272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 407 of 576.
#20300 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

For months I have been wanting to go to the old newspapers (on film) section and look back into the 1918 papers and see how those people were actually living with the 1918 virus. No dice. Nobody goes in. Bummer.

Plenty of online sources if you want to read the newspapers from back then. Many similarities to how this pandemic has unfolded. Businesses and schools closed. Wear masks etc..

Those communities that chose to isolate seemed to fare better than those that didn't. The biggest mystery as is today, is when if ever it would end.

#20301 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Let me just say I am glad you made it through it. I was going to message you and see how you were doing.

Thanks man. Of course the experience seems to be so different for everyone. That's the scary part of this. For me personally, I have definitely felt worse before with the flu or even a hangover. That said the fatigue really kicked my ass. Never had anything linger like this before. I kept expecting to feel better after a good nights sleep but it never happened. 10 days of feeling achy and rundown really takes a toll on you mentally.

#20303 3 years ago

Layers of swiss cheese to show defense in depth...now I'm munchie for cheese.

swiss-cheese-pandemic (resized).jpgswiss-cheese-pandemic (resized).jpg
#20304 3 years ago
Quoted from smalltownguy2:

The vaccines that are nearing completion from Pfizer and Moderna are administered in two doses - the first dose causes your body to being producing antibodies - the 2nd dose is administered weeks later and has the effect of alerting your body that it may still be under attack, so it produces more antibodies, and for a much longer period of time.
The effect here is that enough people will have natural immunity or have been inoculated. Once the virus cannot spread to any more hosts, it begins to fade away.
It will never go away though. There will always be a presence somewhere on the planet. We're just trying to speed along herd immunity with a vaccine, that's all.

It seems people are confused about antibodies disappearing from the blood and immunity. That is the normal process the body uses for occasional pathogens. If antibodies are produced at a high enough level, enough memory B and T cells have been created- those are what is required for long term immunity. But, when antibodies are not actively circulating- people might be able to spread the virus. They will respond quickly and not get sick- immune- but might be able to spread. Boosters will probably be to keep everybody circulating because we can’t all vaccinate at once.

Italy found several blood samples with coronavirus from October!! Probably will be corrected, but seems right since we had several crazy pneumonia cases around here late last year.

#20305 3 years ago

@razorsedge
Lol , it's happening in Reverse now , reports on the radio this morning of a mass exodus of caravans heading over here .

#20306 3 years ago

Regions hospital morgue near capacity, struggling to get funeral homes to take bodies.

And the recent infection spike hasn’t even hit the hospital stream yet.

Meanwhile ND has worst mortality rate in the world again today with SD and WI close behind.

C89F6D20-6243-452D-809A-89843B476237 (resized).jpegC89F6D20-6243-452D-809A-89843B476237 (resized).jpeg
#20307 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

While my county commissioners and city officials waffle on how to prioritize the economy vs. Covid, the city library is taking no chances. Would you like a book? You put it writing and a library employee will go get it and bring it to you. Forget going inside and sitting down and reading the paper or magazine. Oh, and masks are required before you step into the lobby. The library is NFA.
For months I have been wanting to go to the old newspapers (on film) section and look back into the 1918 papers and see how those people were actually living with the 1918 virus. No dice. Nobody goes in. Bummer.
It is like comparing, on a historical basis, what we read and see about WW II. But when you go look at old newspapers of the era you get a different viewpoint because what was going to happen tomorrow was just as unknown to them as it is to us today.
With the 1918 pandemic, we have the benefit of hind sight and know it lasted 3 years and that the 2nd wave was the worst. And we are using that 100 year old data in trying to extrapolate what is in front of us; Sort of like today's generals fighting the last war.
But we don't know what tomorrow brings. Maybe the vaccine will work; Maybe it won't; This time, it could last 5 years. No one knows what is around the corner, but everybody knows what happens when the money quits circulating.

