272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 Important warning Posted by Daditude (4 years ago)

Post #6 Coronavirus website with up-to-the-moment stats Posted by Daditude (4 years ago)

Post #172 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #193 Name of disease and of the virus Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #209 Explains why you need social distancing Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #239 Comment on seasonality Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #251 Avoid ibuprofen Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #370 Info on chloroquine Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #530 News from Italy Posted by Pedretti_Gaming (4 years ago)

Post #693 Important info and advice Posted by ForceFlow (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PanzerFreak.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#55 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

I’m going to put a slightly positive spin on the US vs Italy comparison but it’s been said that Italy is one of the oldest nations in the world.
From news yesterday 99% of Deaths in Italy had other illness as well and average age of deaths in Italy is 79.5. Italy to this day is a very heavy smoking country which Dr’s are saying is contributing to their issues. Many with respiratory issues from a lifetime of smoking. Apparently some of these metrics apply across Europe in general.
Hope the reporting is somewhat accurate.

There are now reports of more and more younger people being hospitalized in Italy. This is why the younger people in the United States should be taking this more seriously as well as knowing that a careless attitude can lead to more people (such as their older family and friends) getting sick.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/coronavirus-italy-update-young-people-hospital-luca-lorini-bergamo-a9402531.html

“In Italy, the first clusters of the infection started around hospitals, more commonly frequented by older people, and in small towns,”

“Now the virus has spread, it is travelling around the whole country way more and it is younger people, with lots of social contact, that are more at risk of contracting the disease if they do not stick to the rules of social distancing.”

#59 4 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

Part of that reason is doctors there are rationing care based on likely outcomes. So a 19 yr old with no conditions comes in at same time as a 90 yr old diabetic with heart disease. They are gonna give the 90 yr old a paper bag and the 19 yr old the ventilator.

That's a good point and is why we keep hearing that younger people need to take this seriously so that there enough ventilators, medication, etc to go around for everyone.

#674 4 years ago

Some updates on the stimulus package here in the US, it could now reach $2 trillion or 10% of GDP. Both sides appear to be bickering about a number of things but do seem realize the urgency to get a large stimulus passed asap. I wouldn't be surprised if the stimulus package is signed into law by the end of next week.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/21/politics/stimulus-package-negotiations-congress-coronavirus/index.html

#1809 4 years ago

It sounds like Michigan is the next state to go on lockdown. I'm glad I sold a game early last week while I could.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/oakland/2020/03/23/whitmer-michigan-lock-down-like-ohio-six-others-coronavirus-covid-19/2896041001/

#2280 4 years ago
Quoted from FYMF:

Anyone else gaining weight and almost out of bourbon?

Haha. The ice cream and frozen pizza sections at my local grocery store have had low stock over these past two weeks. I grabbed the last two Ben and Jerry cookie dough pints at my local Kroger last week lol. Also, I try every week to make a Detroit style pizza at home. Flour, especially bread flour, has been hard to find over the past couple weeks.

#2330 4 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

I've been interested how little coverage there is of India. At least in the US media, the international COVID19 coverage seems largely focused on East Asia and Europe. India's got the population and population density issues of China, but more crushing poverty, and a much weaker national government (hard to compete with China on centralized control, of course, for better and for worse). Seems like it will hit India very hard, if it isn't already, though the younger population might help keep the death rate down.

The entire country of India, 1.3 billion people, will be under lockdown starting at midnight for 21 days. Something similar should have been done from the start here in the U.S. Instead we have states all doing different things and multiple directions from the federal government. There doesn't seem to be any consistency or a single focused plan from the top here in the U.S.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2020/03/24/coronavirus-indias-prime-minister-orders-nationwide-lockdown.html

#2454 4 years ago
Quoted from rwmech5:

Italy has been in lockdown since March 9 and their numbers keep on spiking, and we've still got people acting like it's no big deal. Grrr

2 weeks

heighwayexit2 (resized).jpgheighwayexit2 (resized).jpg

#2788 4 years ago
Quoted from PinJim:

I assume that'll double for a household? I make more than $75k per year. We are a single income household with two young children. I pay through the nose on taxes. So in short, I pay more than my fair share, but probably will get "phased out". I wonder if Robinhood helped author this thing? I'm not bitter; the whole thing sucks, really. Let's add some more to our national deficit...

Here's the details. From what I read this is based on 2019 tax filings.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/25/politics/stimulus-senate-action-coronavirus/index.html

"Under the plan as it was being negotiated, individuals who earn $75,000 in adjusted gross income or less would get direct payments of $1,200 each, with married couples earning up to $150,000 receiving $2,400 -- and an additional $500 per each child. The payment would scale down by income, phasing out entirely at $99,000 for singles and $198,000 for couples without children."

I don't see anything about head of household on the CNN article but a provision was in the Senate plan. I'm not sure if this provision got carried over (hopefully) to the joint plan.

"Senate Republicans have proposed a $1,200 refundable tax credit for individuals ($2,400 for joint taxpayers) which begins phasing out at a 5 percent rate at $75,000 for singles, $112,500 for heads of household, and $150,000 for joint taxpayers."

#3367 4 years ago

Well that was eye opening to see. This entire thing could have been better contained if a week or two ago the country was shut down for 3 weeks. Instead some states are issuing stay at home orders, others are not, and the federal government is all over the place with their response. If a major project at a company was run this way (meaning no plan, no consistency) a number of people would be fired.

One thing I heard today is that if a family member or friend gets hospitalized you can't go see them as hospital staff won't take the risk for you to become infected and spread the virus to others. There's a real possibility that if a loved one goes into the hospital that it will be the last time you ever see them. Then imagine if you are the one in the one hospitalized and there's the possibility of passing away without any friends or family around you. I don't know about anyone else but that's enough to scare the s*it out of me.

#3436 4 years ago
Quoted from wrb1977:

What do you mean by “shut down”?

A 3 week stay at home order for all Americans similar to what Britian, India, and other countries are doing. Those 3 weeks would suck staying home but instead we are now faced with this lasting for at least another 1-3 months here in the US with far more cases / deaths.

#3439 4 years ago

Dyson in Britian is ramping up to build 15,000 ventilators after receiving a call from the prime minister 10 days ago.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/26/tech/dyson-ventilators-coronavirus/index.html

"This new device can be manufactured quickly, efficiently and at volume," Dyson added, saying that the new ventilator has been designed to "address the specific needs" of coronavirus patients"

In the US Tesla is looking to quickly reopen a factory in New York for ventilator production.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/electrek.co/2020/03/25/tesla-reopen-gigafactory-new-york-covid19-ventilators/amp/

#3460 4 years ago

New unemployment claim numbers are out...now at 3.3 million in the U.S. The previous record was 695,000 back in 1982.

The stimulus package now being passed will provide additional unemployment money.

"In an unprecedented expansion of unemployment insurance, the federal government would give jobless workers an extra $600 a week for four months on top of their state benefits, which range from $200 to $550 a week, on average, depending on the state."

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/25/politics/stimulus-package-details-coronavirus/index.html

Capture (resized).JPGCapture (resized).JPG

#3510 4 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

For those of you that think we can just go back to normal work ASAP - without a science driven approach.
My son lives in Michigan and works for a small company, 12 employees or so. Started working from home 3/12. Found out today he was exposed to a coworker on 3/6 who started exhibiting flu like symptoms around 3/8 or 3/9.
That coworker was not given a CV test, despite asking for one constantly, and only found out it was CV 2 nights ago (3/24) when admitted to the hospital. Never given a test until symptoms were bad enough for hospital admission. Coworker is young and otherwise healthy btw.
No one has attempted to trace the coworker's contacts. My son is thankfully past the 14 day quarantine period - that he did not even know he was on - and has no symptoms.
This virus is all over the place. There are no strategies fully in place yet that allow us to think we are ok back at work. We still do not have adequate testing, no follow up plans for contact tracing/quarantine/follow up (like South Korea and others), we won't have adequate data until there is adequate testing for xx days/weeks, no proven treatments yet, and we have ZERO PPE available for non-healthcare workers to go back to work with.

That's good your son is healthy. The testing process does seem odd. If you have symptoms, and go to a drive up testing location you are more often than not (from what I read) told your symptoms don't warrant testing and to go home to self isolate for 14 days. If symptoms get worse you are then told to come back which for some people is too late as they needed hospital care earlier.

If people are being told to go home and self isolate for 14 days why are they not being given a test?

