272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 437 of 576.
#21800 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballcorpse:

"social media opinion-itis" is pretty dangerous.

Depends on the platform. For instance this thread , better have stats/articles back it up.

#21801 3 years ago

Any longhaulers should give this a watch and get some ivermectin as it show 85 % improvement

#21802 3 years ago
Quoted from plowpusher:

Any longhaulers should give this a watch and get some ivermectin as it show 85 % improvement

My understanding is that at best it warrants further study. At worst it is just another iteration of hydroxy. The data just isn’t there yet for folks to be calling up their docs to request a script.

Those guys may think they got lightning in a bottle, but it needs to be replicated by other scientists before I would get my hopes up.

A good primer :

https://www.covid19treatmentguidelines.nih.gov/antiviral-therapy/ivermectin/

Some highlights:

Some clinical studies showed no benefits or worsening of disease after ivermectin use,21-24 whereas others reported shorter time to resolution of disease manifestations that were attributed to COVID-19,25-28 greater reduction in inflammatory marker levels,26,27 shorter time to viral clearance,21,26 or lower mortality rates in patients who received ivermectin than in patients who received comparator drugs or placebo.21,26,28

However, most of these studies had incomplete information and significant methodological limitations, which make it difficult to exclude common causes of bias. These limitations include:

The sample size of most of the trials was small.
Various doses and schedules of ivermectin were used.
Some of the randomized controlled trials were open-label studies in which neither the participants nor the investigators were blinded to the treatment arms.
Patients received various concomitant medications (e.g., doxycycline, hydroxychloroquine, azithromycin, zinc, corticosteroids) in addition to ivermectin or the comparator drug. This confounded the assessment of the efficacy or safety of ivermectin.
The severity of COVID-19 in the study participants was not always well described.
The study outcome measures were not always clearly defined.

#21803 3 years ago

I had a patient ask me about Ivermectin last week. He said he heard on Facebook it "wiped out COVID 100%".

I told him essentially what Oaken said above, it needs further study. We don't have enough information to determine if it is a possible drug in the arsenal to fight COVID. I did tell him that I have seen no study that shows it works "100%" and to take what he reads on social media with a grain of salt.

#21804 3 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

I had a patient ask me about Ivermectin last week. He said he heard on Facebook it "wiped out COVID 100%".
I told him essentially what Oaken said above, it needs further study. We don't have enough information to determine if it is an possible drug in the arsenal to fight COVID. I did tell him that I have seen no study that shows it works "100%" and to take what he reads on social media with a grain of salt.

It's doubtful we get clinic trials done to repurpose this off patent drug as it's so cheap to use . Just lots of real world user's who have had great results to back it up . Very safe as well . I know if i get covid i will use it as there is no real risk to give it a try .

#21805 3 years ago

I wish this was a joke, but this is what the scheduling site just told me:
The waiting line to get into the scheduling site to be told there are no appointments available is 12 days!

12_Days (resized).JPG12_Days (resized).JPG

#21806 3 years ago

I told him essentially what Oaken said above, it needs further study. We don't have enough information to determine if it is an possible drug in the arsenal to fight COVID. I did tell him that I have seen no study that shows it works "100%" and to take what he reads on social media with a grain of salt.

If they heard it on FB it must be true

#21807 3 years ago

Studies of ivermectin will continue to be slow due to the no profit model for big pharmaceuticals. But they have tested it in South America and they are finding entire neighborhoods testing negative for covid that take it daily where a placebo in a nearby neighborhood having spiked positive covid results.

#21808 3 years ago

EvHrWvoXcAIivRl (resized).jpgEvHrWvoXcAIivRl (resized).jpg

#21809 3 years ago
Quoted from plowpusher:

It's doubtful we get clinic trials done to repurpose this off patent drug as it's so cheap to use . Just lots of real world user's who have had great results to back it up . Very safe as well . I know if i get covid i will use it as there is no real risk to give it a try .

There's lots of money available from government grants for COVID research. The problem with "real world users" is that is what is called anecdotal evidence and you can't make good clinical decisions from it. There was a RCT done recently which showed no improvement in patients who were given Ivermectin vs placebo and other treatment. More studies should be coming in the next 3-6 months.

#21810 3 years ago
Quoted from JimB:

But they have tested it in South America and they are finding entire neighborhoods testing negative for covid that take it daily where a placebo in a nearby neighborhood having spiked positive covid results.

Can you provide a link to this study? I'd like to take a look at it.

Thanks.

