272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 560 of 576.
#27950 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Doesn’t NYC have a mask mandate and vaccine passports??
Aren’t their numbers at an all-time high??

Yes that is pretty amazing, just like Delta & United canceling over 200 flights tomorrow because too many of their 100% vaccinated employees (remember they specified no jab, no job) are out with Covid.

The NFL is in turmoil because many of their 98.9% vaccinated players are all testing positive for Covid. Can someone remind me how many active NFL players died of Covid before the vaccines were available? For that matter, how many NHL, NBA, MLB players also died of Covid? Good thing they all got vaccinated or they might have caught Covid and spread it to other players.

#27951 2 years ago

Odyssey of the seas has an outbreak, 50+ crew members and some passengers all jabbed up. Rinse and repeat. Any bets on when the next variant comes out?

#27952 2 years ago

“You can’t surge a circuit that’s been burned out.”

“ There’s no nice way to put this: In much of the country, the next few months will be a really bad time to be really sick with COVID-19. Or to break an ankle. Or to get appendicitis.”

Amen.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2021/12/our-emergency-rooms-arent-ready-for-omicron/621080/

#27953 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

That means it’s working! Levi tried saying FL and New York numbers are the same. They have to lie to make themselves feel better. Florida and New York are not the same. Florida is doing way better with way less restrictions and less death and sickness.

#27954 2 years ago

Sounds like a ton of people are catching the Omicron variant right now regardless of vaccination status and even being boosted. Thankfully the vaccines still protect against severe illness even if you get a breakthrough case.

#27955 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Whataboutism - the technique or practice of responding to an accusation or difficult question by making a counteraccusation or raising a different issue.

First, let us be exact about what I said:

Quoted from DaveH:

And that is clearly another reason why we should all be wearing masks and distancing... You know... to reduce the chance of catching the deadly virus.

I didn't say a thing about mandates. I said "we". As in the personal responsibility to our society, and personal responsibility to our loved ones to take any precautions we can, lest our people end up in a box. We all know how this virus spreads. We all know how to decrease the odds of that happening. You arguing against them doesn't change them. They are tactics to reduce spreading a deadly virus.

But I will be happy to explore why the NYC mask mandate that was put in 2 weeks too late did not prevent them hitting an all-time high in case numbers. Currently we are aware that Omicron is much more contagious than previous variants. We also know that even though being vaccinated and boosted with give you much better odds of a milder case, you will still be able to spread it, including to vulnerable populations. So although a vaccinated person may not even feel sick, they are quite capable of spreading it.

The current "mask mandate and vaccine passports" isn't actually a "mask mandate and vaccine passports". It is still an either or. A business that requires vaccines does not have to enforce masks. People can congregate maskless when they are vaccinated, which is increasing breakthrough infections. With a mask on, you can go into a Broadway theatre and sit shoulder to shoulder indoors right next to someone with Covid for 2 or 3 hours. And as we are aware, a mask does not work 100%. It can increase your safety time, but a surgical mask or a cloth mask is not going to help sitting next to someone for a couple of hours. If they are infected, odds are pretty good you will be infected.

As we all know, masks are a very politically charged issue. They shouldn't be, but they are. This makes authorities unwilling to declare a full mask mandate. Hopefully by now we have all seen videos of people attempting to protest "face diapers" at Costco or banks. And we have also seen how dangerous those situations can get. Though I have to admit my favorites have been grown men laying down on the floor like 2 year old children.

The first Omicron case in the United States was detected on December 1st. When that happened, we already knew that it was much more transmissible. However the mask mandate didn't come to New York until December 13th. And again, to be clear, that mandate is still vaccinated OR masked. So spreading of the virus will most likely continue at this level (straight up).

We now come to the issues I dislike even more than Whataboutism in your comment. Why are people like you doing this whole state against state thing? Yes, we are a country made up as a collection of states. But why the need to single out other states like this. This variant of the virus is already in all 50 states. And it looks pretty much assured that every state is going to have a tangle with it, including every state that was really bad over the summer. New York was on the forefront of the first wave. Don't you think that bodes poorly for other states soon?

And finally... masks. Let's see if we can find common ground here. Would you agree that masks help stop spreading of the virus by preventing you from breathing it in? Please ignore dicknosing, or improperly fitting masks in your response. Just stick to the simple barrier of properly wearing a well fitted mask. I'd like to hear your response on how much that protects people from your perspective. Feel free to express that in percentage, or the time increase it provides.

