272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 417 of 576.
#20800 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

That you know of.
I would imagine the sports teams are working overtime playing the hush hush action.

So you can't trust statistics? Hmmm...

#20802 3 years ago

10 Pics That Show The Reality Of COVID-19 At Hospitals by Houston photo journalist

#1 Nov. 26. Dr Joseph Varon Comforts A Patient With Coronavirus Disease. I Am Grateful To Witness A Wonderful Moment And I Thank All The Medical Staffs For Their Hard Work Even During The Holiday Season

20-5fd9f90291a3f__880 (resized).jpg20-5fd9f90291a3f__880 (resized).jpg

#2 A Medical Staff Member Grabs A Hand Of A Patient To Reposition The Bed In The Covid-19 Intensive Care Unit On Oct. 31 In Houston

7-5fd9faef3f0f0__880 (resized).jpg7-5fd9faef3f0f0__880 (resized).jpg

#3 A Medical Staff Member Rests In Front Of A Fan In The Covid-19 Intensive Care Unit On June 30 In Houston

5-5fd9f9c6b1747__880 (resized).jpg5-5fd9f9c6b1747__880 (resized).jpg

#4 Members Of The Medical Staff Rest In The Covid-19 Intensive Care Unit At The United Memorial Medical Center On July 2 In Houston

6-5fd9be7e49b3d__880 (resized).jpg6-5fd9be7e49b3d__880 (resized).jpg

#5 Medical Staff Member Jaqoues Bistre Varon Flips A Patient In The Prone Position In The Covid-19 Intensive Care Unit On Dec. 7

9-5fd9fa50db5f7__880 (resized).jpg9-5fd9fa50db5f7__880 (resized).jpg

#6 Medical Staff Wearing Full Ppe Push A Stretcher With The Body Of A Patient Who Died Of The Coronavirus To A Car Outside Of The Covid-19 Intensive Care Unit On June 30 In Houston

4-5fd9fb81764cf__880 (resized).jpg4-5fd9fb81764cf__880 (resized).jpg

#7 Members Of The Medical Staff Treat A Patient Who Is Wearing A Helmet-Based Ventilator In The Covid-19 Intensive Care Unit On July 28 In Houston

3-5fd9be3ae50c4__880 (resized).jpg3-5fd9be3ae50c4__880 (resized).jpg

#8 Iv Pumps And Electrocardiogram Machines Are Seen In A Patient's Room In The Covid-19 Intensive Care Unit On Dec. 7 In Houston

8-5fd9fcba1844a__880 (resized).jpg8-5fd9fcba1844a__880 (resized).jpg

#9 Medical Staff Member Gabriel Cervera Rodriguez Closes His Eyes While Taking A Short Break In The Covid-19 Intensive Care Unit On Dec.

14-5fd9fb5c20a89__880 (resized).jpg14-5fd9fb5c20a89__880 (resized).jpg

#10 Medical Staff Members Treat A Patient In The Covid-19 Intensive Care Unit On Nov. 10 In Houston

2-5fd9be200bdcf__880 (resized).jpg2-5fd9be200bdcf__880 (resized).jpg

Posted on Bored Panda

#20803 3 years ago

This 3D mapped timelapse of Covid cases is pretty darn cool:
https://www.reddit.com/r/dataisbeautiful/comments/jrkoze/3d_map_of_covid_cases_by_population_march_through/

It really feels like either the Sturgis motorcycle rally or that region's complete lack of basic precautions with handwashing, social distancing and masks is responsible for the huge surge in cases we are experiencing now.

#20804 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

Find good news where you can, but how do you distinguish a locker room spreader event vs. a gameplay spreader event?
I would imagine the after game pizza party vs the game proper would be difficult to distinguish.
I dunno man, but it’s almost as if saying infections only occur during the second period, so let’s just play the first and third.

kind of like saying we'll close bars at 10pm because apparently the virus can tell time

#20805 3 years ago
Quoted from PokerJake:

Coming at this a bit sideways but could you point me towards your news / statistics source that has led you to believe sporting events AREN’T an issue?

