272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 541 of 576.
#27000 2 years ago
Quoted from bonzo71:

My understanding is that the vaccine lowers the likelihood of a serious symptoms only and does little to prevent spread. I was not aware of this and saw it discussed in an interview with Bill Gates from about 10 days ago (link below). I know Bill Gates is not a doctor, but I believe he played a role in the creation of the current vaccine and is the type of person who is aware even if he wasn't the creator. I find it interesting that he believes there should have been more of a push for therapeutics.

A quick search reveals some other details about the effectiveness of the vaccine on transmission. Some studies show you are correct, but only temporarily..some showing there is no difference. Choose the one you like.
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-02689-y
There was a post about vaccine "myths" from a couple days ago and I happen to believe some of them. For example, I am worried about the safety of vaccines to women during pregnancy. Common practice for decades has been to avoid medication during pregnancy, but now it's suddenly ok? It makes no sense to me, but I'm sure many disagree. I've discussed this with a few vaccinated women and most of them say they would have avoided during pregnancy.
So who is right, the people who say avoid medication during pregnancy or the people saying the vaccine is safe for pregnant women? Here is where i get accused of JAQ..

Gates was involved only as a big piggybank. Mostly his name is invoked like beetlejuice, the boogeyman, or the candyman.

Pregnancy is a pretty significant pre existing condition for severe covid.

The vaccines have been shown to be safe and effective for pregnant women.

https://www.ama-assn.org/delivering-care/public-health/what-doctors-wish-patients-knew-about-covid-19-vaccines-and-pregnancy

#27001 2 years ago

Regarding pregnancy, it's important to note that the circulatory system of the mother and baby stay completely separate during pregnancy. Only the smallest molecules can transfer across the barrier. The molecules of the chemical compounds found in most medications are orders of magnitude smaller than vaccines. That's why they can be transmitted to fetuses while the vaccine cannot.

Example: fetal alcohol syndrome caused by the mother drinking and the very tiny alcohol molecules transferring, while the relatively large HIV virus does not infect the fetus in utero.

This is where so much fear and doubt come in for the majority of people out there. While I may have a rudimentary understanding of osmosis, chemistry, and anatomy; I know I don't understand it in detail and trust that the experts do. Most of the populace has such a poor understanding of science, they likely don't think it's much different than witchcraft.

#27002 2 years ago

There was a post about vaccine "myths" from a couple days ago and I happen to believe some of them. For example, I am worried about the safety of vaccines to women during pregnancy. Common practice for decades has been to avoid medication during pregnancy, but now it's suddenly ok? It makes no sense to me, but I'm sure many disagree. I've discussed this with a few vaccinated women and most of them say they would have avoided during pregnancy.
So who is right, the people who say avoid medication during pregnancy or the people saying the vaccine is safe for pregnant women? Here is where i get accused of JAQ..

Flu shots, TDAP vaccinations, etc are encouraged for pregnant women though.

#27004 2 years ago

The American College of OB/GYNs has said they recommend vaccination for all women, including those who are pregnant. This recommendation is based on the following:

1. There is no evidence, NONE, that vaccination has any effect on fertility. 160,000 pregnant women have been vaccinated with no adverse effects to the pregnancy.
2. COVID is far more dangerous to a pregnancy than any risk from vaccination. Pregnant women with COVID are four times more likely to end up in ICU than a comparable women who isn’t pregnant with COVID. Pregnancy increase risk of severe symptoms in COVID.
3. Antibodies are passed to the fetus. This applies to both placental transfer and breast milk.

https://www.ama-assn.org/delivering-care/public-health/what-doctors-wish-patients-knew-about-covid-19-vaccines-and-pregnancy

Please, educate yourself from reputable sources and get off Facebook and the blogosphere.

I mean seriously, if you had to have your appendix removed do you want a surgeon or some dude on YouTube?

#27007 2 years ago

My 22-year-old niece was one of the first women to give birth in the hospital while having COVID-19. This was before vaccines were available. I need to ask her what that was like. Mother and daughter are both fine now.

#27008 2 years ago

Some Nice News out of Portugal. Lisbon is at 98% Vax, and "Back to Normal", at this moment,

Singapore announces the Government will no longer cover medical costs for anyone non vaxed.
With family involved, this is coming here soon, from some insurance companies.
(At least this is the info being discussed in the US at this time)

So, Ill hold true, that those not understanding, or believing in Vax, will Start believing, when it hits the wallet.

