272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 539 of 576.
#26900 2 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I kind of lost track of what the argument was.
Are you saying the hope was to add covid to the list of diseases we don't think about any more is bad?

It’s misinformation and not based on any science.

#26901 2 years ago

https://www.timesunion.com/state/article/State-accuses-unvaccinated-nurses-of-16519465.php

The State University of New York has issued incendiary termination letters to nurses and other medical professionals charging them with misconduct, insubordination, dereliction of duties and incompetence after they declined to get vaccinated by the state's mandatory Sept. 27 deadline.

The vaccination mandate imposed by Gov. Kathy Hochul's administration on health care workers led to thousands of workers, including doctors and nurses, facing termination at a time when hospitals have been cutting services, closing beds and, in some instances, diverting patients to other facilities.

For nurses and others employed by SUNY hospitals, the stronger wording of the two-page disciplinary letters they received contrasts with similar suspension and termination notices issued to nurses and other medical staff by private hospitals.

Uh, wow.

#26902 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

It’s misinformation and not based on any science.

Huh? What's misinformation?

#26904 2 years ago

I stumble onto this on youtube last night. It is the Los Angeles County sheriff laying out the problems he is facing with all of his help quitting due to vaccine mandates.

Me? I'm all for vaccination and don't have a problem with mandates, but this sherrif lays it all out methodically and in a level headed manner on the negative possibilities he is facing when the mandates arrive.

It is rather sobering.

#26905 2 years ago

I find it interesting that Newscorp in Australia holdings is Pro Mask and Vax there, and the opposite in its news here.

#26906 2 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I find it interesting that Newscorp in Australia holdings is Pro Mask and Vax there, and the opposite in its news here.

Pretty much everyone in Australia is pro-mask and pro-vax. If you are not, you are seen as a crazy anti-vaxxer. Only a couple of the most far-right nut-job politicians here are against the vaccine. It's almost unthinkable for anyone in authority to be against the vaccine or masks, and if a media outlet went against them, they would be wildly out of step with the general public. Sure, some people have been against the restrictions because it has affected their livelihoods or freedoms but, aside from a few marginal groups, almost everyone considers masks and vaccines to be a way out of lockdowns. As of today, about 90% of the eligible population have had at least one dose of the vaccine. In the eastern states that figure is nearing 95%.

#26907 2 years ago

Amazing how far and persistent this all has gotten.

https://www.kff.org/coronavirus-covid-19/poll-finding/kff-covid-19-vaccine-monitor-media-and-misinformation/

477E0FF7-6F86-444F-8B34-8AFFB9D9D734.jpeg477E0FF7-6F86-444F-8B34-8AFFB9D9D734.jpeg
#26908 2 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Too many people of the world still seem to have excessive trust in the "blanket media", seems corp monopolies are held in far greater faith than they aught to be... imho.

#26909 2 years ago

We should be questioning why we have a media push here different than the world, players that bring conflicting info for power or money.
We won't ever be all the "same" nor am I advocating this. But 90% is a normal amount.
We have many external players controlling narratives over health, for self gain.

#26910 2 years ago

So no one wants to admit what the daily cases are……interesting.

Why would any pro-lockdown, pro-mask everything person want to admit that daily cases have crumbled from 180,000 down to 23,000 without lockdowns or mask mandates?

#26911 2 years ago

I heard an ex-Russian talking about it on NPR, he likened the right wing disinformation campaign to the disinformation he experienced in communist Russia in the 80s.

#26912 2 years ago

I found out recently a guy in our office had tested positive for Covid. He was adamant/vocal that he wasn't getting the vaccine. He went to his doctor asking for Ivermectin and the doctor refused. He bought it online somewhere and started taking it. He his condition worsened and he got pneumonia before having to be hospitalized for a few weeks. Today is his first day back in a month.

Another guy (unvaccinated) in the office contracted Covid who spread it to his wife who has cancer also. She's now in the hospital in intensive care. The husband has some lingering health issues (long haul stuff).

