272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 576.
#151 4 years ago
Unknown (resized).jpgUnknown (resized).jpg
#152 4 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

Funny, the more we react to this appropriately (social distancing, shut downs, closing schools, washing hands, etc), the bigger chance we can make it look like an overreaction later.

I hope this does look like an overreaction at some point in the future, but I doubt it. Measuring our efforts against other countries that are further down the road than us - Italy - they did not react fast enough and are having a horrible time with it now.

China and South Korea - their interventions makes our "overreaction" look like a spring break beach party, but they seem to have things under control.

I read something the other day which stuck with me - 'The paradox of the novel coronavirus response is that it only works if we take aggressive steps before they seem necessary and, if they work, will not have seemed necessary. Success will look like we overreacted.'

#153 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

[quoted image]

Boy did these guys get a bunch of unwanted publicity

#154 4 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Here’s something informative and relevant to this site. Just started putting more stuff in my Marco cart so I can at least work on games, and this notice popped up.
I did just get another order three days ago without any delay. But this notice wasn't there then.[quoted image]

Awh shit. No pinball parts? Now its getting real !!

#155 4 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

Yes, but the amount of suicides likely will increase over lost retirements, no employment, high debt, etc. Our suicide rates are already high and trending higher, this is only going to accelerate it.

Look, there's no way to debate this side without getting political, so I'll say it this way. What you state above only strengthens what I've been saying. If the economy can't withstand what is happening now, then it wasn't much of an economy. If everything was the best its ever been 2 weeks ago, where are all the reserves? That money didn't just disappear. It traded hands..and who's hands do you think it went to? Panic didn't cause this, people are BUYING what they think are essentials. There should be buffers. Apparently there aren't, so maybe our normal way of running an economy isn't so great after all and needs to be rehashed.

Funny thing is I've always thought the world could stand to lose a few billion people, and yet here I am defending humanities right to fight to live...strange times.

#156 4 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Wonder how busy my lake will be couple weeks . glad I love to eat the fish I catch. I have been filling gas cans like there is no tomorrow.

YES EH - you know we are in trouble when they shut down the hockey and ration the Timmies - where's good old Don to tell us how it is with "those people" that brought this down on all of us

#157 4 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

Thanks for the information. It is interesting (although note that the Death toll estimates for the 1919 flu vary - providing a range rather than a precise value would have been better).
But... there is a small problem here.
This chart uses a small font for a critical information: "On-going".
It should be "ONGOING" in uppercase / bold / underlined characters.
The same chart plotted at the beginning of any pandemic would make it look minor...
Here is another graphic (sorry it's in French, Etats-Unis stands for USA).
Exponentials are nasty. Really.
Results may be a bit skewed between countries depending on kit availability - which can also change with time. Figures for Iran are probably inaccurate - not enough tests, people staying and dying at home, etc.
The one country that seems to have broken the exponential growth curse is South Korea ("Corée du Sud").
[quoted image]

That’s a little better chart. But it doesn’t account for age, health, previous conditions, etc. Face it here. The first chart on this thread says it all. Most people will live, and like the “experts” say old or vulnerable people will not. I’m curious how many Twenty year olds on this thread think this is overrated vs 50+ that are screaming chicken little

Sounds like the facts are in, don’t get this if your old and grumpy. I’d like to see the stats on young healthy people that already got the virus. I bet that number is next to zero

#158 4 years ago

No podcast for Don? ...thought he would

#159 4 years ago

My company has applied for a waiver from the PA governors office to keep operating, even though we make nothing remotely life sustaining. We are allowed to keep working past the deadline while our case is heard and a decision is made. Why? Money. Now mind you, the people who are pushing us to stay working are currently working from home, safe and sound. We should have shut down days ago. If we do shut down and someone gets sick from being here for the last week...well, so sorry...your health insurance runs out April 1st. Good luck! Sounds awesome.

#160 4 years ago
Quoted from wolfemaaan:

Most people will live, and like the “experts” say old or vulnerable people will not. I’m curious how many Twenty year olds on this thread think this is overrated vs 50+ that are screaming chicken little

Latest CDC numbers referenced already in this thread. High percentage of 20-54 required hospitalization.

Read more. Stay informed. You have no parents or grandparents or elderly people in your orbit?

Stay healthy!

#161 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

My company has applied for a waiver from the PA governors office to keep operating, even though we make nothing remotely life sustaining. We are allowed to keep working past the deadline while our case is heard and a decision is made. Why? Money. Now mind you, the people who are pushing us to stay working are currently working from home, safe and sound. We should have shut down days ago. If we do shut down and someone gets sick from being here for the last week...well, so sorry...your health insurance runs out April 1st. Good luck! Sounds awesome.

