272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 576.
#301 4 years ago
Quoted from Legacy:

In case I am missing something here, can somebody explain to me how trying to lock down 40 million people in California is going to work? First, you would need 100 percent participation and we know that simply is not possible. How many rebels are in there? 1 percent only is 400,000 people not abiding by the lock down. Then they tell everyone, "go ahead and stay inside but you can run down to the grocery store to get food" where millions of other people are doing the same thing. I'm not buying it as a viable strategy at all.

Try not looking at it as having to be all or nothing. If you *need* to go to the store, do it quickly and efficiently. Otherwise cut out any unnecessary exposure you can. For different people that will mean different things.

People still have to get stuff done. Remember we are just trying to slow it down.

Any choice you can make to reduce the transmission or exposure is a choice you've made toward the goal.

#302 4 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Try not looking at it as having to be all or nothing. If you *need* to go to the store, do it quickly and efficiently. Otherwise cut out any unnecessary exposure you can. For different people that will mean different things.
People still have to get stuff done. Remember we are just trying to slow it down.
Any chance you can make to reduce the transmission or exposure is a choice you've made toward the goal.

Yep, I still plan on camping at the lake next month weather permitting, and going for my daily runs, etc. I will just have a yard stick with me at all times to smack people across the face who get too close.

#303 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Hah, thats great!

yeah I thought it was kind of funny lighten up in the mood a little bit

#304 4 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

And yet it worked in China, Hubei Province (80 million people in total). Strict enforcement, only the most necessary workers allowed to go out, groceries often delivered home, etc.

My sister in law lives in California. Maybe some others can chime in. Plenty of people still out and about according to her.

#305 4 years ago
Quoted from Legacy:

In case I am missing something here, can somebody explain to me how trying to lock down 40 million people in California is going to work? First, you would need 100 percent participation and we know that simply is not possible. How many rebels are in there? 1 percent only is 400,000 people not abiding by the lock down. Then they tell everyone, "go ahead and stay inside but you can run down to the grocery store to get food" where millions of other people are doing the same thing. I'm not buying it as a viable strategy at all.

It works.....it slows down the rate of transmission. Flattening the curve is key here.

#306 4 years ago
Quoted from Legacy:

My sister in law lives in California. Maybe some others can chime. Plenty of people still out and about according to her.

that's because we're not china...yet.

#307 4 years ago

Yes, they are trying to slow it down so the healthcare industry doesn't get overwhelmed with the first wave.

It may not change how many people end up with it, just not all at the same time.

#308 4 years ago

Doctor thank you so much for being on here and allowing us to ask you questions! I work at 2 Behavior Health hospitals and we are reading and hearing from our Medical doctor there is some optimism about using Chloroquine as treatment for COVID-19. Any thoughts/insight if this is/will be effective? Thank you!

#311 4 years ago

I'm seeing an opportunity for new pin titles.... no licencing required such as...

Contagion, The plague, Lock down, Shelter in Place

#312 4 years ago

We need to improve on our coordinated response. Otherwise we will get more mistakes like this:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-19/trump-told-governors-to-buy-own-virus-supplies-then-outbid-them

#313 4 years ago
Quoted from hockeymag8:

reading and hearing from our Medical doctor there is some optimism about using Chloroquine as treatment for COVID-19. Any thoughts/insight if this is/will be effective? Thank you!

Lead Doctor for gov Fauci downplayed that drug just today with a flat NO.

Said it’s way too early, not nearly enough evidence etc

#314 4 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

We need to improve on our coordinated response. Otherwise we will get more mistakes like this:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-19/trump-told-governors-to-buy-own-virus-supplies-then-outbid-them

Winning!

#315 4 years ago
Quoted from timab2000:

I'm seeing an opportunity for new pin titles.... no licencing required such as...

Or the classic licensed themes.
34588727_sa.jpg;maxHeight=640;maxWidth=550 (resized).jpg34588727_sa.jpg;maxHeight=640;maxWidth=550 (resized).jpg

The-Omega-Man-Poster (resized).jpgThe-Omega-Man-Poster (resized).jpg

#316 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Or the classic licensed theme.[quoted image]

Yea forgot about that one. Awesome!!

#317 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Or the classic licensed theme.

For some reason we were shown that film in 6th grade, freaked me the eff out, I'll tell you that!

#318 4 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

For some reason we were shown that film in 6th grade, freaked me the eff out, I'll tell you that!

Well since we are all sitting around with nothing to do, it would be a good time to catch up on old movies like those, to really get ya going.

#319 4 years ago

It’s official, Illinois now on shelter in place until April 7th

#320 4 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

It’s official Illinois now on shelter in place until April 7th

Good thing they legalized pot.

