272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 432 of 576.
#21550 3 years ago

How much would the vaccine rate go up if you got a free plate of bacon with each dose?

Hrmmm....

#21551 3 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

It sounds like the government should set up vaccination sites at Waffle Houses

The weather service already uses Waffle House data to judge storm damage after a hurricane. (something like that, I have read it many times).

#21552 3 years ago

There is an explanation of the Waffle House index here:
https://abc11.com/waffle-house-storm-center-index-fema-hurricane-laura/4224478/

My experience during hurricane evacuation - I noted several large towed generators temporarily staged at an inland Waffle House. Clearly they were preparing for the worse and had a plan.

#21553 3 years ago

Not waffle related but...

I know we've discussed Covid19 coming from a lab a few times and that it was thought to be more of a conspiracy theory. However, this was a pretty interesting 8 minute discussion about vaccine differences and "possibility/probability" that Covid19 was created in a lab or at least being studdied. Some of the reasoning is that the virus 1) Has a "Gain of Function" by jumping from animals 2) Jump from people to people 3) Mutating to a more deadlier (pathagenic) strain instead of getting milder like most viruses. All of which do not normally happen in nature without tweaking it. My only complaint is that the scientist gave his opinion of 90% that it came from a lab but didnt expand on it. Still, very very interesting.

#21555 3 years ago

Evidence suggests that some of the UK variant has picked up the South African / Brazilian mutation for immuno escape.

The size of the population with this Frankenstein combo is unknown at this time.

#21556 3 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

I know we've discussed Covid19 coming from a lab a few times and that it was thought to be more of a conspiracy theory. However, this was a pretty interesting 8 minute discussion about vaccine differences and "possibility/probability" that Covid19 was created in a lab or at least being studdied.

I watched this report and found it very interesting about "gain of function" experiments in Wuhan that Obama banned funding for in 2014, yet Fauci continued the funding anyway. Take the source of this video with a grain of salt, but a lot of info here.

https://video.foxnews.com/v/6227902415001#sp=show-clips

#21557 3 years ago

This is how my city has been handling dining and drinking during the pandemic. Allowing businesses to build out structures on the sidewalk and into a parking strip or outdoor business. I am hoping it lasts beyond the pandemic, it was great in the summer!

IMG_20210201_182101-01 (resized).jpegIMG_20210201_182101-01 (resized).jpegIMG_20210201_182142-01 (resized).jpegIMG_20210201_182142-01 (resized).jpeg
#21558 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I watched this report and found it very interesting about "gain of function" experiments in Wuhan that Obama banned funding for in 2014, yet Fauci continued the funding anyway. Take the source of this video with a grain of salt, but a lot of info here.
https://video.foxnews.com/v/6227902415001#sp=show-clips

The moratorium on the gain of function experiments was lifted by the NIH in 2017. It wasn’t a rogue Fauci shunting black money to illegal labs. Sounds like there are some more conspiracy theories going around Fox.

#21559 3 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

I know we've discussed Covid19 coming from a lab a few times and that it was thought to be more of a conspiracy theory.

I saw them on Real Time last week talking about covid19 coming from a lab, and was interested to hear it again. It seems they jump to a lot of conclusions without facts or expertise.

From his wiki page-
On January 29th, 2021 Weinstein appeared on Real Time with Bill Maher along with his wife Heather Heying, an evolutionary biologist, promoting the "Lab Leak" thesis around the origins of COVID-19. The segment drew immediate criticism for its fringe and unscientific thinking by the Daily Beast noting Weinstein is neither an epidemiologist nor a virologist. Weinstein claimed he was "90 percent" certain of the theory, but Kristian Andersen, an associate professor of immunology and microbiology at Scripps University has claimed “these two features of the virus, the mutations … of the spike protein and its distinct backbone, rules out laboratory manipulation as a potential origin for SARS-CoV-2."

I guess the point was to repeat conspiracy theory to generate interest in his 'DarkHorse Podcast'.

#21560 3 years ago

Locality in Canada is saying to quarantine if you were exposed to a maskless person with the British variant for longer than 1 second.

