272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 408 of 576.
#20350 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

How many people here are still planning on cooking the same Thanksgiving spread...just not inviting anyone over?

I work in grocery, and this is the biggest question we have.

#20351 3 years ago

I suspect this will be the last Thanksgiving a few people will be spending with their family...unfortunately. Miss one or roll the dice on missing them all.

#20352 3 years ago
FB_IMG_1605631865882 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1605631865882 (resized).jpg
#20353 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

You actually considered going or having family over?
For me, it's no turkey, no pie, but most of all no relatives!

I'm pretty excited to not spend Thanksgiving and Christmas with my family. I consider this a perk of lockdown!

#20354 3 years ago

Turns out the kneejerk over reaction restrictions put in place here (planned for 6 days) were based on a lie by a pizza shop worker, so the contagiousness tuns out to be no different. Nobody is in ICU, most cases asymptomatic, 3 treated for symptoms. 25 positive tested known cases total. +30k tests in 3 days. People have gotten it throughout this thing surely, had nil or mild symptoms, never tested. Obviously more than we previously assumed.

Came from the "temporary" hotel quarantine setup (for international travelers etc.). The military helped with setting that up, and protocols, but were withdrawn after 3 months. It should have been replaced with a more appropriate solution months ago, especially given the precedent of it failing in other states. Hotels are wanting to be hotels again, anyway. Temporary quarantine hotels no longer makes sense.

Most severe restrictions have been overturned, starting tomorrow.

Made little difference for me anyway as I'm food services and nothing changed too much, except some pubs and non essentials shut down statewide for no reason.

Droves of extremely pissed business owners though... rightly so. Parents, Schools closed. It's been absolute nonsense.

Still leaves a massive shortage of reason... anyway, at least though the last couple of days has shown we don't seem to go with the same sort of martial law situation in the same way as some other places have had for months on end. That's comforting to see I guess. What we had for 3 days was essentially only the same as our initial lockdown in March, which was "stage 3" (for our system anyway). It's out and we've moved past putting it back now.

Also standing out since this recent "fiasco" is the national medias pretty serious distortion of reality (based on being here lol).

"Media" is basically off the rails.... plenty of BS.

Putting 4000 or so people into quarantine, just in case. Plenty of testing, and rapid methodical contact tracing... this controls the spread. Lockdowns, especially extreme kinds, are only needed if things are already out of control, services overwhelmed. Good to see a reasonably rapid retraction of restrictions.

*Update- There is more contact tracing to do now too (from the pizza worker not disclosing when he would have become contagious), which will mean more end up in isolation with that. More virus positive cases again as well (asymptomatic), from people already in quarantine. Status quo.

#20355 3 years ago

Our gov put his mask back on and imposed 10pm curfews. Not sure about covid, but less people drinking and driving, chasing relatives and traffic sounds like a peaceful holiday season.
Crazy times. Cheers!!
9F3A2EE0-8076-4E18-A267-2F7FA9F7F36F (resized).jpeg9F3A2EE0-8076-4E18-A267-2F7FA9F7F36F (resized).jpeg

#20356 3 years ago

Well, looks like Pittsburgh metro is the first in PA now, to re-issue the "Stay at Home" advisories.
More are on the way here, sadly.

https://www.wgal.com/article/allegheny-county-stay-at-home-stop-gatherings-coronavirus/34727450

"County residents are expected to follow the advisory and if we do, cases will start to drop. If we don’t, cases will continue to increase. If the spread of COVID-19 in Allegheny County continues, I will have no choice but to enact official health orders," (i.e., real enforcement) said the top county health official.

Looks like that very Dark Winter of COVID is officially underway here.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#20357 3 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

Still leaves a massive shortage of reason... anyway, at least the last couple of days has shown we don't seem to go with the same sort of martial law situation in the same way as some other places have had for months on end. That's comforting to know.
Also standing out since this recent "fiasco" is the national medias pretty serious distortion of reality (based on being here lol).
"Media" is basically off the rails.... plenty of BS.

The reason was that they had to try and restrict the outbreak. They didn't know the guy had lied at that stage, so they had no alternative other than to lock things down. That has been shown to be the best approach, for example you may have seen what happened in Victoria who now have 2 weeks of zero cases.
Anyway, I'm not an expert in the field and rely on people that have vast experience in medicine and Phd's in the field. Out of interest, do you? I don't.

Best to rely on people that have expertise in the field, rather than sprouting conjecture and conspiracy theories found on social media.

#20358 3 years ago
Quoted from roffels:

I work in grocery, and this is the biggest question we have.

