272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 Important warning Posted by Daditude (4 years ago)

Post #6 Coronavirus website with up-to-the-moment stats Posted by Daditude (4 years ago)

Post #172 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #193 Name of disease and of the virus Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #209 Explains why you need social distancing Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #239 Comment on seasonality Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #251 Avoid ibuprofen Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #370 Info on chloroquine Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #530 News from Italy Posted by Pedretti_Gaming (4 years ago)

Post #693 Important info and advice Posted by ForceFlow (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Trogdor.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#1040 4 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

Correct. At least for Northern Italy, and that's where the virus hit the hardest.

I heard it was due to the large migrant Chinese population working in the textile factories in Lombardy region. Spread to locals that still attend church, cafes... and kaboom

#1582 4 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

It’s a reco for anybody who has a baby.

True, but women who have stopped breastfeeding have a hard time restarting or making enough for an older baby. Need formula.

#1632 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Hopefully it's the side of being a human being and not on the side of being an antagonistic divisive a'hole manbaby.

What side are you on?- due to amount of division you are instigating yourself I am a little confused.
I side with USA- China made this hell on earth with their incompetence.

#1639 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Funny, for a month or more it was the Wuhan virus for obvious reasons. When our leader decided he finally had to be on board, he started calling it the Chinese virus. It had multiple real names prior to that. It doesn't matter if it started in China or not, it's not about him calling the Chinese virus, it's about WHY he is calling it the Chinese virus, and it has nothing to do with 'because it started in china'. As I said, either extremely lazy, or trying to make 'china' the enemy to distract from his horrendous handling early on. Either one is bad. You can pick whichever you want.

If it drives into voters minds that having supply chains and jobs in foreign countries is idiotic and destroys a middle class we desperately need- he can call it IdiotChineseCommunist virus for all I care.

#3625 4 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Some "general" info that may or may not have been posted allready, coming to you from my butt sitting working (*cough*) in a local hospital:
Plz note that even if you're not a high risk group, in case of a severe infection, you'll most likely survive but are also likely to stick with a constant lung damage.
To reduce the risk of any inflamation/ prevent that from happening, plz. stroll around for at least 20 minutes a day (and expose some Skin to the sun to genrate Vitamin D, wich reduces Inflammation risk) and... eat a lot of curry, because Cucuma is also very good to prevent getting an inflamation.
This is not some Vodoo mumbo jumbo, it actually helps (you and me):
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1297319X10002708
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19594223
Also of course eat healthy (Vitamin C helps the immune system in general).
Stay healthy!

Interesting- but need study which shows reduced inflammation increases chance of CV survival. Ibuprofen is anti-inflammatory but they thought that increased risk. Now, backtracking from that claim- hard to study. You would need to suppress immune response to decrease inflammation- is that good idea in viral situation?

#3997 4 years ago

This isn’t the America I was born into or grew up in. Not trying to be overly dramatic, but America is dead. You can have your tinpot despot. I’ll be in New York.

Is that you Michelle Obama?

#4019 4 years ago

Haha, this.
Interesting how people bash others for blindly supporting their elected officials, only to do the same..
They all dropped the ball because very few of them have a medical background.

#4028 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Math is hard, I know.

So at what magic number of deaths per day do we go back to work then? Easter is a dream so scared people have some light. This virus will still be raging and everyone will have to go back to work. Or is it only fair that grocery, factory, amazon warehouse, and healthcare workers risk their families lives?

#4092 4 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

As one of the moderators, let me explain why I personally think this thread is useful and why I advocate keeping it open, despite the hard-to-avoid "political bs" and multiple moderation notices:
It may help saving lives later and I hope you will find useful information (again, look for key posts if you want to decrease noise...) and perhaps some comfort.
Believe me, I now live in a ghost town and it's kind of scary.
It would be so much easier for us to close this thread!

Right on! If you can’t take it, go talk about pinball. Can you disable the up-down votes in this section? Seems a gang are going around just down voting even relevant posts.

#4368 4 years ago

I already responded to you. It’s because NYC is an order of magnitude more complex than Utah, or anywhere else.
To Wit:
Largest city in the country. 9M people. Double LA, 3x Chicago and 18x SLC. 4x the entire state of Utah. Density is 27,000 people per square mile. SLC is like, 2,000.
Every day in NYC, 600k students receive free lunches from the nyc school system. Shutting down this system puts a large number of children at risk. There are 200k people in the entire Salt Lake City. 600k kids is equal to 25% of the population of your entire state.
Every day 300,000 people travel through NYC area airports. Every day more people travel through NYC airports than live the entire city of Salt Lake. Every 10 days more people pass through NYC airports than live in the entire state of Utah. Shutting international airports down is a big deal. The governor and the mayor don’t have a lot of control over that.
4M people work everyday in NYC. Different jobs, different areas, all important. Takes a little planning ahead to figure out how to clamp it down.
There are approximately 160+ different nationalities in NYC, speaking 800 different languages, and about 50% of these people don’t speak English as a first language.
NYC jails hold about 8,000 people on ay given day. About 1,000 correction officers keep track of them. Need to keep tabs on all of them.
Let’s look at “essential employees” in NYC. That have to be understood and managed.
Mass transit: 75,000 employees supporting over 15M people in the 5,000 square mile area of the NYC metro area. Managing this alone is like managing the entire public workforce of the state of Utah.
Cops: 40,000 cops, plus 10,000 more auxiliary “type” enforcement positions . How to plan and deploy for a shutdown? When a city of 9M people need to be protected and served?
Firefighters/EMTs = 18,000. See above.
25,000 doctors and 100,000 (!) nurses. All essential employees. They need to get to work, make sure their kids are cared for (and fed), and they need to have the proper PPE. That’s over half of your largest city right there. Piece of cake to manage that shut down, right?
You either have unrealistic expectations or don’t understand the order of magnitude of New York City. cities and states all over the country looked for the Fed to provide leadership and guidance. When NONE came, Governors and Mayors took matters into their own hands.
Don’t think Deblasio and Cuomo were standing Round twiddling their thumbs while they waited. They were planning the rational shut down and management of the largest city in the country, while anticipating the single largest health crisis the country has seen in 100 years. Never once did they discount the threat, hurl insults or pat themselves on the back. Or reference “corrupt media” or the “deep state”. They asked for help weeks ago.
You may be proud of your state of Utah’s response in the face of 20 cases 2 weeks ago (and 500 now), and good for you. NYC had over 700 then and over 20,000 now. It’s a different ballgame in NYC. Basically the big leagues. And your persistent questioning of how NYC has handled things (not to mention your earlier riffs on NY ski visitors bringing the virus to Utah) rings pretty hollow to me.
We’re playing chess here in NY, not checkers.

Did u work on this all day? Ok- it is a hard job running a city of 9 million. But it’s easy to run a country of 330m? Your argument, if used on a national level, would validate Trumps handling of situation.. Bravo. NY officials can close airports, highways, schools.. they didn’t because they saw same information fed officials were seeing- many cases already spreading, will not be possible to contain, why seriously damage our economy if it is a bad flu? They all gambled.
Every school district around the country have kids that would starve without school- get over yourself. Does it matter if 1 or 600k? Would they have starved to death? Maybe. Will a New Yorker die because of delay in shutting down? Many. Not sure about rest, but Wisconsin closed schools and Milwaukee public schools are offering free meals for pick up.
With logic like yours, any wonder why there is an electoral college?

#6442 4 years ago

Is Cuomo correct? Less then 20% of patients on ventilators survive? Would they have survived without the ventilator? If correct, this is shocking. They stressed importance of ventilators and how blunting the curve will not overtax limited ventilators. Less then 20% seems almost statistically insignificant. If lung cells become infected, they die- cannot oxygenate blood. Why would ventilators help? For all we know, inducing coma could be the intervention needed.

Also, the drug scene has escalated with little coverage. Apparently fentanyl laced meth is killing it- especially if you mix in a little wasp killer spray. Crazy cheap and dehabilitating. Paying people not to work and not leave home may have a larger effect on society then just boredom.

#6540 4 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

1. 20% is statistically insignificant? I disagree.
2. Go back and read my posts on ARDS.