That sucks to hear man. Good luck. If ever there was a time for mass healthcare, it is now, at least for the short term.

#162 4 years ago

Besides the elderly, another high risk group will be younger, normally healthy healthcare workers that will be working long hours, past the point where they are tired, treating people that are ill from this.

#163 4 years ago
Quoted from wolfemaaan:

That’s a little better chart. But it doesn’t account for age, health, previous conditions, etc. Face it here. The first chart on this thread says it all. Most people will live, and like the “experts” say old or vulnerable people will not. I’m curious how many Twenty year olds on this thread think this is overrated vs 50+ that are screaming chicken little
Sounds like the facts are in, don’t get this if your old and grumpy. I’d like to see the stats on young healthy people that already got the virus. I bet that number is next to zero

The point that you are either ignoring or failing to understand is the impact on healthcare systems if this virus goes unchecked. At the moment, no country has enough ICU beds to accommodate even the conservative estimates of how many may need to be admitted. That means the healthcare system will be effectively crippled. If the healthcare system is seeing unprecedented demand, and all ICU beds are full, what happens when you are in a car accident? Or you're diagnosed with an aggressive yet treatable cancer? Or any other health emergency that could happen to any one of us, at literally any time?

I'm 33 and in good health. I'm not worried for myself, I'm worried for everyone who could be affected or is at risk. Occasionally, just occasionally you have to consider the impact of your actions on others, and not view the world from an entirely self-centred position.

#164 4 years ago
Quoted from JustLikeMe:

The point that you are either ignoring or failing to understand is the impact on healthcare systems if this virus goes unchecked. At the moment, no country has enough ITU beds to accommodate even the conservative estimates of how many may need to be admitted. That means the healthcare system will be effectively crippled. If the healthcare system is seeing unprecedented demand, and all ITU beds are full, what happens when you are in a car accident? Or you're diagnosed with an aggressive cancer yet treatable cancer? Or any other health emergency that could happen to any one of us, at literally any time?
I'm 33 and in good health. I'm not worried for myself, I'm worried for everyone who could be effected. Occasionally, just occasionally you have to consider the impact of your actions on others, and not view the world from an entirely self-centred position.

I actually don’t mainly because we are going to die from panic than the disease itself. Nobody is talking about once you survive it, you are cured. So I’m getting in my car, and doing my stuff. Then I’ll come back and you guys will still be running around with your hair on fire accomplishing nothing. Good luck with that

#165 4 years ago

Empathy among some, is now the biggest Virus.

#166 4 years ago
Quoted from wolfemaaan:

I actually don’t mainly because we are going to die from panic than the disease itself. Nobody is talking about once you survive it, you are cured. So I’m getting in my car, and doing my stuff. Then I’ll come back and you guys will still be running around with your hair on fire accomplishing nothing. Good luck with that

I'm honestly not sure what you're trying to say here. I get that you think you don't think you have to consider the impact of your actions on others, which is wonderful of you, but what difference does it make that once you have survived it you are 'cured'?

That has nothing to do with what happens when the healthcare system cannot cope during the peak - and all measures that are currently being suggested or enforced are focused on lowering the infection rate, which in turn lowers the numbers infected at the peak, allowing the healthcare system to cope and continue treating people who are critically ill - and not just due to the coronavirus.

By the way, and just for future reference - the term you want to use in the future is 'immune', not cured.

#167 4 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Empathy among some, is now the biggest Virus.

Of course, if it was his demographic, he'd be yelling at the old bastards to do something about it. Lack of vision.

#168 4 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Latest CDC numbers referenced already in this thread. High percentage of 20-54 required hospitalization.

Not a random sample. Who do you think is getting tested? Those in high-risk groups. People who are asymptomatic or mildly symptomatic aren't getting tested, they're just going into "self-quarantine." Do you think the virus magicallly got several times more risky for young folks when it went from China to the US?

#169 4 years ago
Quoted from wolfemaaan:

I'm not panicked...you seem panicked. I think all this 'panicked' talk is overblown. I don't see anyone panicked so it must not be an issue.

#170 4 years ago

Deleted.

#171 4 years ago

The statement 'once you get over it you're cured' is false. There have been multiple reports of people getting re-infected after recovering.

#172 4 years ago

I’m reluctant to wade into this thread but in the interest of helping someone who may have honest questions I will.