I was at Sams club in Eagan today. They have a limit on 5 turkeys. Five? How many people would you have to invite to need 5 birds? As a kid I don’t remember having more than 1. Let alone in this covid climate.

#20359 3 years ago
Quoted from twoplays25c:

Well, looks like Pittsburgh metro is the first in PA now, to re-issue the "Stay at Home" advisories.
More are on the way here, sadly.
https://www.wgal.com/article/allegheny-county-stay-at-home-stop-gatherings-coronavirus/34727450
"County residents are expected to follow the advisory and if we do, cases will start to drop. If we don’t, cases will continue to increase. If the spread of COVID-19 in Allegheny County continues, I will have no choice but to enact official health orders," (i.e., real enforcement) said the top county health official.
Looks like that very Dark Winter of COVID is officially underway here.

[quoted image]

63C73249-E784-4F7F-9CEA-433DB6D525C9.jpeg63C73249-E784-4F7F-9CEA-433DB6D525C9.jpeg
#20360 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

The school system in Wichita is rapidly deteriorating. Middle school land high school are doing online learning. The grade schoolers have been going to school. Teachers and staff are failing out with positive tests. And substitute teachers are getting hard to find
https://www.kansas.com/news/local/education/article247227669.html
" There are more absent teachers and paras than there are substitutes. When a school nurse misses work during the surging coronavirus pandemic, the school goes without. And the COVID situation is getting worse."
“Elementary schools have the highest number of staff out, and that’s where we have in person students,” United Teachers of Wichita president Kimberly Howard said in an email. “We should be full remote until the community spread is under control.”
"While a shortage of substitute teachers was predicted by some during the summer, Wichita’s Board of Education president said sick staff would not lead to school closures."
"Staff absenteeism has since become a major factor in reopening decisions."
“People are afraid to sub in today’s world,” Logan said at the Nov. 9 board meeting. “A lot of our substitutes are retired teachers or others, and they think ‘I don’t have to do this. I’m going to stay home and stay safe.’ And so our sub pool has dropped, understandably.”
Read more here: https://www.kansas.com/news/local/education/article247227669.html#storylink=cpy

They made it official yesterday that they are going full distance learning for all levels come Monday.

Prior to they they were trying to shut schools individually. One elementary had nearly a third of its staff sick or in quarantine with no subs available and had to shut abruptly.

State recommended full distance learning if the 2 week average for the community was over 50 cases a day per 10,000. School board waited hoping for a miracle. Yesterday we hit 120 per 10,000.

Just not a tenable position.

#20361 3 years ago

In March, Mineral County, West Virginia was one of the only places to have zero covid cases. Now, we are one of the fastest-rising hotspots in the country. People around here don't wear masks consistently, and they had a Trunk or Treat Halloween celebration that brought people in from neighboring towns despite being warned by health officials of possible danger. Two weeks later, cases started spiking.
The two people who organized the Trunk or Treat work at a nearby nursing home that now has dozens of ill patients and 12 staff members who have tested positive. Seems we had a Halloween "spreader" event in Piedmont.
Our Mayor and Council don't take the pandemic seriously. They don't wear masks at City meetings, which has caused us to stop attending.
Even relatively isolated areas like ours are getting hit with this. It seems to be crisscrossing back and forth across the country. Definitely not time to let our guard down yet.

#20362 3 years ago
Quoted from EJS:

I was at Sams club in Eagan today. They have a limit on 5 turkeys. Five? How many people would you have to invite to need 5 birds? As a kid I don’t remember having more than 1. Let alone in this covid climate.

Haha wow. Some people are concerned about supply chain shortages. My current experience is we won't be seeing many long-term out of stocks of food or supplies, but as this virus gets out of control, we'll have temporary disruptions. IE what happens if the producers' truck drivers are too sick to work? Or the distributors? In our business, someone in our production team got sick. The big question was whether everyone else had to quarantine and how we'd manage without an entire department. It's a mess, but we're coping as best as we can.

#20363 3 years ago

My lady friend had already made the decision that her daughter and son and his girlfriend would not be coming to her house for Thanksgiving. It would be just her and I this year.

Covid cases in Wichita are spiking. The daughter has picked up Covid. Daughter works for local TV station and says many of the TV crew are infected. Not sure if the station can remain on the air.

And my lady friend, who has respiratory issues, informed me last night that I won't be coming around, either. She has banned me from her presence while the Covid is spiking. I'll be spending Thanksgiving around the house, and working on my pins, it looks like.

It is back to the routine when the country was shut down earlier this year. Stay home. Go get groceries. Stay home. Groceries. Home. Groceries. Gas. Home. Groceries.