#3530 4 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

1. Tests are not widely available yet so we are prioritizing high risk cases.
2. For a low risk patient there is no difference in the treatment whether you test or not. Patients are presumed positive and told to self isolate and monitor their symptoms. It would be no different if they were tested. Even a negative test doesn’t completely rule it out because of possible false negatives so you still have to quarantine.

Thanks for the info!

#4164 4 years ago

The extra unemployment benefits are huge and a bit of a hint as to how long the government expects this to go on for. The extended unemployment benefits ($600 extra per week on top of state benefits) is for up to 4 months.

I have a family member that is 63 working at a pharmacy during this time. She's been considering retiring at the end of the year but now doesn't know what to do in the current situation as she could bring home the disease to her husband (retired) who is a lifetime smoker. I mentioned to her that the best thing that could happen to her is to be laid off at this point. She doesn't want to quit but also may have to consider it.

#4224 4 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

+1
What kind of ramp up time is involved in this, I would imagine it is months at best?

Much sooner and here is what GM said prior to the DPA act being used. According to the article a plant in Warren Michigan will start making medical masks next week with 50,000 being able to be made per day. Go GM!

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/27/gm-confirms-production-of-ventilators-following-trump-criticism.html

#4234 4 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

I'd prefer Honda or Toyota make my ventilator.

Are you going to deny the use of a GM made ventilator if you are hospitalized? 1000 of their workers are going to be making them and putting their own health on the line to save others. This is the first time since WW2 that something like this has happened. Be happy, and be proud that General Motors is the first auto maker in the US to start production.

#4245 4 years ago

I think theres a big benefit in using the DPA in that it will light a fire under the ass of companies that are thankfully already stepping up to the plate to make medical equipment. Theres a big difference in someone telling their boss "sure, I'll have that done in two weeks" and your boss telling you "you have 3 days".

#5144 4 years ago
Quoted from whitey:

Does anyone have any good news ?

There was 50% off at Jersey Mikes this weekend. Bought $50 worth of subs for $25 and now feel very full.

#5282 4 years ago

Spoke with a friend last night and 3 of his family members who live in the same house are sick with what he suspects is the virus. No one can get tested as there doctor said their symptoms don't warrant a test...These are all people 60 or older.

The father said he's never been this sick in his life before. He's now been sick for 2 weeks and last night had chills and a fever again. The mom has shortness of breath. My friend can't see them and is dropping groceries off at the front door. One of his mom's older friends is in a hospital hooked up to a ventilator after being diagnosed with the virus.

This $hit is real. Do what you can to stay healthy.

#5473 4 years ago

Go Ford! Just posted

20200330_165919 (resized).jpg20200330_165919 (resized).jpg

#5483 4 years ago

One comment I'll never forget reading online throughout all of this is from a UAW line worker who said "I won't go back to work to make trucks but I'll go back to make ventilators".

#6221 4 years ago

Even in the hardest hit area a good number of people are not following social distance guidelines. Hell, my aunt just asked me who's coming over for Easter Sunday dinner lol. I'm going to reply that it needs to be over Skype this year.

20200401_130937 (resized).jpg20200401_130937 (resized).jpg

#6303 4 years ago

Bill Gates is incredibly smart and it's amazing to see him devoting his retirement years to helping others around the world. Everyone who lived through the Spanish Flu (except for the very few now in their 100's) are gone. It seems like governments and humanity in general got rather lazy over the past 100 years in regards to global epidemic prevention.

Here's the full video

#6385 4 years ago

Once this things finally ends I think people (and their family / friends) that come out unaffected are going to have some of the best get togethers and parties of their lives. The next vacation people take will be more special, the next large family get together will have more meaning, and hell I wouldn't be surprised if Pinball Expo 2020 (hopefully still occuring by then) and Texas Pinball Festival 2021 will go down as two of the best pinball expos ever. Hope everyone stays safe and healthy!

#6657 4 years ago

Detroit bus driver Jason Hargrove died of Covid 19 a week after he recorded the video below about a women coughing multiple times on the bus without covering her mouth.

The amount of carelessness and stupidity being displayed by some people in this country during this time is mindboggling. It seems like every other country in the world other then the United States has a greater percentage of people following the rules and not doing stupid $hit.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/detroit/2020/04/02/detroit-bus-drivers-dead-covid-19/5115450002/

#7123 4 years ago
Quoted from bob_e:

I am not a fan of Gretchen...but this virus is highly contagious and deadly. 12.7K infected 479 deaths and counting.
Yes, I will be staying home.
Last I knew Texas does not have any quarantine order but individual counties do.
Would it be wrong for me to ask Pinside to suspend Pinball Machines for sale ???
https://www.bing.com/search?q=covid-19+michigan&form=WNSGPH&qs=LS&cvid=d32d92d63bdc464b84a902d726657387&pq=covid-19&cc=US&setlang=en-US&nclid=46C1591A1484FC4D2DD8BD9072A32EA5&ts=1586007015048&wsso=Moderate

Yeah I would not recommend taking the risk right now buying a used pin at someones house. I was in contact with one seller and he mentioned some health issues that would prevent him from helping to move the game. If I'm infected but don't know it I could negatively impact his health and everyone in that house. The same can be said if the seller is sick and doesn't really know it (or just thinks its a cold, doesn't care, etc). Plus a neighbor or someone could call the cops saying "hey these idiots are moving an arcade machine during all of this" or post a picture on Facebook of people moving a game with a negative message (anything is possible nowadays). Finally in Michigan I think the fine for violating the stay at home order is now $1,000 and possibly a misdemeanor charge as well.

My wife is also purposely taking unpaid time off of work as when she does get a cold she always has severe coughing (bronchitis) that lasts for a month so who knows how bad COVID 19 could affect her. I could then risking exposing her as well by buying or selling a used game at this time. I sold a game a week prior to the stay at home order here in MI and afterwards was disinfecting everything around the house. I wouldn't attempt that today with the number of cases and the stay at home order.

If I was going to buy a game right now I would only buy NIB, have the game delivered (take precautions with delivery driver moving game into garage, signing paperwork, etc), and then let it sit the in the garage for a few days. There's even a risk there but the same can be said with having anything delivered.

#7686 4 years ago

Anyone else notice more and more restaurants now closing indefinitely versus just being open for carry out? An owner of a local restaurant chain around my area said they will "save" more money staying closed then only being open for carryout. Then I heard this morning that my favorite local breakfast / lunch joint (family owned) is closing until this all blows over as well.

It seems like a lot of businesses that initially said they could keep people on while being closed have now started layoffs. Some of these businesses could afford to keep people on for a couple weeks while being closed but not for a month or more. No wonder this past weeks unemployment claim count jumped to 6 million +. Hope things start improving soon.

#7698 4 years ago

Damn ice cream isle at my local Kroger was bare bones again. I need a pint or two of Ben and Jerry's cookie dough (posting this while on an exercise bike lol).

20200405_075356_Burst01 (resized).jpg20200405_075356_Burst01 (resized).jpg

#7832 4 years ago

Here in Michigan returning bottles is banned under the stay at home order and people have been buying up alcohol like crazy. Once this is all over I would expect to see some very long lines with carts packed full of beer and White Claw cans at the bottle return area lol.

#7835 4 years ago
Quoted from Cmjb13:

I’ve only been in the workforce for about 25 years (20 corporate).In my opinion, it’s always been like that. If you expect differently, you will be disappointed.
As far as companies forcing their staff to work, if they don’t like it, they can just stop showing up. I doubt they would have any difficulty finding replacements.

I'll say this about a local company and union stepping up big time for their workers. Employees were offered to continue coming into work (with various social distancing steps taken and guidelines in place) or take unpaid time off during the stay at home order yet retain their job and benefits. A cousin of mine is taking the company and union up on the offer and staying at home for at least 2 weeks. He said his wife is working from home and that they can swing the bills on 1 income for a couple months so not a bad idea. When he gets sick he usually ends up with bronchitis and doesn't want to take the risk of going into work at this time. I wonder how many companies are offering something like this right now.

#7997 4 years ago
Quoted from Cmjb13:

Last I’ll comment on this...
I’m sure it’s inaccurate to paint them all with a broad brush like that, but I believe most are.
Both my parents were part of a union. I never saw them as a good thing. I know what’s best for me. Why would I want someone else negotiating for me that is not in my best interest?
I’ve found most union workers (again, not all) are unmotivated and game the system since they feel bulletproof due to the difficulty in being able to be fired.