1 second.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-covid-19-variant-in-barrie-outbreak-upends-conventional-wisdom-of/

#21561 3 years ago

Interesting review article about potential 'gain of function' lab origin of Covid-19 (fulltext pdf link):

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7435492/pdf/BIES-9999-2000091.pdf

Title: "Might SARS-CoV-2 Have Arisen via Serial Passage through an Animal Host or Cell Culture?
A potential explanation for much of the novel coronavirus’ distinctive genome".

Who knows though, as the WHO team investigating the origin of the outbreak haven't been allowed to do their job. It's all therefore speculation, but seems to boil down to "unexpectedly high affinity for angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE2), as well as the notable polybasic furin cleavage site within it".

This is how the world ends. Not with a bang, but with a furin cleavage site. And waffles?

#21562 3 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

This is how my city has been handling dining and drinking during the pandemic. Allowing businesses to build out structures on the sidewalk and into a parking strip or outdoor business.

We have these same kind of "tents" as well, but I don't see how they are in any way safer than allowing people in the restaurant itself. Since it's freezing outside, they are fully walled in. At least the restaurants have ventilation. In my eyes, the whole concept is nothing more than a way to exploit a loophole and get around the restrictions. The external structures made sense back when it was warm out and you could open up the sides and essentially be eating outside, but you couldn't pay me to eat in one now.

#21563 3 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

We have these same kind of "tents" as well, but I don't see how they are in any way safer than allowing people in the restaurant itself. Since it's freezing outside, they are fully walled in. At least the restaurants have ventilation. In my eyes, the whole concept is nothing more than a way to exploit a loophole and get around the restrictions. The external structures made sense back when it was warm out and you could open up the sides and essentially be eating outside, but you couldn't pay me to eat in one now.

Some of the more clever ones - at least here in NYC - are actual divided pods with heaters in them. So, perfectly safe. Others have heaters and an open window, with dividers. It's absolutely freezing lately so not doing this often but we have eaten in a few of divided room type places. You might as well be eating in an empty restaurant with those types of get ups.

#21564 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Some of the more clever ones - at least here in NYC - are actual divided pods with heaters in them. So, perfectly safe.

Are they, though? Sure, you're not eating in the space at the same time as other people, but you are still breathing the same air as the party that was dining there before you. It's not like they exchange all the air with fresh air after each party leaves. In my mind, there is still a lot of risk, especially with these more contagious strains that are starting to circulate.

#21566 3 years ago

Meanwhile, at grocery store in Naples, Florida...customers/workers not wearing masks. The owner stated "Masks dont work" and "The virus has not killed 400,000 people in this country - thats total hogwash". The UK varient is on track to be doment in Florida and Cali by next month. I will not feel sorry for people like this if they get it.

#21567 3 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Are they, though? Sure, you're not eating in the space at the same time as other people, but you are still breathing the same air as the party that was dining there before you. It's not like they exchange all the air with fresh air after each party leaves. In my mind, there is still a lot of risk, especially with these more contagious strains that are starting to circulate.

I'm kinda over worrying about it to that degree. I don't think I'm getting COVID off some lingering air from previous customers. THey clean the places between diners as well.

And they aren't hermitically sealed. The doors are usually flaps of plastic, and there's windows you can open / or are already open. Not to mention our numbers are pretty good in NYC.

Would be a shame to get the virus this close to the vaccines but I'm also not completely COVID crazy. What we've been doing has been working for 11 months now as far as us not getting sick.

#21570 3 years ago

I’ve been dining across the country pretty much since this began, because of work, I’d go insane staring at Hotel walls non stop. I haven’t caught it, I use common sense. Wear a mask, wash hands and keep a distance. My sanity is pretty important to me.

#21571 3 years ago

Laboratory accidents do happen.

I wouldn't trust those clowns in their white coats manipulating nature or anybody else even remotely involved to admit when it does happen if they could figure out how to get away with it and not get blamed, especially if it were to start something like this. Any farther than any of us could throw them.

#21572 3 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

Not waffle related but...
I know we've discussed Covid19 coming from a lab a few times and that it was thought to be more of a conspiracy theory. However, this was a pretty interesting 8 minute discussion about vaccine differences and "possibility/probability" that Covid19 was created in a lab or at least being studdied. Some of the reasoning is that the virus 1) Has a "Gain of Function" by jumping from animals 2) Jump from people to people 3) Mutating to a more deadlier (pathagenic) strain instead of getting milder like most viruses. All of which do not normally happen in nature without tweaking it. My only complaint is that the scientist gave his opinion of 90% that it came from a lab but didnt expand on it. Still, very very interesting.

