272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 419 of 576.
#20900 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

So, The UK is now dealing with a different variant of Covid. The other European countries and the rest of the world are restricting travel from the UK.

As I understand it this mutation was discovered back in November. That means it already exists outside the UK and shutting down travel won't help.

#20901 3 years ago

Is anyone else here in the U.S. disappointed by the vaccine roll-out? Getting 200 million people vaccinated in 6 months works out to over 1.1 million vaccinations per day. AND, that will double in 3 weeks when they start the second doses. Unless the pace picks up immensely I don't see how we achieve late summer, let alone spring.

#20902 3 years ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

Curious what anyone knows about covid-19 cases spiking due to holiday gatherings?
We were told to expect a big spike after Thanksgiving, yet in SD cases have dropped over 50% since mid-Nov. I was pleasantly surprised by this complete reversal of expected outcomes. I'm hoping that since we didn't see any post-Thanksgiving spike, that we also won't see a post-Christmas spike.
It's been quite relief to have our cases continue to drop each week. I hope the trend continues, but we'll see. I'm also wondering if the rise in cases in other parts of the country has been mistakenly attributed to holiday gatherings, or maybe people took more risks in those parts of the country? It's hard to decipher the data.

Weird. According to Johns Hopkins, your positivity rate is 38% for last week, down from 58% last month. Still very high, though. My state, VA, is at 10%, which was what it was last month.

#20903 3 years ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

Curious what anyone knows about covid-19 cases spiking due to holiday gatherings?
We were told to expect a big spike after Thanksgiving, yet in SD cases have dropped over 50% since mid-Nov. I was pleasantly surprised by this complete reversal of expected outcomes. I'm hoping that since we didn't see any post-Thanksgiving spike, that we also won't see a post-Christmas spike.
It's been quite relief to have our cases continue to drop each week. I hope the trend continues, but we'll see. I'm also wondering if the rise in cases in other parts of the country has been mistakenly attributed to holiday gatherings, or maybe people took more risks in those parts of the country? It's hard to decipher the data.

Agreed on deciphering data and huge regional differences and reactions to the same national events. Its a bit puzzling. I am still taking mostly a wait and see approach.

As far as SD, the falling hospital caseload is a blessing, but I would be very concerned about your high case positivity rate.

My current interpretation is:

The upper Midwest writ large appears to have at least temporarily bent the curve...BUT...(and this is a big but) we are still very much in the red zone.

If the curves consolidate here, if and when there is another spike, lord help us all. Higher lows lead to explosive highs. This has been born out in various regions globally.

In MN we are celebrating having under 3k new cases a day...when 9 months ago we freaked out when we breached 1k. I worry that the new year party crowd will argue ICUs no longer 100% filled so it’s time to party.

Schools are recommended to full distance learning at 50 cases per 10,000. my county’s case load has dropped dramatically so folks want to open up the schools again. We have dropped from 150+ cases per 10,000 to....110 cases per 10,000.

#20904 3 years ago
Quoted from erak:

We go into province wide lockdown again boxing day. Other provinces are doing it too.Toronto and area went into lockdown again Friday. Movies bars etc closed. Limits to number of people indoors etc. Which we had from the start, but businesses and gov relaxed those rules. Which caused the numbers
to start to creep up.
Masks have been mandatory everywhere indoors here since july 7th. Ontario restaurants are still take out only. And have been since the summer. Ontario elementary schools are going to 100% all online classes for 1 week after Xmas holidays. Secondary school is 3 weeks. My step son has been online only since school started. Because we have an in-law setup and I have MS. Ontario is shutting down problem outbreak areas in various cities. But then people travel outside that area to do Christmas shopping or to do things that aren't open in their area. Causing community spread.
Canada was down to very few new cases in the summer. But yesterday 7500 new cases nation wide and 104 deaths. We did get down to less than 300 new cases a day for awhile in the entire country untill school started in sept. Then saw a spike, Thanksgiving made another spike, and that one has been slowly increasing with the holidays. And people being indoors together with the cold weather. There is now roughly an average of 5000+/- new cases a day. And 75-100 deaths per day.
I understand it's frustrating and people are tired. Here's hoping folks are smart, don't lapse safety protocols. But stay safe and home this Christmas and New year's. It's one year out of many more to come, let's keep it that way for everyone.
Merry Christmas![quoted image][quoted image]

The media in the US does not dare provide the "Recovered" figures..

