272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 519 of 576.
#25900 2 years ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

Yep. Doesn't even crack the top 10 of the last few pages.

Ooh. Can we play that game? Top 10 stupidest comments on the corona thread.

#25901 2 years ago

If anyone is interested the FDA meeting regarding booster vaccinations is being live-streamed on the NPR channel on YouTube.

I have it on in the background in my office this morning. Interesting stuff.

Update: So it seems there is a “open mic” type session during the FDA meeting where physicians or researchers from the community can speak for 3 minutes each. If you’ve ever been to a city council or school board meeting, similar stuff. Definitely some interesting perspectives being shared. I do think there is a valid concern that as yet we don’t have data that shows booster vaccination reduces hospitalizations, all the data is looking at serologic immune response.

It will be interesting to see what FDA decides to do.

#25902 2 years ago

San Francisco marathon is requiring masks on portions of the course to be worn by the runners.

https://www.thesfmarathon.com/race-week-health-protocols/

Roughly 7 miles of mask wearing.

Completely ridiculous.

They are going as far as to remove people from the course for not complying. Anyone who would come up with a rule like that has certainly never ran a marathon before.

I’ve already ran 2 of them. Have 2 more coming up in the next few months.

#25904 2 years ago

Currently there is a memorial to those lost to COVID on the national mall in DC.

660,000 white flags.

714AD1CD-40BB-45C2-AC27-5361B40BF08E (resized).jpeg714AD1CD-40BB-45C2-AC27-5361B40BF08E (resized).jpeg
#25905 2 years ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Ooh. Can we play that game? Top 10 stupidest comments on the corona thread.

The stupidest ones tend to get deleted so it wouldn’t be a fair contest.

#25906 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

San Francisco marathon is requiring masks on portions of the course to be worn by the runners.
Completely ridiculous.
They are going as far as to remove people from the course for not complying. Anyone who would come up with a rule like that has certainly never ran a marathon before.

What's the problem? The only thing completely ridiculous here is your comment. Don't like the rules set by the event? Don't run in it. Can't or refuse to follow the rules? Don't run in it. It's really that simple.

Jeff

#25907 2 years ago

FDA update. I listened to probably 30-40% of the meeting today between patients, over lunch, etc.

Seems like members of the panel did not feel there was enough data to support booster shots for all. They did unanimously approve boosters for 65 and older as well as those considered high risk for severe COVID which I would think probably means morbidly obese, diabetics and those with cancer, lung disease, etc.

Also, it sounded like this was pertaining to Pfizer only as the Moderna vaccine is still under EUA and had not applied for booster authorization.

CDC has not weighed in that I am aware of.

#25908 2 years ago
Quoted from jeffro01:

What's the problem? The only thing completely ridiculous here is your comment. Don't like the rules set by the event? Don't run in it. Can't or refuse to follow the rules? Don't run in it. It's really that simple.
Jeff

It’s perfectly clear you’ve never run a marathon before. When was the last time you ran or did vigorous cardio?

Wearing a mask while running 26.2 miles…….

Do you not see a physical issue with this?

When you sweat, which people tend to do when running a marathon, the mask will get very wet, making it harder, if not impossible to breathe.

The last one I ran, by mile 6, my shirt was soaked all the way through.

Or should we just ignore the science of running a marathon?

Know what marathoners don’t wear? Cotton socks.

#25909 2 years ago

So what next? If we aren’t eligible to get a booster and with each month our percentage of protection goes down.

#25910 2 years ago
Quoted from jeffro01:

Jeff

I remember having to remind runners on the treadmill to wear their masks, back before Delta. If I can do it, they can too.

Quoted from jeffro01:

Jeff

Agreed. Checking, it's the National Park rules, not the race rules. National Parks require masks, so they are just following the rules in place for everyone.

#25911 2 years ago

Hospital system clarifying the vax exemption for their employees. I feel like this is similar to the Festivus test. :

https://arstechnica.com/science/2021/09/hospital-staff-must-swear-off-tylenol-tums-to-get-religious-vaccine-exemption/

“Hey it’s cool if you have a problem, but just so you know, morally you can’t take Claritin or Preparation H, or a whole bunch of other meds then either then. So sign on the dotted line and let the allergens flow. (Also, here is a complimentary donut pillow). ”

#25912 2 years ago
Quoted from JimB:

So what next? If we aren’t eligible to get a booster and with each month our percentage of protection goes down.

