272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 552 of 576.
#27550 2 years ago

Robert Downey Jr eyeroll.gifRobert Downey Jr eyeroll.gif

#27551 2 years ago

People detail having Parosima after having Covid. People who have it can detect an odor that’s present — but the scent smells ‘wrong’ to them. For example, the pleasant odor of freshly baked bread might smell overpowering and rotten instead of subtle and sweet.”

#27552 2 years ago

I have a couple patients whose sense of smell is still off 9-12 months after COVID.

#27553 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Hahah that’s just perfect.
Time to stock up on dirt boyos!!

And it’s not just any dirt. It’s landfill dirt. Elevated heavy metals (lead, cadmium, etc). Turning their bodies into superfund sites one scoop at a time.

#27554 2 years ago
Quoted from KerryImming:

I'm still not sure I believe this study.
"Among adults who have not gotten a COVID-19 vaccine, nearly two-thirds (64%) believe or are uncertain about FOUR OR MORE [emphasis mine] false statements about the virus."
https://www.kff.org/coronavirus-covid-19/poll-finding/kff-covid-19-vaccine-monitor-media-and-misinformation/
Scroll down to figure 1 and take the survey yourself.
Ah, how I remember the good old days when the Internet was being born with its promise of bringing knowledge to the masses. Wow, did that ever turn out poorly. "There is nothing good that cannot be used more effectively for evil."

“Ships sail around the world yet the Flat Earth Society flourishes”.

Warren Buffett referring to something else, but fits in well here.

#27555 2 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

For example, the pleasant odor of freshly baked bread might smell overpowering and rotten instead of subtle and sweet.”

Oh, so it smells like Subway restaurants.

#27556 2 years ago

I had no smell at all for a good 6 weeks after COVID, then it was definitely off in a manner for several more weeks. I suppose it has returned to normal now. I got a phantom smell that was like oil burning on a really hot pan - kind of an odd metal-y smell - during the time I could smell nothing at all.

#27558 2 years ago
Quoted from RonSS:

Anti-Covax seems easy enough. I'm certain there are other iterations equally fluid.
How long until the "anti vaxxers" are also all flat Earthers?

All the flat earthers I've interacted with are definitely anti-vax.

#27559 2 years ago

It’s believable. The Kaiser Family Foundation is a legit research organization and is very transparent about their methods, assumptions and limitations.

The methodology section of that link describes how they collected the data and processed it to produce the estimates. It’s not perfect, and ofc that’s why there’s a margin of error.

Quoted from KerryImming:

I'm still not sure I believe this study.
"Among adults who have not gotten a COVID-19 vaccine, nearly two-thirds (64%) believe or are uncertain about FOUR OR MORE [emphasis mine] false statements about the virus."
https://www.kff.org/coronavirus-covid-19/poll-finding/kff-covid-19-vaccine-monitor-media-and-misinformation/
Scroll down to figure 1 and take the survey yourself.
Ah, how I remember the good old days when the Internet was being born with its promise of bringing knowledge to the masses. Wow, did that ever turn out poorly. "There is nothing good that cannot be used more effectively for evil."

#27560 2 years ago
Quoted from roffels:

Yeah, it's certainly a type.

Love this whole "Yeah I'm anti-vax but not a kook!" angle.

There's an undeniable ven diagram between people who believe in almost all kooky conspiracy theories and also think the vax is some kind of poison designed by billionaire leftists. I mean it's not 100 percent but in life almost nothing is.

You either believe in science or you don't. You are either prone to believing bizarre conspiracy theories or you aren't.

There's still kooks hanging around in Dallas waiting for JFK Jr. to come back by the way. I wonder if those folks are anti vax? (that's rhetorical, we all know the answer to that one)

#27561 2 years ago
Quoted from roffels:

So, you hang out with flat earthers?

#27562 2 years ago

The flat earth thing is amazing. People will believe anything.

#27563 2 years ago
Quoted from roffels:

Hard same.

#27564 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yeah, it's certainly a type.
Love this whole "Yeah I'm anti-vax but not a kook!" angle.
There's an undeniable ven diagram between people who believe in almost all kooky conspiracy theories and also think the vax is some kind of poison designed by billionaire leftists. I mean it's not 100 percent but in life almost nothing is.
You either believe in science or you don't. You are either prone to believing bizarre conspiracy theories or you aren't.
There's still kooks hanging around in Dallas waiting for JFK Jr. to come back by the way. I wonder if those folks are anti vax? (that's rhetorical, we all know the answer to that one)

Quoted from NicoVolta:

Someday. someone is going to come around and promise "solutions" for ALL the world's ills and the masses will drop to their knees in blind worship. It is scary to see it in action in this dress rehearsal we have been living through.

