272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 73 of 576.
#3601 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

The EDD just sent me a message that I will not be required to look for work during this period of unemployment, but that I must be ready and willing to accept work.
Wonder what kind of work they have in mind.

Leaf-blowing

#3602 4 years ago
Quoted from wrb1977:

As soon as political discussions ramp up in this thread tempers flare and it turns into a shitshow.

That's exactly what we're trying to prevent from happening.

#3603 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Sorry Grandma, you need to take one for the stock market.

IMG_20200325_182614.jpgIMG_20200325_182614.jpg
#3604 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I already see them out there...maybe I should go buy them all as the next hoarding investment.

My wife would be “devastated” if she can’t get her Peeps. She has a whole ritual where she opens them and then lets them sit for 2 days before eating them. She claims 2 days is just right...happy wife happy life I guess.

#3605 4 years ago
Quoted from chad:

Odin, we need a Comet update!

I waxed it yesterday, and after pancakes and eggs, I will be rebuilding the pop bumpers. Mission for the day.

Remember, this is not the super sweet Comet, this is the backup unit.

#3606 4 years ago

The Easter Peeps were made a while ago, and there will be no shortage. Just like Reese's is making Halloween candy in a month or so if they aren't already.

#3607 4 years ago
Quoted from wrb1977:

My wife would be “devastated” if she can’t get her Peeps. She has a whole ritual where she opens them and then lets them sit for 2 days before eating them. She claims 2 days is just right...happy wife happy life I guess.

I agree--you need to let peeps ripen for a couple days before they're ready to eat.

#3608 4 years ago
Quoted from wrb1977:

There is a lot of very good information in this thread, I have learned a lot and it has made me think about and understand opposing views. I am very appreciative this thread exists.

Thanks - if anyone wants to filter most of the political talk and seek useful information, don't hesitate to read the "key posts" in that thread (currently 43 out of 3600...). To read them, select "TOPIC INDEX (KEY POSTS)"

#3609 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

The Easter Peeps were made a while ago, and there will be no shortage. Just like Reese's is making Halloween candy in a month or so if they aren't already.

Yeah, with as many of those as they sell every year they should be way ahead on production in preparation for Easter.
Not to mention those things stay good virtually indefinitely.

#3610 4 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I agree--you need to let peeps ripen for a couple days before they're ready to eat.

Ripen!

#3612 4 years ago

They will track us and give your country, state , city a grade on how well people abide by da rules.

https://www.vox.com/recode/2020/3/26/21192653/coronavirus-privacy-social-distancing-data-collection-unacast

#3613 4 years ago

Some "general" info that may or may not have been posted allready, coming to you from my butt sitting working (*cough*) in a local hospital:

Plz note that even if you're not a high risk group, in case of a severe infection, you'll most likely survive but are also likely to stick with a constant lung damage.

To reduce the risk of any inflamation/ prevent that from happening, plz. stroll around for at least 20 minutes a day (and expose some Skin to the sun to genrate Vitamin D, wich reduces Inflammation risk) and... eat a lot of curry, because Cucuma is also very good to prevent getting an inflamation.

This is not some Vodoo mumbo jumbo, it actually helps (you and me):
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1297319X10002708
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19594223

Also of course eat healthy (Vitamin C helps the immune system in general).

Stay healthy!

#3614 4 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

It’s going to be strange having someone competent in the future

Shit, hope you're not talking about the sleepy one!! He's the man. LOL

#3615 4 years ago

The crazy thing is the incubation time for this is up to 14 days, so you won't see any change in the exponential growth for up to 14 days once you put stay-at-home in place. So we won't see any curves flatten for a while. WE WAITED TOO LONG TO LOCK DOWN.

#3616 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Jame's theory of dry weather may hold true. Take a look at Africa, driest continent on the planet. Unfortunately, So Cal has had one of it's wettest winters and springs in a while. Very short periods of dry. But it's starting to dry up now.
[quoted image]

I believe in listening to Dr. Fauci. I was just wondering if the doctor had heard of this. My last theory was us going to Jethro Tull in LA. because it wasn't That far.

#3617 4 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

The crazy thing is the incubation time for this is up to 14 days, so you won't see any change in the exponential growth for up to 14 days once you put stay-at-home in place. So we won't see any curves flatten for a while. WE WAITED TOO LONG TO LOCK DOWN.

I wouldn’t exactly call this a lock down.

