272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 462 of 576.
#23051 2 years ago

https://www.wired.com/story/the-teeny-tiny-scientific-screwup-that-helped-covid-kill/

interesting article about scienceing and the need to re examine the differences of droplets vs. aerosols......

why some scientist got it wrong and what it took to correct the mistake.

#23052 2 years ago

About the mix-n-match vaccines:

I got my first shot of Astra-Zeneca in March, and was scheduled to get the other shot after 10 weeks (yes that's a longer delay than what the manufacturer recommends). Due to some blood clot incidents, A-Z became restricted to over 65 years old in my country. So the 2nd shot I got last week was Pfizer.

Now, after more research, it actually looks like the longer delay between doses actually increases vaccine efficacy. And what comes to mix-n-match, preliminary studies seem to show that mixing adenovector vaccine with mRNA vaccine may make them more efficient, but more side effects have been reported. I am not a medical professional, so I can't comment on those results. Anyway, probably much more testing would be required before any proof.

As for me, no side effects from either vaccines, just my elbow was a bit sore for a day. I am happy being vaccinated, but will continue wearing mask in public, and avoid large crowds.

#23053 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

What kind of ID did you need to provide for dose #2 in Las Vegas? Is it a walk-in service? Thanks for the details.

Driver's license. Being an out of state license holder did not matter. I googled "covid vaccine near me" and clicked the link to the closest location. Clicked on "schedule appointment" and scheduled it for 10 am the next morning. Printed out a simple form and filled it in to take with me.
Pharmacy was already closed that evening. I hear that they are now walk-in in Las Vegas.

#23054 2 years ago
Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

While ago I took our vaccination cards and had copies made, and had the copies laminated.

Has anyone ever asked to see it? I keep mine with my passport in case it is needed for international travel.

I guess the photo on my phone would do if someone did ask. I emailed the image to my gmail as well, to have a extra backup in the cloud.

#23055 2 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

Has anyone ever asked to see it?

Not yet. I am just trying to be prepared for what may happen in the future.

It was only $1.57 for me and my girlfriend to both get the laminated copies.

I have always been like this, anything that I think is pretty important I have copies made and have them laminated.

My first SS card became so messed up I could not read it, so I laminated the spare one, and that is what started all this for me.

#23056 2 years ago

Not yet. I am just trying to be prepared for what may happen in the future.
It was only $1.57 for me and my girlfriend to both get the laminated copies.
I have always been like this, anything that I think is pretty important I have copies made and have them laminated.
My first SS card became so messed up I could not read it, so I laminated the spare one, and that is what started all this for me.

Someone didn't read the fine print...

Screenshot_20210603-071828 (resized).pngScreenshot_20210603-071828 (resized).png
#23057 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

There is really not much left about Covid to talk about except the politics.

I still think it's important to determine with some certainty the origin. Not to feed the biasing machines on cable TV or to bash the Chinese, but for the same reasons we needed to figure out what happened at Three Mile Island and Chernobyl - i.e., to learn. In the Spanish Flu pandemic from 1917 example, best judgement today is it species-jumped in rural America and would have died out quickly in that isolated geography (because it aggressively killed its victims) were it not for swiftly pulling men from remote geographies into service for WWI.

I found this transcript worth the read: https://s3.amazonaws.com/media.hudson.org/Transcript-%20The%20Origins%20of%20COVID-19-%20Policy%20Implications%20and%20Lessons%20for%20the%20Future.pdf

Not that the answer will be determined in this thread, but the unanswered question lingers on my radar.

-Rob
-visit https://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or my Pinball 2000 H+V Video Sync Combiner kit

#23058 2 years ago
Quoted from Tuukka:

About the mix-n-match vaccines:
I got my first shot of Astra-Zeneca in March, and was scheduled to get the other shot after 10 weeks (yes that's a longer delay than what the manufacturer recommends). Due to some blood clot incidents, A-Z became restricted to over 65 years old in my country. So the 2nd shot I got last week was Pfizer.
Now, after more research, it actually looks like the longer delay between doses actually increases vaccine efficacy. And what comes to mix-n-match, preliminary studies seem to show that mixing adenovector vaccine with mRNA vaccine may make them more efficient, but more side effects have been reported. I am not a medical professional, so I can't comment on those results. Anyway, probably much more testing would be required before any proof.
As for me, no side effects from either vaccines, just my elbow was a bit sore for a day. I am happy being vaccinated, but will continue wearing mask in public, and avoid large crowds.

