272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 Important warning Posted by Daditude (4 years ago)

Post #6 Coronavirus website with up-to-the-moment stats Posted by Daditude (4 years ago)

Post #172 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #193 Name of disease and of the virus Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #209 Explains why you need social distancing Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #239 Comment on seasonality Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #251 Avoid ibuprofen Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #370 Info on chloroquine Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #530 News from Italy Posted by Pedretti_Gaming (4 years ago)

Post #693 Important info and advice Posted by ForceFlow (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Spyderturbo007.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#625 4 years ago

This might have been posted already, but it looks like scientists in Germany have successfully mapped the virus’s protease.

Apparently now that it’s been mapped, they are working towards finding an inhibitor to prevent binding.

Good thing there are some really smart people on this planet with the resources to do something like this so quickly.

https://www.drugtargetreview.com/news/57834/preliminary-sars-cov-2-protease-inhibitor-shows-efficacy-in-mice/

#802 4 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Yup. They’re called scientists. They use this thing called the scientific method to conduct experiments, eliminate certain possibilities while elevating the likelihood of others.

Thanks. I'm glad you explained that to me.

It's not like I'm a Metallurgy Chemist or anything.....Oh, wait, I am.

#1288 4 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Harbor freight donating their PPE stock to hospitals

That's pretty awesome, but what is really annoying me is these damn hospital administrators. I'm not referring to the front line staff putting themselves at risk, so don't take this the wrong way.

With outrageous healthcare costs and huge profits, they don't have a stash of PPE in a room in the basement? Seriously? It was only a few days into this mess and I started hearing about PPE shortages!!! Every CEO that let this happen, for the benefit of higher profits, should be fired. Idiots.

I work in a lab and you can be damn sure we have plenty of PPE for our staff. It only takes one factory to catch on fire, or some other hiccup in the supply chain and you're on back order for who knows how long.

3 months later
#16403 3 years ago

This is encouraging since all we've seen recently is total number of cases, which is a pretty worthless number. What I feel is more relevant is the percentage of those tests that are positive.

I threw this together quick from https://covidtracking.com/ since they had a downloadable .csv.

This is data for the United States with the first 10 days excluded. The data the first 10 days was erratic and only a few tests were performed.

Percentage of Positive Tests (resized).JPGPercentage of Positive Tests (resized).JPG

#16406 3 years ago

Just to follow up, there is a really good article surrounding the evolution in testing in the most recent issue of The Analytical Scientist I had sitting on my desk. I found it online. Provided people are sick of listening to a pile of people pushing their own agenda with no scientific background.

Go to page 32.

https://theanalyticalscientist.com/fileadmin/tas/issues/TAS_0620_Issue.pdf#page=31&zoom=auto,-274,2

#16411 3 years ago
Quoted from smalltownguy2:

I think that chart has sample bias too. Don't forget we had a pretty nasty shortage of testing supplies early on, leading to only serious illness cases getting tested. That's changed as of late.

That's why I omitted the first 10 days in an attempt to mitigate systemic distortion.

7 months later
#21744 3 years ago

So for those of you that support forced vaccination, where does it stop? What's the cutoff for forcing someone to be vaccinated? Should we force vaccinations for the Flu? What about HPV, HepA-HepB, Encephalitis, Typhoid fever, etc....where does it stop?

#21754 3 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

I must have missed something. Who is supporting forced vaccination?
To be clear, there is a big difference between forced vaccination and requiring proof of vaccination for things like concerts, sporting events, airline travel, etc. You can choose to not be vaccinated and not go to those events or use those modes of travel.

Ok, so we won't call it forced but we'll just prevent you from interacting with other people and limit your movements if you don't get vaccinated.

Anyway, do we then tell people they can't fly if they don't vaccinated for the Flu, Encephalitis, Typhoid Fever, etc.

#21779 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Have you ever been in the military? I would like to know what choice I had; When I was enlisted I had the choice of following orders or suffering any consequences the C.O. might have decided.
Enlighten me, please.

I’m assuming you got drafted? Because if you didn’t, you definitely had the chose of enlisting or not enlisting.

5 months later
#24134 2 years ago

Just a question for everyone in this thread calling people that didn't yet get vaccinated idiots, stupid, morons, ignoramus, etc.

How many of you spent the few hours it took to read the clinical trial documentation before you rolled up your sleeve? Or did you make your decision based on what the media said and what you read on the Internet?

#24337 2 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Vaccinations, distancing, masking....
The idea is to reduce the likelihood of transmission and reduce the number of places the virus can set up shop to replicate.
Once the virus can't spread or replicate anywhere, it should eventually die out for the most part.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eradication_of_infectious_diseases

You lost me at the use of Wikipedia as a reference.

