272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 546 of 576.
#27250 2 years ago

Going up?

Screen Shot 2021-11-24 at 8.15.44 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-11-24 at 8.15.44 PM (resized).png

Screen Shot 2021-11-24 at 8.16.04 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-11-24 at 8.16.04 PM (resized).png

Screen Shot 2021-11-24 at 8.18.08 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-11-24 at 8.18.08 PM (resized).png

798,000 dead in the U.S.

Do I hear 800,000?

#27251 2 years ago
Quoted from BrianJ1337:

We can't deny at this point that people have died from the shot itself. Stroke, heart issues, GBS and more. If it's rare great but it doesn't stop the spread nor prevent covid sickness and we cannot call it "safe" at least when compared to other vaccines and their side effects.
To try and mandate such a poor excuse for a vaccine should be criminal.

You've said the same thing over and over. You never respond to others questions or what they post or ask you.

Are you trying to convince everyone else or yourself? I don't think you even believe what you post. Somebody else told you what to think and you've bought it.

#27252 2 years ago
Quoted from BrianJ1337:

Isn't NZ like 91% vaccinated? Weird we can't question the effectiveness when we see numbers like this isn't it?
[quoted image]

Their total covid cases to date are roughly the same as a day's worth of new cases in my state. Weird!

#27253 2 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

Yes, three confirmed deaths out of 300 million + US vaccinations. No one is denying that.

If you believe there's only been three deaths i bet you also believe there's a vaccine that can prevent covid.

#27255 2 years ago
Quoted from PinballNewb:

And what does that have to do with who DaveH was addressing? Absolutely nothing.

I think everything.

Why on earth would anyone on this board take medical advice from DaveH??

I have a doctor who knows my medical history inside and out. That’s who I go to for medical advice.

If I want nonsense, there’s more than enough to go around on this board by people who think they are experts.

#27256 2 years ago

I thought today’s theme was literature?

We going back to chart measuring contests now? Ok, cool.

Let’s see New Zealand today is sitting at 37 cases per million and rising. The USA is sitting at 287 cases per million and rising.

New Zealand is averaging 1 death per day for the entire country. Pretty sure my school district alone is averaging that.

Again, how is this helping your argument?

Also FYI New Zealand is closer to 70% vaccinated. Nice try. (USA is sitting around 59%)

Quoted from BrianJ1337:

Isn't NZ like 91% vaccinated? Weird we can't question the effectiveness when we see numbers like this isn't it?
[quoted image]

#27257 2 years ago
Quoted from BrianJ1337:

Oh, complete twaddle. You know shit about Covid in NZ. Is that all you have?
NZ was Covid free for months. When the delta outbreak occurred in NZ in August the country was 20% vaccinated, not 91%. Yes, 3 months later 91% have their first dose, but not fully vaccinated. The cases in that graph are predominantly unvaccinated people. This is well documented because every single case is investigated: Vaccine status, genomic sequencing, contact tracing. That steep upward curve you show amounts to about 200 cases a day. Looks steep when there were previously 0 cases per day. Are you deliberately trying to mislead people? Real life data from New Zealand supports vaccination.
This is the latest info from our Ministry of Health.
Based on the cases in the last fortnight, unvaccinated people are 8 times more likely to get Covid-19 than people who have received two doses, and 17 times more likely to be hospitalised.

#27258 2 years ago
Quoted from frisbez:

You've said the same thing over and over. You never respond to others questions or what they post or ask you.
Are you trying to convince everyone else or yourself? I don't think you even believe what you post. Somebody else told you what to think and you've bought it.

The real question is? Did he bring it? I don’t blame him or Trekkie. Hell I would ghost all you assholes in a heart beat. Typing words ain't shit go out there and do something. Help a fucking person. Be a fucking good friend! Do something besides jacking off and showing how good of person you are. I posted some shit and saved some lives. It’s not a debate it is what it is.

#27259 2 years ago

Happy Thanksgiving all!

I hope you are all staying safe and get to spend some time with your family.

#27260 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

My friend doesn’t need people like DaveH telling him how awful of a human he is due to his own medical condition.

Not once.

If you really need that level of qualification on every statement I make, you are an idiot. Of course there are people that can’t take the vaccine. The size of that group is smaller than the number of people that say they can’t, but of course the group exists.

