272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 456 of 576.
#22750 2 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I'm very sorry about this Daditude.
When people claim COVID is fake, or has a 99.99% survival rate, these stories are the ones I think of.
People I know have lost loved ones. I've had some friends get it and recover, but I've also had ones get "long haul" COVID and they are just not the same any more (mental fog etc.)
I'm really glad we're approaching the end of this mess due to amazing vaccine technology, and furious that people's selfishness and ignorance allowed us to lose so many lives.

Well said. It's very frustrating dealing with family members and friends who either believe the pandemic is fake or is overblown. Just over the past two weeks I've heard these new comments from friends and family...

"A mask really does more harm then good if you read about it"

"The numbers are inflated, hospitals get paid to report Covid deaths when people are not dying from it"

"My spouse had Covid and is fine" (making generalizations that it affects everyone the same...)

#22751 2 years ago

Was fully vaxxed weeks ago. Wish me luck!

#22752 2 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I agree that it's sad, but if that's what it takes, then desperate times call for desperate measures. They are using money that was already earmarked for COVID relief, so this seems like a perfectly reasonable way to spend it.

I guess my question is: Are we the only country that has to bribe its citizens to get this done? Or are the other countries bringing out he lollypops and candy canes, as well?

I can kind of remember being a little kid and getting some sort of gift/bribe to do something that might have not been all that pleasant to do. But it is a fleeting memory.

#22753 2 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

My county just hit a 70% vaccination rate for people with at least the first dose, my neighborhood just hit 80%. I expect our infection rate to drop off dramatically soon, especially now that kids 12 and up can get the vaccine. Back when this thread started we all imagined all kinds of scenarios for how this might play out, but it's looking really positive IF PEOPLE GET VACCINATED.
It's crazy to think, if all the world had the vaccination rate of my neighborhood, we'd have herd immunity and this virus would be over.

Quoted from nwpinball:

My county just hit a 70% vaccination rate for people with at least the first dose, my neighborhood just hit 80%. I expect our infection rate to drop off dramatically soon, especially now that kids 12 and up can get the vaccine. Back when this thread started we all imagined all kinds of scenarios for how this might play out, but it's looking really positive IF PEOPLE GET VACCINATED.
It's crazy to think, if all the world had the vaccination rate of my neighborhood, we'd have herd immunity and this virus would be over.

Is the 80% for Ballard? That’s great news neighbor! What source do you use for neighborhood vaccination breakdowns?

Edit: found it on the King Co. website. Exciting news!

#22754 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I guess my question is: Are we the only country that has to bribe its citizens to get this done? Or are the other countries bringing out he lollypops and candy canes, as well?
I can kind of remember being a little kid and getting some sort of gift/bribe to do something that might have not been all that pleasant to do. But it is a fleeting memory.

unfortunately This is the only country silly enough to think this way.I saw a jack of Napes at home depot when there were lines requiring masks and he told his co worker See all these people with masks it tells me they all have it.And at 7eleven a person with no mask saw me with a mask and said are you from out of town we dont do that here so I responded we do and your supposed to.This was a couple months ago when Vaccines were not readily available. The foolishness,I have a brother in another state his whole family dont want no government shot.

#22755 2 years ago
Quoted from Jamesays:

I have a brother in another state his whole family dont want no government shot.

Trouble with these types is that they sure will stick their fiercely independent hand out for a government check. My S-I-L bitches about the current administration, won't get the vaccine, but she sure took that $1400.00 stimulus check.

#22756 2 years ago

I don't understand the anti vax crowd, did they skip the measles, mumps and polio vaccines? Now that younger people are approved will their parents allow them to get the vaccines ? Children don't seem to be as adversely affected but can still spread it.

#22757 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinball_Postal:

I don't understand the anti vax crowd, did they skip the measles, mumps and polio vaccines? Now that younger people are approved will their parents allow them to get the vaccines ? Children don't seem to be as adversely affected but can still spread it.

In general yes, the old guard anti vaccine group skip as many vaccinations as possible.

New guard anti vaccine have been convinced this vaccine can’t be trusted for a variety of reasons. Those folks historically haven’t been anti vaccine writ large.

#22758 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinball_Postal:

When I was 10 in 1963, I got the measles and the mumps. Not at the same time, but IIRC, there were no vaccines for these 2. There was just polio and smallpox vaccines.