#20905 3 years ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

South Dakota's positivity rate is currently ~39%. Tests per 100K of the population are ~152, one of the lowest rates in the country, and trending down since Thanksgiving. There are a lot of undiagnosed cases in your state.

As for holiday gatherings, our extended family generally does their own thing for Thanksgiving, but there is a big family get together the weekend before Christmas. This year 1/3 did not attend. Those who did didn't wear masks or distance. It was business as usual. This included old people, someone with stage 4 cancer, and a child with diabetes. They will all probably be fine, but just in case, they were very low key with the pics this year.

#20906 3 years ago

Had to get tested yesterday and I'm amazed my county stopped doing drive through testing. You have to stand in line with others and walk into a building for it. After observing some of those folks were visibly sick, we said f that and drove to the next county over which did have drive through testing.

#20907 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinballs:

It's 70% greater chance of transmitting than Classic Covid, but apparently no greater death rate and vaccines still work on it.

So far but I was listening to the news yesterday and one of the doctors was saying it takes a virus maybe a year or two to mutate into a new one to try and get around the vaccine they are currently using. This might be around longer than we want.

Quoted from Pinballs:

My understanding is that many countries have similar variants with the New, Improved Spike Protein now with Enhanced Transmission, but have, perhaps understandably, kept quiet about it (or don't test for it).

I also heard this and makes you wonder what else they aren't telling us?

Quoted from Pinballs:

But anyway, Happy Christmas

Merry Christmas to you also. But within reason.

#20908 3 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Define recovered? MN does a pretty good job of reporting out those no longer hospitalized for example

#20909 3 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Curious where the media would get an accurate, official number of that? I'm not aware of any government entity tracking everyone down and asking if they've recovered or not. I haven't fully recovered, if anyone's asking.

#20910 3 years ago

It's been confirmed- the UK 'super Covid' was a red herring, attributed to the UK only because the UK does half of the world's Covid genomic sequencing. For example, France (same population) does 5% the number of genetic tests (probably much less ? 0.1%), so 'doesn't have it' (if you have no science background and run a country called France).

"For example, Public Health Wales [population 3 million] sequenced about 4,000 genomes in the past week, more than the whole of France [population 65 million] since the beginning of the pandemic".

What a shame our politicians are so scientifically illiterate that they didn't realise this basic 'numerator/denominator' issue (FFS...).

Genetic mutations found in other countries also happen to be in countries doing a lot of testing (S Africa, Denmark, Netherlands). Clearly, the recent case rises seen in many countries are for similar reasons to the UK ("increased transmissibility of the new variant was likely to be down to "biological changes to the virus" [not human behavioural differences]"). Maybe shut their flipping borders too? <rolls eyes>

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55413666

Wouldn't it be nice if our countries weren't run by idiots?

#20912 3 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Here you go.

Screen Shot 2020-12-22 at 3.54.31 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-12-22 at 3.54.31 PM (resized).png

#20913 3 years ago

Covid has found its way to Antartica. So, New Zealand gets on top of the virus and crushes it.

But Antartica.... ?

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/22/world/antarctica-covid-chile-military-base-intl/index.html

#20914 3 years ago
whats in it (resized).jpgwhats in it (resized).jpg
#20915 3 years ago

And for anyone interested in raw numbers, compare South Dakota's testing rate to Delaware's, a state with a comparable population size. It is very obvious South Dakota isn't testing nearly as much as they should be. Why is that?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/national/coronavirus-us-cases-deaths/?itid=hp_pandemic-guide-box-1208

#20916 3 years ago
Quoted from seeburg220:

Curious where the media would get an accurate, official number of that? I'm not aware of any government entity tracking everyone down and asking if they've recovered or not. I haven't fully recovered, if anyone's asking.

I believe "recovered" is where you no longer test positive to Covid, however a study has found plenty of people still feel the effects long after the fact. Hope you fully recover soon mate - wishing you all the best from down under.

Covid after effects (resized).JPGCovid after effects (resized).JPG
#20917 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Covid has found its way to Antartica. So, New Zealand gets on top of the virus and crushes it.
But Antartica.... ?
https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/22/world/antarctica-covid-chile-military-base-intl/index.html

Quoted from chad:

How long before researchers in Antartica get ill?