2 others in our office both lost one of their parents. A few more have had it and are recovering also. Our small office of 50 in a building of 1000s of people.

As a government contractor we are "supposed" to be fully masked indoors still and mandated to be vaccinated. Most take the mask off while sitting in their cube however there are a few that keep them on (including myself). I still wear mine (except to eat of course) because I know there are people mentioned above that have different thinking on how maintain their health. Unfortunately, it could still affect me. I thought I was being too cautious then I heard about everything that happened in our office (only a cube or so away from me).

The general feeling lately IMO is that people seem to think its over but its still here and killing people - 15 a day in Maryland. Daily deaths are still 1200 a day in the US down from 2000 in September. Its like a 9/11 every 2 days or so.

The reason for the post isn't to make any statement but maybe serve as a head check for myself (maybe others here) that what I've been doing has helped keep me and others healthy. Just a self validation I guess that I'm not desensitized to the numbers or the negativity of still being cautious. Its difficult to be right all the time especially with a new virus but what the doctors, virologist and experts have said about the Pandemic has been pretty spot on especially as far as predicted deaths.

#26913 2 years ago

Britain especially and Germany somewhat tend to be a few weeks/months ahead of the USA on the pandemic timeloop.

Their current numbers do not give me much comfort for where we are headed.

#26914 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Why would any pro-lockdown, pro-mask everything person want to admit that daily cases have crumbled from 180,000 down to 23,000 without lockdowns or mask mandates?

They're among the highest they've been in Minnesota this year:

https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2021/11/08/covid-in-mn-mdh-says-recent-numbers-among-highest-in-2021/

#26915 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

So it was a trap? You pretended you didn't understand how it was a trap as you sat there still waiting to spring it. You sort of remind me of Elmer Fudd.

Elmer (resized).jpgElmer (resized).jpg

#26916 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

23,000? What’s the current 7 day average?

Who is pro-lockdown now? Can you provide a quote from anyone?

Also, what happened to the flu again last season? For some reason it was drastically different than prior years. There must have been something different going on…

#26917 2 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

It's all about the grift baby.

No need to report truthfully or even aim to inform when there is so much money to be made telling people what they want to hear.

#26918 2 years ago

One of my childhood friends passed away yesterday from COVID. He lived in another state. This news reached me this morning.

It is a sobering reminder of where I am today. (Where we are today.)
And then there were two.

Of the four of us who pretended we were kiss in the fifth grade only two of us remain.

The guy who died was always ace f. He is on the right.

E7C5DDA0-CF7B-4984-B00B-CB3C29BEE5E0 (resized).jpegE7C5DDA0-CF7B-4984-B00B-CB3C29BEE5E0 (resized).jpeg
#26919 2 years ago

I’ve been lax about wearing a mask in public over the past few months, but lately I’ve been sneezing a lot due to fall allergies (ragweed, I assume). So the mask is back on, and I’ll try to keep it up through winter.

#26920 2 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

So it was a trap? You pretended you didn't understand how it was a trap as you sat there still waiting to spring it. You sort of remind me of Elmer Fudd.
[quoted image]

No trap. Just more proof that a lot of posters don’t know anything.

#26921 2 years ago

solarvalue You make me want to move to Australia. If only it didn’t take weeks to get pinball parts!

#26922 2 years ago

Yep, MN hospital system has been persistently hovering just below capacity for months now. Basically since school started.

Western WI ain’t pretty either.

Like a forest fire that you don’t fully put out and let smolder. This thing has the potential to flare up quickly.

Been watching it like a hawk.

FYI MN has been open for business and vaccinations flatlined months ago too.

#26923 2 years ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

One of my childhood friends passed away yesterday from COVID. He lived in another state. This news reached me this morning.
It is a sobering reminder of where I am today. (Where we are today.)
And then there were two.
Of the four of us who pretended we were kiss in the fifth grade only two of us remain.
The guy who died was always ace f. He is on the right.
[quoted image]

My condolences on the loss of your friend.

