272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 429 of 576.
#21400 3 years ago

Got pulled into the hospital to give my colleagues there a break this weekend. This is what seeing patients dying of the “overblown beer virus” looks like:

C1CDB543-3981-4E71-830E-B7957289D153 (resized).jpegC1CDB543-3981-4E71-830E-B7957289D153 (resized).jpeg
#21401 3 years ago

This wasn't pretty either. Over 100 National Guardsmen test positive after being forced out of The Capitol after the inauguration and packed like sardines to sleep in a parking garage.

9901678_012221-cc-cnn-troops-parking-garage-img (resized).jpeg9901678_012221-cc-cnn-troops-parking-garage-img (resized).jpeg

#21402 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

This wasn't pretty either. Over 100 National Guardmen test positive after being forced out of The Capitol after the inauguration and packed like sardines to sleep in a parking garage.
[quoted image]

Only see one or two masks . There is a pandemic going on...

#21403 3 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

Florida is not the place to be. I'll take UK variant for $1K Alex....

Florida is the place to be, where else are you going to see this while having lunch

14B7CF02-2E78-4D85-9341-076165423125 (resized).jpeg14B7CF02-2E78-4D85-9341-076165423125 (resized).jpegCBD592FC-A9B1-44C0-AF92-F76FD80E1DD9 (resized).jpegCBD592FC-A9B1-44C0-AF92-F76FD80E1DD9 (resized).jpeg
#21404 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:Deleted post

I guess we already forgot the mask wearing habits of the last guy?

#21405 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:Deleted post

Hard to sniff people with a mask on.

#21406 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

This wasn't pretty either. Over 100 National Guardsmen test positive after being forced out of The Capitol after the inauguration and packed like sardines to sleep in a parking garage.
[quoted image]

Good thing we have: man on the street Odin out there keeping us informed on all of these "hidden" and cutting edge stories.
Your political agenda and opinion is clear ....I am just not clear on why you feel such a need to keep sharing it in this apolitical covid forum.

#21407 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

[quoted image]

Holy shit, none wearing masks! Good catch odin.

#21408 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

[quoted image]

Oh yeah, that picture brings back a lot of memories. Nothing like "hurry up and wait." As efficient as the Army claims to be, or maybe even tries to be, the amount of hours I spent sitting or standing around waiting during my 4 years is mind-boggling.

#21409 3 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

Got pulled into the hospital to give my colleagues there a break this weekend. This is what seeing patients dying of the “overblown beer virus” looks like:
[quoted image]

I can’t see through all the PPE

#21411 3 years ago
Quoted from oldskool1969:

I can’t see through all the PPE

Why would you say that? That's a joke right?
The doctor is risking his life on the front line and has the patience to deal with us.

#21412 3 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Did Zoltan die from lip synching?

I was thinking that maybe he had been picking his nose before he got on stage and dug a little too deep.

#21413 3 years ago

I get the point. My point is if we are comparing one to the other let’s do it fairly. You could count on one hand when the other guy was wearing a mask all year. We shouldn't even be talking about politics in the forum but in the past week "someone" has done it several times this last week.

#21414 3 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

It looks like Florida is one of the places to be, looking at the outcomes and numbers.
The old media is on the attack there though, it seems? ... I don't understand, why are they doing that?

I'd be suspicious of any numbers out of Florida:
https://www.npr.org/2020/12/08/944200394/florida-agents-raid-home-of-rebekah-jones-former-state-data-scientist

#21418 3 years ago

In California, the virus is gone. Everything reopen!
But only outdoor dining. And there is scattered rain in San Diego and LA...

#21419 3 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

We shouldn't even be talking about politics in the forum but in the past week "someone" has done it several times this last week.

No, we shouldn't. But FYI it's been going on in this thread for months until now. I made my point just like the others did and will try not to bring it up anymore.

#21420 3 years ago
nickleback (resized).jpgnickleback (resized).jpg
#21421 3 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

In California, the virus is gone. Everything reopen!
But only outdoor dining. And there is scattered rain in San Diego and LA...

Yes, they say the hospitalizations have been going way down. And they are lifting the second stay at home order as we speak. The rain is nice and looks to be coming even harder later this week.

