272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 Important warning Posted by Daditude (4 years ago)

Post #6 Coronavirus website with up-to-the-moment stats Posted by Daditude (4 years ago)

Post #172 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #193 Name of disease and of the virus Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #209 Explains why you need social distancing Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #239 Comment on seasonality Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #251 Avoid ibuprofen Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #370 Info on chloroquine Posted by PantherCityPins (4 years ago)

Post #530 News from Italy Posted by Pedretti_Gaming (4 years ago)

Post #693 Important info and advice Posted by ForceFlow (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DCFAN.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#2100 4 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

DeSantis says New Yorkers are fleeing to Florida.

I was talking with a repair man on the western coast of florida today and he said people that own second properties in Florida are scrambling to have door/window repairs before they leave to get away from the virus. I guess that exodus from Florida could be dependent on whether people’s Florida property is a condo where many people are touching everything or a single family home.

1 week later
#5406 4 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Heads up--we received a message today from a member who went to buy two NIB pins in Albany, NY and the buyer said he was robbed at gunpoint by the seller. That's all the info we have at the moment.
Obviously, this was a shock to hear. As things get worse, people may be getting more desperate and/or bold. Be careful out there.

Was there a pinside account associated with this robber/seller?

#5431 4 years ago

Virginia has issued a stay at home order for the state.

#5454 4 years ago
Quoted from jamesmc:

The tall ship Pilgrim keeled Sat nite. Ocean Institute had scheduled maintenance but it was postponed. Students would come by busloads to visit the ship. A couple times a year tall ships come into our harbor and they have canon fights at sea. They advertise hands on work, and if your on a ship without alot of people its seriously hard work. There is another tall ship in the background. And my avocado trees are looking great.[quoted image]

Could it have been an insurance scam/fraud? Now that business is going to be shut off for many there may be a lot of sudden unexpected insurance claims.

#5564 4 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Our house has a weird layout cause it was built by a plumber. Power washing the circle driveway up top takes me 2 days, so I've been putting off this little porch for years. Didn't realize how having it nice and clean would make me so damn happy. This is my downstairs porch/smokers lounge.
Only took me about 90 min too.
Dad's happy!
[quoted image][quoted image]

Have you tried the cleaners that you spray on with a garden hose and leave it for a while? I have had good luck with those making the concrete white again with very little time or effort.

#6242 4 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

We're finally getting a 30 day statewide stay at home order effective Thursday at midnight.

I assume you mean Florida, but not sure since you don't have your location listed on your Pinside info.

#6266 4 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

Florida. Am I the only person that can see the city and state next to my avatar?
[quoted image]

Yes. We cannot see it but you obviously can. You must have it turned off to the public.

#6267 4 years ago

Here is where you fix it in the settings:

45 (resized).JPG45 (resized).JPG

#6289 4 years ago

The most depressing news of all to me is that approximately 80% of those that get put on the ventilator because of the virus are dying.
Only about 20% of ventilator patients are surviving.

#6294 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

The part of that I would fear is the medically induced coma laying there to die.
I would rather be able to move around and go outside, unless it was to the point of not being able to breath at all. Then I'd probably just lay down under an avocado tree and let nature take it's course.

At the point where they are ventilating patients, the patient is usually very loopy from the lack of oxygen because of fluid on the lungs and would not be capable of walking.

#6398 4 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

Are the masks helping, or is it the authoritarian restrictions? Or both?[quoted image]

Likely the smaller geography and singular government is a big part of the speed of controlling the virus for Japan, Singapore, S Korea, and Hong Kong.

#6741 4 years ago

This link seems to be a good source for daily infections and death rates and change from day to day:

https://virusncov.com/covid-statistics/usa

#6840 4 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Maryland 4/3 Covid Report.

I am now under the impression we will all be catching this bug, and sooner rather than later. I say the country opens back up for business for the 4th of July.

Assuming having the virus gives immunity (which experts believe is true), herd immunity would likely mean around 50% to 75% of the population would get it and then the virus would have a hard time finding new hosts/victims.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-what-is-herd-immunity-and-how-will-it-help-prevent-spread-of-covid-19-11956941

Hopefully it is true that a very large percentage of infected are asymptomatic or have very mild symptoms.

#6880 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Yesterday I ate an entire loaf of cinnamon raisin bread all by myself. No joke.[quoted image]

Is your stomach bloated like a basketball today? I just ate one piece of cinnamon raisin bread with peanut butter and a small apple sauce for lunch and I feel full. I find myself losing weight in this climate. I am down about 7 pounds from about three weeks ago, from 199 lbs to 192lbs. Part of it is doing more walking and part is just not having as much appetite.

#6994 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

So what are you guys doing to adapt your immediate world? I have long gotten over the stigma of wearing a face covering and gloves. I've noticed each time out, once or twice a week, more people joining the crowd. Not surprisingly the women have taken more to protecting themselves than men. I've seen couples shopping together with her covered and he is not. Several other examples like that as well. My guess is it's a macho thing which all of us guys can suffer from at times.
I've worked out a system with my elderly neighbor and I'll pick up groceries for her. She texts me her needs before I go, I leave them on her doorstep after I return and later she Venmo's me the money. No contact at all with exception of a smile through the window.
My cleaning lady called today because she badly needs the work. I told her no way that I wanted she and her friend coming into my house but that I would continue to pay her each week. She was grateful when I told her we are all in this together.
There's plenty of bragging in my post and I wouldn't have it any other way. And maybe it might spur some ideas or suggestions from you guys. I'm looking for other opportunities especially close to home.

We are doing the same for our cleaning person. My wife and I cleaned our house ourselves but the money we normally pay to our cleaner is still being paid. I figure as long as my wife and I have our jobs we can continue to support the people that have been good to us in normal times. I know that pay is not going to make up for all the jobs the cleaner has lost at other houses but at least it is a little and shows someone cares about how they are doing in tough times.
We told her it would be like a paid vacation and to just come to the door to get the money which we sanitized. She came on her normal Tuesday this week to pick up the money and brought us flowers believe it or not. My wife was in tears.

#7003 4 years ago

My wife was able to get tp today. I believe it was Wal-mart.

#7079 4 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

Really hopeful change for Canada here. Bad news for US/K[quoted image]

It seems like these should be charted based on the population size. The maximum death day will likely be much higher in the US than Italy because there are so many more people in the country (US has 6 times more population than Italy). Our chart will start to plateau as soon as the social distancing takes effect which is after the pre-social distancing infected people die or recover or at least get half way through that process.

Also, it does not help that the most populated countries such as China and India have fudged their numbers. The US does not really have any other country to compare to on the chart to do a direct comparison because of the population size and not having valid data for other comparable population sized countries. We are only left to extrapolate what we can from smaller countries with lesser medical systems and different aged populations.

#7113 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yeah tired of hearing about our awesome, accurate, sweeping testing and rock solid honesty in all things counting Covid in the U.S. in comparison to those sneaky little devils in other countries who are totally fudging the numbers.
I know - personally - at least 5 people who probably have/had it, and never got tested. There's probably tens of thousands of people like that.

I was talking about the charting of deaths. I don't believe those numbers are missing much unlike China which is incinerating bodies 24 hours a day and not reporting it.

It is obvious that the number of infected in the US and in the rest of the world is much higher than is being reported because those that are not tested or have not gotten results from tests are not being counted. I would guess there is already well over a million cases in the US.

ebf1d03660886f6fc8586534ec358261e91e01c5 (resized).jpgebf1d03660886f6fc8586534ec358261e91e01c5 (resized).jpg
#7117 4 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

I was talking about the charting of deaths. I don't believe those numbers are missing much unlike China which is incinerating bodies 24 hours a day and not reporting it.
It is obvious that the number of infected in the US and in the rest of the world is much higher than is being reported because those that are not tested or have not gotten results from tests are not being counted. I would guess there is already well over a million cases in the US.[quoted image]

This is what I meant by we are left with only extrapolation:
If you extrapolate from the deaths data from Spain and Italy and believe that the US measures to control the virus are equal to Spain and Italy (a poorly managed outbreak) then the US should have its worst day when about 5000 to 6000 deaths happen in a single day because the population of the US is roughly 6 times that of Italy.

Hopefully the worst days are not anywhere near those numbers but we lack good data to compare similar population sized countries.

#7188 4 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

[quoted image]

Why doesn't she know how to wear the mask properly?

mask (resized).JPGmask (resized).JPG
#7350 4 years ago

Even if you open up the economy suddenly you still are faced with the fact that the virus will be in everyone's minds. People are not going to fly, cruise, go to movies, restaurants, sporting events, concerts, vegas, etc. as long as they are worried about getting the virus. Proven therapeutics, a vaccine, or herd immunity is what it is going to take to have life as usual barring the virus just disappearing somehow.

#7352 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I don’t think most people get it.
30-60 days shut down to prop up the health care system with people and supplies and then it’s back to work.
That’s how it has to be from an economic standpoint. It’s just that simple
Some people will continue to die as a result and life will go on
Does anyone think a worldwide depression would be good for anyone? Parents, kids, grandkids?
Come on, use some common sense

You can't force a good economy in this situation:

Quoted from DCFAN:

Even if you open up the economy suddenly you still are faced with the fact that the virus will be in everyone's minds. People are not going to fly, cruise, go to movies, restaurants, sporting events, concerts, vegas, etc. as long as they are worried about getting the virus. Proven therapeutics, a vaccine, or herd immunity is what it is going to take to have life as usual barring the virus just disappearing somehow.

#7527 4 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

I can't believe people are still saying it's just affecting the elderly or those with underlying health issues. Yeah they are at higher risk but unfortunstely there are plenty of examples of younger and otherwise healthy people dying as well.

From what I have seen in terms of victims, some of the underlying conditions are diabetes, hypertension, asthma, mild obesity or worse, smoking, and drinking. How many of us fall into at least one of those categories? A lot I would guess.

#7827 4 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

I'd love to hear what lotions you folks are using. My hands are getting pretty rough.

My dermatologist recommended this about 30 years ago for contact dermatitis(sensitivity to soap, oils, dry skin , etc) and I have been using it ever since:
https://www.amazon.com/Eucerin-Original-Healing-Cream-Fragrance/dp/B001FB5IIC

#7938 4 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

are we allowed to cut-and-paste transcripts of daily coronavirus briefings of the POTUS here or is that considered politics? Because if I'm allowed to post transcripts, hoooooo boy

If you post facts without personal comments, then how could it be a violation?

#7978 4 years ago
Quoted from embryonjohn:

There’s now a new method being used In the ICU.
My wife reports they’re trying a new approach to the afflicted intubated patients. They’re now being flipped on their stomachs with their lower bodies pitched higher than their heads to help with drainage.

Hopefully the doctors/nurses are on to something, because a lot of the lung x-rays have shown lower lung problems from what I have seen in the news.