#21811 3 years ago
Quoted from JimB:

Studies of ivermectin will continue to be slow due to the no profit model for big pharmaceuticals. But they have tested it in South America and they are finding entire neighborhoods testing negative for covid that take it daily where a placebo in a nearby neighborhood having spiked positive covid results.

Got any links so we can read about what you are sort of quoting?

#21812 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Got any links so we can read about what you are sort of quoting?

FLCCC

#21813 3 years ago

I told him essentially what Oaken said above, it needs further study. We don't have enough information to determine if it is a possible drug in the arsenal to fight COVID. I did tell him that I have seen no study that shows it works "100%" and to take what he reads on social media with a grain of salt.

What are your thoughts on melatonin, quecertin, famotidine, etc for prophylaxis or to reduce mild symptomatic disease? I’ve read they are all being studied. How about statins and finasteride? Any benefit to those?

I’ve read about research done to repurpose existing drugs and supplements against COVID and all of these made the possibilities list.

#21814 3 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

What are your thoughts on melatonin, quecertin, famotidine, etc for prophylaxis or to reduce mild symptomatic disease? I’ve read they are all being studied. How about statins and finasteride? Any benefit to those?
I’ve read about research done to repurpose existing drugs and supplements against COVID and all of these made the possibilities list.

E480DBB3-6316-4261-9796-83AD72ED9982 (resized).jpegE480DBB3-6316-4261-9796-83AD72ED9982 (resized).jpeg
#21815 3 years ago

The Front Line COVID Critical Care Alliance is a group of physicians who have been pushing various cures and protocols for COVID without controlled clinical trial evidence. While I think their intentions are good, their methods have been questioned by many in the medical field and they have yet to publish or show any data that supports what they recommend.

I'm not anti-Ivermectin, but if you say it has been "tested" in South America with placebo trials I'd simply like to see that study. I've looked and can't find one myself.

#21817 3 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

My position on any new treatment is that I want to see data that supports its use before I recommend it to a patient.

#21818 3 years ago

As neutral an article on the FLCCC that I could pull up quickly.

https://www.medpagetoday.com/infectiousdisease/covid19/90552

Basically they state front and center that their treatments do not pass scientific rigor, and then try to justify it. This is done to preemptively neuter criticism.

It is true science takes time. But there are good reasons for this. Personally, anything they advocate is a hard pass until they or someone else has real scientific data to back up the claims.

Otherwise, you could end up just buying tiger stones.

#21820 3 years ago

FTR - If I offended anyone with my flippant manner, just know I am all for cheaper, widely available alternative treatments to work. Many actual clinical studies have been done on them or are in progress - HCQ, famotidine, ivermectin, oleandrin, quercetin, zinc, D, C, etc. I take Zinc, D, and C everyday myself bc it prob can't hurt and may help.

My problem is the huge appetite of some groups/celebs/politicians to declare these treatments effective in the absence of clinical trials, touting 'clinical papers' spread around social media, etc as proof the pandemic could be stopped and the economy could reopen if only blah blah blah.

"Big Pharma" is not stopping pursuit of these studies. See https://www.covid19treatmentguidelines.nih.gov/antiviral-therapy/ivermectin/ and https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/science/coronavirus-drugs-treatments.html for great information on trials. NIH is spreading money around like drunken sailors on just about anything.

The FLCCC guys seem earnest to me, but they aren't doing research/trials. Their Math+ protocol that includes ivermectin, a statin, zinc, D, famotidine, and melatonin (6 things that prob won't hurt and may help) - also include heparin (blood thinner) and methylprednisone (steroid) - two things that have been proven to work. Their claims about the rest of the cocktail are unproven as far as I can tell.

#21821 3 years ago

Didn't we all go over this with the fish tank stuff almost a year ago, and the other junk the mypillow guy was shilling?

It takes more than a youtube link or Laura Ingraham's endorsement to get me excited about a COVID cure. Science is way more interesting than snake oil for me.

And science + industry has been doing a pretty good job, what with the warp speed vaccines and all!

#21822 3 years ago

The Front Line COVID Critical Care Alliance is a group of physicians who have been pushing various cures and protocols for COVID without controlled clinical trial evidence. While I think their intentions are good, their methods have been questioned by many in the medical field and they have yet to publish or show any data that supports what they recommend.
I'm not anti-Ivermectin, but if you say it has been "tested" in South America with placebo trials I'd simply like to see that study. I've looked and can't find one myself.

This is the problem we need the CDC and WHO to conduct some clinical trials to see if this promising drug has merit so the medical field can use it with confidence and establish use rates . As of now only some random controlled studies for the use on covid so its hard for ivermectin to be prescribed correctly . Being off patent and so cheap no pharma is going pay for a study.