It almost looks to me like this virus moves around in waves. Our wave hit hard over the last month and it looks to be starting to move on. Which isn't to say it is or won't be back again. But the medical people have been working real hard and could sure use a break.

#21422 3 years ago
Screenshot_20210125-174734~2 (resized).pngScreenshot_20210125-174734~2 (resized).png
#21423 3 years ago

I don't miss the handshake thing at all. Some old man trying to break my fingers to show me how strong he still is. Then you have the slimy shake which I certainly won't miss either.

#21424 3 years ago

Maybe we have peaked and the daily death rate will start declining. Although, zero deaths per day is probably a ways off.

Screen Shot 2021-01-25 at 7.34.27 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-01-25 at 7.34.27 PM (resized).png

Screen Shot 2021-01-25 at 7.34.37 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-01-25 at 7.34.37 PM (resized).png

#21425 3 years ago

Hospitals here locally are getting a little bit of a reprieve although they are still at 90-95% capacity. I think the surge we have been seeing was related to the holidays and people getting together or traveling for that. Now that surge is waning some so we are seeing a decline in active cases. Hopefully we will start to see some improvement related to the vaccine in the next month or so.

#21426 3 years ago

You’re clearly not understanding or simply refusing to accept reality. Go back and read my multiple explanations of this process. I’m done trying to explain it to you.

This is kind of hilarious. You’ve got plenty going on doc, but the guy did read and applied what you wrote. Basically, he’s treating covid like your explanation for cancer. If they have covid and died, lung failure or whatever would be their cause of death.

Whatever- overall mortality is up!- everyone agrees. People developing unhealthy habits and tearing of societal fabric is also approaching a tipping point. Do we really need another false narrative like “100 days” right now? That is part of some “great plan”? How bout “300 or more days”? Isn’t that more realistic and hey wear two masks because we were wrong about one? All these masks are biodegradable and can’t possibly contribute to global warming right? Right?? And if someone can be pressured into not saying their educated opinion in a leadership role of a health institution, no matter what pressure is applied (Fauci- looking at you), they have lost all respectability to remain in said position. And yeah- Minnesota people, great time to travel to Brazil right?
Have another great year in quarantine everybody!

#21427 3 years ago

Minnesota Department of Health has detected the first USA case of the Brazil variant.

They randomly sequence 50 covid samples a week, so it was found within a pretty small sample size.

#21429 3 years ago
Quoted from Trogdor:

This is kind of hilarious. You’ve got plenty going on doc, but the guy did read and applied what you wrote. Basically, he’s treating covid like your explanation for cancer. If they have covid and died, lung failure or whatever would be their cause of death.
Whatever- overall mortality is up!- everyone agrees. People developing unhealthy habits and tearing of societal fabric is also approaching a tipping point. Do we really need another false narrative like “100 days” right now? That is part of some “great plan”? How bout “300 or more days”? Isn’t that more realistic and hey wear two masks because we were wrong about one? All these masks are biodegradable and can’t possibly contribute to global warming right? Right?? And if someone can be pressured into not saying their educated opinion in a leadership role of a health institution, no matter what pressure is applied (Fauci- looking at you), they have lost all respectability to remain in said position. And yeah- Minnesota people, great time to travel to Brazil right?
Have another great year in quarantine everybody!

The immediate cause of death in that case would be something like progressive hypoxic respiratory failure. Underneath that you would list the specific causes that led to the immediate cause. COVID would be listed in those diagnoses. Underneath the section where the diagnoses leading directly to death are listed is a separate section for diagnoses that contributed to death but didn't immediately cause it. In the case of COVID you would list things like diabetes, obesity, hypertension, etc. here. These are diagnoses that may have made the person more likely to die from COVID but didn't directly lead to death.