I remember the polio vaccine was taken orally with some purple liquid dropped onto a sugar cube. Smallpox was the lady who just kept ticking into my arm with that needle with the vaccine on the needle. IIRC, she had to do that needle poke 50 times. It was quite a wound that puffed up and got a little sore.

We baby boomers all have that big scar on our shoulder that we think is as normal as a belly button. It was no big deal.

I am a leftie and my right shoulder bears witness that I was covered for smallpox.

#22760 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

won't get the vaccine, but she sure took that $1400.00 stimulus check.

How about if the stimulus check was kept on hold until the recipient is vaccinated?

#22761 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

When I was 10 in 1963, I got the measles and the mumps. Not at the same time, but IIRC, there were no vaccines for these 2. There was just polio and smallpox vaccines.
I remember the polio vaccine was taken orally with some purple liquid dropped onto a sugar cube. Smallpox was the lady who just kept ticking into my arm with that needle with the vaccine on the needle. IIRC, she had to do that needle poke 50 times. It was quite a wound that puffed up and got a little sore.
We baby boomers all have that big scar on our shoulder that we think is as normal as a belly button. It was no big deal.
I am a leftie and my right shoulder bears witness that I was covered for smallpox.

LOL That scar not so obvious anymore! I guess aged and hairy arms.

#22762 2 years ago
Quoted from Jamesays:

unfortunately This is the only country silly enough to think this way.

We have the freedom to say and do stupid shi* and the technology to keep that same stupid ass alive to do it all again another day (and reproduce).

And we can homeschool our kids too. Anybody can if you can afford it....

#22763 2 years ago

This likely means masking will go away for all. There’s no way to tell who is vaccinated and who isn’t and as I have said before many of the most vocal anti-mask people are also anti-vaccine.

Hopefully the percentage of vaccinated people is high enough to prevent a spike. I would assume the CDC would not have made this recommendation if they felt we were likely to get a significant spike from unvaccinated people going without masks.

#22764 2 years ago

Graph of India variants over time.

the light and dark green parts are members of the B.1.617 variant (the Indian variant). The B.1.617.2 version (dark green), contains both the spike protein change that was found in the California variant and a mutation called P681. Might make it more difficult for antibodies to recognize and attack the virus.

Generally poorly understood at the moment, but it is clearly out-competing the highly transmissible B.1.1.7 variant (red, British variant).

So it’s looking like vanilla covid < euro covid (the first wave here and there)< British variant < Indian variant.

Roughly,
euro 50% more contagious than vanilla.
British is 50% more contagious than euro.
Indian is X% more contagious than British. We don’t know X yet but it is likely a large number.

Data is from https://covariants.org/
42BBE557-A598-4F8A-BE92-E6441928CC19.jpeg42BBE557-A598-4F8A-BE92-E6441928CC19.jpeg

#22765 2 years ago

Sounds good. And inside, too.

I like the slogan, “Get vaccinated — or wear a mask until you do.”

Now, how do we figure out who has been vaccinated and who has not, since half the country won't get vaccinated.

On further thought, I guess it does not really matter. If you are vaccinated you are golden. And if you are not, you are taking your chances; If you lose that means more for those of us who are still around.

#22766 2 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

I had a very difficult day today. I visited with my friends dad. For those that have not been following along, my friend died from covid. He was very young. His family is hurting. I am hurting. Please send them your thoughts and prayers.

My heart goes out to you. Stay strong dude!

#22767 2 years ago

:
One step closer to actually having pinball tournaments again.
Perhaps the tournament directors can require that only vaccinated people attend.
If IFPA adopted a strategy like that, they could get back to work and allow rated tournaments again.
I am surprised that there is not more discussion about that...

#22768 2 years ago

It's great news but I bet we see thousands of non vaccinated people not wear them and if asked just claim they are vaccinated.

#22769 2 years ago

Temperature check, how are people feeling about this? I'm not personally ready to eat/drink inside public places maskless until the local infection rate drops a bunch lower. I wanna be there, but I feel like at least locally, a lot of people are just getting their second shots and the rate is at about the peak of the first wave, I feel like we got a month or so to go to watch the data roll in and see where we are at. That said, I've been socially distanced dating someone for about 6 months and I'm hella ready to make out with her.

