272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 Important warning Posted by Daditude (4 years ago)

Post #6 Coronavirus website with up-to-the-moment stats Posted by Daditude (4 years ago)

Post #172 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #193 Name of disease and of the virus Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #209 Explains why you need social distancing Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #239 Comment on seasonality Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #251 Avoid ibuprofen Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #370 Info on chloroquine Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #530 News from Italy Posted by Pedretti_Gaming (4 years ago)

Post #693 Important info and advice Posted by ForceFlow (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider c508.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#5127 4 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

I can't think of a President in the last 90 years less suited to lead us during this crisis.

Jimmy Carter?

Seriously, most of you are old enough to remember how decisive he was with the Iran hostage crisis.

#6371 4 years ago
Quoted from EJS:

Here's some food for thought.
Have you ever had the media cover something you are an expert on?

Or see something technical (like a manufacturing process or computer hacking or medical machinery or suppressed sub-machine gun firing) depicted in a movie and think “it’s not like that!”

Does anyone know if there is a term or word for this type of realization?

Given the names for concepts like “Peter Principle” or “Occam’s Razor” or Dunning-Kruger Effect” I’m confident there must be a word that applies to the type of situation you are describing... and I would really like to know what it is.

#6399 4 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

So, with that perspective in mind, the point was to view articles written on other subjects in the same light. A lot of the significant items in the subject of an article are probably correct, but it's likely that there are minor errors that go unnoticed by readers who are not subject matter experts.

Yes, and does anyone know if there is a term for this phenomenon?

#7362 4 years ago
Quoted from pinstyle:

Yea I'd never be able to deal with that. I don't want to go off topic so this is the last I will say on this subject. The US seems to be dog obsessed. Doggie dining? Dog days at the water park?

Check this out:

https://www.post-gazette.com/life/drinks/2019/01/21/DogHouse-hotel-BrewDog-brewery-Columbus-Ohio/stories/201810210002

Not only dog friendly, the in-room showers have beer taps inside them!

#7402 4 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

I try to not make ANYTHING I do harm another person. That's my line.

Sheesh... PantherCityPins takes this so seriously, you’d think he swore some kind of oath or something?

#8275 4 years ago
Quoted from PinJim:

I’m growing a garden and setting live traps....

Better get your seeds now, Burpee and Gurney’s are already sold out of a lot of stuff. Local garden center is supposed to call when they have more vegetable starts in.

#8773 4 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

Tonight we boiled some brats in beer and onion and finished on the griddle

That does it, I am buying one of these. I have never liked propane grills, but having a griddle is a different story. My kitchen ventilation is crap unless I open the windows (getting a range hood when I get around to remodeling) so I don’t grill or fry as much as I would like inside the house. This will be perfect.

#8784 4 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

One of your local Wal-Marts has the 36" Pro Series (last year's model) for $250 right now.

That’s cheaper than the one I planned on getting! Thanks, I will call them tomorrow.

#9409 4 years ago
Quoted from chad:

Sadly, there will come a day where humans never leave their homes. Digital interaction only. Deliveries via drones or robots. I personally hope this never happens!!

The dream is alive!

#10642 4 years ago
6B42ECEA-A7CD-468C-B260-B0E04D8C1CB3 (resized).jpeg6B42ECEA-A7CD-468C-B260-B0E04D8C1CB3 (resized).jpeg
4 weeks later
#13820 3 years ago

California State U. System Will Conduct Most Fall Classes Online

https://www.chronicle.com/article/California-State-U-System/248759

I suspect we’ll see more announcements like that from other colleges and universities once all the non-refundable deposits have come in.

Could be a good year for students who are still on the waitlist for their dream school since a lot of first year undergrads are likely to defer if they can’t have the true college experience. Should be less of an issue for returning students to do another semester online.

#13846 3 years ago

Stanford unlikely to bring all undergrads back in fall or delay quarter, admins say Administrators outline possible “new normal” of residential, academic life

https://www.stanforddaily.com/2020/05/12/stanford-unlikely-to-bring-all-undergrads-back-in-fall-or-delay-quarter-admins-say/

The rest of the dominoes will probably start falling (though probably not until early June) now that they have the “cover” of “well, if Stanford with their world-class hospital, state of the art facilities, and $27 billion endowment says they are not taking a business as usual approach this fall semester, what are we supposed to do?”

1 month later
#15978 3 years ago

If anyone is wondering about the reasoning behind many colleges’s and universities’ reopening plans, this is pretty funny (and accurate)!

A MESSAGE FROM YOUR UNIVERSITY’S VICE PRESIDENT FOR MAGICAL THINKING by JULIANA GRAY

Our strategy is outlined below, but the short answer is this: Our university will proceed as if everything will be okay because we really, really want it to be.

https://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/a-message-from-your-universitys-vice-president-for-magical-thinking

#15984 3 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

The reasoning is money.

Oh of course... but what makes the McSweeney’s piece fun is how it talks around that issue.

Having read several colleges’ and universities’ “real” reopening plans, some are “hand-wavy and hopium fueled” and some are “very comprehensive, forward thinking and solid plans.”

Regardless, the likelihood of successful implementation of either of those those types plans is a totally different issue. A lot has to go right vs. not much having to go wrong.

I wonder how many institutions that have publicly announced they are reopening this fall will back down by the end of July (in light of what is likely to be several weeks of increasingly dire news about resurgences, new outbreaks and rising death tolls)?

Even schools that stay the course are likely to have a lot of parents decide that their son or daughter is going to defer this year. I think grad, professional and returning undergrad students are more likely to attend than first-year undergrads. But if I were going to graduate in 2021 the prospect of a dismal job market might make me want to take a year off too.

#16085 3 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

There's been a long building "science denial" issue here in America that has downstream effects like this.

“I have a foreboding of an America in my children’s or grandchildren’s time — when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers are in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what’s true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness…

The dumbing down of American is most evident in the slow decay of substantive content in the enormously influential media, the 30 second sound bites (now down to 10 seconds or less), lowest common denominator programming, credulous presentations on pseudoscience and superstition, but especially a kind of celebration of ignorance”

― Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark (1995

2 weeks later
#17038 3 years ago
Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

And when the 3 Gorges dam breaks??

If that dam collapses, China’s coronavirus problems will look like a walk in the park.

4 weeks later
#17981 3 years ago

UNC Chapel Hill’s in person semester lasted 8 days...

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/education/article245014185.html

Great headline on The Daily Tar Heel

68289163-3FD6-46AB-BA3E-E6F31EDBD01D (resized).jpeg68289163-3FD6-46AB-BA3E-E6F31EDBD01D (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider c508.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread?tu=c508 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.