"Should....eventually....for the most part." Sounds decisive enough to me.

#24674 2 years ago
Quoted from KerryImming:

This, of course, is NOT true since being vaccinated lowers the risk of becoming infected in the first place. Delta variant lowers the efficacy but it's still working AND keeping the majority of vaccinated people out of the hospital.

So, you are OK with a new, untested use for an anti-parasitic (Ivermectin), but not OK with a vaccine whose mRNA framework has been around since SARS in 2003. Check.

Interestingly enough, the CDC study says exactly the opposite. Of the 5 people hospitalized, 4 of them were fully vaccinated. 74% of the people that tested positive were fully vaccinated.

Granted a 469 person sample size is pretty much worthless, but then again, so is a 40,000 person sample size used to push the vaccine through with emergency approval. Anyway, back to our regularly scheduled show where people that aren't vaccinated are stupid and uneducated.

During July 2021, 469 cases of COVID-19 associated with multiple summer events and large public gatherings in a town in Barnstable County, Massachusetts, were identified among Massachusetts residents; vaccination coverage among eligible Massachusetts residents was 69%. Approximately three quarters (346; 74%) of cases occurred in fully vaccinated persons (those who had completed a 2-dose course of mRNA vaccine [Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna] or had received a single dose of Janssen [Johnson & Johnson] vaccine ≥14 days before exposure). Genomic sequencing of specimens from 133 patients identified the B.1.617.2 (Delta) variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, in 119 (89%) and the Delta AY.3 sublineage in one (1%). Overall, 274 (79%) vaccinated patients with breakthrough infection were symptomatic. Among five COVID-19 patients who were hospitalized, four were fully vaccinated; no deaths were reported.

#24981 2 years ago

It’s pretty straightforward if you read past the headlines.

Liquid O2 is used to treat waster water. The more water you use the more needs to be treated. The more you treat the more liquid O2 you need. The more liquid O2 you use the less there is for hospital use.

So if you use less water there will be more O2 available for hospitals.

#25139 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

"The needs of the many, outweigh the needs of the few" - Captain James T Kirk

Close. That was Spock. Kirk said "Or the one".

1 week later
#25503 2 years ago

I got my information from the official state of Hawaii website. Here’s the link: https://hawaiicovid19.com/mask-guidance/
If you read that link on when to mask while in Hawaii, it says you SHOULD wear a mask while indoors. SHOULD does not mean MUST. I took that to mean that there was also not an indoor mask mandate in Hawaii as there is no outdoor mask mandate in Hawaii. If that’s not correct then I guess you can call the state of Hawaii and complain to them about their wording on their website. If there was a MANDATE in Hawaii to mask while indoors, I would think their masking guidelines website would say you MUST wear a mask indoors.

According to the 19th Proclamation issued by the Governor of Hawaii, it's a mandate indoors. The verbiage in the mandate uses the word "Shall". It's an updated version as it shows that the outdoor requirement was struck.

https://governor.hawaii.gov/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/2105107-ATG_Amendment-to-Nineteenth-Proclamation-for-COVID-19-distribution-signed.pdf

1 week later
#25757 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

So again, anybody can type anything they want on Facebook: it’s literally worth a pile of bullshit.

Kind of like any other online community....shall we say perhaps a pinball forum? Don't listen to the Facebook people, listen to the Pinside people.

Probably best to not listen to either when it comes to your health and welfare.

1 week later
#25982 2 years ago

I have a legitimate question and since there appears to be a pile of Physicians, Epidemiologists, Biochemists and other experts in this thread, I thought it would be a great place to pose the question.

The FDA says that an antibody test isn't a valid way to determine protection against COVID. If that's the case, then how are we gauging the effectiveness of the vaccine other than handing it out and then watching to see what happens?

It just looks like a "Hey, take this and let me know what happens" kind of thing.

https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/safety-communications/antibody-testing-not-currently-recommended-assess-immunity-after-covid-19-vaccination-fda-safety

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is reminding the public and health care providers that results from currently authorized SARS-CoV-2 antibody tests should not be used to evaluate a person’s level of immunity or protection from COVID-19 at any time, and especially after the person received a COVID-19 vaccination.

#25996 2 years ago

The initial studies on the vaccines had outcomes data. They followed vaccinated people for a certain amount of time and found that they were 90-95% less likely to develop severe COVID vs the people who got a placebo shot.
Not only that we have newer studies that show around 85% reduction in hospitalization and 91% reduction in ICU admission for vaccinated vs unvaccinated when they have COVID.
Lastly, there was an article a couple days ago comparing the 10 most vaccinated states vs the 10 least vaccinated states over a recent week. As I recall it showed around 3-4 times more people died from COVID in the least vaccinated states during that week. It’s a small sample size but it’s more of a real time snapshot vs delta variant.
There’s a ton a data that shows vaccines work.