#321 4 years ago
Quoted from Legacy:

My sister in law lives in California. Maybe some others can chime in. Plenty of people still out and about according to her.

You can still go out, they just locked down typical gathering places to minimize the viral spread. This is done to flatten the curve as others have said so that hospitals don't get overwhelmed, but also to buy time until a solution is found. California officials likely charted the spread of the virus in various simulations and saw us on the path that Italy was, hence smartly decided to lock things down before it spirals out of control. It works as other countries have shown.

Also, while we have much better pollution controls on cars and things like that compared to other nations (which *really* helps with this particular virus), we're also significantly less healthy in general than other nations with high obesity and all sorts of other ailments, so as a nation we are particularly vulnerable.

EDIT: Added a basic chart to show how this works to minize the spread.

social (resized).pngsocial (resized).png
#322 4 years ago
Quoted from timab2000:

Good thing they legalize pot.

First thing I “hoarded”.

#323 4 years ago
Quoted from Tuukka:

Your continuous misspelling "Covad" says it all.

You know what they say; if you can’t spell it, it’s a hoax!

#324 4 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

First thing I “hoarded”.

Iowa is still behind the curve on that

#325 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I'm not saying anything he is saying is wrong, or that he's not a doctor...but do we KNOW he's a doctor? We've had our share of healthcare workers telling us the last 2 weeks that this was overblown and not an issue.

You took the words from my mouth.

Let me see your bonafides. Oh, lemme see, I am on post #1457 in such-n-such thread.

#326 4 years ago
Quoted from timab2000:

Well since we are all sitting around with nothing to do, it would be a good time to catch up on old movies like those, to really get ya going.

i'll be showing Soylent Green in my garage cinema tomorrow. Be there or be square.

#327 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

i'll be showing Soylent Green in my garage cinema tomorrow. Be there or be square.

Yea another good one.

#328 4 years ago

Actually it could be an evil plot to get everyone to do this:

#329 4 years ago
Quoted from Legacy:

Yup, I’m out right now. Texting and driving as well not giving an F

#331 4 years ago

With us all staying home, I have a hard time seeing us staying in bed all day to get over it if we catch it. After all we will be sleeping in and getting all the rest we need everyday anyway.

#332 4 years ago
Quoted from Legacy:

I'll agree with you on the part of the grocery stores. At my store we were getting around 200 people through the door an hour today. You could barley walk through an isle without touching someone. Like sardines in a can.

Quoted from jlm33:

And yet it worked in China, Hubei Province (80 million people in total). Strict enforcement, only the most necessary workers allowed to go out, groceries often delivered home, etc.

It worked for China because they were much stricter. Have you not seen any of the TP madness videos in USA? I'll give a good description of the way people here are in my rant post.

#333 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Or the classic licensed themes.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Loved that movie. I need some squeeze !

How about a pin, instead of Back Hole, it will be Black Death.

#334 4 years ago
Quoted from wolfemaaan:

Ok, confirmed. So not panicking over 2 strains. If that’s increases significantly then I’ll change my opinion

So you and your generation want everyone over 50 to just go away by any means including death by pandemic. And what you and your clueless spoiled generation are going to hit the reset button and run this country? Trust me you guys are not up to the task. Your mommy has been wiping your butt and fighting your battles your whole life. You were told you were always right and great at everything you do. Your parents did you a real disservice. You are an undeveloped adult. Those like you will run nothing.....Now have your mommy make you a sandwich and head back to the basement to rethink your path.

#335 4 years ago

We are leaving France and South Korea in the dust. At this rate, tomorrow the US will overtake Iran and be in position #5 as the testing is getting started.

But don't worry folks. It is under control. I'm sure it will be gone in a couple of weeks.

As for the ratio of deaths to recoveries, the US is not the place to be.

233 deaths vs 125 recoveries.

Screen Shot 2020-03-20 at 3.43.21 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-03-20 at 3.43.21 PM (resized).png

#336 4 years ago
Quoted from Extraballz:

So you and your generation want everyone over 50 to just go away by any means including death by pandemic. And what you and your clueless spoiled generation are going to hit the reset button and run this country? Trust me you guys are not up to the task. Your mommy has been wiping your butt and fighting your battles your whole life. You were told you were always right and great at everything you do. Your parents did you a real disservice. You are an undeveloped adult. Those like you will run nothing.....Now have your mommy make you a sandwich and head back to the basement to rethink your path.

Everyone over 50? Where are you getting your information from?

#337 4 years ago

I'm guessing the leaf blowers across the street did not get the memo. I would hardly call that an essential service at this point.

Now do I have the right to ram that thing up his ass?

#338 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I'm guessing the leaf blowers across the street did not get the memo. I would hardly call that an essential service at this point.

