272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 443 of 576.
#22100 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

I think you are using the term “Karens” wrong.

Well today the Karen’s are typically the ones saying “I don’t have to wear a mask, I have a dr’s note. It’s my right, blah, blah, blah” and make a scene.

However the new Karen will be like this:

“Excuse me sir you need a mask. Let me see your COVID card! You don’t have a covid card?!!! I’m filming you! (Pulls out shitty camera phone from 2007) You can’t be here without a card! You’re the cause of infection! Prove to me you got a shot!!! I calling the manager!!! Get this guy away from my children, he doesn’t have his papers! Anyone that doesn’t have their papers should be round up and put in quarantine camps!”

#22101 3 years ago
_117664723_optimised-vaccine_doses_per100_uk_us_eu_china_russia_22mar-nc-002 (resized).png_117664723_optimised-vaccine_doses_per100_uk_us_eu_china_russia_22mar-nc-002 (resized).png
#22102 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinballs:

Other 'real world' study data gives AZ a greater efficacy (different end point) than the Pfizer vaccine:
https://www.ox.ac.uk/news/2021-02-22-coronavirus-vaccination-linked-substantial-reduction-hospitalisation-real-world-data
"Based on data from 1.14 million vaccinations which have been administered, scientists from the University of Edinburgh have shown that both the BioNtech/Pfizer and Oxford vaccines are highly effective and that by the fourth week after receiving the initial dose shown to reduce the risk of hospitalisation from COVID-19 by up to 85% and 94%, respectively.".
Very confusing.

Keep in mind, at 4 weeks, you won't have the full protection of pfizer or moderna's. They believe the best efficacy is two weeks after receiving your 2nd shot which could be 5-6 weeks after receiving your first.

#22103 3 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

So you are foretelling us to turn towards a police state like Nazi Germany in the late 1930s and into the 1940s? I don't think that would be the direction we would head for vaccines. This is all self limiting...

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-56460329

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#22104 3 years ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

Well today the Karen’s are typically the ones saying “I don’t have to wear a mask, I have a dr’s note. It’s my right, blah, blah, blah” and make a scene.
“Excuse me sir you need a mask. Let me see your COVID card! You don’t have a covid card?!!! I’m filming you! (Pulls out shitty camera phone from 2007) You can’t be here without a card! You’re the cause of infection! Prove to me you got a shot!!! I calling the manager!!! Get this guy away from my children, he doesn’t have his papers! Anyone that doesn’t have their papers should be round up and put in quarantine camps!”

Honestly, to me it sounds more like you are the Karen in the scenario you are painting.

#22105 3 years ago
Quoted from roffels:

Keep in mind, at 4 weeks, you won't have the full protection of pfizer or moderna's. They believe the best efficacy is two weeks after receiving your 2nd shot which could be 5-6 weeks after receiving your first.

Just to make this very clear, Pfizer is a bit quicker. These are the charts of how quickly you get some protection and full protection. I've had my first Pfizer, and I plan to add an extra week just to be sure. And even then, I'll still be careful.

Pfizer:

Pfizer (resized).jpgPfizer (resized).jpg

Moderna:

Moderna (resized).jpgModerna (resized).jpg

#22106 3 years ago

Got my first today, Pfizer, process was fast, and payless. So far, shot was payless too.

#22107 3 years ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

All I see is this when reading your post...

images (7) (resized).jpegimages (7) (resized).jpeg
#22108 3 years ago

Found a vaccine appointment using https://www.findashot.org/. Closest I could find was about an hour away but I'll take it (early next week).

#22109 3 years ago

So not being able to fly out for a weekend in the alps or not being able to waltz into a Walmart mask free is equivalent to being sent to a detention camp.

That my dear friend, is a Karen level dramatic equivalence.

#22110 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

So not being able to fly out for a weekend in the alps or not being able to waltz into a Walmart mask free is equivalent to being sent to a detention camp.

Wasn't taking a stance either way. Simply posting a news article relevant to the discussion. I stumbled upon the story right before I revisited this thread, figured I share.

However, I would like to point out things like this do tend to have a 'trickle down effect' into other areas.

#22111 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Found a vaccine appointment using https://www.findashot.org/. Closest I could find was about an hour away but I'll take it (early next week).

When my age group opened up in Indiana, I immediately (within 15 min of the group opening) scheduled on-line at a nearby larger city (~20 mi away). Earliest shot was 3 weeks out (crap). Jumped back online and looked at a neighboring county, more rural - shot was available the next day.

So we were able to get our 2nd shot on what would have been the same day as our 1st shot if I hadn't changed. Neither of us had side effects (Pfizer).

#22112 3 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

When my age group opened up in Indiana, I immediately (within 15 min of the group opening) scheduled on-line at a nearby larger city (~20 mi away). Earliest shot was 3 weeks out (crap). Jumped back online and looked at a neighboring county, more rural - shot was available the next day.
So we were able to get our 2nd shot on what would have been the same day as our 1st shot if I hadn't changed. Neither of us had side effects (Pfizer).

It's like scouting for concert tickets, you just keep looking, keep checking, get tickets in hand, and then look around for upgrades.

#22113 3 years ago

Not a controlled trial but a Dr story of saving saving many lives

#22114 3 years ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

Nah, a Karen is still a privileged white person that thinks the rules don't apply to them and they can use their privilege to get their own way.

#22115 3 years ago

Got my first shot yesterday (Pfizer) arm is a tad bit sore, but no side effects so far.

#22116 3 years ago

It took me 5 days to be back to square 1, after my vaccines, 1st shot.
Day 2 was rough. Brain Fog, Dizzy, Cranky, totally out of it.
The other days were a sore arm.
My wife, zero issues.

Well worth the mental benefit, as my wife is getting back to normal, as "Daily Fear" has made it a rough year.

#22117 3 years ago

Got my first shot at Publix this morning. I had registered with the county just last week to call me when a vaccination appt was available. The county called while I was heading to the Publix appt. Hopefully that's a sign supply is getting better. I was not asked for ID.

#22118 3 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

Got my first shot at Publix this morning. I had registered with the county just last week to call me when a vaccination appt was available. The county called while I was heading to the Publix appt. Hopefully that's a sign supply is getting better. I was not asked for ID.

Supply is definitely rising quickly. My county (Fairfax) has been zooming through the vaccinations, about 30 days of pre-registered people in Phase 1B in about 7 days. The county said they will be done with Phase 1B vaccinations by April 15 but the way they are moving it is possible they could finish Phase 1B about a week before that.

#22119 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

Some how youve convinced yourself that my hypothetical scenario of someone else freaking out about seeing another person not wearing a mask, and making them prove they got a shot is a projection of my own behavior, and then make passive aggressive suggestions that im a Karen. Not sure what your problem is or why the mods are letting those posts past them but I think you need to reassess sir.

With your logic if I describe someone going to a hospital because they broke a bone and could see them getting a cast as a result would then make me a Doctor.

#22120 3 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Supply is definitely rising quickly. My county (Fairfax) has been zooming through the vaccinations, about 30 days of pre-registered people in Phase B in about 7 days. The county said they will be done with Phase B vaccinations by April 15 but the way they are moving it is possible they could finishPhase B about a week before that.

I remember hearing the Pfizer people were able to decrease the production cycle from ~110 days to 50 or 60 days.

One thing to note (made a difference in my case) is the Pfizer vax has the easier temperature storage requirements than Moderna, meaning the Pfizer is better suited to the rural communities. At least in Indiana, the Moderna was being given out more in the larger communities since they usually have the thermal chambers for storage, Pfizer - out in the boonies. Plus I think the J&J vax has even lower storage temps.

One thing that surprised me is they have been lowering the age limits fairly quickly recently. I figured the opposite would happen since the younger you go, the larger the population. So the vax's are ramping up and/or not everybody is getting one.

#22121 3 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Supply is definitely rising quickly. My county (Fairfax) has been zooming through the vaccinations, about 30 days of pre-registered people in Phase B in about 7 days. The county said they will be done with Phase B vaccinations by April 15 but the way they are moving it is possible they could finishPhase B about a week before that.

Yes it's getting much easier for people to book appointments and the pool of those eligible is expanding quickly.

Soon the only people who aren't vaxxed are gonna be those who don't want it. The May 1 goal for that seems like a shoo-in now.

#22122 3 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

Nah, a Karen is still a privileged white person that thinks the rules don't apply to them and they can use their privilege to get their own way.

There are many who think the rules do not apply to them. I think you need to redefine your description of a Karen. You must have missed this one.

#22123 3 years ago

There is another thread called the nothing thread. Origin of virus still unknown since all the investigations at the wet market have turned up nothing. Another example of nothing is something. How serious is this joking aside?

#22124 3 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

100%. To add to this, there's no such thing as a "new" Karen. If a Karen starts behaving differently, they are no longer a Karen.

We can't just call everyone we don't like a "Karen," that's just lazy. We have standards!

#22125 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yes it's getting much easier for people to book appointments and the pool of those eligible is expanding quickly.
Soon the only people who aren't vaxxed are gonna be those who don't want it. The May 1 goal for that seems like a shoo-in now.

This really depends where you live. At least in my state, in the city we are still at 65 and older or younger people with severe health issues and booked really solidly, despite there being mass vaccination centers and all the pharmacies now doing it. But if you drive a couple hours to more rural towns, they have moved ahead to other groups and healthy young people can pick up leftovers at the end of the day fairly often. But my state may be abnormal, Seattle has a much lower transmission rate per capita than most of the state's rural cities and towns because of such high masking and social distancing compliance.

#22126 3 years ago

Pfizer has a pill in trial that could treat Covid-19 at the early signs of disease. Hopefully this one is a success:

https://www.barrons.com/articles/pfizer-will-test-a-pill-to-kill-the-covid-19-virus-51616517725?siteid=yhoof2

#22127 3 years ago

Covid vaccines appear to be working successfully in health care workers in Israel and the US:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/covid-19-vaccines-appear-cause-211200352.html

#22128 3 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

I remember hearing the Pfizer people were able to decrease the production cycle from ~110 days to 50 or 60 days.
One thing to note (made a difference in my case) is the Pfizer vax has the easier temperature storage requirements than Moderna, meaning the Pfizer is better suited to the rural communities.

"The Pfizer vaccine requires ultracold storage (-76 to -112 degrees F), while the Moderna vaccine can be stored at -20 degrees F, or normal freezer temperatures."
https://news.sanfordhealth.org/coronavirus-disease-2019-covid-19/moderna-and-pfizer-vaccines-similarities-and-differences/

Edit - I see they've changed Pfizer temperature requirements to allow conventional freezers to work. Sorry for the confusion!
https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/coronavirus-covid-19-update-fda-allows-more-flexible-storage-transportation-conditions-pfizer

#22129 3 years ago

Today was a good day. My 33 year old daughter received an extra vaccine at Publix, and my 25 year old was too, with 8500 extra vaccines in Oviedo. Drove up, 15 minutes and done.
Extra vaccines all over Central Florida right now.

#22130 3 years ago

A little over 24 hours since mine and my wife's first Moderna shots. We both had mild arm soreness within ~ 4 hours. I was feeling a bit blah last night with some neck soreness and sinus like mild headache. She has been roughly the same but has kept a more persistent headache. Arm soreness seems to be subsiding. All in all I've felt fine today.

The waitlist situation at CVS is a mess. Store managers want the pharmacy to honor the wait list. The pharmacists want to vaccinate the folks already there. With my daughter listed first among her friends on the waitlists that she is on, the only person to get a call is one of her friends. She's been going in and waiting the last hour for a couple days and just missed getting vaccinated both times. I'm crossing my fingers it will happen by end of this week.

#22131 3 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

This really depends where you live. At least in my state, in the city we are still at 65 and older or younger people with severe health issues and booked really solidly, despite there being mass vaccination centers and all the pharmacies now doing it. But if you drive a couple hours to more rural towns, they have moved ahead to other groups and healthy young people can pick up leftovers at the end of the day fairly often. But my state may be abnormal, Seattle has a much lower transmission rate per capita than most of the state's rural cities and towns because of such high masking and social distancing compliance.

Yeah, location seems to play a big part. Here in SD, they've pretty much opened the floodgates for giving out vaccines. We're at 30% vaccinated with at least one dose. And whenever I check, there are plenty of appt. openings. Max of a 3-day wait for a pre-scheduled appointment, and lots of "day-of" walk-up shot availability. You can basically get a shot for almost any mitigating reason, and we're probably 2 weeks away from just letting anyone get a vaccine shot no matter their age or health.

My wife is getting her first dose Friday, and my mother gets hers Tuesday. So by end-of-day Tuesday, all out immediate family will have had at least one dose. Very excited for that.

#22132 3 years ago

Today both me and my 87 year old mom are getting our first shots together. (She had an earlier appointment but had to miss it bc she was hospitalized at the time) A couple of my much older sibs in other states are still not scheduled yet, and my kiddo needs his jab(s), but definitely can feel the momentum continuing to speed up!

#22133 3 years ago

Here's an interesting story if anyone wonders "Does the vaccine actually work".

One of my friends and his wife had 4 family members recently over for a small gathering. A day later one of the family members learned they were exposed to Covid a couple days prior. Well, he got it along with everyone else at the gathering...except for the 1 person that was vaccinated a month or so back. My friend was given an anti body injection which he said helped a lot with his recovery, his sister who was at the party was hospitalized due to Covid but is finally out.

#22134 3 years ago

One thing this pandemic has illustrated vividly is that countries need to manufacture important things locally, such as PPE, vaccines, and maybe an AWFUL lot else too. Globalisation has failed.

You just can't reply on other countries- they will understandably prioritise their own people. The Indian government stopping the Serum Institute from exporting ANY AZ vaccine for the foreseeable is a great example (including the UK who developed the vaccine), and an important one as they were going to supply the world with 1 billion doses. And the EU stopping exports to Australia, UK etc.

Thankfully, the UK, like the US and Australia, is manufacturing most of its vaccine locally. There's an important lesson there!

#22135 3 years ago

Pretty cool news...

"The Pfizer/BioNTech and Moderna Covid-19 vaccines are effective in pregnant and lactating women, who can pass protective antibodies to newborns, according to research published Thursday in the American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology."

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/25/health/pregnant-women-covid-19-vaccines-study-wellness/index.html

#22136 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Here's an interesting story if anyone wonders "Does the vaccine actually work".
One of my friends and his wife had 4 family members recently over for a small gathering. A day later one of the family members learned they were exposed to Covid a couple days prior. Well, he got it along with everyone else at the gathering...except for the 1 person that was vaccinated a month or so back. My friend was given an anti body injection which he said helped a lot with his recovery, his sister who was at the party was hospitalized due to Covid but is finally out.

This in no way states anything about the vaccine. It may simply show that person was "immune" all along. Honestly, not trying to be jerk.

Here's a related story:
A coworker of mine and his son tested negative twice, even though his wife and daughter were both positive. The ladies had mild symptoms but the gentlemen tested negative.

He told me he thought it was because he, and his son, take vitamins every day. This doesn't mean vitamins prevent Covid.

He is getting his vaccines anyway.

This is a most bizarre disease hitting different people in many different ways, or not at all.

#22137 3 years ago
Quoted from RonSS:

This in no way states anything about the vaccine. It may simply show that person was "immune" all along. Honestly, not trying to be jerk.
Here's a related story:
A coworker of mine and his son tested negative twice, even though his wife and daughter were both positive. The ladies had mild symptoms but the gentlemen tested negative.
He told me he thought it was because he, and his son, take vitamins every day. This doesn't mean vitamins prevent Covid.
He is getting his vaccines anyway.
This is a most bizarre disease hitting different people in many different ways, or not at all.

You are correct in stating that an ancedotal story does not prove anything about the efficacy of COVID vaccines. The studies that show 90-95% reduction in symptomatic COVID in vaccinated patients does that.

Also, I'm not sure how someone would be "immune" to a disease they were never exposed to? Are you suggesting this person had COVID before and was thus immune to it? If you are suggesting that this person actually contracted COVID and did not have symptoms, that's not immunity. You might be referring to the variable symptoms of COVID which I guess could be called disease penetrance although that term usually is applied to genetic diseases.

Anyhow, we agree that anecdotal evidence is not able to tell causation or efficacy of a treatment or disease.

