272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 Important warning Posted by Daditude (4 years ago)

Post #6 Coronavirus website with up-to-the-moment stats Posted by Daditude (4 years ago)

Post #172 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #193 Name of disease and of the virus Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #209 Explains why you need social distancing Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #239 Comment on seasonality Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #251 Avoid ibuprofen Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #370 Info on chloroquine Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #530 News from Italy Posted by Pedretti_Gaming (4 years ago)

Post #693 Important info and advice Posted by ForceFlow (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Neal_W.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#15083 3 years ago
Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

I am in no hurry to be around a crowd.
I would like to go fishing, but I have heard the lakes have been packed.

Start swinging that pole around, if others get too close. Fish on!

#15374 3 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

The safe and warm feeling of holding onto hope that a boogeyman created the virus in order to achieve a nefarious goal is much more comforting than the overwhelmingly most likely truth

Yup, Adam Ruins Everything has a great episode about Conspiracy Theories. I am a big fan of the show. (It's an educational/comedy television series that aims to debunk all sorts of misconceptions that pervade society.) Check out that episode. Probably available OnDemand or some streaming service.

#15454 3 years ago

In the last 24hrs, there have been a lot of posts about the "expected" vaccine by the end of the year. I posted this 8 days ago, but it bears reposting:

https://thetyee.ca/Analysis/2020/06/03/Vaccine-Will-Not-Erase-Pandemic/

When William Haseltine told a group of fellow scientists in 1986 that an AIDS vaccine would be unlikely because of the difficult nature of the virus, he was booed off the stage. His colleagues even threw stuff at him.

“But we still don’t have a vaccine for AIDS,” he recently told Reuters. “We don’t know for sure that a [COVID-19] vaccine won’t be developed, but I can say with the same conviction — don’t count on it.”

The retired Harvard medical professor and a cancer/HIV researcher, Haseltine has been around the block a few times as both as hardcore researcher and biotech entrepeneur. Over his career he worked on or developed drugs for HIV/AIDS, anthrax, and other ailments. The 76-year-old is also an expert on aging and dementia. And he started up Human Genome Sciences with Craig Venter in 1992.

Here, then, are eight cautions by William Haseltine that, while hard to hear, may save many lives if heeded.... (see article)

#15558 3 years ago

I would go if I could wear a space suit or Hazmat suit or SCUBA gear or one of those giant Zorb balls you roll around in.

#15581 3 years ago

"A Sad Day In American History: Delta and American Airlines Are Banning Alcohol On Planes..."

I typically fly a lot with work and air travel is THE WORST... Get up early, schlep through the airport lines, hurry up and wait at every step, and pray there are no crying kids kicking your seat again this trip. The one thing that makes it worse is touching down with a hangover, so I'm not going to miss the airplane booze.

I guess the heaviest drinkers can rely on the airport bar, but staying hydrated is a better choice in my experience. I'll party when the travel BS is done.

#15597 3 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

You can bring mini-bottle liquor in your carry-on luggage. I have relatives that do it every time they fly.

I had to read more about that. I found...

Yes you can "carry on" mini-bottles along with your tiny shampoo, toothpaste, mouthwash, etc.

However, FAA regs say - No person may drink any alcoholic beverage aboard an aircraft unless the certificate holder operating the aircraft has served that beverage to him.

I assume they want to stop folks from cracking open that big bottle of Jack they bought in duty free, so it's technically not allowed, but some laws are made to be broken.

1 week later
#15975 3 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

I am currently in the process of doing smoke-checks from every game on the floor. If the plume moves steadily toward the vents, we're good. If it gets stuck in a loop, auxiliary fans will be deployed to move it along. Everyone, everywhere, as safe as possible.

Well done! Don't forget the fan on Whirlwind.

I wonder if turning on the pins will affect the airflow due to heat rising from each?

#16057 3 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

601 cases and 20 deaths today in Dallas.
Save yourselves. Just let us go.

Stay safe. Play pinball.

#16170 3 years ago

Here is a similar heat map to the one posted above, only much better. The heat map is color coded by new cases over the last 7 days, so you can see current hot spots, and hover over any county to see a complete history plot not available in the other map.

This is helpful since most small county health department web pages don't plot the historical/trend data like this.

One glitch, it seems you have to select world map on the left, then US map again, and THEN you can zoom in/out with the mouse wheel. That allows you to zoom in and more easily find a specific county.

Click on the map link in the second paragraph to view the map.
https://ethics.harvard.edu/path-to-zero

The data for my county is weird and seeing the plot confirms when I have noted. We get a lot of visitors in Savannah/Tybee, but new cases have been <10/day since March, until mid June when we started averaging ~50day. The mayor had to make masks mandatory in public starting 2days ago. I guess all the tourism, hot weather, and apathy is to blame.