#3618 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

They probably have a shelf life of candy corn, forever.

#3619 4 years ago
Quoted from wrb1977:

well good news - they've been on shelves for weeks and I doubt they go bad.

This announcement may spur panic buying however!!! Hope they are limiting sales.

#3620 4 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

The crazy thing is the incubation time for this is up to 14 days

I was thinking about that, and perhaps some people's immune system doesn't react as fast to a foreign invader as others.

Think I got or will get rid of this shit with a sneeze.

#3621 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Really impressed with his press conferences. Any chance you guys would be willing to swap him out with Biden? No givebacks...

“Now look here Jack...”

#3622 4 years ago

Peeps are the new toilet paper.

#3623 4 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I have never heard of that in my life.

They taste pretty "ripe" to me already, lol!

Truthfully, I've always wondered who actually bought them...
I guess we now know.

#3624 4 years ago

Are those peeps made of the same stuff as those sugary foam peanuts?

No thanks!

#3625 4 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Some "general" info that may or may not have been posted allready, coming to you from my butt sitting working (*cough*) in a local hospital:
Plz note that even if you're not a high risk group, in case of a severe infection, you'll most likely survive but are also likely to stick with a constant lung damage.
To reduce the risk of any inflamation/ prevent that from happening, plz. stroll around for at least 20 minutes a day (and expose some Skin to the sun to genrate Vitamin D, wich reduces Inflammation risk) and... eat a lot of curry, because Cucuma is also very good to prevent getting an inflamation.
This is not some Vodoo mumbo jumbo, it actually helps (you and me):
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1297319X10002708
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19594223
Also of course eat healthy (Vitamin C helps the immune system in general).
Stay healthy!

Interesting- but need study which shows reduced inflammation increases chance of CV survival. Ibuprofen is anti-inflammatory but they thought that increased risk. Now, backtracking from that claim- hard to study. You would need to suppress immune response to decrease inflammation- is that good idea in viral situation?

#3626 4 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

It's your president not mine, so I refrain to comment,...
...but beeing who he is he spawned an international discussion about social darwinism, wich really isn't helping.
(I'm sitting, helping out in a hospital at the moment. - On a break.)

They say there is no such thing as bad publicity......

#3627 4 years ago
Quoted from jamesmc:

My last theory was us going to Jethro Tull in LA. because it wasn't That far.

Well, we sure got home in a hurry.

Shit, that's TWO summers ago now.

#3628 4 years ago
Quoted from Trogdor:

Interesting- but need study which shows reduced inflammation increases chance of CV survival. Ibuprofen is anti-inflammatory but they thought that increased risk.

That Ibuprofen thing is hard to explain but yes, in this case it's counter productive.
You can have an inflammation because of different reasons, Ibuprofen won't help you if it's due to a virus (as I understand it at least).

Quoted from Trogdor:

Now, backtracking from that claim- hard to study. You would need to suppress immune response to decrease inflammation- is that good idea in viral situation?

To put it easy (plz note english is not my mother tongue):
Calcitriol connects to Vitamin D and has the effect that the cells know better how to differenciate to... well, what belongs here and what does not.
Therefore it surpresses "unneccesary" immune response AND helps to keep the virus from connecting it's proteins to the cell. Same goes for cancer cells.

"You don't belong here!"

#3629 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Peeps are the new toilet paper.

....that's going to be so very hard to explain to the docs at the E.R.

#3630 4 years ago
Quoted from chad:

They will track us and give your country, state , city a grade on how well people abide by da rules.
https://www.vox.com/recode/2020/3/26/21192653/coronavirus-privacy-social-distancing-data-collection-unacast

From a data analysis perspective, in buildings with more than one floor, it's impossible to tell if phones that are in close proximity are on different floors or not.

#3631 4 years ago
Quoted from pmWolf:

#3632 4 years ago
Quoted from pmWolf:

No where near the strangest thing an ER doctor has had to encounter.

#3633 4 years ago

If this is correct, the stimulus plan is looking way better than I could have ever possibly imagined.

Unemployment: The jobless will be given weekly pay of $600 for four months on top of state benefits.

#3634 4 years ago

You think dogs are hard to train... Look at all the humans who can't sit and stay.

#3635 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

If this is correct, the stimulus plan is looking way better than I could have ever possibly imagined.
Unemployment: The jobless will be given weekly pay of $600 for four months on top of state benefits.