#21823 3 years ago

Most people will not click on a link without an explanation of some sort. Too many viruses and exploits.

#21824 3 years ago

NEW: Issuing an executive order to lift the mask mandate and open Texas to 100 percent.

Today's announcement doesn’t abandon safe practices that Texans have mastered over the past year. Instead, it’s a reminder that each person has a role to play in their own personal safety & the safety of others.

With this executive order, we are ensuring that all businesses and families in Texas have the freedom to determine their own destiny.

#21825 3 years ago

Seems irresponsible and premature to me, but I don't think the rest of the country is taking any lessons from how they do things in Texas this year.

In the decades to come the complete and total politicization of the worst public health crisis in a century is going to fascinate scholars. I hope we've learned some lessons so we can deal better with the next pandemic - which surely isn't gonna take another 100 years to arrive. Can't say I'm too hopeful though.

#21826 3 years ago

Can you provide a link to this study? I'd like to take a look at it.
Thanks.

https://www.thehulltruth.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1123547&d=1612577031

Use of Ivermectin Is Associated With Lower Mortality in Hospitalized Patients With Coronavirus Disease 2019: The Ivermectin in COVID Nineteen Study

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33065103/

Scientific article in Chest Magazine, an esteemed medical journal which Pulmonologists read routinely.

https://www.bitchute.com/video/NSil15MibqlM/

#21827 3 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

NEW: Issuing an executive order to lift the mask mandate and open Texas to 100 percent.
Today's announcement doesn’t abandon safe practices that Texans have mastered over the past year. Instead, it’s a reminder that each person has a role to play in their own personal safety & the safety of others.
With this executive order, we are ensuring that all businesses and families in Texas have the freedom to determine their own destiny.

COVID spike in Texas incoming...

Things are looking better overall but it is very premature to declare Texas 100% open and remove the masking mandate in my opinion. I hope I'm wrong.

#21828 3 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

This was per news outlets just a bit ago. I would never say that Texans have "mastered" safe practices, lol

#21829 3 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

This reads like something a 50y/o wine mom would write after posting a pic of her and the other Karen's drinking at Applebee's.

#21830 3 years ago

COVID spike in Texas incoming...
Things are looking better overall but it is very premature to declare Texas 100% open and remove the masking mandate in my opinion. I hope I'm wrong.

My first thought was manslaughter charges for excess deaths. I realize that may sound controversial, but I’m not joking here. At some point public policy needs to have ramifications. I understand that Governor Abbott is just doing what he thinks is the most political point making course, but it’s dumb. Here is not only no benefit, but it is harmful to the citizens he governs. I really hate that this is how decisions are made now.

And I know he would never be charged even if this leads to thousands of deaths. We are beyond the point of holding our elected officials accountable. And that’s also a shame.

#21831 3 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

Unbelievable. How long did the 100 day mask request last...50 days or so?

#21832 3 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

This was per news outlets just a bit ago. I would never say that Texans have "mastered" safe practices, lol

Oof. I feel so bad for the working class that are at the mercy of their employers to keep them safe.

#21833 3 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

Today's announcement doesn’t abandon safe practices that Texans have mastered over the past year.

This part is pretty funny. Everyone I know from Texas complains about how terrible their community is at safe masking and social distancing practices.

#21834 3 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

Unbelievable. How long did the 100 day mask request last...50 days or so?

I believe the 100 day mask mandate you're referring to is a federal mandate, and does not apply to states. Only federal areas.

#21835 3 years ago

Well, I guess Texas is throwing caution to the wind. I can't imagine what the consequences of that will look like in a couple weeks.

#21836 3 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Well, I guess Texas is throwing caution to the wind. I can't imagine what the consequences of that will look like in a couple weeks.

Me either.

There are still TONS of people down here that don't take it seriously already. I expect major spikes.

#21837 3 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Quoted from Daditude:

There are still TONS of people down here that don't take it seriously already. I expect major spikes.

^ Uh yep, this by factor 100 likely! "don't mess with my freedom"

As my aviator will show, I'll still be donning my facial accessory. I'm one of the ugly ones who have benefited from this mandate.
Look at all the chicks I've picked up!

75268-294x192 (resized).jpg75268-294x192 (resized).jpg
#21838 3 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

Me either.

That's my concern as well. The people who are being responsible and have some common sense are probably going to continue to do what they're doing for the most part. While the anti-masker crowd, who were barely following health recommendations to begin with, are probably going to take this as being open season on everything and that the pandemic is over.

I'm guessing some of the responsible folks will lock themselves down even more knowing that the irresponsible folks will be going around completely unhindered. I probably would if I were down there.

