272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 430 of 576.
#21451 3 years ago
Quoted from oldskool1969:

as instructed by who? such crap.
Typical blame game when a certain type of person get it wrong ( you can be wrong and accept like a normal person )

If the US is anything like Canada or the UK, Public Health policy is not dictated by any one person. Before an official position is given through media, Health Canada, like every Government department, has an internal media department who work with the medical experts, research scientists, and Health Canada. Once the information is vetted, the spokesperson they choose, often a doctor, will explain the why and how for the public. As the science advances and changes, so does the message.

As an analogy that does not require a medical degree to begin to grasp, I used to recommend black rubbers for commercial use on my pins, but now I recommend Superbands after years of data. I wasn't lying then or now.

#21452 3 years ago

California is getting all of the "bad" press but Texas is only 925,000 cases less than Cali and only 2500 less deaths than Cali.

Cali has done twice as much testing as Texas, but not doing the tests won't make the dying go away.

On a per capita basis, Texas has 262 more deaths than Cali per one million population.

It is a good decision that TPF was called off.

Screen Shot 2021-01-27 at 8.38.30 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-01-27 at 8.38.30 AM (resized).png

#21453 3 years ago
Quoted from GolfKill:

Or we could just shut the borders and not let anybody from any other countries in. Which if we had done in January/February 2020 we could have stopped it from ever coming here.

You cant stop the air coming in to the country from what I understand Closing the borders helps deter spread/people somewhat but if you really want into the country you'll find a way. People from one courntry that is banned can fly to another country first then the US (ie China/UK to Canada to US). It was already here in January/February if I remember correctly.

#21454 3 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

The immediate cause of death in that case would be something like progressive hypoxic respiratory failure. Underneath that you would list the specific causes that led to the immediate cause. COVID would be listed in those diagnoses. Underneath the section where the diagnoses leading directly to death are listed is a separate section for diagnoses that contributed to death but didn't immediately cause it. In the case of COVID you would list things like diabetes, obesity, hypertension, etc. here. These are diagnoses that may have made the person more likely to die from COVID but didn't directly lead to death.
I guess the problem is that laypeople get way too caught up on the "immediate cause of death". In the majority of cases there isn't one single problem that leads to someone's death, it's usually a group of problems that work together, the obvious exception being something like trauma or a gunshot wound. That's why it was so hilarious to see the COVID deniers get all worked up when they saw the CDC data on COVID deaths. They thought they'd found some grand conspiracy when COVID wasn't listed as the only diagnosis leading to death. It's not a conspiracy, it's how things are. Death certificates are filled out to try and show what sequence of events led to someone's death. Just because COVID isn't listed as the immediate cause of death doesn't mean the person didn't die from COVID. That's just misunderstanding how death certificates are filled out. Death certificates are also much more complicated and detailed with the computer entry systems. People think of the old single page death certificate where a doctor just wrote "pneumonia" as the cause of death and signed it. It doesn't work that way anymore.
Think of it this way, let's say you get shot in the stomach. You bleed out and die. Ok, the immediate cause of death would be listed as something like refractory hypovolemic shock. Basically you bled out and your blood pressure dropped and you died. That was the immediate reason you ceased to live. The gunshot contributed to that immediate cause and would be listed underneath it. That's why "gunshot wound" may not be the IMMEDIATE cause of death in those cases, it is listed underneath whatever the event was that immediately caused the patient to die. That doesn't mean that your family isn't going to say you died from a gunshot wound or that you didn't die from the gunshot. It's just a more detailed way of describing what led to someone's death. Now then, let's say you get shot in the stomach but you get to the hospital before you bleed out and have emergency surgery. Unfortunately you later develop a severe infection from the gunshot and die from that. Ok, in that case your immediate cause of death would be "septic shock" and gunshot wound would still be listed in the diagnoses underneath it. See, if you just said everyone died of a gunshot wound and left it at that you wouldn't be able to tell how many people bled out vs how many people died of infection later. It's more specific to list the sequence of events that led to the death and that's why death certificates are filled out the way they are now vs the old way.
Some of this also depends on the doctor filling out the certificate. Some doctors are more detailed than others. Afterwards when the public health department publishes how many people died from gunshot wounds they will do a search through all the death certificates and pick out the ones that have gunshot wound listed in the diagnoses leading to death. They clump these things together in the statistic so they make more sense to the public at large. Otherwise you'd have a ton of different specific "immediate" causes listed and you wouldn't be able to tell as much about how many people died from gunshots. Same thing with COVID.
As to the rest of your post, I would say the 100 days of masking may have been chosen as a timeframe that would give vaccinations time to make a difference. Of course that depends on people actually getting the vaccine, if enough people don't get it then there won't be as much of an improvement in the case numbers after 100 days. Plus everyone likes to talk about a President's first 100 days in office for some reason so the number might have been chosen for that reason as well.
I'm actually optimistic that if say 50-60% of the population is vaccinated by this summer we might see something close to a "normal" fall 2021.