Well, that’s kind of the question. We have data that shows that antibody levels fall but we have other data that shows the two doses of the vaccine are still highly effective in preventing severe symptoms and hospitalization even now. So, the question is at what point will we see actual protection falling? We don’t have that information yet.

These aren’t easy questions to answer and the FDA/CDC have to weigh the risk of adverse vaccine reactions (which seem to be more common with a third dose based on Israeli data) vs the actual benefit.

#25913 2 years ago
Quoted from JimB:

N95 masks and wait for the next review?

Honestly a whole lot of nothing different for my family. Really would be nice if health care workers were on the invite list, but maybe next time.

#25914 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Completely ridiculous.

I actually agree with Trekkie on this, I'm all for mask mandates inside, but don't quite get them for outside. And I'm also a runner.

#25915 2 years ago

I think it has to do with crowds. If I sneeze with COVID outside without a mask, I can easily infect several people if they’re within a few feet of me. Personally, I’ll just avoid crowded situations until this is over. Easy for me, since I hate crowds anyway.

#25916 2 years ago
Quoted from JimB:

CVS and Walgreens probably will just take your word if you ask for a third dose.

#25917 2 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I think it has to do with crowds. If I sneeze with COVID outside without a mask, I can easily infect several people if they’re within a few feet of me. Personally, I’ll just avoid crowded situations until this is over. Easy for me, since I hate crowds anyway.

Not to be Debbie Downer, but are we sure this is going to ever be over?

#25918 2 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Personally, I’ll just avoid crowded situations until this is over. Easy for me, since I hate crowds anyway.

I have always hated crowds. Back when I would go on rollercoaster trips to different amusement parks I always tried to plan for when they would be the least crowded.

I love all the social distancing now, I used to get tired of just standing in line at a grocery store and someone either bump into me, or step on my foot while I am standing still waiting to check out.

If everyone can just stay a little careful from now on, and give plenty of distance, I think a whole lot of colds and flu will go away.

I know I have not had a cold or any kind of problem in a couple of years now.

And if booster shots do happen, I will go get one when I am eligible.

Also, all my girlfriends tests were negative, and thinking back she thinks it was more heat related that caused her problem. She only had a fever for a few hours, and not sure about the sore throat but it did not last long.

And my aunt that was fully vaccinated back in March has been in and out of ICU for a few weeks now.

Every time they take my aunt out of ICU they have to put her right back in.

I will say my aunt has under lying conditions though. Like 74 years old and way overweight.

(500-600lbs?)

I have a friend that is mid 30's, and he is ever bit of 400lbs, and as active as he is I have no clue how he is so big.

When I talk to him I keep telling him to please be careful and stay away from people.

Quoted from PantherCityPins:

These aren’t easy questions to answer and the FDA/CDC have to weigh the risk of adverse vaccine reactions (which seem to be more common with a third dose based on Israeli data) vs the actual benefit.

And THANKS AGAIN Doc!

I am so glad that you are on Pinside.

#25919 2 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

And generally at the beginning of these races People are crowded in at the starting line,

#25920 2 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

N95 masks and wait for the next review?
//<![CDATA[
window.__mirage2 = {petok:"95477d038c8be51b1f78d0c009bdcfcc363af8c2-1631954623-1800"};
//]]>

Honestly a whole lot of nothing different for my family. Really would be nice if health care workers were on the invite list, but maybe next time.

In the UK, its just been approved that Pfizer booster jab can be rolled out to
Over 50s
High risk
AND front line health care workers.

I'll be getting my 3rd jab as soon as possible, due to working in Theatres

#25921 2 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

I actually agree with Trekkie on this, I'm all for mask mandates inside, but don't quite get them for outside. And I'm also a runner.

Just curious, but do you sweat you run?

I surely can’t be the only one.

I also wonder how the water “stops” will work. That’s got to be fun…running, grabbing water while running, and then trying to drink it with a mask on…while still running.

