272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 422 of 576.
#21050 3 years ago

This is something that would be funny in most other situations. But not right now. The pictures look like a bunch of people lining up for the latest iPhone.

" Florida's first-come, first-serve Covid-19 vaccination plan for the elderly leads to scramble"

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/30/us/florida-coronavirus-vaccine-line/index.html

" Each site had just 300 vaccine doses, and "no appointment is necessary," the county said."

#21052 3 years ago

And that nut had a job at a hospital and access to the vaccine. Some people I know and considered reasonably well balanced, now apparently believe conspiracy theory BS. It's scary...

#21053 3 years ago

"What you are seeing is one of the wealthiest, geographically advantaged, productive capitalist societies in the world flounder and fail at its most basic test. Taking care of its people. This crisis is not about the virus. This crisis is about the massive failure of our, “Booming economy,” to survive even modest challenges. It is about the market dissonance of shortages in stores, even as farmers/producers destroy unused crops and products. This crisis is about huge corporations needing an emergency bailout within days of the longest Bull Market in our history ending, and despite the ability to borrow with zero percent interest rates. This crisis is about corporatized healthcare systems being unable and ill equipped to provide basic healthcare, at the same time they post record profits. It is about crisis response depending on antiquated systems nobody remembers how to operate. But most of all, this crisis is a direct result of the politicization of every aspect of our society for the benefit of a privileged few. The vilification of education, science, media, natural rights, rural lifestyles, urban lifestyles, charity, compassion, and virtually everything else for brief political gain has gutted our society." -Paul Field

#21054 3 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

"What you are seeing is one of the wealthiest, geographically advantaged, productive capitalist societies in the world flounder and fail at its most basic test. Taking care of its people. This crisis is not about the virus. This crisis is about the massive failure of our, “Booming economy,” to survive even modest challenges. It is about the market dissonance of shortages in stores, even as farmers/producers destroy unused crops and products. This crisis is about huge corporations needing an emergency bailout within days of the longest Bull Market in our history ending, and despite the ability to borrow with zero percent interest rates. This crisis is about corporatized healthcare systems being unable and ill equipped to provide basic healthcare, at the same time they post record profits. It is about crisis response depending on antiquated systems nobody remembers how to operate. But most of all, this crisis is a direct result of the politicization of every aspect of our society for the benefit of a privileged few. The vilification of education, science, media, natural rights, rural lifestyles, urban lifestyles, charity, compassion, and virtually everything else for brief political gain has gutted our society." -Paul Field

There’s no way to respond to this without being political.

Keep in mind that people are dying at high rates regardless of the political or health care system they live under. The soclialized health care systems of Europe aren’t doing much better, Russia now claims 4x as many people have died there (i suspect that’s still a huge face-saving underestimation), no one knows for sure what’s happening in most other countries (Iran, India Indonesia, etc. In fact, The NY Times is now finally acknowledging the China’s numbers are complete fabrication.

But yes, we should have done better at every level. And now we are watching the states screw up vaccine distribution in ways no one could dream.

#21055 3 years ago

Next administration is/was deciding on whether to release real US numbers.

Not from the news, but from inside.

#21056 3 years ago

I guess this should be the song of 2020 and beyond.
The Police-Don't Stand so close to Me!

#21057 3 years ago

Lets All Have a Great Amazing Safe year.
Wear a face mask, stay 10 feet apart, and not worry about our personal opinions towards each other. Lets work together, be smarter, and get your shot.
Now the important PSA below says it all.
Fuck 2020! ...and Happy New Year to all and peace on earth.
Watch "Public Work | #EFF2020: A Holiday Campaign (Uncensored)" on YouTube

#21059 3 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

Who is Paul Field?

#21061 3 years ago

He likely doesn't care that it's not true.

But if true, that would make dining out more enjoyable eventually!

#21062 3 years ago
Quoted from poppapin:

I guess this should be the song of 2020 and beyond.

It’s B side...

#21063 3 years ago

Sad news for me as my 86 yr old mother got covid 2 weeks ago and has passed away 2 days ago . She was being cared for by my sister in CA who has also contracted covid but seems to be doing ok she's 63.She was in assisted living and spent 2 weeks in hospital ,got dehydrated with low o2 then kidneys failed and just gave up in the end . Steroids plus antibiotics o2 and iv's was not enough to keep her going.
Been reading about some treatments of IVERMECTIN for prevention and paitient recovery with good results in other counties but not much of it being used in the USA. Anybody tried it or have any info would be appreciated. Losing a elderly family member in poor health is to expected but any cases of the younger ones will not be easy to take . Stay Safe Plowpusher

#21064 3 years ago

The deaths and severe covid illness really seem to be hitting the political world recently:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/01/politics/virginia-state-senator-dies-covid-19/index.html

#21065 3 years ago
Quoted from plowpusher:

Sad news for me as my 86 yr old mother got covid 2 weeks ago and has passed away 2 days ago . She was being cared for by my sister in CA who has also contracted covid but seems to be doing ok she's 63.She was in assisted living and spent 2 weeks in hospital ,got dehydrated with low o2 then kidneys failed and just gave up in the end . Steroids plus antibiotics o2 and iv's was not enough to keep her going.
Been reading about some treatments of IVERMECTIN for prevention and paitient recovery with good results in other counties but not much of it being used in the USA. Anybody tried it or have any info would be appreciated. Losing a elderly family member in poor health is to expected but any cases of the younger ones will not be easy to take . Stay Safe Plowpusher

Condolescenses to you and your family, it's never easy losing a parent. Take care

#21066 3 years ago
Quoted from plowpusher:

Re IVERMECTIN:

From what I read a month or so ago, there were some preprint meta analysis type papers from reputable sources out there. Also some trials going on in South America and India etc...that purportedly were showing positive results.