Just a side note thousands of UAW workers are now working to manufacture face masks, face shields, ventilators and other medical equipment. These workers are putting themselves at risk and are working hard to help save others. 12 hour shifts for 13 days straight?! I doubt 99% of salaried workers have pulled that off. Very thankful for these workers.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/ford/2020/04/06/ford-uaw-make-million-face-shields-nypd-nyfd/2951650001/

"UAW member Pat Tucker, 55, has worked 12-hour days for 13 days in a row making face shields. She starts her shift at 6 a.m. and talked with the Free Press just after getting home to Roseville on Sunday night,

"We started out doing 30,000 and then 40,000 and now we have been doing over 200,000 a day," she said. "We’re doing it all by hand.""

#8260 4 years ago

There seems to be some report that levels of hospitalizations in some area are starting to level off. We've seen a good number of reports of people not taking this virus seriously but I think a large majority of people are and that's helping to slow this thing down. Now people just need to keep it up and hope that state and federal government don't relax social distancing guidelines and stay at home orders too early.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/health/2020/04/07/coronavirus-anthony-fauci-social-distancing-deborah-birx/2959335001/

"While Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, was quick to caution that the U.S. still has much work to do amid this public health emergency, he pointed to "good signs" from New York, citing data saying the numbers of hospitalizations, ICU admissions and requirements for intubations over the last three days have started to level off."

"Everybody who knows me know I'm very conservative about making projections, but those are the kind of good signs that you look for," Fauci said during Monday's coronavirus task force briefing at the White House. "You never even begin to think about claiming victory prematurely, but that's the first thing you see when you start to see the turnaround."

"I don't think anyone has ever mitigated the way I've seen people mitigate right now," Fauci said. "This has never happened in this country before. So, I am optimistic — always cautiously optimistic — that if we do what I've been talking about over the past few minutes, we can make that number go down.

#8968 4 years ago

Here in Michigan the stay at home order is being extended through the end of the month. Also, as of this Saturday the governor is now banning people from going to see friends and family even in small numbers. I'm not sure how they are going to enforce that one.

I saw a friend the other week who lives on his own, his folks have the virus, and another is hospitalized by it so he literally can see no one from his family in person. We sat outside 15ft a part at his house where I brought my own lawn chair. Not sure what the harm is with continuing to do that but I'm sure some people wouldn't be that cautious so instead any visiting is being banned.

#8970 4 years ago
Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

Sorry but I don't know how it works in the US, I thought if you were not insured you had to pay, So if I was one of the 10 million that just had been laid off and have no money why would I go get a $2-3k Covid test.

Many insurers in the US are now covering Covid 19 tests and any treatment as a result of the virus. I'm not sure if the US stimulus plan recently passed is covering Covid 19 tests and treatment for those uninsured.

#8971 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

It seem like the U.S. has decided, all of a sudden, it needs to a socialist government in everything but health care. Four yeas ago we were told Obama Care would be replaced with "something great". We are still waiting for health care greatness to happen.

Not sure who's going to pay the $30 - $60 trillion for a universal health care system in the US and if people want to see their taxes go up 20-30% to pay for it.

Edit: Sorry, I know no political talk!

#9112 4 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

$2.2 T first round Stimulus
$2.3 T for another round stimulus
Saying there’s gonna be 4 or 5 rounds
Feels like I’m sitting in Oprah’s audience. “You get a trillion! You get a trillion! Everyone gets a trillion!” Yayyy!!!!

Inflation is going to suck

0_zjvIL7X7ZLqHdTXq (resized).jpeg0_zjvIL7X7ZLqHdTXq (resized).jpeg

#9156 4 years ago

New shirts from Made in Detroit here in Michigan lol.

MS619StaySafeDetroit-shirt-frontandback_1024x1024 (resized).jpgMS619StaySafeDetroit-shirt-frontandback_1024x1024 (resized).jpg

#9338 4 years ago

Once things do start to reopen does anyone else think it will be at limited capacity? For example maybe every place starts reopening but only at 25% capacity for the first month, then 50% the second month, then 75% three months later. This way any small uptick in new cases could be detected and mitigation would be eaiser if neccessary versus if the entire country is just reopened at 100% capacity.

#10031 4 years ago

If you want to read a good funny story check this out. Imagine being this guy lol.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/france-fighter-jet-ejection-scli-intl/index.html

#10499 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

The chart changed tonight.
Out with the old
[quoted image]
In with the new
[quoted image]

Not good. Is there a reason for such a big jump after several days of a decrease? It seems like like some states are starting to report lower hospitalization rates.

#10909 4 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

Yeah, me too.
The unemployment rate at the height of the great depression was 24.9%
We are currently at 18% unemployment, and several outlets have reported that estimates will reach over 30%.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/fortune.com/2020/04/16/us-unemployment-rate-numbers-claims-this-week-total/amp/

Right there is why I won't be buying a NIB pin any time soon. I've been tempted over the weeks but feel its more important to just keep saving and appreciate what ya got during this time as who knows what's going to happen with the economy. Things are going to start opening back up in some capacity come May but the effects on the economy are going to last for months to come. It may take 6 months, a year, or maybe even longer before we see consumer spending return to levels prior to the pandemic.

#11219 4 years ago

May 1st is now 2 weeks away. Will see what restrictions start lifting and guidelines are in place by then around the country.

heighwayexit2 (resized).jpgheighwayexit2 (resized).jpg

#11796 4 years ago
Quoted from WJxxxx:

Nothing whatsoever regarding civil disobedience or protests in the UK about the lockdown. In fact it's the opposite, people pointing out the idiots who are going out for 'non-essential' reasons. We're pretty much looking at USA and POTUS thinking WTF, unbelieving that people are trusting in the propaganda - that it's a political conspiracy and that the danger is over hyped.
My GF lives in the South of France, the reaction is more similar to the UK. People are hating fact that they intend to break the lockdown (in schools first) before there is a vaccine or widespread tests and that people, are still dying in huge numbers.
I know people in most European countries through my pinball travels, and they're all understanding and approving of the lockdown.
My sister lives in NYC and is a teacher along with her husband and live in a smallish apartment with 2 children 8 & 12. Despite having to do online teaching for their pupils as well as taking care of their own kids they are in shock at the protests as well.
The way SOME Americans are treating this is truly remarkable and a very poor reflection on the American people as a whole.

This virus has unfortunately shown just how undisciplined some Americans have become with a "no one will tell me what to do" attitude. That type of mindset has been growing for years and just finally blew with this. Then if someone doesn't like one version of the facts based on science they just find another source that tells them what they want to hear. Yes its bonkers. It's frustrating for those trying to follow the guidelines while others don't give a crap and end up putting thousands of others at risk.

At the same time millions are now out of work, stressed out, can't pay their bills, depressed, etc. Its been a very difficult time for many.

#12067 4 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

Well since we last met, Covid has hit close to home, a good friends father passed away from the virus, whom I also knew well for many years. I’m ready for this to be over.

I'm sorry to hear that Scary times.

#12191 4 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

So back to pinball for a bit. How does everyone think this will affect the pinball market if this continues on for many more months? Do prices hold or if more lose their jobs, is it inevitable prices on some games will drop?
Also wondering about NIB. Is Stern making any games at all right now or is the line still shut down? What are the chances they role out any new games before fall and is demand for NIB purchases going to soften significantly given how many many are unemployed or worried about their jobs?

Those are good questions. Some distributors have said that sales have been very good during the pandemic with many titles selling out. Part of this seems to be attributed to people wanting to have a new pinball machine in their home during this time. Personally I don't think that trend is going to last beyond a month or two as the sales from more financially stable buyers wear out.

There's now been over 25 million unemployment claims within the past 5 weeks, from what I read that's 1 in 6 American workers. Eventually the fallout from that will hit the pinball market and it likely already has considering the large uptick in for sale ads we've seen over the past month. For those workers that are not laid off only a small portion is going to be willing to drop $6k - $12k+ on a new pinball machine of all things. I bet most workers are just trying to pay their bills and or are in saving mode.

#12403 3 years ago
Quoted from Dent00:

The state of Mississippi went from "Stay at Home" to "Safer at Home" status today.
What that means is that I still can't get a hair cut, among other things, and it is starting to get out of control.
I guess I will have to procrastinate on a hair cut for another 2 weeks.

I'm with ya there on the hair. One of part of me is thinking of doing a buzz cut but another part says to go full Dude and show up to the first day back at work in the summer like this with a Hawaiian shirt on lol.

The-Big-Lebowski-Sunglasses21 (resized).pngThe-Big-Lebowski-Sunglasses21 (resized).png

#12414 3 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Back to work next Monday . This should be interesting as I see half ass social distancing everywhere

Beaches reopened in California, this is from two days ago. Looks like social distancing guidelines are in effect...