In the UK, there is a 12-week gap between the 2 doses, which was done to maximise % receiving at least 1 dose early on in the vaccine campaign, and also based on the hypothesis (that had some supportive data) that a longer gap would increase efficacy. Real world evidence for AZ subsequently found that the 12-week gap does indeed increase efficacy, to 89% vs symptomatic Covid i.e. similar to what Pfizer saw in its trials, and better than what AZ had in its trials:

https://www.astrazeneca.com/content/dam/az/covid-19/media/factsheets/COVID-19_Vaccine_AstraZeneca_Real-World_Evidence_Summary.pdf

I had my 2nd AZ dose after 12 weeks, and I'm totally fine with that. No side effects after AZ apart from 3 days of slight muscle tenderness at the injection site after dose 1.

As of today, 75% of UK adults have received 1 vaccine dose and 50% both doses:

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk

#23059 2 years ago

Very interesting info on breakthrough cases (vaccinated people getting COVID) and mask effectiveness, about 27 minutes in. Dr. Osterholm has been on the national news and NPR many times discussing COVID-19. He is very well-known here in Minnesota and I think around the world.

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/covid-19/podcasts-webinars/episode-56

My take-away is that vaccinated people under 65 are VERY low risk and for them masks less than N95 add minimal protection.

#23060 2 years ago
Quoted from toddsolus:

https://www.wired.com/story/the-teeny-tiny-scientific-screwup-that-helped-covid-kill/
interesting article about scienceing and the need to re examine the differences of droplets vs. aerosols......
why some scientist got it wrong and what it took to correct the mistake.

Thanks for sharing. Fascinating how “science” can turn out to be someone’s brief skimming of another individuals unfinished experiment- decades ago. Well, don’t put your face masks away if want to avoid colds and flu when windows are closed- for the rest of your life. 3ft, 6ft, 12ft- it doesn’t matter in some closed environments. Probably better long term to put masks away and suffer for a better future immune system.
It was odd how the WHO kept insisting on bleaching everything and denying it was airborne.

#23061 2 years ago
Quoted from Trogdor:

Well, don’t put your face masks away if want to avoid colds and flu when windows are closed- for the rest of your life. 3ft, 6ft, 12ft- it doesn’t matter in some closed environments.

Right. As anyone who has lived in East Asia during the last 30+ years can tell you, if you insist on leaving the house when you're sick, wearing a facemask can help protect those around you from a variety of airborne illnesses. It's the polite thing to do! Hope it catches on in the States, I'd be happy to take fewer coughs and sneezes to the face while riding the bus next cold/flu season.

Quoted from Trogdor:

Probably better long term to put masks away and suffer for a better future immune system.

Got a study for that? "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger" sounds great coming from your highschool football coach, but I'm not sure it's been established as a scientific axiom just yet.

Quoted from Trogdor:

It was odd how the WHO kept insisting on bleaching everything and denying it was airborne.

Yes, the WHO clung to their conventional wisdom approach of treating Covid exactly the same as flu (which they apparently also misunderstood) for far too long, badly embarrassing themselves and contributing to many additional needless deaths. Hopefully they'll show a bit more capacity to think on their feet next time.

#23062 2 years ago
Quoted from Trogdor:

Well, don’t put your face masks away if want to avoid colds and flu when windows are closed- for the rest of your life. 3ft, 6ft, 12ft- it doesn’t matter in some closed environments. Probably better long term to put masks away and suffer for a better future immune system.

Hopefully, one positive thing to come out of this will be much stricter indoor air filtration standards. That's the best thing we can do to prepare for the next airborne pandemic.

#23063 2 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

the next airborne pandemic.

COVID-23

#23064 2 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

Someone didn't read the fine print...[quoted image]

That's true, but at least one can get a copy of their SS card but it may not be easy to replace the shot card. As a side note you must have a copy of your birth certificate with you to renew your drivers license in Texas currently. How many folks can find their copy ? I assume that is to avoid identity theft.

#23065 2 years ago

What doesn’t kill you, still tried to kill you.

#23066 2 years ago

I came home today and my wife was talking to one of her lifelong friends. Well at least till now. She's a anti believer. Not sure what to think what is true or false. Feels pressured to get vaccinated but neither her or her husband and kid will get the shot. Her mom is one also and refuses to get a shot for something that is made up in her opinion even though her husband is fully vaccinated and pressuring her to get it.

How the Fuk can people still not think this is real? Like we're all wanting to stay home and quarantine from basically everyone? I can maybe see (and thats a stretch) if you don't want a shot because of science but thinking this is fake, you're a moron.

#23067 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinball_Postal:

a copy of your birth certificate

Oh yeah, I laminated that also.

#23068 2 years ago

Oh yeah, I laminated that also.

and something like this in your living room?

77B3EFD5-056A-4CBE-B7ED-00FDCAF07FFF.png77B3EFD5-056A-4CBE-B7ED-00FDCAF07FFF.png
#23069 2 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

Dude, I have never been married, (and I never grew up either), I don't need a sofa, plastic chairs and one of those wooden things that used to have wire around it for a table is all good here.

The only piece of furniture that I own that is not plastic is a lazy boy recliner.

Which reminds me, I need to laminate that recliner.

Furniture is a waste of space and money.

All you need is some good games, and some space for a mattress.

Commercials on tv advertises all these sofas and crap for 1588.00.

Plastic chairs are like 9.88.

More money for games! (and Natty).

The funny part is I am pretty serious, stop by if you are ever passing through the Atlanta area.

We are safe. We had our shots, and we have the laminated cards to prove it.

#23070 2 years ago

Dude, I have never been married, (and I never grew up either), I don't need a sofa, plastic chairs and one of those wooden things that used to have wire around it for a table is all good here.
The only piece of furniture that I own that is not plastic is a lazy boy recliner.
Which reminds me, I need to laminate that recliner.
Furniture is a waste of space and money.
All you need is some good games, and some space for a mattress.
Commercials on tv advertises all these sofas and crap for 1588.00.
Plastic chairs are like 9.88.
More money for games! (and Natty).
The funny part is I am pretty serious, stop by if you are ever passing through the Atlanta area.
We are safe. We had our shots, and we have the laminated cards to prove it.

Next time I'm in Mableton let's rage Johnny!!!

#23071 2 years ago

Anyone seen any studies on mixing Pfizer or Moderna as a second dose with Astra Z (first dose)? Here is Canada, if you had Astra Z for your first dose, you are allowed to mix for the second. Thanks for the help!

#23075 2 years ago

I read an interesting observation this morning.

Currently, 612,203 U.S. citizens have died of Covid 19. It took just a little bit over a year for 612K to be reached.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/05/health/aids-40-anniversary-first-reported-cases-trnd/index.html

"Saturday marks the 40th anniversary of the nation's first reported cases of AIDS. More than 700,000 people in the US have died of the disease since then -- and though medical advancements have drastically changed the prognosis for HIV/AIDS patients, there remains to this day no cure."
==========================

AIDS patients have been dying at the rate of 17,500 per year. Covid rides in and takes out 612K in 14 months.

#23076 2 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

[quoted image]

Growing up all the Italian moms in South Philly had that plastic all over their couches, made your legs stick to it. LOL

#23077 2 years ago
Quoted from poppapin:

Growing up all the Italian moms in South Philly had that plastic all over their couches, made your legs stick to it. LOL

Reminds me of cliffy protectors on inlane switches

#23078 2 years ago

I went to Walmart the other day and they had flyers at the front for "free covid vaccinations with no appointment needed."
I wonder if they are offering these at all Walmarts?

#23079 2 years ago

Thanks for the article. Ontario is mixing vaccines, I think mainly due to supply of AZ. Those 70 and over that had the AZ as a first dose can get either P or M as their second dose. Be interesting to see if there are any side effects from this strategy.

#23080 2 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

I went to Walmart the other day and they had flyers at the front for "free covid vaccinations with no appointment needed."

The Walmart near me in Massachusetts was announcing them over the PA last Saturday. Free, no waiting. Gillette Stadium where the Patriots play has signs on the major road outside that announce walk-in appointments available. So basically anyone in Massachusetts can get one, likely the same day they decide they want it. That’s why I’m fine the mask mandate was lifted. Everyone here has had plenty of opportunity to get vaccinated.

#23081 2 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

Those type of signs are all over up here: Walmart. Kroger, Walgreens, CVS. I don't think anyone in the city is more than 2 miles from a vaccination station. All no appt. necessary.

Our vaccination rate is dismal 38.9%.

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=what+is+the+covid+vaccinaton+rate+in+kansas&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

#23082 2 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

So basically anyone in Massachusetts can get one, likely the same day they decide they want it.

Well, anyone over the age of 12.

#23083 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

AIDS patients have been dying at the rate of 17,500 per year. Covid rides in and takes out 612K in 14 months.

The virus that causes AIDS is nowhere near as communicable as Sars-CoV-2.

#23084 2 years ago
Quoted from smalltownguy2:

The virus that causes AIDS is nowhere near as communicable as Sars-CoV-2.

Yeah, pretty sure if HIV was spread in the air we’d all have been dead by 1997. If you’re gonna compare viruses research the death tolls on the Black Plague 75,000,000–200,000,000 (20% of the population)
vs
COVID-19’s 3,000,000-4,000,000 (0.0003% of the population)

#23085 2 years ago

I remember when people in this thread were comparing Covid19 to the Spanish Flu saying it wasn't as deadly. Don't make me look for the posts That was because the timeline had not yet happened. I guess it was a talking point to downplay the virus for some reason. Fast forward to now and its comparable to the Spanish Flu.