So it's pretty much exactly as I said...."Here, take this and we'll see what happens".

I just find it odd that the goal of the vaccine is essentially teach the body how to create antibodies, but testing for the presence of antibodies is, and I quote "should not be used to evaluate a person’s level of immunity or protection from COVID-19 at any time, and especially after the person received a COVID-19 vaccination".

1 month later
#26598 2 years ago
Quoted from viper001:

What really caught my attention was when I mentioned I was getting my third shot this weekend, and my wife already had her 3rd jab she mentioned that the only one in their circle of family that got shots has had constant headaches ever since. As compared to 3 people hospitalized with Covid, two of which died, one of which is still recovering from a second bout of the disease 4 months ago, she was apparently focusing on this side effect from the vaccine (assuming that is even the cause of the headaches). Then she says "you have your convictions, I have mine". Yep, can't argue with that.

I'm sorry to hear about your wife losing two of her family members.

4 weeks later
#27439 2 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

This does not say what you want it to say.

You might want to explain what it says then so he/she knows? It might clear some things up.

#27440 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Take a fucking screenshot and show us. I am not interested in trying to find one sentence in 33 pages of info (stuff) and I am not trained to read.

Wow, everyone is so hostile. With that said, here's your fucking screenshot.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

I got sick of cutting and pasting at that point.

#27462 2 years ago
Quoted from PinballNewb:

Did you also get sick of glossing over the stated conclusion at the end of each of those sections?

Nope. Not at all. I'm just not a fan of any organization that has a vested interest in something saying "We've audited ourselves and found ourselves to be in compliance".

#27473 2 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

Speaking of hostile... relax Francis.

Did you read the post I was responding to at all before you started name calling? The person I was quoting used the same language, so I was being sarcastic in an attempt to point out their unfounded hostility.

Quoted from RTR:

I read to my grandkids, he is on his own.
However, Oaken is nicer than me and explained you are looking at raw VAERS data.

You and Oaken might want to take a better look at things next time. There is VAERS data included, but if you read it again, you'll see that there is much more than just VAERS data included. And even the VAERS data appears to have been filtered.

"The company’s AESI list takes into consideration the lists of AESIs from the following expert groups and regulatory authorities: Brighton Collaboration (SPEAC), ACCESS protocol, US CDC (preliminary list of AESI for VAERS surveillance), MHRA (unpublished guideline)"

Additionally, you'll see this at the beginning of each of the sections;

"Number of cases: 1403 (3.3% of the total PM dataset), of which 241 are medically confirmed and 1162 are non-medically
confirmed;"

You can clearly see that some of the cases are listed as medically confirmed. Medical confirmation involves a laundry list of items required to be submitted by an attending physician which has then been confirmed a 2nd time by a consulting physician. What isn't 100% clear is the use of the term "non-medically confirmed", which appears in very few places when searching for AESI data. Where I did find the term, no definition of non-medically confirmed was provided.

Medically Confirmed - medical opinion of an attending physician has been confirmed by a consulting physician who has examined the patient and the patient's relevant medical records.[PL 2019, c. 271, §4 (NEW).]

The term "Not-medically confirmed" is defined in almost all pharmacovigilance documentation and applies to any case that doesn't meet the laundry list of requirements outlined in some of the GVP (Good Pharmacovigilance practices) guidelines.

They would have obviously nullified data that was deemed NOT-medically confirmed according to the GVP guidelines, therefor you can assume that the use of NON indicates that there was some type of confirmation, but perhaps not to the level of the GVP guidelines.

Anyway you slice it, this isn't just compiled data that anyone can submit to some online portal. However, based on your replies to other people I'm sure you'll just have some smart ass response when presented with a valid argument.

#27483 2 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

Medically Confirmed does not mean Vaccine Related/Caused in that paper. It means the diagnoses reported were confirmed medically vs reported in some other manner, like a self report coming through VAERS. .

That's what I just said. Did you not read it before you decided to reply? At no point in time did I say that medically confirmed assigned a correlation between death and the vaccine. I went so far as to include the definition of medically confirmed. So thanks for regurgitating exactly what I just posted.

#27485 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I have always liked being considered an expert. Not only in my field but in any field that I might be able to bullshit myself into.
I just signed up as Dr. James Smith. I don't see my name listed yet. And maybe they will figure out the email address is just as valid as my doctor credentials and kick me off the site.
But for now, at least, they thanked me for signing up.
Now, maybe all of these other Dr. Pinsiders will wish to join me and sign up.
For the price of 45 seconds of my time I am now a doctor
Now, maybe I can consider myself an expert, too.