I guess the problem is that laypeople get way too caught up on the "immediate cause of death". In the majority of cases there isn't one single problem that leads to someone's death, it's usually a group of problems that work together, the obvious exception being something like trauma or a gunshot wound. That's why it was so hilarious to see the COVID deniers get all worked up when they saw the CDC data on COVID deaths. They thought they'd found some grand conspiracy when COVID wasn't listed as the only diagnosis leading to death. It's not a conspiracy, it's how things are. Death certificates are filled out to try and show what sequence of events led to someone's death. Just because COVID isn't listed as the immediate cause of death doesn't mean the person didn't die from COVID. That's just misunderstanding how death certificates are filled out. Death certificates are also much more complicated and detailed with the computer entry systems. People think of the old single page death certificate where a doctor just wrote "pneumonia" as the cause of death and signed it. It doesn't work that way anymore.

Think of it this way, let's say you get shot in the stomach. You bleed out and die. Ok, the immediate cause of death would be listed as something like refractory hypovolemic shock. Basically you bled out and your blood pressure dropped and you died. That was the immediate reason you ceased to live. The gunshot contributed to that immediate cause and would be listed underneath it. That's why "gunshot wound" may not be the IMMEDIATE cause of death in those cases, it is listed underneath whatever the event was that immediately caused the patient to die. That doesn't mean that your family isn't going to say you died from a gunshot wound or that you didn't die from the gunshot. It's just a more detailed way of describing what led to someone's death. Now then, let's say you get shot in the stomach but you get to the hospital before you bleed out and have emergency surgery. Unfortunately you later develop a severe infection from the gunshot and die from that. Ok, in that case your immediate cause of death would be "septic shock" and gunshot wound would still be listed in the diagnoses underneath it. See, if you just said everyone died of a gunshot wound and left it at that you wouldn't be able to tell how many people bled out vs how many people died of infection later. It's more specific to list the sequence of events that led to the death and that's why death certificates are filled out the way they are now vs the old way.

Some of this also depends on the doctor filling out the certificate. Some doctors are more detailed than others. Afterwards when the public health department publishes how many people died from gunshot wounds they will do a search through all the death certificates and pick out the ones that have gunshot wound listed in the diagnoses leading to death. They clump these things together in the statistic so they make more sense to the public at large. Otherwise you'd have a ton of different specific "immediate" causes listed and you wouldn't be able to tell as much about how many people died from gunshots. Same thing with COVID.

As to the rest of your post, I would say the 100 days of masking may have been chosen as a timeframe that would give vaccinations time to make a difference. Of course that depends on people actually getting the vaccine, if enough people don't get it then there won't be as much of an improvement in the case numbers after 100 days. Plus everyone likes to talk about a President's first 100 days in office for some reason so the number might have been chosen for that reason as well.

I'm actually optimistic that if say 50-60% of the population is vaccinated by this summer we might see something close to a "normal" fall 2021.

#21430 3 years ago

Basically, its this. Ignorance of Science and Medicine, is understandable.

It does create "opinions" that some now state as "fact"
After numerous personal discussions with others, this was the wall I hit.

"Science HAS to be Right, Its based on Facts"
If it "changes its position", or it isnt "100% Guaranteed" It isnt a fact, it isnt science, it is wrong.

(Fauci on Jan 21 2020 expressed no need for Virus concern, as instructed......This changed, and therefore he was wrong and nothing else said should matter from him, is an argument)

I have spent countless hours, whether its 6000 year old Earth, Flat Earth, the Virus, or writings,
where the other side works hard to find a single point of contention to claim their opinion is truth and fact.

This type of thinking is taught weekly, and many think this way. The fight is against Higher education is bad, Science and Medicine
is wrong.

