272092025_10161451704608222_4175774496727537906_n (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20220117_093350 (resized).jpg
EB99D3B1-C5E6-474E-909E-262D884FFCE7.jpeg
634ACBD7-B6FA-4A4E-A30A-348FA83A88C2.jpeg
BD45F1EA-3EDF-49A3-96FD-CFDEEB8E5EF8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

161 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 406 of 576.
#20250 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

As I have read it, though, the timeframe for the second shot is very tight - like a 36 hour window or something crazy. Miss that 2nd shot window and you have to start over. Seems prone to user error/compliance problems.

Yep agree 36 hour window sounds tight/prescriptive. If you wait too long after the first shot, the body will treat the new vaccination not as a continuation (ie you won't get the long term protection) and the down side of doing it too early is that you may need a 3rd vaccination to get the body to believe it is under a continual attack and maintain the antibodies. Given the quantities of vaccine needed, they don't want to have to do 3 vaccinations per person and so are pushing the window for the 2nd vaccination out to it's limit to reach the required period of the time the body is continually producing antibodies to create the long term protection - the downside of this is that the window to receive the 2nd treatment is much narrower.

#20251 3 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Well...now you can show us how it's done.

Quoted from peely:

lol.
oh the irony...

Ain't that the truth .

#20252 3 years ago

South Australia has totally ruined Australia's 8 days straight of 0 local infections .
With their incompetence to be able to do Hotel quarantine , they have a fresh wave which is growing rapidly .
After Victoria's Hotel quarantine failure , you would have thought they would have learnt some lessons - but no .
No police or army guarding the hotels , you've got to be joking .
Because of their know-it-all attitude and smugness , they have put everyone in jeopardy and are holding the Country Back .
So now they are back too harsh restrictions and states are closing their borders to them .
I Wish them all the best but with their ineptness to follow Simple Rules , I hope we close our boarder to them soon as possible .

IMG_20201116_221711 (resized).jpgIMG_20201116_221711 (resized).jpg

#20253 3 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

This virus is the least of problems right now... waaay scarier stuff going on.

Quoted from cottonm4:

Really? Such as?

Quoted from razorsedge:

First of all, cudos on actually asking an inquisitive question!... assuming it wasn't a rhetorical one.
Take a bit better look around is all I can really suggest here though, sorry. Try varying information sources a little bit more and taking in, processing, broader information. Selecting information sources you already agree with will not leave you fully or accurately informed. It simply takes some reason, I don't think one has to really even look all that hard... just stop being force fed. Time consuming though of course, to search through so much Rubbish! . Maybe explains why most don't seem to do it.
To more and more people these kinds of things (corruption/lies) just become the obvious elephant in the room, bewildered that so many just ignore the bleeding obvious, instead of seeing and noticing things that aren't right or do not add up at all.
I understand it is hard when in some parts of the world available information is dubiously Filtered, and plenty is actually completely unavailable, to some. Still plenty there to be found if people bother to look a little deeper. Do some work, if you Really want to know what is going on.
I can't do your research for you, nor talk about some topics in here.
It is up to the individuals Responsibility to ensure they are not blindly believing any old fabricated stories spread about to the masses.
Some of the obscured realities really are much scarier than any virus. It is totally understandable that anyone would not want to accept some of them. To the point of being unreasonable.
I digress...

You digress? You made a position statement about "way scarier stuff going on." I want to know what you are referring to. And this is your long winded answer that dances around in obfuscation in an effort to do anything but answer my question. You should consider a career in politics

#20254 3 years ago

This is concerning. Hopefully most will reconsider given the current exponential growth in cases:

“ The survey, conducted by researchers at Ohio State University's Wexner Medical Center between October 29 and November 2, collected responses from roughly 2,000 U.S. adults. It found that 38 percent of them intend to host or attend a Thanksgiving gathering where more than 10 close family members are present. Additional survey results showed 33 percent of participants do not plan to ask those attending their holiday events to wear face masks, and 27 percent do not plan to practice social distancing before and after Thanksgiving dinner.”

https://www.newsweek.com/thanksgiving-33-us-wont-require-masks-38-will-host-attend-gathering-10-plus-poll-1547596?amp=1

#20255 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

This is concerning. Hopefully most will reconsider given the current exponential growth in cases:
“ The survey, conducted by researchers at Ohio State University's Wexner Medical Center between October 29 and November 2, collected responses from roughly 2,000 U.S. adults. It found that 38 percent of them intend to host or attend a Thanksgiving gathering where more than 10 close family members are present. Additional survey results showed 33 percent of participants do not plan to ask those attending their holiday events to wear face masks, and 27 percent do not plan to practice social distancing before and after Thanksgiving dinner.”
https://www.newsweek.com/thanksgiving-33-us-wont-require-masks-38-will-host-attend-gathering-10-plus-poll-1547596?amp=1

Is this virus capable of mutating to render the 1st vaccine useless? Just can't stop thinking of that. Do we have any equations on this?