#20806 3 years ago
Screenshot_20201216-092833~2 (resized).pngScreenshot_20201216-092833~2 (resized).png
#20807 3 years ago

Not surprising but still. “We want them all infected” Paul Alexander, senior advisor for the HHS assistant secretary for public affairs Michael Caputo.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jemimamcevoy/2020/12/16/we-want-them-all-infected-trump-appointee-repeatedly-pushed-for-herd-immunity-while-at-hhs/?sh=2ce522f47a05

#20808 3 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

It does make some sense that the "mainstream media", so to speak, is super Desperate for attention...

Proverbially using the delete button, unfortunately, is also a part of history.

#20809 3 years ago
Quoted from PokerJake:

Have you posted any statistics? I missed it.

Quoted from Oaken:

Coming at this a bit sideways but could you point me towards your news / statistics source that has led you to believe sporting events AREN’T an issue?

I've spent some time looking, and admittedly this not an area I'm all that dialed in on. I'm curious too. I've found a few opinion pieces that the infections are from teammates meeting or eating together but haven't had luck finding any real data.

#20810 3 years ago

Wrong topic.

#20811 3 years ago
Quoted from GolfKill:

kind of like saying we'll close bars at 10pm because apparently the virus can tell time

So. I understand your point in that it seems like an arbitrary decision to put a 10pm curfew on bars. They have done this in Utah.
I think the point is:
#1 Keep open hours limited
#2 People lose their inhibitions and make poor decisions after drinking for a few hours. I worked as a bouncer in a bar for years. I know from experience.
People are less likely to social distance the drunker they get and the masks ...well wearing them while drinking is already impossible. After 5 or 6 drinks there is no way people don't start flipping them like rubber bands.
Letting bars open at all is a compromise in many instances. I personally think all public social experiences have to be curtailed for the greater good.....but that's my choice.
I will not go ....i tried to go to a "socially distanced" concert about a month ago and it was in word only...I can tell you .

I just hope that light at the end of tunnel isn't Train! I hate that band!!

#20812 3 years ago
Quoted from PokerJake:

I trust statistics. But if the data is not input correctly then you have garbage in and garbage out. Plus, if you don't like the results of your survey, you take another survey. And you keep taking them until you get the numbers you want.

Sort of like publicly traded companies "massaging" their quarterly earnings.

#20813 3 years ago

Given 9/11 has such a fitting memorial for the tragedy of nearly 3k dead and countless injuries, I'm hoping something as significant is constructed for the 3k dead per day to honor those that lost their lives to mismanagement, miscommunication and lies by someone who shall remain nameless

#20814 3 years ago
Quoted from roffels:

So how are teams trying to prevent spread in locker rooms? Do they limit how many people are in it at a time?

It varies from club to club. Where my son plays in MD, there is no league (inter-club) play currently. But they get out on the ice and do scrimmages which is far better than playing hockey on the PS4.

Locker rooms are closed (except each goalie gets a room to themselves). The rest get dressed at home or like mine in the back of the truck. Can only go in the rink 10mins before to lace up the skates. Masks on unless you are on the ice. On the bench they spread them out and there are kids standing outside the bench area. Only 1 parent spectator. Afterwards its gtfo so they can sanitize in between groups.

Some other rinks around us do it slightly different. Non are cavalier about it though.

#20815 3 years ago

My son received the Pfizer shot today in Orlando. He is in Pediatrics. No Issues so far.

I hope to find out next week, about getting one in early Feb. I hope so.

#20816 3 years ago

A quick update...my wife is still showing antibodies for COVID. This is the last test she will take for the year. Just to recap she was exposed on September 10th.

#20817 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

Not surprising but still. “We want them all infected” Paul Alexander, senior advisor for the HHS assistant secretary for public affairs Michael Caputo.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jemimamcevoy/2020/12/16/we-want-them-all-infected-trump-appointee-repeatedly-pushed-for-herd-immunity-while-at-hhs/?sh=2ce522f47a05

Quick back of the napkin why this is so dangerously foolish, simply from a time perspective:

“ If the virus is left to spread at its current rate with no vaccine, it would take 55 months from October 2020 to achieve herd immunity. That means May 2025. Even if I had assumed an R0 of 3, it would still take 48 months to reach herd immunity.