#22770 2 years ago
Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

I got the J&J a few minutes ago.

My girlfriend went later in the day and got a J&J also.

Before I went in to get the shot, my neck had already been hurting, and I was having sinus issues I guess from pollen, and the shot seemed to make all that worse.

I felt very lightheaded last night and first thing this morning.

I had not noticed any arm soreness until it itched while ago and when I went to scratch it, it hurt very bad to touch it.

I worked all day with a chainsaw, and I am fine, just tired.

My girlfriend says she is hurting all over like she was ran over by a truck. She napped most of the day.

If anyone reading this has not got a shot yet, just get that dang shot.

My girlfriends brother was transported to a rehab clinic today to learn how to walk again, after being in a ICU for so many weeks with this virus.

Next thing he will have to have a lung transplant, or stay on oxygen the rest of his life.

This virus affects everyone differently. Some people never even knew they had it, while others are dead or will be in very bad shape for the rest of their life.

I did not want a shot, I was happy with just staying away from everyone except my girlfriend. (because it has been so nice not even having a cold in such a long time).

But her Mom is staying with her now, and she has to take her Mom to all these different doctors offices for all her stuff going on, and her Mom is not careful, and caused my girlfriend and her brother to get sick with all that.

And yeah, you can still get the virus after getting the shot, but so far the shot is 100% effective last I heard at keeping any sickness to where you do not need to go to the hospital.

And my girlfriend has been saying it, and I just heard on TV, that it takes 2 weeks after the shot before you are 100% good to go.

I hate shots! But if I of all people can handle it, surely you can also!

(and it is super cool that the tracking chip they put in your arm alerts you 2 seconds before your phone starts ringing...just kidding.)

#22771 2 years ago
Quoted from Dent00:

:
One step closer to actually having pinball tournaments again.
Perhaps the tournament directors can require that only vaccinated people attend.
If IFPA adopted a strategy like that, they could get back to work and allow rated tournaments again.
I am surprised that there is not more discussion about that...

IPFA has been transparent...I believe they are waiting for 51 percent of IFPA reps to approve turning it back on. THe number is currently hoovering around 30 percent. As more get the vax more confidence will grow; but remember these reps are worldwide so everybody needs to get it together. (This is all as relayed from a bud so who knows could be horseshit).

#22772 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I like the slogan, “Get vaccinated — or wear a mask until you do.”
Now, how do we figure out who has been vaccinated and who has not, since half the country won't get vaccinated.
On further thought, I guess it does not really matter. If you are vaccinated you are golden. And if you are not, you are taking your chances; If you lose that means more for those of us who are still around.

the vaccination card will show who got the vaccine and who did not.

#22773 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

IPFA has been transparent...I believe they are waiting for 51 percent of IFPA reps to approve turning it back on. THe number is currently hoovering around 30 percent. As more get the vax more confidence will grow; but remember these reps are worldwide so everybody needs to get it together. (This is all as relayed from a bud so who knows could be horseshit).

That would be kind of sucky for possibly up to 49% of countries on the other side of the world who couldn’t participate if they are having Covid issues.

However we would hope the rest who vote would be gracious enough to take this into consideration and not say yes right away.

#22774 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

That is literally the exact thing that most folks who are anti-mask and anti-vaccination have been asking for from day one. Let people make their own risk choices.

I'm with Pinball_Gizzard here: this likely means masks are gone for good, at least at the federal level.

That said, we can't prevent individual businesses from setting whatever rules they want for their own establishments. That's why we'll see masking policies for a bit longer in places like some stores & small businesses.

Unrelated topic: I got my 2nd Moderna dose two days ago, Wednesday. Day 1 of the shot was fine, but day two I was super achy and tired by about 3pm. Had a good night's sleep and I feel WAY better today though, 2 days later. I could definitely tell my body's immune system was doing something yesterday though, jeez.

#22775 2 years ago
Quoted from gmanrulz46:

You mean the easily (and already aggressively) faked vaccination card?

Those that want to lie, will lie.

#22776 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

There are breakthrough cases, children that can't get vaccinated, and possibility of further mutations though.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/news/article/California-reveals-how-many-breakthrough-cases-16172770.php

#22777 2 years ago
Quoted from EJS:

That would be kind of sucky for possibly up to 49% of countries on the other side of the world who couldn’t participate if they are having Covid issues.
However we would hope the rest who vote would be gracious enough to take this into consideration and not say yes right away.

