272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 53 of 576.
#2601 4 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

Ummm... once again, they started that trash talk with the narrative that the virus was engineered by the US military and planted in Wuhan last October at the world military games.
Some may be okay with that but I'm not. In fact as an American, it pisses me off.

It is what it is. And there is not much anyone can do about it. But if China does not go along with the FAA then it will cause difficulties for at least Boeing. I am not saying it will happen. I am just looking at possibilities.

Before we went to war with Japan we were trading partners. Before we went or war with Germany we were trading partners. It could happen again.

The one that pisses me off is that that the entire world gave all of its manufacturing business to China in the first place. In 2003 the WTO signed off on it. China. A Communist Country has turned into capitalist.

While at the same time we have 60 old embargo with Cuba, another Communist Country, that has turned into a grudge match. I cannot buy a Cuban cigar in the states. But I can travel to Canada and buy one because Canada and Cuba are trading partners. And the only reason we are not getting along with Cuba is because Florida has 27 Electoral votes, IMO.

#2602 4 years ago
Quoted from CanadianGamer:

I hadn’t heard of the Georgia guidestones before, thanks! I read about them, very interesting history and theories behind their purpose.

Georgia’s Stonehenge! Watched a two hour special on Discovery about it. Pretty cool.

Quoted from o-din:

It just hit me. The one thing I forgot to stock up on. Fruit Loops.

I didn’t! And I never knew that Eggo made cereal. Figured I’d give that a whack.

EB514D16-6587-4E32-B255-FF7DD0A13F79 (resized).jpegEB514D16-6587-4E32-B255-FF7DD0A13F79 (resized).jpeg
#2603 4 years ago

Our governor is kicking ass. He's trying to get the state ready for when half the population is infected.

#2604 4 years ago
6AD145BB-648F-432B-9942-603067F36A63 (resized).jpeg6AD145BB-648F-432B-9942-603067F36A63 (resized).jpeg
#2605 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

This reminds me of high school. Instead of going, my buddy and me would sit in bean bag chairs and listen to 20 minute jams. Did they bring back the 70s just for me?

Sitting in a room and quietly listening to both sides of Aqualung with nothing in our hands and a smile on our faces.

#2606 4 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Sitting in a room and quietly listening to both sides of Aqualung with nothing in our hands and a smile on our faces.

That will do it.

#2607 4 years ago

I guess we have to play "Follow the Leader", and we need to change the Title to
"The Official Coronovirus Survival Thread"

#2608 4 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Georgia’s Stonehenge! Watched a two hour special on Discovery about it. Pretty cool.

It's really not.

#2609 4 years ago

I never thought I'd say this, but for you guys in other parts of the country that have not seen one of Gavin Newsom's "this is what we need to do, this is what we are going to do" speeches over the last week or two, IMO, that is how you get things done.

#2610 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I never thought I'd say this, but for you guys in other parts of the country that have not seen one of Gavin Newsom's "this is what we need to do, this is what we are going to do" speeches over the last week or two, IMO, that is how you get things done.

Would you mind sharing a Link to one that gets it done?

#2611 4 years ago

I looked at the recent Hantavirus in Hubei Province. Hanta is an obscure virus in the United States but brought misery to many in the West.

Please watch this and let me know.

#2612 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballNewb:

Luckily for you, Fruity Pebbles are much better.

Those Fruity Pebbles are aptly named they're like chewing little rocks!

#2613 4 years ago

Shit! Not what you want to see after a long ass day. Things are more bleak than I thought.

62EC07CA-002A-439C-80AB-6186E529BB6D (resized).jpeg62EC07CA-002A-439C-80AB-6186E529BB6D (resized).jpeg
#2614 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Newsom’ s press conferences are good, but Cuomo’s are awesome. Calm, direct, informative. No B.S.
And then there are those led by the country’s latest press secretary. :/

#2615 4 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

There's one on right now. Somebody just asked him about toilet paper. He said get what you need. He had to go to four different stores to get some for his family.

#2616 4 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

"Follow the Leader"

Korn’s last great album.