There are also people that take the vaccine but have compromised immune systems, so their response to the vaccine is muted. I happen to be very closely related to someone in that category. And do you know how we deal with it? Masks and extra far social distance.

People have to deal with all kinds of medical issues every day. I expect that your friend is taking extra precautions due to the fact that he can’t get the vaccine. Because if there is something in the vaccine that he is vulnerable to, Covid would fuck him up worse. And if he isn’t taking every precaution to avoid it, he’s an idiot.

Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Why on earth would anyone on this board take medical advice from DaveH??

Nobody on here should ever take medical advice from me, or anyone else. Not even from PantherCityPins who is actually a doctor. Just like they shouldn’t be taking lessons in humanity or on preservation of a society from you. You are being kind of an ass by calling me out like this. If you have a beef, you could send a PM that I’d ignore.

#27261 2 years ago
Quoted from 7oxford:

Oh, complete twaddle. You know shit about Covid in NZ. Is that all you have?
NZ was Covid free for months. When the delta outbreak occurred in NZ in August the country was 20% vaccinated, not 91%. Yes, 3 months later 91% have their first dose, but not fully vaccinated. The cases in that graph are predominantly unvaccinated people. This is well documented because every single case is investigated: Vaccine status, genomic sequencing, contact tracing. That steep upward curve you show amounts to about 200 cases a day. Looks steep when there were previously 0 cases per day. Are you deliberately trying to mislead people? Real life data from New Zealand supports vaccination.
This is the latest info from our Ministry of Health.
Based on the cases in the last fortnight, unvaccinated people are 8 times more likely to get Covid-19 than people who have received two doses, and 17 times more likely to be hospitalised.

The constant changing of what constitue vaccinated status is changing

It's being talked about that you are not getting fully vaccinated if you didn't get your third shot.

The number of shots you need to be "vaccinated" is growing.

Welcome to the unvaccinated club.

#27262 2 years ago
Quoted from BrianJ1337:

If you believe there's only been three deaths i bet you also believe there's a vaccine that can prevent covid.

Look at the data. Currently there are three confirmed deaths related to the vaccine.

I’m sorry if that upsets you but I don’t make up the data.

By the way, the current vaccines reduce risk of contracting COVID by 2-4x depending on the variant.

So you’re wrong twice in one post. Congrats.

#27263 2 years ago

Maybe we can take the day off on this thread.Go spread joy or whatever it is you want to spread.Happy Thanksgiving all.

#27264 2 years ago
Quoted from Bmad21:The constant changing of what constitue vaccinated status is changing
It's being talked about that you are not getting fully vaccinated if you didn't get your third shot.

There is some merit in that. From day 1 of its approval the Pfizer vaccine was a two dose regimen. The early trial data showed one dose did not provide a lot of efficacy. This is born out in real life data. Our MOH publishes this too as all vaccinations vs cases are tracked. The system is not overwhelm with cases at the moment so the data is pretty reliable
Every new vaccine has a question mark over how long it will last. Sometimes lab tests and mathematical modelling give you a good idea, but at the moment the question is unanswered for Covid. During my life time the recommendations I’ve received for my tetanus booster shot kept changing too. I’ve always thought an annual flu shot gave me good protection. Then I found out the effectiveness may be as low as 30% some years and immunity may last just a few months. Just long enough to get you through winter with a bit of luck.
It is what it is.
I am actually hoping that when oral treatments become available next year, the dynamic will change for the better. Challenge for us will be getting rapid test results. Government also controls purchase and prescription of many medicines. Medical rationing is common. Have to weigh up whether I need to have my own stock pile.

#27265 2 years ago
Quoted from Bmad21:

The constant changing of what constitue vaccinated status is changing
The number of shots you need to be "vaccinated" is growing.
Welcome to the unvaccinated club.

With more information the result changes? That’s insane. What kind of science is that??? Man, what kind of craziness can change a recommendation when more information comes along.

(That’s sarcasm. Please read it with the mocking tone I’m typing it with. Drip it with condescension to get the full effect.)

#27266 2 years ago

Small good news: a USA variant B.1.628 has likely gone extinct. It simply couldn’t compete with delta.