My insurance costs rose 50% for 2022, and The answer is Covid.
Thats the effect on costs in Orlando, for those who believe no effect happened here.

(perhaps some that visit Disney should know if you are from Out of State, and get infected or treated, you are NOT part of our data...only your money)

Enjoy the next 6 weeks folks, Business wants your holiday money, and will whitewash the news.
If you arent paying attention, it will be a rough winter.

#27009 2 years ago
Quoted from bonzo71:

Here is where i get accused of JAQ.

I don’t see anything wrong with your questions. I reserve the “JAQ” label for crazy questions like “Why haven’t Bill and Melinda Gates gotten COVID? Did they get vaccinated before the pandemic even started?”

This is a great example of implicitly “Just Asking Questions”. How is this article relevant at all to the COVID-19 pandemic?

#27010 2 years ago

Fixed

#27011 2 years ago
Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

It got worse. I had severe chills for over 4 hours, and aches and pains all night and I just tossed and turned.
Now I have a very bad headache.

That's what happened with my first shot. I felt okay after the shot and then BAM! 18 hours later had the same symptoms (minus the headache) as you did for about 4-5 hours and a moderate fever for most of the day.

#27012 2 years ago
Quoted from bonzo71:

My understanding is that the vaccine lowers the likelihood of a serious symptoms only and does little to prevent spread. I was not aware of this and saw it discussed in an interview with Bill Gates from about 10 days ago (link below). I know Bill Gates is not a doctor, but I believe he played a role in the creation of the current vaccine and is the type of person who is aware even if he wasn't the creator. I find it interesting that he believes there should have been more of a push for therapeutics.

A quick search reveals some other details about the effectiveness of the vaccine on transmission. Some studies show you are correct, but only temporarily..some showing there is no difference. Choose the one you like.
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-02689-y

If you really wanted to know these things you wouldn't be just asking questions on a pinball forum. Those questions have been answered and are super easy to find on the Google. It's way better for the mom and the baby to receive a Covid vaccine than to receive Covid.

JAQ'ers are people who are not asking questions in good faith. They ask the questions as a way to raise doubts or to fortify their 'beliefs'.

#27013 2 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

Weird that i am seeing this post quoting me since it is definitely bonzo’s and not my words.
Is the forum playing tricks on me?

weird. This happened in an earlier post I made too, not sure why. I'll fix it.

#27014 2 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

I mean seriously, if you had to have your appendix removed do you want a surgeon or some dude on YouTube?

Mike, the Pillow guy seems to have developed quite a following. Maybe he has some transferable skills

#27015 2 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

My 22-year-old niece was one of the first women to give birth in the hospital while having COVID-19. This was before vaccines were available. I need to ask her what that was like. Mother and daughter are both fine now.

Pre Delta variant. Would be curious to know how difficult it was then versus now.

#27016 2 years ago

MN currently has the highest covid rate in the country. Hospitals are at capacity, but not overtopped. Virtually no mitigation efforts in place at state level. Begging and pleading sure, but nothing official.

If you have a non covid emergency, you are looking at around 4 hr wait in most regions or a transfer to a hospital hours away.

Urgent care in my region (non emergency, non covid) has had average wait times of 2-4 hrs lately too. So yeah, ask yourself if a little Tylenol and a nap can fix your problem and stay home. Or just do a video visit.

Now for some covid data from Dept of Health (it’s a bit outdated, but the trend is the same):

8C1E46E3-4829-40AC-9829-3A2E5DB2B231.jpeg8C1E46E3-4829-40AC-9829-3A2E5DB2B231.jpegAC790D5C-4D1D-4916-B5EC-9FF12353DFF5.jpegAC790D5C-4D1D-4916-B5EC-9FF12353DFF5.jpeg

#27018 2 years ago

I think I mentioned a childhood friend passed away about a week ago. It’s a chilling reminder we are not through it yet. He was in the hospital battling covid for a month and then died on his birthday.

Anyways I am hoping to verify vaccine Status, so at least I can report that fact.

I got a feeling he was immunized. My guess.

I will bounce back later regarding that I hope. just a chilling reminder.

#27019 2 years ago
Quoted from Mikala:

Stop blaming Florida for everything.

Quoted from Mikala:

Now you all can lay-off Florida and start blaming California and their policies.