This white-knuckle approach would consist of several years of misery, morbidity, and mortality, not to mention continued economic hardship.”

Over 1 million dead and 4 more years is best case with this method. This. Is. Insanity.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/12/17/calculating-our-way-to-herd-immunity/

#20818 3 years ago
Quoted from seeburg220:

I'm on Day 18 post Covid test positive, about 28 days since I came down with symptoms. Today has been rough. Sore as heck. About every other day or 3rd day, I feel fine. Not today. Guess I'm a long hauler. 2020 go away !

Mine lasted about 10 days. But yes it is a rollercoaster. On the third day in I felt pretty good. Thought I had it licked and mowed the lawn. The next day felt a little tired but raked some leaves. Many of the days after I mostly just sat and watched TV without much ambition or energy. About the 8th day I was totally wiped out and slept most of the day. You keep thinking with some rest tomorrow this will be over but it lingers on for what feels like forever. Then all of sudden it you feel pretty good again for multiple days and know it's behind you.

#20819 3 years ago

Apparently the dose vials were over-filled, resulting in extra doses being available.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/16/health/Covid-Pfizer-vaccine-extra-doses.html

#20820 3 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

Mine lasted about 10 days. But yes it is a rollercoaster. On the third day in I felt pretty good. Thought I had it licked and mowed the lawn. The next day felt a little tired but raked some leaves. Many of the days after I mostly just sat and watched TV without much ambition or energy. About the 8th day I was totally wiped out and slept most of the day. You keep thinking with some rest tomorrow this will be over but it lingers on for what feels like forever. Then all of sudden it you feel pretty good again for multiple days and know it's behind you.

You are brave to post this and I pray you get through this unscathed.

#20821 3 years ago
Quoted from toddsolus:

Letting bars open at all is a compromise in many instances. I personally think all public social experiences have to be curtailed for the greater good.....but that's my choice.

There shouldn't be a compromise. Either it's safe to be open or it's not. The time of day doesn't matter. And it shouldn't come down to anyone's choice. If the bar can't make money then the government needs to provide relief so they aren't motivated to try to force themselves open when it's not safe. Give them mortgage/rent forgiveness.

The problem is half assed lockdowns are worse than no lockdowns at all. Because they do nothing to stop the virus, while making people resentful at the restrictions. And doing them long term is unsustainable. You can't curtail public social experiences forever, as people will have no way to meet and form new families and have children.

A short harsh lockdown coupled with forced rapid testing and quarantining as opposed to a long "kind of" lockdown that relies largely on voluntary compliance and violations of which are treated with the severity of a traffic mistake.

#20822 3 years ago
Quoted from smalltownguy2:

Apparently the dose vials were over-filled, resulting in extra doses being available.

They're not over filled. There's a precise amount in each bottle. The "extra" is simply to provide enough doses based on the variety of needles currently in use. Some needles have more space at the tip than others.
... or so I've been told.

#20823 3 years ago

I watched episode 1 of the remake of The Stand (CBS). Not a bad first episode, in which 99% of the world's population is killed by a man-made influenza-like virus. I'm wondering about the timing, also why a remake so soon after the 1994 series, but it was pretty good. We are very lucky that the Covid mortality rate is only approx 1%...

#20824 3 years ago
Quoted from roffels:

So how are teams trying to prevent spread in locker rooms? Do they limit how many people are in it at a time?

No locker rooms in MA. Show up dressed, put skates, wear masks on ice. Checking and brief contact ok. Tying up the puck on the board gets a whistle after 2-3 seconds

They shut rinks here for two weeks—the state, which is exceptionally cautious, decided most incidents were off ice related. Do I think it’s perfectly safe? No. Dangerous? I think that after the 50,000 youth hockey players in our state have played about 12-15 games with two practices a week, gone to skills classes etc, that there should be more than a couple hundred cases if it was rink related. They’ve limited observers, have contact tracing and have done air flow and exchange studies on most rinks also. You have to try to balance the risk with the damage of not playing. Do I tell my son that he never plays High School hockey again, even though right now the chances of transmission seem low? For now, nope.

#20825 3 years ago
Quoted from smalltownguy2:

Yes the initial instructions were to waste the vial once there were 5 doses left. New instruction is to use as many doses as possible until the vial is empty. That’s from my hospital as of today.