I understand principle of ARDS. Question is at less then 20% survival, why is this 1st or 2nd on list for inadequate resources? How confident are we the ventilator made the difference? With the inherent risks of putting someone on a ventilator, demand on staff, length of time on ventilator - I don’t see this being viable if we get hundreds of thousands of cases. We don’t have infinite resources of ventilators or ventilator trained staff in all corners of USA.
What is survival rate with oxygen and sedation?

#7546 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:https://www.britannica.com/event/Asian-flu-of-1957
My 81 yr old parents survived the Asian flu back in college. Killed an estimated 1-2 million people.
Here we are today. Somehow made it through.

Did you see that 105 yr old WWII vet? Survived this, WWII, and Spanish flu. Some f.ing people..

#7552 4 years ago

Also interesting read out in Wall Street so I’m sure huge amount of people with all the wisdom here missed it. Basically, theory has it we use viral genes in several of our every day functions- like memory. Possibly a viral attack on a fish may have led to first organism walking on land. Probably will be debunked in few months, but would explain somewhat how fast we evolved from microorganism.

#7710 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

So all those people who are so concerned about all the other ways we die that kill so many more than this virus should be happy we are in quarantine since it's essentially lowering most of those other ways to die significantly right? (*cough*)

So heart disease, smoking, strokes, and cirrhosis will all disappear because people are staying home? Wouldn’t be surprised if we see a serious uptick.

#7719 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Depends. Uptick in some, downtick in others. Eating 'healthier', but less exercise. More stress for some (maybe most). Drinking/Smoking - they already had that problem - which could have been lowered, but those are under the essentials categories.
Of course, you're splitting hairs here. We're talking about the things people actually were using as reasons against it, like driving. All of these things above are self inflicted and don't spread to others.

I’m splitting hairs- ok... The point they were trying to make is that millions of people die every year and we don’t shut down. We profit from killing people with cigarettes and alcohol- but everybody sit in your house for the less then 20% of people that enter the ICU(not total cases) that come off ventilators because we are bastions of compassion all of a sudden? Let’s legalize pot! The people who smoked and are obese are significantly higher percentage in the death totals- have their self inflicted problems spread?
With no definitive plan of how long this lasts for how many truly healthy people are dying, it will be questioned. We wait for peak in NY, then back to business? That is a fairy tale. This is not going anywhere. With airports and highways open, this will spike again and again around the world. Those at risk and unlucky will die with no scaleable solution. This is the way..

#8723 4 years ago

Wow.. $1000 for social distance violation? Are they going around with six foot poles or busting private functions? No way this will hold as weather gets nicer. Hard for kids to rationalize someone else’s existence when they are dying of boredom. Many adults also..

#9275 4 years ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

The issue is "maximizing shareholder value" and "CEO compensation" drove it all there.
I just turned 43. Yet even I can still remember a time when:
Toys
TVs
Shoes
Bicycles
Textiles
Lawnmowers
Books
Tools
Car parts
Furniture
Baby gear
Useless decorative shit
Everyday sports equipment
*medicine of all things*
And more
Was commonly and easily found "Made in the USA" without effort. Like, Kmart and Walmart and walgreens and Lowes and sears all had shelves piled high with American output. And it wasn't all that long ago!
But now MIUSA is all boutique, artisan, and holy grail effort. Mass retail is populated by entire stores that wouldn't know American Made if a bald eagle shat ammunition on their (made in China) door steps.
It didn't have to be that way. And just as easily as it was all shipped there to chase profit by teaching a nation of know-nothings how to work for slave wages, the knowledge and ability and tooling could transfer back here.
Well, if not for profits, and environments, and whatever the excuses will be. Got a 401K? Then make sure those profits are maximized against your own best interest...

Those were the days. We also had more pollution. Then there are the unions. Is it worth a strong middle class to increase prices on most manufactured goods and make it difficult to breath? I would vote yes but I have money to blow on pinball.
I also found out that the garlic powder I’ve been using is from China. How? What? Huh?..Hope it’s garlic..

#9683 4 years ago

Virus “reactivating” in South Korea? 91 cases of previously recovered patients again testing positive. Could be bad data but not the news I want to hear.
With all the tests going around, not sure which ones are testing for exactly what. If only looking for a small sequence of viral capsid or mRNA- how are they determining contagiousness?

#9780 4 years ago
Quoted from Mizzou0103:

Here’s the link for anyone that missed it. It links to a summary but the full article is linked at the bottom.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/11/us/coronavirus-live-updates.html#link-73167b75
Here’s a direct lift from the summary.
“Dozens of interviews and a review of emails and other records by The New York Times revealed many previously unreported details of the roots and extent of his halting response:
The National Security Council office responsible for tracking pandemics received intelligence reports in early January predicting the spread of the virus, and within weeks raised options like keeping Americans home from work and shutting down large cities.
Despite Mr. Trump’s denial, he was told at the time about a Jan. 29 memo produced by his trade adviser, Peter Navarro, laying out in striking detail the potential risks of a coronavirus pandemic.
The health and human services secretary directly warned Mr. Trump of the possibility of a pandemic during a call on Jan. 30, the second warning he delivered to the president about the virus. The president said he was being alarmist.
The health secretary publicly announced in February that the government was establishing a “surveillance” system in five American cities to measure the spread of the virus. It was delayed for weeks, leaving administration officials with almost no insight into how rapidly the virus was spreading.”

This is all factual. But it is leaving out what other information was in play in the world. Yes, we knew about it. But China launched martial control and overreaction by US at that point, as seen in such hits as - Bird flu, MERS, swine flu- was unwarranted. By end of January, there were less then 2k confirmed cases worldwide. That was about time some guy came on here, said they quarantined him, and opened a go fund me page- only giving that as a reference. Who thought closing schools and airports was a good idea at that time? With the playoffs, Super-Bowl and March madness around the corner? No way!
We never fully trusted info coming out of China. If anything, this proves danger of dealing with a pseudo communist/dictatorship country. China had only started trade negotiations with US mid January- they couldn’t afford bad press. Gravity of situation only took place when Italy was hit. Most of Europe didn’t do anything until after US. Should we have done more? Yes. Are airports, highways, and borders still open? Yes- we are playing quarantine. By time we closed flights to Europe- we knew enough that people could be asymptomatic carriers. Yet, we let those people walk off the planes and go home? We checked temperatures.. All persons responsible for that call- even if Trump- need to be fired.
Should we have kept CDC pandemic task force funded when news in China developed? Yes. That is biggest concern for me- who is in charge of CDC funding and what was their motivation? Perfectly good German test being used, we make our own?

#10323 4 years ago
Quoted from bwill:

How would social distancing limit Cancer, Heart Disease, or Diabetes deaths? Be specific in your answer.

Isn’t that the point- government intervention could decrease deaths by those diseases. Why aren’t there higher taxes on giant bags of puff Cheetos? Because it would limit freedom... If you want to kill yourself by Cheetos or liquor, it is no longer your problem- it stresses a healthcare system paid for by all- well, all those that pay taxes and premiums.

#10325 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I guess a crown of thorns is actually very similar in protective qualities to a tin foil hat.

Yeaahhh... so close to Easter? Not a great joke.

#10605 4 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

I'm always shocked to find people making homophobic quips in this the year 2020. It feels like such a throwback to 30 years ago.
Like, do people not know that there is a huge population of LGBTQ people in the pinball world?

True. But if you are epigenetically raised to be homophobic, are we “just” in putting them in the closet? Discuss..
By that, I’m saying LGBTQ people are epigenetically that way- some factor after birth. If you are born into a society that embraces homophobia- epigenetic- how can we now condemn these people? Gay conversion therapy is banned but we can convert homophobic people? Will homophobicphobic become the new word? HPP?

As of now, science has found LGBTQ are not genetic- born that way. It maybe epigenetic, not conclusive which could mean it isn’t genetic at all. My stance- all attractive women should continue making out. If heterosexuals can return to a successful 100% marriage rate, they should get their word back. Fine, fine.. 95%.

1 week later
#12300 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I'd agree with all of those except Al Jazeera, which has its own agenda. You'll never see an expose of Saudi misdeeds on AJ, they just aren't interested in factual reality there and are in some cases complicit in covering it up. Also, their western coverage (Europe/US) often has a subtle to not-so subtle agenda. Not nearly as bad as RT or Sputnik, but it's there. BBC also has started to let propaganda creep into their coverage, most recently with Huawei coverage.
But anyway, PBS, NPR, CBC for sure. I usually recommend PBS Newshour first because no one can come up with a reason why they're "libs" or "trump-lovers" - because in general, they're the switzerland of news, the way news used to be everywhere.