#21839 3 years ago

Florida has been open for awhile, from experience, there was pretty much 100% masked people in grocery stores, big box stores etc. But almost non existent in restaurants and convenience stores, I’m guessing it’d be the same in Texas. Hell when I was in the Dallas area in November, it wasn’t like there were many restrictions then either, haha.

#21840 3 years ago
Quoted from smalltownguy2:

I believe the 100 day mask mandate you're referring to is a federal mandate, and does not apply to states. Only federal areas.

This is true, many states have had mask mandates in place for a lot longer. My state's has been in place for 9 months.

#21841 3 years ago
Quoted from smalltownguy2:

Understood, however it was a request and plea also for the the US, States and people to do it. Its like some states just don't understand the science or "get it". The numbers of infections and deaths were finally lowering. With the Governor essentially sanctioning that masks don't need to be worn it gives the whackadoos the OK. Meanwhile the longer this goes on the more it mutates.

#21842 3 years ago

So long as the spike stays on paper/computer and not the ICU I'm ok with this.

If I recall correctly, one of the original messages was distance > mask.

All I am fairly certain of is that well probably see a large uptick in teen pregnancy when this is over. Or lotion sales.

#21843 3 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

Florida has been open for awhile, from experience, there was pretty much 100% masked people in grocery stores, big box stores etc. But almost non existent in restaurants and convenience stores, I’m guessing it’d be the same in Texas. Hell when I was in the Dallas area in November, it wasn’t like there were many restrictions then either, haha.

I live near Dallas and work in Dallas. I would guesstimate that 25-33% of people already arent wearing masks in grocery stores and retail stores...not to mention the ones that arent wearing them properly. Its more like 75% that arent wearing them in restaurants and convenience stores. Of course, the further you go out from "the big city," the fewer people are wearing them.

#21844 3 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

I live near Dallas and work in Dallas. I would guesstimate that 25-33% of people already arent wearing masks in grocery stores and retail stores...not to mention the ones that arent wearing them properly. Its more like 75% that arent wearing them in restaurants and convenience stores. Of course, the further you go out from "the big city," the fewer people are wearing them.

That's just nuts! There is 100% compliance in all stores here in Seattle, people yell at you and you are kicked out if you don't where one. It's now part of the social contract, like wearing pants. The only businesses where masks come off are in restaurants and bars, and those are mostly outside seating with 25% indoor capacity and 6 feet between tables/seats/pinball rules and all the staff must be masked.

#21845 3 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

That's just nuts! There is 100% compliance in all stores here in Seattle, people yell at you and you are kicked out if you don't where one. It's now part of the social contract, like wearing pants. The only businesses where masks come off are in restaurants and bars, and those are mostly outside seating with 25% indoor capacity and 6 feet between tables/seats/pinball rules and all the staff must be masked.

Around here I saw a road sign showing the proper way to wear a mask which is over your nose. But there are always the ones who think they are better than all others.

#21846 3 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

Apparently, it isn't just in Texas where they aren't taking it seriously. I can't say I blame the governor when this kind of irresponsible leadership is out of his control. And I imagine this crisis is going to get much worse.

https://nypost.com/2021/03/03/migrants-in-texas-who-tested-positive-for-covid-reportedly-released/

#21847 3 years ago

Thoughts on this video:

https://ourtube.co.uk/v/7BDZAP

#21848 3 years ago

Holy cow, the CT vax portal is such a mess to navigate! I’ve come across at least three separate systems that you need to register for and look at to see if any appointments are available—you could do just one but then you miss out on the other options. My 87 year old parents were in the first group but they haven’t gotten vaccinated yet bc their appointments aren’t until Friday. Meanwhile my husband just became eligible on Monday and it took me until today to book him an appointment, but luckily I was able to get him something for Next Weds to get the J&J vaccine. And of course there are people who qualified and got the shot on Monday.

Are other states this difficult to deal with??!!

#21849 3 years ago
Quoted from DaWezl:

Holy cow, the CT vax portal is such a mess to navigate! I’ve come across at least three separate systems that you need to register for and look at to see if any appointments are available—you could do just one but then you miss out on the other options. My 87 year old parents were in the first group but they haven’t gotten vaccinated yet bc their appointments aren’t until Friday. Meanwhile my husband just became eligible on Monday and it took me until today to book him an appointment, but luckily I was able to get him something for Next Weds to get the J&J vaccine. And of course there are people who qualified and got the shot on Monday.
Are other states this difficult to deal with??!!

In a word, yes.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 437 of 576.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread/page/437?hl=clg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.