#27565 2 years ago
Quoted from RonSS:

If you have known any flat earthers, the end answer to this is always "yes and then no". Flat earthers are fun, but eventually they burn every bridge. Once someone proclaims they are a flat earther, you will eventually lose them as a friend. It is because an actual flat earther cannot change their view, so they must deny facts. And eventually when two people cannot agree on simple facts, any friendship is doomed.

#27566 2 years ago
Quoted from RonSS:

Friends of friends on facebook has introduced me to all sorts of weirdos. The second largest exposure I have to kooks is this probably on this forum ( and thankfully most people here aren't)

#27567 2 years ago
Quoted from roffels:

How do you know they're flat earthers?

#27568 2 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

They're just asking questions!

#27569 2 years ago

Looking like a omicron specific booster is on the table.

Small study prelim numbers: 41x drop in neutralizing antibodies for Pfizer double vaxxed. Granted, this was with plasma in the lab vs real world. Still, very large drop.

Soonish there should be a IHME report on vaccine efficacy overall. Not expecting to be wowed.

At this point, the most I am hoping for is prevention of severe disease after third shot.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/12/07/omicron-significantly-reduces-covid-antibody-protection-in-small-study-of-pfizer-vaccine-recipients.html

#27570 2 years ago

Around here, Walmart has gotten rid of the hand sanitizer dispensers. Walmart employees are masked. And now there someone is standing at the front door offering masks to anyone who forgot theirs. Not blocking your entry or anything like that. Just offering masks to anyone who wants one.

And most people are maskless.

#27571 2 years ago

Those darn massless people! Floating around like that!

#27574 2 years ago
Quoted from poppapin:

How do you know they're flat earthers?

They talk about the earth being flat and how we're all sheep. It could be an elaborate ruse, it's hard to tell parody apart from reality when a person is that deep into it.

#27576 2 years ago

Pfizer is upbeat about their omicron data…but I am not so much.

Basically, third shot vs omicron puts you back at where 2 shotters are vs delta.

If everyone was vaccinated…probably good enough. But everyone isn’t so…problem.

Looks like previous infection roughly translates to a bit better than one mRNA shot…so any of those that got sick and think their previous infection will protect them from omicron…not so much.

With the data coming out of Britain and South Africa on how fast omicron spreads…it’s going to be a real issue to get shots in arms in time. (Omicron is doubling every 3-4 days). Omicron specific boosters will not be here in time to prevent the surge unless we do other things to slow the spread ahead of time.

Also, delta still surging right now so…problem.

I see 3 buckets of people:

Bucket 1
boosted or previous infection + two shots. This group will probably fair ok. Infections yes. Low (maybe very low) hospitalization.

Bucket 2
Two shots or equivalent. I worry about this group. Need more data to see how much they will be like bucket 1 or bucket 3. I suspect bucket 2 outcomes will more heavily depend on pre-existing conditions, or how long ago they got their shots. As in…at risk groups need their boosters now. If everyone was here, I am thinking hospitals could handle the potential caseload.

Bucket 3
Unvaccinated, incomplete vaccine schedule, or previous infection from 3 months+ ago. This group is basically in beach wear in the middle of January waiting to do the polar bear plunge. Maybe lower hospitalizations, but the sheer case count increase will overwhelm that. Also, delta. Fun.

Wonder how many more fed med teams we have in reserve, because I suspect we will need them.

On positive note: Those Covid pills may save us and can’t come soon enough.