Just to give you guys an idea of how much preparation goes into running a marathon. On race day, I wake up early and have a bagel with peanut butter and a banana. Warm shower. Then stretching for an hour. Then a heavy dose of body glide everywhere. Then blister band aids on certain toes to prevent blisters. Then on to the corrals. Then more stretching while waiting in the corrals. Then about 10 minutes before I start, I take an energy gel pack. Then I start jumping in place to wake up the leg muscles.

BUT….according to people here, I’m not expected to sweat.

#25923 2 years ago

valid concern that as yet we don’t have data that shows booster vaccination reduces hospitalizations, all the data is looking at serologic immune response.

Does this include data from Israel? They have better tracking than the U.S. and also have mostly Pfizer vaccine. They are reporting lower infection rates after the third dose.

Since I don't think we're going to get much increase in the vaccination rate even with a mandate, a third shot could both increase protection for the vaccinated and decrease the spread. FWIW, I understand the argument that the U.S. would get better results IF we vaccinated the remaining 80M, but that's a BIG "if" that I've given up on.

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/israel-finds-covid-19-vaccine-booster-significantly-lowers-infection-risk-2021-08-22/

#25924 2 years ago
Quoted from roffels:

CVS and Walgreens probably will just take your word if you ask for a third dose.

Agree but that’s not helping our endgame. I would like to see them to focus on a delta shot instead of the 3rd same shot to get us closer to the end. Masking and social distancing is so depressing for who knows how long.

#25925 2 years ago

"Workers in these five industries will be affected the most by Biden's vaccine mandate"

If you want to stay in the company of vaccinated people, you want to hang out with people in the top of this chart.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/17/business/business-vaccine-mandates-industries-states/index.html

Don't hang out with the bottom of the chart:

1) Anybody in the hospitality industry.

2) Stay away from the realtors

3) Stay away from the construction workers.

4) Stay away from fishermen and hunters.

5) Stay away from general service workers.

Instead, you want managers and utility workers as your vaccinated friends.

The one that surprises me the most is healthcare workers. Healthcare workers are not even close to the top. They are in mid-range, just above retail workers.

Screen Shot 2021-09-18 at 8.16.09 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-09-18 at 8.16.09 AM (resized).png
--------------------------------------------------------------

Looks like 70% of Florida's employees will fall into the category that will be getting vaccinated. This should give the Florida governor plenty to complain to his base about.

But it looks like one of those 4 dark blue states might be where you will be around more vaccinated people.

Screen Shot 2021-09-18 at 8.18.54 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-09-18 at 8.18.54 AM (resized).png

Basically, you want to be cautious when entering any small business that falls under the 100 minimum employees number.

#25926 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Just curious, but do you sweat you run?
I surely can’t be the only one.
I also wonder how the water “stops” will work. That’s got to be fun…running, grabbing water while running, and then trying to drink it with a mask on…while still running.
Just to give you guys an idea of how much preparation goes into running a marathon. On race day, I wake up early and have a bagel with peanut butter and a banana. Warm shower. Then stretching for an hour. Then a heavy dose of body glide everywhere. Then blister band aids on certain toes to prevent blisters. Then on to the corrals. Then more stretching while waiting in the corrals. Then about 10 minutes before I start, I take an energy gel pack. Then I start jumping in place to wake up the leg muscles.
BUT….according to people here, I’m not expected to sweat.

This was in San Francisco but you’re location says New Jersey. Why make this big stink about it (Pardon the pun) and now randomly about sweating? No one was even arguing about sweating and prep work LOL.
FD7C98D5-487F-4B03-A8F3-A8397B0F4282 (resized).jpegFD7C98D5-487F-4B03-A8F3-A8397B0F4282 (resized).jpeg

#25927 2 years ago

Yep the corrals are crowded but once the race starts it usually spaces out depending on the race. When I ran the Tokyo marathon it was a half hour after the race started until we got to the starting line. And it was packed tight the entire 26.2 miles. But the smaller races may not be so bad. You could mask up at the start and then ditch it when the runners get spaced apart.

