272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 440 of 576.
#21950 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

This guy got his vaccine today, too. His story is amazing...

I love comedy skits but this was lame.

#21952 3 years ago

One year ago today, covid-19 was officially declared a pandemic.

#21953 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

One year ago today, covid-19 was officially declared a pandemic.

And a day later it was officially pronounced under control!

#21954 3 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

I love comedy skits but this was lame.

One man's lame is another man's dumbreka.

#21955 3 years ago

Today my arm is a bit sore but no more than the Flu shot would be. I hear the 2nd shot kind of knocks people out a bit. My Sister said she took a nap for 3 hours after hers.

#21956 3 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

I can't wait to see a full house at Globe Life Park when the Rangers play against Toronto for their home opener in aboot three weeks.

Fake news
Not in same division and doubtful Rangers will make the playoffs.

#21957 3 years ago
Quoted from RonSS:

Wait until all the temporary plexiglass has to go.

I bet most businesses keep it to limit the spread of flus, colds and future corona viruses. They make more money if their workers are sick less. That's one of those permanent changes we will see from this pandemic, we will forever have more barriers, more social distancing and see people wearing masks when they are sick.

#21958 3 years ago

This is a little disheartening:
https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/542814-49-percent-of-gop-men-say-they-wont-get-vaccinated-pbs-poll

My dad is a very conservative Republican that's unfortunately gone down the Fox News and right wing radio rabbit hole over the past few years, I'm glad he still got his first vaccine shot last week, he's 83. He's always thought anti-vaxxers were nuts though.

#21959 3 years ago

Not sure if anyone mentioned the Eli Lilly study coming out a couple days ago. Their combo antibody therapy of bamlanivimab and etesevimab was shown to be very effective (87%) in high risk patients in preventing death and hospitalization. It's been known to be effective for a while, but this was more proof and it had access issues that may have prevented people who could have benefited from receiving it even though the EUA was granted. If you or someone you know gets Covid and is high risk, you might benefit from discussing with your MD right away about it. I think you need to take it early.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-lilly/eli-lillys-combo-therapy-for-covid-19-cuts-serious-illness-and-death-in-large-study-idUSKBN2B21C0

#21960 3 years ago

My sister is currently in an ICU on a ventilator with Covid. She wasn’t able to breath in enough oxygen on her own. When she went to the hospital 5 days ago, the oxygen on the floor was enough... until it wasn’t. Then in the ICU, the high flow was enough... until it wasn’t. And then they shoved a tube down her throat and into her lungs to force in air saturated in oxygen to try to keep her from dying long enough for the Remdesivir and antibodies treatments to work on the infection. When they incubate you to go on a vent, they sedate you, because if they didn’t, you would rip the tube out as you died from lack of oxygen.

Why am I telling you this? Because Covid is horrific. It’s not a normal pneumonia. If she lives (50/50 right now), the recovery from this will take a very long time. I’m saying this because we are close to the end of this pandemic. She wasn’t dumb. She wasn’t doing unnecessary things. She was however, quite unlucky to be exposed to it.

As politicians are making dumb decisions, you should be making smart ones. Nobody is going to protect you from this except you. It’s just not worth the risk this close to the end. Sure, you might get lucky and have a mild case. Then again, maybe you end up drowning in your own lungs unable to get enough oxygen to survive. Why would anybody be risking that?

#21961 3 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

My sister is currently in an ICU on a ventilator with Covid. She wasn’t able to breath in enough oxygen on her own. When she went to the hospital 5 days ago, the oxygen on the floor was enough... until it wasn’t. Then in the ICU, the high flow was enough... until it wasn’t. And then they shoved a tube down her throat and into her lungs to force in air saturated in oxygen to try to keep her from dying long enough for the Remdesivir and antibodies treatments to work on the infection. When they incubate you to go on a vent, they sedate you, because if they didn’t, you would rip the tube out as you died from lack of oxygen.
Why am I telling you this? Because Covid is horrific. It’s not a normal pneumonia. If she lives (50/50 right now), the recovery from this will take a very long time. I’m saying this because we are close to the end of this pandemic. She wasn’t dumb. She wasn’t doing unnecessary things. She was however, quite unlucky to be exposed to it.
As politicians are making dumb decisions, you should be making smart ones. Nobody is going to protect you from this except you. It’s just not worth the risk this close to the end. Sure, you might get lucky and have a mild case. Then again, maybe you end up drowning in your own lungs unable to get enough oxygen to survive. Why would anybody be risking that?