#20826 3 years ago

Official covid action figure:

Screenshot_20201216-093222~2 (resized).pngScreenshot_20201216-093222~2 (resized).png
#20827 3 years ago

“...we found that among U.S. adults ages 25 to 44, from March through the end of July, there were almost 12,000 more deaths than were expected based on historical norms.

In fact, July appears to have been the deadliest month among this age group in modern American history. Over the past 20 years, an average of 11,000 young American adults died each July. This year that number swelled to over 16,000”

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2774445

#20828 3 years ago

Let this sink in. From JAMA.

"The failure of the public and its leaders to take adequate steps to prevent viral transmission has made the nation more vulnerable, allowing COVID-19 to become the leading cause of death in the United States, particularly among those aged 35 years or older."

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2774465?guestAccessKey=d0b5e5b7-a997-49c2-9000-c0f1842ce76c&utm_source=For_The_Media&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=ftm_links&utm_content=tfl&utm_term=121720

#20829 3 years ago
Quoted from seeburg220:

"The failure of the public and its leaders to take adequate steps to prevent viral transmission has made the nation more vulnerable, allowing COVID-19 to become the leading cause of death in the United States, particularly among those aged 35 years or older."

Old habits die hard. I'm sure a lot of those preaching now are the same ones that used to go to work sick, crowd people, feel invincible just because they got a shot, go shopping and cough all over everyone around them and now they expect everyone to change for them. Or blame anybody but themselves for the predicament we are now in. There are a lot of hypocrites in this world and that will never change.

Let's just say, I knew this was coming years ago.

#20830 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Let's just say, I knew this was coming years ago.

WHY DIDN'T YOU WARN US?!??!

#20831 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

WHY DIDN'T YOU WARN US?!??!

If you read through the flu shot thread, I believe I did, perhaps more than once. But, there was so much static there, it might be hard to find.

Well, here is one time anyway.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-you-get-a-sesonal-flu-shot/page/4#post-4256566

I also believe covid-19 might seem like small potatoes compared to one of the next ones.

#20832 3 years ago

So Cal is out is room in the ICU units.

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-12-17/southern-california-out-of-icu-beds-amid-covid-19-surge

But I have also read that there is starting to be a shortage of staff in the hospitals. Doesn't matter how many or few beds you have if there is no one there to work them.

You can stop testing all you want if you don't like those numbers.

Screen Shot 2020-12-18 at 11.37.15 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-12-18 at 11.37.15 AM (resized).png

But people are still dying. In droves now. And that cannot be papered over.

Screen Shot 2020-12-18 at 11.37.27 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-12-18 at 11.37.27 AM (resized).png

#20833 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

So Cal is out is room in the ICU units.

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-12-17/southern-california-out-of-icu-beds-amid-covid-19-surge

But I have also read that there is starting to be a shortage of staff in the hospitals. Doesn't matter how many or few beds you have if there is no one there to work them.

Yes, the daily local news has been quite disturbing over the last couple weeks leading up to this and it can only get worse. I mentioned Newsom saying he had ordered 5000 body bags and dozens of trailers, but that doesn't seem like it will be near enough.

So, in a state that was the first with stay at home orders and with probably the strictest measures in the country, and decent enough weather to keep fresh air going, what did we do wrong? Or was this inevitable no matter what we did? My guess is there are just too many people here now to begin with.

#20835 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

If you read through the flu shot thread, I believe I did, perhaps more than once. But, there was so much static there, it might be hard to find.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-you-get-a-sesonal-flu-shot/page/4#post-4256566
I also believe covid-19 might seem like small potatoes compared to one of the next ones.

Next time could you ballpark it by a couple months so that I don’t nearly run out of tp?

Thanks.

#20836 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I’ve also heard from others that spectate that C-19 is the “little one” compared to other things that might become an issue which may or may not be a virus.

Not meant to scare but it’s just good to be aware of what’s going on around you and be prepared a little.

#20837 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

That's creepy.

#20838 3 years ago

Every now and then, I'm reminded that rock stars can really be ***holes, just like every other ordinary ***hole.