#20256 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

You digress? You made a position statement about "way scarier stuff going on." I want to know what you are referring to. And this is your long winded answer that dances around in obfuscation in an effort to do anything but answer my question. You should consider a career in politics

Like Jeff Pastor?

#20257 3 years ago

On this virus "going away on it's own".

Well, we better hope so, because nothing mankind does is going to make it go away.

It took three full years for the 1918 pandemic to go away, which it pretty much did on it's own.

#20258 3 years ago

To be dying of COVID and in denial about it, very sad and hard to comprehend the ignorance out there:

https://news.yahoo.com/south-dakota-er-nurse-recalls-151800579.html

#20259 3 years ago

I met a friend for drinks last week, we sat 6 feet apart, outside under a pop up tent and heater they had set up on the street, and wore masks when our server came. It felt safe until I went into the bar wearing a mask to use the bathroom and there were probably 6 or 8 people sitting inside with no masks on.

People eating and drinking inside at bars and restaurants is I'm sure what's responsible for our current surge, as well as Halloween and the election. As of tonight at midnight new restrictions go in place here, no patrons can eat or drink inside at bars and restaurants, it's to go and outside service only. I bet by December 7th we will see the third wave mellowing out in Washington.

#20260 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I'll give you a hint..

pasted_imag (resized).pngpasted_imag (resized).png
#20261 3 years ago

Because the people here in CA have chosen to ignore safety protocols, most of the state today got downgraded to the most restrictive level. Last week, 13 of the 58 counties were in the worst "purple" tier; this week, it's 41, and most of the remainder got downgraded to the second-worst "red" tier. I still see people going maskless, wearing them wrong, waiting until the last second to put them on (right before entering a store's doorway), and it's common knowledge that "gatherings" have been ongoing, often unprotected, with many around Halloween or just after the election. Act stupid, pay the price. Here in the bluest of blue states, it's not a "freedom" thing, it's a "free and dumb" thing.

#20262 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You live in New York, don’t you?
I guess you think it’s funny that people who will have nothing to do with distributing the vaccine in a few months are threatening to keep you and your family from getting the vaccine because of petty grudges?
It’s no joke to me. You and me gotta stick together. New York strong baby!!!! We gotta get this vaccine going so you and I can hang out.

agreed but deblasio and cuomo fighting with the powers that be dont helps us any. a few months ago cuomo was saying how well the govt did to get new york help now he is talking alot of crap the same crap and negativity that they say the POTUS is always spewing. the election is over. time for cuomo to act like a governor. and time for POTUS to step it up on all this bullcrap. the problem with the politicians is the partisanship is really out of control and the working stiff have to pay the price. politicians dont care because they will be the very first to get the vaccine. get it to everyone who wants the vaccine and stop talking negative about it because the more people that get it the more likely we go back to our normal lives. i agree with you sir.

#20263 3 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

To be dying of COVID and in denial about it, very sad and hard to comprehend the ignorance out there:
https://news.yahoo.com/south-dakota-er-nurse-recalls-151800579.html

My wife has had similar experiences in her practice, except the patients either haven’t progressed to hospital stage yet or are already on the other side of it.

She had a patient the other day who was on follow up after being discharged from the icu that laughed at her for wearing a face shield.

#20264 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

The majority of my extended family is treating the holidays as if there isn’t a pandemic. Those numbers seem very conservative at least for my state.

#20265 3 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

South Australia has totally ruined Australia's 8 days straight of 0 local infections .
With their incompetence to be able to do Hotel quarantine , they have a fresh wave which is growing rapidly .
After Victoria's Hotel quarantine failure , you would have thought they would have learnt some lessons - but no .
No police or army guarding the hotels , you've got to be joking .
Because of their know-it-all attitude and smugness , they have put everyone in jeopardy and are holding the Country Back .
So now they are back too harsh restrictions and states are closing their borders to them .

