272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 58 of 576.
#2851 4 years ago

This is US without free press:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN21B2F3

Russia has so far reported 495 cases of the virus and one death, far fewer than major western European countries.

Putin has previously said the situation is under control, but some doctors have questioned how far official data reflect reality, and the government on Tuesday closed nightclubs, cinemas and children's entertainment centres to slow the spread of the virus.

#2852 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

It's the ONLY place that I go for my news. Anything else is fake news!

BRO! There are serious reporters on Fox!

I’m just fucking with ya. More humor.

Well, looks like I squeaked into the married filing jointly category.

A8BF20A2-8810-4391-BA74-DED62BA18511.gifA8BF20A2-8810-4391-BA74-DED62BA18511.gif
#2853 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmaniac:

I've been following this thread (and others that were merged into this one) since the beginning. I have to say, while I generally love Pinside, the moderating on this thread is pretty pathetic. It certainly does not appear to be being applied evenly. One person will make a political statement with no consequence and then the next person is thread ejected.

Depends on who you are....been like that for years.

#2854 4 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

Why is the virus spreading?
Because of idiots like this

John Cusack?!

I know he isn't exactly A-list anymore but this is no way to get attention!!

#2855 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmaniac:

I've been following this thread (and others that were merged into this one) since the beginning. I have to say, while I generally love Pinside, the moderating on this thread is pretty pathetic. It certainly does not appear to be being applied evenly. One person will make a political statement with no consequence and then the next person is thread ejected.

2-hour thread eject!(telling on others)

#2856 4 years ago
Quoted from RWH:

Depends on who you are....been like that for years.

Some moderations are not posted....more warnings....I have a stack on this subject, and am doing my best to behave. Kinda.

#2857 4 years ago
Quoted from belairjoe:

2-hour thread eject!(telling on others)

Redacted

#2858 4 years ago
Quoted from Eightball88:

To be fair, I think said politician only referred to gramma and grandpa possibly dying for the sake of their country’s economy, not young adults. Still a bit depraved IMO.

The virus doesn't give a shit about age! Yeah so statistically elders are *most* at risk but we're starting to see more "young" people, including teenagers, pass away. So sure, go ahead and kill Gramps and Gran so kids can go back to work taking tickets at crowded movie theaters, because odds are it wouldn't be their grandkids that become the statistic or spread it to their neighbors, right?

It takes a real special kind of brazenly depraved stupidity to rise to the top in today's climate and hoo boy, that one's tough to beat.

#2859 4 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

Well, looks like I squeaked into the married filing jointly category.

I'm wondering about that can you give any particulars. I don't work (retired) but my wife does (for about another week as they let her go) and I was just curious if they'll count me at all? I mean I obviously don't contribute to the economy GNP anymore and let me tell ya when that happens you're left out of a lot of things!

#2860 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

It's the ONLY place that I go for my news. Anything else is fake news!

No doubt Terry.....

#2861 4 years ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

Said politician is a fucking moron. The virus doesn't give a shit about age! Yeah so statistically elders are *most* at risk but we're starting to see more "young" people, including teenagers, pass away. So sure, go ahead and kill Gramps and Gran so kids can go back to work taking tickets at crowded movie theaters, because odds are it wouldn't be their grandkids that become the statistic or spread it to their neighbors, right?
It takes a real special kind of brazenly depraved stupidity to rise to the top in today's climate and hoo boy, that one's tough to beat.

Towing the Line.

I am not sure why Florida Governor hasnt locked the state down.
People from the Northeast have a caravan now, heading to south Florida.
Hotels in Orlando might fill, but everyone will likely be sick.

South Florida, around Mara Largo, and Miami, are hit the worst.

#2862 4 years ago

Looks like we have a giant aid package that just passed. I wonder if we're going to see inflation or if it will be all relative. If we do see it, I hate the fact that I'll be punished for being a good manager and saver with my finances.