Clapton & Van Morrison can bugger off.

https://variety.com/2020/music/news/van-morrison-eric-clapton-covid-19-1234843728/

#20839 3 years ago

Yeah, local news here has been little else this past week. Ambulances waiting for multiple hours to get into emergency rooms. Counts of everything (new cases, hospitalizations, ICU use, deaths) all at record highs. In fact, for the past week, the only foreign *country* with more new cases than the *state* of California was Brazil.

#20840 3 years ago

Fascinating stuff!

Sounds like my preference for cold showers has some sort of explanation after all!

Also references to cytokine storms, the age old coronavirus, and scientists injected this guy with Ecoli so he could demonstrate stuff and things? ...

I tried the breathing thing. . Wow!

#20841 3 years ago
Quoted from seeburg220:

Every now and then, I'm reminded that rock stars can really be ***holes, just like every other ordinary ***hole.
Clapton & Van Morrison can bugger off.
https://variety.com/2020/music/news/van-morrison-eric-clapton-covid-19-1234843728/

Reading the comments tells the real story.

Just another backward "opinion" piece to propogate the fear narrative. What is wrong with following the WHO advise now then?

#20842 3 years ago

American girl visits another country. Breaks the 14 day quarantine rules with her "I don't have to follow the rules here" attitude . Winds up in prison for 4 months. They have her in GenPop.

I suppose I am sorry---but not too much--- for someone who shows such a lack of respect for another country's rules. Some places just don't fool around. Especially, when it is a little bitty island with nowhere to hide.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/18/us/college-student-prison-cayman-islands/index.html

"When Mack landed, she was given another Covid-19 test, which came back negative and she was told to remain in isolation for two weeks. Instead, she decided to attend her boyfriend's jet ski competition two days later."

Screen Shot 2020-12-19 at 9.32.30 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-12-19 at 9.32.30 AM (resized).png

#20843 3 years ago

Go Vols.

0C9117E4-A62D-4FA8-B2BD-5D3D98C4F12E (resized).jpeg0C9117E4-A62D-4FA8-B2BD-5D3D98C4F12E (resized).jpeg

#20844 3 years ago

We have just had 50 days of no community infections .
Meanwhile in Sydney they have an outbreak .
I hope we shut our borders now , I would rather we act too soon , better than hearing we acted too late .

#20845 3 years ago

My city has decided to defy the outdoor eating restrictions and allow restaurants to open.

I'm not big on that... I'm staying home till after Christmas for the most part.

The vaccines are coming. I can wait a little longer.

I really wanted to go buy something shiny and new. But, I'm an adult. I can do this, we are in the home stretch!

#20846 3 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

That's creepy.

Think so? Thanks! So's this one. I do like to cover all the bases whenever possible. Haha!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-you-get-a-sesonal-flu-shot/page/20#post-5199618

Quoted from EJS:

I’ve also heard from others that spectate that C-19 is the “little one” compared to other things that might become an issue which may or may not be a virus.

Indeed.

#20847 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

American girl visits another country. Breaks the 14 day quarantine rules with her "I don't have to follow the rules here" attitude . Winds up in prison for 4 months. They have her in GenPop.
I suppose I am sorry---but not too much--- for someone who shows such a lack of respect for another country's rules. Some places just don't fool around. Especially, when it is a little bitty island with nowhere to hide.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/18/us/college-student-prison-cayman-islands/index.html
"When Mack landed, she was given another Covid-19 test, which came back negative and she was told to remain in isolation for two weeks. Instead, she decided to attend her boyfriend's jet ski competition two days later."
[quoted image]

I don't disagree, she's a guest, act like it.

I'm wondering why bother with the Covid tests though if everyone needs to quarantine anyway?

#20848 3 years ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

My city has decided to defy the outdoor eating restrictions and allow restaurants to open.
I'm not big on that... I'm staying home till after Christmas for the most part.
The vaccines are coming. I can wait a little longer.
I really wanted to go buy something shiny and new. But, I'm an adult. I can do this, we are in the home stretch!

That is messed up on the restaurants and hits close to home for me. My father and stepmother live in Fullerton and have been barely leaving the house since March. This certainly won't help.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 417 of 576.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread/page/417?hl=pinball_gizzard and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.