I’m sorry that she is struggling so much. Keeping your sister in my thoughts.

#21962 3 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Fake news
Not in same division and doubtful Rangers will make the playoffs.

May not be in the same division, but the Rangers home opener is against the Blue Jays on April 5th.

#21963 3 years ago

Cdnpinbacon was talking hockey not baseball I think. It's in our genes up here.

#21964 3 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

May not be in the same division, but the Rangers home opener is against the Blue Jays on April 5th.

Sorry Bally ..thought you talkin' Hockey!
Cant wait for Jays ..didnt know rangers opener vs jays

#21965 3 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Sorry Bally ..thought you talkin' Hockey!
Cant wait for Jays ..didnt now Rangers opener vs Jays..

#21967 3 years ago

I'll be seeing the Marlins take on St Louis in April with the old man. Somebody cue up "Cat's in the Cradle!"

VACCINE YEEEHAWWWWWWW!!!

#21968 3 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

Today my arm is a bit sore but no more than the Flu shot would be. I hear the 2nd shot kind of knocks people out a bit. My Sister said she took a nap for 3 hours after hers.

I got my second Pfizer dose 3 days ago, and I was really worried it would knock me down but I just had some general "bleh" feeling for about 12 hours. I've heard that's a good indication my immune system was responding appropriately.

My wife got her first Pfizer dose this morning and is having the same arm soreness I did (and looks like you are too).

Really glad that we are starting to see more and more vaccinations. I'm ready to go on some vacations.

#21969 3 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

This is a little disheartening:
https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/542814-49-percent-of-gop-men-say-they-wont-get-vaccinated-pbs-poll
My dad is a very conservative Republican that's unfortunately gone down the Fox News and right wing radio rabbit hole over the past few years, I'm glad he still got his first vaccine shot last week, he's 83. He's always thought anti-vaxxers were nuts though.

Not buying it. I'm a Republican and am in a clinical trial. Will be vaccinated at the latest next Friday after I get my second dose of the trial vaccine Wednesday and request to be unblinded so I know whether I got it or not.

I am a traditional Republican, though,not a Trumper. My parents are much the same as your dad and watch FOX all the time. They've already received their second doses. Most of my fellow Republican friends either already have or are planning on the vaccine. Granted, I haven't conducted a poll but I just don't think it is anywhere near that high.

#21970 3 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I got my second Pfizer dose 3 days ago, and I was really worried it would knock me down but I just had some general "bleh" feeling for about 12 hours. I've heard that's a good indication my immune system was responding appropriately.
My wife got her first Pfizer dose this morning and is having the same arm soreness I did (and looks like you are too).
Really glad that we are starting to see more and more vaccinations. I'm ready to go on some vacations.

Visiting the folks in Del Ray April 9 (the first day I'm supposed to be "fully vaxxed.")
A week after that going to OBX to hang out at the beach and take a few trips to Flippers
in August I got a Vegas trip planned to see the Psycho rock fest with some friends.

No idea if the fest will happen but still planning on making that trip.

#21971 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Visiting the folks in Del Ray April 9 (the first day I'm supposed to be "fully vaxxed.")
A week after that going to OBX to hang out at the beach and take a few trips to Flippers
in August I got a Vegas trip planned to see the Psycho rock fest with some friends.
No idea if the fest will happen but still planning on making that trip.

Won't your vax pass run out after 3 months though?

I'm reading the updated travel test/quarantine info and I thought it mentioned something about having been vaxxed within 3 months.

I'm thinking August may be too far out?

https://coronavirus.health.ny.gov/covid-19-travel-advisory

#21972 3 years ago
Quoted from RonSS:

I'm reading the updated travel test/quarantine info and I thought it mentioned something about having been vaxxed within 3 months.
I'm thinking August may be too far out?
https://coronavirus.health.ny.gov/covid-19-travel-advisory

That is a very good question. I am kind of waiting in the wings for the answer, tbh. I dont ever get flu shots, so i am weighing my options.

#21973 3 years ago
Quoted from RonSS:

I've read different things about this, but what I've mostly seen is that there are "B memory" cells that are created that still provide the roadmap to your immune system on how to beat coronavirus, even after the short term immune response wears off.

https://www.khanacademy.org/science/in-in-class-12-biology-india/xc09ed98f7a9e671b:in-in-human-health-and-disease/xc09ed98f7a9e671b:in-in-types-of-immunity-and-the-immune-system/a/adaptive-immunity

Maybe one of the docs can shed more light on this.

#21974 3 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

That is a very good question. I am kind of waiting in the wings for the answer, tbh. I dont ever get flu shots, so i am weighing my options.

I’m weighing my options as well. I’d ask my sister, but if they removed the breathing tubes for the ventilator she is on because she has Covid, well, she would die before she could answer me. I’d ask my other sister, but she had stopped by the first sisters house to drop something off before she got really sick, and now she is Covid positive as well. But she had her first vaccine shot 2 weeks before, and amazingly has shown no symptoms yet. I’d ask my father in law, but unfortunately he died of Covid around Christmas.

Of course, I’m not actually weighing options. The second I can get a vaccine in my arm, there will be a vaccine in my arm. Covid is nothing but a crapshoot. You can go out 99 times and your confirmation bias tells you it’s safe. And then you can spend an hour at your sisters house, and catch it. Then you might have no or mild symptoms, or end up on a ventilator. The odds are in your favor, right up until they aren’t.

And I realize I’m very heavy handed about this subject. Some may consider my attitude about it almost rude. But when my day is made up of good news being that they lowered the peep on the vent and she’s still stable, vs they moved her to avoid bed sores and her and her O2 stats crashed, well, it’s serious. None of them were haphazard. For me the only option to weigh is, help stop the pandemic, or keep giving it a path to spread. This was probably TMI. I’m just frustrated that we have solutions that people are weighing instead of getting.

#21976 3 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

I’m weighing my options as well. I’d ask my sister, but if they removed the breathing tubes for the ventilator she is on because she has Covid, well, she would die before she could answer me. I’d ask my other sister, but she had stopped by the first sisters house to drop something off before she got really sick, and now she is Covid positive as well. But she had her first vaccine shot 2 weeks before, and amazingly has shown no symptoms yet. I’d ask my father in law, but unfortunately he died of Covid around Christmas.
Of course, I’m not actually weighing options. The second I can get a vaccine in my arm, there will be a vaccine in my arm. Covid is nothing but a crapshoot. You can go out 99 times and your confirmation bias tells you it’s safe. And then you can spend an hour at your sisters house, and catch it. Then you might have no or mild symptoms, or end up on a ventilator. The odds are in your favor, right up until they aren’t.
And I realize I’m very heavy handed about this subject. Some may consider my attitude about it almost rude. But when my day is made up of good news being that they lowered the peep on the vent and she’s still stable, vs they moved her to avoid bed sores and her and her O2 stats crashed, well, it’s serious. None of them were haphazard. For me the only option to weigh is, help stop the pandemic, or keep giving it a path to spread. This was probably TMI. I’m just frustrated that we have solutions that people are weighing instead of getting.

I have already had Covid. It was super mild for me. I cant even get the vaccine for 3 months anyway, but i should have antigens for 3-6 months or more anyway.

#21977 3 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Well, shit man, what you are describing sure sounds like a hoax to me. I don't need to wear no stinking' mask. And you can't make me. na na na na na.

(sorry for what you are having to deal with ).

#21978 3 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

I have already had Covid. It was super mild for me. I cant even get the vaccine for 3 months anyway, but i should have antigens for 3-6 months or more anyway.

Sorry Daditude, I didn’t realize you had had it. And I’m VERY glad it was a mild case. So many cases aren’t too bad, or just like a bad flu. And then a few other cases just wreck the person. A couple people close to me just happened to have the bad cases, and I’m tired of it. I’ve been avoiding the news as much as I can, because when I hear politicians not doing what is needed to protect their people, it makes me mad. They have one job, and they are doing the opposite of what they are elected to do, and people support them for it? Crazy times.

And yes, you should be protected from getting it again for quite a while. Personally if it were me, I’d keep up my protection level because of the variants. Plus I think we are going to stomp this whole thing soon, as long as enough people get vaccinated. And if they don’t, it goes on another year.

Quoted from cottonm4:

Well, shit man, what you are describing sure sounds like a hoax to me.