#2863 4 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

Looks like we have a giant aid package that just passed. I wonder if we're going to see inflation or if it will be all relative. If we do see it, I hate the fact that I'll be punished for being a good manager and saver with my finances.

Eh, yea, I'm trying to not look at it that way. I've been fortunate, even though I've worked my ass off to be where I'm at and people make fun of not spending every cent you have... I know there's people way more in need than me, so help them. I'll get by. I just don't want all the focus to be on the big companies because time and again they prove they don't see past the $$.

#2864 4 years ago

Sneeze guards coming to Supermarkets!

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/25/business/walmart-kroger-changes-coronavirus-wellness/index.html

Quoted from Tranquilize:

Yes, first its just food, likely 20%-30% jumps on fresh Product categories coming real soon.
May go back down.....

But then again, Gas should be $.99

#2865 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

John Cusack?!

I know he isn't exactly A-list anymore but this is no way to get attention!!

OK, it wasn't just me that was thinking that was who it looked like.

#2866 4 years ago

Here is my puzzle during this lockdown. The stapling of upper GI circuit with bare wire and light sockets completely boggles my mind. I am curious to see how well the ball shows under the play filled with the new clear plastic inserts.

IMG_20200323_151908031 (resized).jpgIMG_20200323_151908031 (resized).jpg
#2867 4 years ago
Quoted from Swainer80:

Here is my puzzle during this lockdown.

Lol good luck that does look bewildering! I wanted to do a swap on one of mine but man I'll just say like it is, it's intimidating to say the least so I haven't!

#2868 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Eh, yea, I'm trying to not look at it that way. I've been fortunate, even though I've worked my ass off to be where I'm at and people make fun of not spending every cent you have... I know there's people way more in need than me, so help them. I'll get by. I just don't want all the focus to be on the big companies because time and again they prove they don't see past the $$.

Oh, I have no issue with helping the poor or small businesses, but most of the aid package will go to corporations that either don't need it or sucked every penny of profit out for execs. Most of these would deserve to fail. In the end, I'll likely have to pony up 20% of my savings to these assholes via inflation.

#2869 4 years ago

I'm just curious but do they have an unredacted version of the bill posted some where? I mean one we can see it all not just key segments?

#2870 4 years ago

About the sincerity of the death count:

I learnt today that the official figures in France only cover deaths occurring at Hospitals. People dying at home are not counted (probably not many) and older people in retirement houses are not counted either! The death toll may be as high as 20-30% in places where very old people are hosted, and over a hundred places may have been infected (out of 700 in Paris/suburbs). In other words, the real death toll may be significantly higher than the current official death count (1,100 as of today).

#2871 4 years ago
Quoted from RWH:

I'm just curious but do they have an unredacted version of the bill posted some where? I mean one we can see it all not just key segments?

Likely have to wait until after it passes the house?

#2873 4 years ago
Quoted from RWH:

If a bill has passed the full version will be made public. https://www.senate.gov/legislative/HowTo/how_to_bills.htm

#2874 4 years ago

since he's been sidelined, dr fauci needs his own podcast.

#2875 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

He spoke at length yesterday in press conference and was on this morning again...how exactly is he sidelined?

He also sounded like he had a cold, voice was pretty raspy last night.

#2876 4 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

have a caravan now, heading

Oh shit! Election year caravan!

#2877 4 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

Oh, I have no issue with helping the poor or small businesses, but most of the aid package will go to corporations that either don't need it or sucked every penny of profit out for execs. Most of these would deserve to fail. In the end, I'll likely have to pony up 20% of my savings to these assholes via inflation.

No offense, but what's the basis of your statement?

So Outback should fail because of this?
Cedar Fair should fail?
Name your favorite hotel chain. They should fail?
Automakers should fold?

It could be an extensive list of companies. I think people assume that big companies are sitting on giant piles of cash. Many of them operate on razor thin margins. And what about all of their workers that will be unemployed - and nobody is hiring since a large percentage of companies folded?

