272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 61 of 576.
#3001 4 years ago

Good god, this thread is growing faster then the virus! I step away for 30 minutes and there are 60 new posts!

#3002 4 years ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

Said politician is a fucking moron. The virus doesn't give a shit about age! Yeah so statistically elders are *most* at risk but we're starting to see more "young" people, including teenagers, pass away. So sure, go ahead and kill Gramps and Gran so kids can go back to work taking tickets at crowded movie theaters, because odds are it wouldn't be their grandkids that become the statistic or spread it to their neighbors, right?
It takes a real special kind of brazenly depraved stupidity to rise to the top in today's climate and hoo boy, that one's tough to beat.

I agree with all your conclusions. I would only add that, sadly, there seems to be some kind of constituency for this thinking, depraved as it is. I thought that santelli guy was joking a few weeks ago, but apparently not, and now this.

#3003 4 years ago

I agree , keep the people home. But
what is below really worries me. No cure for that.

#3004 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I'm really not sure. But I do know we can't make any rash decisions and we need to wait and see. Hopefully that proper time will become clear before too long. But we can't just arbitrarily say "Easter!" or "6 weeks!" when we don't even have a solid grasp on any of this stuff yet.
It just doesn't work that way. Let's rely on doctors, health officials, etc. for direction, not the business community.

Agreed...setting an arbitrary date whatever it may be is irresponsible. Once we get a better handle on things and the testing is “caught up” and trends and info analyzed, only then can dates be discussed.

#3005 4 years ago
Quoted from wrb1977:

Agreed...setting an arbitrary date whatever it may be is irresponsible. Once we get a better handle on things and the testing is “caught up” and trends and info analyzed, only then can dates be discussed.

He's a business man. He works on timelines, so this part I get. He wants 'changes' by then. Unfortunately, viruses kind of do what they want.

#3006 4 years ago

Where’s the other $900B going?

95628859-7838-4857-BF00-9337B912C57E (resized).jpeg95628859-7838-4857-BF00-9337B912C57E (resized).jpeg
#3007 4 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

I actually know quite a bit since I've raised a lot of money over the years supporting the arts....why was the Kennedy center spelled out in the bill? Why wouldn't they be treated like all other businesses in the country....no business is immune to these issues including the arts

Yeah, waste of federal funds IMO.

#3008 4 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

That is a Need to know item, and we don't need to know?

#3009 4 years ago
Quoted from bwill:

Here is a partial list list of people on the Kennedy Center Board:
Alex Azar
Mike Pompeo
Betsy DeVos
Melania Trump

Let's be fully transparent.

https://www.kennedy-center.org/about-us/leadership/trustees/

#3010 4 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

See! Drinking a liter of Jack Daniels a day DOES have its benefits!!

rd

In America, that would be a quart.

#3011 4 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Some in the GOP like Lindsey Graham and Meghan McCain have starting calling out “Health vs Economy” as a false choice. There’s no way that things can just go back to normal while hundreds of thousands of Americans are dying.

Where do you see that 'hundreds of thousands of Americans" dying?

COVID-19: U.S. at a Glance*
Total cases: 54,453
Total deaths: 737
Jurisdictions reporting cases: 54 (50 states, District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, Guam, and US Virgin Islands)
* Data include both confirmed and presumptive positive cases of COVID-19 reported to CDC or tested at CDC since January 21, 2020, with the exception of testing results for persons repatriated to the United States from Wuhan, China and Japan. State and local public health departments are now testing and publicly reporting their cases. In the event of a discrepancy between CDC cases and cases reported by state and local public health officials, data reported by states should be considered the most up to date.

#3012 4 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Some in the GOP like Lindsey Graham and Meghan McCain have starting calling out “Health vs Economy” as a false choice. There’s no way that things can just go back to normal while hundreds of thousands of Americans are dying. And while we can’t keep doing lockdowns and social distancing forever, we can do it for a few more months, long enough to give the hospitals and researchers a fighting chance.
I respect that some people believe we can go back to work and still be careful, but I disagree. We’re talking about a nation that’s hoarding toilet paper and fish tank cleaner. It just takes a few fools to make the workplace dangerous again.

Hundreds of thousands of Americans are dying? You may be able to do it for a few more months. But what about those that live paycheck to paycheck? Or say, a waitress that is a single mom that relies on her tips to feed her kid? Just things to think about...I realize things can’t return to normal right now...I’m not suggesting they do. I just don’t know where that break point is? My heart goes out to those not working and those affected personally in any way from this virus.

#3014 4 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

Again, it’s based on the modeling. Not looking at where we are, but rather where we are going to be.

If we open up now (or in the next few weeks) the hospitals will be overwhelmed and the mortality rate will spike significantly.