I’m going to assume the “na na na” at the end meant this was sarcastic. Because I’m sure nobody would actually mock my sister being in an ICU on a ventilator, right?

#21979 3 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I've read different things about this, but what I've mostly seen is that there are "B memory" cells that are created that still provide the roadmap to your immune system on how to beat coronavirus, even after the short term immune response wears off.
https://www.khanacademy.org/science/in-in-class-12-biology-india/xc09ed98f7a9e671b:in-in-human-health-and-disease/xc09ed98f7a9e671b:in-in-types-of-immunity-and-the-immune-system/a/adaptive-immunity
Maybe one of the docs can shed more light on this.

I'm not a doc but you are correct. In many of these type of illnesses, antibodies will wear off or disappear in 3-6 months. However, memory cells in the form.of B and or T cells are still able to identify the same antigen if it invades the body again and rapidly generate and mount an immune response including production of new antibodies.

With Covid, we still don't know how long immunity will last post infection or vaccination. Most vaccine trials are designed to monitor participants 18-24 months to try to determine this. From what I've read, vaccination likely elicits a stronger and possibly more durable immune response than infection with Covid itself but only time will tell how long that will be.

My guess is it may end up like the flu where we get booster shots every 9-12 months. Another variable are mutations and variants. All of these questions remain to be answered but I would be shocked if vaccination didn't provide protection against primary Covid for a minimum of 6 months.

#21980 3 years ago

Cotton isn't mocking you, he's always been aware of the seriousness of this pandemic. And living in Kansas I'm sure he's seen his fair share of denial bullshit over the past year.

#21981 3 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Sorry Daditude, I didn’t realize you had had it. And I’m VERY glad it was a mild case. So many cases aren’t too bad, or just like a bad flu. And then a few other cases just wreck the person. A couple people close to me just happened to have the bad cases, and I’m tired of it. I’ve been avoiding the news as much as I can, because when I hear politicians not doing what is needed to protect their people, it makes me mad. They have one job, and they are doing the opposite of what they are elected to do, and people support them for it? Crazy times.
And yes, you should be protected from getting it again for quite a while. Personally if it were me, I’d keep up my protection level because of the variants. Plus I think we are going to stomp this whole thing soon, as long as enough people get vaccinated. And if they don’t, it goes on another year.

I’m going to assume the “na na na” at the end meant this was sarcastic. Because I’m sure nobody would actually mock my sister being in an ICU on a ventilator, right?

Correct. The sarcasm icon was overlooked and added.

#21983 3 years ago

9-1 (resized).jpg9-1 (resized).jpg

#21985 3 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Sorry Daditude, I didn’t realize you had had it. And I’m VERY glad it was a mild case. So many cases aren’t too bad, or just like a bad flu. And then a few other cases just wreck the person.

Thank you. I am a front line worker, and i would estimate that about 95% of my coworkers have had it as well. I NEVER get the flu. Heck...i never get sick at all. I take pretty good care of myself. Maybe thats why it was mild for me. Some of my coworkers have not been as fortunate, however.

#21986 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

[quoted image]

That pic needs the back of a t shirt !

#21987 3 years ago

https://www.dw.com/en/germany-suspends-use-of-astrazeneca-vaccine-along-with-italy-france-spain/a-56878920

Germany on Monday halted use of the AstraZeneca coronavirus vaccine, the Health Ministry announced in a statement, with Italy, France and Spain following suit later in the day. Several other EU countries have stopped use of the vaccine because of the possibility of blood clots.

"After new reports of thrombroses of the cerebral veins in connection with the vaccination in Germany and Europe, the PEI considers further investigations to be necessary," the Health Ministry announced.

"What we know is 17 million people have received the vaccine and 37 people have developed these blood clots. That corresponds to .0002% of actually anybody that has been vaccinated getting a blood clot," Moschos added, saying he would take the AstraZeneca vaccine "straight away" if it was offered to him.

A few more bits of info: https://apnews.com/article/germany-suspends-astrazeneca-vaccine-blood-clotting-0ab2c4fe13370c96c873e896387eb92f

#21988 3 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

That pic needs the back of a t shirt !

I don't know how to do this meme stuff or I would had placed " Get your mask on pardner, or be outta Dodge by sundown". But probably a lot of people have never watched Gunsmoke with Marshall Matt Dillon so the "get outta Dodge" would make no sense.