#16278 3 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

This is a great tool that shows you the current risk level all over the globe.

Same thing here, but includes the historical graph:

https://app.powerbi.com/view?r=eyJrIjoiMGE1YzFhZWUtMDBlNi00NDNhLWFmYjUtNGVmNjczMWY4Y2I1IiwidCI6ImMxMzZlZWMwLWZlOTItNDVlMC1iZWFlLTQ2OTg0OTczZTIzMiIsImMiOjF9

#16507 3 years ago

New York was able to get their rate of infection under control. Other states can do the same, but it's not easy.

When officials and the public take things serious, it gets easier.

2020-07-10_9-14-21 (resized).png2020-07-10_9-14-21 (resized).png

#16671 3 years ago

Local news is saying using a public restroom is very dangerous.

Looked a little deeper..

There are lots of things on surfaces in a rest room and a toilet flushing can make water droplets that make surfaces dirty. The devil is not hiding the bathroom.

Don't play with your phone and do wash your hands, which is the same since forever. (and of coarse social distance and wear a mask in public)

#16810 3 years ago

https://www.wired.com/story/the-latest-covid-party-story-gets-a-twist/

Article dated 7/14/20, summary - covid parties are unsubstantiated rumor without proper due diligence by reporters and editors.

#16961 3 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

We are not stopping this, we cannot stop this.

Totally stoppable. Just hope the southern states choose to sooner than later.

Untitled (resized).pngUntitled (resized).png

#16993 3 years ago
Quoted from Irishbastard:

crashes-car-after-passing-out-from-wearing-n95-mask/

Tabloid clickbait. Everyone that crashes their car comes up with some excuse.

Factory/construction/medical workers in all sorts of jobs have been using masks forever and fainting from it is not a thing.

#17004 3 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

A couple of Months ago the North and West was inundated with red. Before that Oregon and Washington. It is now running its course through the South.

You think NY got their numbers down by letting it run its coarse?? My friends and family that live in NY would strongly disagree.

#17064 3 years ago
Quoted from poppapin:

Racist why? Cause the sign had a dude with a man bun?

I did not notice it either at first glance. It says 'Chinese Coronavirus Plan' at the top.

#17101 3 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

These homemade rag masks do little. In theory they stop frontal blasts from sneezing and coughing.

Sneezing is not a symptom of Covid-19.

#17147 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I don't know how parents who need to work are going to handle this. Without school in session, you need a baby sitter and my understanding is that daycare and home baby sitters are hard to find.

All parents in the town are in the same boat. Maybe your neighbor is staying home with their kid for virtual school, so give them a few bucks to watch your kid too. Maybe your staying home with your kid, so take in your neighbors kid for virtual school, and let them supplement you.

Seems smart since just a few kids together and always the same kids, minimizes the viral risk.

#17148 3 years ago

Cheap retail space and locations selling off their pins (unfortunately) is the perfect formula for a private pinball club in every zip code.

A few local collectors, social distance, masks on, picnic table and BYOB out back, no coins needed. Lets start with 31328!

pinballbillhughes_t653 (resized).jpgpinballbillhughes_t653 (resized).jpg

#17210 3 years ago

I enjoy a good conspiracy theory.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/false-coffin-corner/

Summary - the "giant plastic coffins" are the output of a coffin vault factory. It is the most inexpensive and popular type of vault used, and folks have been telling various tales about the storage field since '07. (coffins are buried in cement or plastic vaults to keep the ground from sinking over time)

#17214 3 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

Why are all those lids flat again?

not lids, bottoms apparently

Premium_Metal_Caskets_20140224_100816_20140224_100819 (resized).jpgPremium_Metal_Caskets_20140224_100816_20140224_100819 (resized).jpg

#17224 3 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

Yup, cause they never find any new adverse side effects once a medication / vaccine is released into the public.
You line up ..... I'm going to give it a few months

If one becomes available, the vaccine will probably be prioritized to health care workers, high risk patients, military, essential workers, and those traveling to high risk areas first. If you work at a meat packing plant for example, getting the shot at work would probably be a condition of employment.

I can imagine it would be more than a few months before it is available for everyone at the corner CVS like a routine annual flu shot.

#17383 3 years ago
Quoted from RonSS:

if masks are going to save us, why haven't we been using them for influenza?

I guess it's our culture. It is common to see someone that is not feeling well using a mask to keep their coworkers and those around them from getting sick in Japan. It has been a common sight since I first spent a year there in '92. Maybe other cultures and countries will follow suit as they become a little more comfortable and educated about masks. (They are not worn because of pollution as suggested a page back.)