Also, as time marches on, I find myself watching more and more ads on You Tube and less shows. The ads are getting more frequent and longer. Even the cat videos are getting covered up with ads (sigh).

#20365 3 years ago

Just found this: In PA, just 16% of those contacted regarding contact tracing will tell if they were in a business or at a gathering.
I guess to many, it's just easier to let people get infected and die than to admit you were at Lowes without your mask.
Pretty damn sad.

https://news.yahoo.com/pa-faces-contract-tracing-resistance-125329681.html

#20366 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

How many people here are still planning on cooking the same Thanksgiving spread...just not inviting anyone over?

Me! I will be with my immediate circle (4 people), but it will be no normal Thanksgiving. I am making up care packages of a full turkey dinner and fixins that will be on the curb for my sisters to pick up. But we will not be crossing our circles. No hugs, no nothing. And it sucks. But I'm an adult, and I can handle it.

#20367 3 years ago

Geared to the learning level of the anti-maskers. LOL

#20368 3 years ago

Our schools have all been distanced learning since March and the plan is to keep them that way at least until this coming March. I'm kinda surprised some schools started meeting in person again. That was a nice experiment!

#20369 3 years ago
126199045scream meme nirvana (resized).jpg126199045scream meme nirvana (resized).jpg
#20370 3 years ago
dino nirvana (resized).pngdino nirvana (resized).png
#20371 3 years ago

There is a lot of incomplete info out there, be careful.

1F596522-388A-4553-9A98-299D1DEF9258 (resized).jpeg1F596522-388A-4553-9A98-299D1DEF9258 (resized).jpeg
#20372 3 years ago
Screenshot_20201120-162341~2 (resized).pngScreenshot_20201120-162341~2 (resized).png
#20373 3 years ago

Worldometers shows the US at 200,987 new cases today - it took just 16 days to go from 100K to 200K.

Meanwhile, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) on Thursday issued emergency approval to a drug combo to treat moderate to seriously ill coronavirus patients. The combo, rheumatoid arthritis drug baricitinib plus Gilead's remdesivir, was authorized to treat hospitalized patients 2 years or older requiring oxygen. The FDA said the drugs cut patients’ time to recovery in a National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases-sponsored trial dubbed the Adaptive COVID-19 Treatment Trial (ACTT-2). Among 1,033 coronavirus patients in the trial with at least a moderate course of disease, patients on the drug combo saw seven days to recovery, while the other group (placebo plus remdesivir) took eight days.

“The odds of a patient’s condition progressing to death or being ventilated at day 29 was lower in the baricitinib plus remdesivir group versus the placebo plus remdesivir group,” the FDA wrote in a statement.

But the Pharma/China lapdogs at W.H.O. are attacking Remdesivir. I don't trust WHO, won't until it's purged.

#20374 3 years ago

The data for remdesivir has been contradictory for sure. My take on the study you cited is that it is promoting the other drug it was combo’d with.

I have no issue with it being approved, but I suspect actual clinic usage as a stand alone will fall by the way side.

My reasoning is that it appears to marginally improve outcomes. Better than nothing, but we are quickly advancing to the point that we do indeed have alternate treatments that are Significantly better than nothing.

#20375 3 years ago

The GREAT RESET

#20376 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Also, as time marches on, I find myself watching more and more ads on You Tube and less shows. The ads are getting more frequent and longer. Even the cat videos are getting covered up with ads (sigh).

ublock origin. you're welcome.

#20377 3 years ago

Any of of you cats receive a text about staying home for Thanksgiving?. It came across similair to a weather related watch/warning.

#20378 3 years ago

A grim assessment. Nothing new really, but the info is consolidated and is mostly from the perspective of people who work in the top infectious disease hospital in the nation.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/11/americas-best-prepared-hospital-nearly-overwhelmed/617156/

Edit: the following is an excerpt specifically on hospital bed capacity which has been a theme I have been hitting recently:

“ Officially, Nebraska has 4,223 hospital beds, of which 1,165—27 percent—are still available. But that figure is deceptive. It includes beds for labor and deliveries, as well as pediatric beds that cannot be repurposed. It also says nothing about how stretched hospitals have already become in their efforts to create capacity. UNMC has postponed elective surgeries—those which could be deferred for four to 12 weeks. Patients with strokes and other urgent traumas aren’t getting the normal level of attention, because the pandemic is so all-consuming. Clinical research has stopped because research nurses are now COVID-19 nurses. The hospital is forced to turn down many requests to take in patients from rural hospitals and neighboring states that are themselves almost out of beds.

Empty hospital beds might as well be hotel beds without doctors and nurses to staff them. ”

#20379 3 years ago

“I’ll be home for Christmas” will be the most popular holiday song this year I think.