5472 (resized).jpg5472 (resized).jpg

#12880 3 years ago

Well this is interesting regarding Texas starting to reopen.

"Texas reported its highest daily number of COVID-19 deaths, just a day before Governor Abbott’s stay-at-home order expired and the state began reopening. On Thursday, the Lone Star State death toll reached 50, bringing the total number of coronavirus fatalities in the state to 782. Positive cases increased by 1,033, the biggest one-day jump in three weeks."

https://abcnews.go.com/US/covid-19-cases-rise-state-starts-1st-phase/story?id=70454101

So many guidelines and it doesn't sound like there won't be a strict rule on enforcement of them. Every man for himself seems to be the approach?

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/heres-whats-reopening-texas-phase-1-begins-restaurants-bars-church-nail-salon/287-4367ea93-e363-4178-99f3-6bd1a177ca9b

#12937 3 years ago

So one good thing about all of this has been that life doesn't seem as crazy and faced paced anymore. No more driving to multiple family parties per month, no more meeting up with mutliple friends per month for dinner or drinks, no more packed non stop weekends, no where near as much driving, etc.

Don't get me wrong I like seeing my friends and family but I forgot what it felt like to be this relaxed. Hell I read a story about how one family forgot what it felt like to sit down for dinner as a family in their own home as they were always on the go.

Anyone else feel similar?

Today sitting around drinking beer.

images (resized).jpegimages (resized).jpeg

#13184 3 years ago

Wow. The amount of disrespect occurring during all of this and how some people refuse to be even be remotely inconvenienced is disturbing. To top it all off no one can seem to agree on the facts. There seems to be an article, a doctor, or a scientist that can contradict every viewpoint. If someone doesn't like how data on the virus is being presented they can just browse the internet for an article with "science" that they approve of. We seem to quickly be going to the "every man for himself" strategy with the way things are going.

#13522 3 years ago

These types of reports are sadly becoming a common occurence here in the US. Nowhere else in the world is this type of behavior occurring on such a wide and regular basis. Also, here in Michigan a security guard at a family dollar was shot and killed over asking a customer to wear a mask. Crazy.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/10/us/ice-cream-shop-closes-employee-harassment-trnd/index.html

#13534 3 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

It's not supposed to be a decision. Billie has been openly telling us about his grande virus and vaccine plan for years now.
Luckily all that research hasn't been for nothing, since some highly researched/manipulated virus has just accidentally mysteriously poped up, and it comes at just the right time! ... Phew!

Please tell me you don't think Bill Gates wanted the virus to happen (or created it...) just so he can develop a vaccine with secret nanobots code named "Windows 20" that he can push mind controlling monthly patch updates to lol.

#13557 3 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:I'm pretty sure we wouldn't have over 80,000 people dead in our country from a virus with only a ".000002 chance of death".

Yup. Oh, but the flu and cancer kill more people! I'm so tired of hearing that argument, its insulting to those affected by this virus. These are 80,000 + unnecessary deaths that are in addition to other causes and they didn't need to happen.

#13723 3 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Yep, the country did a great job and almost everyone did what they were told to do.
Almost 0 cases every day for the last week.
I started back at my building site 2 weeks ago. Still some restrictions but they will hopefully be phased out over the next few weeks.
Nice one!
rd

"almost everyone did what they were told to do"

That's the difference maker. Americans don't like being told what to do! The acts of stupidity and disrespect are on full display here thanks to years of many Americans living with a growing "no one will tell me what to do" attitude. How many people were shot and killed in New Zealand for being asked to wear a mask, or employees at stores having customers purposely cough / wipe their nose on them, teens coughing on groceries, park rangers pushed into ponds because they asked others to social distance, or a retail store employee (Target, recent story) having their arm broken after a fight broke out over customers not wearing masks? None.

These acts only represent a small part of the US but the amount and frequency of them isn't occuring anywhere else in the world. The sad part is many of these deaths could have been avoided if there was a strict one month national lockdown in the US. Instead individual states are allowed to do whatever they want however strict or loose they want, and this thing is now lasting much longer. Why? Americans don't like to be inconvenienced in the slightest.

End rant lol.

#13743 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

There's nothing more American than a buffet.
They will be back, I'm sure of it.

Lol very true. There's nothing like going into one thinking "I'm starving and will eat 10 plates of food" and then leaving thinking "what in the hell was I thinking".

#13750 3 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I love buffets! Always have and always will. I just hope they don't go the way of the dodo bird. I also love cruising, another industry that is getting pummeled.

I'm with ya and hope cruises come back as well. It's possible a cruise line or two will go under during all of this but I bet cruising in general comes back next year. I wouldn't be surprised if all self serve dining options are gone when they do return, will probably need to ask for items at a buffet versus taking them yourself. Maybe all the precautions to come will reduce the spread of germs on future cruises making them safer then before the pandemic.

#13779 3 years ago

This article is a couple weeks old but pretty interesting. Americans are saving cash at the highest rate since 1981. Seems like a lot of people are in wait and see mode regarding non discretionary spending. I was just talking to my neighbor who is getting called back to work after being furloughed for 2 months. He wants to buy a new truck but is going to hold off as he's worried he will be laid off again in the fall as he doesn't see business returning anywhere close to pre pandemic levels for a while.

I can see businesses recalling only a portion of staff as consumer demand that was there before the pandemic may not exist for 6 months, a year, or longer.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/30/investing/savings-rate-federal-reserve/index.html

#14308 3 years ago

Annie Glenn, widow of astronaut and Senator John Glenn, has passed away at 100 due to complications from Covid 19. It's a sad ending but at the same time what an amazing life she had.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/05/19/annie-glenn-widow-astronaut-us-senator-john-glenn-dies-100/5219556002/

1 week later
#15036 3 years ago

For those Pinsiders that don't live in the US how do you view the United States right now? I'm curious because citizens here are often brought up to believe that Americans are the best at everything, that "we are #1" in everything we do, etc. It wasn't until I went to college that I began questioning that mindset. We are number one alright, number one in the number of cases and Covid-19 deaths.

The US seems like a scary place right now with everything going on. Thank goodness for the NASA / SpaceX launch over the weekend as its one of few things that can unite people and that everyone can be proud of. I think the idea and concept of America is incredible (a mix of all cultures, races, religions, etc) but that it's people are failing each other in letting that concept thrive to its fullest.

#15043 3 years ago
Quoted from Asael:

I would like to answer your question and I hope this is ok also my answer has nothing to do with corona. I grew up with American soldiers stationed around my village and they are still here. Some say we’re still occupied, I think they are here to help, so that we all could live in freedom. And I hope the american soldiers keep staying here.
As a kid I loved their ice cream on Independence Day and as a kid they let me sit in a F16 Falcon (I think that’s why I later went to the german army). They were always friendly, and I liked them. And perhaps as a kid I thought they were the best and number one in the world. I learned to speak the english language way before I got into school. In school I failed the English course because I was talking like on the street and not the british english they wanted to teach us. I watched american TV Shows, always loved the music and the culture. As a teenager I loved the book “Centennial” from James R. Michener that covered a big part of American history. I love western movies with John Wayne like “The Searcher” and my all-time favorite TV show is “Northern Exposure”. I cannot live without american music from, soul and blues, over folk to rock and metal.
Over the years I have met many American families from different corners of the country. They taught me how to love and watch American Football. And I played baseball with them and had fun. They let me sneak into the base to buy things that you could not get here in Germany. Then after 9.11. something started to be bit different many Americans started to close everything and keep for themself. I could understand this. There were times when soldiers from the Iraq war came in my pub and were broken down, after a few drinks they started crying over the things they saw there or about lost friends. Sometimes they wanted to get in fights, and I had to show and tell them that they are now under friends again. I could understand all this, also it sometimes was precarious.
And still through the years I often found good friends and with the internet I could keep in contact with them:
The Texan girl, who is a good musician and has a farm where they filmed a lot of westerns.
The guy from LA that became a member and big part of a traditional runners club in my village and had a wife here but left her and went back to the USA.
The black guy from Hawaii with the german name “Fritz”, one night I taught him very drunk a few swear words that are used in my village, only to hear him say these words to the referee the next day in a soccer match which resulted in a red card.
The Captain from a Irish New Yorker family that had run a pub in NY and always came to my similar pub cause of homesickness as long as he stayed in the US army here.
The big black guy from Belize, who is in the freemasonry and has a teacher as his wife who loved world music and my beer. And told me that he wants to come back in a few years to live the rest of his life in my village, far away from all the racism he is confronted in the USA.
I still have contact with them after they left and there were many more!
And under my good friends are still Americans living in my little village:
An American/Mexican ex-soldier who stayed here after his army time as a sport teacher and soccer coach.
Or the beautiful wife of the mayor of my village, who could not vote for her husband in his election, cause she still only has her american citizenship and wants to keep it that way.
And one of my best friends an ex-soldier from Puerto Rico who also stayed here and has a good salsa band and many kids and grandchildren who are living here now like german natives.
One of my neighbors is an old friendly lady from Jacksonville who hates Trump and she wants to live here till she dies also she misses surfing.
All these people are different, different colors, religion and view on politics, but they are all coming from the USA. They are genuinely nice, and I like talking with them as often as possible, almost daily!
2 Years ago, I went to watch my first NFL game in London. I am a big Seahawks fan, always was, no bandwagon fan! I came into the Wembley stadium and searched for my seat. Direct next to me sitting was an old guy from seattle, I would say around 80 years old. Before I could sit, he looked at me in my Seahawks shirt from up to down. Then he said that this is a big relieve for him, he thought he had to travel so far, and he was afraid he had to sit next to a Raiders fan. I told him that I am a real Seahawks fan, but that I am from Germany. He said: “Bloody Nazi doesn’t matter, as long you are no Raider!” Normally to call someone a nazi would be a big insult but I had to laugh about this. After the game he said to me: “Son you did great, cheering up the team!” And that I am a real “12” and that I should come to watch a game in Century field one day. That was for me like I have been knighted! Later that night I got drunk with a nice couple of Raiders fans from oakland in the London Crobar. I still have a video from her saying "Go hawks!", took me a lot of drinks to get her this far.
So why I am telling you all this? Perhaps it is not the answer that you wanted but It does not matter for me if America is the number one and the best or not. It does not matter if you start a rocket into space. When I write “Black lives matter” on facebook it is not against America, it is the opposite. As long I have so many friends from your country, and as long I am invited as a friend. I am on the side of the American people as a friend too. You have problems in your country, we have problems here, sometimes the same, sometimes different. But as people I think we almost have the same background and the same culture and, in many things, the same way of thinking. We value the same things: Freedom, democracy and human rights. We should keep working and living together in this world. Does it matter where we are born? And I think that covid shows us this more than anything else. May the force be with you!

Thank you for the post! I'm glad you have had so many good encounters with Americans over the years. I would love to visit Germany one day.

1 week later
#15254 3 years ago

Cases and deaths are continuing to go down here in Michigan. I know our governor here received a lot of criticism for the extent of the lockdown but I do think it saved lives. There's other states that opened earlier and didn't have as many restrictions but cases and deaths are going up in many of them. Metro Detroit and the Grand Rapids area was hit very hard by Covid-19.

One of the worst things, besides the loss of life of course, that is coming out of this is the affect on some people's jobs / careers. My neighbor is a tool and die maker and was furloughed for two months. Well, he got called back to work only to be told he's laid off along with 20% of the company. A cousin of mine in a different industry also saw 20% of his company laid off. While many companies are bringing back workers many are not bringing back all of them.

1 week later
#15603 3 years ago

Anyone else pack on some extra pounds during the pandemic? I've gained 5lbs and have been trying to keep it at that. Yeah...I just ate a 48oz container of Superman ice cream today so that probably doesn't help lol.

#15650 3 years ago

It's been sad seeing the latest trends here in the U.S over the past few weeks. Controlling the virus in the U.S has not been consistent as there was never a nationwide lockdown, and every state is handling controlling the virus differently. Imagine if the U.S did a nationwide lockdown from mid March to the end of April? The virus would be virtually eliminated by now but instead it's now going to drag out for months if not a year or longer.

#15755 3 years ago

How a good chunk of Americans view being asked to wear a mask and to social distance. No wonder we are seeing cases spiking in 20+ states. A one month national lockdown back in April looks pretty good right now.

Capture (resized).JPGCapture (resized).JPG

#15838 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Proud to be an American, where at least I know I’m free!
To spread some fucking virus around so I can eat lunch at Applebee’s! [quoted image]

Lol. My goodness, we have to be a joke to the rest of the world with our overall response to this virus. I know some states have done better then others at controlling it but the lack of a nation wide lockdown and letting every state do whatever they want has bit this country in the ass.

#15911 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yes people are really getting this stupid. The big difference between this - and say, cigs and wearing shirts and shoes - is that certain idiots with lots of followers have decided to turn this into a political and ideological litmus test. The fact that it’s going to cost countless lives doesn’t really matter to them, all they care about are “optics” and division.

Bit of a rant here.

It is sickening with the way the virus has been handled here in the U.S. This entire thing would have been nearly gone had a one month national lockdown been implemented in April but no. How could we inconvenience people for a whole month, after all no one tells an American what to do! Instead we are letting this thing drag out for months and as a result thousands more are dying. That's not freedom, it's stupidity. The federal government failed its people with its response to the virus and now states are left to respond however much, or little, they want. The problem with this approach is there's no plan, and no consistency to combat the virus. If a project manager ran a project like the federal government has handled the virus they would have been fired months ago. To make matters worse wearing a mask is now apparently a political statement versus to protect others and slow the spread. We're screwed.

3 weeks later
#16932 3 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

What will it take?
100,000 new cases a day coming soon?
200,000 a day in a couple months?
ICUs closing? Health care collapsing?
What makes those who dont believe in Masks, feel the answer is to stop this?
Please do share with an example of what else works?
History shows Plagues like this can last for years and decades with Herd Immunity....
Any official answers other than a gut feeling, or a miracle?
Then comes the Bill.....so far, we have doubled the National debt, which means double your taxes,
just to stay even, with interest only. The $1200 check comes with a $60,000 Bill.

The approach being taken here in the US is dangerous, beyond disappointing, and pretty much insane. Right now the approach from the federal government seems to be "let's just not talk about it and it will go away". Science doesn't work that way and meanwhile thousands more die every week. I bet we would have half, maybe even a quarter, of deaths from Covid-19 had a 1-2 month nationwide lockdown occured back in April - May but no...we had to rush to get back to going out to eat and to the bars! We are now paying the price while the rest of the world laughs at us.

1 week later
#17216 3 years ago

For anyone else working remote due to Covid do you think you will be back in the office by the end of summer (or already back), or not until sometime next year? Been working remote here since early March.

#17236 3 years ago
Quoted from DaWezl:

I work for a company based overseas, which I mention bc they take this VERY seriously. They’ve opened the local offices back up but the capacity is greatly reduced. No more than 15% are allowed to be there plus additional regulations about no cube neighbors being in on the same day. We’ve managed to stay fully productive working at almost 100% remote, so there’s no rush from management to get us all back in the office.
For me personally, I’ve gone back in 2x and somewhat enjoyed having the facilities to myself, so I could see popping in once in a while to get stuff done without distractions. Most of my work revolves around people management though, so if they aren’t there, it doesn’t make a lot of sense for me to be there either.
Long term, we were having issues with crowding in the offices anyway, so I could see them continuing this arrangement for longer than the pandemic might require. It saves them lots of $$ with not having to get a larger space (plus all the amenities like coffee, toiletries, etc). I’m enjoying being at home and avoiding the 40 minute commute, but I do miss having access to my double monitor setup and the big printers.

That sounds like a good approach. Like you said the remote work will save a lot of companies money in the long run by not needing as many buildings. I think we are going to see a lot more companies switch to at least a hybrid approach of having employees come in some days, work remote the others. People will likely be more happy because of it.

I feel like I can get so much more done working from home and the 1.5 hours I would spend commuting per day can now be used for running errands, working around the house, etc. Driving 45 minutes to work, working 8 hours, then 45 minutes home, and then spending another hour cutting the grass or shoveling snow sucked. Things just seem less stressful working from home.

Quoted from Gomer1969:

They have already told us it will be permanent. Maybe go in a couple times a month to see who we work with.
Not looking forward to that at all. I enjoy my friends at work. This will leave me with only my pinball circle and well you know how strange that group is

Wow, yeah I've heard of a few companies going permanent work from home, that's a big change. I'm with ya about seeing coworkers, every once in a while is good. With working full remote collaboration seems harder, there's little to no sense of a team, etc. Before all of this I was working 3 days remote, and 2 days in the office which I thought was a good balance. Once this is all over I would still want to go into the office at least once a week. There's something nice about getting out the house, seeing coworkers in person, and walking around the city at lunch.