Strong agree with Al Jazeera but sadly, PBS cannot still be considered due to several recent changes, most notably the hiring of Alcindor. PBS needs to appeal to all spectrums due to fundraising but somethings changed. Maybe they feared the amount of Koch brother donations had compromised their reputation. Or maybe the Koch people are pulling strings left for some reason. If people in charge are left leaning, they assume they are unbiased by only being moderately left leaning.
CNBC news updates seem surprisingly unbiased. My order for nightly news left to center- ABC, PBS, CBS, NBC.

3 months later
#17659 3 years ago

JAMA released study still tracking 12% infection rate in hospital staff- everybody is masked. Granted, some staff not as professional as others- daily exposure to lots of covid. But,.. wow! So, any school district/ college opening is basically accepting this infection rate with increasing rates for decreasing ages? Why would anyone go off to college this fall?

#17704 3 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

None of this would be necessary, if Leadership did 2 things.
Tons of Masks, and Tons of Words, and Pictures saying "Wear a mask, or we will need to institute Policies"
At this time, there are many that believe Statues and Buildings are more important than American Lives.
(and Ive lost the 12th person I know, too young, IMO)

Again, 12% of healthcare professionals with masks everywhere still became positive. Positive doesn’t mean you get sick necessarily, but you can spread it to someone that can die. Imagine infection rate for 6 yr olds or people after having a couple of beers. There is no safe way for schools, restaurants, bars, grocery stores,.. to function without substantial risk. If a person can become infected twice- documented, a vaccine might not work. There is no easy answer.

3 weeks later
#18205 3 years ago

I actually have been helping our ISD a little with their protocols and reopening. The numbers in Tarrant county have been improving and our ISD put in pretty strict protocols. In addition, remote learning at the high school level is a pretty big handicap when kids are competing for GPA and class rank.
That's all to say after A LOT of discussion and debate my wife and I decided to go with in person learning.

Whoaa! “In-person”? The doc joined the Dark Side!?!! Is this allowed? Everybody gave this a pass or most pinsiders are banned? So bars, restaurants, arcades should follow?

That must have been some debate. Who won? I get it, kid has a chance at the Ivy Leagues and caution went out the window. People were arguing this back in March and where shunned. Virtual school was/is a joke, they even dumbed down the AP tests. My kid got college credits for filling in his name- can’t wait til they’re managing our social security. We are making a nice surprise for them though, good luck paying off $30trillion!! He missed out on scholarships, prom, graduation.. for everybody to start up school again six months later with 10x the new daily cases then when we shutdown? So, for nothing.. My area is staying virtual- suburbanites can afford tutors I guess.

Then my kid got covid anyway! Parents of the year! The wife let him go to grad parties, I said no -right as usual. What teenager listens to adults anyway?

If we open schools, have to go for herd immunity. Let the kids take their masks off and have activities. They will do it anyway. It sucks for teachers but same for fast food employees, meat processors, farm laborers, at-risk-parents.. Cases will escalate, hundreds of thousands will die but what is alternative? Anybody saying test and trace needs to show math and plan to shutdown all air/highway travel. Vaccines? Good luck waiting for the 2billionth dose available.. Also will need several boosters.

#18218 3 years ago

1. The only people I see as being "on the dark side" are those who either deny the seriousness of COVID-19, say it is a hoax or post blatant misinformation which could harm others.
2. Yes, I decided to send my kids back to in person school. Since you asked, let me elaborate the steps I took before making that decision:
--I track the local county COVID dashboard daily. I have been following the trends of the overall case rate, the percentage of patients in the hospitals who are there for COVID and the case positivity rate.
--I reviewed the latest COVID projection data from our local medical school/university which projected COVID activity through mid-September.
--I attempted to extrapolate the county COVID curves to estimate what the disease activity would be around the time of school starting.
--I attended and spoke at the school board meeting and advised them that their proposed opening date of August 19th was too early and they should push the date back at least a week if not two. They did decide to push the opening back one week after that board meeting.
--I participated in a physician advisory panel for the superintendent and reviewed the ISD's proposed prevention and mitigation measures. I provided my input along with several other physicians and important changes were made.
--Based on the above measures my wife and I decided that there was a decent chance that our county would be meeting or close to meeting the county health department's guidelines for safer opening of schools. We also took into consideration that we have two kids in high school that want to keep their class rank and we felt that remote learning might handicap them. We decided that unless the COVID activity was above acceptable levels we didn't want to handicap them unnecessarily.
--In case you're wondering, our schools mandate masking at all times, have plexiglass dividers between desks if the desks can't be 6 feet apart, limit entry to the school to students and staff only, have an online monitoring form that parents must fill out every morning (including temperature check), hallways are one way only to limit student mixing during passing periods, etc.
--My wife and I track the local ISD COVID dashboard every morning and have told our kids we reserve the right to pull them into remote learning should the numbers start going the wrong way.
3. I think I've been pretty consistent in saying that the answer lies somewhere in the middle. I think that opening schools in areas where it is reasonable safe to do so makes a lot of sense. There are a lot of negative effects on kids from keeping schools closed. If a school can open without undue danger to the kids and the community, I think it should. That does NOT equate to opening bars, concerts, sporting events, etc. Those are not activities that carry the same importance to me as a kids education.
As was posted above, you're throwing out a false dichotomy that I'm not going to bite on or accept. There is a way to make smart choices and open some important services up without throwing caution to the wind and letting COVID run its course. Case in point, I've been seeing patients every day since this all began and I have yet to become infected (knock on wood) despite seeing multiple positive cases in person. That's because we practice good mitigation measures like masking, wearing gowns, wearing eye protection and gloves whenever we see a possible COVID patient. The rooms are also sanitized and not used for at least an hour after a possible COVID patient is seen.
I know it's easier to take a black or white view of things and it probably makes for better internet forum fodder but the reality of informed decision making isn't so exciting.

Thanks for the breakdown, I was actually curious in your process. I define the “dark side” as anyone who doesn’t go along with a 2 week martial law shutdown with continual track and trace for any reopening- isn’t that what we did wrong?
Several healthcare professionals I know agree with you, and they offered little analysis. They also don’t understand that if their kid tests positive, their hospital will keep them from practicing for at least a week. Also have to inform all patients you saw since child became ill, not when tested positive. Rescheduling is fun, right?

Black or white, internet fodder? Easy? Fake dichotomy? Ok.. Maybe I seemed a “dark side” hero? Haha. More of a Lando..
Did you equate a hospital setting with a high school? You didn’t use that at the board meeting, right? Our high school is 1200 kids, probably 500 were vaping last year and that was plain illegal. Yeah, they’ll social distance.

Good luck - no seriously- on your assumption you will see the first wave of new infections coming. Real data - after months of grad parties with no cases- one kid ,who didn’t feel great but didn’t get a test, went to three mostly outdoor parties and infected 30 people. One kid- one night. Small suburb of 25k, with less then 300 cases in entire 60k county to date by July. Why didn’t he stay home? teenager, no reason needed. That kid made 30 families quarantine for over a week. But we all accepted the fact this could happen- we are all to blame. I am at risk, my mom is at risk- why did we allow it? Why did we put his stupid parties ahead of our years of life? I guess math.. calculated risk and/or stupidity. That’s probably why they closed down our district.

Reminds me of Jeff Goldblum in Jurassic Park. Those damn mathematicians messing up good money and good scientific work. Make a perfect environment for all to feel completely safe, until.. human nature.
Small school in nearby district has 3 cases and 85 in quarantine- after two days. They did something wrong? Are people accepting that their kid may get coronavirus or are they expecting complete control?

1 week later
#18376 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

Since Sturgis is still in the news, here’s an academic study of the predicted health and economic costs.
Ball park numbers. Rally predicted to cause at least 250,000 new infections and $12 billion in economic damage.
http://ftp.iza.org/dp13670.pdf

Did anybody look at the 63 pages? Their “activity” map shows only a high moderate level from southeast Wisconsin- the birthplace of Harley?! Suspect data. They also use an average case expense of $46k! It isn’t $12b in healthcare cost, they are estimating the value of functional loss from another German study using our dept. of trans. data but not respecting our conclusions. But if people aren’t working, we already LOST this money.. And how many of these people are retired anyway? How could we have even $46k in loss if 80% of cases are asymptomatic and maybe 95% return to work after 11 days? Let’s calculate economic damage from 100m people not working for 6 months..

