272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 435 of 576.
#21700 3 years ago

The fogginess and forgetfulness some folks recovering from covid report having (both short and long term) may be a result of bone marrow cells occluding the capillaries in their brains.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamaneurology/fullarticle/2776455

#21702 3 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Its possible Indias rates are related to diet, and fatty foods, sugars, consumed...??
that shifting from a diet high in saturated fats to one with monounsaturated fats will reduce the numbers of those bacteria that produce the most inflammatory endotoxin molecules and thereby reduce the severity of the inflammatory response to a COVID-19 infection in vulnerable individuals, such as in obese

I agree with this completely. The high hospitalization and death rates in this country are a testament to the overall poor state of health of the population. With an obesity rate of over 40 percent which has been proven by “SCIENCE “ (which seems to have become the new favorite buzzword) to be a huge contributor to every major disease (heart disease, diabetes, many cancers etc.) and many chronic conditions that have caused people to not do well with this virus. The American public has been conditioned to believe that the answers to all their problems lie in a pill instead of living a healthier more physically active lifestyle. Doctors are just treating the symptoms by writing one prescription after another instead of eliminating the root cause of the condition. I know this is easier said than done as the patient has to be willing to make the lifestyle changes which most aren’t willing to do when they can just take a pill. How many of these people do you think this pandemic will be a wake up call to make some positive lifestyle changes? Probably very few. This same segment of the population is why health insurance premiums are so high. Everyone is subsidizing everyone else’s prescriptions and procedures. As a self employed person I know first hand paying up to and above 20k a year in premiums for a family plan and we barely go to the doctor. It has been said the Asian countries have done so well because of high mask compliance but they also all have single digit obesity rates which leads to a healthier populace with fewer chronic conditions. So let’s stop only blaming the anti maskers and anti vaxers for the explosion of this virus. I know there is that one in a million healthy person that contracted this and died but if the overall population was healthier there would have been a fraction of the hospitalization and deaths.

#21703 3 years ago
Quoted from supermatt:

I agree with this completely. The high hospitalization and death rates in this country are a testament to the overall poor state of health of the population. With an obesity rate of over 40 percent which has been proven by “SCIENCE “ (which seems to have become the new favorite buzzword) to be a huge contributor to every major disease (heart disease, diabetes, many cancers etc.) and many chronic conditions that have caused people to not do well with this virus. The American public has been conditioned to believe that the answers to all their problems lie in a pill instead of living a healthier more physically active lifestyle. Doctors are just treating the symptoms by writing one prescription after another instead of eliminating the root cause of the condition. I know this is easier said than done as the patient has to be willing to make the lifestyle changes which most aren’t willing to do when they can just take a pill. How many of these people do you think this pandemic will be a wake up call to make some positive lifestyle changes? Probably very few. This same segment of the population is why health insurance premiums are so high. Everyone is subsidizing everyone else’s prescriptions and procedures. As a self employed person I know first hand paying up to and above 20k a year in premiums for a family plan and we barely go to the doctor. It has been said the Asian countries have done so well because of high mask compliance but they also all have single digit obesity rates which leads to a healthier populace with fewer chronic conditions. So let’s stop only blaming the anti maskers and anti vaxers for the explosion of this virus. I know there is that one in a million healthy person that contracted this and died but if the overall population was healthier there would have been a fraction of the hospitalization and deaths.

Perhaps true for deaths, but the science shows plenty of adverse outcomes for even the healthy.

Also overall population health does not translate to a direct effect on virus transmission.

The main concern I have with this line of thinking is blaming the fat for being fat, the old for being old, the sick for being sick, etc...is that it is both overly simplistic and doesn’t really get us out of the current situation.

#21705 3 years ago
Quoted from supermatt:

I agree with most of what you said. I've been saying for years that the key to reducing healthcare costs in this country is taking on the obesity epidemic.

My state has one of the lowest death rates from Covid in the country. We also have the youngest and one of the healthiest populations in the country (not saying we don't have an obesity problem, just not as bad in comparison to most of the rest of the US). The lower death rate isnt a coincidence.

