272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 89 of 576.
#4401 4 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.

Like doggos?
This is a picture of my Chug (part chihuahua, part pug). Her name is Penny lane.

20191218_073809~2 (resized).jpg20191218_073809~2 (resized).jpg
#4402 4 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

I could use some of that beer about now...minus the lead, of course.

Ive been immersed in the genetic defects passed down by lead in water.
There appears to be a connection between those that believe the earth is flat, and genetic defect from lead.

#4403 4 years ago

No sympathies needed...lost a cousin in Manchester England last night, died within 36 hours of symptoms.
I am up to 4, of family or friends....

#4404 4 years ago
Quoted from chad:

Heard about this this morning. Pretty sad..

My mother has late stage Alzheimer’s. She hasn’t recognized me for years. She doesn’t know herself, her family, etc. Hell, if my family had a choice, we’d have euthanized her already. Don’t prioritize her over someone that has potential for useful life. Of course, every situation is different, but that’s my situation.

If I were 80 and had it, and a 30 year old also had it - prioritize them over me.

#4405 4 years ago

Reposting this as I am curious as to what others think...

I have been wondering this exact thing and in no way do the answers minimize the seriousness of the situation we are in. How long has this virus really been in our country? If it has been here longer would that support the theory that the rapid rise of cases is not thru accelerated spread but thru the accelerated rate of testing and we are just getting “caught up”? The number of known cases, recoveries, hospitalizations, and deaths would all go up if this were the case. And the number of cases will continue to skyrocket until we do get “caught up”. This still doesn’t account for all of those that are asymptomatic. I guess what I’m wondering thru all of this is how these “real” numbers might affect the mortality rate. Would the mortality rate be much lower than what it is currently? Just thinking out loud...any thoughts appreciated as I have struggled with trying to understand this from the beginning...thanks in advance!

#4406 4 years ago
Quoted from wrb1977:

I have been wondering this exact thing and in no way do the answers minimize the seriousness of the situation we are in. How long has this virus really been in our country? If it has been here longer would that support the theory that the rapid rise of cases is not thru accelerated spread but thru the accelerated rate of testing and we are just getting “caught up”? The number of known cases, recoveries, hospitalizations, and deaths would all go up if this were the case. And the number of cases will continue to skyrocket until we do get “caught up”. This still doesn’t account for all of those that are asymptomatic. I guess what I’m wondering thru all of this is how these “real” numbers might affect the mortality rate. Would the mortality rate be much lower than what it is currently? Just thinking out loud...any thoughts appreciated as I have struggled with trying to understand this from the beginning...thanks in advance!

Yes we are still getting caught up on testing, but even then we have a pretty good idea of how long it has been here.

With exponential spread, it really only takes an extra few days or weeks to dramatically increase number of cases. For example, it doesn’t need to have been here since November, only beginning of January vs an assumed mid January to have a huge impact.

07944FF3-09EF-48F0-9BB1-546C78DECE5B (resized).jpeg07944FF3-09EF-48F0-9BB1-546C78DECE5B (resized).jpeg
#4407 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

A new FDA-authorized COVID-19 test doesn't need a lab and can produce results in just 5 minutes
https://www.yahoo.com/news/fda-authorized-covid-19-test-033823184.html
"Unlike the rapid tests that have been used in other countries, and that received a new type of authorization under an FDA guideline that doesn't confirm the accuracy fo the results, this rapid testing solution uses the molecular testing method, which works with saliva and mucus samples swabbed from a patient. This means that it works by identifying a portion of the virus' DNA in a patient, which means it's much better at detecting the actual presence of the virus during infection, whereas other tests that search the blood for antibodies that are used in point-of-care settings can only detect antibodies, which might be present in recovered patients who don't actively have the virus."

Interesting but bad reporting. SARS-CoV-2 is an RNA virus. It doesn’t have DNA.

#4408 4 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Got this From Disney yesterday.
New park opening date has been set to...
"Closed Until Further Notice"[quoted image]

#4409 4 years ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Brazil is fucked. President there doesn't want lockdown or social distancing.[quoted image]

Yeah he’s taking our own twisted playbook and cranking it up to 11.

Dude definitely learned from the best. RIP Brazil.

#4410 4 years ago
Quoted from PinJim:

My mother has late stage Alzheimer’s. She hasn’t recognized me for years. She doesn’t know herself, her family, etc. Hell, if my family had a choice, we’d have euthanized her already. Don’t prioritize her over someone that has potential for useful life. Of course, every situation is different, but that’s my situation.
If I were 80 and had it, and a 30 year old also had it - prioritize them over me.