I feel like it won't just sit at 49 percent...once the dominoes start to fall in Europe it'll add up quick.

#22778 2 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

We have the freedom to say and do stupid shi* and the technology to keep that same stupid ass alive to do it all again another day (and reproduce).
And we can homeschool our kids too. Anybody can if you can afford it....

You can do stupid shi* anywhere as long as you are not affecting anyone else.As soon as you leave your home its a different situation.

#22779 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

If anyone is scared, participants could be required to sign a waiver that says that if they get sick, the tournament director is not responsible.
The waiver should say that if you are sick, or have a fever, or if you have been around someone sick, you are asked to leave... Period...
If you have been vaccinated, then you can participate without a mask (very simple).
People that are scared, do not have to participate, or they could wear a mask and gloves, if they feel comfortable with that.
I don't really see why this is not already happening to be honest.
Places overseas where they are not working diligently to get people vaccinated and such, might have to figure out if they really want to get well or not and what they need to do to make that happen.
I am not going overseas.
Just my thoughts.

#22780 2 years ago
Quoted from gmanrulz46:

Is everybody going to put them on a chain and wear them around their necks? With the hostile attitudes many have shown with regards to masks, I can see someone who has not been vaccinated copping more attitude and jerking the chain and card from your neck.

If you just keep it in your pocket, how is that going to help?

Someone asked Pelosi if she was going to remove the mask requirement from the House chamber. She said, "No." And then asked if they were all vaccinated.

#22781 2 years ago
Quoted from gmanrulz46:

How are you going to enforce that? Several states have already outlawed any form of vaccine passport so there is no way to enforce any proof of vaccination.

#22782 2 years ago
Quoted from smalltownguy2:

That is literally the exact thing that most folks who are anti-mask and anti-vaccination have been asking for from day one. Let people make their own risk choices.

The Covid vaccines are sort of an outlier in the greater vaccination/freedom debate, because they're so incredibly effective. "Normal" vaccines are often in the 50%-80% efficacy range, so if a chunk of people refuse to get vaccinated they're putting those that chose to get vaccinated at significant additional risk, even though they did everything they could to protect themselves. With Covid, it sure seems like once me and my family are vaccinated I don't have to worry about what the refusniks down the block decide to do, and don't even have to feel badly if their gamble doesn't pay off for them. Of course we'll all share the financial cost of their poor decision-making through increased health insurance premiums, but that's tolerable if they bear the health costs alone.

Of course we're not there yet, kids under 12 still don't have an approved vaccine and most teens haven't been vaccinated. For instance, my son's fourth grade class just went into virtual quarantine for the second time this month due to an exposure. Meaning that people "making their own risk choices" are, for the time being, still also making risk choices for my family (and fucking with my sons education to boot).

#22783 2 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

How are you going to enforce that? Several states have already outlawed any form of vaccine passport so there is no way to enforce any proof of vaccination.

There will be an electronic Code on your device showing proof and picture of individual and their status. I'm sure the peeps in charge have this planned .

#22784 2 years ago

No need to intrude on anyone's freedom or privacy, just keep a spray bottle of fresh Coronavirus at the entrance. Everyone who wants to attend without a mask gets one spray right in the face. That should keep almost everyone honest.

#22785 2 years ago

Super easy to fake a vaccine card. At the mass vax center I went to at Boeing, they handed us a blank card and we filled our own out. Since my handwriting is now terrible, it looks like a 5 year old made it, yet it's official and has my handwritten info and Moderna batch numbers on it.

#22786 2 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

just keep a spray bottle of fresh Coronavirus at the entrance. Everyone who wants to attend without a mask gets one spray right in the face. That should keep almost everyone honest.

I'm fully vaccinated, and this made me shiver. My misanthropic side said YEAH, while my practical science side threw up in my mouth.

I always like to paint a picture.

#22787 2 years ago
Quoted from chad:

There will be an electronic Code on your device showing proof and picture of individual and their status. I'm sure the peeps in charge have this planned .

That was the original idea, but...