#2617 4 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Newsom’ s press conferences are good, but Cuomo’s are awesome. Calm, direct, informative. No B.S.
And then there are those led by the country’s latest press secretary. :/

My wife told me yesterday that she though Cuomo has really risen to the occasion and is doing a great job.
She’s convinced at some point in the future he will be president.

#2618 4 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Shit! Not what you want to see after a long ass day. Things are more bleak than I thought.[quoted image]

#2619 4 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

A little bit of Locomotive Breath. Yeah. Did you know that when Jethro Tull was starting out they were having a hard time getting established. And for each gig they would use different name. Finally, one night they were playing as Jethro Tull and were invited back. They went back as Jethro Tull and never looked back.

#2620 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

There's one on right now. Somebody just asked him about toilet paper. He said get what you need. He had to go to four different stores to get some for his family.

KY's new governor is remarkably level headed. When it comes to TP, chicken, and other supplies he's been saying every day: "Buy what you need, but only for a week. Don't buy for a month - you're just taking what the next person needs. Our supply is safe, but just buy for you for a week."

If we still had that asshole Bevin, the rambling cheeto might actually look smart.

#2621 4 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Shit! Not what you want to see after a long ass day.

Catastrophic!

#2622 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

It is what it is. And there is not much anyone can do about it. But if China does not go along with the FAA then it will cause difficulties for at least Boeing. I am not saying it will happen. I am just looking at possibilities.
Before we went to war with Japan we were trading partners. Before we went or war with Germany we were trading partners. It could happen again.
The one that pisses me off is that that the entire world gave all of its manufacturing business to China in the first place. In 2003 the WTO signed off on it. China. A Communist Country has turned into capitalist.
While at the same time we have 60 old embargo with Cuba, another Communist Country, that has turned into a grudge match. I cannot buy a Cuban cigar in the states. But I can travel to Canada and buy one because Canada and Cuba are trading partners. And the only reason we are not getting along with Cuba is because Florida has 27 Electoral votes, IMO.

I have a feeling many countries including the US will be reconsidering the extent and depth of manufacturing and business relationships with China after this fiasco is over. Not worth the risk but something about 1.4 billion people makes it hard for some companies to resist.

The reality is a cold war between the two countries had already started before this situation. I think this will really accelerate a deeper freeze after it's over.

Our two countries outside of business ties created by US companies have little in common politically or philosophically and a decoupling I think is inevitable.

#2623 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Fk it.[quoted image]

So are the sky’s in California looking cleaner as a result of this?

#2624 4 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Shit! Not what you want to see after a long ass day. Things are more bleak than I thought.[quoted image]

Deemed essential in Illinois

#2625 4 years ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

KY's new governor is remarkably level headed. When it comes to TP, chicken, and other supplies he's been saying every day: "Buy for yourself, but only for a week. Don't buy for a month - there would have been enough but you're just taking what the next person needs. Our supply is safe, but just buy for you for a week."
If we still had that asshole Bevin, the rambling cheeto might actually look smart.

I’m with you on this one. Beshear has a very calming mannerism. Kinda a model for other leaders, at least in that regard. And he’s realistic on other key issues. Bevin....ugh. Glad he’s gone.

#2626 4 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

Our two countries outside of business ties created by US companies have little in common politically or philosophically and a decoupling I think is inevitable.

I'd like to see the US pull away from the Saudi's. I know it's not going to happen because they're our doorstep into the middle east theater. They do a lot of unscrupulous crap to say the least.

#2627 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

The saving grace for Boeing in that situation is even in long range, the 737 is still a narrowbody short-haul plane. China could say "we're not letting these in" all they want, but it's not like any were flying across the Pacific anyway. It would be a significant market lost, but one China was going to protect via IP theft anyway. Eventually no different than how for many years Russia had its own analogues to Boeing aircraft, and US / Russian planes rarely if ever crossed soil. Actually I guess that's still true, oops...

#2629 4 years ago

Although they are closing all the parking lots, they just showed a surfer getting out say "I don't know how they will be able to keep us out of the water, we'll see"

They invented social distancing.