I am a board certified internal medicine physician working in the Fort Worth, Texas area.

If anyone has a question regarding COVID-19 I will be happy to try and answer.

Please be aware I will ignore troll posts.

Thanks, wash your hands, limit your unnecessary exposure to others and stay safe!

#173 4 years ago
Quoted from wolfemaaan:

Nobody is talking about once you survive it, you are cured.

No, not always. You may end up with permanent (or at least long lasting, time will tell) lung damage. Including for relatively young people. This was one of the nasty surprises here in France.

#174 4 years ago
Quoted from pinball_ric:

The statement 'once you get over it you're cured' is false. There have been multiple reports of people getting re-infected after recovering.

This is still up for debate - the general consensus is currently that the cases in which this has been seen was likely caused by false negative tests, followed by a correct positive, but I don't think anyone knows for certain.

#175 4 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

I’m reluctant to wade into this thread but in the interest of helping someone who makes have honest questions I will.
I am a board certified internal medicine physician working in the Fort Worth, Texas area.
Please be aware I will ignore troll posts. Thanks, wash your hands, limit your unnecessary exposure to others and stay safe!

If you've read any of this thread or any of the multitude of others, feel free to comment/correct/inform on anything anyone may have stated. We've covered such a myriad of scenarios regarding this. At this point I think most people are just concerned about their livelihoods.

#176 4 years ago

Illinois closing all non essential businesses starting Monday...you heard it here first.

#177 4 years ago
Quoted from JustLikeMe:

I'm honestly not sure what you're trying to say here. I get that you think you don't think you have to consider the impact of your actions on others, which is wonderful of you, but what difference does it make that once you have survived it you are 'cured'?
That has nothing to do with what happens when the healthcare system cannot cope during the peak - and all measures that are currently being suggested or enforced are focused on lowering the infection rate, which in turn lowers the numbers infected at the peak, allowing the healthcare system to cope and continue treating people who are critically ill - and not just due to the coronavirus.

What I’m say is quit trying to apply your panic on me. I’m not telling you to quit running around with your hair on fire, go ahead and do it. Meanwhile I’ve seen enough data and I’m not concerned about this virus. And the facts and data I’m seeing is backing this up. So you do you, how about that?

#178 4 years ago

OK. How widespread do YOU think it will get? Any ideas? Do you think we will get a handle on it? If so, how long do you think it will take?

Can we believe any thing we hear about a forthcoming vaccine? And what is your opinion with this off-label testing that is going on?

#179 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Besides the elderly, another high risk group will be younger, normally healthy healthcare workers that will be working long hours, past the point where they are tired, treating people that are ill from this.

Yup. They are exposed multiple times over from multiple sources. Being exhausted will only make it worse.

#180 4 years ago

Didn't know you could fit the Stanley Cup in a pkg of Tp

1584722261063-1913737193 (resized).jpg1584722261063-1913737193 (resized).jpg
#181 4 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Didn't know you could fit the Stanley Cup in a pkg of Tp[quoted image]

I’m guessing it won’t be found in Canada.

#182 4 years ago
Quoted from JustLikeMe:

This is still up for debate - the general consensus is currently that the cases in which this has been seen was likely caused by false negative tests, followed by a correct positive, but I don't think anyone knows for certain.

Actually it’s not. You’re cured buddy. No new strains have been detected, that’s why it’s called Covad 19. It is a derivative of SARS and originally SARS-CoV-2

If they were reporting Covad 19 and Covad 20, etc we’re developing then I’d be concerned

#183 4 years ago

That's good one !!!

#184 4 years ago
Quoted from JustLikeMe:

I read something the other day which stuck with me - 'The paradox of the novel coronavirus response is that it only works if we take aggressive steps before they seem necessary and, if they work, will not have seemed necessary. Success will look like we overreacted.'

Absolutely, both you and RTR are correct about the optics of it.....this is what happened with swine flu. The modeling showed it spreading and covering Mexico and the U.S. in a few short weeks but the computer modelling can't account for the human reactions and endeavors to stop or mitigate it.

Working from home just isn't the same....

ESwdjW6XkAInaAp (resized).jpgESwdjW6XkAInaAp (resized).jpg
#185 4 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

haha

#186 4 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

If you wipe your a$$ and find a cup you got problems!

#187 4 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Didn't know you could fit the Stanley Cup in a pkg of Tp[quoted image]

Hah, I just watched an episode of Two Bears one Cave the other day where they brought in the Stanley Cup. I wasn't knowledgeable about it, but I found the history and rules around it pretty interesting.