#25928 2 years ago

Brother caught it this week, from his young daughter bringing it home from school. He was vaxed iwth Pfizer
He is on Day 6, and has shared it as, and this is a direct quote,
"Pure Hell, the worst he has ever felt".
He Travels the Globe, and for the Govt in IT security, and has caught many bugs, but this one, he shares, he cant understand why anyone
wouldnt want to be vaxed. He cant imagine it being worse.
Fortunately, his wife is a Doctor, his ex, a Nurse, and his daughter a Covid ICU Nurse, so he is being watched and well cared.

Someone at home, without care or means, has to be in hell, if it hits them hard. Hard to stand tall for someone who says, "No"
to caring about Others.

#25930 2 years ago
Quoted from KerryImming:

Does this include data from Israel? They have better tracking than the U.S. and also have mostly Pfizer vaccine. They are reporting lower infection rates after the third dose.
Since I don't think we're going to get much increase in the vaccination rate even with a mandate, a third shot could both increase protection for the vaccinated and decrease the spread. FWIW, I understand the argument that the U.S. would get better results IF we vaccinated the remaining 80M, but that's a BIG "if" that I've given up on.
https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/israel-finds-covid-19-vaccine-booster-significantly-lowers-infection-risk-2021-08-22/

Yes, in fact the researchers from Israel presented all their data at the meeting. They have good data showing increase in antibodies but they do not have outcomes data.

#25931 2 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

This was in San Francisco but you’re location says New Jersey. Why make this big stink about it (Pardon the pun) and now randomly about sweating? No one was even arguing about sweating and prep work LOL.
[quoted image]

So does this include everyone who picked on Florida when they didn’t live there?

Here’s a serious question: how far removed from reality must one be in order to think it’s perfectly acceptable to wear a mask while running a marathon?

#25932 2 years ago

https://www.nj.com/coronavirus/2021/09/njs-least-vaccinated-counties-are-seeing-60-more-covid-19-cases-than-the-most-vaccinated.html

Breakdown of the counties in NJ. The more vaccinated the county, the lower the case load. The less vaccinated the county, the higher the case load.

Please everyone, get vaccinated if you can.

#25933 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Here’s a serious question: how far removed from reality must one be in order to think it’s perfectly acceptable to wear a mask while running a marathon?

It isn’t acceptable to wear a mask while running a marathon.

Now you can answer my serious question: What kind of idiot packs themselves into corrals with a bunch of other people without masks as they get all warmed up and ready to run during a pandemic.

I feel the mistake isn’t being made by asking runners to wear masks during a race, the actual mistake is having a race where you would need to pack in people like that during a pandemic.

#25934 2 years ago

Yes, in fact the researchers from Israel presented all their data at the meeting.

Thanks for the follow-up.

#25935 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

So does this include everyone who picked on Florida when they didn’t live there?

I'd honestly give up at this point. People don't really understand the difference between wearing a mask at the store, or in the office, and wearing one while exercising or heavily exerting yourself. Totally different ball game.

I've never done a marathon, but have done several 10 milers. And we did Disney this year fully masked, and had to switch out the masks after the first 30 mins of being in the park because they were soaked through with sweat. Those first moments in the park,, you're practically running to get to the back and get on the big rides before the lines build.

All that being said, don't like the marathon's rules, don't run in it. Not much point in bitchin about it really.

#25936 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

I think its excessive being outside. This is all temporary and subjective though. It’s inconvenient but hey, there’s a pandemic and unprecedented in our lifetime. If those are the rules then either accept it or don’t. I have to wear a mask at my gym while jogging and working out. No biggy but it the rules for now.

#25937 2 years ago

there are a lot of runners its actually crowded in SF,they should have rerouted the race knowing the rules in the state park portion.The runners are breathing pretty hard in a cluster and not everyone is local maybe cancel or seperate the race at staggered times in smaller spread out groups.I can barely walk and breathe but I mask no way I could run masked up.

#25938 2 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

It isn’t acceptable to wear a mask while running a marathon.
Now you can answer my serious question: What kind of idiot packs themselves into corrals with a bunch of other people without masks as they get all warmed up and ready to run during a pandemic.
I feel the mistake isn’t being made by asking runners to wear masks during a race, the actual mistake is having a race where you would need to pack in people like that during a pandemic.

I don’t have a problem with wearing masks in a corral.

