086E12F2-35A3-4EDF-95D2-35EEC2D07434 (resized).jpeg
8EDE30C0-0474-46B8-89B8-DE34C22BB456 (resized).jpeg
covid cases (resized).jpg
314B85BB-1AE3-48E3-B4E8-2F026B290EDB (resized).png
69C242D5-DF00-4F92-988C-952580E68FFD.jpeg
D704F3B5-284D-4B95-A2C0-E4BB3440BAC2 (resized).png
47278C5B-29D0-43A2-B611-3235EB6A8B72 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

155 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 Important warning Posted by Daditude (1 year ago)

Post #6 Coronavirus website with up-to-the-moment stats Posted by Daditude (1 year ago)

Post #172 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by Pinball_Gizzard (1 year ago)

Post #193 Name of disease and of the virus Posted by Pinball_Gizzard (1 year ago)

Post #209 Explains why you need social distancing Posted by Pinball_Gizzard (1 year ago)

Post #239 Comment on seasonality Posted by Pinball_Gizzard (1 year ago)

Post #251 Avoid ibuprofen Posted by Pinball_Gizzard (1 year ago)

Post #370 Info on chloroquine Posted by Pinball_Gizzard (1 year ago)

Post #530 News from Italy Posted by Pedretti_Gaming (1 year ago)

Post #693 Important info and advice Posted by ForceFlow (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Aurich.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#14655 1 year ago

There's a phenomenon called the preparedness paradox. When you plan for something, and your plan works, people then tend to say the thing you were planning for wasn't a big deal.

Probably the most famous modern example is the Y2K bug. 2000 rolled around and nothing bad happened, so people said oh, it was just dumb media hype, and ignored the ridiculous amount of work programmers put in to make sure things didn't break. Nothing happened because people prepared.

The lockdowns aren't a magic bullet, and frankly most countries didn't prepare that well. But they stopped the worst case scenario. And now people want to get back to normal, because they're tired and stressed by what's going on. I don't blame anyone for being tired and stressed. But nothing has changed. We don't have a vaccine or a cure. The outcomes haven't been as scary as they could have been because we acted, not because the predictions were wrong. Those chart curves are ready to come roaring back if we let down our guard.

There is no pretending this is hype and nonsense. The virus doesn't care who you voted for, or which TV network you watch. Maybe you won't get sick, or maybe you will and it will be easy to get over it. I hope the best for everyone.

But the numbers don't lie. Virus theory isn't a fairy tale. Exponential spread happens in rural areas just like it does in big cities, it just might take a little longer to get going. The economy will get fucked by people dying and getting sick too, there's no avoiding it. If we want to bounce back faster then we gotta take the painful steps now, or it will just be worse in the long run. That's the lesson we learned from 1918.

I work in the media. Our science and health writers are all PhDs, they're taking this very seriously, and I promise you, they'd much rather be writing about anything else right now. People in our company have been laid off, our competitors are laying people off. Even the most basic common sense would tell you nobody is profiting from covering the facts.

I'm just putting people who are screaming about conspiracies on ignore. I don't need the headache, and I don't suggest arguing with them is worth the time. But I don't care who you vote for or what your politics are, I don't want you or your loved ones to be sick or die. Be mad, but be safe. Wear your damn mask to protect others from yourself, like they do to protect you, wash your hands, and have some common sense. This isn't the time to decide you're right and the rest of the entire world is wrong.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Aurich.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside