272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 461 of 576.
#23000 2 years ago
Quoted from RonSS:

I don't.
At the end of the day I can remove my ID badge, uniform, and pants.
Sexual harassment training, yeah, its in your head I guess, I'll give you that.
Basic accepted safety standards, there's the sticking point. Who is accepting it? Maybe you, maybe me 2 years from now after I've seen true long term effects. 5 months doesn't tell me a whole lot. Hey, look, cigarettes are fine, I've been smoking a pack a day for 5 months!
Maybe your employer should demand you be a vegetarian, or do yoga three times a week? Maybe they shouldn't allow alcohol or smoking/vaping outside of work hours (or within!)?
I know everyone is on high alert and just wants this "over", but I can't help feel we may be rushing in just a tad.

Actually…many employers require you can’t drink or smoke. Mine certainly did in regards to drinking. You literally couldn’t even use mouth wash within 24 hrs of reporting to work.

#23001 2 years ago

The problem I see is that my medical history is nobody’s business. In Canada we even have laws for privacy around health issues.

But the whole world is butting heads on the topic of vaccination. My boss should not know wether or not I have had the shot, it’s none of their business. But this is different some how. I’m fairly sure that being required to show vaccination cards would go against our charter of rights and freedoms. Yet for travel they will be required.

Your desire for safety buts right up against my desire for privacy. Where does the line get drawn? I plan to get the shot, I’ve registered for it, but it shouldn’t need to be public knowledge.

We’re far from figuring out the correct course of action, and I assume more mistakes will be made along the way.

#23002 2 years ago
Quoted from rwmech5:

No one should be forced to take anything. That is a slippery slope. Put yourself in their shoes if your employer said you had to take a shot you weren’t comfortable with.

Workers should have a right to a safe workspace and expectation of their employer to providing one.

Quoted from RonSS:

Maybe your employer should demand you be a vegetarian, or do yoga three times a week? Maybe they shouldn't allow alcohol or smoking/vaping outside of work hours (or within!)?

At least none of those things sound bad.

#23003 2 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

Can you provide a link to this info because when i looked it up there was 14 total deaths yesterday in Ontario and no word on if they were vaccinated. I find it highly unlikely they were all vaccinated with 4% being total vaccinated in your area. Every link i find says same amount of deaths but not a single one says they were vaccinated so I just want to get the facts straight so if you have a link to back up your claim id like to read it. Ive been keeping a close eye on the death rate of fully vaccinated so if true Id like to know the facts.
https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2021/05/28/ontario-is-reporting-1273-new-covid-19-cases-14-deaths.html

These are total numbers, not for one day. See link below:

https://cc.bingj.com/cache.aspx?q=death+statistics+after+second+dose+of+covid+vaccine&d=4996554709407467&mkt=en-CA&setlang=en-US&w=xoOtYFBsORDgK5bbSotfhCeQGKyvxGwa

#23004 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I would try to pass myself as an Australian or Canadian. Certainly not as an "Americano".

If you want to pass yourself off as an Aussie , just swear a lot .
If I had known my Willie would shrink to the size of a cocktail wennie , I would have given it more thought .

#23005 2 years ago
Quoted from RonSS:

Except that was known before you were hired, and the shots were already FDA approved, not emergency authorized.
Also, to my understanding, the shot doesn't necessarily stop you from "passing this stuff around ", nor acquiring it. NY Yankees anyone?

Actually the Yankees getting covid was good sign from what i understand for the type of vaccine they had.They all got the Johnson & Johnson shot and all except 1 were asymptomatic which is exactly what that shot is suppose to do. I feel the J&J is the worst option out of all 3 that we have available here in US but at least its keeping people from getting hospitalized. The double shots, specificly the Pfizer and Moderna are suppose to help with the "passing this stuff around" part of the problem.

Once the official approval happens is when things are going to get messy. Military i could see all being required to be vaccinated. Sick soldiers put the country in a weakened position is what they will say. Imagine a battleship with Covid running rampant full of sick soldiers vs a battleship fully vaccinated.

If im wrong please correct me because I hate the spread of misinformation.

#23006 2 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

If you eating steak caused a deadly disease that kills your coworkers, then yes. Your employer should be able to force you to be vegetarian.
The term for this is “reductio ad absurdum” (reduction to absurdity). You are attempting to bring it all the way to absurdity to be able to say it shouldn’t apply. It’s a commonly used fallacy that is pretty disingenuous.

It's only a matter of time before "What about cars. Are you saying we should ban cars?!?" gets introduced!