#8300 4 years ago
Quoted from herg:

Nice collection! I donated all but the best of mine and the ones we haven't worked a while back. It's a weird situation to both wish I had time to rework them, and be thankful that I don't.[quoted image]

"The Starry Night" is unopened I see. You have some work to do when you are not actually working.

#8301 4 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

1000 piece ones work best for our dining room table. Springbok and White Mountain puzzles have become our favorites. I donated about a dozen various ones last summer to our local senior center. They have a couple of tables with puzzles being continuously worked on. Kind of interesting to see someone sit and work on one for an hour, then leave. Someone else comes along and works on it for a few minutes, then leaves. This might go on for days.
My wife used to tease me for sitting for hours on end working on one. She no longer teases me.[quoted image][quoted image]

Those logo puzzles tend to be some of the easier ones because the colors are so distinct in each area. I myself prefer art scenes or photographs of scenery.

#8304 4 years ago
Quoted from herg:

Yeah, I got that one for Christmas. We usually work them during vacation in a beach house. We had a house rented in the Outer Banks this week, but I'm working from home instead.

Wow, you can't catch a break on those vacations. Isn't this the 2nd time in a couple years you had to miss out on a scheduled Outer Banks vacation?
I really feel bad for you having to change plans like that.
It is good to hear that you are still working.

#8343 4 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

On a positive note, MLB is looking to get clearance to start play only in Arizona in May. All teams will be quarantined from the public, no fans in the stands. Might work if they can assure no one has coronavirus when they enter the compound.

Can pro baseball players really live 4 months in confinement without women?

#8716 4 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Most countries have reported for today. 1.5 M confirmed cases [quoted image][quoted image]

Sad days this week indeed:

deat (resized).JPGdeat (resized).JPG
#9098 4 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Nursing homes are getting destroyed by this:
14 residents have died in a COVID-19 outbreak at a Greeley nursing home
15 surviving residents at Centennial Healthcare Center have also tested positive for the novel coronavirus.
https://www.9news.com/mobile/article/news/health/coronavirus/greeley-nursing-home-covid-19-outbreak/73-b2552996-e283-4e80-80c5-fcbf50d3314a
Seems like some sort of task force or protocol should’ve and still should be in place for nursing homes. Those poor people are sitting ducks.

39 deaths in one facility in Richmond:
https://www.richmond.com/news/virginia/update-absolutely-devastating-covid-death-toll-now-up-to-39-at-canterbury/article_66c56dff-ee78-5458-a5d9-99d1b857f6cb.html

#9117 4 years ago
Quoted from embryonjohn:

Even out of work sports commentators can work from home during the outbreak.

That is hilarious to this sports fan. Thanks for sharing.

#9300 4 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

Pets and coronavirus.
Here’s some of the information you’ll find to help the veterinary community and animal owners meet the challenges posed by COVID-19.
https://www.avma.org/resources-tools/animal-health-and-welfare/covid-19
I'm posting this link in regards to message I just received about a person in York Pa that has two cats that tested positive for coronavirus.

I have an indoor cat that is due for a rabies shot in about a week. I think I will hold off on taking her to get the shot. She is not going to get rabies in my house and I don't think it is worth it to possibly get her sick from the virus or to bring in virus contamination from her carrier to me, my car and house. I also don't believe anybody in the scientific community is 100% sure that my cat could not give the virus to us humans.

#9703 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Sobering story from Sports Illustrated.
I too am susceptible to the siren song of the light at the end of the tunnel. We may need to stash such optimism for a while:
https://www.si.com/mlb/2020/04/10/sports-arent-coming-back-soon

That is depressing. Unfortunately not much different from what I have been thinking though.
I would guess the PGA would be the first sport that could/should come back without fans. Social distancing would be easy with golf.

#10376 4 years ago

If religion is on the menu then politics should be as well.

#10859 4 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

Lets hypothetically say: May 1, everything is back open. 100%. Who amongst us is ending the stay at home guidelines and going back to life as usual?

That is why a lot of the protests in the last few days by small business people not being allowed to reopen is kind of pointless. They are worried about losing their business to bankruptcy but most are not going to do well if we snap our fingers and suddenly let them reopen them anyway. As long as the fear/worry is there, very few people are going to go buy windows and doors or flooring from a small business, go to restaurants, use travel agencies, use salons, barbers, physical therapists, dentists, chiropractors, taxis etc.

I personally have one family member that owns a high end salon and another that is a full-time stylist for a major salon chain, as well as a family friend that owns a high end salon. None of them are working and they all understand if they reopen it will not magically fix things or even make a difference to their present financial situation.

#10974 4 years ago
olden-days (resized).jpgolden-days (resized).jpg
#11025 4 years ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

I try to limit the amount of news i watch daily but did you guys see the scary as shit news out of South Korea yesterday? Apparently up to 200 people who have recovered from the coronavirus, have contracted it again. If true this is a total game changer. We're all going to be lockdowned for the rest of 2020 I fear.

The questions I would have are: Are these people that are testing positive again only testing positive or are they having symptoms again? Also, are they shedding virus again which would possibly infect others?

#11507 4 years ago
Quoted from darkpinball:

Interesting article and interview regarding the Swedish strategy and lock downs with professor Johan Giesecke, 35 minutes worth listening to.
True or false? I dont know but he doesnt seems too bothered by putting his reputation at risk.
Im not trying to downsize the seriousness of this new virus or the actions taken from different countries by posting this, but it gives another perspective if true, a fatality rate of 0.1% is still a lot of unnecessesary death cases.
Key post or Bash post?
https://unherd.com/thepost/coming-up-epidemiologist-prof-johan-giesecke-shares-lessons-from-sweden/

It is your country, your choices, your moral compass:
https://nypost.com/2020/04/16/sweden-grapples-with-high-death-toll-after-controversially-refusing-to-lockdown/

#11695 4 years ago

This is not a political sentiment but rather a realistic view of the virus situation. The shutdown should end when the president starts traveling to visit foreign leaders and staying at his resorts, the congress is back to full time at the capitol, and citizens can tour the white house. That is the barometer I will use for my safety.

#11701 4 years ago
Quoted from SadSack:

See photo comment.

Or it could be that a majority of people in certain areas aren't lazy cowards trying to hide under a rock while waiting for big Daddy Trump to pass out the Benjamins.

Rules for thee, but not for me! In truth, it's time for everyone to take personal responsibility for themselves and their own safety. But it's also time for those who would boss others around in fear to STFU![quoted image]

https://www.businessinsider.com/bill-gates-reveals-why-hes-giving-away-his-90-billion-fortune-2018-2

#11704 4 years ago
Quoted from SadSack:

Where did he get his micro-biology or medical degree from?[quoted image]

What are you rambling about? "Controls"? Please stop reading about and posting about conspiracy theories.

#11708 4 years ago
Quoted from SadSack:

Stop talking to me like your wife talks to you. Your arguments are made of weak-sauce.

In the video you posted, Bill Gates mentions reproductive health services and healthcare are how the population growth is controlled. Poor people often lack the ability to control when and how many children they have. See that is how your conspiracy theory is ignoring many of the parts of what Bill Gates said.

#11713 4 years ago
Quoted from SadSack:

The dude says he wants to bring CO2 to Zero and we can only do that through population reduction.
Well, first off, bringing CO2 to zero kills all of humanity. Second, vaccines don't prevent unwanted children. Third, you should try to overcome your programming.

Reproductive health services = birth control and pregnancy education/planning = lowering population

Do you not believe in birth control?

#11721 4 years ago

I'm so glad we aren't discussing politics on this thread.

And religion it seems.

#11735 4 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

Conspiracy theories are not against the rules here, but politics are. I just had to mod a lot of posts. Please keep it clean, folks.

Would it be possible to open a virus conspiracy theory thread and keep this thread for more factually backed/documented conversation? That way many of us could just avoid a certain kind of banter.

#11746 4 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I shouldn’t respond to troll posts. In the future I’ll post something positive and unrelated.
Right now I’m thinking back to this early February ski trip just before all of this blew up. How about more reminders of happy times that will come back again some day?[quoted image][quoted image]

Awesome breakfast spread.

I am not giving up hope that sometime this year we may be able to get back to doing the things we enjoyed out and about. I am just not going to force it if the time is not ready. HOPE!

#11972 4 years ago

I’ll be thinking “DAMN YOU BILL GATES!!!”

You forgot the

#12041 4 years ago

Oil closed at -$37 a barrel. Can the feds continue to bail out the stock market?

The third world is headed to famine I am afraid.

#12084 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

The break in this thread was great for me to clear my head, consider things, and research Covid-19.
I'm done with the extreme isolation I've been in and I find myself wanting to become infected. This is not an impulsive idea or a deathwish. I'm in excellent health and from what I've read, the great majority of infected people survive it and many with a range of tolerable symptoms.
With a vaccine a year or more away I'm not willing to live my life in guarded worry for that long. Allowing myself to become infected would give me the immunity I seek and I could then help people by donating blood, my energy, whatever.
So I began brainstorming on how to accomplish my goal of infection while keeping others safe. I don't mind experimenting on myself but how do I do it without harming others and this is what I've come up with.
I email my doctor and told him that I wish to voluntarily become infected via any clinical studies. I'm waiting to hear back from him. I also called my local hospital but they didn't have anything. Lastly, I Googled and found this: "Human challenge trials, where healthy volunteers would be exposed to Covid-19"
Link: https://www.vox.com/future-perfect/2020/4/9/21209593/coronavirus-vaccine-human-trials-explained
It's an interesting read and has a link to submit your email for consideration in the study, IF a study like this happens. I submitted my email but have taken no further actions to verify the websites legitimacy or anything else about it. I just found it this morning and I want to continue to searching the internet. Please do your homework if interested and let me know.
I will continue to wear a face mask and practice safety protocols but something's gotta give. Any feedback or ideas welcomed.

If you are young and healthy with no underlying conditions such as obesity, asthma, diabetes, or a smoker then go for it if it is something you feel is worth the risk for society. You would be doing humanity a great service if you can find a study to be a subject in. Good luck!

#12109 4 years ago

Yes I would say it is looking like we will be north of 60k deaths for sure by August. The deaths will taper off but still I’d be surprised if we are under 70k in August.

With averaging over 2000 deaths a day over the last week, the death count will most likely be over 60000 on May 1. The death taper does not appear to be happening yet. 70000 deaths by May 15 is a possibility if the taper does not happen quickly.

death (resized).JPGdeath (resized).JPG
death1 (resized).JPGdeath1 (resized).JPG

#12307 3 years ago

It could be a few more months before we will be able to buy Lysol again:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/household-cleaning-products-lysol-clorox-193305515.html

#12313 3 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Plenty of safety products out there.
Bleach is good one. Old empty spray bottles use a 50/50 bleach water solution. Spray wipe everything that comes in house. Use regularly on counters, door handles, mail, you name it.
I was worried when wife started this a month ago all our clothes and stuff would get fading white spots. But no household damage to report.
Shes just not allowed to get the shit near any of the pinballs.