This.

In a true care rationing situation all the reserves have been used up and doctors have to make very hard triage choices. It’s about preserving the most possible quality life. The article originally cited is pretty inflammatory and strikes me as click bait journalism. It states that the policy talks about people with SEVERE mental retardation, SEVERE dementia and SEVERE traumatic brain injury. Then in the next paragraph it tries to say that people with Down’s syndrome or autism are at risk. Those conditions are not considered severe mental retardation so those patients would not be subject to the policy.

#4411 4 years ago

I wouldn’t generally classify ProPublica as inflammatory and certainly not a clickbait site.

#4412 4 years ago
Quoted from wrb1977:

I guess what I’m wondering thru all of this is how these “real” numbers might affect the mortality rate. Would the mortality rate be much lower than what it is currently? Just thinking out loud...any thoughts appreciated as I have struggled with trying to understand this from the beginning...thanks in advance!

There are experts who know how to account for all these factors, and these experts are saying the case fatality rate is 1-3% when patients can get care, higher when they can’t. At a certain point it’s obvious: mass graves, refrigerator trucks for the dead...these things don’t happen with a flu-like mortality rate. And some people die of organ failure while they are intubated for COVID - these don’t get counted in the death toll (“cause of death: heart failure”).

Also, I know everyone is focused on mortality (aren’t we all?), but hospitalization rate matters just as much. The reason the hospitals are overwhelmed is that 20% of people who get this will end up there.

#4413 4 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

There are experts who know how to account for all these factors, and these experts are saying the case fatality is 1-3% when patients can get care, higher when they can’t. At a certain point it’s obvious: mass graves, refrigerator trucks for the dead...these things don’t happen with a flu-like mortality rate.

Do you think this accounts for those that are asymptomatic? I don’t know how you could even begin to gather data and account for those that have no symptoms.

#4414 4 years ago
Quoted from wrb1977:

Do you think this accounts for those that are asymptomatic? I don’t know how you could even begin to gather data and account for those that have no symptoms.

Extensive and rigorous testing. See Singapore or South Korea.

Edit: or a handful of small towns in Italy and elsewhere where near 100% of populace was repeatedly tested.

#4415 4 years ago
Quoted from wrb1977:

You’re right, the Case Fatality Rate (CFR) does not include unreported cases.

https://www.cebm.net/covid-19/global-covid-19-case-fatality-rates/

I think it’s impossible to know the mortality rate without widescale testing, like South Korea.

#4416 4 years ago
Quoted from wrb1977:

There are more articles popping up on this idea every day. At this time they still have more research to do and cannot say one way or the other. Some experts think it wasn't before January, and some think as early as October.

#4417 4 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

Interesting but bad reporting. SARS-CoV-2 is an RNA virus. It doesn’t have DNA.

Yea there were a lot of comments about that.

#4418 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

A new FDA-authorized COVID-19 test doesn't need a lab and can produce results in just 5 minutes
https://www.yahoo.com/news/fda-authorized-covid-19-test-033823184.html
"Unlike the rapid tests that have been used in other countries, and that received a new type of authorization under an FDA guideline that doesn't confirm the accuracy fo the results, this rapid testing solution uses the molecular testing method, which works with saliva and mucus samples swabbed from a patient. This means that it works by identifying a portion of the virus' DNA in a patient, which means it's much better at detecting the actual presence of the virus during infection, whereas other tests that search the blood for antibodies that are used in point-of-care settings can only detect antibodies, which might be present in recovered patients who don't actively have the virus."

How it tests is how all current tests work; looking for antibodys would take way more time but will be helpful later on to determine who may stroll freely.

That a machine does it for you and not a laboratory is the cool thing.

Doing hundreds of tests at once in a laboratory is still faster tough but that device is cool for on location usage.
Still have to produce it very quickly to benefit from it.

#4419 4 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

No sympathies needed...lost a cousin in Manchester England last night, died within 36 hours of symptoms.
I am up to 4, of family or friends....

Wow, sorry to hear that. This disease is so much more serious than many still believe. I wish people would wake up before it is right in their face or before losing a loved one.

#4420 4 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

The reason the hospitals are overwhelmed is that 20% of people who get this will end up there.

075CDE16-61E1-483A-8C95-B1573AC0F92F (resized).jpeg075CDE16-61E1-483A-8C95-B1573AC0F92F (resized).jpeg
#4421 4 years ago

Catchy song parody:

#4422 4 years ago

I get that in an overwhelmed system, tough choices will need to be made about which lives to save and which to not.