2 weeks later
#17840 3 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

New Zealand isn’t out of the water yet. 4 new cases that are not linked to international travel.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/aug/11/new-zealand-records-first-new-covid-19-cases-in-102-days

Yeah just read that. What's amazing is that with 4 new cases New Zealand is already re-implementing several lockdown restrictions.

"Under the new restrictions businesses including restaurants, bars and non-essential shops will close. People will only be allowed to leave their homes to conduct essential activities such as picking up supplies from grocery stores. Gatherings over 10 people will also be restricted and schools will be closed for three days."

Meanwhile here in the U.S we've had 5 million + cases, are averaging 1,000 deaths a day, and people are getting in fights over wearing masks... A good chunk of American's could care less if 5% of citizens die of this virus, the remaining 95% can go out to eat and to the bar then! It's a sad state of affairs here to say the least.

2 months later
#19585 3 years ago

It's frustrating that the US is still in such bad shape in regards to controlling the virus and that the numbers are getting worse going into the fall. Some people treat being told to wear a mask to the Revolutionary War with their freedom being taken away, ridiculous.

My mom is going in for a pretty major surgery next week and her doctor had one piece of advice for her to follow until then..."stay healthy". She was already in the hospital last month and the policy at the hospital is 1 visitor per day, not one at a time, 1 and that's it. Prior to September the hospital wasn't allowing any visitors. My dad and I have had to tell people not to come over and visit her to reduce the chance of her getting sick prior to the surgery, same goes for me who has a cold right now. It's interesting how this pandemic has changed how we would regularly do things.

#19681 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It’s time for a national 2 week lockdown. And a real one. Shut everything down. As completely as possible.
Why are we still dicking around with this? It’s crazy. 2-3 week lockdown this would be close to over.
Lets get it together people!

Are you crazy?! No one is going to tell American's what to do! A lot of people here are acting like not wearing a mask is the equivalent to fighting for our freedom in the Revolutionary War. "I don't have to wear a mask, I don't have to listen to anyone"... Instead another 100k+ people may die of the virus in the US before a vaccine is widely distributed but hey at least people can go out to lunch and to the bars. It's a sad state of affairs.

4 months later
#21885 3 years ago

Is the CDC being unreasonable expecting people not to travel, and not to gather after being vaccinated? I don't see a vast majority of American's following that guideline after being vaccinated.

"Unfortunately, vaccination is not a free pass to travel".

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/05/health/cdc-vaccinated-covid-19-guidelines-wait/index.html

#21904 3 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

My Uncle died from Covid tismorning. Got it at Church and ended up getting pneumonia that did him in. Fuck Covid!

Sorry for your loss, that is terrible.

#21924 3 years ago

The whole "You won't tell me to wear a mask" and all the fights, and protests surrounding it has been the one of most insane things I've ever seen in this country. We must look like a joke to other countries when they see Americans throwing a tantrum over wearing a mask.

2 weeks later
#22108 3 years ago

Found a vaccine appointment using https://www.findashot.org/. Closest I could find was about an hour away but I'll take it (early next week).

#22133 3 years ago

Here's an interesting story if anyone wonders "Does the vaccine actually work".

One of my friends and his wife had 4 family members recently over for a small gathering. A day later one of the family members learned they were exposed to Covid a couple days prior. Well, he got it along with everyone else at the gathering...except for the 1 person that was vaccinated a month or so back. My friend was given an anti body injection which he said helped a lot with his recovery, his sister who was at the party was hospitalized due to Covid but is finally out.

1 week later
#22220 3 years ago

Took my grandmother, aunt, and myself to get our first shots today at a local CVS. We were in and out in about 30 minutes, very efficient and easy process. 1 down, 1 to go!

2 weeks later
#22325 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

This is not good. I figured since I was vaccinated, that I could still get infected. But I thought dying was not supposed to be part of the package.
https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/14/health/breakthrough-infections-covid-vaccines-cdc/index.html
"About 5,800 people who have been vaccinated against coronavirus have become infected anyway, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention tells CNN.
Some became seriously ill and 74 people died, the CDC said. It said 396 -- 7% -- of those who got infected after they were vaccinated required hospitalization.

With the vaccine being around 95% effective there was bound to still be thousands of positive cases and sadly even some deaths with 100+ million people being vaccinated. Dying from Covid if you've had the vaccine sounds like a < .01% chance. One article I looked up said the chances of dying from Covid after being vaccinated are 0.00003%.

If you are vaccinated I say go and enjoy your life. I take this virus seriously but at some point we need to get back to normal or this will never end.

Quoted from jfh:

Unfortunately many who get vaccinated are going to assume they don’t have to continue social distancing and masking and we’ll see more and more infections despite vaccinations. And a vaccine that’s 90% effective isn’t going to help those in the 10% group ...

Below are CDC guidelines for gatherings if you are vaccinated. I understand the need to still wear a mask in public but if you are meeting other vaccinated people in a private setting a mask isn't needed.

Once fully vaccinated I'll still of course continue to wear a mask in public but I'm no longer going to fear this virus. Nothing is ever 100% guaranteed, hell there's probably a .01% we die of something else other then Covid each day.

323698_A_COVID-19_AfterVaccine (resized).jpg323698_A_COVID-19_AfterVaccine (resized).jpg

#22335 3 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

I saw that CNN article & news reports of "Breakthrough" cases. There was a heated exchange with Fauci and dip in Congress arguing why we still have to wear masks even if you are fully vaccinated. It amazes me that people still don't get it after this long. Even vaccinated there is still a chance at getting it if exposed. The vaccines are not 100% guaranteed which is why they recommend still wearing a mask. Yes, there's still a chance. You can get it and may/may not have symptoms and spread it. The longer the virus can find people to spread it to it will keep living and mutating unfortunately.
[quoted image]

That's a good point. I also think that if there was a "You no longer have to wear a mask in public if you have the vaccine" guideline that it would cause a majority of people (both vaccinated and not) to stop caring about mask wearing. A lot of people would probably just lie and say "Yup, I got the vaccine" when they didn't. Part of me thinks that's the real reason.

#22371 3 years ago
Quoted from Lame33:

As a vaccinated person with friends who are also vaccinated but skittish about getting back together, I find this explanation in the NYT of the hesitance some people are feeling around getting back to normal most illuminating.
https://nyti.ms/3grH2kS
Or maybe they just don't want to hang out with me anymore....

I can see how people can feel that way. Personally after I'm fully vaccinated its game on. I'll wear a mask of course in public but I'm no longer living in fear of this virus. If there's still a .0003 % chance I'll catch Covid and die of it so be it, the odds of sitting inside my house and dying of something else is probably greater.

#22372 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Google "Ted Nugent gets COVID".

Hope he finally realizes it's not a scam anymore. The sad part is him mocking the virus for months probably led to at least a handful of his fans catching the virus and potentially dying from it (as well as spreading it). What's crazy is that apparently people around him told him not to say anything about catching Covid. To not say anything just to keep up the lies that the virus is hoax is absolutely insane.

“I have had flu symptoms for the last 10 days. I thought I was dying,” the singer said. “I literally could hardly crawl out of bed the last few days, but I did, I crawled.”

#22408 3 years ago

So this was a bit surprising today at a local CVS. I went to get my second shot and no one was in line for a vaccine. When I went for the first shot 3 weeks ago appointments were booked solid and there was a line of wait of around 6 people even with an appointment.

The pharmacist and nurse on-site providing shots were both on their phones looking bored when I got there. Just before getting my shot I asked if it had been busy today which the nurse replied "No, a lot of people are not showing".

Is vaccine demand starting to slow?

#22414 3 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

I suspect so. My appointment was early and they saw me a few minutes earlier. My wife's was later in the day. They called to confirm she was still coming and offered that she could come in as soon as she was able. Both times there was only one other person there getting the vaccine.

Wow, yeah it does seem like demand is dropping. It seems like once we hit 50% vaccinated here in the US that demand started dropping. I feel great knowing that I'm now fully vaccinated (well 14 days from my second shot), I'm sure millions of other vaccinated people do as well. I've been enjoying life over the past year with precautions but it's always been a bit nerve racking not knowing if you will get Covid or pass it on to a family member / friend.

Even though a vast majority of people recover from Covid many still have long term side affects including loss of taste, and fatigue. I love to golf and cook (+ eat!) so I would like to keep enjoying those two things to the max lol.

I still have multiple people in my family refusing to get the vaccine. Here's some of the comments I've heard from family.