If you look at the Safegraph sample charts on their site, there is a huge increase in foot traffic at Mexican restaurants during the same period. Hmmm Sturgis or too many people getting Margaritas and making bad Corona jokes? Actually, foot traffic at most types of restaurants, shopping, and industry- around the country!-was up during this period. Can you now attribute 20% of 1.9m cases in US- is this entire US or just cherry picked counties that they saw a rise in cases?- to Sturgis? Seems a stretch with everything in US going on at this time.

Sturgis wasn’t a great idea but it is amazing any news outlet picked up this “story”. It also noted that Sturgis did actually stress PPE and social distancing.

No, don’t own a motorcycle.

#18396 3 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

Do you really think the risk is equivalent?
If I had to choose between spending an hour outside with mask at a BLM protest vs inside a Sturgis bar without a mask on Day 9 of the rally - I would think the protest held less risk.

Interesting how this was mentioned in the study and why we have to suspect the motives of the study. As we have seen in Milwaukee and Kenosha, BLM protests were many hours over many days with people coming from several areas that also involved large amounts of individuals from an ethnicity considered at a higher risk. Why did the study basically write off the protesters but internationally shame a bunch of bikers? It was a sad day for science, like the Al Gore days of climatology.
There was another study done by some conservative think tank saying their data was showing a direct correlation between harsh lockdowns and huge spikes when relaxed. Didn’t get much media- seems like some more cherry picked data.

We can’t even make bikers wear helmets in WI, but they have to wear masks? Crashing at over 60mph, maybe you don’t want any chance of survival. Their safety might not affect my survival, but it does add considerably to our shared healthcare burden. If a helmet infringes on individual liberties, how do you enforce a mask? They don’t have to wear helmets, but I have to endure their obnoxiously tuned exhausts? Where are my freedoms? Anybody follow the twitter storm with that Olympic volleyballer Walsh-Trainer or something? She is surprisingly eloquent, I’ve known a lot of volleyballers. I don’t agree with her, but I imagine she is only saying what possibly millions of others are feeling. This is a long haul..

#18440 3 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

I am sure the protests increased infections as well - masks or no masks - especially with the tear gassing and what not. I don't think anyone has made the claim it is innocuous.
Sturgis was another order of risk though and a superb opportunity for study. No masks, indoor and outdoor crowds with virtually no regard for corona. Just one location with 400,000 people with only 7,000 locals (none of the protests had anywhere close to this number and way more locals) and cell phone data easier to extract and utilize.
Sometimes there isn't a conspiracy and a banana is just a banana.

So if a banana is not a banana? Did you read the study? Again, the STUDY used the BLM protests as an example of an innocuous public meeting. Milwaukee had days of people driving around in cars for protests(nothing says outrage more then driving around, honking your horn) and we are assuming they all quarantine together, right? Didn’t Mayor DeBlasio order tracers not to ask people if they attended a protest? I wonder if they did use these crap analytics for the protests, what numbers would they get? Yes, there were way more then 400k protesters around country. Sturgis was a superb opportunity for study and these jokers botched it and it was picked up all over. Assuming it actually was 400k(SD used traffic data which doesn’t specify if novel rider) and they all behaved exactly the same, is not science. If it was not intended to be accurate, what were their intentions?

As U Madison and U of I Champagne are locking down, which made less sense? Bikers or university administrators? 1000 cases at Madtown in about two weeks. UI was on CNBC a couple weeks ago with an amazing all in-house testing protocol and all was going well until nobody enforced quarantine of positive students! And anybody arguing Sturgis was frivolous and UMadtown are people looking to improve themselves has not gone down Langdon St. I get it- college kids should be at school and this sucks.

Article Tuesday in WSJ states 0.6% death rate for those that get the virus. I wish somebody did an article on how this is computed with 80% asymptomatic.

1 week later
#18658 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

from the NY Post itself, a rebuttal article.
https://nypost.com/2020/09/16/us-virologists-dispute-chinese-whistleblowers-covid-19-claim/
As it currently stands, her claims have as much scientific validity as those that continue to tout hydroxy as a cure-all.

Hey- did you read the rebuttal? Virologists agreed with her process, not the conclusion. They can’t disprove her either. She actually has some scientific chops. As do countless scientists that proved the use of hydroxy for many illnesses, just not SARS2. But, as she will unfortunately learn, selling or accepting money from conservative sources will get you ostracized from an ever increasing liberal scientific community. We had mass pollution when business dominated science, where will the new age take us?

How would you prove this is man-made? After first infections, many possibly man made components will be replaced by parts from the hosts cells. Translational errors and other mutations make it unbelievably difficult once several waves of infections. Unless a whistleblower escapes from these high security labs with an initial sample, seems impossible. I’m sure us pinsiders can figure it out.

2 weeks later
#19048 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

Press conference by the president’s doctors blew up the timeline. If doctors are correct, he tested positive a day and a half earlier than the official White House date.
Also means he was a known positive when he came to Minneapolis rally and the New Jersey fundraiser.

Some source is saying he meant this is day 3, not 72 hrs ago. There is crazy and then there is I really don’t want to get re-elected crazy. Well, Gov. Evers got his wish- no Trump coming to our already crazy land. Almost 3k new cases other day. We beat Poland by 1000. It baffles me how this situation has progressed. We had less then 100 cases- complete shut-down. Now, 3k and “please wear a mask..”?? We knew this in Feb. Packers are playing, kids are in school- why wouldn’t cases explode? At least the Brewers lost early- not like anybody was having parties watching that crap fest..

#19234 3 years ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

Well, I think this will be the last time I post in here just because, like stated, there's not a lot of 'rona news in here except disputed and arguable "facts" and that no matter what I say in here, those on the opposite side of my oppinion are not going to be moved to change, so why even bother? I will continue doing what I know science has determined as the best course forward, I will isolate and "hide" from the virus until we have a vaccine, and then only one that has been thouroughly vetted and tested, including the two month delay after trials to see if any longer term affects surface. I am certainly not taking a vaccine from China, Russia, or any other foreign developed and tested drug. When all the leading epidemiologists start taking it, then I will take it. To the "dicknoses" of the world, I hope someday we can look back and point to them as the ones who made this worse than it needed to be, and everyone that didn't wear a mask, didn't socially distance, and just "kept on doing what they wanted" will feel the guilt that they are responsible for a portion of the people who have, or who will eventually be killed by this virus. I don't care how many lives that "so and so" claims to have saved by shutting down travel, or how many lives we would have lost if "such and such" had been in power and not stopped travel, the fact remains... This virus is here, it's killing Americans, and we ALL need to do our part to fight it.
If we were to take this populace of America back to 1942 and let them fight the Second World War, we all would be marching the goosestep and or be bowing to an emporer right now. When will people understand there are times when the needs of the many outweight the needs of the individual, and that individual freedoms and rights are a privilige that, some time in your life, you may have to give up in order to beat the enemy.
Could you image people in the UK who said "Screw these blackouts" and kept on burning their lights... not only would they have found themselves in trouble, they might have ended up finding themselves dead, and not necessarily at the hands of the enemy, however that was probabaly more likely as they would get the first round of bombs dropped on them during a raid. People like to think that our freedoms are sacred and inviolate, but I beg to differ. If the enemy is coming over the ridge, you do not have the right to stand up, and say "Its my right to show the enemy where we are" because you would be arrested for sedition or treason, or both, if you even lived to tell the tale.
There is a reason that the Armed Services are not covered by the Constitution, but by the Articles of the UCMJ or Unified Code of Military Justice. Under the Constitution, individuals have rights that the ordinary soldier does not. This is by design and by Law, because the UCMJ puts in place a hiearchy of the chain of command, and gives the commanding officer the right and responsibility to ask and demand that YOU GIVE YOUR LIFE FOR YOUR COUNTRY. Or as us veterans like to call it, the Ultimate Sacrifice is requested by your country.
We are now faced with an unseen enemy, one that kills indescrimanantly, and without emotion. When asked to wear a mask, to socially distance, and limit the spread of the enemy, people act like you are asking them for the Ultimate Sacrifice, and I have to say, as a Veteran, you people make me sick. I worked, sweated gallons of sweat, run many miles, pushed many a pushup, sacrificed my time, energy, and blood to keep this country great while in the Navy. And all we are asking you to do is be a little inconvienced with a piece of cloth and some string. We are not asking you to face the enemy without a shield, as a matter of fact, the mask sort of is the shield, but we all must wear it for it to work.
If the enemy was lobbing bullets and motars at you, would you stand up, remove your flak jacket or BPV, and run blindly at the enemy? NO. So why do so many want to try this with COVID19?!?
BH

Compelling argument, and you’re not completely wrong. Yeah, I don’t even want to imagine this USA fighting a war. But you’re not completely correct either and that is why some people in here are discussing this with civility. I hope you continue.

