272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 525 of 576.
#26200 2 years ago
Quoted from Glarrownage:

Sorry if this has been discussed, but I was curious if anyone has reported numbers of people contracting Covid at pinball shows. The York Show is coming up and the pinside thread says "no Covid talk", so I thought I would ask here. Does anyone know the numbers from past shows and how they get reported, if they get reported at all.

Quoted from poppapin:

I don't think they get reported at all. Allentown show went on without any issue earlier this year, no mask mandate, some wore masks, some didn't.
I'm sure York will be the same.

I thirst for information on shows as well. Allentown had very low mask wearing percentages. Attendance was also noticeably down. I set up down-venting fans in my booth hoping to change the dynamic of "across the table" customer conversation airflows. I felt like a prisoner in my booth. I'm skipping York because of covid despite it only being a 2 hour drive from home. I'm struggling on what to do about Expo at the end of the month. The hosting county has a mask mandate in place but there's no way to know how or if enforcement happens. Having high-risk loved ones here means I will isolate before returning home turning a 3 day trip into 10 days away from home; I'm just not sure the juice is worth the squeeze.

-Rob
-visit https://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or my replacement LED display boards for Skee Ball

#26201 2 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

Also from your link:
“In North Carolina, the Novant Health hospital system, which has over 35,000 employees across 15 hospitals and over 800 clinics, fired around 175 of its workers for failing to get vaccinated, officials told ABC News.”
Workers in general not specifically nurses or doctors. Think janitors, receptionists, etc…
This is the norm for Minnesota, western Wisconsin, and (per Pinball_Gizzard ) in North Texas. I’m gonna go out on a limb and say that this is the norm writ large across the country.
As mentioned previously my wife had a med assist leave because of the mandate only to have her new employer issue a mandate. As of last week she is vaccinated and back working with my wife! (Yay because that med assist is really good at her job). I would like to say it was the near universal mandate that caused her to get vaccinated, but it was actually watching her mother in law die after weeks in the icu and her nephew get hospitalized (he recovered) due to Covid.
So far around 5-10 employees have quit because of the mandate in my wife’s small portion of the much larger network. None have titles higher than med assist.
For comparison 50ish people have quit or retired in the past year. Completely unrelated to vaccination. Rumors are many more to come from burnout. Could all just be saber rattling, but we shall see. I suspect that after covid settles down you are going to see significantly more swapping of hats than usual in the medical community. (The grass is always greener right? It can’t be this bad everywhere right?)
Not to say that it doesn’t suck when staff get canned for defying vax policy (it does) but it isn’t the huge deal that it is being made out to be.
MUCH bigger staffing problems coming down the pike.

Yup, and thanks for reading and replying.

I'm just trying to look at this mess wholistically.

#26202 2 years ago
Quoted from poppapin:

I don't think they get reported at all. Allentown show went on without any issue earlier this year, no mask mandate, some wore masks, some didn't. I'm sure York will be the same.

There is no way to track Covid cases from a pinball show, we will never know how many people contracted Covid at these events. But likely it is similar stats to any large event, a small percentage of attendees were infected with Covid and they infected a certain number of people, most of who were either not vaccinated, not masked, or both. I attended PAX West this year (I was on a pinball collecting panel) and even with proof of vaccination and mandatory masking, I can tell through the Reddit threads and contract tracing app a few people got Covid. But there is no official way to tell beyond word of mouth.

#26203 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

If you’re living in fear after being vaccinated…then I suggest you never eat solid foods…scientifically speaking, you can choke to death. Don’t drive a car, scientifically speaking, you can die in a car crash. Don’t walk outside, scientifically speaking, something bad can happen. Don’t ride a roller coaster, scientifically speaking, you can call out and die.

To cut down on the noise and save time, I’ll just start quoting myself.