Bad news…Keep an eye on the B.1.1.529 variant detected in Botswana. A bunch of mutations including 32 in the spike protein. Not clear if it can outcompete delta. Not much known about it at all really, but the potential for evasion is there.

TBD.

https://www.sciencemediacentre.org/expert-comments-about-two-sars-cov-2-variants-one-in-botswana-b-1-1529-and-one-in-the-us-b-1-628/

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-59418127

#27267 2 years ago

Second time I heard about a new Botswana variant on the news...starting to spread a “horrific mutation” ?

#27268 2 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Second time I heard about a new Botswana variant on the news...starting to spread a “horrific mutation” ?

Yeah, the news on this has kind of erupted in the last few hours. Not just the more yawn inducing thick read sources.

Some more that I have learned from the firehose of news:

they figured out they can detect this variant (probably will be called nu) via an assay and not have to do a full sequence. This means it will be far easier to track. (Good thing)

so they did that in South Africa and BAM they saw a worrisome spike in nu variant in one province. (See graph. Bad thing)

What is concerning to me is that at least right now the South Africa data suggests it is holding its own competing with delta.

The infected travelers in Hong Kong kept testing negative until they didn’t (one was 4 days negative, 8 tests) and then the amount detected was quite high. (PCR Ct values of 18 and 19). In a similar way delta had increased values compared to vanilla covid. If the past is prologue…

Don’t think we know much of anything about any changes in severity of infection. Delta certainly was both more infectious and more severe. As I understand it, both Hong Kong cases were vaccinated (may/June timeframe) and asymptomatic.

Again, lots of alarmist ways to go with this. We simply don’t know enough right now. A lot of the ingredients are there, but it doesn’t mean the cupcakes are baked.

C0A02668-2229-4B4B-BE3C-E744FEE6FDE8.jpegC0A02668-2229-4B4B-BE3C-E744FEE6FDE8.jpeg

43E38CBF-FE43-4FB9-9917-0A45AFD9105F (resized).jpeg43E38CBF-FE43-4FB9-9917-0A45AFD9105F (resized).jpeg
#27269 2 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Not once.
If you really need that level of qualification on every statement I make, you are an idiot. Of course there are people that can’t take the vaccine. The size of that group is smaller than the number of people that say they can’t, but of course the group exists.
There are also people that take the vaccine but have compromised immune systems, so their response to the vaccine is muted. I happen to be very closely related to someone in that category. And do you know how we deal with it? Masks and extra far social distance.
People have to deal with all kinds of medical issues every day. I expect that your friend is taking extra precautions due to the fact that he can’t get the vaccine. Because if there is something in the vaccine that he is vulnerable to, Covid would fuck him up worse. And if he isn’t taking every precaution to avoid it, he’s an idiot.

Nobody on here should ever take medical advice from me, or anyone else. Not even from Pinball_Gizzard who is actually a doctor. Just like they shouldn’t be taking lessons in humanity or on preservation of a society from you. You are being kind of an ass by calling me out like this. If you have a beef, you could send a PM that I’d ignore.

So let's analyze this post shall we??

Calls me an idiot...I thought one of the rules of pinside was to be nice....

So you say Covid would fuck my friend up worse than the vaccine....

But your next statement is that nobody should take medical advice from you.

So exactly how do you know covid would be worse for him than the vaccine???

The answer is: YOU DON'T! I thought you said we shouldn't take medical advice from you...geez, that didn't even last a second.

Then you go on to call me an ass....pinside rule was to be nice......

I can't take you seriously, because most of your predictions have been wrong. For instance in this post alone, you give medical advice to my fiend without knowing his medical history.....

I'm going to say this again, which the pro-lockdown people love to ignore (and have already ignored what the FDA says in regards to masks), lifestyle choices are a huge factor with covid: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/need-extra-precautions/people-with-medical-conditions.html

Straight from the CDC:
-"The risk of severe COVID-19 illness increases sharply with elevated BMI."

-"Being a current or former cigarette smoker can make you more likely to get severely ill from COVID-19. If you currently smoke, quit. If you used to smoke, don’t start again. If you’ve never smoked, don’t start."

-"Having a substance use disorder (such as alcohol, opioid, or cocaine use disorder) can make you more likely to get severely ill from COVID-19."