#23007 2 years ago

Vietnam says they have detected a British/Indian hybrid variant.

Tuyệt vời

https://apnews.com/article/vietnam-india-coronavirus-pandemic-health-c4c0a7c9f2e3b03c9cea2bf6fdcad70d

#23008 2 years ago
Quoted from RonSS:

Except that was known before you were hired

Actually, it was not known known. The recruiters don't exactly go around talking that stuff. The recruiters like to hammer on about all of the girls you will see in the ports of the south seas islands. Or they talk about the education you will be getting. Or the free medical etc. They do not talk about you getting your head shaved, or marching at all hours of the day. They don't talk about that. You find all that stuff out when you get off the bus at boot camp.

Quoted from RonSS:

Also, to my understanding, the shot doesn't necessarily stop you from "passing this stuff around ", nor acquiring it

That is the way I understand it, too. Sounds like a good argument to keep wearing masks for awhile longer.

#23009 2 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

If you eating steak caused a deadly disease that kills your coworkers, then yes. Your employer should be able to force you to be vegetarian.
The term for this is “reductio ad absurdum” (reduction to absurdity). You are attempting to bring it all the way to absurdity to be able to say it shouldn’t apply. It’s a commonly used fallacy that is pretty disingenuous.

Like comparing a uniform to injecting something into my body?

#23010 2 years ago

https://www.reuters.com/article/health-coronavirus-usa-employers/us-agency-says-employers-can-mandate-covid-19-vaccination-idUSL3N2NG010

U.S. companies can mandate that employees in a workplace must be vaccinated against COVID-19, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) said on Friday.

The EEOC, in a statement posted on its website explaining its updated guidance, said employees can be required to be vaccinated as long as employers comply with the reasonable accommodation provisions of the Americans with Disabilities Act and other laws.

#23011 2 years ago

For me I think we draw the line between privacy and mandatory vaccines for workers when its a pandemic and over half a million people have passed.Your medical history should never be available without permission but this is a special situation where your only sharing shot or not.

#23012 2 years ago

Seems to me that if your employer decides that it is in their customers and their businesses best interest for you to be vaccinated then they can require you to be vaccinated in order to keep your job. You then have the option of leaving and finding work elsewhere. You don’t get to dictate the terms of your employment. As long as they aren’t discriminating on the basis of race, religion sexual orientation, etc. then it’s their business and their right.

This really isn’t new, lots of jobs that can cause public harm have strict requirements, airline pilots, air traffic controllers, doctors, police officers, etc.

#23013 2 years ago

Health Canada just extended the expiry date of the Astra Zeneca vaccine by a month. (From 6 months to 7)

About 50,000 doses were set to expire Monday (May 31st). But now it'll be July 1st.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/astrazeneca-covid19-vaccine-expiry-date-1.6045685

#23014 2 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

Seems to me that if your employer decides that it is in their customers and their businesses best interest for you to be vaccinated then they can require you to be vaccinated in order to keep your job. You then have the option of leaving and finding work elsewhere. You don’t get to dictate the terms of your employment. As long as they aren’t discriminating on the basis of race, religion sexual orientation, etc. then it’s their business and their right.
This really isn’t new, lots of jobs that can cause public harm have strict requirements, airline pilots, air traffic controllers, doctors, police officers, etc.

US capitalist "At will" employment cuts in many ways. It is interesting that many that defend the employer's right to fire employees for trivial things (or for no reason at all) with no financial consequences to the employer are defending the employee when it comes to employer vaccine requirements.

#23016 2 years ago

Health Canada couldn't find tits in a strip joint. They could not have done a worse job handling the pandemic. The knee jerk way they change their policies damages their credibility. From the no masks to mask always or go find a glory hole (wtf was Tam thinking?) and now the way the vaccines can be mixed and matched and the span between doses to 4 months or longer. People can't even book the 2nd dose yet even after 3 months. Not a lot of faith in them.

#23017 2 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Health Canada just extended the expiry date of the Astra Zeneca vaccine by a month. (From 6 months to 7)
About 50,000 doses were set to expire Monday (May 31st). But now it'll be July 1st.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/astrazeneca-covid19-vaccine-expiry-date-1.6045685

I like the explanation
“Ehhh just don’t worry about it. Initially we used science to determine a safe shelf life but now that we might have to throw these out pfffft science-shmience, think of the money we will save. Sure it’ll spook you but just don’t think about it.” -Doctor

#23018 2 years ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

I like the explanation
“Ehhh just don’t worry about it. Initially we used science to determine a safe shelf life but now that we might have to throw these out pfffft science-shmience, think of the money we will save. Sure it’ll spook you but just don’t think about it.” -Doctor

It is also possible that science has determined the original estimate was off a bit......you know...like the age of the universe.....or....the fact that the earth actually orbits the Sun and not the other way around.....etc....