Quoted from DaveH:

Reductio ad absurdum

#26204 2 years ago
Quoted from rkahr:

I thirst for information on shows as well. Allentown had very low mask wearing percentages. Attendance was also noticeably down. I set up down-venting fans in my booth hoping to change the dynamic of "across the table" customer conversation airflows. I felt like a prisoner in my booth. I'm skipping York because of covid despite it only being a 2 hour drive from home. I'm struggling on what to do about Expo at the end of the month. The hosting county has a mask mandate in place but there's no way to know how or if enforcement happens. Having high-risk loved ones here means I will isolate before returning home turning a 3 day trip into 10 days away from home; I'm just not sure the juice is worth the squeeze.
-Rob
-visit https://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or my replacement LED display boards for Skee Ball

Juggling the same concerns here. Wondering if I should tote a large Coway Airmega 400 (or two) to place beside me at all times...

The ventilation thing is still, STILL, S T I L L not getting the focus it should. Not even close. It's just pathetic.

#26205 2 years ago
Quoted from rkahr:

-Rob

You described it perfectly. It's not me I'm worried about, it's me spreading it to others just because I wanted to go to a show.

#26206 2 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

Juggling the same concerns here. Wondering if I should tote a large Coway Airmega 400 (or two) to place beside me at all times...
The ventilation thing is still, STILL, S T I L L not getting the focus it should. Not even close. It's just pathetic.

Ventilation means nothing on here.

Just look at how many supported masks at the San Francisco marathon for the runners running outside.

No one could answer what place was more ventilated than being outside.

#26208 2 years ago

"Spirit AeroSystems to mandate vaccine for employees"

(Spirit used to be Boeing in Wichita. Boeing is Spirit's largest customer. )

https://www.kake.com/story/44906452/spirit-aerosystems-to-mandate-vaccine-for-employees

" One of the largest employers in Kansas will require that its workers get the Covid-19 vaccine.

Spirit AeroSystems Inc. notified employees by email on Wednesday that, because of its role on multiple defense programs, it has determined it must abide by the vaccine mandate of President Joe Biden as a federal contractor.

“By December 8, 2021 (the date set forth in the Executive Order), all U.S.-based Spirit employees are required to be fully vaccinated in order to maintain employment with Spirit,” the email read. “ In order to be fully vaccinated by the deadline, you must receive your first dose of the Moderna vaccine by October 27, 2021, your first dose of the Pfizer vaccine by November 3, 2021, and, if available, the Johnson and Johnson vaccine by November 24, 2021."
----------------------------------

As someone who worked aircraft for 30 years, I am reasonably confident that no aircraft worker will walk away from his job because of a mandate.

#26210 2 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

To cut down on the noise and save time, I’ll just start quoting myself.

Quoted from Trekkie1978:

So you’re afraid to live your life. Congratulations.

You are moving more towards formal fallacy territory with this one. You are drawing a conclusion that is a non-sequitur. Are you saying you think I’m living in fear because I choose to be a responsible member of a society? I’d love to have that discussion, but we sort of already had it (ad nauseam) about marathons. And you came to the conclusion that the delta variant has changed nothing, because you were promised that vaccines would fix this mess, so you are not going to live in fear, even though last week in a small state like Massachusetts 3,741 vaccinated people were known to have been out spreading Covid. We know how to reduce those infections, but you find the solution untenable.

Feel free to correct my run on sentence that stated your conclusion. But from reading your posts in the last few weeks, I think it’s fairly accurate.

#26211 2 years ago

"The man who allegedly killed his brother and sister-in-law last month in Ellicott City, Maryland, thought his brother, a pharmacist, was poisoning people by administering COVID-19 vaccines, charging documents say."

https://wtop.com/maryland/2021/10/documents-suspect-in-md-murders-was-driven-to-confront-brother-over-covid-19-vaccines/
https://www.wbaltv.com/article/jeffrey-burnham-covid-19-vaccine-allegations/37886250
https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/crime/bs-md-cr-burnham-follow-20211006-srubyenoujenvkd5igalidruwm-story.html

download (resized).jpgdownload (resized).jpg

#26212 2 years ago

Study from Israel: Pfizer vaccine’s immunity wears off after two months.

#26213 2 years ago

We just had a departmental meeting about the vaccine mandate. It looks like a good time to be a lawyer because they are going to be quite busy for a while it would seem. They will be the ones dealing with everyone trying to get an exception this rule.