Is bleach available in the stores? I was under the impression it was sold out as well.

#12440 3 years ago

Just got back from the local grocery store at their 6AM opening time. I scored Windex Disinfectant (essentially the same thing as the yellow Lysol).

#12500 3 years ago

We also have to accept that many businesses just are not going to do well as long as the risk to people's health is high.
Saying everything is open does not fix the problems with businesses that are centered around people being near one another.

#12565 3 years ago

It sounds like Remdesivir could end up being a bit of a nothing burger.

Fauci: "slightly lower mortality rate" in a trial that did not appear to have the approved 50% placebo comparison sounds like it is within the range of error and bias. Only a 3% lower mortality is not impressive to me. Does not change the way we live.

#12684 3 years ago

Everyone's new best friend:

wilson (1) (resized).jpgwilson (1) (resized).jpg
#12904 3 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I read a local article a few days ago that said most local restaurants are maybe doing 25% of their normal business if they're lucky. This 25% is enough to hang on for a few months but that's about it.

I suspect we will be seeing a lot of empty retail and restaurant space in 3 to 12 months.

#12905 3 years ago

My wife and I went to look at a new car a couple days ago. We decided to buy if the price was right. The dealer was literally doing the price lowering/negotiating for us. We got a much better price than we would have gotten in January and did not have to fight and stress for a better price. The dealers just need to move inventory at this point and hope to get some of the profits back in maintenance over the years.

#12908 3 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

I went to our local shopping centre today and so many shops were cleared out , not just closed . Even if everything got back to normal tomorrow , I think the damage is done for a lot of businesses .

Is Australia offering any kind of financial support for small businesses? The US has passed legislation but many small businesses have struggled to get accepted for the money and loans. Also, I doubt the money/loans is enough for most anyway.

#12936 3 years ago

I have not had take out or restaurant food since March 24 when I was at an airport coming back from a real estate transaction.
I have not really missed it much because my wife has been cooking every weekend 3 meals with enough for leftovers plus the once or twice a week I cook.

#12964 3 years ago

We are never going to know the true scope of what is happening in China and Russia. China silenced doctors early on and now Russia appears to be offing a few in dramatic ways to intimidate those that would like to speak out. Heck, even Florida is not fully releasing death numbers.
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/11538409/third-russian-doctor-falls-window-coronavirus/

#13253 3 years ago

I’ve read this entire thread. Literally not one post has suggested lockdown for an unlimited time. Not one. It’s odd you would say that and act like you had seen posts that suggest we should be in lockdown forever when they don’t exist. It’s not an issue of your comment not being directed at a specific poster, it’s an issue of your comment being outlandish and not based in reality.

I think it comes down to the fact that a lot of people are afraid that many of us are going to continue to shut ourselves in to be safe and there is nothing they can do about it. You can't force people to put themselves in harms way and go back to life as "normal". It is a personal choice.

#13411 3 years ago
Quoted from No_Skill:

What's the date on that photo? On the bottom the scroll shows Tua in the transfer portal. Didn't he just get drafted?

It is Tua's brother.

#13648 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

You hit the nail right on the head. This is 100% what it's about for most of the people who are still active in this thread.

I wish people would stop making the issue of trying to survive this virus a political issue.

#13651 3 years ago

My mom is in a senior community in an independent living apartment. They have managed the outbreak fairly well compared to other senior communities in Virginia and give daily updates as to resident and staff Covid cases. I have not seen my Mom for 2-1/2 months because of the self isolation policies. I certainly don't want to wait until after November to see her again, but honestly I don't think I will see her until at least next March. I am willing to do whatever it takes to keep safe myself and for my mom to be safe. The virus does not care about politics and nobody can force a good economy.

If I get the virus that will be my bad luck in spite of being careful, but I am not going to go out and be careless so someone else can benefit.

#13656 3 years ago
Quoted from poppapin:

The whole purpose of the lockdown in the beginning was to flatten the curve, correct? Well a lot of states have a downtrend and are allowed to open with restrictions. I don't think there is anything wrong with this. We cannot remain shutdown until there is a vaccine!! My .02

Who is saying to have a shutdown until a vaccine is available?
The only thing I have seen mentioned is stages of re-openings and measures to control the spread as things open back up. It would be asinine for everyone to just jump back out there without doing things to limit the spreading of the virus. You can have a re-opening in concert with sensible measures/rules for safety.

#13875 3 years ago

How can I be considered "locked down" when I just went to the liquor store in my car on my own schedule and own time?

#13983 3 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

things are really starting to pick up in Brazil: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/brazil/
We think USA has it bad, but Brazil and India are where I'm watching over the next 2 weeks.

Mexico also:

https://news.sky.com/story/mexico-city-underreporting-covid-19-deaths-sky-news-analysis-finds-11987235

#14012 3 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Hey all, if you don’t have your city and state in your profile, please consider adding it. I enjoy knowing where (roughly) people are posting from, and we promise not to stalk you. Right Pinside?

Yours is not in your publicly viewable profile.

profile (resized).JPGprofile (resized).JPG
#14203 3 years ago

Moderna's small scale vaccine trial shows promise. A much larger phase of trials to come in the summer:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/05/18/coronavirus-vaccine-first-results/

#14300 3 years ago

While we’re on the subject, I’m surprised no one has commented on the President saying he has been taking Hydroxychloroquine for almost two weeks as a preventative for COVID-19.
This is troubling on a few fronts.
First, we still don’t know if Hydroxychloroquine actually works to treat or prevent COVID-19 and the data we do have are mixed at best.
Secondly, the President is overweight and has known high cholesterol so he could be at higher risk for cardiac issues and thus Hydroxychloroquine could have risks for him.
Third, as a physician I am forced to wonder what the President’s doctor is thinking here. He is placing his patient on a medication with risks and without proven benefit. He also is putting the rest of the country’s physicians in a position to have to field more questions and demands from patients for “preventative” Hydroxychloroquine when that isn’t even an approved use of the medication.

I seriously doubt he is taking the drug. I don't have any reason to think otherwise.

#14302 3 years ago

My cat after getting Costco rotisserie chicken for the first time in months:

IMG_3156[1] (resized).JPGIMG_3156[1] (resized).JPG
#14311 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Annie Glenn, widow of astronaut and Senator John Glenn, has passed away at 100 due to complications from Covid 19. It's a sad ending but at the same time what an amazing life she had.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/05/19/annie-glenn-widow-astronaut-us-senator-john-glenn-dies-100/5219556002/

100 years, what a life!
When hearing about Annie Glenn I always think back to the movie "The Right Stuff" and the portrayal of Mrs. Glenn by actress Mary Jo Deschanel (mom of Zooey Deschanel).

#14317 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Up coming Covid-19 re-run movie of the week for me, thanks for the reminder. Last night it was Django Unchained.

I think I watched the movie about 10 times during my high school years when it was on HBO for the first time. When my American History teacher was saying John Glenn was the first American in space I had to correct him and say Alan Shepard was the first in space and Glenn was first to orbit the earth.
The movie was also instrumental in getting Chuck Yeager some deserved recognition and fame. Yeager is still alive at the age of 97.

#14541 3 years ago
Quoted from tiltmonster:

I'm confused, are saying to go outside? I thought we were supposed to stay home? Why were parks, golf courses and beaches closed if sunlight (UV rays) kills viruses and the wind help dissipate the spread of viral particles?
Are you saying that that UV rays are tied to warmer weather? I don't know if we are talking about the same thing here but temperature does not affect UV radiation.

UV radiation is higher in the summer.

#14933 3 years ago
Quoted from chad:

To walk around outside by yourself you have to wear a mask now??

Starting Friday in Virginia, if I understood the rule, people are required to wear a mask when inside public buildings.

#14943 3 years ago

Wisconsin having a surge in new cases two weeks after their supreme court abruptly re-opened things:
https://www.yahoo.com/news/wisconsin-reports-record-number-coronavirus-160959549.html

1 week later
#15167 3 years ago

I think the COVID hospitalizations (i.e. severe cases) is the number to watch as far as whether the virus and severity is trending down. It is a more cut and dry statistic with less room for interpretation or skewing. The numbers do not appear to be trending down:

https://gis.cdc.gov/grasp/COVIDNet/COVID19_3.html

covidhospital (resized).JPGcovidhospital (resized).JPG

1 week later
#15593 3 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

"A Sad Day In American History: Delta and American Airlines Are Banning Alcohol On Planes..."
I typically fly a lot with work and air travel is THE WORST... Get up early, schlep through the airport lines, hurry up and wait at every step, and pray there are no crying kids kicking your seat again this trip. The one thing that makes it worse is touching down with a hangover, so I'm not going to miss the airplane booze.
I guess the heaviest drinkers can rely on the airport bar, but staying hydrated is a better choice in my experience. I'll party when the travel BS is done.

You can bring mini-bottle liquor in your carry-on luggage. I have relatives that do it every time they fly.

#15718 3 years ago

It could be that the masks are reducing the viral load that is being transmitted and infecting the victims and that could be the reason for deaths and hospitalizations to trend down.
They say that when a child gets a generic virus, if a second child lives in the household and gets the virus from their sibling then that second child usually gets the virus worse because they are often exposed to more viral load because they live with the person that infected them.

#15881 3 years ago

Stress and ignorance are really bringing out the crazies.

#15912 3 years ago
Quoted from chad:

Hopefully no one is having major exertion while wearing mask.

This guy in the video you posted is overthinking the testing of oxygen intake and has left a lot of room for error in his results. I am sure his oxygen tester is helpful in a manhole though.
Here is a more scientific way to test oxygen intake:

1 week later
#16358 3 years ago

The president of Brazil has tested positive.

#16484 3 years ago
Quoted from herg:

Let's say schools don't open. Dipshit's little problems now need to go to daycare so that dipshit can go to work and get the economy rolling again, or maybe just buy some groceries. All the daycare was already full pre-virus, cost $1000 a month, and now they have to deal with the virus as well. I don't think that will make availability better or less expensive.
I'm grateful that my wife is able to care for my son while I'm working. Many of my neighbors are scrambling to find "tutors" or at least sitters to supervise their children during "distance" learning this fall. It's certainly a seller's market.
In our county, we have until July 15 to decide between two school options. Once we decide, we're locked in for the first semester.
1. Two days of in-person learning with like 11 spread out students per classroom. Two days of unsupervised distance learning. One day of what I think amounts to the schools scrambling to figure out what they need to change on the fly.
2. Four days of distance learning, with about 70% of it "supervised". Of course, that just means a teacher is on the other end of the internet link. You still have to have an adult in the house. Oh, and that one day of scrambling as well.
The county is providing a Chromebook for every student. My wife is buying a desk and likely resigning from her part-time job. I'm blessed to be in a position to do this. The majority of people won't be, I venture.