-"Having either type 1 or type 2 diabetes can make you more likely to get severely ill from COVID-19." (Type 1 does not apply to my post, thats not from lifestyle).

-"Having chronic liver disease, such as alcohol-related liver disease, non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, and autoimmune hepatitis, and especially cirrhosis, or scarring of the liver, can make you more likely to get severely ill from COVID-19."

As my doctor has told me. If I get the virus, there's 100% chance I will survive because I'm vaccinated, eat healthy, exercise, take my vitamins and am always looking out for my health.

#27270 2 years ago
1845B679-D8F5-45AA-8D2D-18377155BEF2.jpeg1845B679-D8F5-45AA-8D2D-18377155BEF2.jpeg
#27271 2 years ago

BBC:

"WHO says new Covid strain is 'variant of concern'
The World Health Organization says that preliminary evidence suggests that a new Covid variant carries a higher risk of reinfection than other variants.

The variant, currently known as B.1.1.529, has been identified in South Africa, Botswana, Belgium, Hong Kong and Israel.

It has designated it a variant of concern and given it the name: Omicron."

Sounds like a band name.

#27272 2 years ago

Omicron is the official name of the new covid variant of concern.
https://www.ft.com/content/fb7c54a5-7f1a-49d3-9a00-6050f0f26bf4

#27273 2 years ago

Pfizer/Biontech should have data on how much the new variant can evade the immunities in about two weeks.
They say they can have a new modified vaccine to start shipping in about 4 or 5 months from now:

https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/new-covid-variant-south-africa-11-26-21/h_4dc658279877e244b639adf513dd1e01

#27274 2 years ago

Southern Africa travelers to Canada must be tested upon arrival. Not sure if or when Canada will suspend travel.

20211126_150331 (resized).jpg20211126_150331 (resized).jpg
#27275 2 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Southern Africa travelers to Canada must be tested upon arrival. Not sure if or when Canada will suspend travel.
[quoted image]

Yeah…the Hong Kong and Israel data suggests simply testing upon arrival isn’t enough. Need quarantine upon arrival.

#27276 2 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

[quoted image]

Why am I reading that MEME and hearing it in Maurice LaMarche's voice?

#27277 2 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:Southern Africa travelers to Canada must be tested upon arrival. Not sure if or when Canada will suspend travel.
[quoted image]

Just heard on the local news that Canada has also issued travel restrictions (On KTLA 5 Los Angeles @ 1:00 P.M.)

#27278 2 years ago

@scottgottliebMD on Twitter is a super source of Covid info in general. He has posted several threads on Omicron today that are helpful.

I don't think it's going to be as scary as the market took it to be today. But who knows. Either way I'm glad to to triple jabbed.

#27279 2 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

[quoted image]

Oaken ...you enter a room with a long boardroom table...I am at one end and must speak loudly for you to hear my voice because you are at the other end. Illuminati themed pictures adorn the walls.
I ask where did this virus originate?

#27280 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

So let's analyze this post shall we??
Calls me an idiot...I thought one of the rules of pinside was to be nice....
So you say Covid would fuck my friend up worse than the vaccine....
But your next statement is that nobody should take medical advice from you.
So exactly how do you know covid would be worse for him than the vaccine???
The answer is: YOU DON'T! I thought you said we shouldn't take medical advice from you...geez, that didn't even last a second.
Then you go on to call me an ass....pinside rule was to be nice......
I can't take you seriously, because most of your predictions have been wrong. For instance in this post alone, you give medical advice to my fiend without knowing his medical history.....
I'm going to say this again, which the pro-lockdown people love to ignore (and have already ignored what the FDA says in regards to masks), lifestyle choices are a huge factor with covid: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/need-extra-precautions/people-with-medical-conditions.html
Straight from the CDC:
-"The risk of severe COVID-19 illness increases sharply with elevated BMI."
-"Being a current or former cigarette smoker can make you more likely to get severely ill from COVID-19. If you currently smoke, quit. If you used to smoke, don’t start again. If you’ve never smoked, don’t start."
-"Having a substance use disorder (such as alcohol, opioid, or cocaine use disorder) can make you more likely to get severely ill from COVID-19."
-"Having either type 1 or type 2 diabetes can make you more likely to get severely ill from COVID-19." (Type 1 does not apply to my post, thats not from lifestyle).
-"Having chronic liver disease, such as alcohol-related liver disease, non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, and autoimmune hepatitis, and especially cirrhosis, or scarring of the liver, can make you more likely to get severely ill from COVID-19."
As my doctor has told me. If I get the virus, there's 100% chance I will survive because I'm vaccinated, eat healthy, exercise, take my vitamins and am always looking out for my health.