#26924 2 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

[quoted image]

giphy lucy.gifgiphy lucy.gif
#26925 2 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

Yep, MN hospital system has been persistently hovering just below capacity for months now.

That being said they should probably fire nurses and staff that dont trust the shot to help things get better.

#26926 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

757,000 people are dead, and you are trying to crow about it going down? If we had handled this pandemic well, I'd estimate 700,000 wouldn't have died. It would have been awesome, because people like you could have been crowing how it was all no big deal, and we should have done the effort. That would have been fine.

Yes, daily cases have gone down. However can you let me know where you are getting this 23,000 number? Oh, I see, you are specifically talking about Sunday November 7th. So I assume you will now see it was only a day and the next day there were 126,000 new cases???? No, you won't, because it doesn't help your cherry picking narrative. This is the exact reason PinballNewb pointed out:

Quoted from PinballNewb:

23,000? What’s the current 7 day average?

#26927 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

I've read most of your posts but I honestly don't know how you'll answer the following questions, which seems key to understanding what you're advocating for. So here goes:

1. What do you mean by "pro-lockdown"? I think it's been more than a year since anywhere in the US has been on anything resembling lockdown, and no one seems to be advocating for one at this point. Or are you suggesting that the lockdowns in the Spring of 2020 were a bad idea because daily cases are dropping a year and a half later?
  2. Can you agree that there is credible scientific evidence that wearing an N95 mask over your mouth and nose in an indoor setting will reduce your risk of contracting Covid if you're exposed?
  3. Can you agree that there is credible scientific evidence that wearing an N95 mask over your mouth and nose in an indoor setting will reduce your chance of spreading Covid to others if you're infected?
  4. Can you agree that there is credible scientific evidence that wearing a non-N95 mask over your mouth and nose in an an indoor setting, while considerably less effective than an N95, will still at least somewhat reduce your risk of contracting covid, and/or of spreading it to others if you've got it?

My point with these questions is to work out if you're making a public policy argument (dropping all mask requirements would admittedly lead to some additional covid cases, but that's not enough of a harm to justify imposing mask requirements) or a public health argument (there's no evidence masks work at all, or there's no evidence masks work outside so mandates should only cover indoors).

#26928 2 years ago

Something to ponder.

5,085,000 world wide covid deaths as of today.
(divided by…)
7,900,000,000 world population
=
0.00064 % of the worlds population have died from it.

That’s a pandemic? I don’t agree.

#26929 2 years ago
Quoted from Cmartin1235:

solarvalue You make me want to move to Australia. If only it didn’t take weeks to get pinball parts!

Shipping costs are pretty bad too.

#26930 2 years ago
Quoted from Julius:

Something to ponder.
(divided by…)
=

You're off by a factor of 100.

I’d also like to point out the amount of up votes on a post with wrong and misleading data is such a microcosm of the many social media problems we face today. Not just social media I guess.

#26931 2 years ago
Quoted from Julius:

Something to ponder.
(divided by…)
=

16764536-19F5-4007-901E-46442776469E.jpeg16764536-19F5-4007-901E-46442776469E.jpeg
#26932 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Just more proof that a lot of posters don’t know anything.

I'll go to you if I have any questions about marathons, but otherwise you're just projecting here.

#26933 2 years ago
Quoted from Cmartin1235:

Definitely not saying we are perfect. Our federal government's record on the environment is absolutely abysmal for example. However, for some reason we have escaped the scepticism about vaccines and masks for the most part.

#26934 2 years ago
Quoted from Julius:

Something to ponder.

18M deaths from cardiovascular disease? I don’t see what the big deal is.

9.5M cancer deaths a year? Yawn.

Wake me up when it’s a mass extinction event.

/s

#26935 2 years ago
Quoted from Julius:

0.00064 % of the worlds population have died from it. That’s a pandemic? I don’t agree.