BUT

Meta analysis only points the way towards what should be further researched and the trials I am aware of were not scientifically rigorous.

So basically my take is it is worth looking into, but might not pan out.

#21067 3 years ago
Quoted from plowpusher:

I'm sorry to hear about your mom. Hugs.

#21068 3 years ago

December was abysmal. December 30th and 31st had 3400 and 3800 people pass alone.

KOmY6Op (resized).pngKOmY6Op (resized).png

#21070 3 years ago

The new variant indeed sucks.

According to Imperial College: https://www.imperial.ac.uk/news/211793/new-covid-19-variant-growing-rapidly-england/
"The new SARS-CoV-2 variant is growing rapidly, is more transmissible than other variants, and affecting a greater proportion of under 20s."

"There is a consensus among all analyses that the VOC has a substantial transmission advantage (increased transmission compared to non-VOC), with the estimated difference in reproduction numbers between VOC and non-VOC ranging between 0.4 and 0.7, and the ratio of reproduction numbers varying between 1.4 and 1.8"

#21071 3 years ago

Meanwhile, in France, we are showing an impressive level of incompetence in the way vaccinations are handled. Check the number of of people vaccinated in various countries (as of December 31). This Map is in French, but I guess you can understand the message...

We are doing better than... Costa Rica ! We are only 5800 times slower than the UK. No wonder we're afraid of this new variant. By the time everyone at risk will be vaccinated in the UK, how many of us will be vaccinated ?

Operation WarpSpeed should be renamed SnailSpeed here.

Nombre_Vaccinations (resized).jpgNombre_Vaccinations (resized).jpg
#21072 3 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

Meanwhile, in France, we are showing an impressive level of incompetence in the way vaccinations are handled. Check the number of of people vaccinated in various countries (as of December 31). This Map is in French, but I guess you can understand the message...
We are doing better than... Costa Rica ! We are only 5800 times slower than the UK. No wonder we're afraid of this new variant. By the time everyone at risk will be vaccinated in the UK, how many of us will be vaccinated ?
Operation WarpSpeed should be renamed SnailSpeed here.
[quoted image]

Well you’re ahead of Australia and the whole SE Asia ... admittedly it is our summer and we have low covid cases

#21073 3 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

We are doing better than... Costa Rica !

Well, to be fair, we, The Netherlands, haven't started yet at all, so you're doing better than Costa Rica AND The Netherlands (and maybe some other countries that haven't started yet). What really matters is how fast it will go the first months though, not how many are vaccinated in the first days or weeks. I hope we're doing a bit better then....

#21074 3 years ago

I'm really sorry for the several losses or other suffering of you guys/girls I read about here. I'm not responding that much at all, and I haven't responded to those posts, but that doesn't mean I'm not with you in my thoughts when I read about them. Wishing you strength and support by your loved ones.

#21077 3 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

Dawn Wells, who played Mary Ann on Gilligan’s Island, has died from COVID-19.

Doctor: do we have updated information on the new strain. Could it carry More of a viral load? Is it more dangerous?

#21079 3 years ago

New strain: Evidence so far suggests it isn’t more severe, but it is a good bit more transmissible.

This means there will likely be more stress on the hospitals, which could result in a decrease in quality of care and an increasing rate of negative outcomes.

#21080 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

New strain: Evidence so far suggests it isn’t more severe, but it is a good bit more transmissible.
This means there will likely be more stress on the hospitals, which could result in a decrease in quality of care and an increasing rate of negative outcomes.

Triage is just around the corner, if not already here. What happens when many of the hospital staff fall over of exhaustion? They have been getting hammered since Day 1.

Does your wife get any days off to recharge?

#21081 3 years ago

In the Netherlands I over 90% of the general practitioners want to take the vaccine, of which 75% immediately. Only 5% really doesn't want to. Those are pretty good numbers I think. I read that in Belgium about 30% don't want to take the vaccine? I'm not sure what causes the difference in percentages.

#21082 3 years ago

Meanwhile, the vaccination proclamations have fizzed out. We were told to expect 20 million to be vaccinated by Dec. 31. We are at 10% of that. And then the other poster says half of the nursing staff will not take the vaccine.

Let's all sit at home for another year.

#21083 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

While it doesn't yet seem it is more serious it is hitting people under 20 much much harder than the previous strains. The number of people under 20 being hospitalized is rising significantly

#21084 3 years ago

My parents in Florida got tipped off about a sign up from their similarly aged friends.