675,000 dead from Spanish Flu
597,000 dead from Covid19 (and counting).

The Black Plague was the biggy though.

#23086 2 years ago

What’s the end game for people still downplaying COVID, trashing the vaccine, and shit talking Fauci?

Seriously would like an answer that helps me make sense of it.

#23087 2 years ago

My first dental appt in 1 1/2 years today. People in lobby are wearing masks. One lady is non-stop coughing. Her lungs sound like they are full of crap. Dentist and techs no masks. Person that does the cleaning is wearing an obviously debris covered face shield. This was Greenberg which is the Popeyes of dentistry. Think I may try to find a smaller, independent shop.

#23089 2 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

the Popeyes of dentistry

When you put it that way.... Maybe try to find the Starbucks or In-n-Out of dentistry?

#23090 2 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

What’s the end game for people still downplaying COVID, trashing the vaccine, and shit talking Fauci?

when the responsible Americans get vaccinated and wear masks and this gets under control all the others will say see I told you it was a hoax.And some of them will believe it.

#23091 2 years ago

https://www.cbs58.com/news/former-wisconsin-pharmacist-who-tampered-with-covid-vaccines-sentenced-to-3-years-in-federal-prison

Steven Brandenburg, the pharmacist accused of intentionally tampering with nearly 60 vials of the Moderna COVID-19 vaccine at a Grafton hospital, was sentenced to three years in federal prison on Tuesday, June 8.

Brandenburg was fired from Advocate Aurora Hospital after admitting to intentionally removing more than 500 doses of the Moderna coronavirus vaccine from refrigeration.

The DA noted that Brandenburg is an admitted conspiracy theorist who told investigators he believed the vaccine was unsafe and could change people's DNA.

In addition to the term of imprisonment, the judge ordered Brandenburg to serve three years of supervised release and to pay approximately $83,800 in restitution to the hospital.

#23092 2 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

423252ED-3CB3-4557-B969-D693D749F9DE (resized).jpeg423252ED-3CB3-4557-B969-D693D749F9DE (resized).jpeg
#23093 2 years ago

Some of the conservative media outlets/people have done their best to discount Fouci’s credibility, chastising him publicly since the beginning of the pandemic. Its only because he wasn't in synch with the former administrations message to down play the pandemic and wearing masks. I know it hurts the feelings of some of the cone-heads in the forum to hear this but its a fact and now history. His emails being made public recently was as big ta do about nothing. He said the same thing publicly that he said privately in the emails on the origin of Covid-19.

Quoted from RTR:

What’s next??? The India variant that's on the way. Those unvaccinated will have to hope wearing a mask is enough or figure out an alternative way to dodge it.

Vaccines that are 80%-95% effective is a medical miracle. There are other countries that WISH they were able to to get it while only 58% in the US are still on the fence "looking at the data" or flat out not getting it (medical reasons aside).

Its frustrating but what can you do? They are trying lotteries, free beer, cheeseburgers and even GUNS in some states but still people are hesitant.

#23094 2 years ago

Even though I had the J&J shot, if I have to go to Walmart I WILL wear a mask still.

While ago I went to Lowes, and I had my mask in my shirt pocket in case anyone asked me to put one on, but it was not crowded, so I was not worried.

With all these new variants popping up all the time I think I will just wear a mask anytime I have to go to a crowded place, or Walmart.

Quoted from mrm_4:

Yeah, pretty sure if HIV was spread in the air

If that was spread in the air no way would I ever go to Walmart again.

#23095 2 years ago

Point in time visual summary of vaccines and variants. Probably will be obsolete in a week, but handy for now.

Note that officially variants aren’t known as “British” “Indian” etc anymore. The graphic attempts to showcase this too.

47CAB9B6-C985-4629-A6F5-842881061EF2.jpeg47CAB9B6-C985-4629-A6F5-842881061EF2.jpeg
#23096 2 years ago

Saw today that 170 employees of Methodist hospital system in Houston were suspended for refusing to comply with the companies mandated COVID vaccine. Of course they are suing, stating the vaccine is “experimental” and violates their rights.

I really think we need to bring back Schoolhouse Rock or something to get some basic civics knowledge into the American public. You don’t have a right to dictate the terms of your employment.

#23097 2 years ago

Can the employees sue the employer if it is a requirement to work there and they have an adverse reaction to the vaccine?

#23098 2 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

You don’t have a right to dictate the terms of your employment.

Unless they are union.

#23099 2 years ago
Quoted from rwmech5:

Can the employees sue the employer if it is a requirement to work there and they have an adverse reaction to the vaccine?

That's a good question. I suspect we will be seeing all sorts of vaccine related lawsuits over the next year or so.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 462 of 576.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread/page/462?hl=gunnut40 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.