It is a tough choice to make and situation to be in I am sure. Just my two worthless cents as a friend, I would probably choose the four days a week at home learning and resign myself to helping with the math, science, and English material to make sure he stays on top of those subjects. The other subjects usually are not very critical before high school. Having parents like you and your wife, much like my parents, are like winning the lottery for a child’s learning assistance and environment. Thank goodness I had my dad when I was slacking pre-college.
On the other hand, if it were high school age I would probably choose the two days option and be much more concerned about making sure of college preparation. With the four days at home for an elementary aged kid I would try to coordinate with one or two other like minded families that have a kid of a similar age to have a same age social life for the children to keep things mentally healthy.
Take care and be safe. Hopefully a vaccine is around the turn of the year and our pinball gang can hang out again soon after that.

#16752 3 years ago

I just got back last night from driving all day from Florida to Virginia. What really struck me was how noticeable the differences were in mask wearing (or not wearing) at the rest stops along I-95 and I-75. In Florida and South Carolina I would guesstimate that around 50 to 60% were wearing masks inside the rest areas and bathrooms. Georgia was probably minimally higher, maybe 60-65%. Then in North Carolina and Virginia it appeared to be dramatically higher, probably close to 80%.

When in Florida, the scary thing is seeing so many affluent old people (over 75) that do not wear masks in places like lobbies and elevators.
Florida appears to be heading towards a whole lot more suffering if things don't change quickly. It is not the beaches, it is inside the buildings that is the real problem.

1 week later
#17039 3 years ago

It is going to be a very stressful school year. Death waivers are not a very reassuring way to start off.

#17142 3 years ago
Quoted from herg:

Now, one week after parents submitted their decisions, the schools have decided to eliminate the in-person option and go 100% virtual. While I think it helps overall, it really sucks for working parents who have been trying to make plans.
https://wtop.com/loudoun-county/2020/07/loudoun-county-public-schools-start-update/

I just found this data on Fairfax county. It is pretty close to 50%-50% (online full-time vs 2 days at school) if you disregard the "did not respond" students, but it results in about 60% attending in school class two days a week.

I would assume they will have half of the 60% at school on different days from the other half of the 60% to allow for social distancing.

https://www.fcps.edu/index.php/enroll2020

Responses to Enrollment Form
Students
As of July 15 at 11:59 p.m., responses for 189,000 students:

In-person two days a week: 112,712 (60%) (includes 31,289 who did not respond and by default were given the in-person option).
Online: 76,288 (40%)

#17242 3 years ago
Quoted from poppapin:

That 1st pitch wore him out!! Looks like he never threw a ball in his life.

He is close to 80 years old. Most 80 year-olds I know are having their driver's licenses taken away or failing the DMV eyesight test. None of them can throw a baseball accurately from 60 feet.

#17276 3 years ago
Quoted from smalltownguy2:

3 minutes. Worth watching.

I have been doing that for 13 years in my job. It is becoming the new normal in life and not just because of the virus.

Most high school kids will have a buddy system. Many of the ones that don’t will suffer, but a lot of the loner types will like not being forced into the clique world of in-person school. There is no perfect one-way-fits-all system of learning, working, or even socializing.

#17286 3 years ago

The Miami Marlins baseball team is having a major outbreak and has canceled the next game. They said on ESPN that 40% of the team has the virus.
I don't see how baseball is going to be able to continue if even one more team has a similar outbreak.

Forget about college football and other sports that are not playing in a bubble environment in the US.

#17410 3 years ago
Quoted from chad:

Just curious if any of you have had your phone impregnated with the covid 19 "Tracer app" ?? I like how they sneak this in without any consent. I noticed mine about three weeks ago. Have you enabled it and have you been contacted by anyone regarding you alledgedly being in close range of someone who i"s infected"

Do you mean this?:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/daveywinder/2020/06/20/have-apple-and-google-suddenly-uploaded-a-covid-19-tracking-app-to-your-phone-android-iphone-exposure-notification-contact-tracing/#25a7da7c6054

#17447 3 years ago

This morning she had a headache and then out of the blue she feels queasy and vomits for no aparent reason.

She is not pregnant is she?

#17491 3 years ago

Herman Cain has died.

1 week later
#17736 3 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

[quoted image]

Fill in the blanks for that image:

“I see_______.”

#17782 3 years ago

How would we be able to figure it out when you still do not have your location set to public?

#17885 3 years ago
Quoted from noob-a-tron:

I love this guy i wish he was still around

"we are going away"

3 weeks later
#18394 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

People dying to see Smashmouth may be one of the bigger tragedies of this entire pandemic.

I guess they were under the illusion that all that glitters is gold.

#18655 3 years ago

"I Am Legend" Karen coronavirus zombie Turn more lights on and maybe she will go away.

1 week later
#18924 3 years ago

I hate to say it, but I sense we may have a big surge of cases around the end of November and throughout December. A lot of the colleges let out and end their semester before Thanksgiving and then because of the holidays family members will get together. With Christmas in late December the surge could extend through January.

#18929 3 years ago
Quoted from BobSacamano:

My sister is a nurse on a floor with COVID patients. I hope 9 months was enough time to ramp up production on N95 masks!?
I can't order them online, but I did get some Korean K95 ones. Hope they aren't counterfeit...
I have tried to purchase Lysol wipes unsuccessfully for the past 9 months. Anyone have any luck? Are people using them as toilet paper?!

We are using lysol spray with paper towels. Windex also makes a yellow spray that is equivalent to lysol. Lysol wipes seem more ideal for travel but the spray is better for home in my opinion. The supplies of N95 masks appear to be growing. I was just given a few last night but they have vents so I will wear a surgical mask over them to protect others.

#18992 3 years ago

I had to go through an elective surgery today for triple hernia repair. They made me take a covid test Monday at the hospital which came back negative as expected. Hopefully I did not end up getting the virus from the surgery. They said it is safer than going to the grocery store but I doubt that considering I had a tube stuck down my throat.

#19018 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

Three senators if Ron Johnson was at the event.
Not sure on that one yet.

This article says Johnson was not at the rose garden ceremony, so he could have been infected through a different senate gathering possibly. I suspect there will be a few more positives from these spreading events.
https://www.chicagotribune.com/coronavirus/ct-nw-ron-johnson-covid-19-20201003-d552vnh6nzajfjcqsd545nqfom-story.html

#19053 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Add Chris Christie into the mix.
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/chris-christie-positive-coronavirus
"Chris Christie tests positive for coronavirus"

Chris Christie is in the hospital now and has a history of asthma and is morbidly obese.

#19117 3 years ago

And now Kayleigh McEnany has tested positive. The hits just keep on coming.

Plus some of her deputies.

Also, I don’t think we have heard a peep from Chris Christie since he checked into the hospital.

#19173 3 years ago

Creepy Stephen Miller has tested positive. I believe his wife is around 5 months pregnant. The super spreading event at the big house is continuing.

#19241 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

Another interesting datapoint in the suspect Rose Garden Super Spreader event...there is apparently a small outbreak developing at the small private high school that two of Judge Barrett’s kids attend.
Supposedly Barrett has covid earlier this summer, but nothing that I have seen mentioned her kiddos having it back then. As a parent, anything my kids get I get. In the reverse, it takes a crazy amount of effort to prevent them from getting what I get.
Kids were definitely at the Rose Garden confab. Kids were definitely maskless.
If only we had a professional contact tracing team looking into this instead of interwebs sleuths, we could maybe chicken or egg this situation.

Senator Thom Tillis face to face with Coney Barrett’s son:
70072F45-32D2-4613-B30A-C682D8B364C6 (resized).jpeg70072F45-32D2-4613-B30A-C682D8B364C6 (resized).jpeg

1 week later
#19568 3 years ago

The good news: COVID death rates are dropping across all age groups.
The bad news: The researchers think it’s a combination of improved treatments, masking, social distancing reducing initial viral load and younger age patients in general due to older folks staying home.
So, no change in policy on the horizon based on this study.
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/10/20/925441975/studies-point-to-big-drop-in-covid-19-death-rates

I wish it was because the virus was mutating and becoming less dangerous, but we have not really had any evidence of that it seems.

1 week later
#19872 3 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Believe in Conspiracy theories?
Heres one that hits home....family has been busy with it all day,
https://www.postbulletin.com/rochester-magazine/6735231-John-Titor-Who-was-the-time-traveler-that-visited-Rochester

It is behind a registration wall. What does it generally say?

Also, Shouldn’t a time traveller already know the results of the election? His twitter seems to indicate he is a nutjob.

#20021 3 years ago
Quoted from smalltownguy2:

Americans (myself included) do not like to be told what to do. That's evident. It's pretty much why our country was founded in the first place. One of our states literally has the slogan, "Live free or die." Seriously.
The ONLY path to ending this in the USA is herd immunity. That's it. I'm not holding my breath for an effective vaccine.
Get it, and get past it or die. That's it. Reality sucks sometimes.

You can’t achieve herd immunity when the immunity from getting the virus does not last more than just months for most people it seems.

#20139 3 years ago

My question is how can a fluid that is -103 degrees F be injected in a human without causing tissue damage at the sight of the injection from it being so cold?

#20141 3 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Those are just the conditions at which the vaccine is shelf stable. The main problem is that the distribution chain for vaccines isn't equipped to deal with keeping materials that cold.
Think of it like storing or cooking a frozen hamburger. When it's frozen, you can store it for quite a long time, but in this case, only fridges are available and raw meat won't keep in the fridge for nearly as long before it spoils.
But while the burger is frozen, it can't be eaten, so it needs to be thawed and cooked, but will go bad after sitting out on the counter for a while.

I guess I am reading it too literal because it said right up to the time of injection. As a person that reads and deciphers technical language all day for a living I would not word it that way.

#20221 3 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Came across this stream, and I gotta say it frustrated me. Numbers are at an all time high, but here's the "Super spreader" pin tourney. Several people not wearing masks, and the hosts of the stream making fun of mask wearing.
Come on pinheads, we can do better.
[quoted image]

Oh. That place is right down the road from my house, but I did not know it existed and had pinball. I would not go anyway because of the virus but maybe if a vaccine is successful and the place survives I would consider visiting then.

https://www.twitch.tv/akmpinball

https://msbrewing.com/

#20258 3 years ago

To be dying of COVID and in denial about it, very sad and hard to comprehend the ignorance out there:

https://news.yahoo.com/south-dakota-er-nurse-recalls-151800579.html

1 month later
#20984 3 years ago

Isn’t he just an Australian comedian? Or am I thinking of the wrong guy?

I looked it up also, and he appears to be a controversial comedian that has been banned from Netflix for a twisted gas chamber joke. Does not sound like the type of person to get news, facts, or history from for sure.

#20999 3 years ago

I can only imagine India’s true death total.

#21021 3 years ago

41 year old congressman elect from Louisiana Luke Letlow has died from covid.

