everything that comes with it, but further don't really have that much to complain: it may be hard, and we can sometimes feel very sad for it, but we should also consider just know how lucky we really are.

Sven, your whole post is good, and the P.S. at the end reminded me of something I wanted to say...
I had an experience about 10 years ago where I was forced to stop doing most of my normal activities, had to remain indoors most of the time, only went out for essentials every 2 weeks or so, and had to rearrange my life and find new things to do in my newly-limited environment. This experience did not end for me - I live like this all the time now. I have made major adaptations to my life so I could HAVE a life.
What happened was my spinal stenosis and arthritis had progressed since the 1990s and I finally lost my ability to work. Now I have another diagnosis of a thing called ankylosing spondylitis, which is one of those pretty much untreatable inflammatory diseases. I believe a lot of the cause of these things is exposure to toxins in our air, water, and food, and of course genetics.
I am glad that you pointed out that "the healthy are lucky". There are many people in the world who have already had to permanently adapt to a lifestyle similar to what everyone is being forced to do now.
It's difficult when a change like this is forced on you, and it took me a long time to get used to it. I hope this crisis is over well before any of you healthy people have gotten used to it! I mean that in a positive way - because you won't get used to it in 2 months or even a year. Let's hope this is over way before then.

#7749 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

I don't know why people act so surprised by old fiction they can shoehorn into present day events. H.G Wells published this book in 1901.
I really enjoyed Planet of the Apes by the way.[quoted image]

I have shelves full of science fiction (parents' collection) - some of my favorites are the future predictions with dates (i.e. 2076 - the American Tricentennial in 1st pic). I think Koontz' book just proves that scientists and smart people like sci-fi writers knew 40+ years ago that it was only a matter of time before we would be hit by a big pandemic virus. This didn't come out of "nowhere ".
Many of these books filled my imagination growing up. I'm especially grateful to be the curator of the collection now that we're shut in. Any other fans of 1940s-70s sci fi on Pinside? My Dad actually published several stories in Analog and The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction in the 50s through the early 70s. I plan on publishing his stories in an anthology at some point...(pics show maybe 10% of the SF portion of Mom and Dad's collection. There are several other sub-collections).

20200405_165640.jpg20200405_165640.jpg20200405_165709.jpg20200405_165709.jpg
1 week later
#9899 4 years ago
Quoted from Murphdom:

I just bought something similar to these. If you search “pollution mask” on eBay they come up. Most of them are made of neoprene and the filters are replaceable. The filters are supposed to be equivalent to an N95 (pm 2.5). I paid around $10 for the mask and $12 for a pack of 20 filters. Even if they don’t work I guess I’m protecting my face with fabric
ebay.com link

Caution! PM 2.5 is not equivalent to N95...N95 filters 95% of particles 0.3 microns or larger. PM 2.5 means 2.5 micron particles can get through.

3 months later
#16779 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

..One time as I stood on the very top, a glider plane flew close enough and at the same altitude that I could clearly see the pilot. And when we locked eyes, he gave me a thumbs up. It was a surreal moment I'll never forget."
[quoted image]

Mr68 I loved that hike when I lived in the area...I got buzzed by a glider up there, too!

1 month later
#18332 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinballs:

This seems to be an interesting alternative to face masks, certainly more comfortable e.g. when going shop to shop, or on a plane. I bought 3 from a UK medical supply company (not direct although you can do that too), and it seems to be bona fide? What is this 'Viruferrin' and why isn't more stuff coated in it??
https://www.virustaticshield.com
https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2020/mar/25/10-coronavirus-covid-busting-designs

Hmmm, I see two things that could be wrong with this. "Viruferrin" could be snake oil and just advertising BS. Check up on it, try to find any other reference to it (not just some wild-eyed "scientist" on YouTube ). Better references are usually the long boring scientific text articles with no pictures that tediously cite legitimate scientific studies, and provide long, dull lists of high-level qualifying credentials.
That's why everyone skips those and goes for the YouTube guy. Resist the temptation.
Also, there is no bendable nosepiece to make it fit properly around the nose. Same problem with other cheap masks and most bandanas. If you just pull a cloth around your face, it leaves big gaps between your cheeks and your nose. Air will follow the path of least resistance, so most of your breathing is going in and out of this gap instead of through the mask. People probably like masks like that because it's easy to breathe, but you're breathing unfiltered air. Unless you are just wearing your mask for decoration, you will want something that fits a little better.

2 months later
#20361 3 years ago

In March, Mineral County, West Virginia was one of the only places to have zero covid cases. Now, we are one of the fastest-rising hotspots in the country. People around here don't wear masks consistently, and they had a Trunk or Treat Halloween celebration that brought people in from neighboring towns despite being warned by health officials of possible danger. Two weeks later, cases started spiking.
The two people who organized the Trunk or Treat work at a nearby nursing home that now has dozens of ill patients and 12 staff members who have tested positive. Seems we had a Halloween "spreader" event in Piedmont.
Our Mayor and Council don't take the pandemic seriously. They don't wear masks at City meetings, which has caused us to stop attending.
Even relatively isolated areas like ours are getting hit with this. It seems to be crisscrossing back and forth across the country. Definitely not time to let our guard down yet.