"I don't get the flu shot so why would I get this"

"Hospitals are lying about how many people died of Covid"

"I think I had Covid last year and was fine"

"I don't trust the vaccine, it hasn't been out long enough"

"I know someone who got Covid twice so what's the point of the vaccine"

...yup

#22449 2 years ago

From what I read the risk of catching Covid after getting the vaccine is < 1%, could be as high as < 5% due to the vaccine efficacy rate from the original Pfizer / Moderna trials. The chances of dying from Covid after being vaccinated are way less at something like 0.0002%. There's likely more harm living in fear / isolation at home from Covid after being fully vaccinated versus going back to enjoying life (which for now includes wearing a mask in public).

#22460 2 years ago

I've noticed a few people on Facebook changing their profile pictures to having this ribbon around their picture that says "I don't care if you've been vaccinated". These are the same people that then proceed to post daily (sometimes multiple times per day) pet and or baby updates lol...

#22461 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I have spoken about my Sister-in-law here in other posts. We just got of the phone. It is worse than what I thought. She is not going to get the vaccine. She thinks the whole thing is a farce and starts talking about the flu this and the flu that. I am at a loss.

That's hard to discuss when someone has that viewpoint. I can understand if someone doesn't want the vaccine because of religious, or specific medical reasons. I've heard some people say "I don't want the vaccine as it hasn't been out long enough". Ok, cool. However, once the conspiracy stuff comes up from family I can't take it. The "its a hoax", "we don't know what's in the vaccine", "masks don't work", "Not many people have died of Covid, "This is the biggest lie ever", etc BS is too much.

Here's a new one from a family member I heard over the weekend. Another family member of mine is in the hospital (non Covid related and recovering) but no one can visit due to pandemic restrictions. The family member who can't visit said "This is all just a ploy to kill the elderly in the hospital"...

#22476 2 years ago

One of the latest news reports from India regarding the Covid outbreak occurring there. Heart breaking, hope things get better there asap.

#22546 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

The lunacy does not stop.
"Miami private school asks teachers not to get Covid-19 vaccine or they won't be allowed to return next year"
https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/27/us/miami-school-warns-against-covid-vaccine-trnd/index.html
"A Miami private school has asked its employees to wait to get the Covid-19 vaccine until the end of the school year, but still cautioned that if they do, they won't be allowed to return next year, the school told staff this month."
=======================================================================
So...get the vaccine if you want. But we will fire you if you do. My attitude is: Boss, I will never tell.

Only in the US! There's been so many crazy anti Covid, anti masks, and anti vaccine issues here but this one ranks near the top. The rest of the world has to be laughing at us.

#22583 2 years ago
Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

Also, I know that while someone coughing, sneezing, etc. is the main way this virus spreads, did they ever figure out if door handles and stuff like that is also a sure fire way of spreading?
I have not seen much news lately, the most I seen looked like being outdoors if around people is a lot safer?

The CDC recently said that that the chances of getting Covid from surfaces are 1 in 10,000. Very very low.

1 week later
#22750 2 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I'm very sorry about this Daditude.
When people claim COVID is fake, or has a 99.99% survival rate, these stories are the ones I think of.
People I know have lost loved ones. I've had some friends get it and recover, but I've also had ones get "long haul" COVID and they are just not the same any more (mental fog etc.)
I'm really glad we're approaching the end of this mess due to amazing vaccine technology, and furious that people's selfishness and ignorance allowed us to lose so many lives.

Well said. It's very frustrating dealing with family members and friends who either believe the pandemic is fake or is overblown. Just over the past two weeks I've heard these new comments from friends and family...

"A mask really does more harm then good if you read about it"

"The numbers are inflated, hospitals get paid to report Covid deaths when people are not dying from it"

"My spouse had Covid and is fine" (making generalizations that it affects everyone the same...)

#22768 2 years ago

It's great news but I bet we see thousands of non vaccinated people not wear them and if asked just claim they are vaccinated.

2 months later
#23527 2 years ago

Just had 3 people in my family get diagnosed with Covid-19. These are 3 people that have refused to get vaccinated and have downplayed / mocked the virus over the past year.

One of the people diagnosed works with the elderly. You would think that alone would persuade that person to get vaccinated but nope. This is the same person that said to me "If I don't get the flu vaccine why would I get this"...ugh.

#23557 2 years ago

So 4 Covid deniers in my family all have it now, some with worse symptoms then others. Each are now receiving an antibody shot. None took Covid seriously or wanted the vaccine but they are sure trusting the science now and getting the antibody shot!

#23650 2 years ago

Just had a family member test positive who has been fully vaccinated for 3 months with the Pfizer vaccine. As some studies have shown her symptoms have thankfully been less compared to if she didn't receive the vaccine at all. The worst part is the handicap family member she takes care of is now also positive with only receiving one vaccine and she's passed it onto a family member in her 80's who due to health conditions has only received one vaccine as well. This family member asked me to still come over and help out with some things while they are all positive...no way.

This all started because a few family members of mine refused to get the vaccine, think that the pandemic has been overblown, and have believed a number of conspiracy theories...

3 months later
#26842 2 years ago

There now appears to be 3 groups of people in regards to views towards the pandemic.

1. Those that don't believe in the pandemic (or at least that's it not that serious), that the case / death counts are inaccurate, that vaccines are fake and or not needed, prefer / refuse not to wear a mask.

2. Those that believe in the science, willingly got vaccinated, and now want to move on (or already have) with their lives without mask mandates (excluding hospitals and nursing centers)

3. Those that continue to be terrified of Covid even after being vaccinated, want to see everyone vaccinated regardless if you already had Covid, believe that mask mandates need to remain in effect regardless of vaccination status

Personally I'm seeing more people in group 2 as time goes on, just an observation.

3 weeks later
#27340 2 years ago

People have received multiple vaccines for other diseases over the years yet there were never studies for 10, 15, and 20 years down the road. If those studies had to exist then the vaccines would never be released.

There's basically 3 ingredients in the MRNA vaccines, the doctor in this video from Duke Health explains it well.

1. MRNA, protein derived from a surface molecule that helps Covid bind to our cells (active part of vaccine)
2. Delivery vehicle that allows MRNA to come into cells, lipid nanosphere, tiny ball of fat (normal fats) that brings MRNA into cell
3. Carrier molecule, Poly Ethylene Glycol (PEG), common chemical in food and cosmetics
4. Saline it's mixed with and potassium as a stabilizer

3 weeks later
#27954 2 years ago

Sounds like a ton of people are catching the Omicron variant right now regardless of vaccination status and even being boosted. Thankfully the vaccines still protect against severe illness even if you get a breakthrough case.

#27997 2 years ago

Omicron will or already has caused a huge explosion in cases. Breakthrough cases regardless of being fully vaccinated + boosted are going through the roof. My wife, mid 30's, is fully vaccinated + boosted and tested positive this week. She has a rather bad cough and had a bit of difficultly breathing last night. I'm still testing negative and feeling fine. If it wasn't for the vaccine preventing severe symptoms she would probably be in the hospital. I'm hearing similar stories from fully vaccinated friends and family. A friend of a friend in his early 30's and healthy refused to get the vaccine, he's in the hospital right now and begging for the monoclonal antibody shot. Just talked to a neighbor and one of his unvaccinated friends just died a couple days back. Stay safe!

#28006 2 years ago
Quoted from Friengineer:

Problem is every hospital network has a different treatment protocol. There are hospitals in my area that do not use monoclonal antibodies.

Yeah good point. The website below will help people find locations that have monoclonal antibody therapeutics, definitely not every hospital.

https://protect-public.hhs.gov/pages/therapeutics-distribution

#28033 2 years ago

It was a fun family Christmas as once again late into the night a debate about the pandemic started lol. One of my family members was very adamant that the following items are true. This is coming from someone who I would consider very informed on a number of topics, smart, and educated. Regularly I wouldn't waste my time debating this (especially on Christmas of all days...) but once he started telling my parents this stuff I had to say something, in a respectful way of course.

What I've learned from this family member is he ends up coming across as "Well I had Covid, I'm not vaccinated, everyone should be fine too if they get it". Well that's not the way science works and everyone is different. That would be like telling someone who also has cancer "Oh, I had cancer too and recovered, no big deal, you will be fine too"...

1. The vaccines have killed 10,000 people within 2 weeks of people receiving it.

This one was a curve ball as he was showing me a CDC article. He's reading the data that all of these individuals died from the vaccine which isn't true. There's nothing that stops people from still dying of other causes after receiving the vaccine...