The explanation I saw last spring (ie early on) was that the structure of virus indicated it wasn’t man made. The reason they felt so sure was because the way the virus is constructed, it used elements that bioengineers would have dismissed as ineffective. I haven’t come across any similar technical details to justify why anyone feels it’s lab made.

Here’s the full explanation:

Scientists have said that if the virus was made in a lab then its structure would reveal that it would have been created from viruses that are already known and there would be signs of manipulation.

“These two features of the virus, the mutations in the RBD portion of the spike protein and its distinct backbone, rules out laboratory manipulation as a potential origin for SARS-CoV-2,” Kristian Andersen, an associate professor of immunology and microbiology at Scripps Research and one of the authors of the paper, said in a news release in March.

https://apnews.com/article/9391149002

#21573 3 years ago
Screenshot_20210204-192926~2 (resized).pngScreenshot_20210204-192926~2 (resized).png
#21574 3 years ago
Quoted from DaWezl:

The explanation I saw last spring (ie early on) was that the structure of virus indicated it wasn’t man made. The reason they felt so sure was because the way the virus is constructed, it used elements that bioengineers would have dismissed as ineffective. I haven’t come across any similar technical details to justify why anyone feels it’s lab made.
Here’s the full explanation:
Scientists have said that if the virus was made in a lab then its structure would reveal that it would have been created from viruses that are already known and there would be signs of manipulation.
“These two features of the virus, the mutations in the RBD portion of the spike protein and its distinct backbone, rules out laboratory manipulation as a potential origin for SARS-CoV-2,” Kristian Andersen, an associate professor of immunology and microbiology at Scripps Research and one of the authors of the paper, said in a news release in March.
https://apnews.com/article/9391149002

That just shows it wasn't deliberately man made from the bottom up. That doesn't rule out the virus having been studied and worked on in the Wuhan biolab, and it certainly doesn't rule out either negligence or malice from playing a role in releasing it (personally I lean toward negligence being the most likely).

#21575 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Laboratory accidents do happen.
I wouldn't trust those clowns in their white coats manipulating nature or anybody else even remotely involved to admit when it does happen if they could figure out how to get away with it and not get blamed, especially if it were to start something like this. Any farther than any of us could throw them.

Think Plum Island and Lyme Disease...

#21576 3 years ago

Accidents can and do happen but the benefits to learn from mistakes sometimes outweigh the negative. SpacX, NASA, Wright Brothers, Edison, Lewis Pasteur, etc all had setbacks but prevailed. Every modern convenience today has come from performing scientific research.

Just think of all the research and development that went into making a Filet o' Fish sandwich almost taste and resemble actual food. They said it couldnt be done but damit 400 calories, 600g of salt, 20g fat and 43mg of cholestol later...they did it, they actually did it.

#21577 3 years ago

Over here pancakes and waffles are reserved for dessert , ice cream , maple syrup , Jam , honey ect .
If you ordered chicken and waffles over here , people would look at you funny

#21578 3 years ago

Just got my 2nd vaccine shot this morning. Detroit Health Dept did an excellent, well organized job administering the shots - huge kudos to them. The front line folks continue to be brave rocks stars. Those that are involved in the vaccine administration including the national guard also are providing an amazing service to the country. Thanks to all of you!

#21579 3 years ago

After reading this article, it wouldn’t surprise me if it were being studied in a lab and got out. Also wouldn’t surprise me if it just jumped from a bat to human in the market. One of the most alarming (and contradictory) paragraphs was about stuff happening right here in the good old USA:

“Statistics on the number of breaches in the 1500 or so high containment laboratories in the USA are hard to come by. Serious events are extremely rare, ones that result in an infection in the community are virtually unknown.”

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/laninf/article/PIIS1473-3099(18)30006-9/fulltext

#21580 3 years ago

Why do I think about a man made virus between hockey periods?

#21582 3 years ago

Am I losing it? Or Am I in the Twilight Zone?

The position held last year of less testing, less cases, is now complaining there isnt enough testing.
My friends and family that laughed and shunned masks almost always last year are now telling me
how upset they are at others for not wearing masks.
And Pundits that stated it was no big deal, its like the flu, are now complaining how serious it is.