#21064 3 years ago

The deaths and severe covid illness really seem to be hitting the political world recently:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/01/politics/virginia-state-senator-dies-covid-19/index.html

1 week later
#21198 3 years ago

The US is near 3% of the population vaccinated. I suspect some doses administered are delayed in getting reported.
This site does a pretty good job of tracking vaccine and doses administered:
https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/covid-vaccine-tracker-global-distribution/

#21225 3 years ago

My mom (83) got the Pfizer vaccine at her senior community today. She is feeling fine so far.
My father in-law (88 and diabetic) is getting the Moderna vaccine at the county government office on Saturday.

#21231 3 years ago

Second vaccine done today! Is this the one with the tracking chip in it or was it the first one?

It is sad I feel the need to say it, but you may want to add because we know some believe stuff like that.

1 week later
#21391 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

How about no one who is 70, 80 or 85 or 90 years old dies unexpectedly?
The late Joan Rivers made mention of this in one of her shows when she said, (paraphrasing) "I could drop dead right here, right now."
goin' out in style with recorded music

Feast your eyes. (you may have to sign in )

Did Zoltan die from lip synching?

1 week later
#21603 3 years ago
Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

All the Waffle House talk was fun, and my girlfriend was going to make us breakfast for dinner several days ago.
That never happened. She got bad sick all of a sudden.
She tested positive a week ago.
She is in the hospital now, double pneumonia.
(and she has been so careful the whole time I poked fun at her at times, while actually being pretty careful myself).
I am very sad, she is so damn cool, and when we talk she is still saying I hope you are not mad at me, in case I got you sick.
I wish all of us the best, this shit is nowhere close to being over yet.

Best wishes to you and your girlfriend.

I can't believe the chronic thumbs down abuser gave you a thumbs down on that post about a very personal and possibly tragic situation, probably for the fairly benign word "damn".

#21607 3 years ago
Quoted from herg:

Unfortunately, you are correct. My wife tested positive yesterday. I have been working in the lab quite often lately, masked up the entire time. I still thought that was the most likely place it came from. My rapid test today was negative, and the regular PCR test will take 2 days to get results.

Sorry to hear that. That sucks. Best wishes. I hope it will be very mild and not spread between you all.

2 weeks later
#21794 3 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

I wonder what the guarantee? Limited to what you paid for the vaccine dose or?

You pay nothing for the vaccine.
I also don't think the vaccine makers are guaranteeing anything either. J&J merely said something like the trial participants did not have a single case where they were hospitalized or have severe disease.

#21855 3 years ago

I saw a news story last night. They were covering a pharmacy in a predominantly black neighborhood where they had both Moderna and J&J (one dose) vaccines from which the public could choose either. It is a very small sample but was interesting to see that about 2/3 selected the one dose J&J vaccine mostly because it was easier to be finished with the vaccination process. The J&J vaccine availability really could be a game changer.

#21878 3 years ago
Quoted from sven:

In The Netherlands new cases were going up again a little lately, but the positive news is that elderly have died less than average this month, instead of (sometimes way) more than average. I think that's a first in a year, and though it's not 100% sure, it seems that vaccinating the elderly has helped quite a lot: that's hopefull! Let's hope vaccination production will be higher than expected, so that soon most groups can be vaccinated (if they're willing to, but I think most people will get a vaccine as soon as they can).

The vaccines appear to be working for the elderly:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2021/02/26/covid-cases-nursing-homes-plummet-89-residents-vaccinate/6814027002/

#21914 3 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

You're seeing a paywall on that article? It didn't display one for me.

Yes, there is a sign-up or pay wall.

1 week later
#22029 3 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

I don't mean to ruffle any feathers, but i am debating getting the vaccine. For those that don't know, here is my story:
I am very conflicted on the pandemic. I have known numerous people that have had it. My 88 year-old great uncle had it and didnt even know (zero symptoms)...and a close personal friend that got it and died quickly (he was 26, in fantastic shape, and we often played disc golf). Dont be fooled...this virus is different for everyone.
I have also personally had coronavirus. It was insanely mild. I only had symptoms for about 2 days. Extremely mild symptoms. I am also in good shape (5'11 and 170 lbs, i am 40 years old), so i think that helps.
I am a front line worker, and i can get the vaccine at anytime, but i would have to wait the 90 days (since i have had it within about a month) to get vaccinated.
On one hand...i dont ever get sick. I never take a flu shot. I have already had it and it was mild. I dont feel there has been enough testing on the vaccination, and i am concerned about the longer term effects.
On the other hand...i am a front line worker with a family. I have a wife and 3 kids. I don't want any of them to get it. I know it can effect people differently. Moving forward...it is a possibilty my antigens wear off and i could get it in 6 months or so.
I am not sure if i should get it or not. I guess i need to call my buddy Pinball_Gizzard

People have been receiving the mRNA vaccines from Moderna and Pfizer for almost a year now (counting the trial recipients) and there have not been any major side effects that I know about. Also, if you look to the most educated areas of the country, the vaccine is scarce because the demand and confidence in the safety is so high in those areas. To me the potential reward is much much greater than the risk and it is not even close.

#22030 3 years ago

More potential good news about the vaccines and COVID long haulers:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/long-covid-patients-feel-much-120958687.html

#22052 3 years ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

I don’t understand why we have not utilized the national guard to immunize large crowds.
We utilized them to handle civil unrest all last year. We can’t use them to save people?
This is an example of tripping over something bigger to me. But I digress...

There is not enough vaccine available yet to need the National Guard to administer it. In my area there is a waiting list of over 100,000 people that have registered for vaccine but are waiting for the vaccine supply to catch up with the demand. That is just phase 1B. They can not open up the registration in our area to the general population until there is enough supply. Then there will probably be millions on the registration wait list.

#22118 3 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

Got my first shot at Publix this morning. I had registered with the county just last week to call me when a vaccination appt was available. The county called while I was heading to the Publix appt. Hopefully that's a sign supply is getting better. I was not asked for ID.

Supply is definitely rising quickly. My county (Fairfax) has been zooming through the vaccinations, about 30 days of pre-registered people in Phase 1B in about 7 days. The county said they will be done with Phase 1B vaccinations by April 15 but the way they are moving it is possible they could finish Phase 1B about a week before that.

#22126 3 years ago

Pfizer has a pill in trial that could treat Covid-19 at the early signs of disease. Hopefully this one is a success:

https://www.barrons.com/articles/pfizer-will-test-a-pill-to-kill-the-covid-19-virus-51616517725?siteid=yhoof2

#22127 3 years ago

Covid vaccines appear to be working successfully in health care workers in Israel and the US:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/covid-19-vaccines-appear-cause-211200352.html

1 week later
#22239 3 years ago

I received my first dose of Pfizer this morning. No symptoms except I feel a little sleepy tonight, but I did get up earlier this morning than I usually do. So far no noticeable arm soreness but I kind of expect the soreness to be on the day after.
When the shot was given I did not feel anything other than a sensation like if someone is lightly pushing their pinky into the skin.

#22254 3 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

Is this really going to be a thing?[quoted image]

In parts of Europe I hear access to some places is restricted to those that are vaccinated. My wife has a friend in Holland that was not going to get the vaccine but changed her mind and got vaccinated after seeing restrictions.

1 week later
#22334 3 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Today is my “fully vaccinated” day. And these numbers make me feel great about the vaccine.
When I read that article, I was struck by what good news it was. The thing I didn’t like was the percentage they listed (7%) for requiring hospitalization. That sounded large at first, until I realized it was a percentage of a very small number. Out of 77,000,000 people, 5800 caught Covid, and 396 required hospitalization for Covid. So 0.008% caught Covid. And 0.0006% of fully vaccinated people required hospitalization for Covid.
Those numbers are stunningly small. Especially not knowing the rest of the data like lifestyle, and in this case, I would want to know other conditions they had. But even without that, wow. 77 million people, 396 hospitalizations for Covid. That’s amazing.

Bingo. Exactly what I would have said but probably less eloquently.

To add on, as more and more people become less likely to get the virus because of vaccination or strong anti-bodies from having had the disease, the chances of a vaccinated person coming into contact with and getting the virus also lessens significantly.

#22379 3 years ago

Many universities are requiring a COVID vaccine to attend this coming fall semester:

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/know-colleges-requiring-covid-19-155000016.html

#22384 3 years ago

The comparison/contrast between Israel and India is very striking. India has only about one percent vaccinated and they are getting slammed at incredible/record levels of virus right now. On the other end of the spectrum nearly all Israeli adults have been vaccinated and their rate of virus is about at the lowest since the beginning of the pandemic.

#22417 3 years ago

Natural selection is a wicked thing. Overly densely crowding in parts of the world is not sustainable. How would you like to be smelling mass cremations in your neighborhood 24 hours a day?

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/india-sets-world-record-new-covid-cases-314k-n1264895

https://news.yahoo.com/mass-cremations-begin-indias-capital-013346460.html

210423034806-07-india-covid-modi-government-intl-hnk-dst-exlarge-169 (resized).jpg210423034806-07-india-covid-modi-government-intl-hnk-dst-exlarge-169 (resized).jpg
#22420 3 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

The US is at starting to stall with people scheduling their first shot. People that have not gotten the vaccine have to be convinced that its both safe and for the greater good. If not, hopefully people that have recovered from getting COVID along with the 200 Million vaccinated then children will push us into heard immunity.

I don't really understand what is going on with the appointment scheduling systems. Now that they have made it through the Phase I registrations, my county (Fairfax) seems to have yanked their registration system and is leaving it up to people to use a link they provide to hunt through for where a shot appointment is available. I already have a 2nd dose scheduled for Monday, but did a little searching through the link they are providing as a replacement for their scheduling system. It takes you to various pharmacies and grocery stores that appear to be dead ends of no availability. It really needs to be easier than that to schedule.

The county even seems to have stopped updating their covid vaccine dashboard after getting through Phase I.

https://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/health/novel-coronavirus/vaccine/data

#22456 2 years ago
Quoted from Trogdor:

While I empathize with your situation, I fear the group think has disabled your ability to empathize. Are you really thinking about the benefit of others or your girlfriend which is basically you? Being high risk and with a science background, I couldn’t recommend to my adult children to run out and get vaccinated. There is an FDA approval process in the US that has been refined over decades- we circumvented it. I got vaccinated, but from the data available- it is a risk. If they research the vaccines and get vaccinated- great, I hope. If they would rather wait and hang outside when they visit- I understand. Will I be dining indoors or hanging in bars before 2022? No.
Isn’t shunning masks or getting vaccinated fighting for freedom? It just isn’t our definition of freedom. “You must wear a mask in public, you cannot go to church, you cannot associate with friends, if you get sick- we need info on all those you came in contact with and where”- is that freedom? It sounds more like 1984. It is a frightful corrosion of what it meant to be American, and I won’t fault those that take objection to it.
I’ve met quite a few Americans and a lot of families whose loved ones died fighting for someone else’s freedom, they didn’t seem very selfish.