#2630 4 years ago
Quoted from PinJim:

I’m with you on this one. Beshear has a very calming mannerism. Kinda a model for other leaders, at least in that regard. And he’s realistic on other key issues. Bevin....ugh. Glad he’s gone.

Yeah he is Dbag. I won't talk about it cause this not allowed here. He did my uncle wrong on fair funding for his zone.

#2631 4 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

It isn't as long as capitalism demands profits. Too many companies have made their beds and it's the model we subscribe to.

Here's a sobering fact: it's easy for all of us to bitch about those soulless fat cat CEO's, but if your retirement is based in a 401K, you're beholden to those profit motives as well.

#2632 4 years ago

So, if we move to open season, and Mexico is on Lock down, Mexico will build the wall to keep
us out!

#2633 4 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

So, if we move to open season, and Mexico is on Lock down, Mexico will build the wall to keep
us out!

image.gifimage.gif
#2634 4 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

I have a feeling many countries including the US will be reconsidering the extent and depth of manufacturing and business relationships with China after this fiasco is over. Not worth the risk but something about 1.4 billion people makes it hard for some companies to resist.
The reality is a cold war between the two countries had already started before this situation. I think this will really accelerate a deeper freeze after it's over.

There could be a bit of problem with a kick ass attitude. Its is called natural resources. One that China is loaded up on and we are not is Rare Earth.

Here is a list of 10 countries and their place on the list. The U.S. comes in at #7. #1 is China. For most of the natural resources the U.S. uses, we have to import them. The U.S. and Quatar holds all of the world's helium.

But was far as Rare Earth, China holds all of the cards.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/07/10/wyoming-may-hold-key-to-the-rare-earth-minerals-trade-war-with-china.html

" America depends on China for 80% of its rare earth imports.

And what what do rare earths do?

https://geology.com/articles/rare-earth-elements/

Uses of Rare Earth Elements

Rare earth metals and alloys that contain them are used in many devices that people use every day such as computer memory, DVDs, rechargeable batteries, cell phones, catalytic converters, magnets, fluorescent lighting and much more.

During the past twenty years, there has been an explosion in demand for many items that require rare earth metals. Twenty years ago very few people owned a mobile phone, but today over 5 billion people own a mobile device. [3] The use of rare earth elements in computers has grown almost as fast as cell phones.

Critical Defense Uses
Rare earth elements play an essential role in our national defense. The military uses night-vision goggles, precision-guided weapons, communications equipment, GPS equipment, batteries, and other defense electronics. These give the United States military an enormous advantage. Rare earth metals are key ingredients for making the very hard alloys used in armored vehicles and projectiles that shatter upon impact.

Substitutes can be used for rare earth elements in some defense applications; however, those substitutes are usually not as effective and that diminishes military superiority. Several uses of rare earth elements are summarized in the accompanying table [6].

More at the link.
=====================

https://sciencing.com/list-chinas-natural-resources-5375735.html

Mineral Resources and Raw Materials Found in China

China has extensive deposits of coal, oil and natural gas. Besides these fossil fuels, China is a top producer of aluminum, magnesium, antimony, salt, talc, barite, cement, coal, fluorspar, gold, graphite, iron, steel, lead, mercury, molybdenum, phosphate rock, rare earths, tin, tungsten, bismuth and zinc. China exports antimony, barite, rare earths, fluorspar, graphite, indium and tungsten, and it leads the world in domestic mining of gold, zinc, lead, molybdenum, iron ore and coal
==========================

The distribution of which countries hold which resources could have had a part in why China was allowed into the WTO. I don't know this but just guessing. But China has some stuff the U.S. needs.

Who knows what the future will bring? But it could get interesting.

#2635 4 years ago
Quoted from Coindork:

So are the sky’s in California looking cleaner as a result of this?

Excellent question, we need to know.

#2636 4 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Today's isn't up yet. But here's a snippet from yesterday maybe.

#2637 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Rare earth metals and alloys that contain them are used in many devices that people use every day such as computer memory, DVDs, rechargeable batteries, cell phones, catalytic converters, magnets, fluorescent lighting and much more.