I guess what really doesn’t sit well with me is when it’s the state directing these decisions and not the doctors on the ground. In my view, doctors are trained to choose based on likely medical outcome, while the state is incentivized to choose based on societal “value”.

It is the value part that really disturbs me.

The state should be focused on scrounging up every last resource it can to support the doctors.

#4423 4 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Those things are awesome...we have multiple kits, and the kids love them....they built a radio yesterday

Awesome, I’ll have to look into getting some of the other kits. My brother got this for him for his birthday so thus far this is the only kit I’ve seen.
My son really loves it and when he woke up this morning started on a few more of the projects while he was eating breakfast.

#4424 4 years ago

GM making ventilators so quickly is scary. They will have to bipass a lot of quality checks to roll these out this soon. I have a question for @pinball_gizzard. If we had all the machines to keep people alive. Would we have enough properly trained people to use them correctly?

#4425 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That's so crazy. We went on vacation there and went on the Intrepid tour just last year. Place was packed.

#4426 4 years ago
Quoted from Gunnut40:

GM making ventilators so quickly is scary. They will have to bipass a lot of quality checks to roll these out this soon. I have a question for pinball_gizzard. If we had all the machines to keep people alive. Would we have enough properly trained people to use them correctly?

I had the same thought. How do they even do it? Converting a car factory to a ventilator factory with the snap of a finger? Seems impossible. Maybe I’m just not up to speed on how quickly you can convert a machine from making plastic part for a car to plastic parts for something else. Same applies to motors, electronics, etc. Not to mention setting up assembly lines. I guess they’d just forgo QA?

I’m not sure I buy it.

#4427 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

There are more articles popping up on this idea every day. At this time they still have more research to do and cannot say one way or the other. Some experts think it wasn't before January, and some think as early as October.

My brother lives in Nashville and was very sick at the end of November thru the beginning of December. He told me he had never felt that sick in his entire life and just figured it was a case of the “bad flu” that was going around...now he wonders if it was the coronavirus. Without test data from back then we will never know the answer.

#4428 4 years ago
Quoted from PinJim:

I had the same thought. How do they even do it? Converting a car factory to a ventilator factory with the snap of a finger? Seems impossible. Maybe I’m just not up to speed on how quickly you can convert a machine from making plastic part for a car to plastic parts for something else. Same applies to motors, electronics, etc. Not to mention setting up assembly lines. I guess they’d just forgo QA?
I’m not sure I buy it.

As mentioned a bit above. We started that process with VW but thats only industrial 3D printing of some parts and how helpfull this is is still to be seen.

Of course I want it to work.

#4429 4 years ago
Quoted from wrb1977:

My brother lives in Nashville and was very sick at the end of November thru the beginning of December. He told me he had never felt that sick in his entire life and just figured it was a case of the “bad flu” that was going around...now he wonders if it was the coronavirus. Without test data from back then we will never know the answer.

If he really got sick but his breathing was still good it‘s more likely to be a severe influenza.
Sadly we have no widespread antibody tests yet.

#4430 4 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

If he really got sick but his breathing was still good it‘s more likely to be a severe influenza.
Sadly we have no widespread antibody tests yet.

This wasn't here in the fall or December. Those are just crazy conspiracy theories coming out of China. If it had been, the entire country would be infected by now and our hospitals overrun with dying people months ago.

#4431 4 years ago
Quoted from wrb1977:

Governor Coumo today stated that in NY they are working on a test for the antibodies (people exposed and recovered).
He stated it’s not ready yet, but they are working on it.
If that can be developed that would be a huge leap forward.

#4432 4 years ago

Not very probable he had the corona in December, but this is a good reminder that influenza can be difficult and maybe fatal too.
Since now it is the season of influenza, while at the same time corona is spreading, extra care is needed. Getting hit of both at the same time is not what you want.

Take care, wash your hands often, good luck!

#4433 4 years ago

Back to work by Easter.

#4434 4 years ago
Quoted from Coindork:

Governor Coumo today stated that in NY they are working on a test for the antibodies (people exposed and recovered).

That's great to hear!

#4435 4 years ago

Not sure if it’s been mentioned already, but some pretty good news on the testing front

https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/2932766001

#4436 4 years ago
Quoted from Coindork:

I've been googling for the results of the chloroquine meds they sent to NY without much luck. Sounded like they were going to be administered starting last Tues.

#4437 4 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

This wasn't here in the fall or December. Those are just crazy conspiracy theories coming out of China. If it had been, the entire country would be infected by now and our hospitals overrun with dying people months ago.