#22138 3 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

You are correct in stating that an ancedotal story does not prove anything about the efficacy of COVID vaccines. The studies that show 90-95% reduction in symptomatic COVID in vaccinated patients does that.
Also, I'm not sure how someone would be "immune" to a disease they were never exposed to? Are you suggesting this person had COVID before and was thus immune to it? If you are suggesting that this person actually contracted COVID and did not have symptoms, that's not immunity. You might be referring to the variable symptoms of COVID which I guess could be called disease penetrance although that term usually is applied to genetic diseases.
Anyhow, we agree that anecdotal evidence is not able to tell causation or efficacy of a treatment or disease.

I am not suggesting that the person had covid. I am suggesting perhaps the person is incapable of contracting it. How that would be the case is well beyond me. And I'm not implying it is the case. It could very well be the vaccine. I don't think we can be certain in this case.

Perhaps the person that was inoculated wasn't near enough the guest that was contaminated?

As to the studies you are citing, they are showing 90 - 95% of vaccine recipients are not contracting this after being exposed? My understanding was that the vaccine did not prevent one from infection but did reduce symptoms dramatically.

#22139 3 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

My sister is currently in an ICU on a ventilator with Covid.

My sister died tonight. Covid beat the living shit out of her. I had posted the quote above 13 days ago. And since then it just ripped her apart. Hey, did you know Covid also can destroy your kidneys? So close to the end of this pandemic. We have a fucking vaccine, but we just couldn’t get it to people fast enough.

Whatever the hell you are doing to try to prevent catching Covid, do more. More than 1500 people died from Covid yesterday. Today, one died, and I couldn’t give a crap about how many others died today. She’s the second person close to me that has been killed by Covid. Fuck. And if you’re thinking of doing something dumb, just wait until we get more people vaccinated. Covid doesn’t give a shit about your rights to make your own decisions. Wear a fucking mask dipshit.

#22140 3 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

I’m assuming they mean natural immunity, ie IIRC with Covid was initially estimated at ~20% who wouldn’t contact it despite being exposed. Or another way to put it: the survivors in the Stand who were the .1% that never got sick instead of the 99.9% who caught Captain Trips and died.

(I’m not sure if the 20% figure actually includes some asymptomatic people or not—I heard it very early on, so it might not be accurate)

#22141 3 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

My sister died tonight. Covid beat the living shit out of her. I had posted the quote above 13 days ago. And since then it just ripped her apart. Hey, did you know Covid also can destroy your kidneys? So close to the end of this pandemic. We have a fucking vaccine, but we just couldn’t get it to people fast enough.
Whatever the hell you are doing to try to prevent catching Covid, do more. More than 1500 people died from Covid yesterday. Today, one died, and I couldn’t give a crap about how many others died today. She’s the second person close to me that has been killed by Covid. Fuck. And if you’re thinking of doing something dumb, just wait until we get more people vaccinated. Covid doesn’t give a shit about your rights to make your own decisions. Wear a fucking mask dipshit.

Dave, so sorry for your loss. Thinking of you and your family.

#22142 3 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

My sister died tonight. Covid beat the living shit out of her.

So sorry man. This thing has been absolutely brutal, and will continue to be until way more of us get vaccinated. I hope people that don’t trust the science can hear and learn from your personal experience.

#22143 3 years ago

I am so very sorry for your loss! Thoughts and prayers to you and your family.

#22144 3 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

I am truly sorry to hear that. As a front-line worker, I know tons of people that have had it and it really effects everyone so differently. You and your family will be in my prayers.

#22145 3 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

I’m so sorry, Dave. I know words on a message board don’t mean much but I’m keeping your family in my thoughts tonight.

#22146 3 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

A Karen can be any race. The important thing is the entitled attitude.

#22147 3 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

It took me 5 days to be back to square 1, after my vaccines, 1st shot.
Day 2 was rough. Brain Fog, Dizzy, Cranky, totally out of it.
The other days were a sore arm.
My wife, zero issues.
Well worth the mental benefit, as my wife is getting back to normal, as "Daily Fear" has made it a rough year.

Was that Moderna? Or Pfizer? Everyone I know that got the Moderna had mild or worse reactions. All the Pfizer friends - maybe a sore arm or a slightly raised temp, and that's it.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 443 of 576.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread/page/443?hl=phil-lee and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.