#20390 3 years ago

I combined today's NY Times maps of WV and MD to show our local spike in cases. West Virginia is on the left, and Maryland to the right. I exaggerated the separation between the states so you can see how they "interlock".
The little black star in the center of the page shows where we live, right on the border - there were few cases around here to speak of until recently, and now it's hitting this area hard. Seems like it really took off after Halloween.
We've been staying holed up in our old buildings and working on our umpteen-million household projects. If we go grocery shopping before 10AM, there's no one in the stores and it feels relatively safe. But we're not going out otherwise.
2020-11-22MarylandCOVIDNYTimesMoreSeparation (resized).jpg2020-11-22MarylandCOVIDNYTimesMoreSeparation (resized).jpg

3 weeks later
#20768 3 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

The data is Boston, but I’d think this would be the same in most areas.

This could be described as the "I told you so" wave of the coronavirus. Our area has treated it casually since the beginning, and now is being hit hard. There will be echoing waves of this as long as people refuse to take precautions.
The vaccines sound promising, even though I am generally very skeptical about important things that are rushed to completion. The side effects are a bit worrisome for people with compromised immune systems and other issues. It will take some time before we know how much it is actually helping to slow down the spread.
There will always be some number of people who will remain unconvinced that there is a pandemic, but after awhile, the bodies pile up so high you can't hide them anymore.
Terrible that we've soared over 300,000 deaths now. Let's hope that the vaccines work and bring this mutha down.

1 week later
#20942 3 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

A glitch in the matrix huh?

This video seems to be promoting the idea that women are inherently unqualified to participate in government or in management levels of business.
I don't think you will find much support for this idea in the 21st century. You would have had better luck in the 1950s.
The truth is that most of the world is becoming more and more open-minded and inclusive, while a few still cling to the old ways and keep hoping that all of this annoying human rights and equality stuff will just go away.
Well, it's not going away.

#20943 3 years ago
Quoted from chad:

Alex Berneson on covid deaths, pcr testing etc...

These have already become old, tired arguments in the 8 or 10 months people have been promoting them. Two guys want to go on and on about how covid is not really that big a problem, deaths are exaggerated, and so on. What is the purpose here? They aren't adding any meaningful data or new ideas to the conversation. They must not have any older or sickly relatives, because the main thrust of their argument is that it's not a big deal if old and/or sick people get covid and it hastens their death. No problem! Granny was dying anyway, who cares that she still had some months or years of quality time left? She was just taking up valuable space!
I don't see the purpose of continually promoting these videos by non-experts that try to minimize the pandemic. Sure, there is "Freedom of Speech". You can say anything you want.
But if you have that kind of freedom, why are you so driven to use that freedom to try to convince the world that your rather oversimplified and distorted views are correct, and that the so-called "Mainstream Media" is wrong? If you're so curious about the pandemic and disease in general, why don't you enroll in medical school and learn everything you can about it? Then you might be able to contribute something meaningful to the conversation. Until then, watch all the videos you want, but don't try to tell us that they contain some kind of "truth" that we are somehow unable to see on our own. LOL.
There are a lot of people who have realized that YouTube will pay you money if you get a lot of views on your channel. So it is very profitable to spew a bunch of nonsense on YouTube that is controversial and poorly researched, because it gets you a lot of clicks and makes money. This has contributed to a massive flood of misinformation and lies that are promoted far more vigorously than the true scientific data.
Just because something is repeated loudly over and over again doesn't make it true. Try finding better sources than YouTube, like textbooks, scientific journals, and lab reports.
The truth is out there, but I can almost guarantee you are not going to find it on f**king YouTube.
My sister is right this minute lying at home, in hospice care, dying a horrible death from breast cancer that has spread throughout her body and organs. She would probably have some years left, but she chose to believe all the quack "doctors" and their crappy YouTube videos about cancer treatments, and did not get any "normal" treatments for her breast cancer.
She only had a small lump in the beginning, but YouTube told her not to get radiation or chemotherapy because it's a conspiracy to destroy us somehow. She spent at least $100,000 on quack treatments and overpriced, placebo medicines.
So now my younger sister is dying, because of lies and junk science, just like your Covid nonsense that you find on YouTube and promote to us.
This is my opinion. You are welcome to your own. But think a little bit about the whole thing, and think about my sister.

3 weeks later
#21373 3 years ago

I thought this might be interesting to some of you.
We had this book on our shelf when I was growing up and now it's in my collection. The cover always fascinated and scared me. I never imagined we'd experience anything even close to a plague.
This book was written by Daniel Defoe in 1722, three years after he wrote Robinson Crusoe.

20210121_121719.jpg20210121_121719.jpg20210121_121739.jpg20210121_121739.jpg
4 months later
#22970 2 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

True, but choosing not to take any of the approved COVID vaccines does.

Actually, there are no "approved" COVID vaccines. They are all being used under emergency authorization. That's why we waited until last week to get our first shot...I didn't feel comfortable taking it after only 20,000 people had it during the sped-up trials. Now that a few hundred million people have had it, those of us in fragile health can feel somewhat more confident that there won't be potentially deadly side effects. But they are still not approved yet.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dcp.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread?tu=dcp and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.