A couple quibbles, however. I've lived in Japan. While they clearly eat a lot healthier and don't have the obese population of western nations like the US, a large portion of the population are still heavy smokers. That should theoretically offset some of the benefits of a healthier diet with a respiratory virus like Covid. Not saying their healthier diet and lower obesity rates don't help, just that the cultural norms of wearing masks when ill or in times of a pandemic play a very large role as well.

Lastly, one in a million? Try 6-10% of Covid deaths. I know several fit, healthy people that ended up in the hospital from Covid. One just had a double lung transplant.

#21706 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

Perhaps true for deaths, but the science shows plenty of adverse outcomes for even the healthy.
Also overall population health does not translate to a direct effect on virus transmission.
The main concern I have with this line of thinking is blaming the fat for being fat, the old for being old, the sick for being sick, etc...is that it is both overly simplistic and doesn’t really get us out of the current situation.

I know it won’t get us out of the current situation quickly but the obesity epidemic didn’t happen overnight either. It’s been a growing problem for more than 20 years and has contributed to healthcare costs skyrocketing. My whole point was that a less overweight country would have resulted in less chronic illness and co-morbidities in people that suffer the worst complications from this virus. Yes, viral transmission wouldn’t change but it would filter through a healthier population with dramatically less complications. I’m sure you won’t find a medical professional that wouldn’t agree with that.

#21707 3 years ago
Quoted from supermatt:

but the obesity epidemic didn’t happen overnight either.

Way back in around 1975-76 a song hit the airwaves called Junk Food Junkie. He hit on everything. And he hit on Big Mac. It was a hot song that got a lot of airplay. McDonalds was having nothing to do with it and refused to advertise on any radio station that played it. And just like that, JFJ was gone.

And we keep packing in the junk food. Who do you blame? The people making it and selling it, or the people eating it? For the people making it, it is a lot of jobs.

Supersize me !

#21708 3 years ago

I would be very curious as to the percentages of people gaining weight or losing weight during quarantine.

#21709 3 years ago

Where I live, electric bikes are everywhere now. The closest thing I remember to a craze like this was when new skateboard wheels came out in the 70s when I was a kid. We have a lot of hills here. These Harley davidson bicycles I converted haul ass up a hill making it fun. Because they are so much more fun, I see way, way more 50 to 80 year olds ride. Around here with our good weather people are outside exercising alot. And you see people who used to walk for excercise cruising around on an ebike with a big grin on their face. Our city has always been bike friendly, but it's gone crazy with ebikes. It appears I'm one of the craziest.

20210217_130335 (resized).jpg20210217_130335 (resized).jpg
#21710 3 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

I can't believe China is still trying to push the narrative it came from somewhere else. First it was planted by the US at the World Military Games and now via imported frozen beef. .

China is basically at war with us because we wanted an enquiry to know where it started .
No wonder they now say it came from us .

IMG_20210222_222724 (resized).jpgIMG_20210222_222724 (resized).jpg
#21711 3 years ago

From the article:

“There is reason to think the country is racing toward an extremely low level of infection,” Makary wrote. “As more people have been infected, most of whom have mild or no symptoms, there are fewer Americans left to be infected. At the current trajectory, I expect COVID will be mostly gone by April, allowing Americans to resume normal life.”

I’d put more stock in it if he had quoted some type of study or defined reasoning rather than just what sounded like wishful thinking. Experts usually tend to back up what they say with expertise, but it sure sounded like he was saying “cases are going down, so I think they will go all the way down” (my paraphrase of the article, not an actual quote).

There are a lot of factors that could change the current trajectory, which is going down. Even the simple ones like people seeing the rate go down start venturing out, giving more fresh hosts to the virus.

#21712 3 years ago

Downplaying the virus by blaming our supposedly poor overall health as a country for all the deaths greatly over simplifies things.

It is also a strategy employed by some to say that COVID is over-hyped, vaccines aren’t necessary for heathy people, medical experts aren’t credible, mask wearing isn’t necessary, etc.

Anything that kills 500k people in a year is a BFD in my book. And it wasn’t half a million people with a foot in the grave that just needed a little push either. Many who survived the disease will have life long consequences.