I drank milk today that expired 2 days ago according to the date printed....didn't even curdle in coffee.....

#23019 2 years ago

Its hard to feel sorry for people like this especially since he was mocking it so confidently. "I have an immune system". Yeah, but its no match for some viruses i.e. COVID19. You live and you learn I guess.

#23020 2 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

US capitalist "At will" employment cuts in many ways. It is interesting that many that defend the employer's right to fire employees for trivial things (or for no reason at all) with no financial consequences to the employer are defending the employee when it comes to employer vaccine requirements.

I consider it a privilege to work not a right. I think if you work in place where you interface with the public in a routine fashion i.e. food/hospitality, medical, dentistry you should be vaccinated. As a customer I would hope everyone in those industries would be conscious enough to do so. Health and safety should be priority.

Now a days everything is photographed and videoed so if you do something embarrassing, controversial or illegal its an employers right to not employ you. You're also a representative of the company and its reputation. Take for example this imbecile that climbed a fence at a zoo and fed the monkeys hot Cheetos. She was fired even though it was outside of work.

https://www.newsweek.com/woman-fired-allegedly-feeding-monkeys-hot-cheetos-texas-zoo-1595097

#23021 2 years ago

Damn, the second deputy in that department to die of Covid in a month. They whole department has been vaccine eligible since January, even had a $500 incentive to do it. The department is going to consider it a death in the line duty - which basically makes it a workers comp death and increases his benefits. If it is considered an occupational hazard for them, makes you wonder why the vaccine is optional.

His death will be attributed to Covid, but what really killed this 33 year old man was anti-vax propaganda. If you read the story, the guy had created a social media bubble that reinforced his poor decision. In my opinion, anti-vaxxers, anti-maskers, and others in this category helped to kill this man and leave a kid with no dad and widow.

#23022 2 years ago

The people that were drafted in the military had no say in the shots that were given to them. I'm pretty sure that many of those shots were not even emergency use authorized, especially in the 50's and 60's.

Employers can demand blood and urine drug tests before and during the time one is employed. One can accept it, walk away or get fired if that is their policy.

#23023 2 years ago
Quoted from toddsolus:

It is also possible that science has determined the original estimate was off a bit......you know...like the age of the universe.....or....the fact that the earth actually orbits the Sun and not the other way around.....etc....
I drank milk today that expired 2 days ago according to the date printed....didn't even curdle in coffee.....

Science has become politicized in Canada.

- Mixing vaccines
- extending 2nd doses beyond the manufacturers recommendation.
- extending expiration dates set by the manufacturers.
- raiding the COVAX supply bin from third world countries.

I'm at the point where I don't even listen to Dr. Tam, our graphic designer health Minister or Health Canada anymore. The CDC is much more credible.

But yea....whoever wants to be a guinea pig and get an expired vaccine shot, go to town.

#23024 2 years ago
Quoted from toddsolus:

You missed the point. But sure compare a gallon of milk to a pandemic vaccine because that argument will actually hold in this echo chamber of a thread.

Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Science has become politicized in Canada.
- Mixing vaccines
- extending 2nd doses beyond the manufacturers recommendation.
- extending expiration dates set by the manufacturers.
- raiding the COVAX supply bin from third world countries.
I'm at the point where I don't even listen to Dr. Tam, our graphic designer health Minister or Health Canada anymore. The CDC is much more credible.
But yea....whoever wants to be a guinea pig and get an expired vaccine shot, go to town.

Exactly! Politics interfering with science is not only a Canadian problem.

#23025 2 years ago
Quoted from toddsolus:It is also possible that science has determined the original estimate was off a bit......you know...like the age of the universe.....or....the fact that the earth actually orbits the Sun and not the other way around.....etc....

And if the expiration date was another week out but the milk was sour you would bitch because the milk producer “ripped you off” with product going bad early.

Expiration dates are a “best to use by date” beyond which time the producer is telling you they don’t guarantee performance or flavor.

I recently had to clean out my deceased neighbor’s house. The tuna fish had expired in 2015 and still tasted great. The can of condensed milk that expired in 2016 was pure garbage.

#23026 2 years ago

We went to Busch Gardens and had dinner at a Texas Roadhouse this weekend. Busch Gardens was not bad at all. Texas Roadhouse felt weird. It was really good though. That was our first meal out in a year and a half more or less. I think a couple weeks from now will be telling....