Quoted from Trekkie1978:

I was told on this thread, that Florida will only get their cases under control with government mandates. I said the cases will get under control with more immunity.

Quoted from BrianJ1337:

Numbers don't lie but people sure like to make a narrative up that Florida has done somehow worse than everyone else, when you compare the numbers it just doesn't show that especially when you take into account ZERO MANDATES!

Now that Florida is listed as the ONLY state in America to reduce their infection rate to moderate...

Did you know that Florida will only report a positive Covid case if the infected person is a resident of Florida? Come to find out that it is completely impossible for me to catch Covid in Florida and have it be reported in the numbers. If 1000 out of state residents catch Covid at Disney World, the number of reported cases is ZERO. It will only be reported if Florida is your primary residence, no matter how long you were in the state.

If I owned a condo in Orlando but my primary residence was in Massachusetts, I could never count as a Florida case, even if I had been there for 2 months when I caught Covid. They have low numbers because they don't count people.

I had been curious how their numbers not only defy logic, but that they could have the lowest numbers in the country by some measures, while actively work against any mitigation.

#27021 2 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Now that Florida is listed as the ONLY state in America to reduce their infection rate to moderate...
Did you know that Florida will only report a positive Covid case if the infected person is a resident of Florida? Come to find out that it is completely impossible for me to catch Covid in Florida and have it be reported in the numbers. If 1000 out of state residents catch Covid at Disney World, the number of reported cases is ZERO. It will only be reported if Florida is your primary residence, no matter how long you were in the state.
If I owned a condo in Orlando but my primary residence was in Massachusetts, I could never count as a Florida case, even if I had been there for 2 months when I caught Covid. They have low numbers because they don't count people.
I had been curious how their numbers not only defy logic, but that they could have the lowest numbers in the country by some measures, while actively work against any mitigation.

I agree that a uniform reporting standard would be nice. Especially for data hounds like me. Not perfect, but better than the current 50 individual state solution.

If we counted folks where they got tested, people would yell about all the border hoppers. “Testing available only for locals” type shenanigans. If we go based on residence, people will yell about snowbirds and the like.

Heck if I know which way is better, but one or the other would be nice.

Fun edge case is Gibraltar. It counts the numbers based on what happens on the island, regardless of whether you are a resident or not. So if you just look at stat compilers, you can get things like over 100% vaccinated, since they vaccinated more people than actually live there (folks that travel in for work, on vacation, etc…).

MN is worse off than Florida today. No if’s ands or buts about that right now. As I have said before, my unhappiness with Florida’s response is not an exclusive club. I don’t grade on a curve. We can all fail together if we try hard enough.

#27022 2 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

NJ counts residents that live out of state as part of the vaccine totals. So the 6+ million NJ residents that are vaccinated, are all not physically located in NJ.

Waiting to see if there’s outrage over this…………which, I know there won’t be.

#27023 2 years ago

Seattle's hospitalization and infection rates have been steadily dropping for a few weeks, my dad was finally able to reschedule getting his pacemaker battery replaced before it died and had successful surgery on Friday. It had been previously delayed twice because the hospital beds were full of unvaccinated people with Covid and a few Delta breakthrough cases.

I credit my state's high vaccination adoption rate and masking rules for the dropping infection, hospitalization and death rates. They are going down right as everyone is getting boosters and kids 5 and up are getting vaccinated. As of November 8th, 79.6% of Washingtonians 12 and older had received at least one dose of COVID-19 vaccine and 73.5% of people 12 and older are fully vaccinated.

#27025 2 years ago

My Brother and his family are anti vax anti mask anti everything.I asked him to get the vax many times over and to mask up.He played the just asking questions going to wait and see,Im immune I already think I had covid.Well the ambulance picked him up at home with the Family and hes in bad shape,I hope his wife and children dont need hospitalization soon too.I asked my nephew if they were wearing masks now and he said I guess we should go get some.My parents have also been poisoned by fake news and told me covid would be gone but its all coming up from the border.These are otherwise very educated and intelligent people.I throw my hands in the air.sigh

#27027 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

You seem to be the only person here who is in a constant, 100 percent state of outrage. You are always suggesting we get outraged about stuff but usually it just doesn't seem worth the fire and the fury you seem to think it is. You even found a way to be outraged that you ran the New York Marathon...I think because we weren't all outraged that you did it? Or something like that? still not exactly sure what you were going on about last weekend except for your usual outrage at the lack of outrage.