#21713 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Way back in around 1975-76 a song hit the airwaves called Junk Food Junkie. He hit on everything. And he hit on Big Mac. It was a hot song that got a lot of airplay. McDonalds was having nothing to do with it and refused to advertise on any radio station that played it. And just like that, JFJ was gone.
And we keep packing in the junk food. Who do you blame? The people making it and selling it, or the people eating it? For the people making it, it is a lot of jobs.
Supersize me !

I've always said TV is evil....

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/11/091104181155.htm

#21714 3 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

Downplaying the virus by blaming our supposedly poor overall health as a country for all the deaths greatly over simplifies things.
It is also a strategy employed by some to say that COVID is over-hyped, vaccines aren’t necessary for heathy people, medical experts aren’t credible, mask wearing isn’t necessary, etc.
Anything that kills 500k people in a year is a BFD in my book. And it wasn’t half a million people with a foot in the grave that just needed a little push either. Many who survived the disease will have life long consequences.

Hmmm. "BFD". Another acronym to learn

Soory. I could not resist

#21715 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

Another sticky wicket will be employers requiring employees to vaccinate. Totally within their rights. Totally going to lead to some blowback.
I am curious how many will go the bribe route (get vaccinated / get a bonus) vs. the enforcement route (get vaccinated or else).
If my experience with layoffs / early retirement is any indication ...first carrot and then big stick.

I would be willing to bet money on the fact that Jacobsen v Massachusetts will be called into question before the US Supreme Court with regard to mandating vaccinations. This is going to be a very hot topic in late 2021/early 2022.

Quoted from RTR:

Yet you cannot deny the fact that at least a statistically significant portion of the deaths attributed to COVID-19 were poor outcomes due to the presence of an underlying risk factor from a chronic health condition - type 2 diabetes, heart disease, obesity, COPD, you get the drift.

The great majority of our country is fat and stubborn. And we've paid the price for it.

#21717 3 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

I would be very curious as to the percentages of people gaining weight or losing weight during quarantine.

I've gained about 3 pounds. At home way too much and not as active as a result. Was up 6 lbs post Christmas but am gradually whittling it off with my new elliptical. Boredom and being home a lot for me = more eating

#21719 3 years ago
Quoted from smalltownguy2:

I would be willing to bet money on the fact that Jacobsen v Massachusetts will be called into question before the US Supreme Court with regard to mandating vaccinations. This is going to be a very hot topic in late 2021/early 2022.

Yet you cannot deny the fact that at least a statistically significant portion of the deaths attributed to COVID-19 were poor outcomes due to the presence of an underlying risk factor from a chronic health condition - type 2 diabetes, heart disease, obesity, COPD, you get the drift.
The great majority of our country is fat and stubborn. And we've paid the price for it.

Vaccines will never be mandated. However, I anticipate many countries and some companies will require proof of vaccination for entry and to utilize their services (i.e. - airlines, theme parks, concert venues, etc)... at least for another year or so.

#21720 3 years ago

I always take issue with this type of comment. Mostly because someone close to me died of Covid two months ago. And yes, he had an “underlying risk” that was 100% medically controlled. And that underlying issue had nothing to do with Covid filling up, and then ripping up his lungs. His age made the decision to not put him on a respirator easier, but it was Covid that killed him in less than 2 weeks. He would be alive and I would have seen him yesterday if it wasn’t for this pandemic. His death made the pandemic very simple for me. I switched from leading a very “low risk” lifestyle to a “no risk” one. Statistics are fine, right up until they kill someone you loved.

Sorry if this sounds harsh. I tend to get bitter when someone I love dies, and I’m still a bit toasty from that one.

#21721 3 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

China is basically at war with us because we wanted an enquiry to know where it started .
No wonder they now say it came from us .
[quoted image]

The lack of attention the US press is giving to what you guys are dealing with in regards to China is shocking. Their attempts to undermine any meaningful investigation and control foreign press is a huge threat to Australia, Canada, and the US. The economic retribution is positively belligerent. I wish the US was stepping up and making up for the loss in your exports.