#3015 4 years ago
Quoted from RWH:

One thing I'm confused about; they said at the start of this that the virus was passed from animal to human and then rapidly mutated where it had the capability to transfer from human to human. Just today though they said scientist are saying it isn't mutating or at such a slow rate that a vaccine would be very effective against it. What?, it mutated in a matter of days before but just simply slowed down or stopped, not making sense to me. Maybe the Doc could enlighten me on this.

So this is a good question. My understanding is the SARS-CoV-2 may have taken some time to develop the ability to infect humans. It seems the two strains were present in China during the initial outbreak so they likely have been present for some time as well in the animal population.

When they make a vaccine they are going to try and target antigens (proteins on the virus that the body’s immune system can recognize) that are common to both strains and thus likely effective against both.

#3016 4 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

Let's be fully transparent.

OK.

giphy.gifgiphy.gif
#3017 4 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

Again, it’s based on the modeling. Not looking at where we are, but rather where we are going to be.
If we open up now (or in the next few weeks) the hospitals will be overwhelmed and the mortality rate will spike significantly.

Right, it’s like space invaders.

Don’t shoot where they are. Shoot where they are going to be.

#3019 4 years ago

It's not hard to see how we get to hundreds of thousands of deaths.

Here's the math on the low end:

330M population * 25% of population infected * 1% mortality = 825,000

On the high end (the "Easter plan"), we might have this by 2021:

330M population * 70% of population infected * 3% mortality = 6.93 million

The higher mortality rate for the "return to normal ASAP plan" reflects hospitals having to turn people away sooner.

#3020 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

In America, that would be a quart.

Why can't liquor bottles be universal in size? Up here we got 4 sizes. 375ml (mickey) 750ml (26oz) 1.14L (40oz) and 1.75L (60oz)

20200325_121725.jpg20200325_121725.jpg
#3021 4 years ago

Welcome back Dr. I do hope that you’re getting some rest, and doing well. I have a question/thought as I was walking my dog..if someone needed cpr, how does 1 (besides chest compressions) go about it? I like the idea of trying to potentially save/help, but wouldn’t want to potentially get them/myself exposed to a virus..

#3022 4 years ago
Quoted from wrb1977:

But what about those that live paycheck to paycheck? Or say, a waitress that is a single mom that relies on her tips to feed her kid? Just things to think about...I realize things can’t return to normal right now...I’m not suggesting they do. I just don’t know where that break point is? My heart goes out to those not working and those affected personally in any way from this virus.

My adult son is in that category, he works at Panera Bread and just had his hours cut from 40 to 20. The math for him and his roommates doesn't work with that kind of income. I've been helping out in a small way by getting something from their drive-thru for lunch every day. I know that it's even harder for single moms.

#3023 4 years ago

"Again, it’s based on the modeling. Not looking at where we are, but rather where we are going to be."

Models are worthless without accurate Data and Responsible Usage of said Data.

We don't have a fraction of the Data we would need to do an accurate Modeling.

#3024 4 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

Unemployment increases for one

#3025 4 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

It's not hard to see how we get to hundreds of thousands of deaths.
Here's the math on the low end:
330M population * 25% of population infected * 1% mortality = 825,000
On the high end (the "Easter plan"), we might have this by 2021:
330M population * 70% of population infected * 3% mortality = 6.93 million

And again, it can’t be stressed enough:

Little Johnny gets hit by a car? Tough shit. The hospitals are full.

People really need to grasp once and for all what this all means, not just for “at risk” boomers but also for each and every person they care about. Even if that’s only themselves.

#3026 4 years ago
Quoted from guitarded:

Every country on the planet has numbers, you have to start somewhere. You can’t just throw your hands in the air and wait in the middle of a crisis. Very Educated guess.

#3027 4 years ago

Wtf is going on in China, now they are reporting a human Hatanvirus death from rats. One died and now they are testing a whole bus load to see if it is spreading human to human.

#3028 4 years ago
Quoted from guitarded:

"Again, it’s based on the modeling. Not looking at where we are, but rather where we are going to be."
We don't have a fraction of the Data we would need to do an accurate Modeling.

Not true, we have lots of data on mortality. I know some people have heroic assumptions about how much better the US healthcare system is, but the fact is that the mortality rate ranges from 1-6% depending on the health of the population and how much we do to slow the spread.

I think the WHO estimate is on the high end here, but it's a starting point for a discussion:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-death-rate/

#3029 4 years ago

Hopefully, some of that money's coming here.

#3030 4 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

COVID-19: U.S. at a Glance*
Total cases: 54,453
Total deaths: 737
Jurisdictions reporting cases: 54 (50 states, District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, Guam, and US Virgin Islands)
* Data include both confirmed and presumptive positive cases of COVID-19 reported to CDC or tested at CDC since January 21, 2020, with the exception of testing results for persons repatriated to the United States from Wuhan, China and Japan. State and local public health departments are now testing and publicly reporting their cases. In the event of a discrepancy between CDC cases and cases reported by state and local public health officials, data reported by states should be considered the most up to date.