Full approval of the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines are probably not far away from happening. After that full approval, there will be more and more vaccine mandates.
I am sure the military will be one of the first to act after the full approval. Normally the military pumps their personnel with everything possible it seems with no choices. The only reason the covid vaccines have been optional for military is because of the emergency use authorization. Many colleges are already mandating vaccines for the fall semester.

https://www.10news.com/news/coronavirus/in-depth-how-full-fda-approval-would-impact-vaccine-mandates-competition

#22488 2 years ago

I got my 2nd dose of Pfizer yesterday. I am a little tired feeling (maybe brain fog like when having a cold) with a very mild headache, but nothing major.

#22536 2 years ago

Just about everyone I have talked with had either no side effects from the 2nd dose beyond a mild soreness at the injection site or a little feeling of fatigue and possibly a mild headache. I had the fatigue and very mild headache and it was gone 36 hours after the 2nd dose. The side effects of the vaccine are nothing compared to getting a bad covid disease so please get the 2nd dose and sleep well knowing you are getting the maximum protection possible.

#22623 2 years ago

The little swimmers should be doing fine after being vaccinated with Pfizer :

https://www.yahoo.com/news/sperm-not-impacted-pfizer-biontech-155133414.html

#22627 2 years ago

Positive news regarding Pfizer and Moderna vaccines and variants:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/more-studies-show-pfizer-moderna-095200757.html

1 week later
#22859 2 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Got my Moderna shot through work on April 20th. The nurse said the second shot will be within 1-4 months.
Wife got her Pfizer shot at the pharmacy on Saturday. Her second shot is the same...1-4 months away.
Both of us were told to get the same vaccine shot for our second dose and not to mix them with other ones.
Anyways....nice to see you guys south of the border returning to some type of normalcy. We're so behind its not even funny.

That is strange. The second shot of Moderna is supposed to be 4 weeks after the first dose. Is the 1-4 month time frame because of a shortage in Canada?

#22872 2 years ago
F09687BC-4164-4B69-9C39-C7945A04A658 (resized).jpegF09687BC-4164-4B69-9C39-C7945A04A658 (resized).jpeg
#22888 2 years ago
Quoted from Jamesays:

I am fully vaccinated but went to pickup my meds and the place was packed with people getting 1st shots.I noticed the pharmacist asking for I.D. and insurance.Why show insurance for free shots ? Just curious.

My understanding is that non-government vaccine locations can charge the insurance to get reimbursed for their administrative costs. There are still no costs to the customer either way.

#22947 2 years ago

I went on a plane and also ate at an airport restaurant last week. These were the first non-takeout restaurant eating and densely populated activities we have done since March 2020.

Thank you Pfizer/Moderna/J&J.

#22955 2 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

Crazy - we are happy about a Daily COVID-19 Death number that is averaging “only” 500 people per day.

Maybe happy that the death rate continues to go down and the virus rates are also still going down, but not happy to settle for 500 deaths a day. Thankfully, the vaccines are working obviously.

#23014 2 years ago

Seems to me that if your employer decides that it is in their customers and their businesses best interest for you to be vaccinated then they can require you to be vaccinated in order to keep your job. You then have the option of leaving and finding work elsewhere. You don’t get to dictate the terms of your employment. As long as they aren’t discriminating on the basis of race, religion sexual orientation, etc. then it’s their business and their right.
This really isn’t new, lots of jobs that can cause public harm have strict requirements, airline pilots, air traffic controllers, doctors, police officers, etc.

US capitalist "At will" employment cuts in many ways. It is interesting that many that defend the employer's right to fire employees for trivial things (or for no reason at all) with no financial consequences to the employer are defending the employee when it comes to employer vaccine requirements.

1 week later
#23104 2 years ago

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/At-will_employment

The employee has the right to refuse and the employer has the tight to terminate said employee. Any vaccine side effects would almost definitely be the employee’s problem to deal with and not the employer other than to allow the employee to use any sick leave the employee has accrued.

It is baffling how some people that normally are all for at-will employer power are suddenly upset about a vaccine requirement by employers. Employers have all the power so people should not selectively be getting worked up or surprised about one instance where at-will employment displays itself. At-will employment is an all or nothing concept. Either you agree with it or not.

#23109 2 years ago
Quoted from sethington:

Seems a little weird to ignore population difference in ~100 years when making this comparison.
Estimated US population in 1918: 103.21m @ 675k dead ~ .65%
Estimated US population in 2020: 330.66m @ 597k dead ~ .181%
Putting death rates for Spanish Flu ~3.6 times that of Covid19.
Policies also not in place in 1918:
- PCR testing as only requirement to be considered a case regardless of symptoms
- Death certificate matching on positive cases 3+ months in past (timeline state dependent)
Not downplaying the impact of Covid at all, but these are factors that should be considered when making a direct comparison to 1918.

Ventilators did not exist in 1918. Also, pretty much everything in medicine has improved since then.

#23156 2 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

I'm glad those are being reported and they are checking it out. But do you know what poses a much higher risk of myocarditis and pericarditis than the vaccines? Actually contracting Covid-19.
https://www.hcplive.com/view/science-understand-myocarditis-covid-19

I was just talking with my sister in-law today about this subject. She is a doctor in internal medicine and also has a son in this age category. She even said that not only covid disease can cause myocarditis but that common flu bugs often cause inflammation of the heart (myocarditis). The chances of a young man having serious complications from the vaccine are much less than the possibility of complications from having the virus by a large factor.

#23208 2 years ago

https://www.yahoo.com/news/people-hospitalized-covid-19-now-100140919.html

"People hospitalized with COVID-19 now have one overwhelming thing in common. They're not vaccinated.
In Minnesota, the HealthPartners system has seen a “precipitous decline” in COVID-19 hospitalizations, says Dr. Mark Sannes, an infectious disease physician and senior medical director for the system, which operates nine hospitals and more than 55 clinics. But now, nearly every admitted patient he does see is unvaccinated.

“Less than 1% of our hospitalized COVID patients are vaccinated," he said."

#23242 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Very interesting fact that approximately 10% of those admitted to hospital were fully vaccinated. I'm not sure if that would be lower in countries where Pfizer and Moderna vaccines are more prevalent? I think Astra Zeneca was the main vaccine used in the UK. I will be watching the UK situation closely. Please keep the updates coming. Thanks.

In my opinion, Israel is the country to watch to see if they are having breakthrough cases because they used Pfizer as a main vaccine. I could not find much presently about breakthrough cases in Israel.

#23250 2 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

In my opinion, Israel is the country to watch to see if they are having breakthrough cases because they used Pfizer as a main vaccine. I could not find much presently about breakthrough cases in Israel.

Uh oh.
https://thesaxon.org/israel-concern-over-increase-in-delta-variant-coronavirus-cases-even-among-vaccinated/50451/

1 week later
#23453 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

" Pfizer says it’s time for a Covid booster; FDA and CDC say not so fast"
https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/08/health/pfizer-waning-immunity-bn/index.html
"The company specified it would seek FDA emergency use authorization for a booster dose in August."
" But in an unusual move, two top federal agencies said Americans don’t need boosters yet and said it was not up to companies alone to decide when they might be needed."
=====================================
Looks like Pfizer is wanting to ring its cash register. But the buyers disappeared.

I can't say the thought that Israel could be colluding with Pfizer to boost sales for Pfizer hasn't come into my mind just a little as a possibility. These reports of lower efficacy against the delta variant by Israel have not appeared to be proper mass medical studies and instead appear to be cherry picking small numbers of cases/people. Just a few days ago they were talking about how the vaccines may be effective for a long time (years) and how that may not be good for Pfizer/Moderna financially: https://www.fool.com/investing/2021/07/07/could-pfizer-and-moderna-now-face-their-second-wor/?source=eptyholnk0000202&utm_source=yahoo-host&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=article&yptr=yahoo

I totally agree that it is up to the US agencies to decide when vaccines/boosters are needed, not the corporations.

#23455 2 years ago
Quoted from JimB:

That CNN article that came out yesterday saying our existing 2 shots are weakening quickly seems suspect. Especially since some studies are saying we might have protection for quite a long time. On the original strain of course not mutations.

Just to clarify, the article said that Israel and Pfizer are saying the vaccines are weakening. The media is not saying it is true but is merely covering the story of what Pfizer and Israel are saying, and since then the media have been covering what the CDC and FDA are saying about not presently needing any boosters. Obviously it will take more time and data to figure out whether boosters will be needed.

1 week later
#23676 2 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

There is a ton of this going one. They say the J&J vaccine is worthless.

No it is not worthless. It appears to prevent severe illness in most cases:

https://www.nbcboston.com/news/local/pfizer-moderna-jj-vaccines-efficacy-as-delta-variant-concerns-rise/2419162/

#23703 2 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

Woo, no Covid, I got my test results in 22 hours. This is the first time I've been sick since January 2020, I think it's just allergies or a minor cold. I really liked not ever getting sick, one reason why I'm still going to keep up with the hand sanitizer, masks and social distancing to some extent going forward.

That is good news. I had a little sinus congestion and slight soreness in my throat yesterday morning so I used my netipot and it was gone within an hour. I think it was sinus irritation that often leads to sinus infection if I don’t use the netipot to flush it out.

#23710 2 years ago
Quoted from Jamesays:

I see on the news in Louisiana theres a guy in the hospital with covid and hes saying I still would rather be sick than take the shot.He should take his sorry meat out of the hospital and go home Dumb a$$

The guy was still on oxygen and he was going to go home that way it seems. What an ignoramus.

#23729 2 years ago

LA man who mocked Covid-19 vaccines dies of virus

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-57958358

#23795 2 years ago

Federal employees may be required to get vaccinated. I suspect once at least one of the vaccines is fully approved the military will require vaccinations for all service members just like they have done with just about every other vaccine in the past. It sounds like federal employees may not be far behind. Such mandates could increase the amount of fully vaccinated in the country by possibly 2 or 3 million people depending on how many of them have already been vaccinated.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/biden-says-vaccine-mandate-for-all-federal-employees-is-under-consideration-following-va-order/ar-AAMD64H

#23979 2 years ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

No ones going to comment on the fact that literally everything he said 15 months ago, about the chain of events, came true.

You really believe he was right that the same amount of deaths happened even if we had not done some vaccines, mask wearing, social distancing, and closures? I think it is very clear that part of what he said is not true, and the statistics show that hundreds of thousands of lives have been saved.

#23985 2 years ago

There is no stopping the virus variants from coming into the country regardless of whether migrants come in or not. Based on probabilities alone, every time a plane comes back from a foreign country some knucklehead unvaccinated American is likely coming in infected and spreading covid. On top of that, it appears vaccinated people can spread covid even though they don't typically get deathly sick.
The only thing to blame is the citizens that are not protecting themselves by getting the vaccine. We can't protect people any other away effectively in our free society.