#21722 3 years ago

My wife and I are both higher risk. We are in our 50’s. She has severe asthma and I have inherited
high blood pressure, controlled well with meds and lifestyle. Both of us exercise, eat well, don’t drink much, and have normal weight. She could probably whip at least half the asses on this thread on an uphill hike.

If we die or are severely debilitated by Covid-19, we would fall into a co-morbid category, which as you can see - does not tell our story. Many people are pretty healthy but carry a risk factor. I’m just not seeing the point of bashing people for their risk factors. COVID is the problem, not my high blood pressure. My grandmother who blessed me with hypertension lived to 93 with it.

Now, the stubborn part? Sure, bash away if you are referring to anti-science, anti-vax, anti-mask choices people make that increase their risk. Stubborn is almost always choice. Risk factors not as much.

#21723 3 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

Vaccines will never be mandated. However, I anticipate many countries and some companies will require proof of vaccination for entry and to utilize their services (i.e. - airlines, theme parks, concert venues, etc)... at least for another year or so.

Vaccines HAVE been government mandated before, and they very well could be again.

And the courts will allow it due to the precedent I stated above. But that's what I'm saying - I think that precedent will get challenged when the current administration tries to implement a federal vaccination mandate, IF they try to.

It's going to get volatile, and quick.

#21724 3 years ago

IF they try to.
It's going to get volatile, and quick.

Most people never bother to read the ingredients on a can of soda, energy drink or snack before downing it. However, ask people to be a little responsible and wear a mask or get a vaccine they loose their freaking mind. Haven't people, businesses and the economy suffered enough the past year? At what point will people start to "get it" and stop the stupidity? We can land a rover on Mars but refuse to follow simple directions.

#21725 3 years ago
Quoted from albummydavis:

The lack of attention the US press is giving to what you guys are dealing with in regards to China is shocking. Their attempts to undermine any meaningful investigation and control foreign press is a huge threat to Australia, Canada, and the US. The economic retribution is positively belligerent. I wish the US was stepping up and making up for the loss in your exports.

China is definitely making an example of us .
With them blocking and putting huge tariffs on so many of our products amongst other things .
Our exporters are looking for other markets now and that's a good thing , we are way too reliant on China . I'm sure the USA will buy a lot of our products , we have some great stuff ,
buy buy bye

#21726 3 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

Most people never bother to read the ingredients on a can of soda, energy drink or snack before downing it. However, ask people to be a little responsible and wear a mask or get a vaccine they loose their freaking mind. Haven't people, businesses and the economy suffered enough the past year? At what point will people start to "get it" and stop the stupidity? We can land a rover on Mars but refuse to follow simple directions.

Maybe that's the problem, soda, energy drinks, and snacks?

We've literally been marketed to death.

#21727 3 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

This is about choice. Freedom to choose. I'm not personally arguing with science. But the USA was literally founded on the principle of "We don't like to be told what to do, we're going to do it OUR way."

The problem lies in the fact that once someone's freedom of choice runs up against their obligation to society, things get complicated.

#21728 3 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

We can land a rover on Mars but refuse to follow simple directions.

WE = NASA, some of the most intelligent people on the planet.

WE = "man" some of the dumbest people on the planet.

Quoted from hAbO:

Most people never bother to read the ingredients on a can of soda, energy drink or snack before downing it. However, ask people to be a little responsible and wear a mask or get a vaccine they loose their freaking mind.

Most people also fail to read the terms and conditions on aps like say, IG for instance, and are the same ones that scream free speech when a for profit company does not like what they are trying to say and refuses to post it or removes it.

mib (resized).jpgmib (resized).jpg
#21729 3 years ago

The problem lies in the fact that once someone's freedom of choice runs up against their obligation to society, things get complicated.

Does it get complicated? I don't think it does. Every time it actually comes down to personal choice vs the obligation to society, it seems to come down on the side of obligation to society. Maybe I'm just not thinking it all the way through, but I think almost all of them come down on societies side. I can drive through the center of my town at 100 mph, but society chose to make that a crime due to the danger of it. I'd like to fly without the government knowing exactly who I am and where I'm going, however that is now not allowed. I'm going to skip all the violent things that society has decided shouldn't happen, but I'm sure you could come up with your own examples.