Followed by someone’s remix of “Baby it’s COVID outside”.

#20380 3 years ago

We are off the rails...

" Hospital CEO says he had Covid and doesn't need a mask. His staff are appalled."

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/20/health/covid-mask-sanford-health-ceo/index.html

" The CEO and President of South Dakota-based Sanford Health, one of the largest health systems in the U.S., says he will not be wearing a mask because he has already had Covid-19.

Hospital staff are appalled.
In an email sent Wednesday, which CNN obtained from a nurse at a Sanford Health hospital, CEO and President Kelby Krabbenhoft addressed the health system's 50,000 employees, explaining his decision.
"I contracted the virus, felt the uncertainty that accompanied the word 'positive'," he wrote.
"Experienced the lagging coughs and fatigue... but I'm back in my office," he added.
And he will be maskless."

It is South Dakota. The home of the Sturgis Motorcycle rally.

Governor is Kristi Noem. Why am I not surprised.

"This Republican governor is playing politics while Covid-19 burns through her state"

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/16/politics/kristi-noem-south-dakota-covid-19/index.html

"Yes, amid a rapidly declining situation in South Dakota, Noem is making sure people know that if President-elect Joe Biden moves to institute a national mask mandate, she won't comply. Way to stay focused on what matters! "

#20381 3 years ago

The above post is what I am hearing from our local hospitals as well. They are nearing 90% occupancy but the problem is staffing. There are not enough nurses to staff patients in every bed.

Things are about to get real in North Texas.

Of course there were multiple people at the high school football game last night without masks or with the chinstrap look going despite the fact that masking is "mandatory" in the stadium. I really think it's going to take a major disaster for these idiots to figure it out.

#20382 3 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

The above post is what I am hearing from our local hospitals as well. They are nearing 90% occupancy but the problem is staffing. There are not enough nurses to staff patients in every bed.
Things are about to get real in North Texas.
Of course there were multiple people at the high school football game last night without masks or with the chinstrap look going despite the fact that masking is "mandatory" in the stadium. I really think it's going to take a major disaster for these idiots to figure it out.

It’s already a major disaster and the idiots haven’t figured it out.

#20383 3 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

with the chinstrap look going

That is called a chin diaper

#20384 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:My lady friend had already made the decision that her daughter and son and his girlfriend would not be coming to her house for Thanksgiving. It would be just her and I this year.
Covid cases in Wichita are spiking. The daughter has picked up Covid. Daughter works for local TV station and says many of the TV crew are infected. Not sure if the station can remain on the air.
And my lady friend, who has respiratory issues, informed me last night that I won't be coming around, either. She has banned me from her presence while the Covid is spiking. I'll be spending Thanksgiving around the house, and working on my pins, it looks like.
It is back to the routine when the country was shut down earlier this year. Stay home. Go get groceries. Stay home. Groceries. Home. Groceries. Gas. Home. Groceries.

Quoted from GolfKill:

ublock origin. you're welcome.

Why, thank you for an answer that has me chasing for my book of cryptic messages. Nothing in there about "unblock origin". And as much as I hate to admit that I don't know all that much about computers, you got me red handed. I don't know what you are talking about. I guess I'll have to keep watching the ads. Bummer.

#20385 3 years ago

Just as a different point of view...

I would like to thank covid for giving me an excuse so I dont have to pretend I give a shit about "the holidays" this year.

F- you Santa

#20386 3 years ago

Ok.... I have heard this on and off again over the last few months. Explain this concept to me. Who is getting "reset" and who does it benefit? Obviously the pandemic has benefitted online based economies but other than that what am I missing here? Online commerce was already taking over physical ,brick and mortar retail...ao why the need to kill grandma to expedite?
Isn't this just more conspiracy clap-trap?

#20387 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Why, thank you for an answer that has me chasing for my book of cryptic messages. Nothing in there about "unblock origin". And as much as I hate to admit that I don't know all that much about computers, you got me red handed. I don't know what you are talking about. I guess I'll have to keep watching the ads. Bummer.