I know it's not popular, but I understand why there is a push to re-open the economy. Say we don't re-open it. What did you accomplish? Saved lives? Ya think? The virus isn't going to magically disappear, no matter how long we socially distance. The only hope is wait for a cure or effective treatment. In the mean time, half the country is out of work. I'm all for trying to control it via distancing, but to remain shut down will have an immediate and long lasting impact.

I don't want to see a single person die. I have a lot of family members that most likely won't survive this. It sucks. I'm not sure that there's a good outcome, again, short of a vaccine or treatment within the next week (unlikely).

#2878 4 years ago
Quoted from PinJim:

think people assume that big companies are sitting on giant piles of cash

Airlines took tax cut and used 96% for stock buybacks...maybe shoulda held a bit in reserves?

#2879 4 years ago
Quoted from PinJim:

Cedar Fair should fail?
Automakers should fold?
It could be an extensive list of companies. I think people assume that big companies are sitting on giant piles of cash. Many of them operate on razor thin margins. And what about all of their workers that will be unemployed - and nobody is hiring since a large percentage of companies folded?
I know it's not popular, but I understand why there is a push to re-open the economy. Say we don't re-open it. What did you accomplish? Saved lives? Ya think? The virus isn't going to magically disappear, no matter how long we socially distance. The only hope is wait for a cure or effective treatment. In the mean time, half the country is out of work. I'm all for trying to control it via distancing, but to remain shut down will have an immediate and long lasting impact.
I don't want to see a single person die. I have a lot of family members that most likely won't survive this. It sucks. I'm not sure that there's a good outcome, again, short of a vaccine or treatment within the next week (unlikely).

Maybe if these businesses would stop buying Starbucks on their way to work every day and keep a 6 month emergency fund, they wouldn't be in this situation? Many of these companies with their hands out spent billions buying stock back during the boom, and saved nothing. Why shouldn't we do to them what the rich people tell ordinary Americans to do when adversity hits? Seems pretty fair to me.

#2880 4 years ago
Quoted from PinJim:

Cedar Fair should fail?
Automakers should fold?

Let's be realistic here. They operate on razor thin margins...except the people in charge. Those are more like anvil margins. Anyone else in the country is told to have a buffer. Where is their buffer? Over expansion(too fast), wasteful spending, and CEO pay. They have tax shelters normal people don't have, etc etc. While these things may not apply to every single large company, it does apply to many of them. They've abused the system, and in most cases, if any of 'us' did what many of these companies do we'd be in jail.

#2881 4 years ago
Quoted from PinJim:

Cedar Fair should fail?
Automakers should fold?

Multiple logical fallicies.. Where to begin. I never named a specific corporation, but let's start with Goldman Sachs? I'm talking the big guys who have stolen from the coffers in the past.

It's not unpopular to want to reopen the economy. Arguments like that make you look silly. I was obviously arguing for a package that does not favour corporations that DO NOT NEED aid.

I never mentioned people dying, and your insinuation that I support that again makes you look silly. Please read, or reread, or improve your reading comprehension if you want to argue.

#2882 4 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Airlines took tax cut and used 96% for stock buybacks.

Correct and I think you both have valid points, we did a bailout once before and it seemed to help but I don't know if this hasn't put some over the edge already where there is no saving point.

Hard to make assessments about this stuff cause no one realyy gives us all the true facts which should piss off all of us.

#2884 4 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

I just hope that the 35M for the Kennedy Center made it in. That helps the poor!

Quoted from Zablon:

Who said he's been sidelined? Let me guess, CNN.

#2886 4 years ago

I step into this thread about twice a day, take a whiff of the general stink, then usually leave without posting. This thread definitely has issues. I mean there are good people on both sides (which just saying this alone will probably get me moderated) but what amuses me the most is how both sides of this debate have both deniers and pundits on both sides... we have conservatives who think not isolating is BS, and conservatives who think not isolating is the bees knees. And we have the liberals who think isolating is BS, and liberals who thinks isolating is what will save us.