As far as I'm concerned, this is a false dilemma. Obligation to society controls what you can do every day. It only gets complicated when we politicize those decisions. My favorite commercial was from a phone company that had a bunch of firemen running government. The person running it said "Do we want clean water Guys?", and the response was "yeah". Personally I'd like the country to open up again, and the only way we will do that is by having the pandemic under control. And the only way we will do that is with vaccines in arms.

And my justification of that is the same as most of my societal justifications. You should be able to do whatever the heck you want, right up until the point that it impacts others. You can drive 100 mph on a closed track, but doing it in the center of my town might kill someone else. You should be able to shoot yourself in the foot, but you can't do that to others. And you should be able to reject any medication you want... up until it is a disease that kills other people. That is the line this crosses.

And I realize the hypocrisy of what I just said. I said "you should be able to do until it impacts others" immediately followed by why I think society should impact others choices. Not to sound like a drama queen, but if a society didn't force that once in a while, it couldn't survive.

#21730 3 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Most people also fail to read the terms and conditions on aps like say, IG for instance, and are the same ones that scream free speech when a for profit company does not like what they are trying to say and refuses to post it or removes it.
[quoted image]

"We" ultimately have no choice but to "agree" to their terms other than not have a cell phone, use a television, roam the internet, , , just about anything. An app is easy to live without, some other "agreements" not so much.

But I agree, some of these terms are as long as congressional bills or a graduate thesis. It's really no wonder "we" don't bother to read them anymore.

I would imagine the vaccine/gene therapy agreements and contents list reads much simpler

#21731 3 years ago

This is about choice. Freedom to choose. I'm not personally arguing with science. But the USA was literally founded on the principle of "We don't like to be told what to do, we're going to do it OUR way."

People are told what to do all the time from cradle to grave i.e. taxes, wearing seatbelts, not smoking in hospitals etc. Most of the reasons these rules are in place are for safety and health not only to yourself but to others. It may come down to having to show proof of vaccination before being able to do certain activities like traveling, going to a concert or a gym. Other countries have already started doing this. Some will complain and its their choice/freedom not getting it. If its a pre-requisite certain access, they also have the right to deny them - No shirt, No shoes, No Dice.

Looking at some of your older posts it seems you've brought this subject up before. You mentioned also you aren't arguing with science but its not the tone in your posts. No one is going to force anyone to get the vaccine. Herd immunity only works in conjunction with 70%-80% people getting vaccinated. The people that don't get vaccinated can "free-ride" as they are calling it.

Americans (myself included) do not like to be told what to do. That's evident. It's pretty much why our country was founded in the first place. One of our states literally has the slogan, "Live free or die." Seriously.
The ONLY path to ending this in the USA is herd immunity. That's it. I'm not holding my breath for an effective vaccine.
Get it, and get past it or die. That's it. Reality sucks sometimes.

You're going to have a tough time arguing the following two points:
1. We will likely never see a vaccine, as in the 200,000 years humans have been on the planet, we've failed to develop one for a caronavirus yet.
2. Because of #1, herd immunity is the only path forward.
We all know where your risk tolerance is. Be safe. You do you.

#21732 3 years ago

Over 1k infections yesterday in my province of Ontario. The virus just keeps chugging along.
Yet, we will be open for business shortly. I'm confused when we freaked out at 500 infections per day but 1000, daily infections is ok now? Where the F are we with the mutations?; I'm very frustrated!

#21733 3 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

China is definitely making an example of us .
With them blocking and putting huge tariffs on so many of our products amongst other things .
Our exporters are looking for other markets now and that's a good thing , we are way too reliant on China . I'm sure the USA will buy a lot of our products , we have some great stuff ,
buy buy bye

What ya’ll got? I’ll buy some.

#21734 3 years ago

Hey smalltownguy2 - just curious, are you gonna get the vaccine? Freedom to choose aside and totally because I am genuinely curious, would you prefer that others choose to get it?

Do you want your dentist and hygienist to be vaccinated? Your barber? Your doctor when he makes you say ahhh? Your optometrist? Close talkers?