I may decide to go back and sigh up again. This time I will be a journalist and start writing my own fake news

Congratulations, you just signed up as part of a group that is advocating all documentation should be made available to the public. Do you think you just signed up to be part of a panel of doctors that is responsible for analyzing the data and drawing professional conclusions?

You signed a petition saying that you want everyone to have access to all the documentation. Is this some great triumph?

"The organization takes no position on the data other than that it should be made publicly available to allow independent experts to conduct their own review and analyses. Any data received will be made public on this website."

3 weeks later
#28251 2 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I went to a Walgreen’s a few days ago to get some meds for my wife, who’s still sick but recovering (COVID test came back negative, which was a relief). Anyway, I had a cold so I was wearing a mask. I sneezed several times in my mask, and it was wet and disgusting, but I kept it on until I left. Meanwhile, a woman 4 feet from me REMOVED HER MASK TO SNEEZE, wiped her nose and then put the mask back on, like it was the most natural thing in the world. Ugh!!

This is Internet gold right here.

You’re the one that went to the store knowing you were sick and you’re going to bitch about someone else? You’ve been preaching this entire thread about other people making decisions that might put you at risk and then you roll into the store knowing full damn well you were sick.

And then people thumbs up your post?

Stop the planet, I want to get off.

Just think how much different things would be if people just stayed the hell home when they knew they were sick.

#28268 2 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

My god, he said he had a cold, and had to get meds for his sick wife. Stop the planet!

I'm so sick of the shit in this thread. Holier than thou people preaching from the mountain when it's convenient for them.

So what you're saying is that it's up to the individual to decide what exposure is acceptable? It's alright to expose people to the cold, how about the flu, tonsillitis or bronchitis? Are those OK?

Lets just play this out since we are indeed in the middle of a damn pandemic with a new virus that can easily produce symptoms mimicking the common cold in some individuals.

He goes to the store knowing damn well he's sick and gives it to someone else while hes busy hacking into his mask. They are terrified that they have COVID, so they start letting their family members know that they are sick having just been at a Christmas dinner. They call their employer and say "I'm sick and might have COVID". The employer tells them to quarantine and go get tested, so they begin the hunt for a PCR test, which are just about impossible to find. Antigen tests are sold out everywhere and being scalped on eBay for $50+ each. It takes the person 2 or 3 days to get a PCR test and another day to get the results.

Now that poor person has been off work for 4 days worried that they have COVID. So because someone was so smug enough to think that it's alright to give other people the cold in the middle of a damn pandemic that person has either lost 4 days of vacation or 4 days of pay.

Think it's alright now?

Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Tested negative and went to the store to get his wife meds..geez tough crowd!

I'd bet money it was a rapid, which are known to produce a significant number of false negatives. That's why most employers require two negative rapid tests or one negative PCR test.

It's 2021. I can have my pharmacy deliver medication by lunchtime.

#28312 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I like sugar. I have a sweet tooth. Yesterday was day 10 of my quarantine. I had to go get groceries.

Wow. Just wow.

#28328 2 years ago

10 days is the standard for length of quarantine.

So you are telling your patients that even if they are still symptomatic, then it’s perfectly acceptable to be in public after 10 days?

#28343 2 years ago

The standard for quarantine is 10 days. After 10 days from symptom onset you can come out of quarantine. Some people remain symptomatic longer than others.
I don’t make up the guidelines.
Why are you so dead set on being pissed off?

I think sick people should stay home, but apparently I'm in the minority in this thread.

#28358 2 years ago

How do you define sick? I have patients who have a persistent cough months after their infection. Should they stay home too?
Antibodies levels should be high enough to neutralize respiratory tract viral particles by 10 days and thus the patient should not be infectious at that time despite continued symptoms. That’s not a 100% certainty but nothing in medicine ever is and you have to pick a line somewhere.

The person I was quoting when you jumped in said they were on day 10 and was coughing up phlegm, waking up covered in sweat, had chills and was lethargic. I would define that as sick and not someone I want to stand next to in a store or have wait on me if I go out to dinner.

#28464 2 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

I now have to get a booster every 6 months, or quarantine for a whole week every time one of my cubical neighbors gets COVID.

My work instituted a policy where if you get COVID or need to quarantine and you're vaccinated, they cover the time off. However, if you're not vaccinated, you're required to use PTO to cover being out.

#28480 2 years ago
Quoted from smalltownguy2:

This is acceptable, IMHO.

Looks like a shakedown from where I’m sitting.

1 week later
#28693 2 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Sure freedom ,But the virus will continue to mutate amongst the un vaxxed . We have to stop the mutations and the only way is vaccination.

Wait, you're saying that COVID only mutates in the unvaccinated? Interesting....

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Spyderturbo007.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread?tu=Spyderturbo007 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.