272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 517 of 576.
#25800 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

There you have it folks.
Concrete evidence the sheeple are allowing themselves to develop giant impotent sheep balls!!!!!
Don’t be a sheep. Be a free thinker with tiny, working balls who gets their medical advice from social media.
The anti vax movement makes for some strange bedfellows, that’s for sure.
[quoted image]

Perfect. Her cousin in Trinidad. Trinidad, home of Obeah. Voodoo spell casting, which is just about as sound and well-reasoned as the “Do your own research” crowd here that can’t figure out where/were, a/an, or to/too. *chef’s kiss*

#25802 2 years ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

It’s far from a cure. Let’s not kid ourselves.

No, it's 99% effective.

But really, 90+% effective at keeping folks out of the hospital. Obviously the infection rates are in flux with Delta and now Mu on the rise, so I'm not sure that there are solid efficacy numbers available for that quite yet.

https://www.yalemedicine.org/news/covid-19-vaccine-comparison

Quoted from sevenrites:

You can’t be serious.

Serious as a heart attack. I'm sure you've seen news headlines about super-spreader events? It's kind of hard to miss those.

After all, that's how this whole pandemic blew up. One person infected a few others, and each of those people infected a few more, etc. Vaccinated individuals act as a firebreak. This is especially important for people who have serious medical conditions who *can't* take the vaccine or have no immune system in place that can make it work for them.

https://www.popsci.com/health/immunocompromised-covid-19-vaccine/

There's a lot of people out there who are vulnerable through no fault of their own. You're making things much harder for them to be able to re-enter society. If you thought our brief lockdown was painful, imagine what a lot of those people have to do in order to keep themselves safe from this. Some of them haven't been able to go out since early 2020. For them, this highly transmittable infection can mean certain death. Can you imagine how isolating that is?

But here you are spouting some flim flam about "pure blood".

Quoted from sevenrites:

80k people going to college football games

Ok, so that's 8 and a half college football games that got wiped out because of this virus.

Quoted from sevenrites:

and the millions pouring over the southern border

It's not millions. And that has nothing to do with you getting the vaccine. Another logical fallacy.

#25803 2 years ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

You can claim correlation. It gets a bad rap, but It can be a useful analytic when applied appropriately and responsibly. It's a nice tool to bring about some interesting potential causes or relationships between variables. It's also to be taken with a grain of salt, as it does NOT mean causation.
There are plenty of fun examples of spurious correlations. Just riffing, think about the number of xmas trees sold compared to hypothermia cases. Those figures are correlated. Of course, that does not mean that the purchase of a xmas tree is the cause of hypothermia.
To get causation, you would want to run a regression analysis. That takes a robust data set, with all of the potential variables we can gather, and runs a fairly complex mathematical equation to determine each individual variable's effect on Y. For fun we can throw in the number of xmas trees sold compared to cases of hypothermia. We should also throw in things like air temp, etc. When we break down the numbers we're likely to find that the an increase in the number of xmas trees sold does not result in an increase in hypothermia cases, holding all else constant. We are likely to find that for each degree drop in air temp we can expect to see an x increase in the cases of hypothermia, holding all else constant. The way that's phrased is also important.
Anecdotal evidence and making spurious correlations does little more than confuse the general public. The insinuation is that x is the cause of y when such claims are made, with 0 evidence to back up such a claim.

I did not claim cause or correlation. My point was neither are proof, but the popularity of one shows bias.

#25804 2 years ago

And now your here to entertain us!

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#25805 2 years ago
Quoted from bonzo71:

I did not claim cause or correlation. My point was neither are proof, but the popularity of one shows bias.

Popularity of what shows bias?

Data science methods traditionally consider results with 95%+ confidence levels to be statistically significant. No, most often it's not going to "prove" something with 100% certainty, but it's light-years ahead of someone providing one-off anecdotal correlation on Facebook.

#25806 2 years ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

I feel the same about you. Except you’re fearful of a virus that has a 99% survival rate.

Actually, it is about 98%. If I offer you a candy from a bag that has 100 candies, of which two are poisonous and will kill you, would you take one?

#25807 2 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

Perfect. Her cousin in Trinidad. Trinidad, home of Obeah. Voodoo spell casting, which is just about as sound and well-reasoned as the “Do your own research” crowd here that can’t figure out where/were, a/an, or to/too. *chef’s kiss*

Lose/loose

#25808 2 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

As I said, unreachable.
Ok, let me clarify this because i certainly don’t want to be accused of LYING about this!
In order for what you are saying to be true, the worldwide scientific community and every government of the world would have to be in on a massive conspiracy to suppress COVID vaccine deaths and harm. Your proof of this grand conspiracy is the Facebook comments section.
Do I have that right?

This question is a cracker...and the covid deniers need to answer it.