I work in libraries and we are just doing curbside pick up. You could inquire about getting scans from the old newspapers on microfilm from your local library, some libraries are offering those types of services. Also some newspaper archives are available online, I'd try sending your local library an email and chat about your options with a librarian. If they have a subscription to Access World News I know it has my local newspapers back to the late 1800s, I'm sure it's got similar scans of other large city papers. I did a quick search and found a ton of hits on Access World News from 1918 and 1919 for Spanish flu, including this gem from The Seattle PI on October 7, 1918 where they thought cigar smoke would prevent them from getting flu germs:

Spanish flu (resized).pngSpanish flu (resized).png
#20309 3 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

[quoted image]

This is not the way it goes to anyone in Israel, by the seems.

Just saying...

#20310 3 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

Gotta get me some of them red pills
[quoted image]

Lol you're on some "red pills". ?

#20312 3 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

On the SA thing, I never said SA was free of corruption. Chances are that cluster wasn't by accident, either...

I'm confused, not sure how this relates to my post on covid mutations??

#20313 3 years ago
Quoted from Trogdor:

It seems people are confused about antibodies disappearing from the blood and immunity. That is the normal process the body uses for occasional pathogens. If antibodies are produced at a high enough level, enough memory B and T cells have been created- those are what is required for long term immunity. But, when antibodies are not actively circulating- people might be able to spread the virus. They will respond quickly and not get sick- immune- but might be able to spread. Boosters will probably be to keep everybody circulating because we can’t all vaccinate at once.
Italy found several blood samples with coronavirus from October!! Probably will be corrected, but seems right since we had several crazy pneumonia cases around here late last year.

This is correct. You don't have to have circulating antibodies to have immunity. T cell immunity is another way your body can respond to a virus months later.

We don't know how long T cell immunity will last after these vaccines, it hasn't been long enough to know yet.

There was a study about a month ago that looked at T cell immunity in patients who had COVID-19 and recovered and they showed T cell immunity at 6 months so that's at least hopeful.

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/27/1/20-3772_article

#20317 3 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

I'm confused, not sure how this relates to my post on covid mutations??

The last line you picked out there, it doesn't sorry. Just the first parts.

I didnt go back to post-quote the other general theme from some of the mainstream faithful parrots. It was general, about the dubious circumstances around this so called quarantine "mistake". lol

#20318 3 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

There was a study about a month ago that looked at T cell immunity in patients who had COVID-19 and recovered and they showed T cell immunity at 6 months so that's at least hopeful.
https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/27/1/20-3772_article

Why can't that type of testing be done widespread? Cost? There's got to be millions of people out there that contracted this virus in Feb/Mar/Apr who are not testing positive for antibodies in their blood now, myself included. I've donated blood (September) and been tested due to close-contact exposure twice (Oct) and all have come back negative. It would be nice to know if there's any immunity at all at this point.

In other news, my two sisters, my brother-in-law, my father have all tested positive recently. All appear to have mild symptoms, and have recovered. My father is type-2 diabetic, and my brother-in-law has alopecia, so naturally we are concerned there.

#20319 3 years ago

Why can't that type of testing be done widespread? Cost? There's got to be millions of people out there that contracted this virus in Feb/Mar/Apr who are not testing positive for antibodies in their blood now, myself included. I've donated blood (September) and been tested due to close-contact exposure twice (Oct) and all have come back negative. It would be nice to know if there's any immunity at all at this point.
In other news, my two sisters, my brother-in-law, my father have all tested positive recently. All appear to have mild symptoms, and have recovered. My father is type-2 diabetic, and my brother-in-law has alopecia, so naturally we are concerned there.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/10/health/covid-new-test-t-cells/index.html

#20320 3 years ago

Pfizer has completed Phase 3. They have bumped the efficacy up to 95% (in line with Moderna) and added some safety and test subject composition data

Very promising.

Now it’s time for all those with logistics degrees to earn their Nobel prizes.

https://www.pfizer.com/news/press-release/press-release-detail/pfizer-and-biontech-conclude-phase-3-study-covid-19-vaccine

#20321 3 years ago

Community spread is forcing essential workers into quarantine and leading to staffing shortages. Very problematic in hospital systems right now seeing as they need more staff than normal not less.