#24171 2 years ago
Quoted from Xenon75:

CEO of Pfizer had to cancel a planned trip to Israel today because he was not fully vaccinated... The CEO of Pfizer was not fully vaccinated WTF?

Appears to be fake news.

“In an attempt to cast doubt on the safety and efficiency of the coronavirus vaccines, one Facebook user shared a video claiming Pfizer chairman and CEO Albert Bourla refused to take the vaccine created by his company.

"#Pfeizer (sic) CEO Refuses to get COVID Vaccine," reads the caption of the March 24 video on Facebook with over 3,100 shares and 1,500 reactions.

The video features a CNBC interview with Bourla in which he is asked when he will get vaccinated. In response, he says that he is 59 years old, in good health and is not working on the front lines, so he "is not recommended to get vaccinated now."

"As soon as I can, I will. The only sensitivity here, Meg, is that I don’t want to have an example that I’m cutting the line," Bourla says in the video, which also includes a clip of Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases.”

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2021/03/30/fact-check-pfizer-ceo-albert-bourla-received-covid-19-vaccine/7028843002/

#24262 2 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Travel agents calling us with deals to Mexico. I don't think so. 1k per person all inclusive. That's a deal???

Can you imagine getting hospitalized in Mexico with Covid and being a foreigner? I would not wish that on just about anyone.

#24267 2 years ago

We still have a niece and sister-in-law on my wife’s side that are not vaccinated. We did our best trying to convince them but are resigned to the fact that they may not fare well if they get sick, particularly the sister-in-law who I believe has a lung health issue. I have been blunt to my wife that she should be prepared to lose her sister. It is what it is and people make their own choices no matter how illogical they are. One seems to be a religious based choice and the other seems afraid of shots and medicine. It just seems so dumb because another of my wife’s sisters got polio as toddler in the early 1960’s and has lifelong disabilities as a result of the parents not getting the kids vaccinated for polio. You would think the whole family would have learned from that tragic event that has impacted all of their lives.

When my sister-in-law that had polio as a kid got the COVID vaccine in March of this year she said it felt like winning a lottery. I just wish everyone else realized how fortunate we are to have these amazing scientific accomplishments that are these vaccines. I really don’t enjoy hearing about people in the hospital that are struggling to breath and regretting their choices.

#24294 2 years ago

It is sad that this guy that has been on the brink of leaving this world has been needed to help convince people to get the vaccine. I hope he makes it. He reminds me in personality of a few of my cousins.

https://www.facebook.com/tcampbell1087

#24315 2 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Oh holy s:
Florida governor's office says state could withhold salaries of officials who enact school mask mandates
https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/09/us/florida-desantis-school-mask-mandates/index.html

I am fairly certain it is illegal to not pay an employee for work performed under the US labor laws.

#24423 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Children aren’t the target of covid.
..........and children aren’t the ones catching this, irrational lockdowns of schools shouldn’t be taken out on the children.

Huh? Sure seems like kids are catching it and getting very seriously ill to me:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/kids-sick-covid-are-filling-children-s-hospitals-areas-seeing-n1276238

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/coronavirus/article253250073.html

#24431 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

How long did it take to develop the polio vaccine?
How long did it take to administer the shots?
How long were the lockdowns to stop the spread of polio?

I don't think a lot of people know this but the Covid MRNA vaccines have been being worked on for a very long time so this, what appears to be a short turn around time for a Covid-19 vaccine, is not as short and rushed as it seems to some.

See this article for the vaccine development history:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2021/01/21/fact-check-covid-19-vaccine-nearly-20-years-making/3873247001/

#24882 2 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

What is a confirmed death from a vaccine? Do they have to collapse and pass away within five minutes for it to be confirmed? 12,791 reported deaths through VAERS currently and you're saying only three are confirmed? Most reports are done by physicians or by individuals that have a physicians help so saying there are only three confirmed sounds a lot like covering for a Big Pharma industry rather than trusting your colleges. Who is motivated to investigate these or report them? not Big Pharma, not the corporate media, not bought off politicians. Say only 10% of the reported deaths are vaccine related, that's still over 2000 deaths, to say there are only three confirmed deaths is not critical thinking and saying what you have to say to keep a narrative going.
https://medalerts.org/vaersdb/findfield.php
https://www.axios.com/doctors-big-pharma-drug-medical-device-payments-6526a1e3-04a0-41f3-b3f5-a520fa1e97dc.html[quoted image]

Quote:
"National Vaccine Information Center

Anti-vaccine group

The National Vaccine Information Center (NVIC), founded under the name Dissatisfied Parents Together (DPT) in 1982, is an American 501(c)(3) organization that has been widely criticized as a leading source of fearmongering and misinformation about vaccines."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Vaccine_Information_Center

#24993 2 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

It’s pretty straightforward if you read past the headlines.
Liquid O2 is used to treat waster water. The more water you use the more needs to be treated. The more you treat the more liquid O2 you need. The more liquid O2 you use the less there is for hospital use.
So if you use less water there will be more O2 available for hospitals.

Yes. I was not having any problems understanding the article, but it is hard to understand the ignorance that is causing such a need for so much oxygen in the hospitals which in turn is causing a water shortage.

#24996 2 years ago
Quoted from alexmogil:

Awesome.
So how shall the goalposts be moved next?

Just one less excuse of many they can use.

#25002 2 years ago

This isn’t my post but it is the post of a critical care doc here in Texas. Pretty sobering stuff.
“ PSA (formerly known as rant) #4
I posted this about 3 weeks ago (7/30/21):
On Monday (just 4 days ago) we had 24 COVID patients in our hospital. That’s 14% of a normally full census. This morning that number hit a high of 47 (27%). At our high, during the 2nd surge, we hit 108. That was 62% of a normally full census. We went over capacity for weeks, with 2 patients to a room, some patients in hallway beds and others holding in the ER. We are quickly approaching that crisis level again.
As of yesterday (8/16/21) we had 84 COVID patients in our hospital. Still full capacity. Actually over capacity. Overflowing again to hallways, ER and two patients to a room. We were short staffed before this happened. More young unvaccinated people dying. Just now starting to see some vaccinated patients coming in. They are (as expected) about 5% of the COVID admissions. And now the overtaxed and overworked system is having to deal with the COVID Karens. These are the patients that are “put out” over having COVID. They don’t have time to be hospitalized. They’re pissed off at the hospital staff because we’ve chained them to their oxygen. They don’t know why they have to lie there on 100% oxygen when they could be at home. They curse at staff. They throw things at staff. They claim they just have the flu. They demand treatments that they’ve “researched” on the internet. And then they die. Some of them at least. Some of them get better and go home, but after weeks, sometimes months.
I was tired before this third surge. But this new population of patients is just unbearable. End of rant… sorry, PSA.”

I have a question for you Doc. This one may not be possible to answer yet since the pandemic is still somewhat new so there may not be enough data yet. I figure you may at least have a guesstimate on this. Anyway, when an unvaccinated COVID patient has a bad case and is hospitalized and needs oxygen for an extended time but never ends up on the ventilator, what are the chances they will eventually be able to get off the supplemental oxygen tank if they are sent home on oxygen?

#25049 2 years ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/francis-mossman-actor-in-spartacus-and-the-horizon-dies-at-33-1234999761/
[quoted image]
Looks like it worked, he won’t be able to catch or spread anything at all anymore.

What does this guy's death have to do with this thread? His cause of death appears to have been suicide.

https://observerdesk.com/francis-mossman-commits-suicide-at-the-age-of-33/

#25446 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

On the FDA website (which I posted). They clearly state that the non-N95 masks, you breathe in and out the virus. So if I don’t wear the mask, I breathe in and out the virus, and if I do wear it, I breathe in and out the virus…then what exactly are the non-N95 masks doing? No one properly wears the non-N95 masks.
This isn’t trolling. If anything, it’s reaffirming that more people need to get vaccinated because that is the only thing that will control the virus. Also, yes of course vaccinating also has so far proven effective in reducing hospitalizations.

Masks are about reducing virus spread, not 100% eliminating virus spread which is not possible due to human error even if you had the perfect self contained bubble environment.
You seem to be stuck on the 100% effective argument without accepting that reducing virus transmission is important in keeping the hospitals from being swamped. Also, of course vaccinations have also proven so far to be effective in reducing hospitalizations.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsj.com/amp/articles/face-masks-really-do-matter-the-scientific-evidence-is-growing-11595083298

1 week later
#25601 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Only if Tennessee followed in Hawaii's footsteps of having an indoor mask mandate.
https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2021/08/24/fewer-mainland-nurses-arrive-than-were-expected-hawaiis-hospital-crisis-worsens/
From article:
HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) -
“We know of very few visitors,” said Queen’s Health Systems CEO Jill Hoggard Green. ”The far majority are residents. And they are residents who are unvaccinated.”

Are unvaccinated people likely to be wearing masks? Not that I have seen.

#25616 2 years ago
Quoted from bonzo71:

I keep seeing these graphs thinking they do not include the reason for hospitalization. My understanding is that everyone gets tested.

The reason is at the top of the chart. Covid hospitalizations means that covid illness caused them to be hospitalized.

#25687 2 years ago
Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:This is just crazy. My girlfriend test came back negative for Covid, and she is sick, and went to urgent care again, for more tests and for meds to help her, and they did not give her anything.
I can tell she is very sick, and she has been to 2 different urgent cares, and no one has done anything to help her.
I told her to just see her regular doctor asap, but she dreads that because her regular doc keeps pushing other stuff on her like the colon test stuff, while she is there trying to get help with what she is actually in there in the first place for.
Just seeing first hand how my girlfriend is being treated, I big time hope I never need to see any doctor myself anytime soon.
(so far just being very careful to stay away from other people and crowded places I have not been sick in over 2 years myself, and I thought she was even more careful than me, and she keeps getting sick).
Maybe I need to be tested? Even though I have been fine the whole time and vaccinated.
I am just shocked that 2 different urgent cares did not give her any kind of meds, while I am afraid she was about to die as weak as she was/is.
Those urgent care places always gave me at least 2 meds, if not more when I went, and took good care of me.
I would love to know why she did not get any meds, with a 102 fever, and zombie like?
(and not a money thing, she has very good insurance).
All I know is when I eventually get sick with something again, they are going to give me some kind of meds before I leave their office.
If my girlfriend was not feeling so bad now, she would also have demanded some meds.
And right now I have a aunt in the ICU, she has been there for weeks, and I just learned that she was fully vaccinated.
(I never talk to her, but I had assumed that she was anti-vax).
Anyway, just seeing what my girlfriend is dealing with, the medical people are not doing their job too well at the moment.
I really hope soon everything can return to normal again.
My girlfriend is very sick, and 2 urgent cares have not offered her the first medication to help her to get better.
Something is very wrong with our medical system at the moment.