I've worked in government with links to science and policy. Let me tell you, 1 single state government department isn't co-ordinated enough to pull off a consipracy like this, let alone all govenrment departments, across all continents!!!!

I get that people think science and research is sketchy in some instances - it certianly is, but what is worse is the interpretation and/or lack of context so many people leave out when communicating science. Or the fact that people confuse a facebook comment to scientific research.

A paage back there was list of random comments - how you verify these, let alone see if there is causation is a mystery to me.

My personal expereince: I had the pfizer vaccine, and that night got to Encore mode on ACDC. Does that mean the vaccine led me to being better at pinball?

#25809 2 years ago
Quoted from Tuukka:

Actually, it is about 98%. If I offer you a candy from a bag that has 100 candies, of which two are poisonous and will kill you, would you take one?

Yes.

You can’t live in fear.

#25810 2 years ago

Popularity of what shows bias?
Data science methods traditionally consider results with 95%+ confidence levels to be statistically significant. No, most often it's not going to "prove" something with 100% certainty, but it's light-years ahead of someone providing one-off anecdotal correlation on Facebook.

It seems the popular opinion is that the vares database has no use to the point that some wish it were not available. Some believe that of the 15,000+ covid vaccine related deaths in the database, all but 3 are invalid. My bias makes me think 3 is low, but I can't proove it. Why do we not question many of the statistics being thrown around, except this one from the cdc which people believe is 99.9% inaccurate?

#25811 2 years ago
Quoted from Tuukka:Actually, it is about 98%. If I offer you a candy from a bag that has 100 candies, of which two are poisonous and will kill you, would you take one?

98% survival rate, but many of the people that get sick from Covid have long haul problems after "Recovering". Many that are debilitating and / or life shortening.

#25812 2 years ago
Quoted from poppapin:

But was she vaccinated?

She was definitely jabbed

#25813 2 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

This is an absolutely bat-shit crazy comment, just wow.

I think bat-shit crazy is far in the rear view mirror.

#25814 2 years ago

Ours friends had covid back in Dec 2020 and she said her smell and taste were gone for three months and still has bouts where she smells/tastes a aluminum smell then loses her smell for a day or so

Quoted from gambit3113:

I still don’t have much of my smell back from my bout in mid-August. Maybe 10-15% of normal at this point. And sometimes I experience a phantom smell that is pretty overwhelming, which I can only describe as the smell of frying something in hot oil in a cast iron stove. When that happens, I can smell nothing else, and the phantom burning smell I experience is always exactly the same.

#25815 2 years ago
Quoted from Tuukka:

Mmmm.. danger candy..

#25816 2 years ago
Quoted from robm:

I get that people think science and research is sketchy in some instances

flat earthers!

#25817 2 years ago
Quoted from bonzo71:

It seems the popular opinion is that the vares database has no use to the point that some wish it were not available. Some believe that of the 15,000+ covid vaccine related deaths in the database, all but 3 are invalid. My bias makes me think 3 is low, but I can't proove it. Why do we not question many of the statistics being thrown around, except this one from the cdc which people believe is 99.9% inaccurate?

It is not “all but 3 are invalid”.

It IS “only 3 thus far have been proven to be valid”.

I think it is healthy to question raw, non-peer reviewed, unpublished data.

I think it is healthy to question the quality of a government database equivalent of the YouTube comments section.

#25818 2 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

Kind of like any other online community....shall we say perhaps a pinball forum? Don't listen to the Facebook people, listen to the Pinside people.

There's a difference though: on Facebook you only(/mostly) get to see posts that confirm your beliefs. On Pinside there's no algorithm that makes you see only certain kind of posts.

#25819 2 years ago

Mmmm.. danger candy..

Upping the stakes of Harry Potter Bertie Botts Every Flavor Beans.

#25821 2 years ago

Glad you brought it up. Jack Danger sure seems sick. He's worn his mask religiously even outdoors with nobody around. Looked like a complete tool, too. He must be vaccinated. I feel sorry for his kid since she was exploited with pics online with her face diaper. Some would call that child abuse. Giving your kids that experimental shot is abusive and disgusting in my view as well. Anyway, it looks like none of that worked.

Yesterday I went into Rite Aid for printer paper, without a mask. Nobody said a word. Around here, 99% of people do not wear masks and those who do look like the freaks and get the dirty looks.

#25822 2 years ago

Okay, allow me to go to a dark place here for a bit. I need to vent.

I'm really annoyed that this virus isn't more deadly than it is. Morbid as it sounds, I really wish it were more in the area of 75% mortality. None of us would be having this ridiculous conversation then. We would have either "truly" locked shit down for 3 weeks to kill it, or we as a species would likely be wiped out. Either way, the idiots who take chances would likely be dead.

I wonder what the death rate would have been if Sars-COV2 had hit in 1918 instead of H1N1.