But here is where I stand... I think we should try to be smarter about this. We should agree that isolating works, it should be easy to prove that it is the right thing to TRY and do. We should help out businesses and individuals but not with a blank check, but with proper oversight. We should try and fight inflation, we should try and keep the economy up, but not by sacrificing lives, no life should have a price tag on it, no matter what age you are. Youth does not outweigh old age just because they have so much more to look forward to in life, that is a hollow argument. Everyone has the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, no matter your age. We need to come together as a nation, and as a global society, no matter your politic. Somebody saying they are willing to risk their own lives for the “better Earth we need to leave our grandchildren” need to wake up and realize that your grandchildren have been dealt the same hand we all have right now, it may suck, but hey, we ALL had to live through the 2008 finacial meltdown, and nobody had to die to get through that. We need to realize that trying to save an economy that will recover just fine in 10 years is the price of being human on this planet right now. It’s no reason to risk my life, just so your grandkids don’t have to live through a 10 year recession at most. I mean, do people think life is that worthless, that we trade it for some short term profit, just so people are not burdened by a recession? That kind of worship of the dollar is reprehensible. IMHO. I am sheltering in place, I am paying my cleaning ladies to NOT come and clean my house each week, I am donating to charity to help those in need, and I am buying food for the people in my family hit hardest by this whole affair. I am giving back to society by putting limits on my freedom right now because that is the proper societal response to a pandemic. If your opinions differ, OK, but realize that spreading this virus is a death sentence to a fraction of society, and anything that can be done by the many to help the few is not asking too much from me, or those richer than me. Do you not feel a sense of responsibility to do with your wealth that which helps us all? Anyone else want to use this soap box? I am done with it.

#2887 4 years ago
Quoted from RWH:

Lol no, no women do not understand three stooges, like my told me she's busy enough dealing with her own stooge let alone 3!

Now that is funny right there.

#2888 4 years ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

I step into this thread about twice a day, take a whiff of the general stink, then usually leave without posting.

That's where you lost me.

#2889 4 years ago
Quoted from RWH:

Lol good luck that does look bewildering! I wanted to do a swap on one of mine but man I'll just say like it is, it's intimidating to say the least so I haven't!

I finished my Alien Poker PF swap during my lockdown and have a BOP waiting. I'm not rushing in to that one for the same reason! Intimidating...

I've been getting out for some solitary bike rides as well. Yesterday I rode to Mt Vernon; over the weekend I stopped and took this picture of the weeping willows in Spring. Not a bad shot for my old iPhone SE.

IMG_2940 (resized).JPGIMG_2940 (resized).JPG

-Rob
-visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or my replacement LED display boards for model H & model S Skee Ball.

#2890 4 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Airlines took tax cut and used 96% for stock buybacks...maybe shoulda held a bit in reserves?

They didn't have a crystal ball. Imagine a 75% revenue loss. What company could survive that?

Quoted from Zablon:

Let's be realistic here. They operate on razor thin margins...except the people in charge. Those are more like anvil margins. Anyone else in the country is told to have a buffer. Where is their buffer? Over expansion(too fast), wasteful spending, and CEO pay. They have tax shelters normal people don't have, etc etc. While these things may not apply to every single large company, it does apply to many of them. They've abused the system, and in most cases, if any of 'us' did what many of these companies do we'd be in jail.

<Insert any business name here> would fail with a 75% revenue loss. And a lot of companies do re-invest their profits. It's growth.

Quoted from Tranquilize:

Multiple logical fallicies.. Where to begin. I never named a specific corporation, but let's start with Goldman Sachs? I'm talking the big guys who have stolen from the coffers in the past.
It's not unpopular to want to reopen the economy. Arguments like that make you look silly. I was obviously arguing for a package that does not favour corporations that DO NOT NEED aid.
I never mentioned people dying, and your insinuation that I support that again makes you look silly. Please read, or reread, or improve your reading comprehension if you want to argue.