Still find it totally insane that the hotel international arrivals quarantine workers were not required to have regular covid tests. I mean, they are in daily contact with positive cases and yet they weren't even required to have weekly tests (should have been daily!). This new outbreak is not the fault of the quarantine workers, it is the health department bureaucrats that should have known better (they have had plenty of time) and of course the state premier.

Sad thing is they still have the border closed to Vic LOL .... (and no, I don't believe in state border closures ... just hotspot containment)

Certainly a wake up call for the rest of Australia (and other countries that are going for total eradication).

Going to be a lot of unhappy people here in Australia this xmas

#20266 3 years ago

https://www.pennlive.com/news/2020/11/coronavirus-in-pa-nearly-9700-new-cases-reported-in-2-days-as-hospitalizations-grow.html

I swear....these states, it's like a death race to the bottom.

Unbelievable - and during my 15 minutes tonight for a (masked) food pickup at my Rutters convenience store (with nobody around me in 12 ft.), FIVE people - masked - entered to pay for gas or buy things, while THIRTY-TWO (32!) entered in the same time frame WITHOUT masks as required in PA retail establishments. As I left thru one door, 1 of the 32 sneezed and another coughed.

Yeah, this whole 'we suggest people wear masks, we're relying on them being considerate' BS is the real ugly factor nobody here wants to admit.

My County is approaching 18% positives, our hospital has a full floor of COVID-19 patients, and our state wants counties under 5%.
59 of 67 counties today are labeled "substantial community spread."

GOOD LUCK getting under 5% positive with no enforcement at all. UGH.

#20267 3 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Is this virus capable of mutating to render the 1st vaccine useless? Just can't stop thinking of that. Do we have any equations on this?

Yes just like the common cold or flu, the virus is capable of mutating to a different strain. As to whether the vaccines being developed will protect against different strains is really yet to be determined - it depends upon the specifics of the mutation as well as how the vaccine targets the virus.

Researches have detected mutations in southern Chile - "Scientists say the mutations may make the virus more contagious but do not necessarily make it more deadly, nor do they necessarily inhibit the effectiveness of a potential vaccine."
(Ref: https://www.reuters.com/article/health-coronavirus-chile-mutation-idUSKBN26U07Y)

#20268 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

On this virus "going away on it's own".
Well, we better hope so, because nothing mankind does is going to make it go away.
It took three full years for the 1918 pandemic to go away, which it pretty much did on it's own.

And the world had a lot fewer people to spread it too and we didn’t move around as much/ easily.

#20269 3 years ago

CA has gone purple..looking forward to the future.

F8089423-9AC5-4D6E-B10E-5F710ECB128A.gifF8089423-9AC5-4D6E-B10E-5F710ECB128A.gif

#20270 3 years ago

Kansas is starting to get serious about Covid. All the bars now have to close at 10pm.

#20271 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Kansas is starting to get serious about Covid. All the bars now have to close at 10pm.

Why, is that when COVID has finished drinking at home and decides to go out?

#20272 3 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

Yes just like the common cold or flu, the virus is capable of mutating to a different strain. As to whether the vaccines being developed will protect against different strains is really yet to be determined - it depends upon the specifics of the mutation as well as how the vaccine targets the virus.
Researches have detected mutations in southern Chile - "Scientists say the mutations may make the virus more contagious but do not necessarily make it more deadly, nor do they necessarily inhibit the effectiveness of a potential vaccine."
(Ref: https://www.reuters.com/article/health-coronavirus-chile-mutation-idUSKBN26U07Y)

The possibilities are almost endless...

Israel is symbyosis, aparently. Most have virus, with no covid... according to that doctor and his mates there a few posts back. Neither of these seemed to get much coverage at all.

On the SA thing, I never said SA was free of corruption. Chances are that cluster wasn't by accident, either...

#20273 3 years ago
Quoted from Jdfitzy-in-Aus:

Why, is that when COVID has finished drinking at home and decides to go out?

Statistics show the majority of transmission occurs between patrons who arrive or extend their visit past 10pm. It's a numbers game.

#20275 3 years ago

If there are so many cases and people not wearing masks where you're at, can't you avoid the situation with curbside pick-up and delivery? I avoid entering stores unless I absolutely have to and go at off hours when social distancing is easy. There are ways to avoid no-maskers.