Holy cow doc! How much do I owe you?
So, if faulty valve heart patient gets covid and ten days later dies from stroke, was it the dodgy heart or covid? Would all public health officials rule the same? Seems a grey area- like where malpractice lawyers thrive.

Yeah! let’s be optimistic. No point in going inside restaurants in the summer anyway. But I’m hearing 80%- about 540m Pfizer doses? In 7 months~ 210 days with no breaks? Ahh, not going to compute- I’m staying optimistic!

Did you see that high blood pressure 60-yo guy go full kidney failure and die after his second vaccination? That guy was so happy to get vaccinated. Probably had impaired kidneys causing the hbp but still, what would have triggered that?

#21456 3 years ago
Quoted from Trogdor:

Holy cow doc! How much do I owe you?
So, if faulty valve heart patient gets covid and ten days later dies from stroke, was it the dodgy heart or covid? Would all public health officials rule the same? Seems a grey area- like where malpractice lawyers thrive.
Yeah! let’s be optimistic. No point in going inside restaurants in the summer anyway. But I’m hearing 80%- about 540m Pfizer doses? In 7 months~ 210 days with no breaks? Ahh, not going to compute- I’m staying optimistic!
Did you see that high blood pressure 60-yo guy go full kidney failure and die after his second vaccination? That guy was so happy to get vaccinated. Probably had impaired kidneys causing the hbp but still, what would have triggered that?

Free of charge. I reserve the right to point the next 5 people who question how death certificates are done to that post though.

As to your question about a patient with a stroke, both diagnoses would probably be listed as contributing. From there it’s up to the public health people. COVID is known to increase clot formation and a patient with a valve replacement is usually on blood thinners due to clot risk (at least for mechanical valves) so that one would be tough to sort out.

I actually think we might see a decent surge in vaccine availability over the next couple months. It’s a pretty daunting task to try and make a vaccine available to 300+ million people but once the infrastructure gets rolling I think it will happen. The limiting step will be how many people will want to get one.

I did look at an article about the patient that died. It said the family stated he had an adverse reaction a few hours after getting the second dose. The authorities are looking into it. Adverse reactions can happen with any vaccine, we’ll have to wait and see what the investigation shows on it. Last I heard about 3 million people had completed both shots.

#21458 3 years ago

The limiting step will be how many people will want to get one.

My doctor's office is sending out bulk emails asking people to stop calling about when we might be able to get one. I was one of the people bugging them.

I look towards our leaders in Congress to really see how people that downplay the virus react when they actually have a chance to get the vaccine. They instantly rolled up their sleeves and got it. There were a few that rejected it saying that healthcare workers should get it first, and others that already had Covid, so they could pretend to be moral. But overall, almost all got the jab. It is my opinion that 95% of the "anti-vaxxers" will also jump at the chance to get it once they actually can. They won't let their agenda get in the way, and right after getting the jab, they will pretend they didn't.

#21459 3 years ago

Fascinating hearing people argue a 1-2% fatality rate from COVID is no big deal, but a potential .00003% fatality rate from a vaccine is cause for concern.

This last year has been exhausting.

#21460 3 years ago

I told my sister-in-law that the VA has me scheduled for my first dose this afternoon. She immediately tries to warn me off. Talks about people getting the dose and then dying.

Oh really? Do you have a link for that? As usual, she provides no supporting documentation. So I go looking around and all I can find is some trash about the anti-vaxers. That pisses her off and she goes silent.

I end the email exchange that I am starting to fall into the camp says we never landed on the moon; That the moon landing was hoax perpetrated by some exceptional work by the TV and movie moguls. Still silence.

So I send her a link to a site that belongs to a highly opinionated, highly visible, book author and TV personality who has changed her thinking. This person used to be her guru, but the guru saw the light and changed her opinion. That got me a return email telling me the guru is, "full of it".

She is 81 years old and she is not going to get the vaccine. Trouble is, she is not alone. She is one of many millions who think like she does.

I think so highly of her opinions that-------I'm going to get the shot, anyway

#21461 3 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

It is my opinion that 95% of the "anti-vaxxers" will also jump at the chance to get it once they actually can. They won't let their agenda get in the way, and right after getting the jab, they will pretend they didn't.