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/safety/adverse-events.html

"FDA requires healthcare providers to report any death after COVID-19 vaccination to VAERS, even if it’s unclear whether the vaccine was the cause". "More than 485 million doses of COVID-19 vaccines were administered in the United States from December 14, 2020, through December 13, 2021. During this time, VAERS received 10,483 reports of death (0.0022%) among people who received a COVID-19 vaccine. CDC and FDA clinicians review reports of death to VAERS including death certificates, autopsy, and medical records."

What he failed to mention is this part in the article "Reports of adverse events to VAERS following vaccination, including deaths, do not necessarily mean that a vaccine caused a health problem."

2. Only 25% of CDC staff is vaccinated, Dr. Fauci himself said this, they don't want the vaccine he said...

This one started on social media, below is just one of the sources fact checking this. In May of 2021 Dr. Fauci did say in a Senate committee that he thinks around 60% of CDC was vaccinated, this was already higher then the 47% US vaccination rate. At the time vaccination by individuals wasn't being reported or required (that's obviously changing now for federal workers)

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2021/05/30/fact-check-fauci-didnt-say-cdc-fda-staff-refusing-covid-19-vaccine/7474372002/

3. US deaths are no higher over the past 2 years then in the past...

He was very adamant about this, as if no one has really died of Covid-19 and that the numbers being reported are false... He said "show me the CDC data that says deaths are up because of Covid". Ok here it is lol. This is just for 2020.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/products/databriefs/db427.htm

db427-fig4 (resized).pngdb427-fig4 (resized).png

#28182 2 years ago
Quoted from BrianJ1337:

Leaky vs. Perfect Vaccines has been a debate well before covid ever came along. Our childhood vaccines are what is considered "perfect vaccines", mRNA therapy is a leaky vaccine. - https://www.healthline.com/health-news/leaky-vaccines-can-produce-stronger-versions-of-viruses-072715
"These less-than-perfect vaccines create a “leaky” barrier against the virus. Vaccinated individuals may get sick but have less severe symptoms, but the virus survives long enough to transmit to others, which allows it to survive and spread throughout a population."
There's plenty of articles on leaky vs perfect vaccines before 2019 you can find.
In the beginning they were marketing these therapies as "perfect vaccines"
"You won't get hospitalized or die if you get it"
"you won't have to wear a mask"
"you can resume normal activities without worrying about infecting others"
Then it was "breakthrough infections are rare!"..

All I know is that everyone I personally know that has had a breakthrough case being fully vaccinated + boosted had mild symptoms and was able to recover at home. The two people I know that were not vaccinated are in their mid 30's and mid 40's...both ended up in the hospital. I'll take my chances with the vaccine.

#28220 2 years ago

Question for ya guys as I can't find 100% clear information online or the CDC website. As a result I'm asking the Pinside medical experts for some advice (lol).

My wife tested positive for Covid using an at home antigen test last Wednesday (the 22nd), she had symptom's as early as late Tuesday (21st). She's fully vaccinated and boosted yet still got it and had mild to strong symptoms during the first few days (the 24th and 25th were the worse). From the time of the positive antigen test on Wednesday to today it's been 9 days, 10 days tomorrow (1 day longer if we count from symptoms on Tuesday). She had positive result backed up by a PCR lab test last Thursday.

So here's my question. We were planning to see some family this Saturday and Sunday. At that point she will have been at or over the 10 day isolation period. The CDC recently changes the isolation period to 5 days if symptoms are resolving and no fever for 24 hours. My wife thinks she may have had a fever on Christmas eve but definitely not since then. However, she's still has a lingering regular cough and just today (the 30th) still tested positive using another at home antigen test. She's going to re-test on Saturday using another at home test. From what we read she can have a lingering cough and test positive for weeks but is no longer infectious after 10 days (even shorter based on below). So finally my question lol, should we be fine seeing family over the weekend even if she still tests positive past 10 days (having been fully vaccinated + boosted) with a lingering cough? Also, I'm fully vaccinated + boosted and while wearing a mask inside the house during all of this have and continued to test negative. I can't find an answer for this exact scenario.

Updated CDC isolation guidelines

"Given what we currently know about COVID-19 and the Omicron variant, CDC is shortening the recommended time for isolation for the public. People with COVID-19 should isolate for 5 days and if they are asymptomatic or their symptoms are resolving (without fever for 24 hours), follow that by 5 days of wearing a mask when around others to minimize the risk of infecting people they encounter. The change is motivated by science demonstrating that the majority of SARS-CoV-2 transmission occurs early in the course of illness, generally in the 1-2 days prior to onset of symptoms and the 2-3 days after."

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2021/s1227-isolation-quarantine-guidance.html

#28299 2 years ago

Is there a percentage out there of how many fully vaccinated + boosted individuals won't develop Covid-19 symptoms even if exposed? I can't find it anywhere, maybe there isn't one. Months ago breakthrough cases were rare (2% or less I remember reading), then they increased, and now they seem to have exploded. It's good the vaccines still protect against severe illness but at the same time it seems like almost every vaccinated + boosted individual can get Covid now?

#28416 2 years ago
Quoted from PinPatch:

Show me the long term studies on mRNA vaccines?
Something greater than three years.
Also how can one evaluate Pfizer when the placebo control group no longer exists?
And to clarify, for older people where covid death rates are near 5%, these mRNA vaccines stack up. For young people where the death rate is a fraction of a percent, risk reward is not there.
Also if you are an obese person it would also help.

Like a majority of people you have likely already received multiple vaccines over your lifetime for diseases / viruses that are far less deadly and serious then Covid-19. When the polio vaccine was invented did the world wait for the 5, 10, 20, etc year studies? No, the same goes for other vaccines as well including the chickenpox vaccine. If we had to wait for 10 and 20 years studies no one would get vaccinated, and more people would be affected.

Here in the US around 3,000 people died of polio during the worst of that epidemic. Covid-19 has killed over 800,000 in the US yet some people are throwing a fit over a vaccine for a virus that has killed far more people versus polio. Why is that? It's because this pandemic has sadly turned political and there's so much misinformation spreading online about it.

Also, there's basically 3 ingredients in the MRNA vaccines, the doctor in this video from Duke Health explains it well. I have 0 concerns getting the MRNA based vaccines, especially when they have less of an impact on the body / cells versus traditional vaccines.

1. MRNA, protein derived from a surface molecule that helps Covid bind to our cells (active part of vaccine)
2. Delivery vehicle that allows MRNA to come into cells, lipid nanosphere, tiny ball of fat (normal fats) that brings MRNA into cell
3. Carrier molecule, Poly Ethylene Glycol (PEG), common chemical in food and cosmetics
4. Saline it's mixed with and potassium as a stabilizer

#28495 2 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

Hospitals are now being overrun with Covid cases. My friends that are nurses and doctors are exhausted, 2 nurse friends left the profession in the past 3 months over burnout, they couldn't handle constantly arguing with people about masks and basic safety precautions.[quoted image]

Wow, yeah not good. It's crazy how people will even argue against facts such as hospitalization rates. Just the other day another family member told me "Hospitals are not full and its actually the vaccinated that are filling them up"...It hurts my head to debate against those viewpoints, I just can't anymore. Some people read a post on social media and automatically accept it as fact regardless of whether or not it's true.

#28511 2 years ago

Just some observations of my wife going through Covid (mid 30's and healthy) after being fully vaccinated + boosted.

1. Symptoms were mild to near severe, she had difficulty breathing one of the nights

2. It took 10 full days until she tested negative with an at home antigen test

3. Even a week after testing negative she still has a pretty rough cough that occurs regularly as well as fatigue

While my wife was sick with Covid I was at home the entire time and didn't catch it (took a few at home tests). I mostly isolated myself to my office and wore a KN95 mask when I walked around the used, my wife wore a mask when she walked around the house but not while sitting (too hard to breathe through it with Covid to have it on all the time). I'm very glad she's now negative but no way in hell was it like a normal cold she said, a normal cold also doesn't leave you with this type of cough a nearly 2 weeks later.

I still don't know how I didn't catch Covid from wife during those most contagious days, fully vaccinated + boosted here as well. Will everyone vaccinated + boosted catch Covid if they are exposed to enough of the virus and if so what is that percentage? I don't think there's an answer. Either way we are both thankful for the vaccine protecting against severe illness and hospitalization. If my wife hadn't been vaccinated she likely would have ended up in the hospital as a friend of ours recently did (similar age, healthy).

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PanzerFreak.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread?tu=PanzerFreak and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.