#20276 3 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Vaccines are generally based on core antigens which generally do not mutate or mutate very slowly over time. So, it’s unlikely that this coronavirus will mutate and make the vaccines useless.

The virus certainly can mutate but vaccine developers know this and design their vaccines accordingly.

#20277 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Is this the whole state or just your county? I have not heard that for Shawnee county, I believe it's still midnight here.

#20278 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

In a discouraging update, Scott Atlas (a task force covid advisor) was on the TVs yesterday advocating that everyone should spend one last Thanksgiving with their elderly relatives.

Not. Helping.

#20279 3 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

That very posibility raised in this european news report. Significantly mutated strain found in humans from the Mink epidemic... cv20?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread/page/406#post-5966785

#20280 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

In a discouraging update, Scott Atlas (a task force covid advisor) was on the TVs yesterday advocating that everyone should spend one last Thanksgiving with their elderly relatives.

Not. Helping.

That dude is just insane! Seriously, where did they find this quack?

#20281 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

The Kiss of Death approach?

#20282 3 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Fox News. No joke.

#20283 3 years ago
Quoted from henrydwh:

Is this the whole state or just your county? I have not heard that for Shawnee county, I believe it's still midnight here.

I'll have to go back and reread. It might be just Sedgwick county.

#20284 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

Not. Helping.

Must be a stimulus plan.
Kill off your elderly and spend your inheritance.

#20285 3 years ago
Quoted from EJS:

And the world had a lot fewer people to spread it too and we didn’t move around as much/ easily.

The soldiers shipping back and forth during WWI were one of the major spreaders, but yes a lot fewer people in the world at the time. 50-100 million dead before it was all over says it was some pretty serious stuff. It was the second wave with a mutated form of the virus that was the most deadly.

Quoted from Vino:

CA has gone purple..looking forward to the future.

Gotta wonder how long before most of the small businesses and families that depend on some kind of income that have been struggling over the last 8 months can survive that part of the equation.

#20286 3 years ago

So I have been through this thing and cleared by public health nurse. She told me once you have beaten Covid the antibodies can last up to two months. That's what they speculate anyway? So if that's true can a vaccine be effective for a period longer than that? If so how does that work?

#20287 3 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Also, his specialty is radiology. Because when dealing with an airborne virus you need the medical expertise of a guy trained in radiology.

That's like taking your vehicle with major collision damage to Jiffy Lube for repair.

#20288 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I'll have to go back and reread. It might be just Sedgwick county.

I just saw where all of our school districts are going back to remote learning here in Shawnee county and 1 of our 2 hospitals has hit max capacity due to COVID.

#20289 3 years ago
Quoted from twoplays25c:

Unbelievable - and during my 15 minutes tonight for a (masked) food pickup at my Rutters convenience store (with nobody around me in 12 ft.), FIVE people - masked - entered to pay for gas or buy things, while THIRTY-TWO (32!) entered in the same time frame WITHOUT masks as required in PA retail establishments. As I left thru one door, 1 of the 32 sneezed and another coughed.
Yeah, this whole 'we suggest people wear masks, we're relying on them being considerate' BS is the real ugly factor nobody here wants to admit.

So where I live there is 100% compliance with mask wearing in stores, if someone walks in without one, they make them put one on or leave. There is also an online form to report any business violating the policy and the cops will show up. I feel like you can get there with mask compliance if you make it easy to report violations and businesses and police are willing to enforce it. Yes, it means confronting people that are selfish and don't care about the health of their community and they may be belligerent and mean, but anyone that works retail has dealt with those kinds of people plenty of times already.

#20290 3 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

So I have been through this thing and cleared by public health nurse. She told me once you have beaten this thing the antibodies can last up to two months. That's what they speculate anyway? So if that's true can a vaccine be effective for a period longer than that? If so how does that work?

Let me just say I am glad you made it through it. I was going to message you and see how you were doing.

As far as how long the vaccine will be effective, from what I have read they are still uncertain about that. Definitely not like your childhood vaccinations that keep you immune for years up to a lifetime I'd imagine. A coronavirus vaccine is still uncharted waters, as they have never made a successful one in the past. The fact that you already had it probably gives you at least some added protection.