About 9 months.....

#20918 3 years ago

Apples and oranges. You are not compelled to take the little blue pill.

#20919 3 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

And for anyone interested in raw numbers, compare South Dakota's testing rate to Delaware's, a state with a comparable population size. It is very obvious South Dakota isn't testing nearly as much as they should be. Why is that?
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/national/coronavirus-us-cases-deaths/?itid=hp_pandemic-guide-box-1208

My uneducated guess would be population density. Mass testing sites are pretty convenient if you don't need to travel far. I imagine if I was a 50-minute drive from a testing site, I wouldn't bother.

#20920 3 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

I believe "recovered" is where you no longer test positive to Covid, however a study has found plenty of people still feel the effects long after the fact. Hope you fully recover soon mate - wishing you all the best from down under.[quoted image]

Hey thanks. Some days are fine and then I'll wake up sore as heck the next. As for testing negative, my wife's physician said she could test positive for.months, even though she may no longer be symptomatic or contagious. I plan on going to get tested in a week or two, just to see. Cheers!

#20921 3 years ago
Quoted from roffels:

My uneducated guess would be population density. Mass testing sites are pretty convenient if you don't need to travel far. I imagine if I was a 50-minute drive from a testing site, I wouldn't bother.

Here's a better comparison, North and South Dakota. The difference is one leader knows the importance of testing and the other downplays it. Have a look at this...

ndvssd (resized).PNGndvssd (resized).PNG

#20922 3 years ago

I have a sneaking suspicion that once the vaccine gets to rolling it will be like going to get your driver's license renewed or getting new tags for your car.

Please take a number....

#20923 3 years ago

If you take this virus seriously and think you may have it, you'll drive 50 miles if you are able, especially if you have a family. I just drove more than that. I had the mildest of symptoms, similar to how your throat gets when driving with the window down and breathing cold air for a length of time. I felt fine, but then I developed a flu smell and that was weird. When I'm getting over a bad flu, I can smell by bodily fluids; sweat, farts, breath, shit, and piss all smell like the flu. I could smell everything else just fine. I'm figuring I must have just had a very mild case of it. I did get my flu shot in September.

#20925 3 years ago
hands (resized).jpghands (resized).jpg
#20926 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I have a sneaking suspicion that once the vaccine gets to rolling it will be like going to get your driver's license renewed or getting new tags for your car.
Please take a number....

I have my number as of this afternoon. I can get it as soon as next week but a little hesitant since it’s in extremely short supply around these parts and I’m not required to have it....yet.

#20927 3 years ago
Quoted from EJS:

I have my number as of this afternoon. I can get it as soon as next week but a little hesitant since it’s in extremely short supply around these parts and I’m not required to have it....yet.

So how does one "get a number" - do you get a call or something in the mail? I sure hope it's not via the USPS - they are so overwhelmed and hit by COVID that they will be delivering this year's gifts NEXT Christmas! Here in PA my rural neighborhood has had delivery 2x in FOUR weeks My creditors will be pissed when my payments dont arrive. Sure hope my Get A Shot mail notification isnt caught up in all this mess!!

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/23/business/usps-delays-chrismas-trnd/index.html?fbclid=IwAR08dD3lKtk7f7uGkSdQDtUgIo9TCfGaPNKUYb-5qkj7D9GaIMqhxRRKMUk

#20928 3 years ago

BOOM! Vaccinated.

56006310-400C-4161-AE86-E546A54E1688 (resized).jpeg56006310-400C-4161-AE86-E546A54E1688 (resized).jpeg
#20929 3 years ago

Alex Berneson on covid deaths, pcr testing etc...

Listen to full podcast.

#1582 - Alex Berenson https://open.spotify.com/episode/3hjLLalZM7kXtZPxI5057q

#20930 3 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

If you take this virus seriously and think you may have it, you'll drive 50 miles if you are able, especially if you have a family.

I get what you're saying, but our definitions of taking this serious are different. My assumption is everyone has the virus, myself included, regardless of the tests' results.

So if I have symptoms, I'm treating it as if I have it. I'm also in a position where I can and have been mostly isolated.