#25824 2 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

And again, I probably wasted these keystrokes because you are clearly off in wonderland

Sadly a counterpoint to insanity is necessary to try and steer any remaining casual observers away from the abyss. Your keystrokes are not wasted.

#25826 2 years ago

Here is the vaccine requirements for your kid to attend school in Kansas.

https://www.kdheks.gov/immunize/download/Kansas_School_Immunization_Requirements_FAQ.pdf

Vaccines are required. However, the school board determines whether you kid gets to attend school if your kid is not vaccinated. I don't know how the school boards in this state will act when it is finally OK for kids to be vaccinated.

Screen Shot 2021-09-14 at 9.52.59 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-09-14 at 9.52.59 AM (resized).png

#25828 2 years ago
Quoted from bonzo71:

I don't think I've heard anyone say they wish it weren't available. It's a tool, but dividing the number of reports by the number of vaccinations is not data science. Just like hammering lag bolts isn't the proper use of that tool. Even if that figure of 15,000 deaths were accurate - meaning that a dose of the vaccine is directly responsible for the death of an individual, that would mean the fatality rate would be .0039%. Far lower than the fatality rate of the virus many seem willing to take their chances with.

The good news is if you dispute the work of the data scientists analyzing this database, you're free to educate yourself in the science and evaluate these cases yourself. Otherwise, it seems reasonable that the information provided by the CDC is reliable, especially since its helped to find a plausible causal relationship between a rare condition and serious reaction to the vaccine.

From the CDC:

Reports of death after COVID-19 vaccination are rare. More than 375 million doses of COVID-19 vaccines were administered in the United States from December 14, 2020, through September 7, 2021. During this time, VAERS received 7,439 reports of death (0.0020%) among people who received a COVID-19 vaccine. FDA requires healthcare providers to report any death after COVID-19 vaccination to VAERS, even if it’s unclear whether the vaccine was the cause. Reports of adverse events to VAERS following vaccination, including deaths, do not necessarily mean that a vaccine caused a health problem. A review of available clinical information, including death certificates, autopsy, and medical records, has not established a causal link to COVID-19 vaccines. However, recent reports indicate a plausible causal relationship between the J&J/Janssen COVID-19 Vaccine and TTS, a rare and serious adverse event—blood clots with low platelets—which has caused deaths pdf icon

#25829 2 years ago
Quoted from girloveswaffles:

98% survival rate, but many of the people that get sick from Covid have long haul problems after "Recovering". Many that are debilitating and / or life shortening.

True. Long covid affects about 25% of covid patients. So, let's replace 25 of the good candies with ones that are slightly less poisonous and only cause you some nasty symptoms and shorten your life. Now there are 73 good candies, 25 life shortening and two deadly. But who wants to live in fear, so go ahead and treat yourself.

#25830 2 years ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

I feel sorry for his kid since she was exploited with pics online with her face diaper. Some would call that child abuse. Giving your kids that experimental shot is abusive and disgusting in my view as well.

These are all talking points of anti-vaxxers.

What's wrong with you? Neither of those things are abuse.

#25831 2 years ago

It is probably not as fun as living on Facebook, but I think the info. is a little more valid.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4599698/

" Vaccines are rigorously tested and monitored and are among the safest medical products we use. Millions of vaccinations are given to children and adults in the United States each year. Serious adverse reactions are rare. However, because of the high volume of use, coincidental adverse events including deaths, that are temporally associated with vaccination, do occur.

"1. Background
Modern vaccines are among the greatest public health achievements in history, preventing thousands of illnesses and deaths each year in the United States alone [1]. However, as illness, disability and death from vaccine-preventable diseases have decreased, concerns over vaccine safety have increased [2]. Despite the reality that a person is far more likely to be seriously or fatally injured by a disease prevented by vaccines than by a vaccine itself, there appears to be a trend towards increased refusal or delay of recommended vaccinations due to perceived safety concerns [3].

"During the US multi-state measles outbreak of 2014–2015, most infected persons were not vaccinated against measles or had unknown vaccination status...

#25832 2 years ago

“Anaphylaxis after COVID-19 vaccination is rare and has occurred in approximately 2 to 5 people per million vaccinated in the United States.

Thrombosis with thrombocytopenia syndrome (TTS) after Johnson & Johnson’s Janssen (J&J/Janssen) COVID-19 vaccination is rare. As of September 1, 2021, more than 14.3 million doses of the J&J/Janssen COVID-19 Vaccine have been given in the United States. CDC and FDA identified 45 confirmed reports of people who got the J&J/Janssen COVID-19 Vaccine and later developed TTS.

Myocarditis and pericarditis after COVID-19 vaccination are rare. CDC and FDA have confirmed 817 reports of myocarditis or pericarditis. “

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/safety/adverse-events.html

So to summarize the argument, these rare side effects are terrifying and should be avoided at all cost, but 5% chance of being hospitalized with covid is no big deal.