#27577 2 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

Pfizer is upbeat about their omicron data…but I am not so much.
Basically, third shot vs omicron puts you back at where 2 shotters are vs delta.
If everyone was vaccinated…probably good enough. But everyone isn’t so…problem.
Looks like previous infection roughly translates to a bit better than one mRNA shot…so any of those that got sick and think their previous infection will protect them from omicron…not so much.
With the data coming out of Britain and South Africa on how fast omicron spreads…it’s going to be a real issue to get shots in arms in time. (Omicron is doubling every 3-4 days). Omicron specific boosters will not be here in time to prevent the surge unless we do other things to slow the spread ahead of time.
Also, delta still surging right now so…problem.
I see 3 buckets of people:
Bucket 1
boosted or previous infection + two shots. This group will probably fair ok. Infections yes. Low (maybe very low) hospitalization.
Bucket 2
Two shots or equivalent. I worry about this group. Need more data to see how much they will be like bucket 1 or bucket 3. I suspect bucket 2 outcomes will more heavily depend on pre-existing conditions, or how long ago they got their shots. As in…at risk groups need their boosters now. If everyone was here, I am thinking hospitals could handle the potential caseload.
Bucket 3
Unvaccinated, incomplete vaccine schedule, or previous infection from 3 months+ ago. This group is basically in beach wear in the middle of January waiting to do the polar bear plunge. Maybe lower hospitalizations, but the sheer case count increase will overwhelm that. Also, delta. Fun.
Wonder how many more fed med teams we have in reserve, because I suspect we will need them.
On positive note: Those Covid pills may save us and can’t come soon enough.

Also looks like covid is mutating into a weaker strand, which was predicted from the start by experts, that looked at history of the other coronaviruses that are circulating.

Notice how this one is resembling the common cold?

#27578 2 years ago

Omicron weaker? Still tbd, but I wouldn’t bank on it.

Problem in SA is the omicron wave tends to be younger and/or more vaccinated/previously infected compared to delta, beta, etc.

once you factor that in, I don’t know if you can really say it is significantly milder.

But, again, it’s doubling every 3-4 days which is significantly higher than delta. So you are going to get higher highs faster.

Second graph blue line is change in cases, orange line is change in hospitalization in SA

7A223850-15DB-45A5-813F-FC1AD52DD695.jpeg7A223850-15DB-45A5-813F-FC1AD52DD695.jpegAFD8A02B-B036-4123-9C44-5E0887B146C3.jpegAFD8A02B-B036-4123-9C44-5E0887B146C3.jpeg

#27579 2 years ago

7B9FC67B-3CF5-42AC-A7A5-F96F1D33FF1E (resized).jpeg7B9FC67B-3CF5-42AC-A7A5-F96F1D33FF1E (resized).jpeg

Just boosted a couple hours ago. On the Moderna track.

#1 in April was bleh. 36 hours of semi-flu weirdness and then *bam* it instantly lifted like nothing happened at all.

#2 in May wasn’t as annoying. 20 hours of not-quite-as-bad symptoms then *bam* gone in a flash again. Love that. I wish normal flu behaved this way instead of gradual recovery and weeks of coughing, etc.

#3 booster today. Expecting it to follow suit and be even less of an annoyance.

Hooray for technology and living in a rich country! We are so lucky.

#27580 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Also looks like covid is mutating into a weaker strand, which was predicted from the start by experts, that looked at history of the other coronaviruses that are circulating.

There is no clear data to support this theory yet. Stop making assumptions based on mass-media reporting. Cite a reputable medial journal or study or be quiet and wait for that definitive data like the rest of us folks who wish to know facts and data.

tl;dr: too early to know

#27581 2 years ago

Also, in general the whole covid will weaken because viruses tend to weaken over time is basically Smith’s law of declining virulence.

Smith has been proven wrong on this time and time again. The evolutionary pressure is to get more infectious, not to get less severe.

Especially in the case of things like covid that spread before the onset of severe symptoms, there is no reason to be kinder gentler. (Or for that matter more severe). Severity changes can happen accidentally, but basically whatever helps it spread faster is the true evolutionary winner.

Delta spread faster AND was more severe than vanilla covid for example. Increased Severity didn’t prevent it from becoming the dominant strain.

#27583 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

1300 people in the United States were shoved into boxes yesterday... I don't see the resemblance.

#27584 2 years ago
Quoted from smalltownguy2:

There is no clear data to support this theory yet. Stop making assumptions based on mass-media reporting. Cite a reputable medial journal or study or be quiet and wait for that definitive data like the rest of us folks who wish to know facts and data.
tl;dr: too early to know

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2021/12/omicron-covid-reinfection-vaccine-protection.html

No case in the US is serious and not one death from omicron (it's in 38 countries).

#27585 2 years ago

Got my Pfizer booster last night. Arm is sore but otherwise I am fine...perhaps a little tired. The person giving the shot said that they have been very busy, but it's all boosters, no new arms getting the jab. Basically, if someone hasn't gotten the shot yet, they probably won't.

#27586 2 years ago

I think this an interesting debate between Allen Dershowitz and Robert F Kennedy about the legality of vaccine mandates. Maybe some others will enjoy. It may help the two sides understand each other more.