I have a friend who often says when coming down with a bug, "going out to get a few drinks to burn this thing out of me", since they are the personality type that NEVER wants to stay home. I would remind them that rest makes more sense, and typically the following day they are feeling worse and stuck in bed after ignoring my advice. Since my friend is actually a considerate person, they may start staying home when coming down with something after the lessons of 2020, and wanting to keep their friends and others healthy, and they may not be the only one.

#17462 3 years ago
Quoted from BadBrad97:

Have you seen China in the last 10 years? Everyone wears a mask all the time.

Have you visited China? Trust me, they don't.

3 weeks later
#18042 3 years ago

Public service announcement from Smudge the Cat.

lol (resized).jpglol (resized).jpg

1 week later
#18181 3 years ago
Quoted from noob-a-tron:

Why use the word Was? So your saying he had a change of heart

just quoting facts:

Bill and Melinda Gates contributed $519 million of cash and stock to their namesake foundation in 2019. The gift, among the biggest in global philanthropy last year, helped boost the endowment of the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation Trust to $49.8 billion as of Dec.

(Since its founding, the foundation has endowed and supported a broad range of social, health, and education developments including the establishment of the Gates Cambridge Scholarships at Cambridge University.)

1 month later
#18956 3 years ago

2020-10-02_9-01-03 (resized).jpg2020-10-02_9-01-03 (resized).jpg

Social Distancing Song

3 weeks later
#19665 3 years ago
Quoted from toddsolus:

I support a full lockdown for 2 weeks

Full lockdown does not apply to the following examples of essential workers I can think of off the top of my head:
power
water
sewer
trash
phone
cable
internet
news
government agencies
first responders
police and 911
hospital and medical
caregivers
pharmacies and pharmaceutical companies
gas stations, fuel supply chain, and refinery
grocery, food supply chain, and farms
armed forces
shipping

Probably lots of other obvious infrastructure workers I'm forgetting??? Bottom line, full lockdown isn't very comprehensive.

Test-isolate-trace is more sensible, and we will probably get there at some point.

#19666 3 years ago

nm

#19668 3 years ago

nm

2 months later
#21160 3 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

How many Georgians are going to get sick or die because they didn't trust the USPS to deliver a very important piece of mail?

Reported cases per 100,000 residents by county since last week.

That map is VERY misleading.

Many states are surging worse than Georgia. It just happens that GA has 159 individual counties. (number 2 with most counties after TX)

Use this to see which states are worse per population:
https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#cases_casesper100klast7days

spoiler - leaders are currently NJ, AZ, RI, AR, CA, TN with GA in 13th place.

#21169 3 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

compare rate of testing before you conclude those states are in worse shape

True, 13% testing positive in GA shows that testing is lacking.

https://globalepidemics.org/testing-targets/january-1-2021-state-testing-targets/

spoiler - ID, IA, PA, AL, KS, and SD have the worse positive test rate by far.

1 week later
#21255 3 years ago

I had to google that. You cold have wrote aspirin/ibuprofen. :p

2 weeks later
#21552 3 years ago

There is an explanation of the Waffle House index here:
https://abc11.com/waffle-house-storm-center-index-fema-hurricane-laura/4224478/

My experience during hurricane evacuation - I noted several large towed generators temporarily staged at an inland Waffle House. Clearly they were preparing for the worse and had a plan.

#21559 3 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

I know we've discussed Covid19 coming from a lab a few times and that it was thought to be more of a conspiracy theory.

I saw them on Real Time last week talking about covid19 coming from a lab, and was interested to hear it again. It seems they jump to a lot of conclusions without facts or expertise.

From his wiki page-
On January 29th, 2021 Weinstein appeared on Real Time with Bill Maher along with his wife Heather Heying, an evolutionary biologist, promoting the "Lab Leak" thesis around the origins of COVID-19. The segment drew immediate criticism for its fringe and unscientific thinking by the Daily Beast noting Weinstein is neither an epidemiologist nor a virologist. Weinstein claimed he was "90 percent" certain of the theory, but Kristian Andersen, an associate professor of immunology and microbiology at Scripps University has claimed “these two features of the virus, the mutations … of the spike protein and its distinct backbone, rules out laboratory manipulation as a potential origin for SARS-CoV-2."

I guess the point was to repeat conspiracy theory to generate interest in his 'DarkHorse Podcast'.

1 month later
#22073 3 years ago

My friend mentioned he just got his first shot at the local Walgreens last week since he is an essential worker and his office checked around for the shortest wait in our area. Besides the standard forms, he just checked off essential worker and was not questioned about it. (works at a law office that gets kids out of dangerous homes so his boss told everyone in the office to go do it)

GA just opened up to age 55 and older, so I checked online Monday and Walgreens had appointments 3 days out, so I got mine today. I told a younger friend, so they called around today and got an end of day shot from another Walgreens nearby.