I had an interesting conversation with an anti vax guy last week whom had been pretty big to bash the idea. Sent me emails about the "China virus" and how the vaccine is more dangerous than the Covid. So he tells me two of his older golfing buddies died last week from complications of Covid. I flat out asked him, so, you re-thinking that vaccine now? Hell yes, wish I had not missed my opportunity I had last month was his response.

Funny how things change.

#21462 3 years ago
284316F8-2E4F-4D58-9F81-78677C665A2D (resized).jpeg284316F8-2E4F-4D58-9F81-78677C665A2D (resized).jpeg
#21464 3 years ago

This is no time for jokes doc, this vaccine is killing almost 2-3 people a week!!! almost as bad as covid killing those that are old, fragile, sick, getting shot, falling off cliffs, getting hit by a bus etc etc etc......I read about a guy that covid made his parachute not open.

#21465 3 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

You cant stop the air coming in to the country from what I understand Closing the borders helps deter spread/people somewhat but if you really want into the country you'll find a way. People from one courntry that is banned can fly to another country first then the US (ie China/UK to Canada to US). It was already here in January/February if I remember correctly.

You stop that by banning ALL countries. Also restricting internal travel, if we had done that in March it would have stayed a New York problem.

#21466 3 years ago

First, of all there has not been any evidence as yet that the vaccine was responsible for anyone's death. That is still under investigation.

Secondly, COVID has killed 21,661 in the last week in the US alone. You haven't been terribly concerned about those deaths yet you get worked up over 2 or 3 unproven deaths?

Makes no sense.

#21467 3 years ago

Secondly, COVID has killed 21,661 in the last week in the US alone. You haven't been terribly concerned about those deaths yet you get worked up over 2 or 3?

I think part of the problem could be the detachment from the numbers. Most people probably can't easily conceptualize something affecting 20k+ people they don't know, but they can relate to and focus on something that affects 2 or 3 people relayed through the news or a friend of a friend.

#21468 3 years ago
Quoted from GolfKill:

You stop that by banning ALL countries. Also restricting internal travel, if we had done that in March it would have stayed a New York problem.

I agree with you. We should have/could have done a lot more but we didnt. We had an abismal response and failed. Lets hope for better times ahead.

#21469 3 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I think part of the problem could be the detachment from the numbers. Most people probably can't easily conceptualize something affecting 20k+ people they don't know, but they can relate to and focus on something that affects 2 or 3 people relayed through the news or a friend of a friend.

Agreed and that’s what is so frustrating for me. So many people don’t care until it affects someone they know. I had a friend of mine call me two weeks ago after a friend of his died from COVID and said “you were right all along, this thing is real.” The really frustrating thing is that those of us that deal with COVID up close every day can give personal experience that COVID is real, it’s killing people every day and that masks and social distancing works. Doesn’t seem to matter, people still grab onto whatever they can find on the internet that they feel confirms their own opinion.

The cognitive dissonance of dismissing a disease that has killed over 300,000 people in the last year and yet go crazy over one news report of a possible death due to an adverse reaction to a vaccine. It’s mind boggling.

#21472 3 years ago

Going to be interesting to see what happens to the case numbers if the PCR cycle count protocol is changed.

#21473 3 years ago

Looks like coronavirus/covid is cured. All news outlets, national and local have Game Stop stock as the top and basically only story.

#21474 3 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Looks like coronavirus/covid is cured. All news outlets, national and local have Game Stop stock as the top and basically only story.

A friend of a friend of mine put $25,000 into gamestop at $40. I was up to $354. Im not sure where/if he sold. Im very curious.

#21476 3 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Yes strange how the case numbers etc have vanished off CNNs main screen too.

#21477 3 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Well, it's a heck of a lot more interesting than the continuously depressing news of covid numbers simply climbing every day.

#21479 3 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Yeah we heard this during the Floyd protests.

Covid been the top story for most of the last 10 months. Something new happens it’s perfectly natural the evil news media will want to cover something else for a change.

Doesn’t mean it’s cured. Thousands of people still dying a day if that makes you feel better.

#21480 3 years ago
Quoted from rwmech5:

If you can't find Covid info on CNN you may need new glasses or hearing aid batteries.

#21481 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yeah we heard this during the Floyd protests.
Covid been the top story for most of the last 10 months. Something new happens it’s perfectly natural the evil news media will want to cover something else for a change.
Doesn’t mean it’s cured. Thousands of people still dying a day if that makes you feel better.