#27956 2 years ago
Quoted from BrianJ1337:

That means it’s working! Levi tried saying FL and New York numbers are the same. They have to lie to make themselves feel better. Florida and New York are not the same. Florida is doing way better with way less restrictions and less death and sickness.

And I'm just going to quote this here so I can refer back to it in a month... stay tuned.

#27957 2 years ago

Started with J&J in March - just did Moderna booster + Flu shot yesterday and feel like a million bucks.

Local Walgreens got Abbott Labs rapid covid tests in stock; gotta say I haven't seen olds beserking like that since Cabbage Patch Kids were a thing. I was worried for the safety of the clerk that was stocking the shelves. Also, I guess limit of 4 for some people means your infant is purchasing their own tests? People are fucking weird man.

#27958 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinballs:

An interesting statistic from a real world UK app called 'Zoe'- about 50% of 'colds' caught will be Covid:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-59768366

Quoted from cottonm4:

I got my booster shot 2 days ago.
Jab 1 was OK
Jab 2 was OK
Jab 3 has me on my ass. I have the chills and that weak feeling like when the flu is coming on.
This morning is more of the same. I am living on Alka-Seltzer.
Back to bed.

I have been assuming that I am having a reaction to the booster shot that I got on Tuesday. But I have a runny nose, slight cough, and the chills. This morning is the first since Tuesday that I don't feel like death warmed over.

I'm thinking maybe I should go back to the VA and get their opinion.

#27959 2 years ago

New York lost the alpha fight because they got hit early and had no tools.

Florida lost the delta fight because they had all the tools and declined to use them.

We all will lose the omicron fight. It is the great equalizer.

#27960 2 years ago
Quoted from BrianJ1337:

You say.

Screen Shot 2021-12-24 at 9.55.33 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-12-24 at 9.55.33 AM (resized).png

Screen Shot 2021-12-24 at 9.55.55 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-12-24 at 9.55.55 AM (resized).png

Screen Shot 2021-12-24 at 9.54.18 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-12-24 at 9.54.18 AM (resized).png

Screen Shot 2021-12-24 at 9.54.35 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-12-24 at 9.54.35 AM (resized).png

Screen Shot 2021-12-24 at 9.55.02 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-12-24 at 9.55.02 AM (resized).png

Screen Shot 2021-12-24 at 9.55.20 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-12-24 at 9.55.20 AM (resized).png

#27961 2 years ago

I’m crossing my fingers that the early data on Omicron being less virulent hold true. If not we are in for another bad spike.

#27962 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

You say.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1109011/coronavirus-covid19-death-rates-us-by-state/

As of now NY has 11 additional deaths per 100k, that is a lot. That's comparing draconian passports, mask mandates higher vax intakes and more vs. ALMOST NOTHING aside from 15 days in the beginning. You can go back to my post a few weeks back too when I said Florida will do better than NY with zero mandates. Here we are now.

My point is and has been, mandates and movement passports aren't doing JACK to stop covid and doubling down on these insane measures will only backfire in the long run.

#27963 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

You say.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Wow! Look at those statistics!

Florida is a diseased hellhole!

Glad I’m safer here in New York City!l

All kidding aside, let’s take a little time off from wishing death and disease on the states of our enemies and wish each other a merry Christmas, happy holidays, and a lovely New Years!

I know we are all in for a prosperous and cooperative 2022, as we continue to pull together to defeat this pandemic with kindness, science, and logic.

Happy holidays covid thread! You are the gift that keeps giving all year round, year after year after year.

#27964 2 years ago
Quoted from BrianJ1337:

I remember Levi saying we can only look at now.

Let’s look at now.

NY is taking it on the chin, even with all the restrictions.

#27965 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

You say.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

NY is highly undercounted due to lack of testing early on….

Let’s not let that fact get in the way.

#27966 2 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

I’m crossing my fingers that the early data on Omicron being less virulent hold true. If not we are in for another bad spike.

I recently recovered from covid. The symptoms I had and told health Canada When they called me 3 times, seemed closer to Omnicron. I was double vaccinated. No headache..seemed more like common cold, no cough but very bad runny nose.