You must be working off an unusual definition for "pandemic" -- Merriam-Webster's doesn't mention death toll at all:

pandemic (noun): an outbreak of a disease that occurs over a wide geographic area (such as multiple countries or continents) and typically affects a significant proportion of the population.

#26936 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Who is pro-lockdown? I'm not sure why you keep using lockdown and pro-lockdown, that was something that happened in most states for a few weeks back in March/April of 2020. My state has been fairly restrictive, but every business is open, we just wear masks inside, following the guidelines to reduce the spread of Covid. And in designated eating and drinking places, masks can be removed at your table. It feels really simple, easy and safe to me.

It's great that some states like Florida now have a low infection rate, that, however, shouldn't bring you to the conclusion that masking has no effect. It means they have a low infection rate despite not following the recommended guidelines, not because they chose to shrug of safety guidelines. For the bulk of the pandemic Florida has had very high infection and death rates, you are not going to bring back all those friends, co-workers and family members by gloating that they have a low infection rate now. Nor is that a convincing argument against wearing masks indoor public spaces. Honestly, it just kinda makes you look insensitive to all of us that have lost friends and loved ones.

#26937 2 years ago
Quoted from PinballNewb:

You're off by a factor of 100.
I’d also like to point out the amount of up votes on a post with wrong and misleading data is such a microcosm of the many social media problems we face today. Not just social media I guess.

What is the misleading data? Is it the actual numbers, or the factor of 100?

So the actual percentage is 0.064%?

#26938 2 years ago
Quoted from RonSS:

The percentage. 1 in roughly 1,540 people have officially died world wide. Not 1 in 154,000 people.

#26939 2 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

I've read most of your posts but I honestly don't know how you'll answer the following questions, which seems key to understanding what you're advocating for. So here goes:

What do you mean by "pro-lockdown"? I think it's been more than a year since anywhere in the US has been on anything resembling lockdown, and no one seems to be advocating for one at this point. Or are you suggesting that the lockdowns in the Spring of 2020 were a bad idea because daily cases are dropping a year and a half later?
Can you agree that there is credible scientific evidence that wearing an N95 mask over your mouth and nose in an indoor setting will reduce your risk of contracting Covid if you're exposed?
Can you agree that there is credible scientific evidence that wearing an N95 mask over your mouth and nose in an indoor setting will reduce your chance of spreading Covid to others if you're infected?
Can you agree that there is credible scientific evidence that wearing a non-N95 mask over your mouth and nose in an an indoor setting, while considerably less effective than an N95, will still at least somewhat reduce your risk of contracting covid, and/or of spreading it to others if you've got it?

My point with these questions is to work out if you're making a public policy argument (dropping all mask requirements would admittedly lead to some additional covid cases, but that's not enough of a harm to justify imposing mask requirements) or a public health argument (there's no evidence masks work at all, or there's no evidence masks work outside so mandates should only cover indoors).

1 - haven’t you seen all the posters on this thread who are against marathons, sports, concerts, movies, church, in school learning, etc. That’s being pro lockdown.

2 - N95 masks are the only masks that work. I didn’t come to this conclusion, the FDA says this. I’ve posted it several times. If the FDA said the other masks work too, then I’d support everyone wearing those masks.

3 - Non-N95 masks only stops droplets. It doesn’t stop someone from inhaling or exhaling the virus. Per the FDA, they are not effective at stopping the virus. That’s why I don’t support wearing those masks.

I’m all for doing things that work. Vaccines.

In the history of man, the only thing that controls a virus is immunity. Be it from natural immunity or vaccines.

I was told on this thread, that Florida will only get their cases under control with government mandates. I said the cases will get under control with more immunity.

Their vaccine use skyrocketed and their case load plunged. Looks like my prediction was 100% correct.

Don’t forget all the predictions on this thread with sports and concerts being open…..no spikes from them. No spikes from marathons and other races.