#21431 3 years ago

The immediate cause of death in that case would be something like progressive hypoxic respiratory failure. Underneath that you would list the specific causes that led to the immediate cause. COVID would be listed in those diagnoses. Underneath the section where the diagnoses leading directly to death are listed is a separate section for diagnoses that contributed to death but didn't immediately cause it. In the case of COVID you would list things like diabetes, obesity, hypertension, etc. here. These are diagnoses that may have made the person more likely to die from COVID but didn't directly lead to death.
I guess the problem is that laypeople get way too caught up on the "immediate cause of death". In the majority of cases there isn't one single problem that leads to someone's death, it's usually a group of problems that work together, the obvious exception being something like trauma or a gunshot wound. That's why it was so hilarious to see the COVID deniers get all worked up when they saw the CDC data on COVID deaths. They thought they'd found some grand conspiracy when COVID wasn't listed as the only diagnosis leading to death. It's not a conspiracy, it's how things are. Death certificates are filled out to try and show what sequence of events led to someone's death. Just because COVID isn't listed as the immediate cause of death doesn't mean the person didn't die from COVID. That's just misunderstanding how death certificates are filled out. Death certificates are also much more complicated and detailed with the computer entry systems. People think of the old single page death certificate where a doctor just wrote "pneumonia" as the cause of death and signed it. It doesn't work that way anymore.
Think of it this way, let's say you get shot in the stomach. You bleed out and die. Ok, the immediate cause of death would be listed as something like refractory hypovolemic shock. Basically you bled out and your blood pressure dropped and you died. That was the immediate reason you ceased to live. The gunshot contributed to that immediate cause and would be listed underneath it. That's why "gunshot wound" may not be the IMMEDIATE cause of death in those cases, it is listed underneath whatever the event was that immediately caused the patient to die. That doesn't mean that your family isn't going to say you died from a gunshot wound or that you didn't die from the gunshot. It's just a more detailed way of describing what led to someone's death. Now then, let's say you get shot in the stomach but you get to the hospital before you bleed out and have emergency surgery. Unfortunately you later develop a severe infection from the gunshot and die from that. Ok, in that case your immediate cause of death would be "septic shock" and gunshot wound would still be listed in the diagnoses underneath it. See, if you just said everyone died of a gunshot wound and left it at that you wouldn't be able to tell how many people bled out vs how many people died of infection later. It's more specific to list the sequence of events that led to the death and that's why death certificates are filled out the way they are now vs the old way.
Some of this also depends on the doctor filling out the certificate. Some doctors are more detailed than others. Afterwards when the public health department publishes how many people died from gunshot wounds they will do a search through all the death certificates and pick out the ones that have gunshot wound listed in the diagnoses leading to death. They clump these things together in the statistic so they make more sense to the public at large. Otherwise you'd have a ton of different specific "immediate" causes listed and you wouldn't be able to tell as much about how many people died from gunshots. Same thing with COVID.
As to the rest of your post, I would say the 100 days of masking may have been chosen as a timeframe that would give vaccinations time to make a difference. Of course that depends on people actually getting the vaccine, if enough people don't get it then there won't be as much of an improvement in the case numbers after 100 days. Plus everyone likes to talk about a President's first 100 days in office for some reason so the number might have been chosen for that reason as well.
I'm actually optimistic that if say 50-60% of the population is vaccinated by this summer we might see something close to a "normal" fall 2021.

Very thankful to have you on this thread. Thank you for both your patience and for sharing your expertise.

#21433 3 years ago

Got vaccine?

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/26/world/coronavirus-newsletter-01-26-21-intl/index.html

" The scramble for vaccines is getting ugly. The European Union, facing a shortfall in supply, is threatening to impose tighter export rules on vaccines.

The EU said drugmaker AstraZeneca had "surprisingly" cut down the number of doses it intends to supply to the bloc. Top EU officials did not mince words criticizing the company.
"The European Union has pre-financed the development of the vaccine and its production and wants to see the return," ..."

#21434 3 years ago

Demand is far outweighing supply for the vaccine about everywhere. Is it a distribution problem or are those problems mostly resolved and we are just waiting for production to ramp up? Here wait times for people that are eligible are now a couple weeks out.

#21435 3 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

Demand is far outweighing supply for the vaccine about everywhere. Is it a distribution problem or are those problems mostly resolved and we are just waiting for production to ramp up? Here wait times for people that are eligible are now a couple weeks out.

Distribution primarily.

In the EU looks like there will be a production issue too in the near future.

#21436 3 years ago

No thanks.

I'll let all the front line workers, old people, children, obese people, people with other underlying health conditions , and people who get shots just to get shots get ahead of me in line.

Then, if there is any left for the last 2% of the population, we'll see how the situation looks when that time comes.

#21437 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

No, we shouldn't. But FYI it's been going on in this thread for months until now. I made my point just like the others did and will try not to bring it up anymore.