Seems like the word is going around, and "if you already got it, I want it too" has everyone I know getting vaccinated.

1 week later
#22182 3 years ago
Quoted from Astill:

In Canada it has been incredibly mismanaged. Less then 2% of the population has both shots. My mom is 79 and isnt scheduled for her second shot until August.

That sucks! Maybe things will speed up before then with more manufacturing or less demand from countries that are finishing up.

3 weeks later
#22345 3 years ago

26hrs after my 2nd Pfizer shot and no side effects yet.

1 week later
#22473 2 years ago

The origin of the word quarantine is interesting.

It, began during the 14th century in an effort to protect coastal cities from plague epidemics. Ships arriving in Venice from infected ports were required to sit at anchor for 40 days before landing. This practice, called quarantine, was derived from the Italian words quaranta giorni which mean 40 days.

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/historyquarantine.html

2 weeks later
#22760 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

won't get the vaccine, but she sure took that $1400.00 stimulus check.

How about if the stimulus check was kept on hold until the recipient is vaccinated?

1 week later
#22931 2 years ago

I occasionally watch a streamer from Japan who visits the sights around Tokyo and chats etc.

They're not up to speed on vaccinations yet and Tokyo is currently under 'lockdown'. They can go out and about, but masks are mandatory in public, inside and out, and it looks like most follow the outdoor mask rule unless their eating or drinking. Also, Tokyo bars are closed and restaurants close at 8pm, and are not allowed to sell alcohol. Pretty sure liquor stores are open to get booze for home.

It seems like a good idea to keep customers from drinking so things stay under control with mask usage, but I can't imagine trying to make or follow a rule like that in other countries. I imagine my fellow Americans would loose their minds if you told them no booze at restaurants.

1 week later
#23054 2 years ago

While ago I took our vaccination cards and had copies made, and had the copies laminated.

Has anyone ever asked to see it? I keep mine with my passport in case it is needed for international travel.

I guess the photo on my phone would do if someone did ask. I emailed the image to my gmail as well, to have a extra backup in the cloud.

1 month later
#23944 2 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

They turned away 600 people without the paper work they needed.

Nice. Hopefully others will follow suit and get the unvaccinated off the bench.

1 week later
#24306 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

He: Sure I will! I'll take my institutional knowledge of my job and simply retire.

He should use that institutional knowledge to discover The Sun is a UK tabloid full of werewolf reports and Michael Jackson sightings.

#24602 2 years ago

3slo1t (resized).jpg3slo1t (resized).jpg

IMG_9960 (resized).JPGIMG_9960 (resized).JPG

2 months later
#26502 2 years ago

You guys aren't making the shingles shots sound fun. I can almost empathize with folks afraid of the covid-19 shots.

#26533 2 years ago
Quoted from BrianJ1337:

As of this morning, Florida now has America's lowest COVID rate! Gotta love our governor! No lockdowns or masks and we've got the lowest infection rate in the nation! Disney was packed last weekend and no masks barely anywhere.

But back in the summer, Florida had some of the worse numbers in the country and NY had good numbers.

Now that fall is here FL/GA numbers dropped and NY numbers are up. This appears to be totally seasonal/vacation related and the governors can't take credit for that.

3 weeks later
#27099 2 years ago

There are several articles about why VT and the northeast new case numbers are currently up. The summary is that the delta variant was slow to take hold there and they are currently in their delta surge which came later since there is a higher percentage of vaccinated population so it was slow to spread there.

FL and southeast cases are down currently because delta already went through over the summer in a giant surge then. Will have to wait and see how the holidays go.

https://globalepidemics.org/key-metrics-for-covid-suppression/

path to zero 2021-11-18 (resized).jpgpath to zero 2021-11-18 (resized).jpg

1 month later
#28340 2 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

Tokyo stats from yesterday:

# of people hospitalized with severe COVID: 1

# of COVID deaths: 0

Japan has really nice numbers and are STILL 100% masks required by law outdoors and public places. At the store, work, on the sidewalk, in the park, at the beach, EVERYONE has a mask on except to eat. (I watch streamers on twitch from Japan and am not exaggerating.)

When they have a surge, all bars are closed, and restaurants are not allowed to serve alcohol. Makes sense but most here would not comply with a public health law like that.

Have to wonder if they are just delaying the Omicron surge? No crystal ball to see who is right, but it will be fascinating to look back and see someday!

1/3/2022 data for Japan:
japan today (resized).jpgjapan today (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Neal_W.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread?tu=Neal_W and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.