Well, that's the point. The flu death numbers that everyone was throwing around may not have been the flu. Many people who got tested for flu tested negative. It's not a conspiracy theory at all, it's a very real possibility, but it is not proven yet.

One of the main reasons this stands out to me is the whole sense of taste/smell symptom. I've never had that issue before but I had it over new years. At the time I related it to being sick but again, I have never had that symptom in my life except on a medication one time. When it happened I talked about it to the wife because it was so odd and annoying (since my sinuses weren't stuffed).

Again though, you could be right.

Either way, ultimately it doesn't really change anything.

#4438 4 years ago

Still not enough testing. USA is #1. Woohoo.

#4439 4 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

I said majority rule. Not the electoral college. Guess you missed that part?
And yes, I think 250 years after the constitution was written some changes are necessary. They’re called “amendments”, and we need one to abolish the electoral college. So that the majority of Americans hopes and dreams aren’t highjacked by a bunch of yahoos gaming the system.

So a bunch of liberals from either side of the country and a bunch of stupid kids who think socialism is awesome so they can get a free ride can destroy this country from the rest of us. That makes a lot of sense. I for one think the founding fathers were geniuses.

#4440 4 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

So a bunch of liberals from either side of the country and a bunch of stupid kids who think socialism is awesome so they can get a free ride can destroy this country from the rest of us. That makes a lot of sense. I for one think the founding fathers were geniuses.

Social Isurances, healthcare and free education help everybody and strengthen the system.

Better education = better jobs = more money = more taxes

Less poverty = less criminals = people feeling safe = less guns = less people shot dead

#4442 4 years ago

https://www.aol.com/article/news/2020/03/28/michigan-governor-gretchen-whitmer-says-medical-vendors-were-told-not-to-supply-state/23964182/

“I say, ‘Mike, don’t call ... the woman in Michigan. It doesn’t make any difference what happens,’” Trump said.

How are you guys in Michigan?

#4443 4 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Social Isurances, healthcare and free education help everybody and strengthen the system.
Better education = better jobs = more money = more taxes

You can't throw your epeen around and claim you're better than everyone else if everyone is treated equal.

Also, I think most people have no clue what socialism is...and most of them are the ones railing against it.

#4444 4 years ago
Quoted from wrb1977:

I am a registered Republican (there, I sacked up ) but am not exactly thrilled with everything President Trump says or does. There are many days I wish I could just tell him to stop talking or stop tweeting! Some things I agree with some I don’t. I am not “pretending” or trying to “fool” anyone about anything. I like to hear and truly understand opposing views. Sometimes an opposing viewpoint opens my eyes and changes my mind about how I feel about something. This is why I wanted to engage with you specifically a few days ago and we had good conversation, it gave me lots to think about. thefamilyarcade has many valid points but he undermines his own points and validity by putting in political bs. That’s what needs to stop. In my opinion, people would listen to his and other’s points more if they left that stuff out of it. That’s all I was trying to ask of him and others. Carry on...

I agree with you on that aspect. My grandmother alway said that you catch more flies with ho way than vinegar. Trump should do what he is doing but tweeting and antagonizing the people who don’t agree with him doesn’t make sense to me. I think being nice and showing basic respect would win more people over.

#4445 4 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

How are the guys in Michigan?

Sounds like fewer, soon.

#4447 4 years ago

Data is already outdated but...Dang....
463C92C3-2562-42A4-86DA-228408963CEF.jpeg463C92C3-2562-42A4-86DA-228408963CEF.jpeg

#4448 4 years ago

Why has the UK got such a high death rate? 17k cases and 1k deaths that’s insane yet the state’s has like 100k cases and 600 odd deaths?

#4449 4 years ago

An Argument all week, has been issues of blame on Governors.
It has been their Responsibility, not the Federal Govt.

First, was Production Act, The decision Not to use,but put on Standby, to Motivate,
Now is covered by it being used.
The Need for quarantines, was up to Governors, Not a Federal decision, sometimes arguing it was unconstitutional.

So from the same source, Newscorp, and for Some that IS the Wall Street Journal, New York Post,....
Now shares this headline:

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump-mulls-imposing-coronavirus-quarantine-on-new-york-new-jersey-connecticut

Please help me, How can he consider doing this with the Powers he has, but spend a week, with
his media arm saying, he cant, he shouldnt, and any failures belong to the state.

Is this under the declaration of National Emergency?

What does it mean to New Yorkers, and NJ, and CT?

#4450 4 years ago
Quoted from russdx:

Why has the UK got such a high death rate?

Boris was bragging about handshaking days ago

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 89 of 576.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread/page/89?hl=frisbez and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.