#26214 2 years ago
Quoted from RonSS:

Yup, and thanks for reading and replying.
I'm just trying to look at this mess wholistically.

My suspicion is this is a greater threat to people walking off the job than mandates.

Not as bad here, but bad enough that for the first time in her career my wife is now wearing a panic button. (System wide policy change based on incidences at other facilities)

She has had a nurse get spat on but that was months ago.

https://michiganadvance.com/2021/10/05/once-lauded-as-heroes-health-care-workers-are-now-spit-on-and-threatened-every-day-at-work/

#26215 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Ventilation means nothing on here.
Just look at how many supported masks at the San Francisco marathon for the runners running outside.

I’m talking about crowded indoor spaces.

If people were violently exercising indoors, that would only exacerbate the problem.

#26216 2 years ago
Quoted from JimB:

Pfizer vaccine’s immunity wears off after two months: Study
So this is not good news. What options should Pfizer people consider now? My dr had Moderna and is comfortable without a booster for himself. I don’t want to keep getting boosters to help Pfizer keep up.

Glass half empty: immunity wears off

Glass half full: not a big drop off in hospitalization prevention.

————————————————-

Vaccine efficacy against infections:
- First month post: 88%
- 5 months post: 47%

vaccine efficacy against hospitalization:
- First month post: 87%
- 5 months post: 88 %

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(21)02183-8/fulltext

#26217 2 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

You are moving more towards formal fallacy territory with this one. You are drawing a conclusion that is a non-sequitur. Are you saying you think I’m living in fear because I choose to be a responsible member of a society? I’d love to have that discussion, but we sort of already had it (ad nauseam) about marathons. And you came to the conclusion that the delta variant has changed nothing, because you were promised that vaccines would fix this mess, so you are not going to live in fear, even though last week in a small state like Massachusetts 3,741 vaccinated people were known to have been out spreading Covid. We know how to reduce those infections, but you find the solution untenable.
Feel free to correct my run on sentence that stated your conclusion. But from reading your posts in the last few weeks, I think it’s fairly accurate.

You're not living in fear?

Quoted from DaveH:

You won't see me sitting in a movie theatre, in a gym, or at a concert because none of them are worth the risk to me.

You have posted charts showing how amazingly effective the vaccine is against covid.

#26218 2 years ago
Quoted from JimB:

So this is not good news. What options should Pfizer people consider now? My dr had Moderna and is comfortable without a booster for himself. I don’t want to keep getting boosters to help Pfizer keep up.

It is still 90% effective against hospitalization and severe illness. I will be happy to have a booster when it is recommended for my age group and health status though.

https://www.usnews.com/news/health-news/articles/2021-10-07/studies-show-power-of-pfizer-vaccine-starts-to-wane-after-two-months

#26219 2 years ago
Quoted from PinballNewb:

Can you provide a link saying every single person in the US is eligible to get the vaccine?
No? So you want kids to get sick so you can get your life back to normal asap. So fearless.

You do realize the flu is more deadly to children than covid is?

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/symptoms/flu-vs-covid19.htm

#26220 2 years ago
Quoted from JimB:

This sounds very out of context. I think you may want to actually link to the "Study" you are referring to.

I'm pretty sure you are referring to people that only get a single shot of the two shot regimen. But I will let you post the study to make sure that is correct.

#26221 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

So you’re afraid to live your life. Congratulations.

This, and many of your other post comments, are just trolling at this point. Please don’t tell us what we feel or think.

#26222 2 years ago
Quoted from JimB:

This isn’t really correct. A recent study found that Pfizer effectiveness in preventing COVID infection dropped to around 50% at 6 months. It is still 85-90% effective in preventing severe COVID if you do get infected. So I’ve seen several headlines that state “Pfizer shot ineffective at 6 months”. This is click bait and is a misleading statement because it depends on how you define effectiveness. Coronaviruses tend to more easily reinfect people but what we are really trying to do is prevent severe disease and death and in that regard both vaccines are still very effective.

I suspect that there will be a 3rd dose also recommended for Moderna. There is no data currently to support switching vaccines.