I follow the NJ (I live here) covid numbers everyday. As the weather has cooled off, the numbers have actually gone down. I believe the reason for that, is a state with 9.2 million, we’ve had close to 7.2 million with at least 1 jab and 6.2 million fully vaccinated. It looks like we are or at least are close to reaching herd immunity in this state. I just hope that 7.2 million number increases by another 1 million. Doesn’t mean the virus will disappear, just means that there won’t be any uncontrolled outbreaks where it rips through the population. The covid shot will turn into the flu shot. A yearly shot.

#26941 2 years ago
Quoted from RonSS:

For starters:

Using an improper numerator.

Using an improper denominator.

Then doing the math wrong.

You don’t take the number of people who have died of leukemia and divide by the world’s total population in order to get a proper idea of the severity of leukemia. I mean…come on man…

#26942 2 years ago

It amazes me how people try and use a percentage to make light of the deaths of millions of people.

About 6 million Jews died in the Holocaust.

COVID has killed over 5 million people in about 2 years and is still going strong.

I don't recall anyone posting about how small a percentage of the world population died in the Holocaust before...strange how that happens.

#26943 2 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

[quoted image]

752e8d2b356b1294510d0b6ae399831c708e5d75 (resized).jpg752e8d2b356b1294510d0b6ae399831c708e5d75 (resized).jpg

I googled the phrase and the T-shirts are for sale on Amazon. I not a scientist but appreciate the discipline. This a T-shirt I have to have .

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B095N4VFWM/ref=pd_luc_rh_sspa_dk_huc_pt_expsub_1

#26944 2 years ago
Quoted from PinballNewb:

The percentage. 1 in roughly 1,540 people have officially died world wide. Not 1 in 154,000 people.

Ok, thanks. So 0.064% is correct then.

This OP's base numbers were correct, but they didn't adjust decimal to percentage correctly.

#26945 2 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

757,000 people are dead, and you are trying to crow about it going down? If we had handled this pandemic well, I'd estimate 700,000 wouldn't have died. It would have been awesome, because people like you could have been crowing how it was all no big deal, and we should have done the effort. That would have been fine.
Yes, daily cases have gone down. However can you let me know where you are getting this 23,000 number? Oh, I see, you are specifically talking about Sunday November 7th. So I assume you will now see it was only a day and the next day there were 126,000 new cases???? No, you won't, because it doesn't help your cherry picking narrative. This is the exact reason PinballNewb pointed out:

Wasn't cherry picking, hit the 2 instead of the 7.

180,000 down to 73,000 is still showing the numbers collapsing. Or is a 60% reduction means it has remained the same to you?

When is your end game? We have therapeutics. We have vaccines. Is it just going to be living in fear from covid forever?

#26946 2 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

For starters:
Using an improper numerator.
Using an improper denominator.
Then doing the math wrong.
You don’t take the number of people who have died of leukemia and divide by the world’s total population in order to get a proper idea of the severity of leukemia. I mean…come on man…

Thanks Oaken. That clears it up more. Although it doesn't seem Julius was referring to the severity of Covid, but concentrating only on deaths. I'd think there are stats reporting similar for all diseases. Maybe I'm not reading either of you correctly?

So how would change the Julius numbers then?
Or the wording?

#26947 2 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

It amazes me how people try and use a percentage to make light of the deaths of millions of people.
About 6 million Jews died in the Holocaust.
COVID has killed over 5 million people in about 2 years and is still going strong.
I don't recall anyone posting about how small a percentage of the world population died in the Holocaust before...strange how that happens.

I don't understand how you think Julius was making light of people's death. I didn't read that.

And The Holocaust? Really? Who hacked your account!?

#26948 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Is it just going to be living in fear from covid forever?

I would be pleased if Covid cases and deaths went to zero.

#26949 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

When is your end game? We have therapeutics. We have vaccines. Is it just going to be living in fear from covid forever?

Obviously it is when we have low community spread. 73,000 people a day catching it is not low community spread.

I’ll ignore the straw man question at the end of the quote.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 539 of 576.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread/page/539 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.