Like...try not being outraged all the time, it makes it easier to process information. I've had a few moments of outrage and disgust, I'll admit, but you can't spend an ENTIRE pandemic being outraged, it just makes it impossible to really see what's going on.

#27028 2 years ago

Maybe a mandate to standardize state covid reporting including comorbidities and side effects would help remove the political agendas and prevent conspiracy theories. As it is, the opposite is happening.

#27029 2 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

MN is worse off than Florida today

Could that be partly due to the current weather differences? Right now it’s 34 in Minneapolis, 72 in Orlando.

#27030 2 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Pretty sure Florida stopped counting non-resident Covid deaths in August of 21 or so. Just ahead of the Delta wave and snowbird season. No wonder they have the welcome mat out - all the tourist revenue and non-resident labor with none of the bad stats. Catch it in Florida, die in a Florida hospital, and your home state gets the death. Unless your home state doesn't count out of state resident deaths, of course.

#27031 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Could you explain why there should be outrage at it? I mean it really has nothing to do with Florida under reporting the number of cases in Florida.

#27032 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

NJ counts residents that live out of state as part of the vaccine totals. So the 6+ million NJ residents that are vaccinated, are all not physically located in NJ.

What would be the reporting mechanism for this? How would NJ even know if a NJ resident was in Florida or Colorado and got a vaccine?

I live in TN and got my original 2 vaccines while in Alabama. As far as I know TN did not know I was vaccinated. Alabama probably counted me in their vax stats somehow I am pretty sure.

#27033 2 years ago
Quoted from Jamesays:

My Brother and his family are anti vax anti mask anti everything.I asked him to get the vax many times over and to mask up.He played the just asking questions going to wait and see,Im immune I already think I had covid.Well the ambulance picked him up at home with the Family and hes in bad shape,I hope his wife and children dont need hospitalization soon too.I asked my nephew if they were wearing masks now and he said I guess we should go get some.My parents have also been poisoned by fake news and told me covid would be gone but its all coming up from the border.These are otherwise very educated and intelligent people.I throw my hands in the air.sigh

That's awful, sorry you have to deal with that, I hope your family lives through it and learns, albeit the hard way.

It's super frustrating how many people have been duped into believing fake news, from the election was a fraud to Covid isn't real or the vaccine and masking don't work. And like you say, some of these people are otherwise educated and intelligent, yet somehow they've been duped into listening to some dude on the internet over scientists and doctors.

#27034 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

This is logical, think of the cases in Florida.

Lets say 6 people travel to Florida from Delaware, and pretend that Delaware has ZERO cases.

If those 6 people get COVID in Florida and Florida counts it as 6 cases, then those people drive home and still have COVID when they get back in Delaware, it would not make sense to say we have 6 case in Florida AND 6 cases in Delaware. Now we would have 12 cases on the books. The residing state needs to capture records of the individuals regardless of where they are physically standing.

People need to quit picking on Florida, I went down in August and spent a week in St Petes, Tampa, and then drove over to Jacksonville. No problems, masks all over the place, and no difference in how people were acting in public than any other state I've traveled to in the last 6 months.

Its like CrazyLevi always says, they're just living their life

#27036 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Does NJ include “non-resident residents” in both the numerator and the denominator? If so this seems like less of a problem since no one cares about raw #s for vaccinations, it’s all about the percent of population vaxxed.

#27038 2 years ago
Quoted from Jamesays:

My prayers go out to your family.

I will say a prayer for them in church.

Let's all hope they have a speedy recovery.

#27039 2 years ago

Large long term study of covid and kids has launched. 3 yr time horizon, but hopefully some updates along the way.

https://www.nih.gov/news-events/news-releases/long-term-study-children-covid-19-begins

#27040 2 years ago
Quoted from Jamesays:

These are otherwise very educated and intelligent people.

I grew up in the church and religious schools and colleges and I still consider myself a person of faith today. So I can tell you all I am directly in the center of the pond that is full of these anti-vaxers and other such folks. They are not (for the most part) dumb and uneducated. Best I can figure is they have been trained to believe that truth is something that is generally hidden from view and has to be sought out to find it. They believe they are better at determining how to figure these things out, so when 97% of doctors are saying something the truth can't be that simple, it has to be harder than that. So they go looking. And thanks to the Internet they can find whatever they need to feel good about their decision.