They've both got an appointment on Inauguration Day, Jan 20!

Will indeed be a great day. Maybe I can see them soon.

#21085 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

We’re switching back to n95 masks. It is significantly more transmissible per reports from the UK.

#21086 3 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Doctor: do we have updated information on the new strain. Could it carry More of a viral load? Is it more dangerous?

As Oaken said, at this point it just looks to be more transmissible. Hopefully enough people will get vaccinated to make a difference in the coming months.

#21087 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Meanwhile, the vaccination proclamations have fizzed out. We were told to expect 20 million to be vaccinated by Dec. 31. We are at 10% of that. And then the other poster says half of the nursing staff will not take the vaccine.
Let's all sit at home for another year.

So the lead story in the Post is Gov of Ohio, Dewine states 60% of Nursing staff wont take vaccine.
This is repeated from other sources, and its a bit tricky, but apparently what was said or meant was that when
some Nursing homes were offered early/first vaccines, 60% of the staff said they would wait, and to give to others.
before them. It gets chopped to present an Anti Vaccine Story, as needed for its targeted Audience.
Its a NewsCorp, Murdoch/Fox Piece.
I didnt go further.

#21088 3 years ago

This has to be one of the best years ever. Getting paid to stay home and not get sick. Two things I do so well.

#21089 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

This has to be one of the best years ever. Getting paid to stay home and not get sick. Two things I do so well.

And it is oh so close to fish fillet time!

#21090 3 years ago

" Dr. Drew Pinsky, who apologized for downplaying coronavirus, says he has Covid-19"

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/31/entertainment/dr-drew-pinsky-coronavirus-trnd/?hpt=ob_blogfooterold

""Covid is no fun. I don't recommend it."

"Previously, the doctor had called the pandemic "press-induced" but later apologized."
------------------------------------------

https://deadline.com/2020/04/dr-drew-pinsky-spology-coronavirus-comments-mashup-video-1202902220/

“My early comments about equating coronavirus and influenza were wrong. They were incorrect. I was part of a chorus that was saying that, and we were wrong. And I want to apologize for that.”

" Pinsky..did direct his audience to follow the advice of Dr. Anthony Fauci"

#21091 3 years ago

Canadians are getting pissed off at the growing list of politicians that took a winter vacation abroad while the rest of the country was encouraged to stay at home.

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/list-canadian-politicians-travel_ca_5fec992ac5b6ff747985d01e

#21092 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

sorry, I had a better job. I was paid the stay home, drink and play pinball.

But on a serious note - Stay vigilante against the virus. Continue making good choices. Do not take unnecessary risks. Stay strong, reduce travel and avoid doing activities “just once”, if you have doubts.

My biggest crux is not being able to eat at restaurants. Sure there are some places open for dining, but I’ve avoided them because I believe it unsafe, and calculate that as my highest risk for catching something. I still order pickup and curbside daily and occasionally delivery. After ten months, my other crux is not visiting my family members. Zoom helps but it falls short. Once everyone is vaccinated, we can start doing what we want in our personal lives again.

In March 2020, public awareness of a pandemic was underway and for nine months, we were desperate to find a cure. We had no idea how bad the virus was, no tools nor solutions. We were helpless and had no idea how long things would go on like this.

By Dec 2020, we had developed many protocols and learned how safe/unsafe some activities are. Most importantly, the private market identified and received approval for two miracle vaccines with more on the way. However it will probably take 9 months before the bulk of US AND rest of world receive the shots. So looking forward to Sep, when PEOPLE QUIT GETTiNG SICK and DYING, kids go to school, workers return to work, restaurants are opened, bars are serving, unemployed get jobs, businesses blossom, hospitals beds become available, medical systems can recover and many pinball events occur.

Happy 2021 Pinside - keep flipping.

#21093 3 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

As Oaken said, at this point it just looks to be more transmissible. Hopefully enough people will get vaccinated to make a difference in the coming months.

Thank you . Can it carry more of a viral load?

#21094 3 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

I was paid the stay home, drink and play pinball.

And still, there is so much complaining around here. Not including the very small percentage that actually gets seriously ill from the virus. Sorry to those that can't make the best of any given situation. Or aren't prepared for when shit hits the fan.

Funny part of all of this is when it's over is people will soon go back to their old ways like nothing happened. Until the next one...

#21095 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I had a bad flu last January, that was the last time I was sick... I've never gone a year without being sick before in my life, total upside.

#21096 3 years ago

Wow, Boris just announced new national lockdown in UK, effective immediately. To lift in mid-February - if things go well. Skyrocketing cases due to the new more transmissible strain.

If our leaders had their eye on the ball here, we would be doing something similar in areas.

#21097 3 years ago

I didnt know this. From a friend an AU.

A $4000 on the spot fine for crossing Borders in Australia!!

Could you see anything like this in the US??

#21099 3 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Thank you . Can it carry more of a viral load?

Viral load is a term that describes more the amount of a virus you are exposed to or how much of the virus you have in your system. It is not dependent on a mutation as such.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 422 of 576.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread/page/422?hl=erak and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.