FYI an actual covid infection has significantly higher rates of adverse reactions in nearly every. Single. Category.

A quick example: thrombosis for hospitalized covid patients overall is around 1 in 5. Much higher rates and more severe for icu patients.

#25833 2 years ago

I’ve heard the making kids wear masks is child abuse non-sense before, funny thing is it’s by the same people calling everybody snowflakes.

#25834 2 years ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

Around here, 99% of people do not wear masks and those who do look like the freaks and get the dirty looks.

I think it is a bit strange, that mask wearing mandates are offence to human rights, but if you voluntarily wear one, you are a freak and get the dirty looks. Don't the rights apply here as well?

#25836 2 years ago

I value the lives of my kids and grandkids as well as all others so I choose to protect them not say oh well face diaper hehehe.Your a spoon .Thats a tool.

#25837 2 years ago

I cannot find the link now, but the other day something was up with military families and military child care. The military has some of the best child care around. And all the while they are talking about military child care, which is located on military posts, all of the little kids were wearing masks. They looked like they were just having a grand time. The mask was not a bother to them.

Meanwhile the rest of the country is filled up with a bunch of wussies.

#25838 2 years ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

rare (resized).jpg

All of these conditions also happen for reasons other than a vaccination, so rare usually means insignificant compared to historical occurrences. These conditions are also more likely if you get infected with COVID than from the vaccine, so YES, rare.

Since the vaccination rate in the U.S. is not likely (in my opinion) to get much higher than it is (currently 63% with at least one dose), we will all eventually be exposed to COVID. Unvaccinated people will have ~15% chance of being hospitalized. Vaccinated people will fare much better with some avoiding infection completely and others having milder cases.

#25839 2 years ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

she was exploited with pics online with her face diaper

Confucius say: one who talk about “face diaper” may be talking shit.

#25840 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

all of the little kids were wearing masks. They looked like they were just having a grand time. The mask was not a bother to them.

My kids (7, 4, 4) wear a mask without issue. They even leave it on longer than they need to in some cases. The only case I've heard against masks on kids is it's somehow developmentally disruptive, but there's little evidence to support that. I tend to think getting intubated and separated from your family is more disruptive.

If you're actually concerned about our kids having to wear masks, get your fucking vaccine.

#25842 2 years ago

Mmmm.. danger candy..

I had to borrow (and "edit" ) this from the Candy Corn thread:
Danger Candy (resized).jpgDanger Candy (resized).jpg
*Edit
Note: Three out of 100 of the other nine candies will still screw you up for the rest of your life. All of these won't do your teeth much good either.

Thanks OLDPINGUY

#25844 2 years ago

Face masks are here to stay for kids. Wish it would have happened when my kids were younger, they wouldn't have gotten sick as often and I could have saved a fortune in orthodontist bills.

#25845 2 years ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

I feel sorry for his kid since she was exploited with pics online with her face diaper. Some would call that child abuse. Giving your kids that experimental shot is abusive and disgusting in my view as well. Anyway, it looks like none of that worked.
Yesterday I went into Rite Aid for printer paper, without a mask. Nobody said a word. Around here, 99% of people do not wear masks and those who do look like the freaks and get the dirty looks.

Buck up buttercup, stop being such a drama queen, taking the recommended safety precautions during a global pandemic isn't child abuse, that's a ridiculous thing to say. I don't know what small town you live in, but where I live you'd not only get a dirty look for not wearing a mask in a Rite Aid, you'd get asked to leave.

#25846 2 years ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Ours friends had covid back in Dec 2020 and she said her smell and taste were gone for three months and still has bouts where she smells/tastes a aluminum smell then loses her smell for a day or so

I lost my sense of smell for about 2 days and was pretty freaked out about it until I realized who gives a shit? Smelling things ain’t so great.

Then it came back.

#25847 2 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

These are all talking points of anti-vaxxers.
What's wrong with you? Neither of those things are abuse.

Some people, frankly, are just terrible People.

#25848 2 years ago

Another radio host who was anti-covid vaccine dies.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/14/media/bob-enyart-death-covid/index.html

Looks like this is #4 of the radio hosts dying.

" "It comes with an extremely heavy heart that my close friend and co-host of Real Science Radio has lost his battle with Covid," said co-host Fred Williams on Facebook."

Real Science Radio ?? You could have fooled me.

"In October, Enyart won a lawsuit against the state of Colorado over its Covid-19 restrictions, CNN has reported."

If this keep up, Howard Stern might be the only radio host still on the air.

#25849 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I lost my sense of smell for about 2 days and was pretty freaked out about it until I realized who gives a shit? Smelling things ain’t so great.
Then it came back.

Well, you do live in New York City so I could see how a loss of smell could be considered a blessing in disguise…

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 517 of 576.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread/page/517 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.