"If you can't say the right thing, stay out of it!!" ... like, what do you know anyway mate?? lol

#21438 3 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

(Fauci on Jan 21 2020 expressed no need for Virus concern, as instructed......This changed, and therefore he was wrong and nothing else said should matter from him, is an argument)

as instructed by who? such crap.
Typical blame game when a certain type of person get it wrong ( you can be wrong and accept like a normal person )

#21439 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

It almost looks to me like this virus moves around in waves. Our wave hit hard over the last month and it looks to be starting to move on. Which isn't to say it is or won't be back again. But the medical people have been working real hard and could sure use a break.

Tracking the waves in my state, it's pretty clear the high points of infection waves are the 2 weeks following Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years... because people didn't follow the guidelines and travelled and gathered inside with friends and families over the holidays. I would hope with the new mask mandates, increased buy in from the public, vaccine distribution, post-New Years lockdowns and no more holidays for a while, the downward trend will continue to happen. It's amazing how much infection rates drop off when people follow the guidelines, as well as get vaccinated. It's almost as if everything Fauci and other scientists have been telling us was right all along.

#21440 3 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

Here in North Texas at least it is a distribution issue, not a supply issue as much. Need to get enough sites and personnel that can get shots into arms. It's getting better week by week.

#21442 3 years ago

E0E9A60B-D580-42D4-BF3D-FD1E563A2523 (resized).jpegE0E9A60B-D580-42D4-BF3D-FD1E563A2523 (resized).jpeg
Art by https://instagram.com/mjhiblenart?igshid=lsbqsi4ot5tx

#21443 3 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

Tracking the waves in my state, it's pretty clear the high points of infection waves are the 2 weeks following Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years...

Ours hit in time shorty after big celebrations in early and mid November. Could have been baseball, basketball, or anything else. Then the holidays piled it on. I thought it kind of started petering out before the real brunt of that should have hit.

I give it to those that just stayed home because that's mostly what they do anyway. And a super hats off to all the front line workers, especially in hospitals, even those that never signed up for this. I'd also like to thank the food workers, because it's been a long time since we've had pizza wars around here anything like this.

And, like the rest of you, I'm just happy to be alive.

#21446 3 years ago

Here in Ontario were been told that we won’t receive any more doses of vaccine for another 2 weeks, so the remaining doses we have will be used to give 2nd doses to those that already have the 1st one. We’re told the delay is from updating a plant in Belgium and production will ramp up once the work is done.

Literally everyone In the world is competing for vaccine. A lot of people will need to wait.

#21447 3 years ago
Quoted from oldskool1969:

as instructed by who? such crap.
Typical blame game when a certain type of person get it wrong ( you can be wrong and accept like a normal person )

Of course, you are entitled to your opinion, and perhaps you live somewhere not in the US, or focus on specific media for your info,
and that, I feel is a number one source of varying opinions/facts.

#21448 3 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Here in Ontario were been told that we won’t receive any more doses of vaccine for another 2 weeks, so the remaining doses we have will be used to give 2nd doses to those that already have the 1st one. We’re told the delay is from updating a plant in Belgium and production will ramp up once the work is done.
Literally everyone In the world is competing for vaccine. A lot of people will need to wait.

I was watching the news last night (Lester Holt) and Canada will have enough doses to vaccinate their entire population 4 or 5 times over. The US will eventually have enough for 3x over I believe. The piece was about getting the world vaccinated because Covid will just linger if the poorer countries arent taken care of. Its essentially a large scale 70% herd immunity by getting the world vaccinated not just the US, UK, Canada etc. The richer countries help the poorer countries because the benifit is for us all. It cost billions to save trillions later on was what the one guy was saying.

#21449 3 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

I was watching the news last night (Lester Holt) and Canada will have enough doses to vaccinage their population 4 or 5 times over. The US will have enough for 3 I believe. The piece was about getting the world vaccinated because Covid will just linger if the poorer countries arent taken care of. Its essentially a large scale 70% herd immunity by getting the world vaccinated not just the US, UK, Canada etc.

Or we could just shut the borders and not let anybody from any other countries in. Which if we had done in January/February 2020 we could have stopped it from ever coming here.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 429 of 576.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread/page/429 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.