Keep your eye on the variants instead of blah blah

#27281 2 years ago

Any word on how this new variant will affect the all important marathon and Disney park universes ?

#27282 2 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Oaken ...you enter a room with a long boardroom table...I am at one end and must speak loudly for you to hear my voice because you are at the other end. Illuminati themed pictures adorn the walls.
I ask where did this virus originate?

I melt the wizard by throwing the thermal pod

#27285 2 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

[quoted image]

And another variant named based upon Star Trek

380701C7-1889-4154-A7FE-17B0162C3E7F (resized).jpeg380701C7-1889-4154-A7FE-17B0162C3E7F (resized).jpeg
#27287 2 years ago

Currently, there are 7.7 billion people of Earth. Somewhere out there, the upper limit of how many people the Earth can support has to be on the horizon.

Perhaps 9 to 10 billion people from this article.

https://www.livescience.com/16493-people-planet-earth-support.html

Maybe this Covid is going to turn into the great herd culler and reduce population the world around ?

Let's see what the Magic 8 ball says.

8-ball (resized).png8-ball (resized).png

#27288 2 years ago

Greek alphabet
noun
the alphabetical script derived from a Semitic alphabet by way of the Phoenicians, used from about the 8th century b.c. for the writing of Greek, and forming the basis of many other scripts, including Latin and Cyrillic. The letters of the Greek alphabet are: alpha, beta, gamma, delta, epsilon, zeta, eta, theta, iota, kappa, lambda, mu, nu1, xi, omicron, pi1, rho, sigma, tau, upsilon, phi, chi1, psi1, omega.

#27289 2 years ago

One thing’s for sure, this new variant will increase the number of people who say “ah, the hell with it” and cast their lot with the antivaxxers. Sad.

#27290 2 years ago

Latest data from NZ on cases versus vaccination status.

7EC652F0-7809-498C-B679-DD41CCDBA404 (resized).jpeg7EC652F0-7809-498C-B679-DD41CCDBA404 (resized).jpeg
#27291 2 years ago
Quoted from 7oxford:

Latest data from NZ on cases versus vaccination status. [quoted image]

Don't come spreading your fakenews here: we all know that when a vaccine doesn't prevent 100% it is ineffective </sarcasm>

On a serious note: I can't believe with all the data like yours out there, from so many different reliable sources from different countries, that some people still think it's better not to be vaccinated.

#27293 2 years ago

I had to google Transformers the Movie to confirm that’s not the name of a Transformer. I was thinking of Unicron.

Unicron seems to also have protein spikes. Omicron definitely not as cool.
B954C782-DA54-4FDC-82D0-01B48809B269 (resized).jpegB954C782-DA54-4FDC-82D0-01B48809B269 (resized).jpeg

#27294 2 years ago

AC226CAB-5CBC-40FD-B2C1-C9710DFBD251 (resized).jpegAC226CAB-5CBC-40FD-B2C1-C9710DFBD251 (resized).jpeg

#27295 2 years ago
rsCHr8m (resized).jpegrsCHr8m (resized).jpeg
#27297 2 years ago

Re: travel bans

They don’t work and basically just end up punishing the people of the banned country.

1) they are too late: By the time we figure out a variant/virus of concern, people have been traveling with it for awhile.

2) not 100% compliance: People find a way to travel anyway

Recent evidence, omicron infection in Belgium was from early November and from someone who never went to Africa. They only traveled to Egypt & Turkey but not Sub-Saharan Africa.

Now approx 50 more Belgian cases are being tested for the variant.

#27298 2 years ago
Quoted from sven:

On a serious note: I can't believe with all the data like yours out there, from so many different reliable sources from different countries, that some people still think it's better not to be vaccinated.

There’s more people than ever, there are more
Dumb people than ever, and people are more
Stubborn than ever.

It’s a brutal mix.

#27299 2 years ago
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 546 of 576.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread/page/546 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.