#26223 2 years ago
Quoted from JimB:

You are leaving out the important details. It starts to wane after two months for immunity, but still has the same effect of reducing the severity, hospitalizations and deaths. They then explained why:

"The vaccine's weakening protection may be due to people's behavior, the study authors noted.

"Vaccinated persons presumably have a higher rate of social contact than unvaccinated persons and may also have lower adherence to safety measures," they wrote. "This behavior could reduce real-world effectiveness of the vaccine as compared with its biologic effectiveness, possibly explaining the waning of protection."

The studies were published Wednesday in the New England Journal of Medicine."

#26226 2 years ago

We are NOT going to Pay our educators, for Trying to keep children, and employees safe.
They would Not let us NOT wear masks, so they must be punished by the State Govt, and withhold pay.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/07/us/florida-sanction-schools-covid-19-mask-mandate/index.html

#26227 2 years ago

Minnesota hospitals tapped out. Not looking too pretty. Thankful the population centers are mostly vaccinated or it would be a lot worse. (Look at how the high vaccination rate correlates to the suppressed caseload in the metro regions).

Cases rising rapidly in the unvaccinated youth statewide though. Thankfully they mostly don’t need hospitalization because there are only around 10 pediatric beds open statewide.

Wife had a cancer patient turned away from 5 hospitals the other day before they finally found a place. Even then, they stayed in the emergency room for 3 days until a bed opened up.

47278C5B-29D0-43A2-B611-3235EB6A8B72 (resized).png47278C5B-29D0-43A2-B611-3235EB6A8B72 (resized).pngD704F3B5-284D-4B95-A2C0-E4BB3440BAC2 (resized).pngD704F3B5-284D-4B95-A2C0-E4BB3440BAC2 (resized).png69C242D5-DF00-4F92-988C-952580E68FFD.jpeg69C242D5-DF00-4F92-988C-952580E68FFD.jpeg
#26229 2 years ago

No joke marijuana smokers at a higher percentage of a Breakthrough case. Wow have to give the designers credit.

#26230 2 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

If people were violently exercising indoors, that would only exacerbate the problem.

Here in NY the curve has been heading in the right direction and in LA fitness I would say about 10% or less are wearing masks at my gym. Don't know of anyone I play racquetball with that has gotten sick in the last 6 months since the masks were no longer required and a good percentage of them are not vaccinated. Anecdotal? Sure. Was in Florida last week and I think i saw 1% in the gym with masks ...thier curve is heading south as well.

#26231 2 years ago
Quoted from smalltownguy2:

Seriously, what the fuck is the matter with you?
Masks and social distancing also work to reduce the spread of illness. Stop it with the broken record crap already.

According to the FDA…masks don’t work.

https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/personal-protective-equipment-infection-control/n95-respirators-surgical-masks-face-masks-and-barrier-face-coverings

Tell me about the fall wave of 2020, where most of the country was still shut down and pretty much masking up. How did that wave happen exactly? (Hint: click the link).

Couldn’t get sick at concerts. Couldn’t get sick at races. Couldn’t get sick at sports events. Couldn’t get sick at schools. Couldn’t get sick at offices. Couldn’t get sick traveling (no one was traveling, hence the extremely dirt cheap airfare). Couldn’t get sick at movies (Regal was closed).

Country was masked and socially distancing….the wave was the worst one we’ve seen.

But we were distanced and wearing masks….and the virus still exploded.

Look at the recent delta variant wave. We have a variant that is extremely easy to spread. Masks and social distancing, for the most part, are a thing of the past, except for a few places. Yet, we didn’t reach the same numbers as late fall. Why is that?

Answer: immunity.

How do viruses burn themselves out? Through masks/distancing or immunity?

Answer: immunity.

If anyone tells you otherwise, they are lying to you.

But I forgot…I just troll and ignore science.

#26233 2 years ago
Quoted from JoeJet:

Here in NY the curve has been heading in the right direction and in LA fitness I would say about 10% or less are wearing masks at my gym. Don't know of anyone I play racquetball with that has gotten sick in the last 6 months since the masks were no longer required and a good percentage of them are not vaccinated. Anecdotal? Sure. Was in Florida last week and I think i saw 1% in the gym with masks ...thier curve is heading south as well.