#27967 2 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Whataboutism - the technique or practice of responding to an accusation or difficult question by making a counteraccusation or raising a different issue.
First, let us be exact about what I said:

I didn't say a thing about mandates. I said "we". As in the personal responsibility to our society, and personal responsibility to our loved ones to take any precautions we can, lest our people end up in a box. We all know how this virus spreads. We all know how to decrease the odds of that happening. You arguing against them doesn't change them. They are tactics to reduce spreading a deadly virus.
But I will be happy to explore why the NYC mask mandate that was put in 2 weeks too late did not prevent them hitting an all-time high in case numbers. Currently we are aware that Omicron is much more contagious than previous variants. We also know that even though being vaccinated and boosted with give you much better odds of a milder case, you will still be able to spread it, including to vulnerable populations. So although a vaccinated person may not even feel sick, they are quite capable of spreading it.
The current "mask mandate and vaccine passports" isn't actually a "mask mandate and vaccine passports". It is still an either or. A business that requires vaccines does not have to enforce masks. People can congregate maskless when they are vaccinated, which is increasing breakthrough infections. With a mask on, you can go into a Broadway theatre and sit shoulder to shoulder indoors right next to someone with Covid for 2 or 3 hours. And as we are aware, a mask does not work 100%. It can increase your safety time, but a surgical mask or a cloth mask is not going to help sitting next to someone for a couple of hours. If they are infected, odds are pretty good you will be infected.
As we all know, masks are a very politically charged issue. They shouldn't be, but they are. This makes authorities unwilling to declare a full mask mandate. Hopefully by now we have all seen videos of people attempting to protest "face diapers" at Costco or banks. And we have also seen how dangerous those situations can get. Though I have to admit my favorites have been grown men laying down on the floor like 2 year old children.
The first Omicron case in the United States was detected on December 1st. When that happened, we already knew that it was much more transmissible. However the mask mandate didn't come to New York until December 13th. And again, to be clear, that mandate is still vaccinated OR masked. So spreading of the virus will most likely continue at this level (straight up).
We now come to the issues I dislike even more than Whataboutism in your comment. Why are people like you doing this whole state against state thing? Yes, we are a country made up as a collection of states. But why the need to single out other states like this. This variant of the virus is already in all 50 states. And it looks pretty much assured that every state is going to have a tangle with it, including every state that was really bad over the summer. New York was on the forefront of the first wave. Don't you think that bodes poorly for other states soon?
And finally... masks. Let's see if we can find common ground here. Would you agree that masks help stop spreading of the virus by preventing you from breathing it in? Please ignore dicknosing, or improperly fitting masks in your response. Just stick to the simple barrier of properly wearing a well fitted mask. I'd like to hear your response on how much that protects people from your perspective. Feel free to express that in percentage, or the time increase it provides.

Last I checked. NY has a mask mandate and the city has a vaccine passport. And NYC is at an all-time high.

So as I’ve always said. Outside of N95, the masks don’t work.

#27968 2 years ago

Well first post here. ...fully vaccinated in January, boosted in October, wear a mask constantly ( hospital guy). Tested negative at least 20 times in between...

Woke w blinding headache Wednesday, tested as a precaution Thursday ( family coming to town)...came back positive.

Don't believe I'll need clinical care ( yet) , just giving an fyi that chances are close to 100% everyone is going to get hit w this....

Not going to be a great few months I'm afraid...

#27969 2 years ago

Right, I think it is best to compare each region by each wave. Then when this is all over we can compare the season.

Ex: It really isn’t apples to apples comparing March 2020 (alpha) vs September 2021 (delta) vs January 2022 (omicron).

#27970 2 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

I recently recovered from covid. The symptoms I had and told health Canada When they called me 3 times, seemed closer to Omnicron. I was double vaccinated. No headache..seemed more like common cold, no cough but very bad runny nose.

Good to hear! Glad you did well.

It sounds a little weird but if Omicron is actually a low virulence virus we might have gotten really lucky. If it can outcompete the other variants around the globe and become the dominant strain we are in luck, IF it turns out to be low virulence.

#27972 2 years ago
Quoted from BrianJ1337:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1109011/coronavirus-covid19-death-rates-us-by-state/
As of now NY has 11 additional deaths per 100k, that is a lot. That's comparing draconian passports, mask mandates higher vax intakes and more vs. ALMOST NOTHING aside from 15 days in the beginning. You can go back to my post a few weeks back too when I said Florida will do better than NY with zero mandates. Here we are now.
My point is and has been, mandates and movement passports aren't doing JACK to stop covid and doubling down on these insane measures will only backfire in the long run.

There has been exactly 1 cure that has worked each and every time for all previous pandemics:

Hint: Not lockdowns nor masks.