This is what I was referring to. Additionally, apparently you don't even have to be laid off to collect it. You can voluntarily lay yourself off and collect. (at least that's what I'm being told). If this is true, it's going to cause some issues because jobs don't have to hire you back if you do that. I'm waiting for some more information regarding this.

#3636 4 years ago

General Motors just updated its North American manufacturing stoppage from 3/30 to "indefinitely."

#3637 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

This is what I was referring to. Additionally, apparently you don't even have to be laid off to collect it.

Well, I work part time, so don't know what I'm in for, but looks like they might be paying me more to stay home than actually work.

I'm ready, willing, and able to return to work when the boss opens back up, but I'll take what they are giving now.

Our shop is just too high risk for spreading this with the amount of customers and cars that come in every day. We saw the writing on the walls the last week, as elderly, health care workers, and sick people like to come out and get the service done because they are not at work.

#3638 4 years ago

Yes, it looks like the government will be paying the balance on my Rick and Morty.

That is all.

#3639 4 years ago

https://www.opb.org/news/article/npr-read-president-trumps-letter-to-governors-on-new-coronavirus-guidelines/

This just sounds insane to me. Classify risk county by county and encourage only the high risk counties to stay closed? How is that anything other than a recipe to turn all counties high risk?

Maybe just maybe this makes some semblance of sense if we have a robust and rigorous testing regime, but we don’t so....

#3640 4 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

Maybe just maybe this makes some semblance of sense if we have a robust and rigorous testing regime, but we don’t so....

This.
It makes sense focusing on specific OUTRBREAKS, but without quality free tests on demand and accessible health care, it's just a hail-mary to prop up the stock market.

#3641 4 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

Classify risk county by county and encourage only the high risk counties to stay closed? How is that anything other than a recipe to turn all counties high risk?

The thing is, 70% of the population is probably lives a high-risk county now (or will be soon), since this thing seems to be hitting big metro areas first. I wonder how much it's really going to help when the other 30% go back to work.

#3642 4 years ago

If there is one thing this virus is known for, it’s respecting natural and arbitrary borders.

#3643 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

With state benefits plus the $600 I could just voluntary lay myself off and make almost the same I'm making working in a higher risk area. I'll take 4 months paid vacation. It should have been the same as regular unemployment for your pay scale.

Quoted from Zablon:

This is what I was referring to. Additionally, apparently you don't even have to be laid off to collect it. You can voluntarily lay yourself off and collect. (at least that's what I'm being told). If this is true, it's going to cause some issues because jobs don't have to hire you back if you do that. I'm waiting for some more information regarding this.

Inquiring minds would like to know.

#3644 4 years ago

Us just took #2 spot and soon to be #1.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#3645 4 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

With state benefits plus the $600 I could just voluntary lay myself off and make almost the same I'm making working in a higher risk area.

I'll be getting double. I knew this working for almost minimum wage would pay off someday.

#3646 4 years ago

Here's some math on the number of infected in the US by Easter, for various (constant) growth rates. We're currently at a 5-day average of 27%. I only picked Easter because it's a convenient future date (17 days from now). I expect the curve to flatten before then, so hopefully these numbers are useless.

Current # of infected (N): 80,854

r = 10%: N*(1+r)^17 = 409k
r = 15%: N*(1+r)^17 = 870k
r = 27%: N*(1+r)^17 = 4.7M <== current path
r = 33%: N*(1+r)^17 = 10.3M

#3647 4 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

If there is one thing this virus is known for, it’s respecting natural and arbitrary borders.

Well we got those wall parts. Let's get moving them.

#3648 4 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

Us just took #2 spot and soon to be #1.[quoted image]

I just checked, you're #1. In the time it took you to screen cap that and now, 10 more deaths reported in uSA too.

#3649 4 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

I just checked, you're #1. In the time it took you to screen cap that and now, 10 more deaths reported in uSA too.

Who needs the Olympics to show we are world champions?

On the serious side, at least this shows testing is getting done, but...does it really help us to know these numbers since they are only testing the worst cases? Is China even still testing? If they were would they even be reporting?

#3650 4 years ago

This came in an ebay order I received today.

IMG_0515 (002) (resized).jpgIMG_0515 (002) (resized).jpgIMG_0517 (002) (resized).jpgIMG_0517 (002) (resized).jpg
There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 73 of 576.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread/page/73?hl=eightball88 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.