#20931 3 years ago
E7D1E2A3-8557-4E7B-934C-A9E3575F1A59 (resized).jpegE7D1E2A3-8557-4E7B-934C-A9E3575F1A59 (resized).jpeg
#20932 3 years ago
Quoted from twoplays25c:

So how does one "get a number" - do you get a call or something in the mail? I sure hope it's not via the USPS - they are so overwhelmed and hit by COVID that they will be delivering this year's gifts NEXT Christmas!

No I was playing off the previous posters verbiage. My number being a letter qualifying me for a vaccination ASAP.

#20933 3 years ago

Merry Christmas to all and best wishes to everyone, we might not all agree on all points but if everybody was the same it would be so boring!

#20934 3 years ago
Quoted from roffels:

Quoted from mcluvin:

If you take this virus seriously and think you may have it, you'll drive 50 miles if you are able, especially if you have a family. I just drove more than that. I had the mildest of symptoms, similar to how your throat gets when driving with the window down and breathing cold air for a length of time. I felt fine, but then I developed a flu smell and that was weird. When I'm getting over a bad flu, I can smell by bodily fluids; sweat, farts, breath, shit, and piss all smell like the flu. I could smell everything else just fine. I'm figuring I must have just had a very mild case of it. I did get my flu shot in September.

Well, a few things with regards to testing. First, if you aren't feeling sick and you haven't knowingly been exposed to someone who is sick, then why would you go out of your way to get a test? Other then for pre-screening reasons, I don't get it.

But as far as availability of testing goes, our "big" cities have plenty of free or cheap testing sites such as grocery stores, pharmacies, Walgreens, ect. And for those not near a convenient testing site, the SD DOH will provide an at-home test to anyone that wants one. You request the test, they mail it to you, then you zoom with a health official to verify your identity, take the test, mail it to them, and have your results within 48hrs. Not a perfect system, but free and convenient for almost anybody.

So there are plenty of tests available for anyone living in SD that wants/needs one.

#20935 3 years ago

A glitch in the matrix huh?

People aught to be allowed to make up their own minds.

Censoring reason? ... that is heading back down the direction of some dark past mistakes.

#20936 3 years ago
Quoted from chad:

Listen to full podcast.
#1582 - Alex Berenson https://open.spotify.com/episode/3hjLLalZM7kXtZPxI5057q

Censorship gone crazy. Great to see some logic, reason, and intelligence being applied to the situation for a change! ... two people even just talking about it

#20937 3 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

Sydney now has 68 cases in 5 days, which is believed to have come from an international flight cabin crew member. Restrictions have been enacted although there are calls for all of greater Sydney to go into lockdown and all states have closed their borders to anyone from greater Sydney (or go into 14 day quarantine). A lot of Christmas plans are now up in turmoil but just hope that it's been contained ...

While the Sydney cluster has grown to 108, the number of new cases were 9 yesterday (from 60,184 tests) and 7 today (from 69,809 tests) so containment of the outbreak is looking good at the moment. There was a slight easing of restrictions in affected area of Sydney for 3 days over Christmas although no one was allowed in or out of the main affected area (the northern beaches). All state boarders remain closed to anyone from greater Sydney.

Australia as a whole had 24 new cases today but most of these are returned overseas travellers or flight crew, so they are quarantined as they come in.

Hope everyone has a wonderful festive season and we can look forward to 2021

#20938 3 years ago
EEE7607A-8BC8-468B-BEA1-20DC568DF2C8 (resized).jpegEEE7607A-8BC8-468B-BEA1-20DC568DF2C8 (resized).jpeg
#20939 3 years ago
073D49FE-E996-4FFB-8363-BD31756DF029 (resized).jpeg073D49FE-E996-4FFB-8363-BD31756DF029 (resized).jpeg
#20940 3 years ago

All the nonsense would be a great joke, and how gullible so many people are. If it didn't have such serious ramifications...

#20941 3 years ago
covid (resized).jpgcovid (resized).jpg
#20942 3 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

A glitch in the matrix huh?

This video seems to be promoting the idea that women are inherently unqualified to participate in government or in management levels of business.
I don't think you will find much support for this idea in the 21st century. You would have had better luck in the 1950s.
The truth is that most of the world is becoming more and more open-minded and inclusive, while a few still cling to the old ways and keep hoping that all of this annoying human rights and equality stuff will just go away.
Well, it's not going away.