People wear lots of clothes in the corral…by the time they get close to the start line, the layers start coming off. You see the clothes just flying in the air.

#25939 2 years ago

Pfizer announced the results of their age 5-11 trials, vaccine is highly effective at 1/3 the adult dose. Sounds like they should be submitting to FDA for emergency approval very soon, with FDA expected to take "weeks to months" to act on it.
https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2021/09/20/1038832951/pfizer-and-biontech-vaccine-trials-for-kids-show-the-shots-are-safe-and-effectiv

Question for parents of 5-11 year olds: will you wait on FDA, or try to find a pediatrician that will prescribe the Pfizer vaccine off-label for your kids at the 1/3 dose? My kids are 7 and 10, and I'm very tempted to try to get them vaccinated now. I get why waiting on the FDA is normally the rational thing to do, but it's hard to believe that a) Pfizer badly botched a high-profile trial like this or b) that if Pfizer somehow missed something serious, FDA will catch the error and correct it rather than issuing an emergency approval. I'm also comforted that the Pfizer results align with what we've seen in the 12+ population, which is that this is a very safe and effective vaccine.

I'm not seeing Pinside medical advice, of course, but there are some sharp folks in here and I'd be interested in hearing other people's thoughts.

#25940 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

I don’t have a problem with wearing masks in a corral.
People wear lots of clothes in the corral…by the time they get close to the start line, the layers start coming off. You see the clothes just flying in the air.

I finally went and read what your issue is. This particular marathon goes through National Parks, where it is required to wear a mask when you cannot socially distance.

Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Completely ridiculous.

You are calling it "Completely ridiculous", and out of context I guess it would sounds like the race organizers have gone off the deep end. But it is simply the law of the land they have their course running through. That isn't ridiculous at all. If runners don't want to wear masks running, don't run in that marathon. If you don't like the federal rules...

I hate to make a pinball analogy on a pinball site, but it's like coming to my house to play pinball. You follow my house rules, and if you don't, you get kicked out.

#25941 2 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

I finally went and read what your issue is. This particular marathon goes through National Parks, where it is required to wear a mask when you cannot socially distance.

You are calling it "Completely ridiculous", and out of context I guess it would sounds like the race organizers have gone off the deep end. But it is simply the law of the land they have their course running through. That isn't ridiculous at all. If runners don't want to wear masks running, don't run in that marathon. If you don't like the federal rules...
I hate to make a pinball analogy on a pinball site, but it's like coming to my house to play pinball. You follow my house rules, and if you don't, you get kicked out.

So how far off the deep end must one be to actually think it’s ok to wear a mask while running a marathon?

#25942 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

the layers start coming off. You see the clothes just flying in the air.

Thanks, this visual kinda made my Monday

#25943 2 years ago

No sense in changing the mind of the company president. I have raised the topic many times at meetings but unfortunately people slip up all the time ...I watch it from my office like a spy.

#25945 2 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

No sense in changing the mind of the company president. I have raised the topic many times at meetings but unfortunately people slip up all the time ...I watch it from my office like a spy.

Sorry, what?

#25946 2 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

So how far off the deep end must one be to actually think it’s ok to wear a mask while running a marathon?

You don’t seem to understand that I agree with you. Anyone dumb enough to run in a marathon during a pandemic where they are 100% required to wear a mask because they will be too close to others as they cross through a national park where the law enforces it to the point where they may be fined for breaking the law is an idiot to run in that marathon. You win, I agree, it’s not ok to run in a marathon that you have to wear a mask because of a pandemic! You and I are on the same page. Runners that participate are dumb to risk being that close to so many people breathing heavily that could potentially kill you with their breath. Completely off the deep end, just like you said.

#25947 2 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

This particular marathon goes through National Parks

Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Somehow, I don't think the Nat'l Parks care all that much.

#25949 2 years ago

Covid19 deaths in the US surpassed the Spanish Flu yesterday.

AD4A8979-DBC9-4F6D-A581-95EFDB8D111C (resized).jpegAD4A8979-DBC9-4F6D-A581-95EFDB8D111C (resized).jpeg

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 519 of 576.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread/page/519?hl=gunnut40 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.