From which most rare earth raws are recycled. It's not complicated, folks know what this shit is worth and recover it when they can.

#2638 4 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Sorry my ignorance but can't you get goods delivered thru the mail?

#2639 4 years ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

It depends which state you live in.

#2640 4 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

Excellent question, we need to know.

The skies have been beautiful ever since I and many others started doing something about it. We don't know smog alerts anymore.

They are even more beautiful today.

#2641 4 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

[quoted image]

Hahaha

#2642 4 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Korn’s last great album.

Korn had a great album?

#2643 4 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

From which most rare earth raws are recycled. It's not complicated, folks know what this shit is worth and recover it when they can.

True, but we dont have the processes and the labor/factory to manufacture the next round.

Me last round of labor before I retired was $.35 hour Far Rural China, to $1.35 for tech assembly

Would we be willing to pay 5-10 times the price for our goods?

#2644 4 years ago

Someone asked me today what we gain by delaying the inevitable. This graphic describes it much better than I could.

A5DAD0E5-659E-4FAE-A3CC-A1A475A190ED (resized).jpegA5DAD0E5-659E-4FAE-A3CC-A1A475A190ED (resized).jpeg
#2645 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

A little bit of Locomotive Breath. Yeah. Did you know that when Jethro Tull was starting out they were having a hard time getting established. And for each gig they would use different name. Finally, one night they were playing as Jethro Tull and were invited back. They went back as Jethro Tull and never looked back.

I’m pretty sure I saw Ian Anderson tell that story to David letterman. It might have been in the NBC days. Jethro Tull put on a great live show.

#2646 4 years ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

The saving grace for Boeing in that situation is even in long range, the 737 is still a narrowbody short-haul plane. China could say "we're not letting these in" all they want, but it's not like any were flying across the Pacific anyway. It would be a significant market lost, but one China was going to protect via IP theft anyway. Eventually no different than how for many years Russia had its own analogues to Boeing aircraft, and US / Russian planes rarely if ever crossed soil. Actually I guess that's still true, oops...

There is a paywall

https://www.wsj.com/articles/boeing-and-its-737-max-jets-have-a-china-problem-11554904340

Screen Shot 2020-03-24 at 8.27.03 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-03-24 at 8.27.03 PM (resized).png

China was the first to ground its 737 MAX fleet. The U.S. was dead last.

https://qz.com/1569865/china-grounds-737-max-8-after-ethiopian-airlines-et-302-crash/

This link suggests that China owns 96 of the 737 MAXs. Our government is fixing to feed Boeing at lot of our tax dollars. The Prez. desperately wants Boeing back in the air. Anyone who thinks China does not have a big bargaining chip to hit him over the head with has another think coming.

=======================================================

The NYT is behind a paywall but you can register and get in.

This is copy and paste. There is more at the link.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/13/business/canada-737-max.html

And the U.S. was dead last to ground the 737 MAX fleet. Trump made the call but only after Canada grounded its fleet.

Screen Shot 2020-03-24 at 8.39.08 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-03-24 at 8.39.08 PM (resized).png

Screen Shot 2020-03-24 at 8.39.23 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-03-24 at 8.39.23 PM (resized).png

Screen Shot 2020-03-24 at 8.40.00 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-03-24 at 8.40.00 PM (resized).png

Screen Shot 2020-03-24 at 8.40.00 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-03-24 at 8.40.00 PM (resized).png

Screen Shot 2020-03-24 at 8.40.26 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-03-24 at 8.40.26 PM (resized).png
#2647 4 years ago

BACK TO YOU COTTON

#2648 4 years ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

That doesn’t help me in the instant moment.

Quoted from Gryszzz:

Korn had a great album?

First album was definitely great...and Peachy was a good follow up. It’s not Subliminal Verses though...damn you Joey Jordison!

#2649 4 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

Then why are we bothering to import 80% of what we need?

#2650 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Then why are we bothering to import 80% of what we need?

Hopefully things are learned from this fiasco.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 53 of 576.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread/page/53?hl=eightball88 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.