Not unblock. Ublock.

https://ublockorigin.com/

#20388 3 years ago
NewCovidMaskAlternatives (resized).jpgNewCovidMaskAlternatives (resized).jpg
#20389 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

This might help.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/adblock-for-youtube/cmedhionkhpnakcndndgjdbohmhepckk?hl=en

#20390 3 years ago

I combined today's NY Times maps of WV and MD to show our local spike in cases. West Virginia is on the left, and Maryland to the right. I exaggerated the separation between the states so you can see how they "interlock".
The little black star in the center of the page shows where we live, right on the border - there were few cases around here to speak of until recently, and now it's hitting this area hard. Seems like it really took off after Halloween.
We've been staying holed up in our old buildings and working on our umpteen-million household projects. If we go grocery shopping before 10AM, there's no one in the stores and it feels relatively safe. But we're not going out otherwise.
2020-11-22MarylandCOVIDNYTimesMoreSeparation (resized).jpg2020-11-22MarylandCOVIDNYTimesMoreSeparation (resized).jpg

#20391 3 years ago

Ok. I see now. Thanks. But how about when I am watching You Tube on my big screen TV?

#20392 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Ok. I see now. Thanks. But how about when I am watching You Tube on my big screen TV?

You can get premium access that disables ads: https://www.youtube.com/red

#20393 3 years ago
Quoted from DCP:

I combined today's NY Times maps of WV and MD to show our local spike in cases. West Virginia is on the left, and Maryland to the right. I exaggerated the separation between the states so you can see how they "interlock".
The little black star in the center of the page shows where we live, right on the border - there were few cases around here to speak of until recently, and now it's hitting this area hard. Seems like it really took off after Halloween.
We've been staying holed up in our old buildings and working on our umpteen-million household projects. If we go grocery shopping before 10AM, there's no one in the stores and it feels relatively safe. But we're not going out otherwise.
[quoted image]

Ditto here in PA ... as worse as ever. Back in Spring we got freaked out with 1,200 new cases a day. Lately we've been running 6,000+/- every day for the last week. We may have ICU beds still available, but we're losing the gallant health care workers on the front lines to tend to the ill.

Same data, NYT –

TOTAL REPORTED
Cases 313,788
On Nov. 21: 5,874
14 DAY CHANGE: +117%

Deaths 9,901
On Nov. 21: 114
14 DAY CHANGE: +147%

Hospitalized 3,294
14-DAY CHANGE: +92%

#20394 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

You want network wide ad blocking. See Pi-Hole...

#20395 3 years ago

3rd vaccine looking good. Uses a more traditional approach. Much cheaper to make, much easier to store (just takes a standard fridge).

Not as effective per patient, but achieved the same community goal.

I am MUCH more comfortable with this type of vaccine vs the modified rna type.

https://apnews.com/article/astrazeneca-vaccine-third-cheaper-oxford-c99d26eb2946f6fde45a1edc002ff028

#20396 3 years ago

60 minutes did A story yesterday about lingering affects, and found small blood clots in major organs in young as well as asymptomatic people. Brain fog was a huge issue.
Indeed, small numbers by percentages, but still very unknown long term effects,
and real people.

Covered in other weekend news was the utter failure of herd immunity in Sweden,
and how they are now addressing it.

#20397 3 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

60 minutes did A story yesterday about lingering affects, and found small blood clots in major organs in young as well as asymptomatic people. Brain fog was a huge issue.
Indeed, small numbers by percentages, but still very unknown long term effects,
and real people.
Covered in other weekend news was the utter failure of herd immunity in Sweden,
and how they are now addressing it.

The doctor showing the brain tissue samples died of a heart attack this week. Sure makes you wonder...

#20398 3 years ago

Pandemic spacing with Pacman!

Screenshot_20201120-162243~3 (resized).pngScreenshot_20201120-162243~3 (resized).png
#20399 3 years ago

2020 sure has been and still is, a shit show. My wife and I ventured to Texas for cancer treatment for her. We've been here 6 weeks, living in a motorhome. We don't see anybody. We don't talk to anybody. We wear masks EVERYWHERE except inside the rv. We use hand sanitizer like it's oxygen. Yet, last week, we both came down with covid. My wife got tested, and it was positive. I did not get tested. I have the exact same symptoms as her: low grade fever, aches, tired, diahrea, headache, dry cough. Classic symptoms. Yesterday, my wife started doing worse, so now she's in a hospital.
I'm isolated in an RV and staying put for the next 2 to 3 weeks. I plan on getting tested after I feel better. I don't want to give this to anybody, no matter how remote.

I am posting this, as proof-positive, that people who have taken this seriously since it started, can still get this mother. I'm in fairly good health, and God willing, will recover with no issues. My wife is not, though, and that scares the crap out of me. She's been battling cancer for four, non-stop years...and now this. My advice: don't listen to the nit wits or any of the nay-sayers. This thing is incredibly contagious. We still don't know how we were infected. I'm convinced it was from surface contact, as we just haven't been near anyone, except for the drive-thru girl/guy and we always wore our masks. Peace out - Mark

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 408 of 576.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread/page/408?hl=pinball_gizzard and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.