Several states have already outlawed any form of vaccine passport

#22788 2 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

Super easy to fake a vaccine card. At the mass vax center I went to at Boeing, they handed us a blank card and we filled our own out. Since my handwriting is now terrible, it looks like a 5 year old made it, yet it's official and has my handwritten info and Moderna batch numbers on it.

It is just as effective as those scribbles MasterCard and Visa accept as a signature at the check out counter. One time, I signed, in very clear penmanship, as Monkey Man and it was approved.

#22790 2 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

Graph of India variants over time.
the light and dark green parts are members of the B.1.617 variant (the Indian variant). The B.1.617.2 version (dark green), contains both the spike protein change that was found in the California variant and a mutation called P681. Might make it more difficult for antibodies to recognize and attack the virus.
Generally poorly understood at the moment, but it is clearly out-competing the highly transmissible B.1.1.7 variant (red, British variant).
So it’s looking like vanilla covid < euro covid (the first wave here and there)< British variant < Indian variant.
Roughly,
euro 50% more contagious than vanilla.
British is 50% more contagious than euro.
Indian is X% more contagious than British. We don’t know X yet but it is likely a large number.
Data is from https://covariants.org/
[quoted image]

India was doing OK and everything those people do is close quarters. What changed? Was it the festival? Was it hospitals breaking under the pressure? Was it B.1.617.2? That's a scary graph given what's going on in India right now. That variant is in the US already too. I'll continue to wear my mask and practice social distancing.

https://www.ktnv.com/news/coronavirus/coronavirus-variant-b-1-617-2-found-in-las-vegas-area

#22791 2 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

Mine was filled out by a hot, blonde nurse. She butchered my name so I guess I'm Boomaster now. Lol

#22792 2 years ago

Why have we not closed down all air travel to and from India? Seems like commonsense thing to do to me!

#22794 2 years ago

Was at Costco tonight and chatted with the manager, who was not wearing a mask and asked his policy and said just be vaccinated and threw his arms up when it comes to showing proof.

Maybe a handful of people not wearing not including him and two other employees one of which was serving their in house food….so yeah.

Last I checked the vaccine doesn’t completely prevent you from getting or transmitting covid. Looked at the CDC website just now regarding catching or spreading while fully vaccinated proceeds with a word salad followed by…yeah kinda sorta some things are reduced and finally wrapped up with the word “unknown” at the end.

Here’s a great summary;

#22795 2 years ago

Y’all crack me up. The funny thing is I get my vaccine shots like clock work. Just seeing you doing you’re dog pile posting. It makes me resist! How about y’all treating people as human beings for having different options? Nope keep on being elites. Your way the highway? Piss on on it I’ll kiss the curb!

#22796 2 years ago
Quoted from Gunnut40:

Y’all crack me up. The funny thing is I get my vaccine shots like clock work. Just seeing you doing you’re dog pile posting. It makes me resist! How about y’all treating people as human beings for having different options? Nope keep on being elites. Your way the highway? Piss on on it I’ll kiss the curb!

You'll resist just to make a statement of some sort? Not sure I understand this line of thinking.

If you enjoy this pandemic, want to prolong mask wearing and other precautions while risking your own health (and that of others around you), remaining unvaccinated just to spite those "elites" is certainly a good decision.

#22797 2 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

You'll resist just to make a statement of some sort? Not sure I understand this line of thinking.
If you enjoy this pandemic, want to prolong mask wearing and other precautions while risking your own health (and that of others around you), remaining unvaccinated just to spite those "elites" is certainly a good decision.

That was a good response. I’m waiting. My wife got her first shot about a week ago. She turns into a zombie. I’m going to round house kick her in the face!

#22798 2 years ago
Quoted from Gunnut40:

By Golly I will die before i get that Government Shot! ok by me just stay home.Some things humans need to do for the good of all not 1.

#22799 2 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Of course we'll all share the financial cost of their poor decision-making through increased health insurance premiums, but that's tolerable if they bear the health costs alone.

We’ve been sharing the costs of poor decision making by the chronically ill, who this pandemic mostly affects, for years. Not all but a great many people with chronic conditions and co-morbiditities have them from poor lifestyle choices and we’ve been subsidizing their prescriptions and medical procedures through outrageous insurance premiums. I’m not expecting any positive comments from this post but it is a two way street.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 456 of 576.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread/page/456?hl=gunnut40 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.