A war analogy is tempting, but this virus would be more akin to a German bomber dropping bombs on 100 houses and the people inside know 99 of them would receive no damage or death. They might turn the lights low for a few weeks, but not for months. One similar analogy to WW2- the majority of Americans said, for years, let the Europeans fight their own war and why the conspiracy theory of Pearl Harbor will never be put to rest. Could we have changed the course of WW2 if we entered in 1939? Possibly, but we weren’t prepared. Our air force used biplanes, we used cavalry.. Imagine Dunkirk with hundreds of thousands of ill equipped Americans. We would have left the war and would all be speaking German.

I wear a mask. But I also understand there is a real threat to a significant amount of the worldwide population who know they can’t weather this economic hardship for over a year. If people think it is unsafe outside to the point that they have to wear a mask, they stay home and the economy will suffer. Wearing a mask in a 50% capacity restaurant or theater will not work in areas that can’t keep windows open- economically or to prevent spread- they take their masks off.. I’m staying home, people 18-40 with no at risk individuals in the house, why should they?
Hospitality, tourism, and travel will crater- what happens to those workers and business owners? And those sectors that live off them? Good luck Boeing shareholders!- and that affects everybody with a pension/ retirement plan.. We are setting ourselves up for some wicked inflation in 10 years, anybody close to or will be retired?
Sacrifice works both ways- good of the many or good of the few? Depends on how close one is to the poverty level..

WI hit a new high yesterday! It is bizarre, but our officials have basically given up. Well, we went from 50% restaurant occupancy to 25%.. Yep, that ought to do it! In April, Governor was on tv everyday talking about nothing- we had less then 500 cases. Now, not a peep. Mandating masks gave people illusion it prevented spread, people still had parties and everything else. Close bars or don’t, they still go drink. Some friends of mine came back to WI and took their parents(over 80) to a bar! Everybody told them NO! They all have Covid now.
Scientists have also released another study on neck gaiters- apparently they do work if more then one layer. Ahh...science..

1 week later
#19510 3 years ago

I guess New Zealand will be getting their treatments from China and the USSR. He threw the entire US educational system in the counterclockwise flushing toilet- F that guy.. USA! USA!

#19516 3 years ago
Quoted from pinmeds:

Yes I Understand that indoor minimally ventilated spaces are a huge problem, I've kept my Arcade closed since two days before it was mandated in March, and have not re-opened even though we had a few months where I could have, I just did not feel it was responsible, and now we're closed again anyway in any event...
But aside from how UV and temperature help or hurt the virus itself, what I was wondering specifically, once indoors, is if the lower RH is going to cause the viral load to be even higher since the indoor dry heated air will be able to hold more moisture from respired aerosols, as opposed to in a humid closed environment with a high RH, or would the humid environment be more likely to keep the viral load higher? Sorry if this doesn't make sense, your insight is greatly appreciated always.

Yes, RH matter. Unfortunately. Read article with possible explanation that added humidity means more particles for small viral particle droplets to hit, become bigger molecules and fall out of air.
Higher humidity in summer, no humidity in cold winters. That is possibly why WI is going crazy. People see the writing on the wall. Any business here with no circulation, heat on, and very low interior RH will be a viral wonderland.
All theory of course, seems like nothing matters except keeping a mask on and not eating or drinking in shared spaces.

#19518 3 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Our National Debt is a huge Problem. It is estimated, and only an estimate, that US debt has doubled in 4 years.
Its like celebrating the great new TV on the credit card, until the Bill comes in the mail.
In this light, small things, for me, to share.
Notice received yesterday, that my Homeowners insurance is cancelled. Company pulling out because of Hurricanes, and Rash of Roof and other Fraud.
Received my Health Insurance Renewal....OMG! Wait till you see the rates for next year!
I still cant believe we have a Mask vs herd debate. Or that in all this time, so little care and respect for healthcare workers,
and whatever decisions come from the top, show so little concern for them.
Its like, Herd Immunity is great. Either we ignore the sick, or accept the possibility of health care collapse.
Its going to get crazier, I believe.....I see shortages of Adult Flu Vaccine around me....2 out of 8 locations had them, and were running out....
Or How long to Vaccinate 150 Million? Well for some, the 150 Million registered voters are expected to show up in person and all vote in one day. I guess they believe this is possible, so maybe we can share it will take one day or a little more, to vaccinate the whole country, if we can all vote in one day.
We simply still dont know....What percentage of people recovered will be reinfected?
Will this change in a year? What about animals? We lost 10,000 Mink in farms recently.....Any other possible issues, with mutation? Livestock?
We dont know. Im aware of Pediatric studies that are checking Pregnancy issues, with Covid, Miscarriages, as well as any developmental issues we dont know yet.
I see a flat line in China, and a soaring line here.....Perhaps, we have been led down a path that is right, or very wrong.
But "inbetween" seems to be the biggest problem forward.
For my Pinball and Personal friends in AU. Ive been around the Block with dialogue and News on Wildfires/Climate Change,
The Virus, and Minorities (US issues vs Aboriginals). So much of the differences, are media controlled.
Controversies, create viewership, which equals $$$.
I need the days of Walter Cronkite.

Correction- national debt doubled in eight years before Trump. Debt has increased but no where near doubled.
Budget deficit has steadily (scarily) increased- we are printing money like it grew on trees- in the last few years. Turn those greenbacks into pins.

Is it time for the only thing to fear is fear itself?

#19542 3 years ago
Quoted from Lame33:

I'm sure it's just fake news by a three-time Pulitzer Prize finalist, but the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel has a very comprehensive story on the scientific and governmental response to this pandemic. We saw most of this happen, but the timeline and explanations of what was supposed to occur was enlightening.
https://www.jsonline.com/in-depth/news/2020/10/14/america-had-worlds-best-pandemic-response-plan-playbook-why-did-fail-coronavirus-covid-19-timeline/3587922001/
The headline sells it better than the link:
The U.S. was the world's best prepared nation to confront a pandemic. How did it spiral to 'almost inconceivable' failure?
Interviews with public health experts and reviews of studies by government agencies, watchdog groups and scientists reveal a cascade of blunders.

An interesting article, but if you can’t read the bias- you aren’t critically reading. Pulitzer Prize finalist doesn’t mean unbiased- simply means other biased editors and journalists agreed with you.
How could an article in a newspaper with an unabashedly liberal editorial staff be considered “true” news? If you don’t see bias, it is because you agree with the bias.

An article that does not discuss the debates that raged several times within the scientific community itself during early 2020 laid the foundation of the mistrust between government and scientists at present. Any mention of how China suppressed the scientific community? No, China was a helpless victim that tried to spread the word. Why couldn’t we get PPE? Obviously a FED mistake because all the countries producing masks were using them at an unprecedented scale.
Any idea what the ave. life expectancy of a Nigerian is? Would think that might be a useful fact in an article making a comparison to the US.
Any mention of who loudly protested the cancelling of flights to China or threat of closing borders? Kind of a big tell there.
US made plenty of mistakes, but to assign blame in a disproportionate manner only increases probability of future recurrence. Our two party system failed.

Meanwhile, Ireland goes full lockdown for another 6 weeks because of 1000 new daily cases- total pop is 5m. Is that the way? They haven’t been able to travel greater then 5 Kms for 5 or 6 of last 7 months. But they let tourists in and allowed pubs to function in certain areas. If I had to sit in place for 6 months while jokers in Dublin were going crazy, I’d be losing it.
Czech R has 11k new dailies for 10m!

WI still holding our own with 3800 for 6m..