#20291 3 years ago
FB_IMG_1605626094763 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1605626094763 (resized).jpg
#20292 3 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

So I have been through this thing and cleared by public health nurse. She told me once you have beaten this thing the antibodies can last up to two months. That's what they speculate anyway? So if that's true can a vaccine be effective for a period longer than that? If so how does that work?

Lasting immunity is still very much an open question at this point. It may be that we need annual boosters, or some other booster regimen. I think they (vaccine manufacturers) are shooting for at least a year, but obviously, there hasn’t been enough time to prove that out yet.

Vaccines “can” activate the immune system differently/more targeted/more efficiently if designed correctly.

The Pfizer vaccine science by press release showed 90% effective immunity...for two weeks. They need to let the inoculated exist in the world for some more time to get some real data.

Moderna science by press release stated theirs is 94+% effective, but not sure on their time frame. I suspect they also only have a handful of weeks of data at this point too.

#20293 3 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

The possibilities are almost endless...

Israel is symbyosis, aparently. Most have virus, with no covid... according to that doctor and his mates there a few posts back. Neither of these seemed to get much coverage at all.
On the SA thing, I never said SA was free of corruption. Chances are that cluster wasn't by accident, either...

Gotta get me some of them red pills
200w.gif200w.gif

#20294 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

The soldiers shipping back and forth during WWI were one of the major spreaders, but yes a lot fewer people in the world at the time. 50-100 million dead before it was all over says it was some pretty serious stuff. It was the second wave with a mutated form of the virus that was the most deadly.

While my county commissioners and city officials waffle on how to prioritize the economy vs. Covid, the city library is taking no chances. Would you like a book? You put it writing and a library employee will go get it and bring it to you. Forget going inside and sitting down and reading the paper or magazine. Oh, and masks are required before you step into the lobby. The library is NFA.

For months I have been wanting to go to the old newspapers (on film) section and look back into the 1918 papers and see how those people were actually living with the 1918 virus. No dice. Nobody goes in. Bummer.

It is like comparing, on a historical basis, what we read and see about WW II. But when you go look at old newspapers of the era you get a different viewpoint because what was going to happen tomorrow was just as unknown to them as it is to us today.

With the 1918 pandemic, we have the benefit of hind sight and know it lasted 3 years and that the 2nd wave was the worst. And we are using that 100 year old data in trying to extrapolate what is in front of us; Sort of like today's generals fighting the last war.

But we don't know what tomorrow brings. Maybe the vaccine will work; Maybe it won't; This time, it could last 5 years. No one knows what is around the corner, but everybody knows what happens when the money quits circulating.

#20295 3 years ago

Some Michigan Tribal casinos, which closed prior to the March shutdowns in many cases, are telling "that woman in Michigan" to go pound sand in the face of the order that goes into effect at 12:01 AM on November 18th.

thgfuy767766 (resized).jpgthgfuy767766 (resized).jpgSoaring_Covid_Release.pdfSoaring_Covid_Release.pdfct87436769 (resized).PNGct87436769 (resized).PNGGLCPIS1 (resized).PNGGLCPIS1 (resized).PNGGLCPIS2 (resized).PNGGLCPIS2 (resized).PNG
#20296 3 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

So I have been through this thing and cleared by public health nurse. She told me once you have beaten Covid the antibodies can last up to two months. That's what they speculate anyway? So if that's true can a vaccine be effective for a period longer than that? If so how does that work?

The vaccines that are nearing completion from Pfizer and Moderna are administered in two doses - the first dose causes your body to being producing antibodies - the 2nd dose is administered weeks later and has the effect of alerting your body that it may still be under attack, so it produces more antibodies, and for a much longer period of time.

The effect here is that enough people will have natural immunity or have been inoculated. Once the virus cannot spread to any more hosts, it begins to fade away.

It will never go away though. There will always be a presence somewhere on the planet. We're just trying to speed along herd immunity with a vaccine, that's all.

#20297 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I was going to message you and see how you were doing.

I thought you said *massage* for about 4 seconds there. I didn't know y'all were that close, lol.

I must need some coffee........

#20298 3 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

Not. Helping.

Unfortunately for a lot of families, myself included, that one last Thanksgiving with elderly relatives was last year. Makes no sense for him saying that now that it's been around for so long.

#20299 3 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

I must need some coffee........

Or you just thought you were in the wrong thread?

There are 28,792 posts in this topic. You are on page 406 of 576.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-coronavirus-containment-thread/page/406?hl=clg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.