I suspect this is a real problem for healthcare (and school, etc) across the USA. It certainly is in my neck of the woods. Our schools are shutting down due to community spread taking out support staff.

https://www.twincities.com/2020/11/17/over-900-mayo-staff-have-gotten-covid-19-in-past-two-weeks/amp/

#20322 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

Community spread is forcing essential workers into quarantine and leading to staffing shortages. Very problematic in hospital systems right now seeing as they need more staff than normal not less.
I suspect this is a real problem for healthcare (and school, etc) across the USA. It certainly is in my neck of the woods. Our schools are shutting down due to community spread taking out support staff.
https://www.twincities.com/2020/11/17/over-900-mayo-staff-have-gotten-covid-19-in-past-two-weeks/amp/

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-el-paso-hospital-nurse-lawanna-rivers-video-2020-11

"A nurse at a strained El Paso hospital says the sickest COVID-19 patients are put in a doctor-less room called 'the pit' where they are given 3 chances to be revived before workers let them die"

Sounds like triage medicine will be here shortly and people will be dying in the hospital hallways.

#20323 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

Our local school district was on the news last night, the busses are going to be late for a lot of kids because so many of the drivers are out with covid or in quarantine.

#20324 3 years ago

"Ohio wedding linked to at least 32 coronavirus cases: 'Nobody's wearing a mask'"

https://www.foxnews.com/us/at-least-32-coronavirus-cases-linked-to-ohio-wedding-nobodys-wearing-a-mask

“I didn't think that almost half of our wedding guests were gonna get sick. You're in the moment. You're having fun. You don't think about COVID anymore."
-------

The above sentence can be truncated to: " I didn't think..."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"She said they offered masks to their guests but hardly anyone wore them."

"She said she thinks dancing may have been a factor in spreading the virus. "That's what was maybe the super spreader is the dance floor," Mikayla Bishop said. "Everybody's in each other's face and there's no masks."
---

Pathetic.

#20326 3 years ago

If you unstaple a mask and microwave it. Does that work ?

#20327 3 years ago
Quoted from Trogdor:

What if the mutations outrun the booster shots ?? Will the vaccine help the long haulers?

#20328 3 years ago

Just to point out, your body does not produce antibodies to any virus indefinitely. When the B cells in your blood begin to produce antibody against a virus some of them become memory B cells and go dormant. The others become plasma B cells and begin putting out antibodies. Once the infection is cleared the plasma cells go away but the memory B cells hang around dormant waiting for that same virus to pop up again. If it does they can start dividing and making more plasma cells that again put out more antibody. Usually this happens fast enough that you don’t notice you are sick or maybe just have mild symptoms for a couple days.

So, not having circulating antibodies many months after infection does not necessarily mean you don’t have immunity.

#20329 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

Yes that was the concern here as well - almost all of our hospital personal protective equipment (PPE) was imported so there were initial shortages due to the demand, this combined with health workers getting infected and forcing others they'd come into contact with into quarantine put a strain on our medical system. Fortunately local companies were able to start manufacturing PPE to meet the demand and our lockdowns were able to limit the spread, such that our medical system while stretched was able to keep going.

The front line medical workers around the world need to be applauded for what they do day in, day out!!

Stay safe and stay well

#20330 3 years ago

How do people sort through this kind of thing exactly?...

Information wars they say ...

#20331 3 years ago

Schools close in NYC, but the bars stay open. My kind of city!

#20332 3 years ago

This is a pretty well done video that discusses the mRNA vaccines currently being talked about and the pluses and minuses of these vaccines.

Warning, there is science and objective opinion at the end of this link. Click at your own risk!!!

https://www.emrap.org/hd/playlist/latest/chapter/themrnavaccine/themrnavaccine

#20333 3 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

This is a pretty well done video that discusses the mRNA vaccines currently being talked about and the pluses and minuses of these vaccines.
Warning, there is science and objective opinion at the end of this link. Click at your own risk!!!
https://www.emrap.org/hd/playlist/latest/chapter/themrnavaccine/themrnavaccine

That’s a good quick video. Personally I think the Pfizer vaccine will be difficult to transport. Plus without knowing if these vaccines have long term effects, and wether it just reduces symptoms or if it reduces serious cases, or if it prevents death. It’s too early to know all these answers.