#23028 2 years ago

*I hope this isn’t too political*

Quoted from Jamesays:

Your medical history should never be available without permission but this is a special situation

The “special situation” is the crux of the argument. In Canada we have the charter of rights and freedoms, it includes things like, the government can’t limit our travel, in of, out of, or around the country. It also says we can get together in groups and in church. So the anti-mask/anti-vax crowd is yelling that lockdown is against our rights. (They may be right) but they usually overlook the very first part of the charter.

1) Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms guarantees the rights and freedoms set out in it subject only to such reasonable limits prescribed by law as can be demonstrably justified in a free and democratic society.

Does the pandemic and state of emergency provide excuse for “reasonable limits” or could the lockdown be “demonstrable justified” the courts will have to decide.

#23029 2 years ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

You missed the point. But sure compare a gallon of milk to a pandemic vaccine because that argument will actually hold in this echo chamber of a thread.

look, I don't really care...The milk thing was just a joke.... but just to be clear, the point is that "science" has to adapt and re evaluate.....that is what "science" is.... a verb, not a noun.
This has been a reoccurring theme in the difficulties for some in understanding why Dr Fauci (among others) has changed public health policy recommendations for how to best deal with the pandemic in regards to PPE
...as well as how long the vaccine is effective/fresh/....etc

Quoted from cottonm4:

And if the expiration date was another week out but the milk was sour you would bitch because the milk producer “ripped you off” with product going bad early.

No....No I wouldn't.

#23030 2 years ago
Quoted from toddsolus:

that is what "science" is.... a verb, not a noun.
This has been a reoccurring theme in the difficulties for some in understanding why Dr Fauci (among others) has changed public health policy recommendations

I agree with adapting after further study. But let’s be clear, that is NOT the reason Fauci changed anything and if anyone actually believes that then a whole entire thread should be dedicated to explanation.

9569E613-B90C-4E94-853F-5194CD42C556 (resized).jpeg9569E613-B90C-4E94-853F-5194CD42C556 (resized).jpeg
#23032 2 years ago

Step right up folks!!!

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/canada-mixing-covid-19-vaccines-astrazeneca-pfizer-moderna-naci-1.6048152
tenor.giftenor.gif
*should be a Canadian flag in the background instead

#23034 2 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Step right up folks!!!
*should be a Canadian flag in the background instead

Is that not science? Evolve your guidelines, theories as newer and better evidence/Data is discovered. Science is data driven - it does not mean that your theory is 100% day one. Not only that but the reason science works is because others are constantly challenging it with - guess what more science. It isn’t burying your head in the sand and saying I believe what I want to believe.

Science does not mean that its conclusions are always right but it does provide the basis for informed decision making. Educated guesswork (research) is still better than uninformed nonsense.

#23035 2 years ago

Exactly why clinical trials have been completed in the past before released to the general public.

#23036 2 years ago
Quoted from PBFan:

Science is data driven - it does not mean that your theory is 100% day one.

Or done on day 100 or 1000. A sample size of 450 doesn't give me much confidence either. But yea....whoever wants to lineup and roll up their sleeve for this can go to town.

We wouldnt even be discussing this if our (Canada) vaccine procurement was done properly. I guess putting all your chips into the Chinese Cansino vaccine program first before our American partners backfired. And these are the resulting consequences.

#23037 2 years ago
Quoted from PBFan:

Is that not science? Evolve your guidelines, theories as newer and better evidence/Data is discovered. Science is data driven - it does not mean that your theory is 100% day one. Not only that but the reason science works is because others are constantly challenging it with - guess what more science. It isn’t burying your head in the sand and saying I believe what I want to believe.
Science does not mean that its conclusions are always right but it does provide the basis for informed decision making. Educated guesswork (research) is still better than uninformed nonsense.

Well said.

#23038 2 years ago

The cases and deaths charts are starting to look real good. Maybe we are over the hump.

Screen Shot 2021-06-01 at 3.08.22 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-06-01 at 3.08.22 PM (resized).png

Screen Shot 2021-06-01 at 3.08.41 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-06-01 at 3.08.41 PM (resized).png

This thread has always skirted around the edges of the politics and Covid has turned into a political football. There is really not much left about Covid to talk about except the politics. I would love to talk the politics but since I am not interested in being moderated anymore ( it has been awhile) I think I will just lurk for awhile.

I have enjoyed reading everybody's opinions and diatribes.

Hugs and kisses.