4 weeks later
#20304 3 years ago
Quoted from smalltownguy2:

The vaccines that are nearing completion from Pfizer and Moderna are administered in two doses - the first dose causes your body to being producing antibodies - the 2nd dose is administered weeks later and has the effect of alerting your body that it may still be under attack, so it produces more antibodies, and for a much longer period of time.
The effect here is that enough people will have natural immunity or have been inoculated. Once the virus cannot spread to any more hosts, it begins to fade away.
It will never go away though. There will always be a presence somewhere on the planet. We're just trying to speed along herd immunity with a vaccine, that's all.

It seems people are confused about antibodies disappearing from the blood and immunity. That is the normal process the body uses for occasional pathogens. If antibodies are produced at a high enough level, enough memory B and T cells have been created- those are what is required for long term immunity. But, when antibodies are not actively circulating- people might be able to spread the virus. They will respond quickly and not get sick- immune- but might be able to spread. Boosters will probably be to keep everybody circulating because we can’t all vaccinate at once.

Italy found several blood samples with coronavirus from October!! Probably will be corrected, but seems right since we had several crazy pneumonia cases around here late last year.

3 weeks later
#20776 3 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

This vaccine won't give you HIV!
it uses parts of protein originating from HIV, and may make you positive for the HIV test, as this triggers an antibody response that can interfere with HIV screening, which are based on the detection of said protein.
That's... rather unfortunate (and someone should be fired for not anticipating this) but not dangerous: ""There is no possibility the vaccine causes [HIV] infection, and routine follow up tests confirmed there is no HIV virus present"

This is interesting. If you do get the vaccine, and expose yourself to HIV in the next few days- they might never correctly diagnose being HIV positive? And with HIV having a reverse transcriptase- BAM! Pfizer vaccine added to your DNA.. get the tinfoil hats out

#20780 3 years ago
Quoted from Trogdor:

This is interesting. If you do get the vaccine, and expose yourself to HIV in the next few days- they might never correctly diagnose being HIV positive? And with HIV having a reverse transcriptase- BAM! Pfizer vaccine added to your DNA.. get the tinfoil hats out

Oh, you guys are talking about the shelved Australian effort? Never mind. Still, HIV could put RNAs back in your DNA, but having HIV probably worse.

That Florida basketball player that collapsed on court was previously covid pos? That’s a little scary..

3 weeks later
#21119 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

It's going to get way worse. I am sitting in the middle of the epicenter of this pandemic as we speak, with ambulances lined up sitting outside hospitals waiting for hours to unload patients. It's terrible. If it comes off like arrogant, I am just happy that I am making it through all this and trying to keep a positive attitude making it thru an entire year being productive instead of sitting home crying like I could do any year with all the other disasters that claim lives and bring hardship on people.
I've had some terrible years laid up where I couldn't do anything and lost everything I had worked for while you were probably out making money and having a ball. Where was the empathy then? I didn't need it or want it. But you just keep on judging me and downvoting every post I make and all will be normal. Same as it ever was.

Thanks for fighting the good fight, Odin! I hear ya! Life gives you lemons... Some people will do the right thing, some will do what’s right for them, and some are just plain stupid and open up college campuses! I have empathy for the people genetically superior to me that will never get sick, eat butter everyday, drink 1L of whiskey everyday, and still live to 100! They will have to work until 95 to be able to retire with how much is being spent on this fiasco. Worse yet, they will think they can’t afford a kid while in their 20s or maybe never have kids which weakens entire race. Our race is destined to become large blobs with small brains and dexterous fingers.. Wall-E has us pegged.
Realistically, in our system, somebody has to be the bad guy. Actuaries will tell you, all people are actually not valued equally. My future contribution to the US economy is considerably lower then a 22 year old- how much should they spend, suffer to keep me around? Multiply that by 20m and maybe people will start understanding what GDP and national debt actually mean. We eventually reopen in 2022- even that is iffy- people will party for weeks. Then the money will run out and the taxes will rise. As New York found out, the rich have the means to leave. The 2020s are looking scarily like the 1920s.

#21127 3 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

This is false, it's a 6 week lockdown. My sister and her family live outside of London, the virus outbreak there is bad now, everyone is happily staying at home so they don't get sick anyway. The UK survived being bombed by the Nazis for 57 days, I think they can handle a little lockdown until the infection rate drops and more vaccines are distributed.

Now, if those bombs only killed 2%- how long would they have put up with even rationing? I made this point hundreds of pages ago.
UK and EU did harsh lockdowns and kept telling their citizens “it’s only another 6 weeks.” - for nine months! Not so little a lockdown.
I’ll probably be completely wrong, but I think we will see a sizable decrease when 30% of population even has one dose of vaccine. Wouldn’t it be more efficient to dose more then do a second dose for any?

Anyway, it’s all fun and games with conspiracists, until they get positions of power.. https://www.wisn.com/article/wife-of-accused-vaccine-saboteur-corroborates-conspiracy-theorist-claims-in-divorce-records/35123980
Yeah Wisconsin!! We are either winning Super Bowls or destroying one's hope in mankind. Scary thing is this guy is very educated. Are the powers that be correct or this guy? People say lockdowns are harmless, I’d say this guy locked down for far too long. The divorce probably isn’t helping either.

2 weeks later
#21426 3 years ago

You’re clearly not understanding or simply refusing to accept reality. Go back and read my multiple explanations of this process. I’m done trying to explain it to you.

This is kind of hilarious. You’ve got plenty going on doc, but the guy did read and applied what you wrote. Basically, he’s treating covid like your explanation for cancer. If they have covid and died, lung failure or whatever would be their cause of death.

Whatever- overall mortality is up!- everyone agrees. People developing unhealthy habits and tearing of societal fabric is also approaching a tipping point. Do we really need another false narrative like “100 days” right now? That is part of some “great plan”? How bout “300 or more days”? Isn’t that more realistic and hey wear two masks because we were wrong about one? All these masks are biodegradable and can’t possibly contribute to global warming right? Right?? And if someone can be pressured into not saying their educated opinion in a leadership role of a health institution, no matter what pressure is applied (Fauci- looking at you), they have lost all respectability to remain in said position. And yeah- Minnesota people, great time to travel to Brazil right?
Have another great year in quarantine everybody!

#21454 3 years ago

The immediate cause of death in that case would be something like progressive hypoxic respiratory failure. Underneath that you would list the specific causes that led to the immediate cause. COVID would be listed in those diagnoses. Underneath the section where the diagnoses leading directly to death are listed is a separate section for diagnoses that contributed to death but didn't immediately cause it. In the case of COVID you would list things like diabetes, obesity, hypertension, etc. here. These are diagnoses that may have made the person more likely to die from COVID but didn't directly lead to death.
I guess the problem is that laypeople get way too caught up on the "immediate cause of death". In the majority of cases there isn't one single problem that leads to someone's death, it's usually a group of problems that work together, the obvious exception being something like trauma or a gunshot wound. That's why it was so hilarious to see the COVID deniers get all worked up when they saw the CDC data on COVID deaths. They thought they'd found some grand conspiracy when COVID wasn't listed as the only diagnosis leading to death. It's not a conspiracy, it's how things are. Death certificates are filled out to try and show what sequence of events led to someone's death. Just because COVID isn't listed as the immediate cause of death doesn't mean the person didn't die from COVID. That's just misunderstanding how death certificates are filled out. Death certificates are also much more complicated and detailed with the computer entry systems. People think of the old single page death certificate where a doctor just wrote "pneumonia" as the cause of death and signed it. It doesn't work that way anymore.
Think of it this way, let's say you get shot in the stomach. You bleed out and die. Ok, the immediate cause of death would be listed as something like refractory hypovolemic shock. Basically you bled out and your blood pressure dropped and you died. That was the immediate reason you ceased to live. The gunshot contributed to that immediate cause and would be listed underneath it. That's why "gunshot wound" may not be the IMMEDIATE cause of death in those cases, it is listed underneath whatever the event was that immediately caused the patient to die. That doesn't mean that your family isn't going to say you died from a gunshot wound or that you didn't die from the gunshot. It's just a more detailed way of describing what led to someone's death. Now then, let's say you get shot in the stomach but you get to the hospital before you bleed out and have emergency surgery. Unfortunately you later develop a severe infection from the gunshot and die from that. Ok, in that case your immediate cause of death would be "septic shock" and gunshot wound would still be listed in the diagnoses underneath it. See, if you just said everyone died of a gunshot wound and left it at that you wouldn't be able to tell how many people bled out vs how many people died of infection later. It's more specific to list the sequence of events that led to the death and that's why death certificates are filled out the way they are now vs the old way.
Some of this also depends on the doctor filling out the certificate. Some doctors are more detailed than others. Afterwards when the public health department publishes how many people died from gunshot wounds they will do a search through all the death certificates and pick out the ones that have gunshot wound listed in the diagnoses leading to death. They clump these things together in the statistic so they make more sense to the public at large. Otherwise you'd have a ton of different specific "immediate" causes listed and you wouldn't be able to tell as much about how many people died from gunshots. Same thing with COVID.
As to the rest of your post, I would say the 100 days of masking may have been chosen as a timeframe that would give vaccinations time to make a difference. Of course that depends on people actually getting the vaccine, if enough people don't get it then there won't be as much of an improvement in the case numbers after 100 days. Plus everyone likes to talk about a President's first 100 days in office for some reason so the number might have been chosen for that reason as well.
I'm actually optimistic that if say 50-60% of the population is vaccinated by this summer we might see something close to a "normal" fall 2021.