Tranquilize yourself.

#2891 4 years ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

And we have the liberals who think isolating is BS

Sorry, I havent met one. But I agree with Isolation is the best, along with hundreds of Millions of
N95 masks, and more ready for the Public.
This is the way China, South Korea, and Singapore have stayed ahead.
Wuhan opened yesterday, but Everywhere, everyone is wearing N95 while going about their day.
(Of course we have to worry about masks, in the oceans, and beaches at a later date)

#2892 4 years ago
Quoted from PinJim:

They didn't have a crystal ball. Imagine a 75% revenue loss. What company could survive that?

<Insert any business name here> would fail with a 75% revenue loss. And a lot of companies do re-invest their profits. It's growth.

Tranquilize yourself.

Wasnt Free Money from the Government a really bad thing a few months ago, when it was suggested it went to health care? I do remember some words used.....big words.

#2893 4 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

That's where you lost me.

That was his appeal to authority. I'm so smart, I don't even like this thread - and that is why you should listen to me.

#2894 4 years ago
Quoted from rkahr:

I've been getting out for some solitary bike rides as well. Yesterday I rode to Mt Vernon; over the weekend I stopped and took this picture of the weeping willows in Spring. Not a bad shot for my old iPhone SE.

Damn that looks like a good fishin hole! You fish in that lake?

My hats off to all you guys who do the PF swapping, certainly above my pay grade I think lol
Good luck with it and keep you and yours safe!

#2895 4 years ago
Quoted from PinJim:

I get that in the scenario we are in things are in an unknown area. The point is we don't need to hand them free money. We've already seen what they do and who they care about. It isn't the employees.

My thoughts are:

Any provisions need to be a loan with strict conditions. No stock buybacks, no CEO bonus/raises - maybe even drop in pay, until it's paid back.

Not one cent should go to a company that is not based in the US.

We cannot guarantee they won't have to cut employment, but we should have a guarantee that if they have health coverage they get to keep it (for a period of time - due to the current crisis)

#2896 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I get that in the scenario we are in things are in an unknown area. The point is we don't need to hand them free money. We've already seen what they do and who they care about. It isn't the employees.
My thoughts are:
Any provisions need to be a loan with strict conditions. No stock buybacks, no CEO bonus/raises - maybe even drop in pay, until it's paid back.
Not one cent should go to a company that is not based in the US.
We cannot guarantee they won't have to cut employment, but we should have a guarantee that if they have health coverage they get to keep it (for a period of time - due to the current crisis)

I can buy into that. Hopefully those provisions made it into the package.

I worked for a company that slashed salaries by 10% during tough times. While we didn't like it, the alternative was much more frightening. And, they made it back up when things improved.

Scary, uncertain times...

#2897 4 years ago

Some gentle humor...

BCF8DF99-63C3-406F-BBAA-E5FD6629B25A (resized).jpegBCF8DF99-63C3-406F-BBAA-E5FD6629B25A (resized).jpeg
#2898 4 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

I just hope that the 35M for the Kennedy Center made it in. That helps the poor!

Who said he's been sidelined? Let me guess, CNN.

He's not sidelined....fake news....good thing they got that $35M in there for the Kennedy Center...that will really help this mess were in

#2899 4 years ago
Quoted from RWH:

Hope you guys who find such things funny and upvote this do not get touched by this virus, we should have some funny comments then eh?

I'm sure if Crazy Levi was to kick off that some of us could have some fun with that. He would never know and would be just as dead

#2900 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I'm sure if Crazy Levi was to kick off that some of us could have some fun with that. He would never know and would be just as dead

I don't dislike Levi, I just don't agree with him and I'd never wish someone get this virus. My post you quoted was just that we should think about things before we speak when it comes to lives at stake think how'd you'd feel if it was one of your own. I don't care about intent or silly political points it's simply tasteless and uncaring.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 58 of 576.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread/page/58?hl=pinjim and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.