#23039 2 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

We wouldnt even be discussing this if our (Canada) vaccine procurement was done properly. I guess putting all your chips into the Chinese Cansino vaccine program first before our American partners backfired. And these are the resulting consequences.

Not sure how slow procurement relates to people who won’t roll up their sleeves and get vaccinated. Even with adequate supplies it wouldn’t make any difference to those folks. 2 totally different issues here.

#23040 2 years ago

While ago I took our vaccination cards and had copies made, and had the copies laminated.

That way we can leave the originals at home for potential future use, and the copies will not get worn while carrying them.

#23041 2 years ago

End of June for me and the wife to get our second shot if it doesn't get sped up quicker here in Saskatchewan. Wife and I were talking last night about Mephis BBQ and Beale Street as our next trip whenever we can travel and things are back open again.

#23042 2 years ago
Quoted from PBFan:

You are absolutely right with all this. However…..The point that’s not being addressed is so much conclusion is now influenced rather than reported as is.

Life nowadays is this kind of example:

“Yes 3+3=6 but before you tell the masses we really need 3+3 to equal 5.5 for the time being. That way our sponsors are happy that the findings are in their favor and then we can revisit the actual answer being 6 once some of the dust settles.”

The problem we have is people think anyone with a lab coat on and a degree automatically translates to being honest angels that can do no wrong and aren’t influenced by money.

#23043 2 years ago
Quoted from PBFan:

Not sure how slow procurement relates to people who won’t roll up their sleeves and get vaccinated. Even with adequate supplies it wouldn’t make any difference to those folks. 2 totally different issues here.

I think you misread what I wrote. I never said anything about those not wanting to be vaccinated.

I'm talking about those not wanting to get vaccinated with mix-n-match vaccines as a second dose. Two completely different things.

And the failed procurement process directly related to this new mix-n-match vaccine policy because we didn't place our order(s) in a timely manner with the US and were late to the table. Putting all our eggs in the CanSino program blew up in our faces and now we're basically having real time clinical trials that will be done on the public for political reasons.

If we procured enough from each manufacturer(s) we wouldn't even be entertaining the idea of mixing-n-matching vaccines as a second shot. Hence why the failed procurement relates directly to this new mix-n-match policy.

Science evolves, I get that. But this is rushing something to save political face. And I'm not a fan of that.

#23045 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

The cases and deaths charts are starting to look real good. Maybe we are over the hump.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
This thread has always skirted around the edges of the politics and Covid has turned into a political football. There is really not much left about Covid to talk about except the politics. I would love to talk the politics but since I am not interested in being moderated anymore ( it has been awhile) I think I will just lurk for awhile.
I have enjoyed reading everybody's opinions and diatribes.
Hugs and kisses.

And back to you Cotton!

#23046 2 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

I think you misread what I wrote. I never said anything about those not wanting to be vaccinated.
I'm talking about those not wanting to get vaccinated with mix-n-match vaccines as a second dose. Two completely different things.
And the failed procurement process directly related to this new mix-n-match vaccine policy because we didn't place our order(s) in a timely manner with the US and were late to the table. Putting all our eggs in the CanSino program blew up in our faces and now we're basically having real time clinical trials that will be done on the public for political reasons.
If we procured enough from each manufacturer(s) we wouldn't even be entertaining the idea of mixing-n-matching vaccines as a second shot. Hence why the failed procurement relates directly to this new mix-n-match policy.
Science evolves, I get that. But this is rushing something to save political face. And I'm not a fan of that.

I received Dose #1 in Detroit. I went for dose #2 in Las Vegas at a pharmacy. I was asked which brand I wanted for dose #2. I specified what I wanted before giving the tech my card showing which brand I got with dose 1.

#23047 2 years ago

I agree that politics and money do influence science and introduce bias for sure but for the most part Western society does a decent job of keeping it at bay. Politicians are supposed to bring people with differences together, however, the trend is for them to find wedge issues and drive everyone apart which is too bad because we are capable of such greatness when working together.

#23048 2 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

I received Dose #1 in Detroit. I went for dose #2 in Las Vegas at a pharmacy. I was asked which brand I wanted for dose #2. I specified what I wanted before giving the tech my card showing which brand I got with dose 1.

What kind of ID did you need to provide for dose #2 in Las Vegas? Is it a walk-in service? Thanks for the details.

#23049 2 years ago

cottonm4 keep an eye on Vietnam (and Southeast Asia writ large) but otherwise keep on truckin

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 461 of 576.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread/page/461?hl=jamesmc and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.