#20943 3 years ago
Quoted from chad:

These have already become old, tired arguments in the 8 or 10 months people have been promoting them. Two guys want to go on and on about how covid is not really that big a problem, deaths are exaggerated, and so on. What is the purpose here? They aren't adding any meaningful data or new ideas to the conversation. They must not have any older or sickly relatives, because the main thrust of their argument is that it's not a big deal if old and/or sick people get covid and it hastens their death. No problem! Granny was dying anyway, who cares that she still had some months or years of quality time left? She was just taking up valuable space!
I don't see the purpose of continually promoting these videos by non-experts that try to minimize the pandemic. Sure, there is "Freedom of Speech". You can say anything you want.
But if you have that kind of freedom, why are you so driven to use that freedom to try to convince the world that your rather oversimplified and distorted views are correct, and that the so-called "Mainstream Media" is wrong? If you're so curious about the pandemic and disease in general, why don't you enroll in medical school and learn everything you can about it? Then you might be able to contribute something meaningful to the conversation. Until then, watch all the videos you want, but don't try to tell us that they contain some kind of "truth" that we are somehow unable to see on our own. LOL.
There are a lot of people who have realized that YouTube will pay you money if you get a lot of views on your channel. So it is very profitable to spew a bunch of nonsense on YouTube that is controversial and poorly researched, because it gets you a lot of clicks and makes money. This has contributed to a massive flood of misinformation and lies that are promoted far more vigorously than the true scientific data.
Just because something is repeated loudly over and over again doesn't make it true. Try finding better sources than YouTube, like textbooks, scientific journals, and lab reports.
The truth is out there, but I can almost guarantee you are not going to find it on f**king YouTube.
My sister is right this minute lying at home, in hospice care, dying a horrible death from breast cancer that has spread throughout her body and organs. She would probably have some years left, but she chose to believe all the quack "doctors" and their crappy YouTube videos about cancer treatments, and did not get any "normal" treatments for her breast cancer.
She only had a small lump in the beginning, but YouTube told her not to get radiation or chemotherapy because it's a conspiracy to destroy us somehow. She spent at least $100,000 on quack treatments and overpriced, placebo medicines.
So now my younger sister is dying, because of lies and junk science, just like your Covid nonsense that you find on YouTube and promote to us.
This is my opinion. You are welcome to your own. But think a little bit about the whole thing, and think about my sister.

#20944 3 years ago

I like your meme, but this does speak to a bigger problem of people not understanding the death numbers. Dying WITH covid and dying FROM covid are 2 very different things, but both equal a covid attributed death.

#20945 3 years ago
Quoted from DCP:

She only had a small lump in the beginning, but YouTube told her not to get radiation or chemotherapy because it's a conspiracy to destroy us somehow. She spent at least $100,000 on quack treatments and overpriced, placebo medicines.
So now my younger sister is dying, because of lies and junk science, just like your Covid nonsense that you find on YouTube and promote to us.
This is my opinion. You are welcome to your own. But think a little bit about the whole thing, and think about my sister.

I see this stuff on YT all of the time. Dan Rather torpedoed his TV career for putting up untruths. But on YT, everybody and anybody, can put on a show in front of a web cam located in their basement. There is no vetting the accuracy of what they put up before they put it up.

On YT, Bigfoot is still out there running around somewhere.

I remember when certain items were banned; It used to piss me off with someone in govt. making my choices for me. I am slowly coming to the opinion that some sort of censorship needs to be metered in the direction of what is coming across on the social media sites; Especially the medical trash; But at the same time, this is a slippery slope I don't think we should go down.

#20946 3 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

I like your meme, but this does speak to a bigger problem of people not understanding the death numbers. Dying WITH covid and dying FROM covid are 2 very different things, but both equal a covid attributed death.

It is diffiCult to explain this to some people. Especially when they don't want to know.

#20947 3 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

All the nonsense would be a great joke, and how gullible so many people are. If it didn't have such serious ramifications...

4945A301-8725-442D-A81A-1BF380020AD3.gif4945A301-8725-442D-A81A-1BF380020AD3.gif
#20948 3 years ago
Screenshot_20201226-111800~2 (resized).pngScreenshot_20201226-111800~2 (resized).png
#20949 3 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

It is diffiCult to explain this to some people. Especially when they don't want to know.

You Definitely got that right... one track minds. Follow that diffiCult to explain mainstream!

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 419 of 576.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread/page/419?hl=dawezl and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.