I even heard the proposal of mailing free Masks to all American Households, now finding support
from mask opposition.

????

#21583 3 years ago
#21584 3 years ago
Quoted from RonSS:

[quoted image]

i believe thats a photo of bangeray taken at a pinball life open house a few years back

#21585 3 years ago
Quoted from RonSS:

[quoted image]

Do we though? It looks like a Dutch cop trying to catch a guy in a canal full of houseboats to me, but what do I know, I'm from Florida.

see: Dutch cops

Politie_Nederland_nieuw_uniform (resized).jpgPolitie_Nederland_nieuw_uniform (resized).jpg
#21586 3 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

Accidents can and do happen but the benefits to learn from mistakes sometimes outweigh the negative.

I'm guessing the ones that really benefited this time are companies like Pfizer, Moderna, and Johnson and Johnson, to name a few.

#21588 3 years ago
Quoted from toastbot:

Do we though? It looks like a Dutch cop trying to catch a guy in a canal full of houseboats to me, but what do I know, I'm from Florida.
see: Dutch cops[quoted image]

Ding ding ding! What is it with naked Dutch people anyways???

D1CC16A8-DC9C-4E86-80E2-BB8559F5F0EF (resized).jpegD1CC16A8-DC9C-4E86-80E2-BB8559F5F0EF (resized).jpeg
#21589 3 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

Ding ding ding! What is it with naked Dutch people anyways???
[quoted image][quoted image]

Thank you for putting up the full, un-slanted, picture. It is all about perspective.

#21591 3 years ago

I would recommend tempered optimism. Warrants further investigation by additional groups.

Very preliminary data. No control group. Very small sample size. Not repeated by anyone else as of yet.

At this stage is at best a Stage 1 trial. Main question for this stage is “does this medicine hurt people?” not “does this medicine help people?”

Remember it was at this stage that hydroxy looked very promising too. Didn’t pan out. Most treatments across most diseases at this stage don’t pan out.

#21592 3 years ago

Over 12 million people - 18% of the population (12/67) - have now received the vaccine in the UK. Cases and deaths are coming down. Here's hoping...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55973847

_116856982_optimised-uk_daily_vax_first_dose_7feb-nc (resized).png_116856982_optimised-uk_daily_vax_first_dose_7feb-nc (resized).png_116857285_optimised-vax_trajectory7feb-nc (resized).png_116857285_optimised-vax_trajectory7feb-nc (resized).png
#21593 3 years ago

A few more graphs. I like graphs

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51768274

_116856980_optimised-uk_daily_cases_with_ra_7feb-nc (resized).png_116856980_optimised-uk_daily_cases_with_ra_7feb-nc (resized).png_116856983_optimised-uk_daily_deaths_with_ra_7feb-nc (resized).png_116856983_optimised-uk_daily_deaths_with_ra_7feb-nc (resized).png
#21594 3 years ago
Quoted from ZNET:

This treatment looks promising.

CD24 seems to be implicated in the inflammatory response seen in severe cases. There are more advanced compounds in development.

https://www.fiercebiotech.com/biotech/merck-inks-425m-oncoimmune-buyout-to-bag-covid-19-drug

#21595 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Thank you for putting up the full, un-slanted, picture.

And I got modded for putting up a cartoon duck with cartoon boobs , in the basement thread

IMG_20210208_224108 (resized).jpgIMG_20210208_224108 (resized).jpg
#21597 3 years ago
Quoted from 7oxford:

CD24 seems to be implicated in the inflammatory response seen in severe cases. There are more advanced compounds in development.
https://www.fiercebiotech.com/biotech/merck-inks-425m-oncoimmune-buyout-to-bag-covid-19-drug

Let's hope that Merck has better success with therapeutics than it had with its vaccine effort. Fingers crossed .

#21598 3 years ago

All the Waffle House talk was fun, and my girlfriend was going to make us breakfast for dinner several days ago.

That never happened. She got bad sick all of a sudden.

She tested positive a week ago.

She is in the hospital now, double pneumonia.

(and she has been so careful the whole time I poked fun at her at times, while actually being pretty careful myself).

I am very sad, she is so damn cool, and when we talk she is still saying I hope you are not mad at me, in case I got you sick.

I wish all of us the best, this shit is nowhere close to being over yet.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 432 of 576.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread/page/432 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.