Answer: Immunity.

#27973 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Last I checked. NY has a mask mandate and the city has a vaccine passport. And NYC is at an all-time high.

Yes, you keep repeating bunk science and keep being wrong. You also likely don't wear an N95 mask either.

#27974 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

You say.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

If I'm reading those graphs correctly, looks like NY has 10k more daily cases. The y-axes are not the same...

#27975 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Very interesting answer. It demonstrates complete black and white thinking. Is that why you use so many straw men? Because you are unable to see any gray areas? That explains quite a few of your responses in this thread.

It’s also absurd. You rate everything below an N95 as 0%. Not 10% better than nothing? Not 2% better than nothing? No, you’re rating them the same as nothing.

#27976 2 years ago
Quoted from BrianJ1337:

Check the stats from Delta forward or just 2021. I don't think going back to March 2020 helps us determine what the current effort looks like.

Florida stopped counting non-resident and non-citizen deaths that occur in Florida ahead of Delta - right around August 2021. Spending the winter in sunny Florida to escape Wisconsin snow and die of Covid? Sorry buddy, you died somewhere else. Not sure how NY counts those deaths or if there have been changes.

If you ever get around to checking deaths and disability from Covid in vaccinated vs unvaccinated, it could change your mind about the vaccine effectiveness. But if not, that's cool too.

NY has big emphasis and incentives around vaccination and mitigation. Florida downplayed vaccination and abandoned/punished mitigation efforts. FL emphasized opening up everything and to promote monoclonal ab treatment in case of infection. The regeneron treatment apparently does not help with Omicron, so I don't know what will happen to those who went with no vax and ab treatment as a back up plan.

Either way this pandemic really blows regardless of what state you live in or want to talk about.

#27977 2 years ago
Quoted from BrianJ1337:

Yeah, I really wish we could get everyone to wear n95s.

I haven't been going out too much this past month, playing it safe. Wanted to see the new Spider-man and figured it might be ok with my n95 and catching a matinee. Maybe 10 others in the theater, and 2 people unmasked were coughing the entire movie. Why are people like this?

#27978 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Outside of N95, the masks don’t work.

It's a continuum. Sub-N95 work less well, but still work. Your argument to justify not bothering to wear masks is disingenuous, as I'm sure you realise.

#27979 2 years ago
D42AE000-4859-485C-9293-03BFFB801F48 (resized).jpegD42AE000-4859-485C-9293-03BFFB801F48 (resized).jpeg
#27980 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

So no one wants to admit what the daily cases are……interesting.
Why would any pro-lockdown, pro-mask everything person want to admit that daily cases have crumbled from 180,000 down to 23,000 without lockdowns or mask mandates?

This aged like a fine milk.

#27982 2 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

FL emphasized opening up everything and to promote monoclonal ab treatment in case of infection. The regeneron treatment apparently does not help with Omicron, so I don't know what will happen to those who went with no vax and ab treatment as a back up plan.

Several monoclonals being reformulated for omicron, but as of right now there is only one that works (Sotrovimab) and it is in extremely short supply.

MN has now reached 20% omicron, and so the majority of the infusion clinics are shutting down because using the other monoclonals is ineffective and there isn’t enough Sotrovimab to support 3/4 sites. So yeah, dramatically ramping down interventions instead of ramping up.

Also, they are considering allowing Covid positive but mild/asymptomatic healthcare workers to continue working thru their infections if needed. So that’s fun.

Wife’s normal clinic doesn’t count and the support staff are getting sick this week left and right. (She is on vacation…which may be cancelled, but not until Monday..depends on if a coworker comes up positive).

Pills will be key…assuming we don’t all go through the ringer first. My suspicion is the ringer first. At least the pills should be good for the next variant and the ones after.

#27986 2 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Well first post here. ...fully vaccinated in January, boosted in October, wear a mask constantly ( hospital guy). Tested negative at least 20 times in between...

Woke w blinding headache Wednesday, tested as a precaution Thursday ( family coming to town)...came back positive.

Don't believe I'll need clinical care ( yet) , just giving an fyi that chances are close to 100% everyone is going to get hit w this....

Not going to be a great few months I'm afraid

Be well friend! Avoid sugar, get some vitamin d tablets! Hopefully you're on your way to a speedy recovery.

#27987 2 years ago
Quoted from PinballNewb:

This aged like a fine milk.

And what about my post where I predicted that the cases would go UP in the winter, due to people going indoors? Let's just go ahead and ignore that post.