Holy cow doc! How much do I owe you?
So, if faulty valve heart patient gets covid and ten days later dies from stroke, was it the dodgy heart or covid? Would all public health officials rule the same? Seems a grey area- like where malpractice lawyers thrive.

Yeah! let’s be optimistic. No point in going inside restaurants in the summer anyway. But I’m hearing 80%- about 540m Pfizer doses? In 7 months~ 210 days with no breaks? Ahh, not going to compute- I’m staying optimistic!

Did you see that high blood pressure 60-yo guy go full kidney failure and die after his second vaccination? That guy was so happy to get vaccinated. Probably had impaired kidneys causing the hbp but still, what would have triggered that?

2 months later
#22446 3 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

Nah, they still could infect and kill someone. There are people that can't get the vaccine because of health reasons, there are other immunocompromised folks like my girlfriend with cystic fibrosis, who is now vaccinated, but still could get it from some yahoo and die. People need to think about other people than themselves. They should get vaccinated for the good of their community and our country, they should take it seriously, Israel is the perfect example of where people are willing to do the work and compromise for the good of their people and country. Americans are too selfish to do this I fear, they will wave a flag and talk about freedom, but they aren't willing to actually fight for it.

While I empathize with your situation, I fear the group think has disabled your ability to empathize. Are you really thinking about the benefit of others or your girlfriend which is basically you? Being high risk and with a science background, I couldn’t recommend to my adult children to run out and get vaccinated. There is an FDA approval process in the US that has been refined over decades- we circumvented it. I got vaccinated, but from the data available- it is a risk. If they research the vaccines and get vaccinated- great, I hope. If they would rather wait and hang outside when they visit- I understand. Will I be dining indoors or hanging in bars before 2022? No.
Isn’t shunning masks or getting vaccinated fighting for freedom? It just isn’t our definition of freedom. “You must wear a mask in public, you cannot go to church, you cannot associate with friends, if you get sick- we need info on all those you came in contact with and where”- is that freedom? It sounds more like 1984. It is a frightful corrosion of what it meant to be American, and I won’t fault those that take objection to it.
I’ve met quite a few Americans and a lot of families whose loved ones died fighting for someone else’s freedom, they didn’t seem very selfish.

3 weeks later
#22900 2 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

It's amateur hour over here in the States. we are too selfish here, it's all about my rights and my freedom, we won't do the hard work or take on the responsibility for fighting and defeating this virus together.

Amateur hour in these States? There you go again... Are we giving vaccines away? Are we welcoming other citizens to our country to get free shots? Who paid for all this? Americans.
Not taking an experimental vaccine doesn’t make anybody selfish. It is their choice in the America their tax dollars support. Do we need international flights, tourism, or open borders? Even if an impossible 90% were vaccinated, the wrong variant would still spread like fire and destroy everything- so you suggest lockdown until no cases worldwide? Good thing we didn’t do that with polio.

That your post received no downvotes is worrisome. What is the point of this thread, bash Americans or actually discuss relevant issues of coronavirus? The CDC recommended bleaching everything and wearing masks outside. And they were wrong. Did any of you listen to people who questioned these protocols last year or just mass downvote?

2 weeks later
#23060 2 years ago
Quoted from toddsolus:

https://www.wired.com/story/the-teeny-tiny-scientific-screwup-that-helped-covid-kill/
interesting article about scienceing and the need to re examine the differences of droplets vs. aerosols......
why some scientist got it wrong and what it took to correct the mistake.

Thanks for sharing. Fascinating how “science” can turn out to be someone’s brief skimming of another individuals unfinished experiment- decades ago. Well, don’t put your face masks away if want to avoid colds and flu when windows are closed- for the rest of your life. 3ft, 6ft, 12ft- it doesn’t matter in some closed environments. Probably better long term to put masks away and suffer for a better future immune system.
It was odd how the WHO kept insisting on bleaching everything and denying it was airborne.

2 weeks later
#23224 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinballs:

UK daily cases today was 11,007 (they should split number by age <> 60 as that's the mortality divide). Exponential increase ongoing. On the plus side, vulnerable folks are vaccinated so deaths should remain low, but scary to see how the delta variant is spreading even in a well-vaccinated population. The UK doesn't close its borders, here is the result. By contrast e.g. Germany bans UK visitors, and of course we all know ANZ policies. Spot on and good for them. Other relatively 'welcoming' countries (US?) may see a third wave soon too IMO. Get ready!
I've locked myself and family down again until the cases decline. Work colleagues had a BBQ this evening, and as it was raining switched to indoor. Needless to say, I didn't attend, and will wait 2 weeks to see if they caught Covid. I've wiped 2021, just as I wiped 2020. Hopefully 2022 will be ok, though with our politicians who knows. When the next deadly variant emerges, will they close the borders and lockdown, or let it play out as now? IMO corporate-dominated politicians are ethically moribund. We are on our own, people.
[quoted image]

wow… good luck with this. Any talk of calling off the Euros? Some big games coming to London. Hard to believe the Spanish team was only vaccinated last Friday when one tested positive. These guys are paid millions by top clubs, yet couldn’t get vaccinated weeks before big soccer tournament of the summer? Venezuela in the Copa- sure, most of their players have covid. But Spain?
Thousands of fans traveling around Europe with limited vaccinations and variants on the rise- what could go wrong?

2 weeks later
#23405 2 years ago
Quoted from dinot:

2) Unvaccinated people are the breeding grounds for variants. The Epislon/Zeta (etc...) variants will come from an unvaccinated person. While Pfizer/Moderna/Novavax are quite efficacious against Delta, how well will they work with the a new variant?
3) I have an unvaccinated 10 year old.
The unvaccinated are prolonging this. They are affecting society as a whole. If it only affected them, I couldn't give 2 shits about what they do.

Except for point 3, is there a study that proves your points? Not what I remember of how variants work but I’m sure those upvoting your post understand it much more completely.

There is no 100% effective vaccine. That means the virus can enter cells of a certain amount of VACCINATED individuals and replicate. Any error in replication can theoretically produce a variant. Therefore, technically, any individual can produce a variant. We have yet to determine if infected, vaccinated people actually produce enough to infect another individual, but if it is a strong variant- they will. I don’t know if I would rather encounter a variant from an unvaccinated or vaccinated individual- the vaccinated will probably produce a much more nefarious virus. Would more vaccinated people probably result in less variants? Yes- probably.

Several medical professionals(recent op Ed by UCLA assoc professors) are advising caution in vaccinating groups that are not at risk due to incidence of myocarditis, blood clots, and other reactions. Covid vaccines did not go through regular approval process. Members of these groups which do get covid, will likely recover and have likely greater immunity then vaccinated individuals. Several will not recover and their families will have to live with those choices.
There are “selfish” individuals not vaccinating, there are also highly educated people not vaccinating who simply can’t overlook the risks vs risks- there is no reward necessarily.

I am Pfizer vaccinated and have allergies for first time in my life. Did I get old or vaccinated?

2 weeks later
#23680 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinballs:

But Zeng Yixin, deputy health minister, said this showed "disrespect for common sense and arrogance toward science"."