I've given up arguing and trying to convince them. That only makes them more entrenched in their nonsense. I personally know of families that have had un-vaxed covid deaths that aren't backing down from the nonsense. Best I can figure they will all need to either die from it, or have enough family and friends die before they will reconsider their position. Or else the government will have to force them to take it. But then, I know people with 6 figure/20+ year careers that are going to let themselves be fired over not getting the shot, so even that isn't going to work.

#27042 2 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Got any links?

#27044 2 years ago

I should clear up a stance that some people seem to not understand.

1. A very small percentage of people are truly anti Vax.
2. Please be aware that being anti covid Vax does not mean you are a covid denier.
3. Yes people have the right to consult with their physician on these types of matters.
4. Some of these Vaccines carry a heart risk in men, don't give me its rare "beep"
5. Despite what's going on Covid is here to stay and getting to zero cases is a fantasy.
6. Measuring a fatality of a virus should not be done by case but death count.
7. Having a heart attack does not count as a covid death.
8. Before you spill "its safe" Remember that the school vaccine list has refined vaccines not, it's just came out vaccines.
9. Masking will eventually lead to a giant super cold because our immune system has not had the ability to properly aclimate to the other viruses.
10. We will need to have natrual immunity sometime in the future starting now unless we want to get off the vaccine and mask mandate.
11. Ivermectin is not a horse dewormer.
12. Masking is becoming just a fashion statement.

I should repeat here, being anti covid Vax and mask mandate boes not render someone a covid denier.
We shouldn't be dealing with young people right now, younger people have more robust immune system, vaxing these people I think is pointless.

#27045 2 years ago

More Than 10,000 Australians Want Compensation for Vaccine Side Effects

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-11-16/australia-faces-compensation-bill-for-vaccine-side-effects-smh

So roughly 1/2500 have lasting side effects? Damn if that’s what you call “safe and effective” you guys would love to try my new skydiving tornado surfing sport I’m working on. It’s safe!

#27046 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Got any links?

I’ll have to look.

It was on a post not approved to be posted.

I do know they now count college kids living in a dorm as part of the vaccinated….but not part of the 9.2 million residents of the state….that increases our percentage.

Anyone notice that NJ and Florida have almost identical daily cases….NJ has less than half the population Florida does.

#27047 2 years ago
Quoted from Bmad21:

I should clear up a stance that some people seem to not understand.
1. A very small percentage of people are truly anti Vax.
2. Please be aware that being anti covid Vax does not mean you are a covid denier.
3. Yes people have the right to consult with their physician on these types of matters.
4. Some of these Vaccines carry a heart risk in men, don't give me its rare "beep"
5. Despite what's going on Covid is here to stay and getting to zero cases is a fantasy.
6. Measuring a fatality of a virus should not be done by case but death count.
7. Having a heart attack does not count as a covid death.
8. Before you spill "its safe" Remember that the school vaccine list has refined vaccines not, it's just came out vaccines.
9. Masking will eventually lead to a giant super cold because our immune system has not had the ability to properly aclimate to the other viruses.
10. We will need to have natrual immunity sometime in the future starting now unless we want to get off the vaccine and mask mandate.
12. Masking is becoming just a fashion statement.
I should repeat here, being anti covid Vax and mask mandate boes not render someone a covid denier.
We shouldn't be dealing with young people right now, younger people have more robust immune system, vaxing these people I think is pointless.

Most of this is wrong. I'm not going to explain. You won't listen anyway.

#27048 2 years ago
Quoted from Bmad21:

Gee, you could have fooled me.

Screen Shot 2021-11-16 at 11.05.13 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-11-16 at 11.05.13 AM (resized).png

Screen Shot 2021-11-16 at 11.05.36 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-11-16 at 11.05.36 AM (resized).png

Screen Shot 2021-11-16 at 11.06.33 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-11-16 at 11.06.33 AM (resized).png

Screen Shot 2021-11-16 at 11.08.09 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-11-16 at 11.08.09 AM (resized).png

#27049 2 years ago
Quoted from BrianJ1337:

More Than 10,000 Australians Want Compensation for Vaccine Side Effects
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-11-16/australia-faces-compensation-bill-for-vaccine-side-effects-smh
So roughly 1/2500 have lasting side effects? Damn if that’s what you call “safe and effective” you guys would love to try my new skydiving tornado surfing sport I’m working on. It’s safe!

Did you even read the article you posted?

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 541 of 576.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread/page/541 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.