I liked this video. It’s 2hours long so strap in. Joe rogan talks with Nikolas christakis, He is the Sterling Professor of Social and Natural Science at Yale University, where he directs the Human Nature Lab. He is also the Co-Director of the Yale Institute for Network Science

#20334 3 years ago

My wife and I were debating for a few weeks on what to do for Thanksgiving/Christmas and visiting her parents. They live about 3 hours from us in Johnstown, PA and are in their late 70's. My in-laws already said no big Thanksgiving this year so it would be the 4 of us. My wife was thinking of getting Covid tests done before this weekend. I reminded her that I'm still working until Tuesday which would make getting the test before useless. Even if we got a test and stayed home until Thanksgiving wouldn't guarantee were not sick and not showing symptoms. So, my wife and mother in law decided its just best not to take a chance for TG/Xmas.

Its going to be a tough holiday season with people making decisions and the outcomes of them. The infections were seeing now are probably from October weddings, Halloween parties, and all the mass gatherings related to protests/celebrations from the elections. Now the holidays - Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years one right after the other. January 2021 is probably going to be grim.

#20335 3 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

My wife and I were debating for a few weeks on what to do for Thanksgiving/Christmas and visiting her parents. They live about 3 hours from us in Johnstown, PA and are in their late 70's. My in-laws already said no big Thanksgiving this year so it would be the 4 of us. My wife was thinking of getting Covid tests done before this weekend. I reminded her that I'm still working until Tuesday which would make getting the test before useless. Even if we got a test and stayed home until Thanksgiving wouldn't guarantee were not sick and not showing symptoms. So, my wife and mother in law decided its just best not to take a chance for TG/Xmas.
Its going to be a tough holiday season with people making decisions and the outcomes of them. The infections were seeing now are probably from October weddings, Halloween parties, and all the mass gatherings related to protests/celebrations from the elections. Now the holidays - Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years one right after the other. January 2021 is probably going to be grim.

Yeah, this is going to be a tough season. My in-laws were coming for thanksgiving but we all decided not to take the risk with the numbers rising. Especially tough for my wife because she hasn't seen her parents since this past christmas.

#20336 3 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

How do people sort through this kind of thing exactly?...
Information wars they say ...

By acknowledging things for what they are. I sat through that video and they don't even acknowledge there's a virus, only that they feel controlled and stoking fear that this will lead to another holocaust. Here's the thing, many of us wearing masks or not getting together with our family is because we want to protect them or ourselves, and would be doing this independent of government regulation or laws.

it's a unicorn (resized).jpgit's a unicorn (resized).jpg
#20337 3 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

My wife and I were debating for a few weeks on what to do for Thanksgiving/Christmas and visiting her parents. They live about 3 hours from us in Johnstown, PA and are in their late 70's.

You actually considered going or having family over?

For me, it's no turkey, no pie, but most of all no relatives!

#20339 3 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

Not sure if you are trolling me since it sounds like you were considering/talking with family also about the holidays.

Nope, no trolling. I knew from the get go I wasn't going to gather with people just because it was a holiday. Never even considered it. I haven't looked for any reasons or excuses to temporarily ignore the fact that there is a pandemic going on. Doing my thing and doing my part is good enough for me.

IMO, It's a joke how they are telling people how to do these gatherings safely.

#20340 3 years ago

How many people here are still planning on cooking the same Thanksgiving spread...just not inviting anyone over?

#20341 3 years ago

For me zero anyone. So bummed out don't even want to put up the tree. Probably buy a small real one and decorate it with our favorite ornaments

#20342 3 years ago

For some people, its going to be a lot different getting drunk at home and arguing with themselves this year instead of getting drunk and arguing with in-laws.

Around here, Thanksgiving is one thing...but the opening day for rifle season for deer is Saturday the 28th. This is a big enough deal in the rural areas that they usually have off school a couple days into the following week. There will be gaggles of COVID-denying old dudes heading to their cramped "camps" in the mountains with all their buddies for upwards of a week together. Many traveling from high infection areas to areas with less infection. This is going to be a 1-2 punch of stupidity next week. I've heard many folks around here say "i'll be damned if I am not having Thanksgiving with my family this year!!". This is going to be rough ride for many into January.