I'm guessing they are just trying to make money while they can.
My landscaper called me two days ago (he never calls me) to see if they could offer any other services on our property like clearing out weeds and overgrowth on the side lots.

#339 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I would hardly call that an essential service at this point.

Might fall under exercise?

#340 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Well I have to say, one would assume you can drive around and not cause any issues, the point is to not group up with people you aren't normally around. I don't think some guy coming to mow your lawn for instance is going to be a concern. Anything that can be done that doesn't require groups of people interacting closely should be fine, it's not an airborne issue. The problem is people lack common sense...

#341 4 years ago
Quoted from Coindork:

I'm guessing they are just trying to make money while they can.

Sure, but they, like every other non essential service have been told to stay home. They go from house to house, gas station to gas station and taco stand to taco stand, then they go home increasing the risk of spreading this shit around.

#342 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Well generally speaking the USA is not the place to be if you have medical issues, unless you are ultra rich. Even normal level "rich" people will typically also have citizenship in Canada, France, Germany or wherever in case you get some ailment that would bankrupt you here. We most certainty still have our Canadian citizenships.

Quoted from o-din:

The lockdown is only for indoor gatherings that have the largest risk of viral spread due to shared air, lots of shared touched surfaces, close proximity, etc. People outside are not an issue. We're still allowed to go outside here, I was just out and people were walking their dogs, etc, but at the same time they avoid going right next to each other. Places like gyms, restaurants, etc are the big risk.

#343 4 years ago

Guys - don't fall for the generational divide/class warfare bait. There are people attempting to use coronavirus to stoke tribalism, probably related more to their politics more than anything they really believe about the pandemic.

Just ignore them, they aren't really trying to create discussion about a topic.

#344 4 years ago
Quoted from Reality_Studio:

People outside are not an issue.

It is when they are doing it as a business and are not any of the exempt services.

#345 4 years ago

I go to the Friday night auctions a local auction house has every week. Usually, I will drive up on Friday morning and see what will be for sale and if it is something I can use. If there is nothing I stay home.

This morning I went to have a look around. The auction house is not busy this time of day so I do not perceive a risk. Friday night is something different. Bidders will be packed in like sardines, sitting shoulder-to-shoulder and coughing on each other. I did not see anything I want or need. I'm staying home

The sign on the door of the auction house is revealing: "due to the cronovirus, no children will be allowed inside. If you want to leave a bid on something see the office." That's it . They are staying open.

The juxtaposition of watching how the need to stay home conflicts with everybody's need to make a living is interesting to watch.

#346 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

It is when they are doing it as a business and are not any of the exempt services.

I'm not sure I agree with this, and probably is something a district would have to clarify. If they aren't actually interacting with anyone, it shouldn't be an issue. It's not about stopping businesses, it's about limiting interaction. The same reason companies that can have their workers work from home can still be in business.

#347 4 years ago

The Auction house is acting irresponsible at the very least.

#348 4 years ago
Quoted from Reality_Studio:

The lockdown is only for indoor gatherings that have the largest risk of viral spread due to shared air, lots of shared touched surfaces, close proximity, etc. People outside are not an issue. We're still allowed to go outside here, I was just out and people were walking their dogs, etc, but at the same time they avoid going right next to each other. Places like gyms, restaurants, etc are the big risk.

We tried this here in germany too with a soft shutdown. But more and more states now go over to a real lockdown. I think we will get this for whole germany next monday.
Scientist now are talking on TV about that we have to consider other options. No country could survive a total lockdown for 2 years and that's what would be needed when we have to lockdown everything. They said intern they are debating to loosen the regulations for new vaccines. So it could be used even with unclear or heavy side effects on people that are in the high risk group. Normaly this would be an absolut taboo.
I think they are right even if it would be a gamble.

#349 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I'm not sure I agree with this, and probably is something a district would have to clarify.

I saw the entire list of exempt services, but am struggling to find it now. I am almost certain gardening businesses were not on it.

Give me some time and i'll dig it up.

#350 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

We are leaving France and South Korea in the dust. At this rate, tomorrow the US will overtake Iran and be in position #5 as the testing is getting started.

To compare countries you should sort by the last column. The country we just passed is China. US only has about 1/4 as many infections per capita as France (but only because we are a week or 2 behind them). See the chart below.

Quoted from cottonm4:

233 deaths vs 125 recoveries.

Recoveries lag deaths by several weeks, since you’re not “recovered” until you’re clear of the virus. Actually there’s no meaningful way to compare any of the columns at this point, because they represent different points in the progression of the disease.
591C82D4-C277-4ECE-8B44-69816F63D242 (resized).jpeg591C82D4-C277-4ECE-8B44-69816F63D242 (resized).jpeg

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 576.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread/page/7?hl=jwjr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.