I'm looking at places like NYC, where according to people here, we all need to mask up...They went a step further...NYC has mask mandates AND vaccine passports...yet, their cases are spiking to all-time highs.

I was told by the experts on here that this could never happen with these kind of restrictions...

Me? I've been consistent. The virus will do what it does. Masks, vaccine passports, lockdowns are ineffective against it. Like every other previous pandemic, they have all ended the exact same way...with enough built up immunity.

Yet, I'm the science denier...

#27988 2 years ago
Quoted from boscokid:

Started with J&J in March - just did Moderna booster + Flu shot yesterday and feel like a million bucks.
Local Walgreens got Abbott Labs rapid covid tests in stock; gotta say I haven't seen olds beserking like that since Cabbage Patch Kids were a thing. I was worried for the safety of the clerk that was stocking the shelves. Also, I guess limit of 4 for some people means your infant is purchasing their own tests? People are fucking weird man.

Almost the same here. Started with the J&J in April. I was hesitant on the booster; then the NFL outbreak happened and I got the Pfizer booster last week. No issue…felt great!!

#27989 2 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Agreed. And it looks like this strain may finally end the pandemic. Seems like 25% of the people I know are either positive of showing cold like signs and not getting tested. Hopefully it burns through quickly and very few deaths.

#27990 2 years ago

Merry Christmas everyone!!!!

Have a happy and healthy one!!!

#27991 2 years ago
Quoted from BrianJ1337:

That's comparing draconian passports, mask mandates higher vax intakes and more vs. ALMOST NOTHING aside from 15 days in the beginning. You can go back to my post a few weeks back too when I said Florida will do better than NY with zero mandates.

Florida does not count positive cases for people that are not full time residents. Those cases are not reported anywhere. That’s why Florida case counts look so good on paper. No mitigation and not counting cases isn’t really a great pandemic strategy.

#27992 2 years ago
Quoted from Friengineer:

Be well friend! Avoid sugar, get some vitamin d tablets! Hopefully you're on your way to a speedy recovery.

Thanks...fever is lower (100d range), headaches tolerable now, but energy is zero, along w incredible sore throat....hit me worse than I thought it would, but grateful...

#27993 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Merry Christmas everyone!!!!
Have a happy and healthy one!!!

You finally said something we agree on.Merry Christmas to all

#27994 2 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Florida does not count positive cases for people that are not full time residents. Those cases are not reported anywhere. That’s why Florida case counts look so good on paper. No mitigation and not counting cases isn’t really a great pandemic strategy.

Back to “Florida isn’t counting right you guys!”
I’ve already gone over that propaganda a few times now.

$10 you can’t tell me another state that does this. Many states count this way but it’s only an issue because Florida, the state that hasn’t curbed our freedom does it too so it is now a problem?

The mortality count is correct. We have 11 less deaths than New York per 100k. With ZERO mandates!

Man you guys can’t get over the fact we’re not all dead yet down here huh? You’re right, The numbers are lying I’m that last surviving Floridian.

#27995 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

And what about my post where I predicted that the cases would go UP in the winter, due to people going indoors? Let's just go ahead and ignore that post.

Are you sure it is the winter and indoors, or the omicron spreading?

#27996 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

NYC has mask mandates AND vaccine passports.

False.

Quoted from Trekkie1978:

I was told by the experts on here that this could never happen with these kind of restrictions...

False

Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Masks, vaccine passports, lockdowns are ineffective against it.

False

Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Yet, I'm the science denier...

True

#27997 2 years ago

Omicron will or already has caused a huge explosion in cases. Breakthrough cases regardless of being fully vaccinated + boosted are going through the roof. My wife, mid 30's, is fully vaccinated + boosted and tested positive this week. She has a rather bad cough and had a bit of difficultly breathing last night. I'm still testing negative and feeling fine. If it wasn't for the vaccine preventing severe symptoms she would probably be in the hospital. I'm hearing similar stories from fully vaccinated friends and family. A friend of a friend in his early 30's and healthy refused to get the vaccine, he's in the hospital right now and begging for the monoclonal antibody shot. Just talked to a neighbor and one of his unvaccinated friends just died a couple days back. Stay safe!

#27998 2 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

for the monoclonal antibody shot

Problem is every hospital network has a different treatment protocol. There are hospitals in my area that do not use monoclonal antibodies.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 560 of 576.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread/page/560?hl=rwmech5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.