I feel great as I'm seated and eating at the COuNter of a Waffle House restaurant in Toledo, Ohio.

So, are those current "thousands of people still dying a day" making the US death rate higher, the same or lower than past few years? The teevee news reported six covid deaths in Michigan yesterday.
20210129_184117 (resized).jpg20210129_184117 (resized).jpg

#21483 3 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

I feel great as I'm seated and eating at the COuNter of a Waffle House restaurant in Toledo, Ohio.
So, are those current "thousands of people still dying a day" making the US death rate higher, the same or lower than past few years? The teevee news reported six covid deaths in Michigan yesterday.
[quoted image]

I was at the Waffle House on Central in Toledo about a 3 weeks ago. JUST AWFUL ... the waffle was the worst I ever had.

#21484 3 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

eating at the COuNter of a Waffle House

Quoted from bob_e:

I was at the Waffle House

Thanks guys. On top of the pandemic, now I have to shop for a damn waffle maker. I need to stop reading Pinside when I’m hungry.

#21485 3 years ago
Quoted from bob_e:

I was at the Waffle House on Central in Toledo about a 3 weeks ago. JUST AWFUL ... the waffle was the worst I ever had.

Then you just didn't use enough syrup.
I like my syrup with a little waffle.

#21486 3 years ago
Quoted from bob_e:

bob_e, I've frequented hundreds of Waffle House locations over the years. We can thank Rockwell for having me travel for over 30 years. I have never had a bad waffle. If I did, I'd ask for replacement. Coincidentally, I was also at the Central Ave. location. I usually go to the one on the South side in Perrysburg on Dixie Highway & I-475 though.

#21487 3 years ago

That is slightly more healthy than a Full English Breakfast

#21488 3 years ago
Quoted from bob_e:

There is clearly a lot of "waffle interest" in here, so i will add to the intrigue and ask why it was so awful?

Waffle house makes them from scratch and cooks them to order. Unless it was burned, i honestly don't see how you could go wrong.

#21489 3 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

bob_e, I've frequented hundreds of Waffle House locations over the years. We can thank Rockwell for having me travel for over 30 years. I have never had a bad waffle. If I did, I'd ask for replacement. Coincidentally, I was also at the Central Ave. location. I usually go to the one on the South side in Perrysburg on Dixie Highway & I-475 though.

I love Waffle House, there isn’t one anywhere near me so I hit one every time I’m out of town.

#21490 3 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

There is clearly a lot of "waffle interest" in here, so i will add to the intrigue and ask why it was so awful?
Waffle house makes them from scratch and cooks them to order. Unless it was burned, i honestly don't see how you could go wrong.

I love Waffle House. I wish they were in Kansas. Just goes to show you how backwards this state is

#21491 3 years ago
Quoted from rwmech5:

They probably needed to adjust their coding to correct all the data that was incorrectly coming out of New York all of last year?

#21492 3 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

I suppose this is a good question.

But Rose Hills cemetery in California is backed up and booked up. Now the cemetery is holding dead bodies in reefers and it may take as long as month to set up a funeral for a loved one. I have never heard of this happening before. Oh yeah, I have read of the occasional morgue being overwhelmed and just throwing dead bodies in some unused building on its grounds. I have never heard of a cemetery storing bodies in freezer trucks as Rose Hills is now doing.

This sort of lays waste to the tired argument of, "It's just the flu".

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/29/us/cemetery-delays-california-trnd/index.html

#21493 3 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

[quoted image]

BTW: I thought showing pictures of your food was something Facebook was particularly noted for. Maybe I'll start a pinside thread on "What did you have for lunch today?"

#21494 3 years ago

Why not just say it out loud?

#21495 3 years ago

Also note that mine had the optional pecans added.

#21496 3 years ago
Quoted from bob_e:

JUST AWFUL ... the waffle was the worst I ever had.

You haven't had a waffle from twisted Sista , like eating cardboard .

IMG_20210131_025842 (resized).jpgIMG_20210131_025842 (resized).jpg
#21497 3 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

[quoted image]

Quoted from Daditude:

I thought the whole point of Waffle house was to ad a bunch of toppings.
My last one had cheese/ham/sour cream, tasty.

#21498 3 years ago
04daf7d01615_4360.gif04daf7d01615_4360.gif
#21499 3 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

I thought the whole point of Waffle house was to ad a bunch of toppings.
My last one had cheese/ham/sour cream, tasty.

Wait...what??!
Maybe im reading this wrong, but all the toppings go on the hashbrowns, not the waffles.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 430 of 576.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread/page/430?hl=clg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.