People in your social groups - church, moose lodge, synagogue, book club, mosque, kids hockey group, choir?

I’m trying to figure out if this a genuine freedom of choice argument or just roundabout anti-vaccine.

#21736 3 years ago

When is the last time you walked into a restaurant with no shoes and no shirt?

Now the signs need to be updated to say:

No Shirt

No Shoes

No Mask

No Service

#21737 3 years ago
Quoted from RonSS:

some of these terms are as long as congressional bills or a graduate thesis.

By design. Those in control or those trying to slide something by you do not want you to read it. Just hit "go" and be your ignorant happy self as we milk and mine the data beast that you are.

Plus, the days when attorneys used to get paid by the word has never really gone away.

To quote the W.C. Fields

“If you can’t dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.”

#21738 3 years ago

could lockdowns have happened if no funny money unemployment, and business loans were being passed out like candy? Im curious what happened in third world countries where shutdowns were implemented, but no financial compensation took place. Anybody know?

#21739 3 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

[quoted image]

Loved that movie.
I like the rest of that quote as well....

#21740 3 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Does it get complicated? I don't think it does. Every time it actually comes down to personal choice vs the obligation to society, it seems to come down on the side of obligation to society. Maybe I'm just not thinking it all the way through, but I think almost all of them come down on societies side. I can drive through the center of my town at 100 mph, but society chose to make that a crime due to the danger of it. I'd like to fly without the government knowing exactly who I am and where I'm going, however that is now not allowed. I'm going to skip all the violent things that society has decided shouldn't happen, but I'm sure you could come up with your own examples.
As far as I'm concerned, this is a false dilemma. Obligation to society controls what you can do every day. It only gets complicated when we politicize those decisions. My favorite commercial was from a phone company that had a bunch of firemen running government. The person running it said "Do we want clean water Guys?", and the response was "yeah". Personally I'd like the country to open up again, and the only way we will do that is by having the pandemic under control. And the only way we will do that is with vaccines in arms.
And my justification of that is the same as most of my societal justifications. You should be able to do whatever the heck you want, right up until the point that it impacts others. You can drive 100 mph on a closed track, but doing it in the center of my town might kill someone else. You should be able to shoot yourself in the foot, but you can't do that to others. And you should be able to reject any medication you want... up until it is a disease that kills other people. That is the line this crosses.
And I realize the hypocrisy of what I just said. I said "you should be able to do until it impacts others" immediately followed by why I think society should impact others choices. Not to sound like a drama queen, but if a society didn't force that once in a while, it couldn't survive.

Meh, you don't have to be on a closed track to go 100+ MPH....

Bonneville 12 (resized).PNGBonneville 12 (resized).PNGBonneville 25 (resized).PNGBonneville 25 (resized).PNGBonneville30 (resized).PNGBonneville30 (resized).PNGBonneville 27 (resized).PNGBonneville 27 (resized).PNG
#21741 3 years ago

I can not remember if I updated or not.

But after 5 days in the hospital, and another week at her house recovering, my girlfriend has tested negative now, and we are happily enjoying being together again.

The hospital told her that they thought she had a small stroke, and sadly I can see that, she is not quite as sharp as she was.

I am just so glad that she is back, and loving life again.

And downvote me all you want, but here is my personal view on the vaccine:

Any new drug advertised on tv has a whole lot of possible side affects listed. I have not seen any of those, all I have seen was someone that had a shell fish allergy going on had died, and I have that same allergy.

I am way out there, but I have Cat Scratch Disease, shell fish allergies, low sugar, and other stuff.

My 77 year old Mom has a appointment for her first shot, but she is in great shape, she only has short term memory issues, she is in awesome shape!

Me: with all the weird stuff I have going on I am terrified of any drug. Maybe 3 times a year I need some Pepto Bismol.

Any pain pill that any doc or dentist gives me I have to break it and take a tiny bit of it, I just can not do drugs.

The worst pains I have had, one Alieve pretty much takes care of it, and I have not had any pill for pain in 3 years now, and the last was for dental work.