A simple Excel spreadsheet can show you that. Say we're generous and double these numbers only every 4 days (I think we are at a doubling every 3 in reality). We would top 100k dead by the end of April.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#3031 4 years ago
Quoted from wrb1977:

Hundreds of thousands of Americans are dying? You may be able to do it for a few more months. But what about those that live paycheck to paycheck? Or say, a waitress that is a single mom that relies on her tips to feed her kid? Just things to think about...I realize things can’t return to normal right now...I’m not suggesting they do. I just don’t know where that break point is? My heart goes out to those not working and those affected personally in any way from this virus.

Give people money. Direct cash to those impacted.

#3032 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Wtf is going on in China, now they are reporting a human Hatanvirus death from rats. One died and now they are testing a whole bus load to see if it is spreading human to human.

Maybe The Happening is finally...happening, except its the animals instead of the plants.

#3033 4 years ago
Quoted from hwyhed:

Welcome back Dr. I do hope that you’re getting some rest, and doing well. I have a question/thought as I was walking my dog..if someone needed cpr, how does 1 (besides chest compressions) go about it? I like the idea of trying to potentially save/help, but wouldn’t want to potentially get them/myself exposed to a virus..

Well, current recommendations for CPR include compressions only because the mouth to mouth doesn’t add all that much to the air flow you get from compressions. I suppose if they had coronavirus they could transmit it during CPR but the risk of that is low vs the potential to save a life.

#3034 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Don't blame the rats.

Unknown (resized).jpgUnknown (resized).jpg
#3035 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Little Johnny gets hit by a car?

Right, then every 2.5 people he comes in contact with also catches car hit by, then they all give car hit by to 2.5 each, cuz car crashes kill people and we don’t care or something....what was I saying?

#3037 4 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Right, then every 2.5 people he comes in contact with also catches car hit by, then they all give car hit by to 2.5 each, cuz car crashes kill people and we don’t care or something....what was I saying?

I knew we were doomed when they started with the carguments

#3038 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Heard about this. Wonder who they will blame now...?

#3039 4 years ago

All Mortality Rates are based on people receiving Treatment.

We have no meaningful numbers with No treatment, which is what will happen when the
healthcare system fails from over load.

Watch the Syrian Camps, and India, all though that is like Somalia in some areas, and we are better off.

We also dont have any idea, what the infection rate would be unchecked, mutations, long term effects.

When Pandemics historically have been untreated, they range from 20%-40% death of a population.
Im certain we will do better.

But whether its 1 Million, or 20 Million, I believe more in locking down, 90 days, Training medical teams NOW, just for the basics, in case they are needed, get a Billion N95 Masks ordered for everyone, and let Global Science do their work. By that time, Healthcare should work, and with Masks, people can be out as they are in Asia today....Singapore, South Korea, and China.
Id rather know a 90 Lockdown, as other countries have done, really will work.

By example, and by History, we, here, by indecision, are making the problem worse.

#3040 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Don't blame the rats.[quoted image]

Oh man Ben, and Willard would be pissed...

#3041 4 years ago
Quoted from chad:

Oh man Ben, and Willard would be pissed...

Ben, the two of us need look no more...

#3042 4 years ago

So just to add to the Infuriation & Corruption Meter (tm), looks like the stimulus is actually going to be bailing wealthy investors. The wording and jargon was purposely obfuscated to make it tough for us common folk to figure it out, but I found this dude on Youtube that explains clearly how we are being ripped off at the 6:31 mark:

Good times.

#3043 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Don't blame the rats.[quoted image]

Wheres Eddie, he usually eats these damn things

#3044 4 years ago

I hate to think all this paid free time is going to run out someday, so I am determined to do at least one productive thing each day until it does.

#3045 4 years ago

I don't know if the Dr covered this already, but they are going back to thinking blood type does seem to have an impact on who gets this worse than others.

#3046 4 years ago

I'm no doctor, but I figure if I keep enough A negative in my alcohol stream, I will be OK.

#3047 4 years ago
Quoted from bwill:

Give people money. Direct cash to those impacted.

Which is what the stimulus deal will do...but that’s only temporary...then what?

#3048 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I'm no doctor, but I figure if I keep enough A negative in my alcohol stream, I will be OK

The virus will see it as unsuitable hosting and go elsewhere lol

#3049 4 years ago
Quoted from wrb1977:

Which is what the stimulus deal will do...but that’s only temporary...then what?

Rinse and repeat until people can get back to work

#3050 4 years ago
Quoted from RWH:

The virus will see it as unsuitable hosting and go elsewhere lol

If only the Red Cross vampires would leave me alone since I donated. Their persistence can make you think twice about ever donating again.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 61 of 576.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread/page/61?hl=eightball88 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.