#20343 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

How many people here are still planning on cooking the same Thanksgiving spread...just not inviting anyone over?

This is our plan. We will do a Thanksgiving dinner for our family and do a zoom call to grandparents and such to talk.

It sucks but it’s just not worth the risk to our parents.

#20344 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

Might do a game hen. Last thing I want is some big old turkey carcass sitting in my fridge for a week.

Truth is, this Thanksgiving won't be much different than normal. Any excuse not to see the relatives is good enough for me.

#20345 3 years ago

My whole family had it so it's Thanksgiving as usual for us. There is an uspide to getting it I guess? Thanksgiving is my favorite Holiday. It's like Christmas without the presents.

#20346 3 years ago

The leftovers will be legion. Now to figure out how to convince my children that they actually do like cranberry sauce...and turkey...and stuffing

#20347 3 years ago

The school system in Wichita is rapidly deteriorating. Middle school land high school are doing online learning. The grade schoolers have been going to school. Teachers and staff are failing out with positive tests. And substitute teachers are getting hard to find

https://www.kansas.com/news/local/education/article247227669.html

" There are more absent teachers and paras than there are substitutes. When a school nurse misses work during the surging coronavirus pandemic, the school goes without. And the COVID situation is getting worse."

“Elementary schools have the highest number of staff out, and that’s where we have in person students,” United Teachers of Wichita president Kimberly Howard said in an email. “We should be full remote until the community spread is under control.”

"While a shortage of substitute teachers was predicted by some during the summer, Wichita’s Board of Education president said sick staff would not lead to school closures."

"Staff absenteeism has since become a major factor in reopening decisions."

“People are afraid to sub in today’s world,” Logan said at the Nov. 9 board meeting. “A lot of our substitutes are retired teachers or others, and they think ‘I don’t have to do this. I’m going to stay home and stay safe.’ And so our sub pool has dropped, understandably.”

Read more here: https://www.kansas.com/news/local/education/article247227669.html#storylink=cpy

#20348 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

but most of all no relatives!

For those who hate their in laws will be looking on the bright side for thanksgiving this year.

#20349 3 years ago

Well, we're off and running now ... we may not make it until a vaccine, with the thinking here in PA.

7,126 new COVID-19 cases in the state in the last day alone. 7,126.
Thanks mostly to the MF'ing MF'rs who think that wearing a mask is some sort of Communist or Democratic plot.
Tuesday's state Health Dept. presser (back when new daily cases were "just" 5,900), they noted that if numbers don't fall, more stringent restrictions will be necessary. I take that as lockdown/shutdown, deja vu. It's time to get out the new mods and the playfield wax (we're already stocked up on the TP).

https://www.abc27.com/news/health/coronavirus/coronavirus-pennsylvania/coronavirus-in-pennsylvania-7126-new-cases-288978-total-as-of-nov-19-2020/

Meantime, here are some area resident's Facebook comments to our Governor Wolf, on the new restrictions which even ask for mask-wearing inside the home when space is occupied over time by more than one family:

"Wolfe, my response is brought to you today by the letters F and O."

"When he pays my mortgage and utility bills then he can tell me what I can and can't do in MY house. Until then he can kiss my ass"

"I wish Wolf himself would try to make me."

"There’s no way in hell I’m wearing a mask on my own house I pay my own taxes fir and mortgage. We are in a communist. Country yet until that happens I’ll do as I please so. Buzz off you Harrisburg creeps."

"But if masks slow the spread, why are we spiking? Can’t have it both ways? (Apparently she can, I guess) Get the eff outta here with this bullshit “guideline”. I wear my mask at work. I wear it in stores. I’ll be god damned if I’m wearing it in my own home."

"I call bullshit"

"The government has absolutely NO PLACE to tell people they are to wear masks in their own home. Whatever Americans do in their own homes is their own business. Where are we? Communist Russia or China??"

"And yes you can kiss my ass ! The hell with your masks if they supposedly worked why in the hell did the numbers keep going up?"

"Go to work or quit, your fired - PA has had enough of your bullshit"

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 407 of 576.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread/page/407?hl=pinball_gizzard and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.