I would bet given the statistics based on heavy exercise inside, no masks and being unvaccinated that many of them have gotten Covid. I don't understand why you think your opinion is even anecdotal, anecdotal is based on observation and you have zero observational data about infection rates, only on the bad behavior of people.

I'm travelling to Florida in December and I'm uncomfortable with their infection rate and death rate, it's way the fuck higher than my state. Heck, their infection, hospitalization and deaths are way higher than most states in America. I know Floridians are complete idiots, they don't care about the overall safety of their community and country. They don't care about fighting this virus with the rest of us, they only care about themselves. There is a reason why Florida Man is the example of how stupid and crazy Americans can be, Florida is super methed out and don't give a fuck.

#26234 2 years ago

I have a stalker.

314B85BB-1AE3-48E3-B4E8-2F026B290EDB (resized).png314B85BB-1AE3-48E3-B4E8-2F026B290EDB (resized).png
#26235 2 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

It is still 90% effective against hospitalization and severe illness. I will be happy to have a booster when it is recommended for my age group and health status though.
https://www.usnews.com/news/health-news/articles/2021-10-07/studies-show-power-of-pfizer-vaccine-starts-to-wane-after-two-months

I got my booster last weekend.

I was eligible because I work for the NHS front line, AND it was over 6 months after my 2nd dose.
Suggesting to me at least that there is no reduction in effectiveness for serious illness for at least 6months.

The original brief statement is deliberately vague and misleading, without source and should be treated with the disdain it deserves.

#26236 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

You do realize the flu is more deadly to children than covid is?
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/symptoms/flu-vs-covid19.htm

You do realize your link does nothing to support your statement? Rather, it weakens it like most of the links you spit out. Thanks for confirming Covid spreads more easily than the flu though.

You do realize flu vaccines are available for children? You do realize there was 1 official child death attributed to the flu for the 2020 - 2021 season? Almost like masks work or something.

You do realize we are almost two years into this and you’re still spewing out false dichotomy flu nonsense? Let’s play the best of track and get into car crash and cancer statistics too!

#26237 2 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

No joke marijuana smokers at a higher percentage of a Breakthrough case. Wow have to give the designers credit.

Gotta link ? No link = BULLSHIT

#26240 2 years ago

Vaccine #3 done. Wanted to get my immunity up a bit before I wade back into the COVID soup at the hospital in a couple weeks. Really don’t have time to miss two weeks of work!

#26242 2 years ago
Quoted from JoeJet:

Love me some racquetball. Just got back into it after an injury hiatus.

#26243 2 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

What about edibles? Asking for a friend...

#26244 2 years ago
Quoted from Glarrownage:

Sorry if this has been discussed, but I was curious if anyone has reported numbers of people contracting Covid at pinball shows. The York Show is coming up and the pinside thread says "no Covid talk", so I thought I would ask here. Does anyone know the numbers from past shows and how they get reported, if they get reported at all.

There are a bunch of pictures in the York thread from the opening day today. Looks like masks are an uncommon sight (similar to Allentown) but maintaining distance looks relatively easy.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/white-rose-game-show-2020-buy-sell-trade-want-no-hotel-talk/page/13

-Rob
-visit https://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or my Pinball 2000 H+V Video Sync Combiner kit

#26245 2 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

Vaccine #3 done. Wanted to get my immunity up a bit before I wade back into the COVID soup at the hospital in a couple weeks. Really don’t have time to miss two weeks of work!

did you schedule vaccine 4 and 5 yet? when are those due? Oh wait, let me drop a thumbs up and go rub my vaccine diploma on my wall.

#26246 2 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

I was tired for about 18 hours after my 2nd dose, did the booster have any neg affects on you?

#26247 2 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

I know Floridians are complete idiots,

Wonderful. You're a real treat.

#26249 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

But I forgot…I just troll and ignore science.

You’re not being fair to yourself. You’re only ignoring the science behind wearing masks.

BTW, I hate masks and seatbelts and speed limits. I usually just go along to get along (and speeding tickets are expensive).

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 525 of 576.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread/page/525 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.