I am not normal, I know that I am not normal, so I am terrified of any drug.

(also forgot I am allergic also to most anti-biotics)

For me, just staying away from everyone, and being careful when I have to go to the store has worked wonders, I have never been sick with even a cold.

I just plan to do that the rest of my life, I never cared for crowds anyway.

Some people joke about the flu was killed by Covid, well, that is kind of true because people stayed distanced, and careful.

And the whole time my girlfriend was being careful, but her Mom is not, and brought that crap to her.

If I do decide to get vaccinated, I think I prefer the Johnson and Johnson one shot from what I have read.

But at the same time, hell no if just some casual drug store or something.

With the weird problems I have, I am more afraid of what something may do to me, that if I just stay away I would be fine anyway, and I want real doctors around to help me, if I do take the shot and have problems.

(and I can not even take regular vitamins anymore, I can no longer digest them and they make me very ill. I have to use gummies now for most, and crush the rest into a powder).

And for the record, I am not anti anything. I am just very different, and worried.

I have Cat Scratch Disease, I have had it for around 8 years now, and I am told I will always have it. The low blood sugar I have had for 35 years now. I have learned to deal with all that over time, I am not contagious, and now that I stay isolated I am in a lot better shape.

(the cat stuff messes up your immune system, and causes you to easily catch anything going around), best I can tell anyway, but what do I know? I am partly blind because of all that.

I hope the 6 foot thing is always a thing now, so that I never get sick with anything again.

And I am so glad that my girlfriend made it, even she says many times she thought that she could not hold on.

#21742 3 years ago

But the USA was literally founded on the principle of "We don't like to be told what to do, we're going to do it OUR way."

It's funny you guys were founded by religious people wanting freedom to practice their beliefs .
We were founded by criminals and on the first night of settlement , there was an orgy .
And yet , all these years later , we follow rules and don't have weapons , yet you guys are the total opposite
After rereading your post maybe it does make sense .

#21743 3 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

What ya’ll got? I’ll buy some.

We basically sell everything you've got , just a little bit more expensive

#21744 3 years ago

So for those of you that support forced vaccination, where does it stop? What's the cutoff for forcing someone to be vaccinated? Should we force vaccinations for the Flu? What about HPV, HepA-HepB, Encephalitis, Typhoid fever, etc....where does it stop?

#21745 3 years ago

Looking back on an older post I made - 4 months ago the IHME calculated/predicted how many people could die by February. Its pretty amazing how they can model this stuff so accurately. I wish they could predict the weather better though.

"The Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME), which has been cited by the White House Coronavirus Task Force said today 511,373 lives could be lost to COVID-19 across the United States by 28 February 2021.

If universal mask use (95% mask use in public) could save an additional 129,574 lives from September 22, 2020 through the end of February 2021. Similarly, if (85% mask use in public) could save an additional 95,814 lives.

http://www.healthdata.org/research-article/modeling-covid-19-scenarios-united-states"

#21746 3 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

Hey smalltownguy2 - just curious, are you gonna get the vaccine? Freedom to choose aside and totally because I am genuinely curious, would you prefer that others choose to get it?
Do you want your dentist and hygienist to be vaccinated? Your barber? Your doctor when he makes you say ahhh? Your optometrist? Close talkers?
People in your social groups - church, moose lodge, synagogue, book club, mosque, kids hockey group, choir?
I’m trying to figure out if this a genuine freedom of choice argument or just roundabout anti-vaccine.

You missed the part where I said I'm not arguing with science. Of course I'll get vaccinated.

But that has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not the government is allowed to FORCE me to. Different topic.