So I guess no drinking from that for awhile

#188 4 years ago
Quoted from wolfemaaan:

What I’m say is quit trying to apply your panic on me. I’m not telling you to quit running around with your hair on fire, go ahead and do it. Meanwhile I’ve seen enough data and I’m not concerned about this virus. And the facts and data I’m seeing is backing this up. So you do you, how about that?

So I can understand your viewpoint better, rather than limited posts, could I ask you to share with us
where you find your data and facts/news source.
I am curious.

#189 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

OK. How widespread do YOU think it will get? Any ideas? Do you think we will get a handle on it? If so, how long do you think it will take?
Can we believe any thing we hear about a forthcoming vaccine? And what is your opinion with this off-label testing that is going on?

Without significant limitations on person to person spread it will become widespread within a month or so in the US.

Yes, we will eventually get a handle on it, the question is how many people will die before we do. If we keep our medical system from being overwhelmed we will have fewer deaths.

Vaccine is 12-18 months from being widely available from what I have seen and heard so far.

There are several drugs out there that may have some benefit based on anecdotal evidence but it remains to be seen if that effect will hold up under more widespread use. I will say that there isn’t a whole lot we have in our toolbox at the moment so most doctors are willing to try drugs that may help.

Thanks for your questions.

#190 4 years ago
Quoted from wolfemaaan:

Actually it’s not. You’re cured buddy. No new strains have been detected, that’s why it’s called Covad 19. It is a derivative of SARS and originally SARS-CoV-2
If they were reporting Covad 19 and Covad 20, etc we’re developing then I’d be concerned

Here is just one article talking about a reinfection and rehospitalization. There are many more if you look.
Perhaps you don't know how to use google?

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/story/2020-03-13/china-japan-korea-coronavirus-reinfection-test-positive

#191 4 years ago

Thanks for making laugh! I need that

#192 4 years ago

Sing it like they do in the State Farm ads...

C0730020-1761-43F6-99B3-A7376D8C3467 (resized).jpegC0730020-1761-43F6-99B3-A7376D8C3467 (resized).jpeg
#193 4 years ago
Quoted from wolfemaaan:

This is incorrect. There are at least two strains out currently in the world.

SARS-CoV-2 is the name of the virus. COVID-19 is the name given to the disease process caused by SARS-CoV-2. The name will not change based on the calendar year.

#194 4 years ago

tough call when someone is basically spreading what could be considered false information as fact, but the reality is we don't really know one way or the other yet...

#195 4 years ago
Quoted from pinball_ric:

Not impossible like anything, but unlikely.

“If you get an infection, your immune system is revved up against that virus,” Keiji Fukuda, director of Hong Kong University’s School of Public Health, told the Los Angeles Times. “To get reinfected again when you’re in that situation would be quite unusual unless your immune system was not functioning right.”

#196 4 years ago

This is incorrect. There are at least two strains out currently in the world.
SARS-CoV-2 is the name of the virus. COVID-19 is the name given to the disease process caused by SARS-CoV-2. The name will not change based on the calendar year.

Name the other strain?

#197 4 years ago
Quoted from wolfemaaan:

I'm not suggesting that anyone panics, and I'm not sure why you think I am. I'm suggesting that it is selfish of you to only consider the direct impact that this might have on you personally, and not on anyone around you. I was also pointing out that the potential risk of this virus isn't limited to those who catch it, but on the impact to a healthcare system which in its current state doesn't have the capacity to cope. I'm also suggesting that everyone takes simple precautionary steps to help the greater good.

If you honestly aren't concerned about this virus then you are either only looking at what the impact of catching this virus will have on you as an individual, or you simply don't understand the wider repercussions. Unfortunately, neither selfishness nor ignorance makes you correct.

In terms of 'you do you' - I'm all for personal liberty, but when your actions could directly contribute to harm to others I take issue. Just like with drunk driving.

Quoted from wolfemaaan:

If you reread what I wrote I was actually agreeing with you there, albeit with a caveat that more evidence is required - it still seems likely that once you have survived it you are immune (not cured).

#198 4 years ago
Quoted from wolfemaaan:

Nobody is talking about once you survive it, you are cured.

Because it’s not true. You are immune for at best, a year

#199 4 years ago
Quoted from wolfemaaan:

Name the other strain?

L type and S type.

#200 4 years ago

This is fascinating Doctor. Thank You for your trusted information

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 576.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread/page/4?hl=dakotamike and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.