#27587 2 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

#3 booster today. Expecting it to follow suit and be even less of an annoyance.

Yee haw! Only symptom is some tiredness. Nothing like the first two jabs. Ahhhh… time for the hot tub.

#27588 2 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

1300 people in the United States were shoved into boxes yesterday... I don't see the resemblance.

Seriously???

Omicron is not the dominate strain in the country yet.

Isn’t it obvious I was specifically talking about omicron???

#27589 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Seriously???

People may be able to get infected with both Omicron and Delta.

Keep wearing n95s out in public.

#27590 2 years ago

Quick hit summary of general consensus on omicron. Consensus is a bit more optimistic than I am, but still a nice summary.

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1468767014881677315.html

#27591 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Seriously???

I just think nobody needs to hear any "this will just disappear" or "looks like it's over!" blind optimism stuff for the 10th time in two years. At this point it just rings hollow, especially when there's hardly any data available to start making proclamations like this. Omicron's been around a week and you are declaring it "the common cold."

Look, we know you want the character dinners back in full force at Disney, without masks ruining your photos with Goofy and Mickey, and we know you never want to be asked ever again to wear a mask in a marathon cattle pen...but unfortunately, you are just gonna have to wait, like all the rest of us, because America is broken and doesn't look like it will be fixed, ever.

As long as 40 percent of this country refuses to get vaccinated or stop getting all of their information and medical advice from crooks, con men, bored youtube incels, and idiots, this shit is just gonna hang around like an unwanted in-law. And you are just gonna have to live with keeping social distance from Snow White.

#27592 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Seriously???

It was completely obvious that you were talking about omicron and ignoring the Covid that is killing people every day. Just as you have shown in the past that you prefer to think of this pandemic as over.

Quoted from Trekkie1978:

180,000 down to 73,000 is still showing the numbers collapsing. Or is a 60% reduction means it has remained the same to you?

When is your end game? We have therapeutics. We have vaccines. Is it just going to be living in fear from covid forever?

You were showing the numbers collapsing during a reduction. Yet now our 7 day average is at 120,000. Or does a 60% increase mean it has remained the same to you? (your own question).

In my opinion it is much too early, and WAY too little data available to be comparing any strain of Covid to a Common Cold. But you do you.

#27593 2 years ago
Quoted from roffels:

People may be able to get infected with both Omicron and Delta.
Keep wearing n95s out in public.

I was specifically talking about omicron.

Still waiting for the day when some people on here stop inventing words I never said.

#27594 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2021/12/omicron-covid-reinfection-vaccine-protection.html
No case in the US is serious and not one death from omicron (it's in 38 countries).

That's your reputable source? Slate.com? What idiocy.

#27596 2 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

Quick hit summary of general consensus on omicron. Consensus is a bit more optimistic than I am, but still a nice summary.
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1468767014881677315.html

That's full of contradictory statements. Basically, everybody is still just offering a bunch of guesses.

#27597 2 years ago
Quoted from smalltownguy2:

That's your reputable source? Slate.com? What idiocy.

They are only reporting exactly what the WHO said.

Doesn’t change what was said.

#27598 2 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

It was completely obvious that you were talking about omicron and ignoring the Covid that is killing people every day. Just as you have shown in the past that you prefer to think of this pandemic as over.

You were showing the numbers collapsing during a reduction. Yet now our 7 day average is at 120,000. Or does a 60% increase mean it has remained the same to you? (your own question).
In my opinion it is much too early, and WAY too little data available to be comparing any strain of Covid to a Common Cold. But you do you.

So when I specifically talk about something, it means I’m ignoring everything else??? That’s ridiculous.

Does that mean I’m ignoring pinball because I was talking about covid?? Grow up.

The unvaccinated are driving the numbers. Not the vaccinated. Do I need to quote everyone one of my dozen posts saying everyone should get vaccinated???? Again, grow up.

#27599 2 years ago

The infectious disease expert who warned us 800,000 Americans would die of Covid-19

"In April 2020, he estimated that there could be 800,000 deaths from Covid-19 within 18 months in the US. That prediction has proven eerily prescient; a year and a half after Osterholm made that prediction more than 793,000 Americans have died from the disease. "

https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/09/opinions/infectious-disease-expert-warned-covid-19-deaths-bergen/index.html

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 552 of 576.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread/page/552?hl=frisbez and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.