#21747 3 years ago
Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

I can not remember if I updated or not.
But after 5 days in the hospital, and another week at her house recovering, my girlfriend has tested negative now, and we are happily enjoying being together again.
The hospital told her that they thought she had a small stroke, and sadly I can see that, she is not quite as sharp as she was.
I am just so glad that she is back, and loving life again.
And downvote me all you want, but here is my personal view on the vaccine:
Any new drug advertised on tv has a whole lot of possible side affects listed. I have not seen any of those, all I have seen was someone that had a shell fish allergy going on had died, and I have that same allergy.
I am way out there, but I have Cat Scratch Disease, shell fish allergies, low sugar, and other stuff.
My 77 year old Mom has a appointment for her first shot, but she is in great shape, she only has short term memory issues, she is in awesome shape!
Me: with all the weird stuff I have going on I am terrified of any drug. Maybe 3 times a year I need some Pepto Bismol.
Any pain pill that any doc or dentist gives me I have to break it and take a tiny bit of it, I just can not do drugs.
The worst pains I have had, one Alieve pretty much takes care of it, and I have not had any pill for pain in 3 years now, and the last was for dental work.
I am not normal, I know that I am not normal, so I am terrified of any drug.
(also forgot I am allergic also to most anti-biotics)
For me, just staying away from everyone, and being careful when I have to go to the store has worked wonders, I have never been sick with even a cold.
I just plan to do that the rest of my life, I never cared for crowds anyway.
Some people joke about the flu was killed by Covid, well, that is kind of true because people stayed distanced, and careful.
And the whole time my girlfriend was being careful, but her Mom is not, and brought that crap to her.
If I do decide to get vaccinated, I think I prefer the Johnson and Johnson one shot from what I have read.
But at the same time, hell no if just some casual drug store or something.
With the weird problems I have, I am more afraid of what something may do to me, that if I just stay away I would be fine anyway, and I want real doctors around to help me, if I do take the shot and have problems.
(and I can not even take regular vitamins anymore, I can no longer digest them and they make me very ill. I have to use gummies now for most, and crush the rest into a powder).
And for the record, I am not anti anything. I am just very different, and worried.
I have Cat Scratch Disease, I have had it for around 8 years now, and I am told I will always have it. The low blood sugar I have had for 35 years now. I have learned to deal with all that over time, I am not contagious, and now that I stay isolated I am in a lot better shape.
(the cat stuff messes up your immune system, and causes you to easily catch anything going around), best I can tell anyway, but what do I know? I am partly blind because of all that.
I hope the 6 foot thing is always a thing now, so that I never get sick with anything again.
And I am so glad that my girlfriend made it, even she says many times she thought that she could not hold on.

My parents are about the same age as your mother. Both received their second shots of the Pfizer vaccine two days ago. All they had was a sore arm from the first. Both have been somewhat fatigued and feeling a little off since their second Tuesday but starting to feel better now.

Unless your mother has a history of allergic reactions or anaphylaxis, she should get it. The risk of what may happen if she gets Covid are greater than any small risk there may be with the vaccine IMO.

I am in the Johnson & Johnson two shot clinical trial. Got my first shot 3 weeks ago. All I noticed was very mild arm soreness for a few days and maybe felt a little off the first day. Thought I'd be able to tell whether I got the vaccine or placebo but I still have no idea. My second shot is end of March.

I personally think you're worrying too much. You can't live life avoiding people altogether. I can understand some hesitancy around these new vaccines but I think if there were major safety issues in the offing, we'd probably be starting too see them manifest themselves by now.

#21748 3 years ago

I think there is a gray area to the argument you're trying to make here. When freedom of personal choice potentially puts the health of others around you and in the community at elevated risk, it no longer is just about you and your choices.

With that said, I still maintain there will be no Covid vaccine mandate. You'll just be potentially excluded for a year or so from some activities like flying, concerts, sporting events, etc.

I personally have no problem with that if it turns out to be the case. Those that choose to reject the vaccine have that right. Companies and governments in turn have the right to say who can utilize their services based on risk to their customers and the community at large.

#21749 3 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

So for those of you that support forced vaccination, where does it stop? What's the cutoff for forcing someone to be vaccinated? Should we force vaccinations for the Flu? What about HPV, HepA-HepB, Encephalitis, Typhoid fever, etc....where does it stop?

I must have missed something. Who is supporting forced vaccination?

To be clear, there is a big difference between forced vaccination and requiring proof of vaccination for things like concerts, sporting events, airline travel, etc. You can choose to not be vaccinated and not go to those events or use those modes of travel.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 435 of 576.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread/page/435?hl=parsonsaj and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.