Well, I’d have to agree with Zeng. Common sense dictates that the Chinese have already destroyed or confiscated all relevant info from these labs. By purging their wet markets and wild animal vendors facilities- they have also destroyed any links to it originating from the wild. I’ll give China the benefit of the doubt here, it probably was a natural specimen mishandled in their lab..
The WHO had their chance when this started. Any scientist that didn’t say this originated from the wild was demonized and belittled. That wasn’t science. It didn’t matter, China wasn’t allowing a foreign investigation. They already knew.

#23838 2 years ago

Really all you care about is how many are vaccinated in your local area of say 500 miles. If you have a high enough immunity rate then the disease will not be able to transmit effectively in the population and it will die out.

Good in theory- just not practical. Unless a government run forced vaccination and martial law lockdown until two weeks after second dose, variants will rise.
Travel made this happen. It wasn’t rocket science. US citizen or not- don’t allow in the country. Don’t allow out of country, or own state. We bribed people to get vaccinated so they could return to life- now apparent they have been spreading delta. 1000x viral particles in delta then alpha for vaccinated people??!! That can’t be correct but that’s from Fauci. And if it is replicating in vaccinated people, it can cause a mutant. Lockdown 2- here we come!

#23843 2 years ago

Well, the reality is our government is not going to lock down travel. The best way forward is for as many people to get vaccinated as possible. It's not 100% and yes some transmission still occurs but it is VASTLY superior to the option of letting COVID run wild in the population.
It's like seatbelts. They don't prevent 100% of deaths in auto accidents but they sure do help alot.

Hey! I got a thumbs down from Habo! Haha! Mission accomplished! I can explain, I can’t make people understand.

It’s too late at this point. Six weeks for those to get vaccinated now? College starts in 3? NFL? The mask is the only proven seatbelt. The vaccine helps you not die. If you take your mask off in an enclosed space, you might get covid or spread it or mutate it- vaccinated or not. The social distancing was debunked by people that checked the misquoted study. Nobody is safe indoors. Doesn’t matter people’s politics at this point, at least 30% of pop is unvaccinated, what does the govt. do? Surprisingly the CDC actually put Biden straight- don’t bribe people to get vaccinated so you can take off the mask- you can’t.
If people are fine doubling cases again like UK, then we blame everybody.

#24009 2 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

Me!?!? You picked the post to equivocate and shoe horn your neat little article into. Yes, I expect you to be able to address the very subject of the post YOU chose to pick out of the litter and respond to with a link to an article. You made variants your issue when you picked a post about variants to try to respond. Not my fault your reading comprehension skills are where they are, pal.

Are you familiar with variants? Here’s a horror show https://www.yahoo.com/news/virus-used-world-longest-covid-154818412.html

One could argue, any positive individual being transported with others in buses could generate variants. If releasing positive “illegals” and not even separating them is true, not good. One could also argue- these are the detained “illegals”. Who did the detained positives travel with the last days before testing? Who knows how many people are sneaking in, what they have, or where they are from.. Biden admin just addressed this issue.

A bigger problem is US citizens can go basically anywhere, but need a test within 72 hours of re-entry( last I looked at info). Any individual , even vaccinated, not quarantining for the 72 hours until departure invalidates the test and can spread variants. They also have to keep the mask on for entire time from entering departure terminal to exit arrival terminal or what is the point?
We trust people to sit in a hotel for 3 days on vacation? It does not compute- unless we have decided to live with covid. Then why bother to test? Are cruises still running?

2 weeks later
#24753 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Who made a percentage comparison between population of 1918 and the population today? On a percentage basis, sure the Spanish Flu was much worse. But in a absolute basis, 637,000 people dying of one disease in the U.S. is not chump change.
Here is something else, on an absolute basis:
**The number of dead during the 1918 pandemic is estimated to be as high as 100 million people the world around. So far, in the 21st Century, the number of worldwide cases is 208,656,464. And, so far, the number of deaths the world around is only 4,382,979.
---------------------------------------------------------------
OK. Now we can go back to percentages:
1918 U.S. deaths of 675,000 vs. 100 million deaths worldwide = .00675 %.
However, in today's market, the US currently has 637,000 deaths compared to 4,382,979 deaths around the world. The US represents 14.5 % of worldwide Covid 19 deaths.
So, as a percentage of world wide deaths today, especially when compared to 1918, the US has really knocked it out of the park with its 14.5% number.
That percentage puzzles me. How did we get to 14%? Are we just a bunch of overweight fat fucks who sit around watching too much TV? Were we basically a bunch of sitting ducks all lined up just waiting for Covid.
========================================
India, with 432112 dead comes in at .098 % of world wide deaths.
Brazil 569,581 dead. .129%
Mexico is about 5% of worldwide deaths.

India and Brazil have wrong decimals.

Odds are, numbers are incorrect. With China and India having populations over entire world of 1918, only 5k and 432k deaths respectively?

#24781 2 years ago

Seriously, if you had to have your appendix removed would you go to a doctor or read a blog post about it and give it a go yourself?

Haha! Unfortunate example..
https://www.webmd.com/digestive-disorders/news/20180925/antibiotics-may-cure-appendicitis-without-surgery

Not saying anybody is right about corona, but a lot of people related to appendectomies made a lot of money over the years.
Want to suffer for days taking antibiotics and maybe die? No thanks.
Want to get cut open, maybe die from the anesthetic, and have a hard time moving for days? Ah.. umm.. what was the other option?
I guess you still have to go to the doctor for the prescription- but who knows maybe large doses of garlic and onion would suffice like Galen of old? Who’ll fund the study? Doesn’t matter, no patient will sign up because all surgeons of the world will pay Facebook to outcast all anti-appendectomists.

Money is powerful, and politics are more powerful. Religion had its day. All we used to have was science. It seems to be the new religion- “we believe in science”. That’s not science. Science always questions. Science gets very little even 99% correct. Something has been universally accepted for decades, some smart ass with a computer approaches it differently and proves it wrong, we learn more.

#24900 2 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

I was really hoping that when boosters rolled around they would be specific to include Delta protection. This sounds like they are just increasing my antibodies. Obviously I will roll up my sleeve for it, but boo.

JNJ is reportedly having good results with Delta. Or not many people got JNJ in high Delta areas… It apparently has clarified earlier studies and may have similar coverage to Pfizer and Moderna overall.

3 months later
#27689 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

My cousin went to Med school. He shared lots of insight into his chosen field. And he told me that not all doctors are "A" students. Some of those doctors just squeaked by.

And how many of these squeaking by doctors showed up at the CDC?
But everybody keep worrying about the guy that gave Trekkie 100% chance of survival.

2 weeks later
#28178 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Fine you guys have browbeaten me and shamed me into it…got my booster today.
Pointless? Maybe. Who cares. It took 5 minutes and was free.
Worth sacrificing my freedom to get my mom and babe off my back!!
I am planning to go to MagFest (if it’s not
Canceled) in a couple weeks and that place is always crawling with disease so figured it wouldn’t hurt.

But not sacrificing your freedom to attend an indoor, nonessential, superspreader event?

1 week later
#28448 2 years ago

Repeating the same thing doesn’t make it true.
Let’s look at real world data shall we? Where did the variants come from?
Alpha Variant - UK prior to vaccines being available.
Beta Variant - Ghana, prior to vaccines being available.
Delta Variant - India, prior to vaccines being available.
Gamma variant - probably Brazil, prior to vaccines being available.
Lambda variant - Peru, prior to vaccines being available.
Mu variant - Colombia, January 2021, very few patients vaccinated at the time of emergence (the graph I looked at was zero but there may have been some healthcare workers or high level government officials vaccinated at the time).
Omicron variant - South Africa, November 2021. Only 23% of their population was fully vaccinated at the time of emergence.
So, what pattern do we see? I would say I see a pattern of high population density countries with a high poverty rate and low vaccination rates or vaccines were not available at the time the variant emerged.
If the vaccines are causing the mutations why are the variants not coming from the most highly vaccinated countries? We should be seeing an explosion of variants in the highly vaccinated countries like the US, Great Britain, France, Germany, etc. We aren’t. I’ll wait for your answer.

So you are saying the amount of mutations from Delta to Omicron is in no way related to vaccines that are less then 90% effective? While admitting the world isn’t sure where Omicron actually originated? Huh.. I haven’t heard many scientific organizations making this call. It is scientific fact that viral particles replicate in vaccinated individuals- mutations can happen.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Trogdor.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread?tu=Trogdor and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.