You mention the colon stuff. Does she have diverticulosis? I am no doctor, but if she has an infection there it probably needs to be diagnosed by testing.

#25735 2 years ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

Back to Covid talk? Sure, I'll bite again.
WXYZ-TV Channel 7 asked their Facebook audience if they lost any unvaccinated loved ones or friends to COVID. Over 35,000 comments now and counting.
https://www.facebook.com/wxyzdetroit/posts/10158207967261135
SPOILER ALERT - they're mostly ALL complaints about death and serious adverse reactions. I have not yet seen even one pro vax comment in there.
But since many people don't want to recognize how serious of an issue the vaccine is, I'll post a few random comments.
"I know someone who had a heart attack after the first dose, & isn't getting the second. I also know someone who died from the vaccine... let's tell THOSE stories!"
"My daughter 33 years old died 10 days after getting the shot
She had a enlarged heart and she had a terminal lung disease pulmonary hypertension ! She shouldn’t of gotten the shot! Pfizer only first shot Bath New York."
"My mother passed away 3 weeks ago from covid… she was fully vaxxed back in January"
"No I lost a vaccinated one and another has GBS from the vaccine"
"My son’s classmate lost her mother from heart complications due to the vaccine."
"After the v were available... someone I care about suffered from severe memory loss AFTER the second shot. A medical doctor could no longer remember where they lived or how to get home. Memory has yet to return. One life destroyed, and that life affected many others. But lives don't matter to you, you just seem eager to celebrate the death of the unv'd."
"A friend of a parent went into cardiac arrest almost immediately after receiving second dose. They were unableto revive her.
I alsoknow of someone who lost a limb due to a blood clot/circulation issue after being fully vaccinated."
"They wanna talk about losing unvaccinated people but don't wanna speak one word about the ones we lost that were vaccinated cause they don't want that truth to come out"
"No stories on that. But a guy I knew got double shot and 2 days later dropped dead of a heart attack. Why don't you report on THAT"
"No but I know a teenager hospitalized myocarditis the day after the second Pfizer shot"
"My fully vaccinated husband and I just recovered from covid and gave it to our unvaccinated children who we were trying to protect by getting the shots in the first place!!! How about covering that story instead of producing more propaganda. So much journalizing!!"
"With all these comments I feel like that number of who has actually been vaccinated is skewed to try and convince those who aren't to pony up and get it... but it's not happening. So threats are next?"
"I have a friend who got the Covid vaxx, and less than 24 hours later her leg swelled so bad that it tore the miniscus on both sides of her knee. She couldn't walk for months."
"I know 5 people who have lost friends or family members after being vaccinated."
"The hospital in my hometown lumps partially vaccinated into unvaccinated thus raising the percentages. Disgusting"
"I lost a daughter in law to blood clots after getting the Moderna shots."
"My vaccinated dad passed away to covid 3 days ago"
"More teen boys go to the hospital with covid vaccine related heart problems than unvaccinated with covid symptoms. 6 times more. Teen boys should not be endangered by vaccine to reduce someone else's risk. It's unethical."
So again, if people want to take the vaccine, they can. But they need to STFU with trying to tell people to take the damn thing.

You are relying on facebook for your news? Someone saying things on facebook to a news channel does not make it news facts.

3 weeks later
#26218 2 years ago
Quoted from JimB:

Pfizer vaccine’s immunity wears off after two months: Study
So this is not good news. What options should Pfizer people consider now? My dr had Moderna and is comfortable without a booster for himself. I don’t want to keep getting boosters to help Pfizer keep up.

It is still 90% effective against hospitalization and severe illness. I will be happy to have a booster when it is recommended for my age group and health status though.

https://www.usnews.com/news/health-news/articles/2021-10-07/studies-show-power-of-pfizer-vaccine-starts-to-wane-after-two-months

2 weeks later
1 week later
#26634 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

I saw exactly what you were saying. You misquoted me on purpose.
No idea where you think it’s only a dozen mutations.
Here you go, as of April first, there were 12,700 identified mutations: https://srhd.org/news/2021/coronavirus-mutations-and-variants-what-does-it-mean
Did you not see the article I posted where every week they are finding new mutations? Try clicking the link I just posted. Remember, very few cases are tested for mutations. More than likely, there are mutations that they haven’t found yet.

You are misreading his "dozen" statement. He was referring to human transmission to and from animals, not the amount of mutations.

#26717 2 years ago
Quoted from BrianJ1337:

The first human being to ever have an mRNA injection was when?.. earliest I can find is December 2020. Not even a year later half the planet got it it seems. Long way from having failures in lab animals to injecting the planet.
If you can find me someone who's gotten it sooner in testing let me know but all "human" testing I can find was on human cells in a lab not in actual human beings. That didn't start until just last year.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/11/researchers-rush-to-start-moderna-coronavirus-vaccine-trial-without-usual-animal-testing/

In 2013 they were testing MRNA vaccines on humans:
https://healthfeedback.org/how-were-mrna-vaccines-developed-for-covid-19/

1 week later
#26973 2 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

Not. Good.
[quoted image]

I would like to know which variant is predominant in these spikes.

#27052 2 years ago

I got my Pfizer booster yesterday. No side effects other than the typical minor soreness at the injection area of the arm.

#27117 2 years ago
Quoted from herg:

I've never been a person to put stickers on my car. After getting my booster shot, I was walking around the store (CVS). I found myself eerily drawn to the 0.0 stickers. It must be a side effect of the vaccine.
Seriously, though, I don't have any problem with those long races, I'm just tired of talking about them, along with some other subjects.

Darn it Pinside is broken. It is only letting me give one up vote.

#27118 2 years ago

Oh no, you had to go there. You know who will be posting a flurry of arguments towards your post. Let me cut to the chase and save that Pinsider some time since we know he will argue that masks do not stop virus spread and then others will argue that masks decrease spread and he will argue back saying that is wrong because masks do not 100% stop spread which we know is not what the article or Pinsiders said in the first place.
insert Broken record emoji

1 week later
#27272 2 years ago

Omicron is the official name of the new covid variant of concern.
https://www.ft.com/content/fb7c54a5-7f1a-49d3-9a00-6050f0f26bf4

#27273 2 years ago

Pfizer/Biontech should have data on how much the new variant can evade the immunities in about two weeks.
They say they can have a new modified vaccine to start shipping in about 4 or 5 months from now:

https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/new-covid-variant-south-africa-11-26-21/h_4dc658279877e244b639adf513dd1e01

#27307 2 years ago

This story about a soccer team in Portugal is disturbing knowing that over 90% of Portugal is vaccinated. A player came back from South Africa and now the majority of the team has Covid. Could it be a sign of Omicron’s ability to evade immunity from vaccines? I am sure we will hear more on this story if it is found to be the new variant.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/portuguese-liga/story/4532864/portugal-league-match-abandoned-as-covid-outbreak-reduces-belenenses-to-nine-playerstwo-keepers?platform=amp

#27312 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Am I reading this correctly? It sounds like the one team knew one of its players had Covid and asked for the game to be canceled and was told they have to play. And then the entire team got sick. Am I reading this correctly?

No, not the correct read. The Portuguese league appear to be the ones in the wrong in this story:

"In the middle of the afternoon we communicated to the Liga that we didn't want to play the game," he said. "We had eight players who could attend the game and as such, they told us that if we didn't attend the game it would be unjustified absence."

My understanding is one South African National Team player came back to the Portuguese pro team (Belenenses) after World Cup Qualifiers were played and tested positive. The qualifiers were played around November 16, so the player probably traveled back to Portugal on Nov. 17. After that a total of 17 players on the pro team tested positive since then so they only had 8 healthy players available for their league match. The Portuguese league told them they must play anyway. The players made public statements disagreeing with the decision of forcing them to play, and they tried to play but were getting blown out 7-0 so after halftime one player sat down on the pitch to force the stop of the match because it was a farce to play that match in the first place as 11 players against 8.

#27314 2 years ago

This is an early not very scientific report on Omicron symptoms. We should hope that this is the beginning of the variants being less harmful versions of Covid, and that the existing vaccines still are effective in significantly reducing the affects of Covid.

https://thegazapost.com/en/post/133898/What-are-Omicron-symptoms-

#27388 2 years ago

Still too early to know for sure but possible good news:

https://m.jpost.com/health-and-wellness/coronavirus/covid-1st-data-about-vaccine-efficacy-against-omicron-expected-tuesday-687392/amp

“In the coming days we will have more accurate information about the efficacy of the vaccine against Omicron, but there is already room for optimism, and there are initial indications that those who are vaccinated with a vaccine still valid or with a booster will also be protected from this variant,”

#27555 2 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

For example, the pleasant odor of freshly baked bread might smell overpowering and rotten instead of subtle and sweet.”

Oh, so it smells like Subway restaurants.

#27679 2 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

From what I’ve been told, no marathon runner has ever died. Well, except Pheidippides… but that was before the pandemic even started.

Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Absolutely.
People who run them are HEALTHY.
As my doctor said, even without the vaccine, I will have a 100% survival rate.
Look at one of my previous posts where I quote the CDC for who’s at risk for covid. It was unhealthy people. And of course the people with the narrative chose to ignore it.

Oh really? 100% chance a marathon runner will not die of Covid

https://www.the-sun.com/news/2132895/widow-healthy-husband-54-died-covid-marathon-invincible/amp/

https://www.runnersworld.com/uk/news/amp32077966/tributes-paid-to-marathon-runner-coronavirus/

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/us-news/super-fit-ultra-marathon-runner-21851516.amp

https://www.npr.org/2021/03/14/972826276/a-story-of-youth-hope-and-loss-and-the-mystery-of-covid-19

https://baptistnews.com/article/evangelist-dies-of-covid-just-25-days-after-preaching-at-a-huge-baptist-youth-camp/#.YbZ51qROnDs

https://guardian.co.tt/news/marathoner-loses-battle-with-covid19-6.2.1361713.9aa4a1c128

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/world-news/coronavirus-healthy-marathon-runner-26-21787891.amp

#27683 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

So you’re just posting the exceptions.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7237076/#!po=0.833333
There you go, famous athletes who died suddenly of heart attacks.
Is this the rule for athletes, or the exception just like you posted.
I’m going to go with exception…..please don’t ever deviate from that narrative.

You said 100% survival like you are invincible from Covid. Exceptions mean you are not 100% safe because several healthy athletic people like marathon runners die from covid and even more have severe long haulers issues.

Why is everything always in absolutes and 100 percents with you? Are you a bot? 10010001110

1 month later
#28790 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Looks like Covid got Meat Loaf…let’s not get too comfortable folks! Unless your doctor has given you the 100 percent promise, we are still at risk here.

I believe Meat Loaf is the most famous American to die of Covid.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DCFAN.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread?tu=DCFAN and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.