So, maybe, " Get your mask on or make like horse shit and hit the trail" would work better.

#21989 3 years ago

Covid-19: Continue using AstraZeneca vaccine, says WHO
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-56404542

Is Europe's AstraZeneca jab decision-making flawed?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-56360646

Covid: What is the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine? Is it safe?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55302595

Meanwhile, in the UK

Covid: UK vaccination surge expected in coming days
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-56407251

_117573255_vax_trajectory14mar-nc (resized).png_117573255_vax_trajectory14mar-nc (resized).png
#21990 3 years ago

I took my wife out yesterday for an early celebration of our 15th anniversary (which is actually on St. Patrick's Day). There were HORDES of people out. I mean....a really astonishing amount for a monday in mid-march.
I am guessing it is a culmination of Texas opening to 100%, stimulus checks hitting bank accounts, and it being spring break at some schools.
I think i will be going out as little as possible for the next couple of weeks. I cant see how the numbers don't massively spike.

#21991 3 years ago

You will never be able to control what people do. The premise of all the safety courses I've ever taken are to protect yourself. I'm not relying on other people to wear their ppe properly to protect me. 98% of the public do not wear masks properly. They're constantly touching them, pulling them down, not washing them, re-using them over and over, wearing them past the point of saturation etc etc. Masks give a false sense of security that distancing and crowding is not an issue. If you need to be in that environment double or triple mask, your safety is up to you.

#21992 3 years ago

European Medicines Agency (EMA)- AstraZeneca vaccine: 'No indication' of link to blood clots
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-56411561

Interesting comment from Italy- "In Italy, the director general of the medicines authority called the decision to suspend the vaccine "political"."

No shit, and a tragedy for the populations of the countries affected

#21993 3 years ago
Quoted from rwmech5:

You will never be able to control what people do. The premise of all the safety courses I've ever taken are to protect yourself. I'm not relying on other people to wear their ppe properly to protect me. 98% of the public do not wear masks properly. They're constantly touching them, pulling them down, not washing them, re-using them over and over, wearing them past the point of saturation etc etc. Masks give a false sense of security that distancing and crowding is not an issue. If you need to be in that environment double or triple mask, your safety is up to you.

You're absolutely correct however... These reasons you site are exactly why some need to be told explicitly what to do and how to do it. Most people don't have a clue how or why certain rules are in place. When there is a large public health concern like a pandemic that is efficient at killing 2,660,000 people in 1 year, people should have respect for those that have the knowledge and expertise to keep them safe. As the "Wolf" says -

"I'm not here to say please, I'm here to tell you what to do and if self-preservation is an instinct you possess you'd better f'en do it and do it quick."
92435d8b-b48d-4c67-8afc-66f94855ba92_text_hi.gif92435d8b-b48d-4c67-8afc-66f94855ba92_text_hi.gif

Its just a movie scene and line but there is a lot of common sense with it. Asymptomatic, symptomatic - What's that? Interact socially within my family bubble but not family from another house? Why? People had to be told how to wash their hands correctly at the beginning. Unfortunately, some will never get it which is why you have fines and laws today)to restrict wearing a seatbelt when driving the speed limit, not smoking in a hospital, etc. The LONGER this virus is around it has the chance to mutate. As seen in Europe - the new variants are coming and more deadlier (64%). Its not over yet. Asking politely to wear this mask before entering a particular establishment isn't "control", its a request that not only can save them but you.

#21995 3 years ago

Would a UV wand be good for the multiple amazon packages my wife and daughter in law buy?

#21996 3 years ago

I still won't rely on other people for my protection. There's 2 people I trust in this world #1 is me , #2 is not you. 1 of my departed dad's favorite sayings.

#21997 3 years ago
FB_IMG_1615841639578 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1615841639578 (resized).jpg
#21999 3 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Would a UV wand be good for the multiple amazon packages my wife and daughter in law buy?

I'd start with changing the password on the amazon account first

All that aside I think the package issue isn't so much a concern anymore. UPS is at my house almost daily and I usually chuck the packages inside the house and open them up the next day and haven't had any symptoms since this all started. But I'd be more worried about catching something from walking into emergency rooms every day and surprised that hasn't gotten me yet.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 440 of 576.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread/page/440?hl=utesichiban and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.